Cain to Piers Morgan: I’m anti-abortion yet pro-choice

posted at 10:40 am on October 20, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Maybe Herman Cain is trying too hard to be likable. He doesn’t need to enter attack mode or anything, but it would help if he didn’t pander to lefty media hosts, either. I have to assume that’s what this is — unless Cain really doesn’t think it’s the government’s business to ban abortion?

Last night, Cain told Piers Morgan that “life begins at conception” and said he opposes abortion “in all cases.” But when Morgan pressed him with typical questions about whether Cain would want his daughter or granddaughter to have a child conceived by rape or incest, Cain dodged. First, he told Morgan he was confusing two separate matters (apples and oranges, perhaps?). But, then, he said this, apparently still in reference to what he thinks about cases involving rape:

No, it comes down to is, it’s not the government’s role — or anybody else’s role — to make that decision. Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidents, you’re not talking about that big a number. So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t try to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive decision.

Watch:

Huh?

This isn’t the first time Cain has seemed to contradict himself on the abortion issue. In an interview with John Stossel earlier this month, Cain circled around and around Stossel’s frank questions, defaulting to stock phrases like “I’m pro-life” and “life begins at conception” — but also “that’s her choice.” When Stossel asked him if abortion should be legal, though, he flat-out said “no.” That suggests that, in general at least, he does think it’s the government’s role to “make that decision.”

And in an interview with Meet the Press’ David Gregory, Cain said he opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest because “the percentage of those instances is so minuscule that there are other options.” But “if it’s the life of the mother, that family is going to have to make that decision.”

If you put all the pieces together, at best it seems Cain believes abortion is wrong “in all cases,” should be illegal in most cases and should be a choice in some cases.

But it’s also possible he meant what he said to Piers Morgan, when he used pretty sweeping language to supposedly address exceptional cases: “It’s not the government’s role — or anybody else’s role — to make that decision.” It seems possible he’s bought into the idea that a complete government ban on abortion would somehow be an encroachment on individual freedom, rather than the most fundamental protection of it possible. Without life, what is liberty?

Yet, in 2003, he said he would support a Human Life Amendment, which would ultimately completely ban abortion. And, again, he told Stossel he thinks abortion should be illegal.

Quite confusing — and we can’t turn to his executive or legislative record to see what his actions on the issue have said. Whether his circumlocution should disqualify him with strictly pro-life voters is a matter for debate, but it would certainly help if Cain would clarify this by stating his position unequivocally.

For example (if this is his position), he could simply say: “I think abortion should be illegal and whether a person has a right to life is never another person’s choice to make.”

Or (if this is his position), he could say: “I think abortion should be illegal except in cases of rape, incest or when the life of the mother is at stake.”

Or (if this is his position), he could say: “I think abortion should be legal, but, culturally speaking, will work to oppose it because I personally believe it is wrong.”

Whatever it is, Mr. Cain, just spit it out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Argh. “a fertilized EGG is alive, distinct, and human”

We really need an “edit” button. I proofread before posting and still missed that one.

wearyman on October 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Apparently, Herman Cain’s position is the same as Rick Perry’s. Against abortion, except for rape, incest or threat of life to the mother.

Wait – when did Cain say he’s against abortion with a rape/incest exception?

In the Stossel video, he says he’s for no exceptions, but the life of the mother is the only one he seemed at all pliable on…right?

He definitely is NOT for the three typical exceptions.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM

On the other hand I do believe that government should protect people from murder, and I believe abortion is the murder of the most innocent and defenseless among us.

Me too. And yes, *I* think even abortion of a fetus in the case of rape, incest or mother’s health is murder. However, in those very limited cases (and no I don’t mean mother may have a bit of anxiety), I’d have a very hard time having anyone, including the US Government, dictate my beliefs.

katablog.com on October 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Contraception is nothing but the murder of millions of potential babies.

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Let’s run with this guys.

I doubt anyone can actually prove that.

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Look at the abortion stats yourself. Blacks account for like 40% of all abortions. They vote democrat, like 94% of the time. So, yeah, good luck with denying it’s reality.

Viva la choice!

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Roe effect. Far more democrats are getting abortions.
I’m all in favor of democrats aborting their future voters! Yay for choice.
lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I doubt anyone can actually prove that. But even if it is true, there’s no question that thousands of GOP women and their daughters get abortions every month in the USA.
bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Although it’s silly to quibble about the numbers, I agree with the general idea that can’t make a Dem-GOP divide on who has/hasn’t had an abortion based on that.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

If you don’t protect that – then society disintegrates – which is pretty much what’s been happening for the last 50 years.

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, it’s a tough argument to make that abortion is the cause of our debt and growing government.

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Rampant abortion is a symptom same as rampant financial sector corruption. It all represents a decline in the general morality of society, but that’s the rub for most libertarian types. They can’t wrap their mind around society, and yet a nod must be given to maintaining the norms society. Libertarians can’t seem to walk that tight rope.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The fact is, Republican women — and their daughters — are getting abortions all the time in America.

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM

yup, and that hand-picked Judas fellow made a spectacle out of Christianity – except for one thing. When one’s actions are directly opposite what they claim is right then don’t blame the label -blame fallen man.

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Cain lost national security and social conservatives in a matter of three days. What a joke.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM

katablog.com on October 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM

If you agree it is murder, how could you have qualms about the government criminalizing it? That does not constitue them dictating your beliefs, just upholding the rights of all citizens to live, including those still in the womb.

Hiya Ciska on October 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Hiya Ciska on October 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Thanks!

wearyman on October 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM

The fact is, Democratic men – and their sons – are raping the elderly and infirm all the time in America.

See, I can lie about stuff too.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM

You actually believe that Republican women don’t get abortions?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

BruthaMan,

Give me a break. Herman Cain will issue a rambling and thoroughly incoherent statement trying to “walk back” his remarks within the next 48 hours. Brace yourself for it.

Mike Honcho on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I understand what Cain is trying to say. He says that he himself is anti-abortion but he does not believe in shoving his personal values down the throats of others or using government to do that.

While he himself is anti-abortion, he believes that individuals should have the right to make up their own minds. In other words, he would personally counsel someone not to have one but ultimately it is their decision.

I think that is the correct approach. If I want my personal values respected, I have to respect those of others and not attempt to force them to live by mine.

Get the federal government completely out of the abortion issue and allow each individual state (or even better, each individual county) to decide the issue.

crosspatch on October 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

You actually believe that Republican women don’t get abortions?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

You actually believe that a significant number do?

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Does it make you feel good if Republican women get abortions? Do you crave the murder of children? Just asking, ‘cuz that’s how you are coming across.

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Republicans haven’t saved a single baby in America. In fact, their polarizing approach to abortion politics has merely helped entrench and harden the political lines.

There are plenty of liberal socialist democracies with low abortion rates where abortion is legal and better regulated.

If you want to lower the abortion rate, support the sanctity of ALL life in ALL cases.

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Nice try, doofus. YOUR GUY IS TOAST.

gracie on October 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM

What Herman Actually needs is for the other candidates to attack him more. I know it sounds crazy but think about it, the more you are challenged on your positions and gaffes, the more you learn what to say and how to say it. Competition.

Daemonocracy on October 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Actually, Cain’s position will be seen by most people as reasonable.

flataffect on October 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Wrong and evil are wrong and evil. I don’t give the chose crowd any ground to trump that. Wrong is wrong, evil is evil. Period.

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Are we all letting Cain get away with stupid comments cause he is black and we are sooooo afarid to keep him at the standards ALL GOP candidates need to keep?

charmingtail on October 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Petunia–STFU!

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

crosspatch on October 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It isn’t a question of personal values. It is a question of human rights. If the government does not protect the life of the innocent baby in favor of protecting the privacy right of the mother, it has turned rights upside down.

Hiya Ciska on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

“It’s true…because I said it.”

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

So that whole state’s rights thing….when we say we’re totally for it…we mean not really, but sometimes?

DLEW on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Mike Honcho on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Oy vey. He hired Rick Perry as his press liaison?

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Wait – when did Cain say he’s against abortion with a rape/incest exception?

He definitely is NOT for the three typical exceptions.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM

My perception is that he’s adamantly against abortion, period. Not “for” automatic abortion in those cases, but as he said:

“It ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make, not me as president, not some politician, not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family, and whatever they decide, they decide.”

That is in the context of rape/incest.

Regardless, there’s no question he’s adamantly pro-life. The only two candidates I’ve looked into, that are against all cases period, no exceptions, are Bachmann and Santorum.

So for those disparaging Cain on this liberal red herring, unless this is their single greatest issue and believe those two candidates can change this in our country, and are planning on voting for them, they really need to take a look at their own candidate’s position.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

You actually believe that Republican women don’t get abortions?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

You actually believe that there aren’t Democratic rapists?

Good Solid B-Plus on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Cain was chiding Morgan for mixing the two questions of abortion on the one hand and raising the child on the other hand. He then goes on to say it’s not anyone’s business whether they decide to raise the child or not. He was talking about adoption.

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Actually, Cain’s position will be seen by most people as reasonable.

flataffect on October 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Once the true believers translate his words, right?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Humbling? I’ll take that humble all the way to my maker.

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Pro-choice is pro-abortion. I don’t know of anyone, unless they have some form of mental impairment, who would choose to be aborted. “he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave”

quiz1 on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

MadisonConservative I am not calling Cain people racist… that is dumb…

charmingtail on October 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM
fify, Petunia

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

crosspatch on October 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

That’s the Democrat position as it keeps abortion safe, legal and… legal. His statements thus far — from 9-9-9, Gitmo, to abortion — is a treasure trove of attack ads. Cain is pretty much finished save for the handful of his most devoted followers “interpreting” and deciphering for us all What Herman Cain Really Meant to Say Was(TM).

Too bad these same people don’t have Obama’s supposedly billion dollar campaign war chest to correct Herman Cain when he “misspeaks”.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Sorry, you lost me.

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Actually, Cain’s position will be seen by most people as reasonable.

flataffect on October 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

And good luck explaining this “reasonable” headline:

Herman Cain Says Jesus Was ‘a Perfect Conservative’ Who Was Condemned By a ‘Liberal Court’

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

You actually believe that Republican women don’t get abortions?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I love your shtick. You tar conservatives as hypocrites because they don’t live up to their morals, but you’re liberal leaders are completely safe from hypocrisy because they have no morals to violate.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

So punchenko, who do you support?

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Check out the Stossel clip.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Limerick, my apologies, I was trying to quote this one:

Actually, Cain’s position will be seen by most people as reasonable.

flataffect on October 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Forgive me.

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

You actually believe that a significant number do?

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

You know, who cares what I think? You sure as heck don’t, right?

The abortion issue is a red-meat topic that BOTH conservatives and libs of small minds love to indulge in discussing. It’s the equivalent of a cheap buzz from bad weed. You feel good raging about it, and so do I. Nothing’s solved and no one gets hurt.

Tina Korbe’s decided it’s going to be her pet issue, and there are dozens of angry Hot Airheads champing at the bit to rage about it.

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

BruthaMan,

Mike Honcho on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

As requested.

Why would he walk back on it? It was a perfectly legitimate position that most on the right tend to agree with.

Who is your candidate and what is their position on this issue? I’ve listed most of them in an earlier post.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

no harm no foul…we all have button issues

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

And he’s a front-runner?

But Ron Paul’s apparently the nutcase.

Drum on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

neuquenguy on October 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Health is life…that’s how it “fits” or at least that would be the argument…

right2bright on October 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM

You actually believe that there aren’t Democratic rapists?

Good Solid B-Plus on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

OK, I’ll move my D6 king in front of your C7 queen. “No, of course not!” Your move.

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM

It’s not good to project your thoughts on other people. This comment says a lot about your position.

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Look at the context. Morgan ask him if his daughter were raped would he want her to RAISE the child to which he answers…You are confusing two different matters. Obviously abortion vs. RAISING the child.

Then he says, “So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t try to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive decision.”

Context: It is the family or mother’s decision on whether to RAISE the child. It is clear if you put it in context after he clearly stated that Morgan was mixing two different issues…because Morgan changed the subject from abortion to “raising” a child.

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

You know, who cares what I think?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Uh-oh. Someone got caught pushing bulls**t.

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Watch the Stossel clip.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

And he’s a front-runner?

But Ron Paul’s apparently the nutcase.

Drum on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Ron Paul is starting to sound like the more reasonable one, although I disagree with him on foreign policy (most of the time). Him playing “gotchya” with the Reagan comment night before last was very unnecessary and disrespectful of Reagan. I’m glad Newt immediately responded. But I do agree with him on getting rid of 5 federal departments. In fact, I would probably go even further, and consolidate some of them together or get rid of them altogether.

NathanG on October 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Ah, armchair interwebs “projection” jujitsu. Right up there with Godwin’s law. Got me!

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

And by the way, I haven’t been raging over the issue. If you had two brain cells to rub together, you might have noticed that I take Cain’s view on this – that abortion is awful, should be discouraged, and should not be funded with tax dollars…but should not be outlawed except by state-by-state referendums.

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

You actually believe that a significant number do?

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

You know, who cares what I think? You sure as heck don’t, right?

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Tossing out red meat is the job description for “political blogger”, so I can’t fault Tina or anyone on that account.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

ahhhhhhhhh I get it..we go to war to protect one month olds but forget the unborn…….

spits on sidewalk

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Pokemon…proof that the more you stir the garbage, the more it stinks…

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Sorry, I only play fifty-four dimensional space chess, ala Obama.

But even in 54DSC, moving into check is an illegal move. Of course, you need two sextants, the Large Hadron Collider and a pile of oracle bones to determine when you’re in check, but that’s what makes the game so charming.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

It’s Cain or Romney

Neither is perfect. I’ll take Cain

DaMav on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

So punchenko, who do you support?

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

As I recall, he once said he was leaning towards Romney. But I believe he is one of those that like to trash everyone else’s candidate, but not really disclose who she is for.

Which makes the whole “What Herman Cain Really Meant to Say Was” argument a futile exercise in hypocrisy…of the tallest order.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I would pretty much agree, with the addition that inventing rights shouldn’t be within the scope of the Sumpremes.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Lorien1973,

Hard to imagine even Rick Perry blowing a question this bad.

Frankly the only wrong answer to the question Piers Morgan posed was the answer Herman Cain gave. If Herman Cain said he was staunchly pro-life, pro-life Republicans would have rallied to support him. If Herman Can had said he was pro-choice, pro-choice Republicans would have flocked to his standard. His weasely words will only serve to alienate him in equal measure from both constituencies.

Mike Honcho on October 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Watched the Stossel clip and understand the confusion. But he clearly said, “No, people should not be free to abort.” And…”abortion should not be legal.” At the end he said he doesn’t think a woman should have an abortion.

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

She isn’t really tossing out red meat.

She is an advocate and she is proselytizing.

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

BruthaMan

That explains A LOT. Thanks again.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I’m enjoying the irony.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Actually, Cain’s position will be seen by most people as reasonable.

flataffect on October 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Once they’re able to wander through the maze of his thought process and figure out what it actually is.

When it always seems to take half a dozen HotAir commenters to translate what you said and beat everyone else about the head and neck with it, you have a communication problem.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Where is Rudy Guiliani when we really need him? We are on the verge of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here.

JFS61 on October 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

BruthaMan

That explains A LOT. Thanks again.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

He supports Newt.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM

For what it is worth to people: A majority of freepers think Cain spoke clearly about RAISING the child and not about abortion.

Jay on October 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

But Ron Paul’s apparently the nutcase.
Drum on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

No, he’s got some great ideas. That would be Bachmann

But the real pain in the patoot is that obnoxious sanctimonious jerk Santorum. He should be shown the door before he does anymore damage to each and every one of the other candidates. Talk about extreme. Family man should go home and help his wife raise their 7 kids including one very special needs child who must be a 24/7 concern.

gracie on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

He supports Newt.

MeatHeadinCA

Oh good L*rd. Yet he thinks Cain is a guaranteed loser…

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You are mistaken. Perry signed an anti-abortion pledge which includes no such provisions.

theCork on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

JFS61 on October 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

And it is only October 2011. I still can’t understand how some think the boys and girls in the cigar lounge still hold out that they’ll finally do something smart.

Limerick on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

JFS61 on October 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Really? You think any of this matters? Get out of bed and go up on deck and see how many icebergs are circling the Titanic at this very moment.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Good grief. People are parsing this man’s words trying to figure out what he meant, when the man himself doesn’t know what he means. Talk about desperate!

If he does know what he means, then he would have said it, and yet he didn’t. The only other explanation beside him being a confused soul, is that he’s two-faced and a liar.

When people don’t speak clearly, it’s a sign that they don’t think clearly, or it’s a sign that they’re dishonest – kind of like what Greenspan did before Congress. Like minds.

Drum on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

So punchenko, who do you support?

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I like Newt and could settle for Perry.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

gracie on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Knuckledragging Neanderthal, eh?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I like Newt and can settle for Perry. The only folks who are leaning Romney are the ones propping up Cain and that gaffing mouth of his.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Punchenko, I could support Perry, but Newt? WTH?
No, he’d be good for a cabinet position.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

It seems like Perry would get wasted in a debate against Obama. Hope I’m wrong though.

withmanitisimpossible on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Here is the iceberg that surfaced yesterday.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Knuckledragging Neanderthal, eh?
MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM

you betcha

gracie on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Punchenko, I could support Perry, but Newt? WTH?
No, he’d be good for a cabinet position.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Newt’s the man. And he’s right. In a battle of substance, he’d destroy Obama.

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I’m enjoying the irony.

DFCtomm on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Got anything more, or is being vague your goal?

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Oh good L*rd. Yet he thinks Cain is a guaranteed loser…

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Cain is guaranteed loser — the man is a fool. He managed to alienate both national security cons and social cons in less than three days.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Newt’s the man. And he’s right. In a battle of substance, he’d destroy Obama.

lorien1973

True, but too many skeletons the media would beat him to death with.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Roe effect. Far more democrats are getting abortions.
I’m all in favor of democrats aborting their future voters! Yay for choice.
lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Even though I strongly disagree with you on abortion, you point is true. If abortion were illegal, the Dems would win more elections in the future, unless we can make minorities more conservative.

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Newt’s the man. And he’s right. In a battle of substance, he’d destroy Obama.

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

It would be nice to have a GOP campaign the revolves around ideas and substance which would be a stark contrast from Obama’s vapid sloganeering and divisiveness. Newt can also speak and think on his feet which is a plus.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Punchenko

The alienation is yet to be seen.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Nah, in reality he only managed to provide red meat fodder for some blogs, i.e. a teapot tempest.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I like Newt

Listen, Punch, Newtie wouldn’t approve of the way you tear Cain and the others down, but u are better off with him than Perry …don’t u hear that giant sucking sound going South back to Texas yet?

gracie on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

theCork on October 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

That contrasts with:

That could bode well for Perry, who supports a federal constitutional amendment to prevent same-sex marriage and believes abortion should only be legal in cases of rape, incest or when necessary for maternal health.

Another source:

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Cain can have whatever position on abortion he’s comfortable with, as far as I’m concerned. All I’m really discussing is why it takes a team of Philadelphia lawyers to figure out what it is.

I still think it’s incorrect to say that he has the same position as Rick Perry. It sounds like Cain is not at all moderate on a personal level. It sounds like he’s against abortion in all circumstances – it sounded like he personally would understand the life of the mother exception for someone else (or not?) but it’s unclear whether he would make it for his own daughter – I’m getting the impression he wouldn’t…?.

Why is this so hard?

Cain’s communication skills need some work, and that’s a criticism he deserves.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Let’s put it this way. If you can get rid of Roe v Wade, then you can probably also get the welfare spigot turned off. Problem solved.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

True, but too many skeletons the media would beat him to death with.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I’m not convinced Newt’s skeletons are any worse than anyone else’s at this point. And they are dramatically fewer than Obama’s. So as usual this election will turn on how many Americans believe the MSM vs. their own lying eyes. It will be the same for whoever we nominate.

Meh on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

bifidis on October 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Telling the truth does that. So you prefer to be lied to?

dominigan on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

This is what I understood Perry’s position to be. I’ll do some checking to confirm, too.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Cain’s communication skills need some work, and that’s a criticism he deserves.

capitalist piglet

True.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Cain just posted this statement on Facebook: “I’m 100% pro-life. End of Story.”

mfrantom on October 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

True, but too many skeletons the media would beat him to death with.

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Newt’s marital issues won’t matter — last time I checked the MSM was crowing about how Newt spends too much money on his third wife. Fail.

Let us not forget that Obama won after sitting in a racist’s church for twenty some-odd years while having not a single life accomplishment to his name.

The abortion issue and national security, on the other hand, will matter and Cain flubbed both answers.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

See. Now this is a good point.

lorien1973 on October 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I think I said that. (Did I?) Thank you. : )

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM