New line: Occupy Wall Streeters all about “enforcing diversity”

posted at 2:45 pm on October 18, 2011 by Tina Korbe

These Occupy Wall Streeters really don’t know what they want. That’s been the criticism from Day One — but, recently, their message seemed to be a pretty clearly-intoned redistributive one. That’s still true as far as it goes — but, for some protesters, it’s just not enough.

According to a cache of e-mails released Monday (what some are dubbing “OccuList”), at least a few prominent organizers want to push identity politics along with (or at the expense of?) the group’s purported main message. The movement in New York City has even adopted its own little affirmative action system. The Daily Caller reports:

In New York City, protesters’ daily “General Assembly” meetings allow “marginalized voices” to skip past a line of other waiting speakers, organizer Jesse Myerson told The Daily Caller. When the attendees gather, those “marginalized voices are able to jump the stack (that is, if there are 10 men slated to speak and a woman wishes to join the queue, she is granted a position toward the front of the line, for example),” he wrote to TheDC. …

“Diversity advocates” within the movement have also formed a “people of color” subcommittee to brainstorm ways to ensure that the popular image that emerges of the protesters is a diverse one. (Never mind that, with spokesmen like Edward T. Hall III, the image of the protesters was already quite colorful.) Check out the oh-so-creative ideas of one such diversity advocate, Shaista Husain:

On Oct. 7 Husain railed against a promotional poster showing a powerful, tall woman striding across New York City. “Can you put some dreadlocks on her, does every female the represents this movement have to be visibly white?” she demanded. “PERHAPS and now im [sic] begging you comrades, its so real it f***ing hurts, can we get some people of color visibility.. AT LEAST ONE poster that reflects this? I bet you it will be so celebrated!!! Perhaps an indigenous woman? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE> [sic] folks.. Thanks!!!”

Setting aside Husain’s evident eloquence and precise punctuation, can we celebrate the originality of her thinking for a second? Dreadlocks? An indigenous woman? Those aren’t stock images at all.

Funny — just when I thought I couldn’t disagree with the premise of the protests any more, I find I can. To me, identity politics are the very antithesis of equality before the law — an equality that properly is based in the personalistic norm, the idea that a person is a person is a person, that a person must never be used as a means to an end. How is it not use to slap stereotypical images over a protest movement to make the protest appear to be something it’s not?

Some of the OWS protesters see that and have fought to retain control of the group’s messaging.

One organizer who calls herself “Mae” scorned the group’s insistence on enforced diversity and group representation. “I am a nonwhite person (Puerto Rican) who never fills out surveys that ask me to specify my ethnicity,” she wrote on Oct. 8. “There are people in the world who could give a crap abt reporting their race/ethnicity, or who deem it something to pay attention to. I am here to make a change for everyone.”

I choked a bit when I read “give a crap” — with these protesters, I can’t help but take that literally – but, otherwise, well said, Mae. I disagree with the change you’re trying to make, but at least you’re not into discriminating (excuse me, “enforcing diversity”).

Comments

New line: Occupy Wall Streeters all about “enforcing diversity”

Akzed on October 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I bet you it will be so celebrated!!! Perhaps an indigenous woman?

Should they raise Pocahontas from the dead to buy back Manhattan for $24?

Steve Z on October 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM

While waiting the a doctor’s office, I read the latest TIME. They seem to enjoy that OWS has higher favorability numbers than the Tea Party, but, of course, the OWS haven’t had weeks of 24/7 onslaught by the MSM calling them every possible ad hominem possible.
Also noticed that Joe Klein brings up the “new” Silent Majority, who just want everybody to just get along (and agree with the Democrats).

J_Crater on October 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I agree. There just aren’t enough people of color out there with the OWS crowd…

That just means that OWS fits right in with the Plantation Party (Democrats)…

Khun Joe on October 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM

PERHAPS and now im [sic] begging you comrades,

I notice you missed this little detail.

faraway on October 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Oh hell. If they are starting to think about sex they are gonna start to reproduce. Then we’re screwed.

MikeA on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

These Occupy Wall Streeters really don’t know what they want …

More stinkbait fake willful ignorance for Hot Airheads.

It’s hard for the conservative mind to wrap its head around any kind of amorphous, creative political phenomenon. It obviously makes you almost hysterical.

But you know what the OWSers want, and you dare not articulate that because it would force you to confront your own sinful heart.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

These Occupy Wall Streeters really don’t know what they want …

They just magically appeared in 140 cities and are camping out for no reason? really?

faraway on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

If some one was creative…they would have an “indigenous” women, a black women, a mexican women, maybe a couple dressed differently, and of course an indigenous man, black man, etc….
They could rent them out, have some canned speeches, megaphone, etc. You could probably make a few bucks, say a public appearance, kind of a “protest in a can”, just pop it open and you have some hate speeches, white man is the enemy speeches, “there is no such thing as someone illegal” speeches, “you stole our land” speeches…I think it’s a gold mine…www.hatespeech.com….

right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Can we have more black women pooping on police cars, please?

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM

MLK rolling in the grave

Content of character thrown out the door for the color of ones skin

cmsinaz on October 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM

The jump the stack says it all.

No need to do what everyone else does, get in line and wait your turn to speak. Don’t worry about living by the same rules as others there you people of color or females. Sit back and relax and then jump to the front because you have been historically oppressed. We do not expect you to have to suffer through the inequality of standing in line like everyone else. Its all about treating all the same, fairness or something. Except you.

AndrewsDad on October 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Do we know what they want? They don’t even know what they want. :/

Black Yoshi on October 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Freed American hikers speak to Occupy Oakland on Monday night

They’re rock stars! lol!

Blake on October 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Just what OWS needs: its own version of Maxine Waters and the Congressional Black Caucus.

Haven’t heard from her since Obama told her to “Quit complaining, and start marching.” OWS only has the second part figured out.

VastRightWingConspirator on October 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Its all about treating all the same, fairness or something. Except you.

AndrewsDad on October 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Good catch.

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Shaista Husain is the one who declared that “Christopher Columbus was the first ZIONIST.”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

What about Patricia “kick the Jews out of the country” McAllister? She’s black. She might even have a dread lock or two.

Blake on October 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Diveristy Czar. Every good movement needs one! Morons…all of them!

milwife88 on October 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

They do need more diversity. Where are the intelligent people at?

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

mudskipper on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Good link, thanks…

right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

OWS: Throwing out memes until one finally polls well.

BuckeyeSam on October 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM

To all you independent voters, this is the face of the modern Democrat Party.

Cicero43 on October 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on October 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Actually, we haven’t heard a peep from Maxine since she came out the day after Obama’s speech and did, in fact, complain that he’d never talk to gays, Hispanics, or Jews in the manner that he spoke to blacks.

After that got a lot of air time on newscasts, she seems to have taken up residence with Jeremiah Wright.

BuckeyeSam on October 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM

right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Probably even form a corporation and if things really take off, go public,..offer public shares on the big board.:)

a capella on October 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Right. Like the Tea Party for example. I am almost hysterical.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

After having watched video after video of them presenting their themes, the only conclusion to which I can arrive is that they generally want more stuff and for someone else to pay for it. Greed, envy, and sloth are indeed Cardinal Sins, but they are not mine.

stvnscott on October 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Winter can’t come soon enough…

JohnGalt23 on October 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Yes. More of the “Progressive Stack” .. pushing diversity in front of the cameras.

J_Crater on October 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Really Tina? Because I was waiting for you to get to the passive – aggressive point of your post LOL!

I don’t agree with identity politics, but I am not some rich self indulgent white kid, who has been conditioned to feel guilty for being white.

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

To see who someone really is, shouldn’t we look past race and gender and culture and national origin, which are beyond one’s control? Thinking these things are important, to me that’s bigotry.

Paul-Cincy on October 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

“Perhaps an indigenous woman? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE>”

What the fu#@! does that mean?

Some fourth generation Sioux or something? What does that have to do with Wall Street? The “indigenous” folks are getting rich of casinos! They have no time to join a group of fleabaggers!

Opposite Day on October 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Hey, can you watch my stuff while I go cut in line? Cool, thanks!

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

“Look at me! Look at me!! Protest! Protest!!! Gimme! Gimmie!!! Diversity! Diversity!!”

Yyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn…!

… What’s on the other channel. (click)

Seven Percent Solution on October 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

What is it with using “Indiginous” now? Is “Native American” a dirty phrase like “Indian”?

Good God, but I can’t keep up with the PC Police.

crazy_legs on October 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM

“Now we see the violence recism inherent in the system!”

JohnTant on October 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Setting aside Husain’s evident eloquence and precise punctuation

She makes as much sense as any other race fetishist.

What is so amus….ok….one of the things about this that is so amusing is the desperation she displays. PLEASE can we make this thing look totally diverse?

This coming from people who sneer at Tea Parties as racist and deride any display of a minority person as a minstrel show.

Many of the photos from Occupy protests are as monochromatic as Chris Matthews’ and the NY Times Editorial Board – and the ones obsessed with skin color are the ones who accuse everybody else of racism.

This exemplifies so wonderfully how schools need to spend more time teaching actual history and actual economics and less time teaching self-esteem (you get true self-esteem from earning it) and trying to teach diversity.

RDuke on October 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM

There’s some hysterics going on in this thread (and others), that’s for sure. You can stop anytime you like, however.

Wow, you are an idiot.

Midas on October 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Hey, can you watch my stuff while I go cut in line? Cool, thanks!

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

LOL

*yoink*

Midas on October 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM

There are a few OWSers who know exactly what they want and they are the ones weaseling themselves into positions of “leadership”. They want Lenin’s Soviet system transplanted into the USofA.

Ace ODale on October 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Only the hippies that have received coaching are going to the front of the line.

faraway on October 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Visibly white?

Is there any other kind?

BobMbx on October 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM

MIC CHECK! (MIC CHECK!) I know I was just up here (I know I was just up here) and sorry for cutting in line again (and sorry for cutting in line again) but I just want to say (but I just want to say) to whoever keeps stealing my stuff every time I come up here (to whoever keeps stealing my stuff every time I come up here) to stop it, because it’s really not fair (to stop it, because it’s really not fair), and also (and also), nobody better take my camping space (nobody better take my camping space) while I’m up here (while I’m up here) because I was there first (because I was there first).

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Why don’t you articulate it so that we can go hide in shame.

BobMbx on October 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

This is like idiots on parade.

To them, equality is discrimination. Let’s not treat everyone equally and judge them by their merits and actions, let’s segregate everyone into neat little subcategories according to ethnicity and gender.

darwin on October 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM

How’s this for diversity?

Seattle man arrested for exposing himself to children at #OWS rally.

astuddis on October 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM

More stinkbait fake willful ignorance for Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Utter chaos, communism, punishment for whitey, means for satiating their self-hate … a clue?

I’m absolutely not hysterical, and honestly, we know exactly what they want. They gave us a list of all their occu-pie-in-the-sky demands.

I also want World Peace, a harem of Playmates, an injection of musical genius, and larger wang, … what else? All of that is just as reasonable as some of their wishes.

On a more realistic note, the TP has no big dreams for the government or for what they want their neighbors to do. I want the government to do as little as possible outside of defending us from foreign enemies, criminals, and people who are out to defraud my business or myself.

Those are so very basic and bedrock. Want to see some people lose it? Just ask for a return to the essentials outlined in the constitution and say hello to some real hysteria.

preallocated on October 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Time for a bake sale!

HakerA on October 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Perhaps an indigenous woman?

Indigenous to where? Atlanta? Boston? Chicago? Harlem? Or, perhaps, Beverly Hills?

Be more specific, Comrade.

BacaDog on October 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

They want more government to solve the problems that were created by government in the first place. They’re brainwashed buffoons.

darwin on October 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Celebrate Perversity!

Bevan on October 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Why don’t you articulate it so that we can go hide in shame.

BobMbx on October 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Or gloat and make fun, each according to the sinfullness of their nature.

Lily on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I think you presume too much. So far, what I’ve heard the wants include free college education, working wages, unlimited access to private facilities (restrooms, parks, wi-fi, etc.), an expectation of continued corporate sponsorship of protest events (food appearing from nowhere) and, oh yeah, stick it to the corporations and lower the cost of living, while you’re at it; and some sort of vague, (but surely harmonious) blend of increased anarchy-laden federal regulation to accomplish previously-stated goals…

So, forgive me for not being able to quite reconcile all those concepts into a coherent, workable package.

Quit beating around the bush; if you have a point, then make it…don’t allude to some sort of message we’re all supposed to know, but are, for some reason, scared to acknowledge. If there’s an elephant in the room, he should be pretty easy to identify, so why don’t you articulate the clear and powerful message of OWS and force us to confront it?

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I dont understand how this nation has turned from a nation of Do’ers to a nation of give me. All I can think is its the parents fault. I was raised to work and be self-sufficient. That is the mission in life. So to the OWS crowd I say
Your mission in life is to be SELFSUPPORTING.
STFU and accomplish the mission.
That is all, Carry on.

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

So far, what I’ve heard the wants include free college education, working wages, unlimited access to private facilities (restrooms, parks, wi-fi, etc.), an expectation of continued corporate sponsorship of protest events (food appearing from nowhere BlueCollarAstronaut on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I think you forgot baby wipes on that list. According to the Stern interview, baby wipes are on the top their list ;)

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

The point is to derail OWS threads, pure and simple.

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

It’s nebulous, BlueCollar. It can’t be articulated, it must be felt, sensed, imagined. It is what you wish it to be.

That clear it up for you?

BacaDog on October 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM

You won’t get an answer.He/she/it has no balls.

docflash on October 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

This is getting interesting. Here come the Islamists!

sonnyspats1 on October 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Don’t forget the story saying they want all the arrested protesters freed without charges… because attacking police officers, and violence and breaking the laws should be legal… if you’re the correct people.

Only your “sinful heart” is causing you to think that violent criminal activity should be punished… you should embrace violent criminals walking free without punishment… or something.

I’ll admit I still don’t get the whole concept. Maybe because it’s “amorphous” but more likely because it’s idiotic.

gekkobear on October 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Somebody buy bifiddles a new puppy.

On second thought, don’t.

CurtZHP on October 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Evidently the observations by dozens of mocking conservatives that OWS was a white-middle-and-upper-class-hippie-Marxist day camp has hurt their widdow feewings. Pathetic stories like the girl from Vassar who had her $5,500 iMac stolen should help.

Jaibones on October 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I for one, would love to see these protests being taken over by violent homeless criminals who have a standoff with the Lefty suburban college kids “I thought you cared about the poor, you’re just a phony, so now I’m gonna cut you”. Maybe they’ll burn down Zucotti park, and Bloomberg will get 3rd degree burns on his tushie.

ardenenoch on October 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Hot Air, as you show, is merely appealing to its readers’ basest instincts rather than furthering civic discourse in a responsible way.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

More stinkbait fake willful ignorance for Hot Airheads.

Ampersand on October 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Why don’t you articulate it so that we can go hide in shame.

BobMbx on October 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

yes, by all means, please do enlighten us.

JusDreamin on October 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Why can’t you teabagging rednecks engage in civil discourse and respect these OWS patriots? They are very rational and sane. While I will not articulate what they want, their issues are clear to everyone who isn’t a hateful Nazi!!!

RACISTS!!!

Ampersand on October 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Occupy Wall Streeters all about “enforcing diversity”

…they really mean “enforcing GROUPTHINK“!!!

landlines on October 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

A phenomenon can only hope to be so creative and amorphous before it fails to be effectively political.

The struggle you so uncharitably characterize as head-wrapping-around is more properly called striving for comprehension. I’d like to understand them well enough to take them seriously but they’re making it really difficult.

DrSteve on October 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I wonder id bifidis has even been to an Occupy protest. I have. Maybe they had some intelligent arguments that would have confronted my sinful heart…

Maybe. Or maybe the guy showing everyone his uncircumcised penis was just a nutter.

Ampersand on October 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

…identity politics are the very antithesis of equality before the law..

Bingo. The cure for racism, sexism, homophobia-ism and whatever-else-ism is… INDIVIDUALISM.

Or, as MLK put it, “the content of his character, not the color of his skin.”

These Occupy Wall Streeters really don’t know what they want.

No, they want a free lunch. But they don’t know what they’re against or how to ‘fix’ it. They’re just malcontents, useful idiots, willing prey for the commies, revolutionary socialists, anarchists, unions and Soros organizers.

petefrt on October 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Says someone who most likely refuses to accept a common definition of sin, or responsibility for it in his own life.

No, we don’t know what they want because THEY don’t know what they want. Claiming that you want “to end the Fed” isn’t a working premise for anything useful. Claiming that you want “to burn down Wall Street” wouldn’t stop a single corporation from functioning as it does today. Beyond those “amorphous” concepts, there is no consistent overriding group goal there. Believing that they are “how democracy works” is simply laughable, because the mob is exactly NOT how democracy works. The only other thing I can surmise that these squatters want is for someone else to take responsibility for their troubles. That’s a perfectly good expectation to have, if you’re a one-year-old with a full diaper. Not so much if you’re a twenty-something with a full diaper. (And I guaranteed you some of them have taken to wearing diapers rather than worry about finding an open restroom at night)

Now, tell me what sin in my heart is exposed by the OWS movement. I’ll wait.

Freelancer on October 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM

i would totally support bloomberg asking gov.cuomo to send in the national guard to force integration of minorities into the occupywallstreet collective. the sea of pasty white furry faces is oppressive and racist-government needs to apply the social justices to their revolution because only government can make equality happen.

de-evolve patrick in MA too- call out the national guard to level the protesting field and dilute the whiter shade of pale that is #OWS.

mittens on October 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I agree with Tina on substance, but her sentence is so annoyingly stilted. Really, if we are to defeat the left we better analysis than this packaged spew.

thuja on October 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

What a load of bull… Did your mommy reject you or something?

RalphyBoy on October 19, 2011 at 2:33 AM

How’s this for diversity?

Seattle man arrested for exposing himself to children at #OWS rally.

astuddis on October 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Nope, that’s not gonna cut it.

Diversity would require that it be a group of disparate people.
You need to come up with some examples of normal people amongst this gathering of freaks.

Good luck with that!

VelvetElvis on October 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM

What a load of bull… Did your mommy reject you or something?

RalphyBoy on October 19, 2011 at 2:33 AM