Video: Rick Perry, still America’s jobs governor

posted at 12:05 pm on October 18, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Right now, Rick Perry’s poll numbers are anything but pretty. Yet, to judge by the release of this little web video, his campaign is anything but daunted. Maybe his newly detailed jobs plan will, ahem, energize him in the debate tonight.

Perry is still strong on jobs like Michele Bachmann is still strong on healthcare. He needs to pound that home tonight. Yet, I can’t help but think that might not help him much. The real problem with Perry’s campaign has nothing to do with the views he advocates and everything to do with the way he advocates them. I don’t just mean that he’s performed poorly in debates. I mean the point Michelle Malkin raised about his handling of Gardasil early on: The question of whether he’ll barrel over whatever stands in his way — even legitimate obstacles — to achieve his end. His “heartless” comment hinted at how brashly he brands his opponents so as to sweep them aside.

Comparisons to Andrew Jackson are stunningly appropriate — and that concerns me. Jackson might have had the right ideas — limited government, debt reduction, a return to federalism — but, practically speaking, he ended up expanding the power of the executive. And while a robust executive branch might seem OK under a Jackson or a Reagan or a Perry, it’s been problematic under Obama, who, while not a leader, has nevertheless proved himself adept at powering his agenda through the one branch he completely controls when Congress fails to cooperate with him.

Still, would Old Rickory be more apt to abuse the presidency than Romney? And we have no record at all by which to judge Herman Cain’s respect for the separation of powers. Sometimes, I think the only candidate I feel really sure of — that is, the only candidate whose rhetoric matches her record (or lack thereof) — is Bachmann — but, after her quick rise and fall, nobody seems to consider her a realistic option. She’s done well in every single debate, too, but all anyone seems to remember are her campaign-trail gaffes and her “jump-the-shark” Gardasil moment.

Still, her story reminds me the campaign is far from over. No one has sealed the nomination yet — and, if conservatives are serious in their persistent preference for anyone-but-Romney, then Perry should surely still have a chance no less than Cain or Gingrich or Bachmann, all of whom have made mistakes that pundits claimed would effectively end their campaigns.

P.S. Slightly off-topic, but I also wonder why the candidates aren’t talking a little more about deficit reduction as a way to ultimately grow the economy to create jobs. That’s an advantage Republicans can uniquely press because the president has proved himself to be fundamentally unserious about reducing the deficit. I’d love to hear a candidate make the case tonight that reining in government spending is essential to long-term lower unemployment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is the Texan economy due to Perry? Or is it due to the pro-business and cultural attitude of Texas? That’s my question to myself.
Oil Can on October 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM

It’s what professional politicians do, take all the credit for anything good and refuse to accept responsibility for anything bad. Like Dukakis and the “Massachusetts Miracle”.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM

But you will tear them all down?
cozmo on October 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I happen to think Perry is the worst of the bunch. I don’t really devote much energy to the others. But frankly, it is interesting that it is considered tearing someone down to speak the truth about them.

Quite honestly, I wouldn’t have a problem with Cain if it weren’t for the statement about not allowing Muslims to serve in his cabinet. Not only is that probably not a good stance to take as a blanket rule, but I wouldn’t really want a president who made rash statements like that without thinking them through.

As for Romney, I don’t love him but at least he has a brain.

But do I think any Republican is better than Obama? Absolutely not. I do not think Rick Perry would be any better than Obama. Just different (in some ways).

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
hanzblinx on October 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM
athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM
Oh, lookie, we got ourselves a chorus.
Must have been exposed to Gardasil.
cozmo on October 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Would I be shocked to one day be told “kos” had arranged well ahead his own little little “Operation Chaos”? Just sayin’.

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM

most of the new jobs Perry takes credit for absolutely suck.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM
And they all go to Mexicans anyway. Truth.

pseudonominus on October 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM

All jobs bring in tax money just like all of the other States that have illegal populations. Until the Feds stop talking out of both sides of their mouths, that will continue.

If you Gov. Perry critics would think..you would understand the Feds will not support a fence or prohibit in any way illegals coming into the U.S. because they need their votes. THAT is the bottom line.

You are doing the same thing that the OWS people are doing. They are in the wrong place, D.C. is where they need to be.

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Oh my God! Is this what we have come to? People speaking the TRUTH about a candidate’s positions are accused of being plants from the other side??

If that’s the case I am really, really sad for this country, because it means the right is just as deluded as the left.

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

But you’ve answered the original question by stating Perry is the worst of the bunch and used falsehoods and debunked thin research to attack him, cloaking it in “only asking questions”. You also will not attack any of the other candidates. You also make the claim that you will not vote if you don’t get what you want. Guess what, you are a Perry hater.

cozmo on October 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM

No, you’d be delusional, paranoid and totally out of touch with reality. But folks can only surmise that’s your status quo. So, no – no shock on that account.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM

cozmo on October 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I don’t like to use the word hate in general, but I would say that I am a Perry “strong disliker.” But I never denied that.

They are not falsehoods. I have not heard or seen anything to suggest that data isn’t true from any source, INCLUDING straight from the horse’s mouth. Should I take your word that it was debunked?

Also, I did not say I would not vote. I said I would not vote for a Republican candidate who I find deeply flawed because to me that is no better than voting for a Democrat. I would vote for a third party.

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Perry claims have been discredited!

Why are you trying so hard to push Perry’s lies?

Move over to Cain.

Perry is a loser.

petunia on October 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

There are some severely mentally ill people, such as Marcus, who every time someone’s poll numbers go up or down or a candidate beclowns himself, actually believe it could only be due to a massive dark conspiracy. Pretty much the same mindset as the 9-11 nutcases.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

In other words, Perry will have to become someone else, and convince the GOP base that he has genuinely changed.

Good luck with that.

Rebar on October 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM

It doesn’t seem to be helping Romney much:-)

Gov. Perry only needs to be himself, no change is needed. We don’t want Gov. Perry to be a clone of any of the other “R’s” running. They can’t seem to do anything other than attack Gov. Perry with their distortions and lies. Newt has been the only exception.

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM

“Rick Perry’s poll numbers may be sinking to new lows, but Mitt Romney still considers the Texas governor his most politically viable opponent in the Republican presidential race.”

kg598301 on October 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

nswider on October 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I agree..Anderson Cooper scares me..The questions could go “360″ for sure..:)

Dire Straits on October 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Oh now cupcake, don’t worry about little me. I just notice any Perry thread and the same newbies to HotAir (I’ve been here since Michelle opened the doors) all flock and have the same talking points, in some cases – tripping over each other. Bottom line is I can’t see ANYone actually enthused to vote for a perennial squish loser like Romney unless they have an alterior agenda, or are being paid.

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The Perry haters don’t care what the facts are. They want to hang on the the false narratives about his stances and record. But if there’s any chance at all that Obama can win re-election, it will be against Romney.

cartooner on October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

A full 70% of Republican voters don’t want Romney, and the more his record is exposed, the harder their anti-Romney positions will be. But if he squeaks through, you Rombots will be the only ones excited about it.

cartooner on October 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM

If you count every job given to an illegal alien, Perry’s TX numbers look good. Otherwise his state is in the crapper as far as jobs go.

hanzblinx on October 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Bull. You know nothing of what you speak, there are jobs of all kinds available here. That’s why we have people moving to Texas in droves, which is the ONLY reason the unemployment figures are what they are. They move here without a job, ’cause they know they’ll get one.

A Texan

kg598301 on October 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

You’re equating Perry-bashing with Romney support. Not necessarily true.

My “agenda” is not “ulterior” at all: it is that Rick Perry not be the Republican nominee. And yes, I will do the very minimal amount I can to help make sure that does not happen. It is hard for me to imagine voting for any of these other candidates, although I suppose some are better than others, but I cannot vote for Rick Perry. Ironically, the only way to persuade people that Perry is not the right candidate is… to point to his record!

The one good thing Perry did, in my opinion, was to endorse Rudy Giuliani in the 2008 primary. I appreciated that at the time, knowing nothing else about Perry, so I gave him a chance when he entered the race. (I was a Rudy supporter.) Every fact I learned about Perry caused him to sink in my estimation. So I try to point out facts about Perry to others. Everyone has to vote as their conscience guides them. I just hope everything happens for the best.

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Gov. Perry only needs to be himself, no change is needed.

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Perry, being himself, went from well in the lead to single digits. He will either change or lose.

Rebar on October 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM

kg598301 on October 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Romney slams Perry as career politician so says the man running for the highest political office in the land for the last 6 years LMAO.

Pot meet Kettle.

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I just notice any Perry thread and the same newbies to HotAir
Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I’m sure that’s part of your delusion, more’s the pity.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Oh, Tina Bachmann has another “top” priority now. It’s no longer Obamacare, it’s the fence at the border. LOL, not just any fence mind you, it’s a DOUBLE fence. And in addition, it’s going to be along the entire length of the border with Mexico!!!

Now in case you don’t believe her, she has signed a pledge!!
“I have been saying this all through the campaign,’ Bachmann said. “Now you have my word in writing.”

Well, that sounds great! Now the Gov. Perry critics can remove that fence issue, since Bachmann is going to construct it:-)

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Unfortunately, campaigning for President requires more than just running glitzy commercials. It requires the ability to present one’s thoughts in a coherent manner extemporaneously. Therein lies the problem for Mr. Perry.

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Midas on October 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Ah ha ha, that made me snort with laughter!

kg598301 on October 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Marcus on October 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

You’re equating Perry-bashing with Romney support. Not necessarily true.
athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It’s something like pointing out to the Truthers that, yes, steel does melt. They are so infuriated that anybody even mentions that fact they can only rage about how everyone is against them in response. People like Marcus are just so over the top emotionally invested that they cannot conceive that anybody could ever possibly disagree with them. So they panic and see conspiracies everywhere instead.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Illegal immigration and border control are some of the most serious issues facing the country. Anyone who doesn’t understand that is a fool.

As late as 1980 70% of the population of Texas was Anglo. By 2020 Hispanics will outnumber Anglos in Texas and by 2040 nearly 70% of the state’s population will be Hispanic. Texas faces a $10 billion shortfall in 2012 and much of it is caused by the cost of programs for illegals.

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I’ve been called many things here for refusing to believe Palin was going to run for POTUS. Guess what? I was right.

People here are so afraid of the truth. First the endless shilling for Sara and now Perry. Maybe they are plants from Mexico, or kos, or all the above.

hanzblinx on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

hanzblinx on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Why do you think it is that some people have that problem? I mean, their issue of not be able to accept that others will have varying, strong views? An ego thing?

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM

It reminds me of the liberals I knew in college. They were so used to an echo chamber that they were personally and morally offended when presented with evidence that countered their worldview.

I guess they expect to post on conservative leaning blogs and chirp about how awesome Perry is because (…still waiting for that part…) and have it parroted back to them. When other people with conservative leanings have the audacity to present them with facts that challenge that, they short circuit.

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Rebar on October 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM

We know he is not a great debater. However, it is my opinion that he has been scripted too much. It is too bad that orchestrated debates carry so much weight. If I had only watched these debates and not read HA and done my own research on the Candidates records, I would have the same opinion that many do. And I don’t just mean Gov. Perry, but all of the Candidates.

I think this is the purpose of having so many debates; i.e., let’s elect the best debater. Sad, really when you see that the MSM networks with their own Mods and their agenda set the stage. Great, isn’t it? The Left Wing Networks get to pick the Republican Presidential Nominee?

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM

athenanyc on October 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Yeah and I suppose it’s the same no matter the topic. People even kill other people over the silliest of things. When folks disagree with me or I with them, I learned a loooong time ago that’s just the way life goes.

whatcat on October 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM

That movie trailer seems like it’s a good movie…

… When does it come out?

Seven Percent Solution on October 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I and most Americans have known that for years. The border States know it better than others. However, they all don’t stay in Texas or AZ. They are in most all of the States.

My point in being critical of Bachmann saying she has taken a pledge to build a double fence covering Mexico is that it’s just another issue that she can use to gain attention. This is her m.o., along with being a Romney attack dog. Bachmann is out for Bachmann and those that would research her record would know that she is a great talker only.

She will continue to attack Gov. Perry on behalf of Romney. The fact that she has done this for quite some time and lied about what she said is the reason I have no use for her and wouldn’t even vote for her as a House Rep if I lived in Minnesota.

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Perry has a great jobs record. Can’t wait to get a conservative like Perry, that can get things done, into the White House.

kerrhome on October 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM

P.S. Slightly off-topic, but I also wonder why the candidates aren’t talking a little more about deficit reduction as a way to ultimately grow the economy to create jobs.

Perry does in his speeches on the trail. And he actually accomplished it in TX (you should hear the squealing from the Dems about the children!). It would be good to hear that in the debates too.

juliesa on October 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM

bluefox on October 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Illegal immigrants come to the U.S. because of the free goodies they receive.Rather than being the brightest and the best, most are the least educated and unskilled.

Illegals go to states that have a welcoming attitude and offer lots of perks. With it’s Lone Star card, in-state tuition and other goodies, it’s no wonder that Texas ranks with California and Illinois as the three states with the highest percentage increase in illegal aliens during the last decade. It’s also the reason these states (along with New Jersey) are the only states anticipating a shortfall in 2012.

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Cain’s divisive rhetoric
Herman Cain Thinks You’re the Enemy Within
How would a President Cain treat civil libertarians and critics of interventionism? If his past columns are any indication, he’d brand them as terrorist sympathizers and allies of the enemy.

Spathi on October 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Perry/Gingrich ’12 :-)

Punchenko on October 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Sorry….
Whenever I hear/see Perry anymore, I just can’t get “Tuna, Eggs, Doritos, Cheesecake, Tamale….See Ya!”, out of my head.

“Save a pretzel for the gas jets”. he he

tencole on October 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Riccardo Perry, who lead in Ohio polling last month, drops to 6th place with a whopping 5%. Another state (along with Iowa, New Hampshire and Florida) where the “$17 million Man has fallen behind Michele Bachmann.

Cain is surging in Ohio, but according to the Perry Fangirls, Rick is the only Republican who can stop Romney and beat Obama … maybe in Texas.

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Call me heartless, but I want a President who will fight to end ILLEGAL immigration.

The U.S. is the most generous country in the world when it comes to accepting people from all over the world. All we ask is that they come here legally!

If Rick Perry wants to earn my vote, I need to see some action from him on reducing ILLEGAL immigration in Texas NOW.

Requiring e-Verify for all state employees would be a good start.

Cutting off state benefits to ILLEGAL aliens in Texas would be a good second step.

If we don’t elect people in 2012 (at the Federal, State and Local levels)who are willing and able to end ILLEGAL immigration, demographic shifts may prevent us from ever being able to end it.

wren on October 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Romney’s poor attack on the Texas jobs record: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2011/10/18/misfire_romney_ad_targets_rick_perrys_jobs_record

kerrhome on October 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM

wren on October 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

57% of legal aliens and 70% of illegal aliens in Texas receive welfare:

Why do you think Texas is anticipating a $10 billion shortfall in 2012?

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

So, Perry doesn’t debate well, certainly not in the ridiculous formats used this year. Considering the field, I’m not yet ready to write him off.

He’s very conservative,with some quirks. Espesially illegal immigration. But he’s proven agile in the past on bone-headed positions. And I dont expect him to come up with a government funded health care plan, I dont expect to see him in any kumbuyah psa’s with Harry Pelosi, and I don’t expect him to introduce a VAT that will grow like a cancer.

I’m starting to like his chances again.

applebutter on October 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I’m finding it a little odd watching the threads. It seems to be a common theme with some folks to question Perry’s jobs record, using the argument that it had nothing to do with Perry, but the people of Texas for creating an environment that is very hospitable to business. Yet it’s the people of Texas who vote in the people who enact our laws and regulations…which creates the environment. Do you really think someone like Obama could ever be elected Gov. in Texas? Nope, but then I guess people in Texas can see through a lot of BS. Maybe…just maybe, the folks in Texas know something a lot of the rest of the country doesn’t seem to understand(or willfully refuse to understand). Just a thought.

BadMojo on October 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Why would Romney start up an anti-Perry site if Cain is the front runner, even ahead of Romney in some polls?

kerrhome on October 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Rick Perry owes everything to Obama. He would be nothing without Obama’s stimulus. Rick Perry is a total fabrication, looking at any of his claims reveals that he is total media hype.

petunia on October 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hot Air is so biased it’s really become pathetic. You should just become the advertising arm for the Perry campaign until he drops out.

Or just hire Anita Perry already because Tina is really doing her work for her.

sheryl on October 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM

If Perry can’t handle the GOP debates, he wont be able to handle Obama. And it wont matter how many jobs he supported. These politicians hang on way too long. It’s time for Perry to drop out and save us from having to watch him sleepwalk through the debates.

csdeven on October 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Perry is fine. He’s the only other candidate with a substantial amount of money to compete. He does need to step it up though. Cain doesn’t have the money or infrastructure to compete.

therightwinger on October 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Brilliant ad! Love it. Drill, baby, drill. Energy indepence, it could be ours.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Tina just really does not have a clue as to the impact of Perry’s Phase 1 plan. It is NOT about energy at all. It is about the raw material which is used in manufacturing for more than fuel.

It is why manufacturing will return to Midwestern states.

It is why present operating manufacturers will not have to IMPORT feedstock for their products.

It is why we can once again be self sufficient in fertilizer manufacturing (not blending) instead of relying on places like Saudi Arabia, Trinidad and Chile for ammonia and urea.

Kermit on October 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Cain doesn’t have the money or infrastructure to compete.

therightwinger on October 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Or the knowledge of the way the world works, either.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM

They aren’t now…they show up for work, and actually work…
right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Easy to get people to work when you can threaten them with dire consequences and be immune from the same. I believe that is called something, slavery.

If it is uneconomic to have legal, free, and protected workers do something, humans should be cut out of it. Not have illegals come in the back door while complaining that they cant find a US citizen(naturalized or by non-anchored birth) willing to accept the deal given to illegals.

Those illegals ruin the reputation of every legal immigrant. The legal ones made sacrifices, but were willing to become US citizens.

sethstorm on October 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM

sethstorm on October 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Actually, there are contractors who have used LEGAL Mexican laborers mainly because the CAN pass a drug screen and actually work. In certain areas of the economy, especially in jobs requiring a 10 year background check by the FBI, there have been labor shortages.

Kermit on October 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM

bw222 on October 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Not so sure the commercials are all that glitzy. Can’t Perry find a cameraman that can hold a camera flat? Seems like the images are always tilted…

Steve Z on October 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM