Is “The Walking Dead” a bad show?

posted at 10:09 pm on October 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

I feel about this Kurt Schlichter piece the way I felt circa spring 2008 when someone would tell me McCain was a terrible nominee. I know it’s true, yet for the sake of The Cause, I feel impelled to push back. We needed to beat Obama. We need more zombie shows on TV.

Can we speak ill of TWD without jeopardizing The Cause?

Maybe they could solve the training “problem” by actually training the civilians, but that never seemed to occur to the self-appointed leaders. In fact, the two cops don’t seem interested in preparing the civilians at all. Instead, they spend most of their time talking about their feelings. It’s agonizing…

The ‘TWD‘ producers like to talk about how their show is about the people, not the zombies. Why that’s supposed to be a good thing is unclear. Regardless, part of the payoff should be watching people we like and root for, not ones who are so lame that the entire series seems to consist of them doing stupid things in the first five minutes and then trying to unscrew them for the next hour…

So then they pile out of their vehicles and proceed to talk. And talk. They talk a lot in ‘TWD.’ Mostly about feelings. Hell, the only good thing about a zombie apocalypse would be that it would wring out this society’s insipid embrace of constant discussions of people’s stupid feelings…

The distracting part of ‘TWD’ is not that the characters do dumb things. People do dumb things. But that’s all they do – dumb things. It’s tiresome. It feels like it’s like a whole TV series that consists of nothing but the kind of dumb where the slasher victim’s hot best friend gets out of the shower in a towel to investigate a strange noise. Except there’s no hot girl in a towel, only these dumb dummies.

After watching last week’s episode, I’m thinking they could probably get rid of the guns and just bore the zombies into killing themselves. Initially I thought TWD would be true heir to the Romero legacy; now I think it’s the true heir to “All My Children.” If I wanted five parts soap opera to one part ghoulishness, I’d wait for the movie adaptation of this. The problem, I think, is that they’re trying to springboard off the Romero-esque idea that zombie films are just character studies splattered with entrails. You stick a bunch of people in the pressure cooker of a cannibal undead apocalypse and you watch ‘em cope. Drama. The thing is, there’s actually little character development in Romero’s classics. The good guys are obviously good and the bad guys obviously bad and 95 percent of what they talk about is how to deal with the zombies. The menace of being surrounded is ever present to keep you on edge. In TWD, you’ve got romantic subplots, parent/child subplots, domestic-violence subplots, and, oh yes, an occasional zombie cameo. They’re actually quite good with suspenseful set pieces — hiding under the cars from the zombie herd last week, draping themselves with zombie remains to hide their scent in an episode last season — but those set pieces seem awfully few and far between. Maybe it has to be that way to sustain a dramatic series instead of a two-hour movie, but if so then … I guess The Cause is lost. Tell me I’m wrong. Please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

El_Terrible on October 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM

That may be, but the series has got to survive long enough to get there.

So, what we have to look forward to for the next 6 episodes is all the drama about the kid that got shot. Great, ER with zombies.

I keep waiting for the Asian and the Redneck to come to the realization that they’re better off putting distance between themselves at the other idiots. But, I guess that probably wasn’t in the comics…

Neo-con Artist on October 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I saw the whole first season & premiere of season 2 on Sunday. I was very intrigued, liked the character & story development. That went away quickly after the trip to Atlanta. I agree, too many dumb things, same stuff over & over.

I guess it’s the nature of a series that situations are constantly repeated and the repetition becomes tedious. I felt the same way about 24 (after season 2), Fringe (3 seasons), Heroes (2 seasons), and Surface (6 episodes).

mdenis39 on October 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Love BB…and Justified!

flyfisher on October 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Agreed.

I’ll add The Closer (now winding down) and The Killing. And I was sorely disappointed when AMC didn’t renew Rubicon.

BuckeyeSam on October 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I can just hear the pitch: It’s zombie apocalypse meets Desperate Housewives with a little Glee thrown in.

John the Libertarian on October 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

cynccook on October 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM

That would matter if they were following the graphic novels. Not much of what has happened except from the very first episode has been part of the series.

There were no ‘Vatos’ or ‘Wildfire’ or CDC stuff in any of the first issues of the comic, yet they were all part of the first six episodes last year.

I watched and was underwhelmed, especially given we’ve waited an entire effing year to get this episode. This is what happens when you deviate from your source material.

catmman on October 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

the only good episode was the first.. I stopped watching after about 5 episodes seeing that it was all about the drama and not the zombies and spooky stuff.. I watched the premiere sunday hoping it got better.. but it was just as bad if not worse.. come on the dude and the cop was on top of the rv with a scope and they didn’t see the zombies until they were right on top of them?? and the kid aged about 8 or whatever fell down the hill and didn’t know how to go back up the hill to safety???? it ain’t working.. too bad… i’m done..

hogtrashhd on October 19, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Timothy Olyphant is a man’s man. No beta male bs there.

I need to give Breaking Bad more of chance . It seems everyone I talk to likes it. I still cannot miss SOA though.

CW on October 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I like Timothy Olyphant which is why I tried the series. He was amazing in Deadwood, but Justified just bored me silly.

I will give Sons of Anarchy a try.

sharrukin on October 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

“Justified” has its moments, if you don’t mind over-the-top mischaracterizations; I had a hard time relating since I’m from the area supposedly represented. I have to disregard the obvious broad-brush bullsplatter when I watch.

That said, it does have entertainment value above most of the dreck out there nowadays.

OTOH, I won’t miss an episode of “Sons of Anarchy”. I don’t know how close to reality the show hits, but it is entertaining as all hell if you don’t mind a little blood and gore.

BTW, a re-run from this week’s episode is on at midnight EST. I recommend it.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Yes. I stopped watching early on in the first season as they successfully executed the most frustrating and stupid horror movie cliches. Guy has keys to handcuffs, he trips and drops them down a sewer! No thanks.

YoungAmerican on October 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Justified is awesome. Timothy Olyphant is a man’s man. No beta male bs there.

***

CW on October 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM

There’s some pretty good humor in the show at times, too.

I still like the exchange between him and his ex-wife after he got tuned up by two bar patrons.

Winona: “Aren’t you getting too old to be fighting?”

Raylon: “I’m sure as h*ll getting too old to be losing.”

BuckeyeSam on October 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Agreed.

BuckeyeSam on October 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I’ve never seen The Closer or The Killing, but I really liked Rubicon, too. It was terrific.

flyfisher on October 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM

As to Romero, he’s the one that has ruined the franchise. He’s become self-important arrogant bastard about his material. Have you seen ‘Survival of the Dead’? Garbage. Nothing but mess about zombie civil rights, which was the context I took from the movie.

Movies like ‘Zombieland’, ‘Shaun of the Dead’, the first ‘Resident Evil’ movie as well as ’28 Days Later’ (though they aren’t technically zombies in that flick) have done a lot to make it a popular genre by introducing real humor as well as real scares.

TWD had a ton of potential because it wasn’t about the zombies. But at the same time it is. The only reason anyone is interested in this show is the zombies.

catmman on October 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Problem is I do mind. Its one of the things that really turns me off when they do the white hats, black hats thing without subtlety. People are complicated and thats what makes for tension and conflict.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well enough people have said its good, so yeah, I will check it out. Hope it pans out.

sharrukin on October 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM

American Horror Story is a better show by far IMO.

The Ugly American on October 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM

catmman on October 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM

All of those were good.

The 2010 version of The Crazies was OK. Not as good as the ones you mentioned but not bad. Actually IIRC, it starred Timothy Olyphant as well.

sharrukin on October 19, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Is “The Walking Dead” a bad show?

I guess that depends on how much cash they are spending on this turkey.

Freddy on October 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Well, at least in my opinion, you are are wrong. I love the show. I’m sure it won’t last though, just like Jericho, good lord, you can’t have smart tv. Everyone gather around and watch dancing with the stars or some other brainless crap the networks try to push upon the true zombies.

TV is made for idiots, so only idiot shows last. Like the ones with underlying left political idiocy because tptb really don’t want you thinking too hard, otherwise you might figure out what the hell is really going on in this country.

I guess they figure if you watch their brain dead reality bs then they can get 52% to vote for a moron as President.

nwpammy on October 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM

And the Andrea character? WTF is her problem?

She spends five minutes ripping into Dale who saved her life about being selfish because he wouldn’t let her kill herself.

Then Shane lecturing everyone about how they need training before they get their guns back. You could done that while you were back at the quarry instead of screwing your best friends wife, frog-giiging with your best friends son and then letting everyone have a fish fry without posting a guard which resulted in half your party getting eaten by a zombie herd.

Lot of inconsistency with the writing. Like I said earlier, they’ve had a year to hash this stuff out and it really isn’t any better.

The first 20 minutes of last week was the only part of the show worth watching then they spent the next hour walking around the woods. Then you had to wade through the last half-hour which was 20 minutes of commercials and ten minutes of slo-mo until the climax.

catmman on October 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM

And it only gets worse. I think they’re splitting this season. We’ll get 6 or 7 episode now and then get the rest I think sometime in February-March time frame. Then of course have to wait until next October for the next ‘season’, etc.

catmman on October 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Hollywood is useless as anything other than agitprop and obscene gossip. An original thought and a truly enjoyable modicum of entertainment is a rare gem these days. We watch novel zombie shows such as Walking Dead to escape reality, not to wallow in it. Hollywood hasn’t a clue though when they’re off-agenda. All they know is that what they’re doing with their vomitus is making them massive amounts of money. If it works, don’t fix it. I blame the viewer collective whose savage thirst for Hollywood crap can be slaked only by more Hollywood crap.

FlatFoot on October 19, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Zombies are alright….
………but they can’t touch this:

……dear God…talk about birth control.

Baxter Greene on October 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Baxter Greene:Me thinks,Pelosi,suffers from,elements of,
Pelosium,haha!:)

canopfor on October 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I like it for the sole reason that the people who survive the zombie apocalypse are the scrappy, gun-toting, middle-class rural types who occupy fly-over country.

If the wwriters can lay off the tongue-in-cheek “zombies in church” crap, I’ll be a lot happier with the show.

stevezilla on October 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM

What does AP want? You want a zombie TV series that is non-stop zombie killing? How long would that last? Two episodes? It’s not a movie. It’s a series. The majority of the show has to be about the characters, the zombies are just the background, just as Gone With the Wind wasn’t about civil war soldiers killing each other, regardless of how much you may like war movies. It was the background to the story.

Now, whether those characters are written well enough is another thing altogether. But I can tell you one thing: Merle is not liking this trash talk one bit.

keep the change on October 20, 2011 at 12:34 AM

If The Walking Dead harshes your mellow because of irrelevant soap opera-ish stuff, read World War Z or Day by Day Armageddon.
Those’ll get your Z on.

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Yeah, there is too much of the feeeeeeelings on the show, but as long as there are women among the survivors, is this not realistic?

But the idea the cops should be training the civilians isn’t so simple. The main thing they could train them to do is use firearms, but you can’t learn to shoot a gun without, well, shooting it, and noise draws Walkers, right? So, if they can’t train them to shoot, and pepper spray won’t work, what are they going to do? Train ‘em on reading the Miranda warning?

Wasn’t Kurt Schlichter one of the leotard-clad girlie-men who came out went they cried, “Und now ist der time on Sprockets venn ve danse!”?

Adjoran on October 20, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I’d watch a series with non-stop zombie killing and without the emphasis on the human interaction crap.

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I got bored with season one but found this season premier to be pretty interesting. I did wonder why one head shot takes them out but you have to stab them repeatedly in the eye and into their rotting brain with a screw driver to make them lay down.

Blake on October 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM

One last thing, in response to the firearms comments.
Everyone knows that, while shooting zombies is excellent fun and a better alternative than nothing, it’s more sustainable if you learn to kill them with fixed weapons such as swords and truncheons and such.

What the hell is wrong with you people for not knowing that?
Haven’t you read the Zombie Survival Guide?

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Are you going to stop watching it?

Patrap on October 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I have a few problems with the show….

1) The touchie feelie crap is too much.
2) The people who want to off themselves should be handed a weapon to do so and be rid of their whining.
3) The touchie feelie crap is too much.
4) They can’t find another RV that is in better shape?
5) The touchie feelie crap is too much.
6) Can’t they find a gun store?
7) The touchie feelie crap is too much.
8) 2 words…..M1A2 Abrams.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Really annoyed with the last show, hard to tell which ones are the zombies. I think it is somewhat telling that Lennie James has left the building. Looks like his only appearance was the very first episode. Unfortunately as in Jericho, he may have been the most interesting character in TWD.

roy_batty on October 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Based on the movie Zombieland. Replete with a Zombie kill of the week etc. And we could kill off some leftist celebrity Zombies too.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Dude, Romero’s last few zombie films have become little more than heavy-handed commentaries on the human condition, class war and social justice. The “legacy” dies a little every time the man releases another film.

Anyway, series creator Darabont just left TWD (or was fired.) So the show might still be finding its footing for season two. Give the new executive producer some time. The Cause isn’t lost… yet.

Rude on October 20, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Why would you try so hard to survive only to commit suicide? Ya, the sub-plots are garbage.

Rode Werk on October 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

I’d have a scene in there where Jimmy Carter is on stage speaking to a crowd of libs, advocating for zombie rights. In the middle of the speech a zombie shambles up to him from behind and… well you can picture the rest.

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Day by Day Armageddon.
Those’ll get your Z on.

justltl on October 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for the tip. JJ has a sample chapter on his site. Very cool.

John the Libertarian on October 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM

First: day by day is really good but it gets REAL goofy, especially in the second book.

Second: I agree with Allah, the show blows. The problem, it diverges WAY too much from the comics. As a minor spoiler, most of the characters in the series are dead by that same point in the comic, replaced by new, ready to die characters. Is it focused on them? Sure, but it’s focused on them losing their minds as they drop. The show is “oh noes gimme a kiss!” while the comic is “GDI my kids dead!(not Carl!!”.

Speaking of Carl, he’s one of the most interesting characters and they left out all of his major plots until now! The farm Rick finds holds promise (it’s a plot from the comics) but considering how each episode is by a different writer, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Also, the tone. It’s all wrong. They always have a destination. People are always in a pretty good mood, even when being swarmed by zombies (they have strong plot armor this early in the season!). In the comics, the tone is hopeless. They are wandering. Civilization is gone, and the world is populated by cannibals, lunatics and the soon to die. A man trying (and sometimes failing, a plot sure to be missing from the show) to protect his family in this world is the height of character drama. The show? It’s garbage. Go read the comics. You can get them as easily as you get music online. I enjoyed them more than WWZ tbh, and they are still being written!!

Rainsford on October 20, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Ugh, teen zombie shows. Pass.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:49 AM

I’m with you Allah. I was completely disappointed in the season 2 opener. The first 15 minutes was good, the rest boring and then they threw in that last scene so you would tune in next week. The church scenes were overdone and tossed in as filler, IMO.

The zombie apocalypse is about survival and the occassional emotional “I can’t take this anymore” meltdown – not about feelings. The romance angle is unsatisfying and I don’t like the skinny wife (didn’t like her on Prison Break either). There is absolutely no chemistry between the wife and the friend, or the wife and the husband for that matter. And the husband doesn’t even know so there is no three-way tension there.

And the old guy just babbles on like a liberal trying to explain ObamaCare!

Last season was way better even though it had its weak spots.

Mr_Magoo on October 20, 2011 at 2:09 AM

The problem with the TWD (it’s NOT bad) is that the human protagonists are either well equipped to take out the Zombies or readily adapt to tight situations with little suspense. A brief firefight clears out the horde, and guns equipped with silencers and flamethrowers would take care of the “they’re attracted to noise” dilemma. The male characters charge Zombies with knives and dissect their flesh with ease.

The zombies have to evolve at some point.

Mad Kimchi on October 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM

“the walking dead” AREN’T THE ZOMBIES.

it’s the LIVING that are the walking dead.

and in the show and the comic book, the zombies are more of an obstacle. the biggest problem are the other survivors.

to those that read the comics, I’ll just say “the hunters” and “the governor”

warhorse_03826 on October 20, 2011 at 2:29 AM

dialogue is cheaper than action.

eh on October 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM

I’ll give it more time, I liked last season, and I accepted the drama as part of building the characters.

The opener was a bit disappointing. Also, I just don’t like most of the characters.

I’m waiting for Rowdy Burns to come back with a chainsaw where his hand used to be.

reaganaut on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 AM

You mean this isn’t about the Senate?

{+_+}

herself on October 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM

The one thing that bothers me the most is the never-ending adultery. It’s in just about every single show now. I thought that I could watch a zombie show and get away from it, but, nope, it’s there as well. You would think that Hollywood was nothing but a bunch of adulterous, drugged-out, Godless sex fiends by their movies and t.v. shows. Oh, wait a minute.

Anyways, that is one of the reasons that my favorite show is The Simpsons. Not only is it the only show that I can think of where the characters are shown going to church on a semi-regular basis (something that most of this country does – I did say semi-regular – but which is almost never shown on t.v.), but, while the main characters have had opportunities to have extra-marital relationships, they have remained faithful all the while. Also, the show is still very funny (at least in my opinion). Onward to Season 25! (The Simpsons was re-upped for another two years recently.)

Theophile on October 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM

I’m tired of plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Where did the electric come from for the church bells?

gdonovan on October 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM

the end of the season premiere was dumb.

rob verdi on October 20, 2011 at 6:15 AM

It’s like the old saying: Everybody loves a clown; everybody hates a mime. Well, everyone loves a vampire; everyone hates a zombie.

JohnGalt23 on October 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM

First off, John, I hate both mimes and clowns.

Second off, I’ve noticed that lately it’s the teen-aged girls who are crazy for vampires. But also, some of them prefer werewolves, depending on how much that particular girl likes to see bare chests on buff young men. Not to mention, a few middle-aged women show up with the girls, too.

The only real complaint I have with TWD is that it is too gory for a weekly show. Not enough for me to turn it off, though.

Squiggy on October 20, 2011 at 6:23 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I’m going to be a sad puppy when The Closer goes is done.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM

goes is done? Always remember, coffee before computer.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Is “the Walking Dead” a bad show?
Without a doubt, because all zombie shows are bad shows. Watch Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead” and ask yourself, “What else needed to be said after this”?

We need more zombie shows on TV.
How about, “No”? I have noticed many young people in the so-called Millenials generation are fixated on a coming “zombie apocalypse”. What a waste of time, especially when this fixation appears to have rendered them incapable of recognizing their own demonstrable zombie-like behavior when they went all in for Barky.

ya2daup on October 20, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Never seen an episode of the “The Walking Dead” even though it is literally filmed in my backyard. No, literally. We have to put up with the traffic disruptions and delays from time to time due to filming. Atlanta is becoming Hollywood South with our morning newscasts filled with who’s filming where so we know where to avoid.

I like “Justified” cause while the stereotypes are over the top and in your face some of the digs and humor are much more subtle. I am glad the woman who played Momma Blake I think it was got the Emmy this year cause you know like her character was killed off.

“Sons of Anarchy” is probably my only don’t miss show although it is in danger of slipping off that list. It seems with each passing season the motorcycle club becomes involves with more and more illegal activity which is making them less of a sympathetic figure and more of just another Hell’s Angels gang run amuck. What can you say about a series which has you rooting for the death of a female ATF agent? Season 1 hooked me when they took a pedophile out into the woods and castrated him after the police admitted there was no hard evidence to make a case with and besides the guy was politically connected. Back them SAMCRO was sort of a group we would like to belong to but now they are no such distinctions. Plenty of personal drama among the members while they try to live lives like normal people but much of that nuance is now gone.

Oh and finally besides the NCIS family the only show that now has my interest on the networks is the new Tim Allen one “Last Man Standing”. It picks up where Tool Time left off. Tim now works at a sporting goods store and lives a life surrounded by women at home and beta males at work. Hilarious.

Just A Grunt on October 20, 2011 at 7:35 AM

I’m tired of plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Where did the electric come from for the church bells?

gdonovan on October 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Exactly! They have electricity? Must be using Solyndra solar panels, huh?

gordo on October 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Why would you take away someone’s gun when you are surrounded by zombies? The writers need to get a clue. To paraphrase John Lott: More Guns…Less Zombies.

Also, it does not make sense to me that these guys are driving around in beater cars and RVs. Wouldn’t it make sense to pile into a newer, more reliable RV? Good grief…maybe the writers could put everyone into a bunch of old YUGOs. They would then need to go to an auto parts store or repair shop where they would encounter a bunch of zombie mechanics.

Ralphie on October 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Every good show I’ve ever watched, at some point, turned into a stupid soap opera. HBO series are the worst in this respect. But Walking Dead is still better than most of the trash on TV.

SAMinVA on October 20, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Heart-ache

Current standings in the race to see who can spell “heartache” incorrectly the most times:

Allahpundit: 3,240
Ace of Spades: 454
Jazz Shaw: 1

C’mon, Jazz! You can do it, buddy! You just have to try!

Dr. Mercury on October 20, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Do zombies fart?

radjah shelduck on October 20, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I have a hard time believing the zombies will take over the South. Everyone is armed….New York in about 30 minutes.

Oil Can on October 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Loved last season. The series premier this season sucked. And not just for the reasons mentioned. It’s like they have all become imbeciles now. Plus, there were lots of things that didn’t make sense. “Don’t fire off a round in the woods, the zombies will hear it and come!” – yet the church bells ring constantly and there are (conveniently) 3 zombies just sitting in church. WTF is that all about? shouldn’t they be out trying to find food? The whole series just turned stupid with that 1 episode.

matd on October 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM

A. I love TWD

B. No, it doesn’t have either great writing or great acting, but for a TV SHOW, it has a compelling story.

There is a segment of society that automatically hates anything that is popular. Hell, we still have the inevitable “I’m way above facebook” comments from a number of HA commenters who criticize something about which they know little.

There are 48 billion cable channels. TWD is one show on one channel. It doesn’t have gratuitous sex, constant foul language or unnecessary violence. Just for that it should get kudos.

My kids and I make fun of the bad acting and the occasional cheesy line, but we generally like the characters and the story is interesting.

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM

This is accurate but true about just about any show. Why in Battlestar Galactica was not the entire fleet trained for war and put on a war footing and instead had silly political battles about abortion, etc. – they were not just in a war, they were fighting for their survival and the survival of the species? Every halfway smart able-bodied individual should have been drafted into being a fighter pilot instead of just using the same 12 and making them go without sleep.

If you ever watch Falling Skies, same thing. A bunch of civilians not trained to fight and bogging the “fighters” down, who “the fighters” always have to feed, shelter and protect.

If anyone has watched any of the new Terra Nova, same thing. they send a bunch of non-trained civilians back in time with a few people trained to use weapons, etc. and don’t ever bother training the “civilians” who are supposed to living in prehistoric times amongst the dinosaurs. It makes not sense whatsoever.

Any show of this kind does this. It drives me nuts, but they do it to try and create dramatic conflict between the people we are supposed to be rooting for and make easy storylines. They do this in TV shows and in movies. It’s absurd, but that’s how they always do it.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I agree.

Cylor on October 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM

My minor complaint… Hollywood regularly conflates Evangelicalism with Catholicism. Not that it’s impossible, but in all my years living in NC and AL, I’ve never seen a Baptist church with a tiny crucifix, let alone a gigantic one at the front (or the back, as some reckon a church’s design).

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I was looking forward to watching the show the other night and I don’t know, I was kind of expecting something spectacular, but that never happened. It was just ok, not something I’ll look forward to again.

And speaking of zombies, Ashton Kutcher just needs a little gore and he could play one in his 2-1/2 men role. Ugh. Another show down the tubes.

scalleywag on October 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Another thing that bothers me about the zombie genre generally. If zombies are undead and don’t breath – how do they smell or moan? Also, if they are dead and have no circulatory system, etc., where does the food go when they eat?

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I’m tired of plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Where did the electric come from for the church bells?

gdonovan on October 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM

You may not have noticed but when they shut the power off the church bells they were standing next to a natural gas powered generator.

NeoKong on October 20, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I didn’t watch past the first episode. Mainly on account of the dumbness, IIRC. Yep, Allah has it right. The plot was based mainly on people being dumb, and the usual tired tropes of realist drama stuck in a zombie show. Marital conflict? Spare me.

Buffy. That’s how to do a TV show with a fantasy premise. As Joss Whedon said, you need both emotional resonance, and rocket launchers.

American TV just hasn’t done it for me in a while. Nowadays I’m watching mainly anime. 95% of anime is boring, derivative crap, too, but the remaining 5% is worth watching.

Bartrams Garden on October 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Well this explains alot

matd on October 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I can’t remember if I’m thinking of TWD or WWZ but zombies eat and eat driven by ‘instinct’. They can’t metabolize anything. Eventually their insides burst and whatever they eat just comes out the hole. Kinda gross, I know…sorry ’bout that…

catmman on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

matd on October 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

After reading that, no wonder the show is having the issues it is. It probably isn’t long for this world…

catmman on October 20, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Bartrams Garden on October 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM

My previous posts still stand… but you are right about the marital conflict. I was just talking about that with a friend. How long could Rick have been in the hospital? In that relatively short time, during a zombie apocalypse, his best friend and wife managed to fall in love and jump in bed? Even when they could only presume he was dead? I am left to assume they were desiring an affair before he was shot… which makes them even more despicable.

Not buying it… but still love the show. It’s the one thing that gets in the way of the story. It adds nothing.

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM

catmman on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

But in WWZ they did not breath – and thus could exist under water – but yet moaned. How does one moan if no air is passing through your windpipe?

I know, stupid nitpick when you are talking about dead beings walking around with no heartbeat, blood flow, etc. But be consistent in the rules you make up.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Never speak ill of the dead.

John Deaux on October 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM

They imply it was longer than a week I think – which makes no sense b/c if he wasn’t getting an IV, he would have died of dehydration.

I got the impression that they had the affair from before the Zombies – remember the first episode opened with Rick complaining that the wife was yelling at him again, etc. and implying that the marriage was bad and the friend looked uncomfortable during that discussion.

I’ve liked the show thus far, but the stupid things everyone does is ridiculous. Some people leaving “hey, we’re going to go off on our own and look for family down south”. Not training everyone to use guns, etc. Not setting guards at all times. and the list goes on and on. It’s o.k. to have human drama in the show, but they fail to apply how humans would actually react in such a situation.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 9:25 AM

John the Libertarian

I’m waiting for the singing and dancing zombies. :)

Hard Right on October 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 9:25 AM

further, the idea that there would be any shortage of weapons as implied is silly. they were in Atlanta with dead soldiers all around. It would be pretty easy for the only living 30 or so people to find more than enough weapons and brand-new humvee type vehicles rather driving broken down jalopies and not having enough weapons.

It’s like these people make everything purposefully as difficult as it can possibly be for extra fun. To me, it’s just lazy writing. They don’t want to take time to come up with incidents and actions that make sense, so they just decide “we’ll have them all eating around a campfire with no weapons and no guards and then the zombies will attack.”

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM

mdenis39 on October 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM

We are cut from the same viewing cloth.

It is rare that a good series last more than 2-3 seasons, being most regurgitate the same, tired story lines.

Lost, Rescue Me (season 4 started off where season 1 left off… again)Walking Dead, etc.

Now Burn Notice is getting close, but adding new characters – hot Irish girlfriends and some pithy writing keeps me going.

Odie1941 on October 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Nothing can beat the original Night Of The Living Dead.

Ward Cleaver on October 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM

It’s building, AP.

Part of the appeal is it unfolds slowly. It will start snowballing and get crazier. The pace of it (all the talking and such) sets a dark tone, and makes later events seem more intense.

aeroplane on October 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM

It’s the same old story, the world is about to end, the characters about to die and still we are served with interpersonal BS: “I got really hurt when you forgot my birthday” …

NORUK on October 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

AP, respectfully, if you ever thought TWD was a “zombie” show, you didn’t get it from the start. In the same way that Zombieland (which I really enjoyed) wasn’t actually a “zombie movie,” but a road movie/coming-of-age story, TWD is a character drama that owes almost nothing to Romero. To each their own, but if that isn’t your thing, you’re not going to stick with the show.

CTD on October 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Odie1941 on October 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I stopped Burn Notice after Season 2. Every episode is the exact same. It got old. And I loved it at the beginning, particularly Bruce.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

CTD on October 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

While I understand and to a large extent agree with your point – the problem wasn’t just that it is a character show – it’s that the characters do incredibly stupid things by any objective standard. I said in an earlier comment that most shows of this nature are like that – the characters don’t behave how people would in a true end of the world, survival situation.

Not setting guards, not training everyone to use weapons and arming everyone, not setting up tripwire alarms around their camp, kind of just randomly traveling around, splitting up at silly times – all the usual tropes. And arguing about things that people would simply stop caring about when faced with a constant struggle for survival. I like the show, but it is pretty lazy writing and does take one out of the story a lot.

Just as a quick and easy example, when they all sat down at the campfire, unarmed, to eat dinner, it takes you out of the moment. Nobody thought to have tripwires with cans hanging on them to clang when a zombie came along? Nobody thought to have a couple of guards set at all times? Just put one guy on top of the RV at all times to look around and see Zombies coming. Nobody thought it would be a good idea to make sure everyone was armed at all times?

You could just as easily have had that happen with everyone armed and tripwires and guards but had the zombie horde to big to deal with quickly and effectively and had the same loss of life but in a more believable scenario. You wouldn’t even have to do as much make-up effect on all the additional zombies – just keep them more in the background and use the ones you already had in that scene for close-up shots.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Spot on, IMHO. I’m fine with a character show, but give us a reason to connect with the characters. Then, the “road ahead” becomes more interesting, and I’d willing to travel that road with them.

Someone mentioned earlier that the title was about the survivors and not the zombies. That’s painfully obvious considering how many bad decisions these people make, and their inability to even learn from the simplest of mistakes.

Neo-con Artist on October 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Zombie soap operas=bad
Zombie movies with eye candy protagonists=bad
Zombie comedies=bad

Don’t you see a trend here?

Sticking with classic books.

shick on October 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Talk about plot holes: everyone seems to have missed the most glaring one – namely, the highway zombie stampede itself.

Where did they come from?

The zombies are walking on the highway, in the same direction that the survivors had been driving down the highway. Furthermore, they show up maybe 10-15 mins after the RV breaks down.

Wouldn’t the survivors have passed them as they drove down the highway?!?

Now, I know you can say “They came out of the woods” or something, but that’s pretty weak. The most logical thing would have been to simply have the zombies approach from the opposite direction.

rvastar on October 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Funny that you mention that.

I was watching Romero last night on AMC, he was ‘hosting’ another zombie flick (Flight of the Dead: Outbreak on a Plane) and he was asked about the zombie ‘rules’.

He said he wasn’t sure he was even done messing around with them. he said the only hard rule he’s stuck with over the years is that you have to take out the brain to kill a zombie.

Other than that, it seems to be pretty much whatever.

catmman on October 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM

And of course non-fictional pseudo-zombies are always more interesting than the fictional ones.

shick on October 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I think part of the problem is that these zombies are ONLY scary in big groups and even then, it’s almost always because they’re doing something stupid and not really trying to protect themselves. But otherwise, it’s boring.

Esthier on October 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM

What kind of self respecting cop does not have two spare set of handcuff keys tucked away? Plus one 9mm round would have cut the cuff chain.

As for letting zombies in close? They need to.clear cut a kill zone or better yet. Clear out a small community and razor wire/chain link fence it in. screw living in a tent long term.

NTxOkie on October 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Esthier on October 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Generally that’s always been the problem with zombies – they traditionally have not been fast or super strong, nor even agile or intelligent in anyway. Thus one or a few zombies is easy to defend against. It always had to be a horde. Which is why they always have them do stupid things – to get them in a situation where they are either surrounded by zombies or corned by zombies. Otherwise, zombies should be easy to outrun.

but I don’t think they have to make it so silly – I think you can intelligently come up with ways to do that. One way, which they used, is obviously missions into city areas to obtain supplies where zombie population is high. Another would be wherever they are camping out being surrounded at some point.

the other option is to make the zombies a little faster, or more clever, or stronger such that one or a few zombies is more of a threat.

but simply making the survivors utter idiots – which is how this show has chosen to handle it – is not the best way to go.

Monkeytoe on October 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I saw my first Walking Dead show last week. The one where they’re hiding under the cars and the little girl gets lost. I’m inclined to agree with Allahpundit. By the time the show ended, I wanted them all to be a zombie smorgasbord. The disputes and emotions were so lame I wondered which were the zombies and which were the living.

NNtrancer on October 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I haven’t read the comics but I have a feeling the story is going to pickup at the farm. The farm has a “Jericho” feel to it — for those who remember that show — which I like.

I like shooting zombies… and watching zombies being shot…

Kini on October 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM

True that. Call of Duty Black Ops ZOMBIE mode = awesome.

jjraines on October 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I assume the ratings were big for the season 2 premiere. Anyone see any numbers?

CW on October 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM

The premiere of season 2 had a 3.8 national rating. That is the largest audience for any drama in basic cable history. (The only thing to beat that rating on Sunday night was Football.) Due to that number, FOX has greenlighted a Zombieland TV show. Zombies are the new black.

AMC needs to throw money at the show with ratings like that. I hope AMC has money left over after paying to bring Mad Men back.

RedRobin145 on October 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Here’s the shocker … they actually do have a female audience. Myself included as well as many of my girlfriends. I love the show and never miss an episode. The reason I like this zombie storyline much more than most is because the story focuses on the people – the living people, that is. Their day-to-day struggles which include “feelings”. How can one not feel emotional over their sister dying and becoming a zombie? I believe their intent was to cater to both a male and female audience. And it’s working.

A 40-something Mom and wife. :)

Shiny_Tiara on October 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Oh, and I adore Breaking Bad. The best show currently on TV, as far as I’m concerned.

Shiny_Tiara on October 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Here’s the shocker … they actually do have a female audience.

I don’t think anyone would be surprised. Most scripted tv is (somewhat) catered to women, since they are the largest viewing bloc of that genre. See ABC’s annual rollout for confirmation. Even shows like Spartacus — gruesome, gritty, and violent — has a majority female fanbase. That one shocked me.

jjraines on October 21, 2011 at 5:58 AM

What I’ve wondered is if the TWD world has any previous experience with fictional zombies — zombie movies, zombie books etc. If not, it could explain some of the stupidity: zombies can take over an armed populace because no one knows right away how to kill them properly. By the time that’s learned, it’s too late.

As far as the survivors not being properly security minded, of course they aren’t — they’re just regular people, not survivalists.

SD on October 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM