Biden: I wish my opponents knew what it was like to be robbed or raped

posted at 12:05 pm on October 19, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

As a gun owner and carry permit holder, I have to appreciate Joe Biden’s passion in advocating for must-issue permit laws across this great nation. CNS News has the audio from a Biden appearance yesterday in Philadelphia, where he rightly noted that self-defense was a key issue, and that opponents to such laws have never had to be on the wrong end of a gun:

“I wish these guys who thought it was temporary, I wish they had some notion of what it was like to be on the other side of a gun, or [to have] a 200-pound man standing over you, telling you to submit,” Biden told a crowd at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia on Tuesday, adding, “Folks, it matter, it matters.”

Bravo, Mr. Vice President, bravo. Americans have the right to bear arms in self-defense, and the police simply can’t fulfill the role of personal bodyguard for the citizenry. It’s about time that our federal government stood up for law-abiding citizens and their claim to the 2nd Amendment in real and practical terms.

What? Biden wasn’t talking about self-defense?  What the heck was he talking about?  Er … jobs?

“The other thing I’ve hear from my friends who oppose this – this whole jobs bill – [is] that this is just temporary,” Biden said.

“Well let me tell you, it’s not temporary when that 911 call comes in and a woman’s being raped, if a cop shows up in time to prevent the rape. It’s not temporary to that woman,” said Biden.  “It’s not temporary to the guy whose store is being held up and there’s a gun pointed at his head, if a cop shows up and he’s not killed. That’s not temporary to that store owner. Give me a break! Temporary. ”

In this scenario, a woman calls 911 and the rapist waits several minutes for police to prevent the rape?  Give us a break, Mr. Vice President.  Having the proper level of police on hand is critical for keeping the peace, but calls to 9/11 rarely prevent any crime; they just give people the quickest way to get police to respond after a crime has already been committed.  If one wants to give law-abiding citizens their best chance for defending themselves against attack, then must-issue permit laws are the quickest, cheapest, and most reliable way to allow it.

Besides, staffing for police departments is the responsibility of state and local governments, not the federal government, and this bill doesn’t put more police on the streets anyway.  It allows states to paper over budget gaps for another year rather than address their systemic budgetary issues, and protect unionized bureaucrats whose jobs should be on the chopping block.  It’s entirely temporary.  Biden’s going for cheap demagoguery here in order to hide the failure of the last stimulus package.

Comments

Biden: I wish my opponents knew what it was like to be robbed or raped.

And Biden is a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

We already know…everytime we pay our federal income taxes.

trs on October 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

When seconds count, a cop is just minutes away.

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

More love from the White House.

Aronne on October 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

So the jobs bill only funds cops?

Imagine this: Your children’s public school teacher is making her class learn every word of the Mexican national anthem.

Temporary?

Bishop on October 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Did they actually poll test this crap? I can’t imagine how they came to the conclusion that this was a good political strategery. Then again, they’re also running with the Elizabeth Warren claim about no rich person making it on their own.

Doughboy on October 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Ed, the photo you used on the home page for this story is soooo appropriate!
Jolted Joe does it again.

itsnotaboutme on October 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Biden: I wish my opponents knew what it was like to be robbed or raped.

And Biden is a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Unfortunately.

GrannyDee on October 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

From that first block of text, I thought maybe he was taking a bold stand against the SEIU.

Blacklake on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I wish Biden knew what it was like to be aborted.

CDeb on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

This Biden guy is an idiot.

DanMan on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

And Biden is a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Stupidest.
VP.
Ever.

Right in line after the stupidest President ever.

UltimateBob on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

3 years of Obama….Mr. Biden We do know what it is like to be raped and robbed.

milwife88 on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Clearly he’s not a taxpayer.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

When seconds count,the cops are only minutes away.

RadClown on October 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Good grief! Has he never heard the saying, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away”?

Makes me glad I got my CC permit last year.

stoutcat on October 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Biden looks like he was raped… he got his hair pulled out… then replaced…

charmingtail on October 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I’d like to remind my fellow commenters that many were practically shitting themselves over the fact that, under a McCain administration, Sarah Palin would have been a heartbeat way from the presidency.

That is all.

gryphon202 on October 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

We already know…everytime we pay our federal income taxes.
trs on October 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

He obviously wasn’t referring to taxes.

He didn’t say A$$-raped.

VelvetElvis on October 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Why isn’t there an immediate RNC ad?

blatantblue on October 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

And Biden is a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

The scary thing is that Biden couldn’t do any worse than Giggles.

crazy_legs on October 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

His heart is in the right place. He tries, plus he does have some law enforcement background,..Sheriff Joe.

a capella on October 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Reid – screw the private sector. govt jobs are the bomb.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

We really dodged a bullet with that Palin chick, didn’t we?

lorien1973 on October 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I feel the whole nation has been ‘robbed-or-raped’ from the first day bho and dear joe was elected!
L

letget on October 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Obama 2012: Republicans rape-or-rob jobs. I create-or-save them.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM

What? Biden wasn’t talking about self-defense? What the heck was he talking about?

Juanita Broaddrick?

MNHawk on October 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

One heartbeat away.

Red Cloud on October 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

It’s just fascinating to peek into Uncle Joe’s thought processes — to learn what he’s actually thinking about, and thinking about, and thinking about …

RedPepper on October 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I said it before and I’ll repeat it.
4 weeks ago nobody knew what a 1%r and 99%r was. Then the WH starts parroting them and Romney does a “me, too”. I fully expect Mittens to go down the “we DO have to protect against rape!” path in one week or less.
The WH is figuring out he’s their Pavlovian puppy.

Marcus on October 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I wish Joe knew what it was like to have brain damage due to multiple aneurysms.

Oh, wait…nevermind.

Christien on October 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I know what it’s like to have my ears raped. It happens every time Slow Joe speaks.

OhioCoastie on October 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

So, somehow funding the EPA, HUD, Education Department, bloated staff of elected officials, billions to foreign countries, SSDI checks to able bodied citizens, and on and on is somehow the same as your local police?

Screw you, Joe.

Gut some of these agencies and the Supreme Hacks who work there. How many 6 figure, virtual no-show jobs are being held in the various agencies and departments that produce absolutely nothing for this country?

reaganaut on October 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Maybe we wouldn’t feel the pressure to have more cops if the current ones didn’t have to respond to those fools who call 911 because their McDonalds nuggets are cold, or because they locked themselves inside their own car.

Bishop on October 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Well your constitutents know what it is like to be robbed and raped…by you and your administration!

Mr. Joe on October 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I am sure all of the rape victims in this country and around the world upon hearing Sheriff Joe’s kind words…

… are reliving their own personal nightmare.

Thanks Joe…

Seven Percent Solution on October 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

They told me if I voted for John McCain we’d end up with an idiot as vice president. Well I did, and we do.

AZCoyote on October 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

right now there is a serial rapist prowling the banks of the charles river/ the esplanade…

and all the cops are doing overtime babysitting illegally camping, permit-less layabouts on the green parts of uncle teddy’s big dig boondoggle across town.

mittens on October 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

3 years of Obama… Mr. Biden, we do know what it is like to be raped and robbed.

milwife88 on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yuppers…

Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

When seconds count, a cop is just minutes away.

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

(1) Why do I carry a .45? Because a policeman’s too heavy.

(2) Why do I carry a .45? Because they don’t make a .46.

The War Planner on October 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Hey, I thought it was raped and murdered? Poor Joe can’t even get that right.

Good News is that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are dining in the style of the Fat Cat CEOs.

bloggless on October 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I wish my opponents knew what it was like to be robbed or raped…….

…….hey Joe, we have been…..by you and the countless Progressives in Congress and the courts and by voters in this country that are part of the TEATER NATION.

God Help us survive the fools that run this asylum.

PappyD61 on October 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I thought Slow Joe was supposed to be Sherrif or something. Why the hell isn’t he stopping the rapists?

Kensington on October 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

By the way, I yearn for the day when people stop talking about him as if he’s some kind of dim-but-lovable uncle. The man is a cretin and a moral imbecile. It should be a national disgrace that he’s Vice President.

Kensington on October 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM

“a member of the cracked skulls club…”

ted c on October 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yeah Joe… “I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes, you’d know what a drag it is to see you……” dunce.

RalphyBoy on October 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Four letter Joe strikes again. A gift that keeps on giving!

rjoco1 on October 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Ed, the photo you used on the home page for this story is soooo appropriate!
Jolted Joe does it again.

itsnotaboutme on October 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

“Yeah, do that harmonica thing again, Barack! I LOVE that!”

Ward Cleaver on October 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

So Joe…is that why there’s always enough money to fund your Secret Service?

Well we don’t have that luxury. And we already know what it’s like to be raped. YOu and Obama have been doing that for 3 years now.

capejasmine on October 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Out of all the prevented cases of rape how many of them were due to the police? I can’t imagine much to be honest. Yet this group of morons would take away the best tools to stop a rape without a second thoughht.

clement on October 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

All I can say is when you really think about who our VP is, it’s DUMBfounding.

tim c on October 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

(1) Why do I carry a .45? Because a policeman’s too heavy.

(2) Why do I carry a .45? Because they don’t make a .46.

The War Planner on October 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

But they do make a .50AE.

You gotta love this country for the firearms, alone!

ajacksonian on October 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM

but calls to 9/11 rarely prevent any crime

You mean “911″ right? Not September 11?

Jens on October 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

[to have] a 200-pound man standing over you, telling you to submit

Fear or fantasy for Slow Joe? You decide.

Aviator on October 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

But they do make a .50AE.

You gotta love this country for the firearms, alone!

ajacksonian on October 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Don’t forget, some folks still like wheelguns.

Extrafishy on October 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

milwife88, trs, VelvetElvis, lorien1973, OhioCoastie, Fallon, capejasmine…

seriously? Democratic economic policy merits rape equivalence?

Jens on October 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Don’t forget, some folks still like wheelguns.

Extrafishy on October 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I wike weel guns. Much better than fake guns. :-)

coldwarrior on October 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I thought that was his modus operandi.

elfman on October 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Joseph Biden please go $%&K yourself.

I have been carjacked & robbed at knifepoint.
I have been shot at.
I have had a gangbanger point a gun at me and threaten to kill me and the only thing I could do (thanks to D.C. gun laws that don’t even permit most security guards to be armed) was tell him to get on with it.

My little sister and my ex have both been raped. I have comforted them and prevented (talked down) the 2nd from suicide as the result of that (in her case repeated) horror.

Police funding has NO effect on either of them. What has an effect is whether they & I have the right to bear arms and defend ourselves.

Again I say Mr. VP go @$%K yourself. And then have your voicebox surgically removed as you’ve obviously had a damn lobotomy.

SgtSVJones on October 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Joe’s mind has been raped.

faraway on October 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Can you fathom the moral depravity a person has to have to actually say in public “I wish they had some notion of what it was like to be on the other side of a gun”?

To wish harm and fear upon people who just want the TRUTH about this bill told is disgusting. It’s not a jobs bill – Teachers and police and firefighters are state/local employees. It is NOT up to the Federal Government to pay them at all. Ever.

It is exactly the people who have suffered rape, robbery, violence, and/or death in their lives and the lives of their family – who understand fully the despicable moral depravity of such a lie from the mouth of the Vice President of the United States of America.

jackal40 on October 19, 2011 at 2:39 PM

WTF? Who says that??

ReformedAndDangerous on October 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM

…but calls to 9/11 rarely prevent any crime…

Right, usually the plane’s already been hijacked.

playblu on October 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

911 is there to AVENGE you, not save you.

Wood Dragon on October 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

As someone who has actually been raped, I could be offended by this, if I was the type of person who let people’s words offend me. However awful that event was, (and it was), these last three years have been 10x more depressing. So, thanks for that, Joe.

di butler on October 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I wish they had some notion of what it was like to be on the other side of a gun…

Hey Joe, why don’t you ask Brian Terry what it feels like?

Oh, wait, you can’t. He’s dead. He was murdered with a gun that your administration sold to the drug cartel that murdered him. Never mind.

Bruce MacMahon on October 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Had me going for a minute there. I was worried about having to agree with Lonesome Joe. Should have known better

AZfederalist on October 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Biden: I wish my opponents knew what it was like to be robbed or raped

3 years of Obama….Mr. Biden We do know what it is like to be raped and robbed.

milwife88 on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

3 years of Obama… Mr. Biden, we do know what it is like to be raped and robbed.

milwife88 on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yuppers…

Fallon on October 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

PappyD61 on October 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

HEY, JOE!

we all wish you knew what it felt like to be US!

listens2glenn on October 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM

What he doesn’t seem to understand is that there are so many Democrats that become Republicans after they have been mugged.

It’s all cool to talk about crime and gun control when in the bubble of academia, or a gated community, but in real life, it’s a different story.

joelj31 on October 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM