Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on October 19, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I know that Eleanor Clift included this anecdote in her Newsweek article as a slam at Energy Secretary Stephen Chu, but as I wrote yesterday, it says a lot more about Barack Obama than his Cabinet appointee.

Internally, some have questioned Energy Secretary Steven Chu’s role in overseeing the efforts, noting that the Nobel laureate with the keen grasp of physics at times seems to lack political skills. On one occasion, Chu prepared a dense PowerPoint presentation to brief Obama on the complexities of last summer’s BP oil spill. After Chu narrated six slides, one senior adviser who attended the meeting recalled that Obama simply stood up and said, “Steve, I’m done.”

Remember when the media described George W. Bush as “intellectually incurious”?  I’m pretty sure that Bush could make it through more than six Power Point slides explaining a severe environmental accident.  A Cabinet Secretary shouldn’t need “political skills” to get a President to pay attention on issues of importance.

Comments

I won!

i don’t need to pay attention

cmsinaz on October 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM

“Yada, yada…Steve. Just tell me were to stand for the best photo-ops”

Caper29 on October 19, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Ouch. Does Obama have ADD?

Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Pure speculation, Ed. GW had the benefit of not having to sit through Steven Chu’s powerpoint presentation. Who knows…he might have shoved sharp pencils in his ears and gouged his own eyes out to get away from it. Obama just got bored because it wasn’t about him.

SKYFOX on October 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM

(standing up) “Barack, we’re done.”

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Ouch. Does Obama have ADD?

Worse. He has me,me, me.

sandee on October 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM

If it’s not something praising him, Scooter doesn’t want to hear it.

kingsjester on October 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Obama has Deficit Attention Disorder.

loudmouth883 on October 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Ouch. Does Obama have ADD?

sandee on October 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I got that vibe, too. (Do depression and ADD go together?)

apostic on October 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Correction. Cite quote on my last to Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM, too, please.

apostic on October 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Obama simply stood up and said, “Steve, I’m done.”

From your lips to God’s ears, Barry.

CantCureStupid on October 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM

but he’s so convinced that climate change is man-made…. Has he seen any evidence that he’s willing to sit through and analyze?

nah, just cause them energy prices to skyrocket….we’ve made other bets.

price of business.

ted c on October 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM

He has all the intellectual depth of the last puddle my puppy left on the floor.

Naturally Curly on October 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Now would be a great time for yet two more professors to write yet another book to be promoted by yet more leftist media outlets, detailing how Republicans are anti-science because they don’t believe the Poli Sci Retard in Chief has the power to write policy, and change the weather.

MNHawk on October 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM

apostic on October 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Obama has Deficit Attention Disorder.

loudmouth883 on October 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM

LOL! Priceless!

Josiah on October 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM

SKYFOX on October 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM

If the slideshow were that boring, I think GWB would have just hollered for another pot of coffee.

Sekhmet on October 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Obama has Deficit Attention Disorder.

loudmouth883 on October 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM

+1000

ConservativeMom on October 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Just so we don’t forget

OBAMA FAIL.

Key West Reader on October 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Obama has Deficit Attention Disorder.

loudmouth883 on October 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Hmmmm. DAD. Replaces the Dad he never had.

Vince on October 19, 2011 at 8:34 AM

“Steve, I’m done. Stick a fork in me.”-BHO

Yoop on October 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Translation: “Steve, I’m late for my tee time.”

WordsMatter on October 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM

He is so deficient on so many levels I can’t even believe he got elected, really. The sad thing is there’s a good chance people will elect him again.

scalleywag on October 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Only took 6 slides to know whose a$$ to kick ??
Vacant.

pambi on October 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM

It’s too bad because the 7th slide was labled “This is the ass that needs to be kicked”.

myrenovations on October 19, 2011 at 8:49 AM

How many other meetings and power point presentations has he walked out of when he felt done? We are paying this guy to do a job and he doesn’t want to do it. He has his own skin in another game.

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2011 at 8:51 AM

He doesn’t have ADD, he just doesn’t care.

darwin-t on October 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Let’s just put it this way……in a way that even we serfs can understand.

When you write the bible, and it’s about yourself, why do you need to read it? You already know all the answers.

PappyD61 on October 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM

To be fair, Ed, mentions it first, but ADD meds have known side effects including loss of appetite, restlessness, irritability, tics, depression and mood swings. Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Cocaine too.

Akzed on October 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Obama: Steve, it’s like this, BP’s check cleared.

Dr Evil on October 19, 2011 at 9:01 AM

It was time for a smoke.

docflash on October 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM

While obviously a president should be extremely polite but I would have to be there before I blame him for this. I worked for a principal that would make transparencies (slides?) of book pages and then read them to us or another scenario is that Chu’s explanations might have been too in-depth, I’ve never bought in to the Obama is brilliant theory.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I am the one we have been waiting for why are you bothering me with such mundane trivia. BHO

chemman on October 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM

In this administration, having political skills means realizing that your president is both lazy and stupid, and planning your presentations accordingly.

AZCoyote on October 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Cocaine too.

Akzed on October 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Good Lord, Akzed, what if his narcissism and ADHD are innate and he’s just adding cocaine addiction effects to them? Ticking time bomb?

Extrafishy on October 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Amen!!!

capejasmine on October 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Remember when the media described George W. Bush as “intellectually incurious”? I’m pretty sure that Bush could make it through more than six Power Point slides explaining a severe environmental accident.

Ed, I think you may have gotten this one wrong. See, W was in the evil oil business for a while one of several real world businesses in which he had some real world experience. He probably could have explained the situation to Chu, and in fewer slides.

Barack, on the other hand, is a community organizer. Who knows if he even took a college level science course in his life?

parke on October 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM

This is the same idiot who didn’t know that the Sec of Energy was also responsible for oil.

GarandFan on October 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM

“I don’t need to listen. I know it all already.”–BHO

petefrt on October 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

AZCoyote on October 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Amen, AZ. Amen.

Obama = Dumbo in Chief (aka DIC)

GrannyDee on October 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

My guess is that slide #6 refuted the belief that the oil spill was caused by global warming.

Wingo on October 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Could it be that Obama didn’t need to see any more because he’d just gotten his raison d’etre for further crippling the gas and oil industries in the U.S. by imposing by fiat his ill-conceived and unconstitutional drilling moratorium because of this disaster?

“Never let a crisis go to waste,” according to his fellow Alinsky-ite Rahm.

Where are all the conspiracy theorists who somehow believed the Bush administration was capable of “ordering” and orchestrating the deaths of innocent civilians when they could just as easily posit that Obama’s minions caused the rig explosion in order to accomplish their war on U.S. oil and gas development?

Captain Scarlet on October 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Obama, with his hand raised, “Mr. Chu, can I get a hall pass to use the restroom?” Then Barry goes into a stall to sneak a smoke.

So much for restoring science to it’s rightful place. This is the guy who was going to cool the planet and make the tides recede. The only climate he’s managed to cool is the business climate and to make my retirement account recede into a puddle. Thanks for nothin’, Mr. Wizard.

tpitman on October 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Since Chu is insane, maybe Obama just really had enough of his ranting.

I prefer the Tapper interview where Obama insists he hasn’t made any mistakes. It’s all Republicans’ fault! Mean people suck!

Adjoran on October 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Down here in Louisiana, we quickly noticed last year that Mr Obama was doing an incredibly inept, incompetent job of responding to the BP Oil Spill.

At first there was no reaction at all from the Federal Gummint, then when even his lapdog media began criticizing him, Mr Obama went too far and used the oil spill as an excuse to strangle the entire O&G industry for the recklessness of one bad apple.

Despite several US Federal Court rulings against him, Mr Obama continues to break the law with his “permitorium” against new drilling permits and permit renewals.

I reckon that meatpuppet Mr Obama feels that he needs to practice more crony capitalism by helping out George Soros’s O&G investments down in Brazil via US Gummint permitoriums & bureaucratic footdragging up here. Mr Obama truly doesnt care that freeing up the permit process would create 100,000 real jobs, high paying ones, literally overnight.

Even my Libtard friends here say they won’t vote for Mr Obama next year.

CatchAll on October 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Obama has Deficit Attention Disorder.

loudmouth883 on October 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM