Brutal new Romney ad: Rick Perry’s a moron; Update: Romney pulls ad?

posted at 8:07 pm on October 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Examiner, Team Mitt will spin this tomorrow as an attack on Perry’s debating skills, not his intelligence, but by showcasing some doofy facial expressions and looooong pauses mid-sentence during answers, it’s clear enough what lesson they want you to learn. It’s a symphony of Gump-ishness. Being a bad debater, while problematic in the general election, doesn’t disqualify you from being the nominee; being an idiot in general does. That’s the lesson. Offhand, I can’t remember ever seeing an ad like this that’s aimed not at showing that an opponent is stupid about a particular issue but that he’s stupid in general. Is there an obvious historical example that I’m missing?

That immigration exchange last night got under Romney’s skin even more deeply than we thought, huh? More on the newly “personal” primary dynamic from Politico:

“He’s extremely thin-skinned,” said chief Perry strategist Dave Carney of Romney after the forum. “He got very rattled, and I think that’s something we hadn’t seen before.”

Stuart Stevens, Carney’s counterpart with the Romney campaign, was equally pointed.

“People are looking for a lot of qualities in the next president, and someone who responds to losing debates with anger is not a quality that they particularly like,” Stevens said, deeming Perry a desperate hothead. “It’s like in a football game, when somebody’s losing and they start shoving.”

None of the previous debates exposed the guts of the Republican contest quite like this because none had been so personally nasty. That Perry and Romney can’t stand one another has long been accepted in GOP circles, but their mutual contempt came into stark relief on the Strip. It overshadowed all else and even managed to overshadow Herman Cain, whose rapid rise in recent polls wasn’t matched by his performance Tuesday night.

Yeah, that’s the other interesting thing about this ad. With Cain leading Romney in various state and national polls, including a new one from Florida out this morning, it’s nonetheless Perry who gets the roundhouse to the jaw from Mitt here. Like Jeff Emanuel says, in a nod to Perry’s impressive fundraising last quarter, “It’s pretty clear who Team Romney still thinks their main opponent is, isn’t it?” Indeed. And for various reasons, Cain’s not an easy target. They’re better off bludgeoning Perry as much as they can and then dealing with Cain if it starts to look like he has a real shot of winning in Iowa and South Carolina. There’s plenty of attack-ad ammo available when the time comes.

Exit question: Did the Romney ad team include soundbites from Erick Erickson here just because they were on point or because they wanted to jab an extra finger in Perry’s eye after he announced his candidacy at a Red State event?

Update: Erickson punches back, noting that his comments in the clip weren’t made last night but after one of the earlier debates. Quote:

Romney had to do this to distract from this being the first debate where he bled. But I think the story is going to be that Romney’s team spliced up and edited the footage to convey the impression that this was all about last night’s debate to push the narrative that Perry flubbed yet again.

After all, Perry’s performance last night was good for him and Romney knows what’s going to happen if Perry rebounds. He cannot afford for that to happen. He knows, like we do, that he has never gotten above 25.0% in the Real Clear Politics polling average since November of 2010.

Update: Bryan Preston e-mails at 10:30 ET to note that the ad has now disappeared from YouTube. True enough, but don’t assume that that means it’s gone for good. Sometimes ads get pulled temporarily because someone has challenged a piece of footage in the spot on copyright grounds. Maybe they’re just re-editing it. If they really have yanked it, though, it’s a total embarrassment. Who greenlit an ad this brutal without clearing it with Mitt and his top advisors first?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM

AllahP posted the Stossel interview in the comments section of:

Video: “So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make”

Watching it made my head spin. Ellis’ face summed up my feelings perfectly: jaw-dropping bewilderment.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 2:24 AM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM
Oh, I could find it in two seconds, but I’ll be da***d if I’m going to do the legwork for someone who only wants it to parse the living daylights out of it in order to peck some more at Rick Perry.

I’m happy to work with anyone who genuinely wants information, but we all know how to use Google, so they can just get it themselves.

On a side note: I just saw this weird appearance Cain made, talking to John Stossel about abortion. Stossel was really, really confused, and Cain acted like it was Stossel’s fault he couldn’t understand. Really bizarre.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I went back to see where this jaime started his “quest” at 9:43PM 10/19. You were very nice in answering him and also cartooner & I’ve replied to him twice. His arrogance & attitude doesn’t deserve any help. I agree completely that all he wants is to continue to bash Gov. Perry. This other poster-whatcat, same thing.
They are too lazy to search, just want to bash. Forget it, not doing it. Buy Danish asked for the same thing today, nope!

I’m keeping a list of those that act like this.

I didn’t see Stossel but will look for it. Sounds strange from what you describe.

Have a good night & thanks!

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 AM

It is not the law that is the problem. It’s the way Perry defends it that’s the problem.

jaime on October 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Several posters have replied to you since you first posted at 9:43PM 10/19/11.
cartooner
capitalist piglet
and others.
I replied to you-bluefox on October 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM

It seems that you don’t appreciate that they tried to answer you and then you act like it is their “duty” to find what you want.

I replied again to you on 12:33AM 10/20/11 I’ll repeat it in case you didn’t see that comment:

What Governor Perry said and how you took it is the issue. You assumed that is what he meant. It isn’t what he said. He never mentioned the word racist, you and others did, because that is the way you took it.

Did you read my comment to you where I explained how I took it?
(11:12PM)

So the fault is not with Gov. Perry in what he said, it’s those that interpret it as racist.

He doesn’t need to apology for something he did not say, nor even mean.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Again, Gov. Perry does not need to apologize for something he did not say, nor even mean.

You misinterpreted it wrongly.

You can use the HA Vault to search for threads(August) 2 months ago.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 2:24 AM

That sounds like it was strange indeed. Thanks. It’s wayyyy past my bedtime, but will try to check it out.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 3:03 AM

I hate multi-quote/over-indugent comments on Hotair. Z.

leftnomore on October 20, 2011 at 4:22 AM

I can only conclude that people just don’t know enough about the law to understand how benign it really is – and that’s on the governor and his campaign.

capitalist piglet

Ahh, yes, it really is a virtually meaningless, benign law, with few people taking advantage of it, yet if they didn’t pass it, the state would be overrun with gang bangers and welfare cases with nowhere else to turn, lol.

Spare us the condescension….we know all we need to know about this law.

You misinterpreted it wrongly.

bluefox

No one misinterpreted it wrongly, except for you apparently. You already said in an earlier post that Perry meant they weren’t going to discriminate against people for being Mexican, the implication being if you don’t support in-state tuition for illegals, you’re FOR discriminating against Mexicans…or basically, you’re a racist. Now, he may not have meant to say that, but that’s exactly what he did.

That’s the reality, and his poll numbers reflect it. You can spin all you want, but there’s no way to make his answer even somewhat rational. Even if we ignore the racial aspect, his argument STILL comes up short. Not extending benefits to people who aren’t entitled to them isn’t discrimination, whether they are Mexican or Canadian, or American.

xblade on October 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Okay, that’s what that’s about. I just read some of it (thank you for pointing me to it), and it’s just amazing people aren’ universally asking how on earth that is our frontrunner. Yikes.

bluefox, thank you for your kindness. I do appreciate it.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM

I can’t believe some people are defending his GITMO blunder, and then this on top of it? “Oof” seems to be the word of the week.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Spare us the condescension….we know all we need to know about this law.

How was I condescending? I wasn’t. I can’t imagine you couldn’t learn something about this law, if you can’t even see the reasoning behind it (whether you disagree with the law or not).

You don’t live in Texas, do you? I don’t, but I live in one of a dozen states with in-state tuition rates given to children of illegals. I wouldn’t even know it was the law if I hadn’t looked it up recently (only suspected it because of some rumblings on the radio about it a few years back).

It’s really very benign. Really.

It would be helpful if you’d tell me the specific problem you have with the law, instead of being sarcastic about it.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 4:55 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Saw a couple of people suggesting all the candidates do it. Not like Cain, they don’t, and not as frequently. The man is a gaffe machine.

Oof is right.

capitalist piglet on October 20, 2011 at 4:56 AM

When Romney loses again. Is he gonna try again in 4 more years? Romney is Obama jr. I get force fed that Romney is my choice if I watch ANY station.

NBC/CBS/ABC/MSNBC/CNN all want Romney. whys that? easy pickins. They know alot republicans wont vote for him no matter what.

He made Romneycare and its untouchable. His flips and flops make him worse. He can keep saying this is what my state wanted.

And if so hes a sham. He caves to what ever gets him elected. Romney will never get my vote because hes a snake oil salesman.

Gedge on October 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Perry would be a disaster for Repubs, but I am not sure that Romney would be any less of a disaster. Right now our best chance is with Newt, or Herman or Michelle, in that order

georgealbert on October 20, 2011 at 6:23 AM

georgealbert on October 20, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Now look – the main thing is to get obama out – Herman and Michelle are too far right for mainstream voters and Newt has too much baggage he can be attacked with. Perry and Romney are the best shot to beat obama – you just have to accept the fact that only centrists win these elections. obama is the exception to the rule – I STILL don’t know how he managed to come out of nowhere and beat Hillary.

LODGE4 on October 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Gedge on October 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM

How sad if our choice in 2012 is Obama or Slobama. Like you, given such a choice I would be hard pressed to find a reason to vote at all. I’m a conservative, not a Republican drone who will fall in line for the good of the party, regardless of the ultimate harm to the country. I freely admit that Romney is “better than” Obama, but not by much, and that slim difference is not enough to drag us off this path to hell we are on. And people here think I should be ashamed if I don’t vote for that?? That somehow I’d be giving Obama four more years? No, they would be by supporting a POS candidate out of convenience and the mistaken notion that he’s the only one who can beat Turdboy. Screw them. They have no more political sense than my cat. I don’t go to her for advice and I won’t take it from them.

Extrafishy on October 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Will one of you brilliant pundits please explain to me, why, when American is a Center-Right country, we have to settle for a Moderate as the Republican Presidential Nominee?

kingsjester on October 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Perry is Bush 2.0. Although Bush made much more sense when he spoke. What’s that about doing the same thing over and expecting different results or something?

DanaSmiles on October 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM

kingsjester on October 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM

It’s HIS TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Grump on October 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Mr. Grump on October 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Forgot the /sarc/

Mr. Grump on October 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM

OT Breaking Gaddafi captured

txmomof6 on October 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Neither Romney or Cain come off as wall street insiders. Romney has a good record in job creation as does Cain. And you’re giving the dems and OWS too much credit. They just started these attacks and even though they have had some short term success, it will not last.

Obama is toxic with the indies and Romney or Cain are upbeat and hopeful. They are both experienced and well spoken.

Romney will win and Cain most certainly will win.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I’m keeping a list of those that act like this.
bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 AM

You’re keeping a list of people who act like what? You alleged that Romney has repeatedly lied during the debates. I asked you to provide one example with specificity. *CRICKETS*.

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Maybe they should just both go away and let Cain & Newt battle it out.

MNHawk on October 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Extrafishy on October 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM

I’ve heard so many like you express that same sentiment.

So you’ll REALLY cut off your nose to spite your face?

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Mitt gets terribly upset when losing? I figured the GOP would try to put in their own form of Obama.

I figure our forefathers called this entire process self-governance because they knew the type of politically clever people that would run for office wouldn’t be in the least capable of actually running the nation.

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I’ve heard so many like you express that same sentiment.

So you’ll REALLY cut off your nose to spite your face?

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

You stilldon’t get it. We got Obama because we followed that thinking and voted for McCain the other less-flopping GOP RINO.

Does it matter how fast or slow you drive off of the rim of the grand canyon? No, why? The results are the same.

The GOP has no intention of being the true socialist opposition -they merely wish to appear as such, so they can keep their lousy lucrative livihoods,pensions etc, and that includes those smary book-writing pundits that shoot down reformers like Palin and push a liberal like Christie on us.
The GOP is like the guy driving the same speed as that smoke belching 18 wheeler- always just on its tail but never moving out of the way so other folks who want to go somewhere can pass it.
They’re happy clogging the mainstream center/left-period.

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Oh no, he pulled the ad??? I planned to email it around this morning. Boo.

athenanyc on October 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I get it just fine, but your claim is a fallacious one and even if true you would think that these idiots who DIDN’T vote because they didn’t like McCain, or actually made the romantic switch just to vote for the first black candidate for President, would get it this time.

McCain lost because he wasn’t a good campaigner and didn’t attack Obama correctly. THAT plus we’d already had 8 years of a President who dragged us into several wars and mismanaged things to the point that people were willing to try something different. In his defense I know they tried to reform Fanny/Freddy but they didn’t try hard enough to turn things around. McCain lost the general by over 10 million votes and there was a better reason than he wasn’t conservative enough.

They’d had enough of the tough Texan routine, and choosing Perry as our next candidate would result in the left using the same canard used in THIS election. Sure, you can claim that they’re so unhinged that they’ll smear anyone running against them, but do you want someone like Romney who’s quick on his feet, or do you want a bumbling idiot like Perry who can only ACT tough in a debate but use old ammo against his opponents without doing his due diligence. I bet Perry would use the birth certificate line against Obama, and he’d lose the election for us as a result….

Perry’s attack against Romney on the illegal immigrants that he “hired” was well known prior to his attack. Romney had already acquitted himself of the charges very well and Perry made himself out as the doofus by bringing it up.

Romney’s rejoinder to Perry on illegal immigration was so damning because Perry doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Don L on October 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Well put.

Mr. Grump on October 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM

“Miss me yet?”
Sarah Palin

Irritable Pundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Anybody to listen to the thrashing GBTV gave Perry over the debate? Just heard this. They called it a “bloodbath” and said Romney gave Perry another beat down, which is most most people saw.

Here: http://tiny.cc/40wbz

swamp_yankee on October 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Well put.

Mr. Grump on October 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM

BS, Don’s comments were poorly thought out.

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM

swamp_yankee on October 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM

It WAS a beat down swamp. Perry asked for it by trying to smack Romney and Romney handed him his arse.

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Here: http://tiny.cc/40wbz

swamp_yankee on October 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Glenn Beck sure looks different. “They”? Is he twins?

Marcus on October 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM

DanaSmiles on October 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Liberalism!

capejasmine on October 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Here’s the ad, ‘Romney attack ad on Perry that was pulled from the internet’.

Donald Douglas on October 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Thanks! Was that the entire ad? Because there was no message to it at all, just clips from the debates. Made it look like a pretty disjointed attempt at something, but what? Hm.

kg598301 on October 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

CNN and Romney camp confirm ad pulled over CNN’s objections because of footage of Erick Erickson.

A lot of people sure look stupid.

swamp_yankee on October 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Oh Look Romney and the Liberal Media are giving Perry the Sarah Palin treatment LOL!

Who didn’t see this coming? I was listening to James Carville make this same noise on CNN last night. This is straight out of the Liberal Media Playbook.

I am not the least bit surprised. If only Perry would make himself more available to the media, these you tube clips could be creatively edited, and taken out of context, and really do a number on Perry….that’s the LSM lament, let us at Perry, we need to smear him some more -the viable conservative candidate has survived the first round of our lame smears. We need more material to work with. When he doesn’t make himself available to the Media… it’s the same smear it’s because he’s stupid. I doubt it seriously Team Perry knows perfectly well what the LSM do to the conservative candidate all anyone needs to do is search Sarah Palin on you tube.

Surrender Lame Stream Media those brownies aren’t coming out of the oven until they are fully baked. I swear, I can hear everyone at MSNBC & CNN gnashing their teeth ;)

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM