Susan Sarandon smarts off about the Pope

posted at 8:30 pm on October 18, 2011 by Tina Korbe

These days, I’m so not surprised by Celebrity X saying Stupid Quote Y that my reaction is usually ZZZ …

But, today, Susan Sarandon awakened indignation. Maybe it’s because, like Andrew Klavan, I consider the present pope to be one of the most brilliant theologically-minded men on the planet today and probably ever. Maybe it’s because, even though I’m an ardent admirer of Pope John Paul II, I grow weary of the way countless JPII fans assume his successor couldn’t possibly be as sensational — and use their appreciation of John Paul II’s charisma as an excuse for Benedict-bashing. Maybe (and this is the least likely) it’s because I’m still bitter at Susan Sarandon and Timothy Robbins for splitting after 23 years, ending all hope of a Hollywood happily-ever-after.

Whatever the reason, I find Sarandon’s recent remarks about Pope Benedict XVI utterly unacceptable:

During an event at the Hamptons Film Festival, Sarandon said she had sent a copy of the book “Dead Man Walking” in hopes that the late Pope John Paul II would elevate the issue of the death penalty in church teaching. According to reports, Sarandon said she sent the book to “The last [pope]. Not this Nazi one we have now.

Never mind that Pope Benedict XVI’s relationship with the Hitler Youth and Nazi Germany has been clarified over and over again. Joseph Ratzinger’s family was fiercely anti-Nazi, he himself was never a member of the Nazi Party, he was forced to enter an auxiliary unit of the German Army and he deserted before the war’s end. Nevertheless, it was an easy pot shot for Sarandon and she took it.

Response to her irresponsible quip has been quick and correct:

The Anti-Defamation League called Sarandon’s words “a disturbing, deeply offensive and completely uncalled for attack on the good name of Pope Benedict XVI.”

William Donohue of the Catholic League also blasted Sarandon’s comments, noting: “Susan Sarandon’s ignorance is willful: those who have hatred in their veins are not interested in the truth. The fact is that Joseph Ratzinger (the pope) was conscripted at the age of 14 into the Hitler Youth, along with every other young German boy. Unlike most of the other teenagers, Ratzinger refused to go to meetings, bringing economic hardship to his family. Moreover, unlike most of the others, he deserted at the first opportunity.”

Every time I write about something like this (incivility toward the Tea Party, for example), I wish I could afford to be a little less sensitive. I’d like to be able to embrace snark and insensitivity and not begrudge the other side its stabs and jabs. But, in the end, it’s not really either color, wit and comedy or civility, substance and sweetness. With truth as the foundation, sarcasm and sincerity alike have a place. It’s possible to have a robust dialogue in which we speak plainly, refusing to be easily offended, at the same time that we stay attuned to an innate sense of the sacred and refuse to violate it. The key is not to indulge in baseless, unprovoked accusations (i.e. to speak truthfully). Sarandon clearly doesn’t grasp that.

Comments

(yawn)

Good Lt on October 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Expecting a non-apology apology (e.g. sorry IF you were offended) in 5…4…3…

Chappy on October 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Just another reason to skip her films.

GarandFan on October 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

for attack on the good name of Pope Benedict XVI.”

*snort*

mythicknight on October 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Remember about a year ago when some performing transvestite projectile vomited all over Sarandon? I do. :)

Blake on October 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Since when has Susan Sarandon had anything intelligent to say?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GrannyDee on October 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Pope Benedict is a nazi…I can’t muster up a big enough *facepalm* for that one. Like Gutfeld said today, she’s just angry her “son” dumped her.

JetBoy on October 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Gee, she gets dumped by one guy and takes it out on the Pope.
She’s looking a little rough, too. Maybe that’s the reason for this.

bloggless on October 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I’m not Catholic but believe the Pope is a great man. What is in these nasty people—-Sarandon, Mahrer, etc that make them say such awful things?
They intentionally do it to anger and upset people knowing they are immune from a well deserved ass kicking.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Just a publicity stunt in order to stay relevant, and hopefully get another part in a movie. Otherwise, what else does she have? Nothing!

capejasmine on October 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Does Sarandon have the “courage” to send a copy to one of the Nazi ayatollahs? I thought not.

onlineanalyst on October 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Yawn…you want to impress me say something nutter about “Muhammad”

Caper29 on October 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

another part in a movie. Otherwise, what else does she have? Nothing!

capejasmine on October 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM

“Old washed up sluts” has a casting call posted.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Sorry Tina, but two such hateful people could never live happily-ever-after.

I always thought that the Piper Laurie role(the whacko mother) in Carrie or the Joan Crawford role in Mommie Dearest were tailor made for Sarandon…typecasting.

Deanna on October 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM

The Roman Catholic Churchs’ problem is Vatican II , not the current Pope

LeeSeneca on October 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

true story, Soros was a nazi collaborator.

joeindc44 on October 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

The woman is vile, period. Head to toe vile.

FireBlogger on October 18, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Amen, Ed. I wish I could do this too. But I have no more ability to suffer fools gladly than you do. This flippant, sneering comment about the leader of over a billion Catholics frames her parochial understanding of issues and frames her as what she is; incompitent and uncaring to change that. May she sit in her lonely house forever, repeating to empty walls her aimless and vapid platitudes.

itsspideyman on October 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Sarandon a fan of OWS and joined the protesters. OWS has its fair share of NAZIS. Ergo, Sarandon is a Nazi sympathizer./

Buy Danish on October 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Listened to this Street Dogs song this morning after hearing this story:

Take your soapbox rants and your politics
Stick them where the sun don’t shine
Won’t solicit your advice
You’re on the red carpet
Espousing your opinions
Why can’t you just shut your mouth
Don’t tell us how to feel

Don’t preach to me, I cannot hear you
Don’t preach to me, we really won’t care
Don’t preach to me, you’re so self-righteous
You’re a celebrity

They wear views on their sleeves
Thinking that it counts
But we have minds of our own
Sarandon shut your mouth
Just stick to the acting
Films and TV shows
Give us time to think for ourselves
Please give us that much

RDuke on October 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Joseph Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth in 1939. Membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939. He refused to attend the meetings. He was then drafted while still attending the seminary. This was 1943 toward the end of the war. Hardly a Nazi. Just barely a soldier and never in combat. How does she fell about Arnold Schwarzenegger’s father? Or for that matter the Nazi collaborator George Soros. They probable get a pass in her mixed up reality.

Tommy_G on October 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

not a nazi, just a collaborator.

sesquipedalian on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I know this upsets some of you to hear me say this, but I really think she’s HOT looking for her age.

Her assets pretty much end there.

listens2glenn on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

This Pope stood up to the real current Nazism, ~Islam, by calling their Sword doctrine an evil, and Sarandon calls Benedict a nazi?

Dumb as a box of beeyatches.

profitsbeard on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I’m sure he forgives her. He’s that kind of guy.

Ted Torgerson on October 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Her assets pretty much end there.

listens2glenn on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I have always thought the same thing but the dark soul is a deal breaker. Funny how she kept her political crap to herself back in the early 70′s.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Another Sinead O’Connor moment?

diogenes on October 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM

not a nazi, just a collaborator.

sesquipedalian on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Yeah, that Soros is a piece of work.

hillbillyjim on October 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM

commies never can tell the real nazis because it would reveal to much about themselves and their own totalitarian stench.

mittens on October 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Gawd, what a boring post. As if the Pope even cares …

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Tina, the left will smear you and create non existent stuff about you.

rbj on October 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM

susan who?

DrW on October 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Well she is reduced to making” Got Milk” commercials.

docflash on October 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM

You pathetic, bitter old hag. STFU. Thanks in advance.

==========================================================================
==========================================================================

Love ya, mean it…

Oh:

/ / / / / / /S A R C

hillbillyjim on October 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM

My God
Don’t say anything about the Pope!
He might not sell you an indulgence.
That is what really created western civilization you know.
Selling invisible snake oil to the poor.
Now there’s wealth creation for you.

Observation on October 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I apologize to be so blunt but in this case we are dealing with an elderly woman with terminal yeast infection and it’s neurological manifestations. This is an ugly and debilitating disease and should not be held against her. She smells like a bakery but she is not responsible.

Mason on October 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Too bad Thelma and Louise wasn’t a reality show.

Firmworm on October 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Knew her peripherally in college and she was the usual uber-liberal speech and drama student. When Sarandon refers to Benedict as a “Nazi” she means he is conservative and traditional – qualities she abhors.

Susan is just another wild-eyed, faux Pelosi Catholic.

marybel on October 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Desparate attempt to stay relevant. She’s old, bitter, single and irrelevant. Now onto the next absurd quote from somebody else that means nothing to my life…

conmo on October 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Candidiasis is uncomfortable and leads to foolish statements if not treated.

Mason on October 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM

She’s not very bright, not attractive, now single (older women aren’t very successful finding companionship in their later years)…you have to feel sorry for her. I don’t, but then again I’m probably heartless.

TulsAmerican on October 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM

So the latest Pope is called a “Nazi”.

He must be a Tea Party supporter.

Who’s Sarandon anyways? The last movie I saw her in, she murdered a unarmed man, robbed people of their legally earned money, destroyed the property of other private citizens, and endandgered the lives of police officers. And then committed suicide, the best part of the movie.

Hog Wild on October 19, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Her assets pretty much end there.

listens2glenn on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Well, she was, but have you really seen close-up pics of her recently? She was hanging on for a while, but she has crossed over, my friend…

yubley on October 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I go out of my way not to watch a movie that she is in.

Think the last one I saw her in was the “Rocky Horror Picture Show”…1975.

albill on October 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Yes, Tina, the remarks are unacceptable, and stupid and irrelevant. They will have impact only with tiny minds that are equally irrelevant and they will be forgotten as all mindless mutterings should be. To me it doesn’t seem like enough to cause a troubled heart. I don’t fault you for blasting Sarandon for this. These witless celebs need to be called out when they go full retard in public. Just don’t let it ruin an otherwise good day.

SKYFOX on October 19, 2011 at 5:56 AM

I think this clip from the movie was the reason I remember her in the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” movie.
And it sure wasn’t her singing quality…

albill on October 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Susan Sarandon is a bitter hag who is past her sell by date. She’s just trying to remain relevant. Given her wealth, she’s probably part of the 1% she’s railing against.
George Soros. His family’s real last name was Schwartz, and back in WWII his father was one of the Jews who went around confiscating Jewish property for the Nazis. Soros is a made up name from some cult his father belonged to, and it’s supposed to mean “to soar.” Little Georgie went around with his dad on these trips, and in an intyerview he stated that if we didn’t do it someone else would. That was the logic they used to justify their behavior. His older brother admitted his biggest hardship in WWII was that he couldn’t get any Slazenger tennis balls.

May they all rot in hell.

RPL on October 19, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Just another reason to skip her films.

GarandFan on October 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

She’s in films????

sdd on October 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Isn’t it funny how the previous Pope (who was villified by the left when he was Pope) is now the “good Pope”, and the current Pope is the “evil Pope?” Similarly we occasionally hear about how past Republicans (sometimes even Reagan) were reasonable and equitable while current Republicans are insane wanna-be tyrants, even though all those past Republicans were assailed as insane tyrants when they were around.

dkmonroe on October 19, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Is S.S. still living in sin?

Akzed on October 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM

The left has a fondness foe John Paul 2, now that he is safely dead.

theCork on October 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM

So popes are like Republican presidents. To the left, the last one is always better than the current one.

SD on October 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM

for attack on the good name of Pope Benedict XVI.”
*snort*

mythicknight on October 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

You’re a fvcking a$$. You don’t know the restraint it took to not mock your stupid sad-face emoticon comment on the Steve Jobs thread the day he died. Out of respect for Jobs and the people that were offering heart felt comments, no one said anything. It was just so ironic that you had such emotion for him and you absolutely crap on everything else to include a thread about a little girl getting her mouth fixed. You’re a pathetic POS.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM

“Smarts Off?” You got one word wrong.

Catherine Wilkinson on October 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM

You know what’s really funny? How the atheists here place so much blame on people of faith in non-leadership positions in Europe during WWII, yet have the intellectual dishonesty to completely abdicate the atheist’s, (in leadership positions) contributions to it and really, most of the horrors of the last century.

Go pretzel logic!!!

hawkdriver on October 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer pair of hateful left wing psychopaths.

UltimateBob on October 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM

listens2glenn on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I have always thought the same thing but the dark soul is a deal breaker.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I agree 100%. I love MILFs (and even GILFs), and she is pretty, but because of her inability to reason, I could never stand to be within her presence for more than a few seconds.

I mean, my pets have more reasoning ability than she does.

UltimateBob on October 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

One of the rules of Hollywood must be that negative publicity is better than no publicity.

Susan sure reinforces that with that cute little quip.

TimBuk3 on October 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

This Pope will be remembered for millennia. What’s her name is already forgotten.

Mason on October 19, 2011 at 1:48 PM

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM

The dark side of human nature causes them to do it. They are trying to find a scapegoat on to which to vent their own personal pent up malice, frustrations and hatred.
They are not trying to upset people. They are trying to make an accusation, a shocking charge, of such obvious moral clarity that all others will join them in repudiating and expelling the chosen target of their venom.
They want others to join them in their hate and thereby ratified the destruction of their chosen target.
They prefer targets of traditional moral and religious status because such targets offer opportunity to create an accusation with sufficient shock value to satisfy. That’s why Catholic clergy and Orthodox Jews are the preferred scapegoating targets in the modern West.

Mike OMalley on October 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Too bad they were using blanks in “JOE”

nimrod on October 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM

It’s quite simple -they embrace evil. The pope-his Church and his God, openly oppose evil(because it is the oppposite of goodness and true sacrificial love) Much of what she boldly says out loud, one can hear being said in the “not too subtle” code spewed venomously from many on the fiscal and libertarian right as they snarl their comments at the “social conservatives” on a regular basis.

Don L on October 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM