Herman Cain: Sure, I can see myself releasing everyone at Gitmo in exchange for one U.S. POW; Update: I misspoke, says Cain

posted at 7:10 pm on October 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler and Guy Benson, if this answer doesn’t destroy him, nothing will. I get the sense watching it that he’s so unsure of how to answer this exceedingly easy question that he defaults to Netanyahu’s position on the assumption that prisoner swaps must always be the wise, statesmanlike, conservative thing to do. The alternative, that he knows what he’s talking about yet is still sincerely inclined to release the guy who planned 9/11 plus dozens upon dozens of other jihadi fanatics in exchange for one G.I., is even worse. I’d bet 95 percent of people asked on the street could answer this correctly, yet somehow our frontrunner not only blows it but feels obliged to hedge weakly by noting that he’d need all the facts to make a proper decision. Here’s a fact: Khaled Sheikh Mohammed blew up the World Trade Center. What other facts do you need?

And to think, I thought this would be his worst foreign-policy answer of the week:

Halfway through the question about the electric fence, Cain butted in with “it was a joke!”

“Let me first say it was a joke, and some people don’t think that it was a good joke, and it’s probably not a joke that you’re supposed to make if you’re a presidential candidate,” Cain continued. “I apologize if it offended anyone. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa.”

Only, it might not be a joke, he later said, before finally saying he just doesn’t want to offend anyone.

“I don’t like to offend anyone…however, I don’t apologize for using a combination of a fence. And it might be electrified — I’m not walking away from that,” Cain backtracked. “I just don’t want to offend anybody. It was a joke to the extent in the context of the views of that speech, but in terms of what we need to do, I fully intend to do so because I’m more sensitive to our citizens being hurt.”

Ace flags a few other giant gaps in Cain’s foreign-policy knowledge and asks, “Has ‘homework’ and ‘thinking things through, in advance’ become ‘un-conservative’ over the past year?” When I hear him give answers like the one he gives below about Gitmo, it makes me wonder why he wants to be president in the first place. If you’re this disengaged from one of the executive’s core duties, why would you want those duties at all? It’d be like me trying to get hired at an accounting firm because I think I can “make a difference” even though I know zip zero zilch about accounting. Normally I hate pop-quiz foreign policy questions that candidates get like “Who’s the prime minister of Nigeria?”, but after all these gaffes I’m thinking the media’s well within its rights at this point to test Cain on basic stuff. And I don’t mean who the president of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan is. I mean stuff like, “Is Iran a Sunni or Shiite country, and why does that matter?” Anyone who’s read the news intermittently over the past 10 years should be able to offer a basic answer to that one. I’d be curious to hear Cain’s.

This isn’t his only new problem, either. A study by the Tax Policy Center that’s out tonight claims his 9-9-9 plan would raise taxes on 84 percent of U.S. households. If you don’t trust their analysis, try Ramesh Ponnuru’s skeptical take on Cain’s plan in Bloomberg today or Grover Norquist’s misgivings about it when talking to ABC yesterday. In fact, Stephen Moore, who helped Cain devise the plan, has already started to walk back part of it, saying that the sales tax aspect should be dropped in favor of a nine-percent payroll tax instead. Exit question: Have we seen Cain’s high-water mark now come and go?

Update: I didn’t see it happen live, but Guy Benson tells me that Cain was interviewed again by Blitzer shortly after the debate and said he “misspoke” in his Gitmo answer. We’ll have to wait for the clip tomorrow for his full response.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ok she looks like julie the cruise director

cmsinaz on October 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM

And again, if we want to use Allah’s words, Cain is hedging.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM

But I think I’m more in agreement with AP here. Of all the things that Cain has hedged on, this probably should not be one of them. Not if he wants to secure the nomination, any way. He missed the low-hanging fruit.

gryphon202 on October 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM

go perry!

energy!!!

cmsinaz on October 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM

big gov’t is reporting that the LAUISD fired that OWS teacher that worked for them after her anti-semitic remarks….

heh

ted c on October 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Cripes! just when I was coming around to Cain…he says something so abysmal…he would negotiate with terrorists.

I give up.

JetBoy on October 18, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Stick with pizza buddy. Had Obama not so lowered the bar an African American candidate would have to be competent and process some gravitas. Remember that? Mr. Cain is not and does not. Sorry but let’s be honest.

Mason on October 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Everyone is a flawed candidate so it is time to pick your poison.

I’m still with Cain then Perry then Mitt.

Keep in mind the root of our problem is that the media destroyed Palin which also made MANY shy away from running. Obamam is a product of the media. The media is the root of our problem.

GardenGnome on October 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Check out that photo of Mitt and Cain on the front page of CNN.com. No bias there.

fiatboomer on October 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM

During the town hall, West was asked about Herman Cain‘s 9-9-9 tax plan, which calls for 9 percent corporate and individual income tax rates and a new 9 percent national sales tax. West said he’s concerned about taxing both income and consumption at the same time and worried that future Congresses could ratchet up the rates.

“In Washington, D.C., today it can be 9-9-9. In a couple of years it can be 15-15-15,” West said.

Doesn’t look like West is buying into 9-9-9.

capitalist piglet on October 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I finally watched the tape.

“I could see myself authorizing that kind of transfer”

Not really any wiggle room there. There is some hypothetical American Cain would put the country at greater risk for.

astonerii on October 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Are you kidding me???

stacman on October 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I’m a Cain supporter and I really didn’t like that his answer did not include “we do not negotiate with terrorists.” That, in my opinion, is the gaffe part.

However, I did not think it was nearly as bad as the post or the headline indicates due to the context of the discussion. If he had extemporaneously said he would make the swap than I would agree. If he had hesitated for a moment and then added “but…” I would probably also agree. But, he was answering a pointed question and already transitioning into the “but” before the “yes I could” even finished coming out of his mouth. My beef is that the “but” wasn’t “but we don’t negotiate with terrorists so I find it extremely unlikely.”

CrankyTRex on October 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Doesn’t look like West is buying into 9-9-9.

capitalist piglet on October 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM

West is also one of those I would have liked to see run who is not. Wake me up when an actual presidential candidate advocates for an alternative to 9-9-9.

gryphon202 on October 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

@ capitalist piglet on October 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Good lord piglet, how off the mark can you be . lets do a by the numbers
1. The question of” Right of Return” was ambiguous at best.
2. Separation of Church and state is NOT in the constitution it’s in the federalist papers.
3. Your going to have to prove that one, that’s a new one.
4. The term neo-con is a catch phrase that is VERY VERY WIDE.
5. Did he say the fence would Kill people exaggeration at best. Farms have electrical fences they don’t kill people.
6. I will give you that one , he shouldn’t have stepped away from his answer
7. Ditto
8. Link that again that’s a new one.
9. Depending on who he is referring to he is correct.
10. Your opinion
11. Prove that with a link. A BLOG wont work has to be an economist.
12. He said he could make the decision based on all the data/intel.
13. Why should he have to reveal his advisers?
14. Where else was he supposed to buy his books from .
15. He didn’t through the race card.
I See you are using that alinsky rules for radicals Specifically # 5
5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.”
So if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it’s a duck.

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I might releasing the Gitmo terrorists. Did anyone specify that they’d have to be alive?

Incidentally, since we’re talking about never negotiating with terrorists, what did we have to give Iran to release those two “hikers” btw? I got a little lost at the end of that story.

DrAllecon on October 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I like Cain’s instincts. It means something that we never write off our POWs and MIAs. A thousand islamic creeps aren’t worth one American life. This should go over well with the military, and with the Vietnam generation who remember the unforgivable treatment our soldiers got then. The bad guys can be hunted down again, but our heroes are irreplaceable.

joe_doufu on October 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

The whole field sucks eggs. I usually don’t get this depressed this far out from the primaries, but here we are. I’m not about to defend the indefensible.

Each of the candidates has shortcomings but Romney, Newt and Perry are each a 500% improvement over Obama. So what sucks is your comment, gryph.

Basilsbest on October 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I finally watched the tape.

“I could see myself authorizing that kind of transfer”

It’s really as simple as that. I mean, if Blitzer had asked him, “Would you ever consider raising income taxes to 50 percent?” and Cain had said, “I can see myself doing that but I’d need all the facts,” would people be cool with that? He wouldn’t be committing to it — but he’d be leaving the door open. Again, if Romney said something like that, we’d all be having panic attacks.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Basilsbest on October 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM

To say that Romney Newt or Perry are a 500% improvement over Obama is insulting to Romney Newt and Perry. The field sucks, and whatever percentage of improvement they are over the worst president in the history of our republic doesn’t matter one wit to me.

YMMV.

gryphon202 on October 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Well – I’ll say this …

If there is a “hypothetical” American that Cain would release 100 Terrorists to get back …

Then ANYTHING Herman Cain advocates for is up for grabs.

If you can rationalize the release of terrorists – you can rationalize not repealing ObamaCare.

You can rationalize not cutting government spending.

If you can negotiate with a terrorist – you can damn sure negotiate with at Democrat.

Herman Cain’s response should have been …

“There is absolutely NO WAY I’d negotiate with a terrorist and there is absolutely NO soldier currently serving who would respect me as a Commander in Chief if I did that.”

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Doesn’t look like West is buying into 9-9-9.

capitalist piglet on October 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I’ve heard this many times. The question is, when our taxes go up under our current system, how easy is it to tell? If you just had three plain numbers to go by, EVERYONE would know when they went up. If nothing else, it accomplishes transparency.

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM

What are the logistics of a prisoner swap at Gitmo? You couldn’t walk them out and exchange them, like in the movie Salt.

It’s either via air or sea. Has the light gone on for you armchair snipers yet?

We own both of those. Our guy is in our custody before their guys are in their custody. See the light now?

I’ll make it simple – the only way they get free is when they see the green green grass of home.

platypus on October 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Not ready for prime time, and won’t stand the test.

I tuned in for 45 seconds of tonight’s debate, in which the Pubs continued to ravage each other. Perry in particular looked like a fool. He’s finished. Not a good scene.

paul1149 on October 18, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

The dude has been established as a novice on foreign policy. On economic matters, I’d never see him taking your scenario and saying he would support it.

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 8:46 PM

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Negative Ghostrider – you didn’t really fall for that magical trick that there only THREE numbers did you?

LOL.

Dude – look up “Fair Tax PREBATE”. Not everyone will pay the same rate of tax bro – some people get a refund – and politicians can pander to constituents by raising and lowering the income threashold for that.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Need it be said again? If you can negotiate with terrorists to release GITMO prisoners – you can negotiate with Democrats to raise taxes or whatever.

This comment was Cain’s “ugliest girl in the bar” comment. Meaning – if he’ll take this ugly girl home – he’ll take any other in the bar home that slightly better looking.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

capitalist piglet on October 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Thanks for your comments. Food for thought.

AshleyTKing on October 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Let me pose a Hypothetical.
You have in GITMO a bad guy thats been turned. He was known to hang out with TOP A Q people and will could lead the USA to other top leaders and the Cia OWNS him.
There is a soldier that is taken hostage and they (AQ) demand that X amount of prisoners be released and this prisoner is on the list. Now do you take the deal?
Things like this are always in play. In WWII the military had to make decisions as to tip their hand that codes such as ULTRA or purple were broken. They sent men on missions that they knew would fail. If they called off the missions then the enemy would have known that their codes were compromised and MORE people would be killed.
To me it was a trick question to set up this kind of “problem”. Again cain said he would gather all the intel/data.

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Perfect answer when you see his entire answer

Sorry liberal Allahpundit.

Hey how about you tell everyone who you are so we know you are not Michelle Obama

LeeSeneca on October 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Domestic policy simply doesn’t have the same stakes as foreign policy, which makes this so-called gaffe either better or worse depending on your perspective. If Cain gets something like this wrong because he says he would never, ever consider an option he would otherwise have as president, well then he’s a fool for limiting his options. Even if in 99.9 999% of the time that decision would be a bad one.

You only get to make these decisions once. You can always alter domestic policies.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Blitzer didn’t ask him about X amount of prisoners. He said all of them. And no, there’s simply no way any president would open the gates of Gitmo in the expectation that some double agent would lead them to Al Qaeda’s leadership. Even if that happened, you’d still have hundreds of killers on the loose.

I can’t believe, after we’ve spent months screaming about gunwalking by Obama, people are now kinda sorta endorsing terrorist-walking because it might get Cain off the hook for this answer.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

The basic difference …

The CINC can do all kinds of things with military servicemembers – we are kind of sworn “bullet catchers” if you will. American civilians – not so much.

So there is a LOT of leeway in what a CINC can do with a military member’s services and demanded sacrifices – because he’s got the greater concern of protecting civilians.

IF – Hypothetically, a President released 100 terrorists – those terrorists aren’t a threat to military servicemembers – terrorist, by definition – target civilians including women and children.

So Cain is saying that he’d release 100 terrorists in return for one American – and there is an untold number of American deaths that will be caused by those 100 released terrorists.

If one of them hung out with the top AQ would I still do it? Nope.

We already took out the top AQ and guess what – we are still fighting the war on terror.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM

So there’s the new standard. Not only is a firm answer, even to an easy question like this one, not necessary, it’s actually irresponsible not to keep all of your options open because then you’re limiting your options. Entertaining the notion of letting everyone in Gitmo go free is actually a sign of mature leadership. “Would you ever consider nuking a city just for the fun of it?” “I’d need all the facts.”

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I appreciate your dogged defense of your guy here, BK — sincerely — but let me gently suggest that if it wasn’t your guy who said this, your feelings about it would be dramatically different.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Remember when we criticized Obama for saying, during the campaign – that he’d go into Pakistan unilaterally to kill AQ if had actionable intel?

Oh my – he was called every name in the book for threatening our greatest ally in the war on terror!

Nevermind that he eventually vindicated himself by doing actually that and killing UBL …

But here we have Cain saying he’s willing to release the GITMO prisoners – and just deal with untold numbers of American deaths … “depending on the circumstances” … and the Cainlusionals rationalize this statement as if it were nothing!

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Well some times you have to make TOUGH calls, and ones that turn out badly, On the face of it I agree NO NEGOTIATIONS at all with terrorists. BUT if there comes a chance where you can BREAK the back of AQ. What was it Ronald Reagan said? NEVER say Never.
That is all I am saying and I think thats what cain was saying too.
Again I am curious as to why Israel released those 1000. But we will never know. Perhaps it was a good deal for them.

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I like the idea of someone who would like to weigh all the facts in ALL cases before making a decision. That just sounds… reasonable. It may be banal and silly in this context, but it seems to be the way he looks at things – to wait for all the facts before making a judgment. Is that bad?

No, it’s wonderful in practice, but here it’s a rhetorical dodge. Do you really think the other candidates wouldn’t look at all the facts before making key decisions? Do you think President Romney or President Perry would cancel all briefings and just wing it on everything? It’s a given that they’d look at all the facts. The reason Cain keeps saying that, I suspect, is precisely because he’s unsure of how to answer and wants to leave himself wiggle room later. It makes him sound diligent and conscientious, which is good, but not in the context of an insane decision to empty the cells at Gitmo. Again, I ask you to consider how you’d react if Obama (or even Romney) gave this same answer. Qualifying it with “I need all the facts” wouldn’t save them, I suspect.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Fair enough. In Cain’s case I give him a little more leeway because he’s not a professional politician that knows how to talk out of the side of his mouth. He’s going to make mistakes with being too candid or not enough.

I doubt that he would empty Gitmo, but rather than give a 10 minute useless answer he goes to the stock “I’d have to weigh the facts”. Plus, he probably doesn’t want to be held to something that might come back to bite him. There might come a time where letting out *A* prisoner might be necessary. We don’t know.

Actually, I wouldn’t be upset if either Obama or Romney or any of them said the same as Cain. I understand the need not to be hemmed in by making promises that might not be kept. We aren’t privy to all the information. Look how Obama’s had to backtrack on a lot of his campaign issues – Gitmo, Iraq, Afghanistan. That’s what happens when you find out the whole story. I could see ALL the candidates giving nonanswers.

Does anyone actually believe any of the GOP candidates would be silly enough to actually do it? I see it more of Cain’s inexperience in bafflegabbing rather than a defect in character.

kim roy on October 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Some people just approach politics differently. Once they invest in a candidate, there’s no lengths to which they won’t go to defend them. Doesn’t matter how badly they screw up. I honestly don’t get it.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM

The President of the United States is not a position to be taken lightly. The only thing easy in this analysis is to claim that there is an easy answer. One GI for everyone in Gitmo? Yeah, 99.999% of the time the easy answer is no.

But I don’t care who the President is. Even if I loathe them like I do Obama, if Obama answered this question (a question he would *never* receive, and you know it) I’d cut him the same slack. As much as I distrust him, personally, as a flawed, terrible, tyrannical, petulant child of a human being, he is still the President of the United States.

It’s not a new standard for me anyway.

I bet back on May 1st there were people who thought killing Bin Laden was the easy choice to make as well. But in the long run, what does a policy of kill terrorists before attempting to capture intel because your base will hang you if you don’t give them civil trials when you do capture them do for the United States?

I suppose Blitzer’s specific scenario is damning, but Cain was most likely answering with his general principles in mind. This may be the first time in political history paying attention to what Wolf Blitzer says is important.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM

But that’s my whole point. It’s so silly that no one should even entertain it hypothetically. In fact, if Cain had said that to Blitzer as an answer to his question, it would have been perfect and hilarious.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Cain, a while ago, said he had no strategy for Afghanistan. The guy is a foreign policy noob. No one really argues that. This statement displays the same kind of uninformed naivete as his first statement. If his lack of a plan for Afghanistan could be excused as the coyness of a not ready for prime time player, why can’t this be treated the same way?

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Because even a noob should be able to answer this. You would answer this question perfectly well without batting an eye, MadCon. I have no doubt. Why can’t a guy running for president be held to the same standard as a reasonably well informed blog commenter?

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Becausing he’s asking for the key’s to the Nuclear Football?

sharrukin on October 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM

If this were the SCoaMF, Allahpundit would be falling all over himself massaging,minimizing and helpfully enabling the media/hive meme that “in all fairness” this response was really not faulty and might even help the “champ” in the long run.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM

First!

Stupid thing to say, Cain is about done and I’m about done with him.

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM

The message is one Jew is worth more than 1000 Palestinians…that will sting. The Palestinians they released are not long for this world.

gracie on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I wish he would have said that, too, but the way the LSM and soundbites are, he’s probably terrified silly of saying anything. They all should be. You know this is all being archived for further use by the DNC.

I guess I don’t find this as damning because he’s not a professional politician and because I don’t believe that he would do it in any case. IMHO, it’s just more inexperience in BS arts.

That’s just me, though.

kim roy on October 18, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I suggest people watch ‘Cain’s actual answer, not just the first few words quoted.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

2nd look at Newt!

Of course there is always Lizard Man.

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Yeah. When Obama hints about releasing the guy who planned 9/11, it sets my heart a-flutter.

I’ll work extra hard to be less fair to him in the future, Dr. C. I know I can win you over yet.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Really? What are we missing? It’s a horrible answer.

changer1701 on October 18, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Me too. Doesn’t change a thing. Or maybe, since some of you guys are so impressed with boilerplate about needing all the facts, the other candidates should adopt that too. Romney: “I might very well defend ObamaCare’s individual mandate. But of course, I need all the facts.” No problem there, right?

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Except that’s not what Romney did. His answer was more along the lines of, “I did what’s right for Massachusetts and you’ll just have to trust that I’ll do what’s right for America.” How you go from that to “I still need all the facts” is a bit of a stretch.

gryphon202 on October 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I watched the answer. I like Cain, but the answer was pretty terrible. A deal-breaker for me? No, but man, he’d better remember that people like him because he isn’t a politician, so he’d better stop with the politician-based weasel-words. This is not a hedge-yer-bets question. It was a gotcha question, and Blitzer got him.

DrAllecon on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Listened to it again, bad answer. If PBHO had said it I would be having a WTF moment.

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I think he makes it clear that he can see himself in that “situation”. Then he states that BEFORE he would actually make a decision, he would need to have all the facts.

I don’t see him saying “I would do X”

Given the set-up… you say you support isreal…the israel swap… can you see yourself in that position

Put the statement in context …. listen to the whole answer … it’s not what some are making it out to be.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Perhaps Oliver North will answer my pleas and throw himself in the race, I’m running out of candidates.

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM

And yet from the very moment Palin confirmed she wasn’t running, this kind of answer was exactly what I feared from Herman Cain. Not all of the candidates are weak in the same ways, but overall I do think the field sucks.

gryphon202 on October 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM

If PBHO had said it I would be having a WTF moment.

Me too.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I don’t give a rat’s a$$ what some of you political science intellectuals have to say.

Mr. Cain has done things and made jobs. He is an entrepreneur. I like the guy. If the vote was today, he’s got mine. Nov 2012, I’ll vote for anyone, other than Obumba.

Dingbat63 on October 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Endgame:

Yes, the answer was terrible to a lot of people.

But having said it, and having in the debate acknowledged his error and clarified, what would Herman Cain actually do? Not negotiate with terrorists.

So no, it wasn’t a great moment. But it doesn’t speak to Herman Cain’s heart like Perry’s statements, since in the very answer he was very precise in his methodology.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM

And I think we can all agree that Obama would never be asked that question in the way it was asked of Cain.

Again… the answer wasn’t the “I would release.” The answer was “I can see myself faced with that situation, and here is how I would make my decision.”

I see people making an argument by omission. Put it in context and present the whole answer.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:48 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM

This.

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM

No – it speaks to Cain’s stupidity.

“ah ya sure – I could release some terrorists – I’ll just deal with all the American civilians they’ll kill later – no biggie”.

Perry’s heart can be changed. This kind of stupidity on the part of Cain isn’t fixable.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

He didn’t say that Honda. And you know it.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Sorry – but you can compare a dead cat to Obama – and the dead cat comes out ahead.

You can compare Cain with Obama – and Cain comes out ahead – but not any better than a dead cat does.

That’s the problem with you Cainlusionals – you’re comparing your guy to the worst President the nation has ever had and saying … “Hey look – he’s better than that guy!”.

Sorry – but that’s not a convincing argument for Cain.

And I’m also sorry – but releasing hundreds of terrorists from GITMO for any reason would result in the death of American civilians – countless lives lost.

But Cain says … “yeah I could do it!”

LOL

Presidential material? Not.

Go find a dead cat.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM

He didn’t say that Honda. And you know it.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM

He said he could release terrorists from GITMO – we all know those guys would go back to killing Americans – I have to think Cain knew that.

Ergo – he’s willing to deal with that outcome.

Which I think is pretty sick actually.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

No – it speaks to Cain’s stupidity.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

For someone who likes to use the phrase “Cainlusionals,” you’re seriously going to suggest someone’s “heart” can change. Rick Perry already shifted from Democrat to Republican. Support for the rule of law didn’t carry over – he blames the federal government for his own support of benefits for illegals.

If you’re looking for stupid, I recommend a trip to the bathroom.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Honda,

First. Quit the ad hominem

Second, you are intentionally misrepresenting what he said.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM

If you’re looking for stupid, I recommend a trip to the bathroom.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

This thread isn’t about Perry – as much as you Cainlusionals would like it to be.

This thread, is about Cain admitting that he’d (a) negotiate with terrorists and (b) actually release terrorists.

This thread is about Cainlusionals – who would SCREW OBAMA TO A FENCE for saying these things – defending the comments coming out of Cain’s mouth.

That’s what THIS THREAD is about.

Perry thread is that way <-

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM

No Ergo when you intentionally misrepresent what he said.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Honda,

First. Quit the ad hominem

Second, you are intentionally misrepresenting what he said.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Did he not say he could release Gitmo prisoners in the hundreds?

Are not those guys terrorists?

Isn’t their occupation – KILLING Americans?

Please – misrepresentation? Nope – just drawing you a true picture of what Cain said today.

And it’s pretty horrific.

Most rational people on this blog agree too.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM

No Ergo when you intentionally misrepresent what he said.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I’m not misrepresenting what he said. He said under certain circumstances – he could release terrorists.

Terrorists KILL Americans – is that a news flash for you?

Releasing Terrorists and they go out and kill Americans.

But Cain is fine with this – under certain circumstances of course.

LOL

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM

If you’re looking for stupid, I recommend a trip to the bathroom.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Are you hiding in the toilet?

Please – if Obama had made these remarks you guys would have been screaming to high heavens.

But when Cain makes them “Oh, he’s such a thoughtful and open-minded guy!”

LOL

Why don’t you just admit that Cain made a fool of himself?

You can do it now – or do it tomorrow when he gaffes again – in any case – this isn’t going to be the last gaffe from Mr Niner.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Well there it is.

I concede.

I still posit that people here are misrepresenting what he actually said. They indeed are.

People have also argued by omission.

He ceded the point and so shall I.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Actually, Cain is on CNN in post-debate right now saying that if he were operating on the assumption of Blitzer’s he spoke in error. Mispoke. Spoke in error.

I know the Perry (and Romney, obv.) supporters will ignore this, even though its on the same day.

But this is why I’m still a “Cainlusional” Honda: Because if Herman Cain screws up, he tells you as soon as he learns of it. I imagine in your mind the Nuclear Football presents itself in a split second so every president must be prepared at every second to pull the lever, but that isn’t how it works in the real world.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I would also say directly to Honda.

You make good points often. Yet you destroy your own work when you resort to childish ad hominem.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Cain says, “I misspoke. I would not do that.”

IronDioPriest on October 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Are you hiding in the toilet?

But when Cain makes them “Oh, he’s such a thoughtful and open-minded guy!”

LOL

Why don’t you just admit that Cain made a fool of himself?

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

No, I was assuming like most people you had a mirror in your bathroom.

Another error on my part, I assure you I will not equate someone behaving as foully as you are with a normal person again.

I look forward to watching you in your quest to change Rick Perry’s heart. I’d tell you to e-verify it, but for obvious reasons that can’t be done.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I’d free them, but only if I had a tracking beacon installed inside of them so I can drop a Bunker Buster on them later to take them out with their friends.

jeffn21 on October 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Couple of things here – Cain now says his answer to Blitzer was incorrect – yet all the Cainlusionals have defended his comments as legitimate throughout this thread.

Who’s right? Is Cain right that he misspoke? Or are you guys right in saying that his comments were appropriate?

You cannot have it both ways.

Second – Blitzer gave Cain a “Think on your feet” test – and Cain failed it.

Now Cain is out there trying to get a “mulligan” a “do-over” …

Again – I’d just like for you Cainlusionals to tell me straight up – do you agree with Cain’s initial comments that it would be appropriate, under certain circumstances – to release all or even a “hundred” prisoners from GITMO.

Take a stand.

You’ve all been defending those remarks – why not adopt them as your own?

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Calm down, he hasn’t thrown open the door and set them all free…

kringeesmom on October 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I will NOT “calm down” when our soldiers’ very lives would be put in DANGER by this ignorant man.

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

He says he “mis-spoke”? “Mis-spoke”? Really? Dude! Next he’ll tell us he was only joking (and then change his mind again) or break into song.

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I could care less about Rick Perry’s heart – he’s out of this race for all intents and purposes.

Now we’re VETTING CAIN.

Enjoy.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Yes, Cain now says he misspoke.

Guess he wasn’t reading this thread – in which all the Cainlusionals were in complete adoration of his terrorist releasing comments.

Good job guys!

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM

You cannot have it both ways.

Second – Blitzer gave Cain a “Think on your feet” test – and Cain failed it.

Now Cain is out there trying to get a “mulligan” a “do-over” …

Take a stand.

You’ve all been defending those remarks – why not adopt them as your own?

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I’m pretty damn sure Honda I’ve said several times in this thread that the decision to release Gitmo prisoners for a US GI would be in error 99.999% of the time, but the President should reserve the right to make that call and not, while they are still a candidate, say they would limit such an option were there a scenario that would be necessary or advantageous.

I’ve been fairly consistent in this, you’ve just been rotten. That’s generally my experience with Perry supporters. Everyone but the man who blames the feds for his inability to not give benefits to illegals is a DANGER to the nation.

Perry is right. His base is heartless.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM

You make some good points.

I’d like to add that this is a very reactionary thread.

balkanmom on October 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Catching up on the thread, but THIS caught my eye, in the midst of all the hysteria, and high-fiveing of the Mitt and Perry-bots…

lovingmyUSA on October 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM

hmmm, I really cannot imagine how anyone could have misspoke that answer. I am really getting sick and tired of people lying to me to garner my vote.

One of the reasons I have such a high standard for every candidate before I will back them is because they all lie to me, which means I need them to be 100% pure just to have faith that they will be 50%+1 conservative.

I was really trying to like Cain, I was. He just never really got me though, and this is going to make it very hard to trust him.

Go Bachmann!

astonerii on October 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Honda

You’re shooting yourself in the foot. Quit the ad hominem and misrepresentation.

You win the point, act like an adult and use valid arguments.

There wasn’t any “complete adoration”, and you know it.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Maybe I would care what some posters say if I knew what they have ever done to contribute to society. They may be huge entrepreneurs or the may be living in their parent’s basement. Or they may be shills from the DNC. One never knows. So, absent that intel, I’ll judge for myself. Now, where is that Cain Train ticket booth?

Dingbat63 on October 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Democratic Party Lite in 2012!!!

Yeehaw!

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Perry is right. His base is heartless.

BKennedy on October 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I’m not a Perry supporter anymore – I’m on to Newt … LOL – I don’t know why, he just seems the logical alternative to Romney now that Perry is gone and Cain is blowing up.

Soo – this thread isn’t about Perry – though you’d like to make it so.

This thread is about some very destructive comments made by Cain – and it’s also about the delusion and lengths that his followers will go to in order to rationalize his bad statements.

THIS PROVES – that virtually nothing he can say would upset the Cainlusionals – they’ll overlook it – in every case.

Also – I’ll tell you that releasing terrorists is a terrible idea in 100 percent of the cases – no wishy washy 99.99% for me dude – it’s NEVER a good idea.

Cain should have known that.

Oh wait – but he did – cuz now he said he misspoke – or wait – did he say he was joking – but not really joking?

LOL

To Cainlusionals – a flexible spine is a sign of character!

You guys will do GREAT as Romney supporters next fall!

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Except If it were Obama,you would never have stated such a blunt conclusion as that.

Following a couple of pro forma and appreciated snarky remarks,you would have found a convoluted , forgiving, ‘even handed’ interpretation that ,while acknowledging a face value negative interpretation, was mostly dismissive of any seriously bad policy ,that it wasn’t too far out of the realm of some past foreign policy approach and that there wasn’t any serious bad political outcomes for such a statement.

Cain? He’s curtly hammered and he’s “finished”

You have to get out of Manhattan and it’s poisonous vapors which cloud the mind to give Dems the benefit of the doubt.
It’s your only hope!!
(I suggest Des Moines)

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Yes, Cain now says he misspoke.

Good job guys!

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I was quite specific that I didn’t like the answer, and I’m in Cain’s camp. I just don’t think it’s a OMFGWTF!!!!! problem and I already stated why for both.

CrankyTRex on October 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Honda

You win the point, act like an adult and use valid arguments.

There wasn’t any “complete adoration”, and you know it.

Jason Coleman on October 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Go back through the threads and you’ll see plenty of comments from Cain supporters saying … things like …

“This proves he’s a thoughtful guy.”

“Hey – maybe there ARE times when it’s okay to release terrorists”

Don’t take my word for it – Allah Pundit was posting in this thread more than any thread I’ve ever seen him post in – and he was expressing his complete shock at the way you guys “rationalized” Cain’s comments.

Comments, by the way – that even Cain doesn’t think were appropriate now – but his supporters did – go back through this thread – please do.

I want an electric fence – oh wait – I’m kidding … oh wait maybe not. I could release GITMO prisoners … oh wait – are GITMO prisoners terrorists? I must have misspoke …

This guy is not ready for prime time and he’s damn sure not ready for the nuke keys.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Aslans Girl on October 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Or he could always call the base heartless racists.

Is this where you want to take the fight?

kim roy on October 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Oh good God, calm down. First off, there is ZERO comparison between answering a hypothetical “what if” about a prisoner swap and gun walker, which actually happened! A hypothetical question is a “is this within the realms of possibility” question, just like “Will you nuke China if they become hostile”. Of course there is a possibility for it, but that doesn’t mean it’s LIKELY. And for a scientifically minded person like Cain hypothetical question are like a friggin’ dog-whistle … it’s almost guaranteed to elicit a “yes, there is a possibility of that” kind of response.

So stop your damn crying. He should definitely have considered his answer more carefully but I have absolutely no doubt that he in no way, shape or form believes that a prisoner swap is a viable alternative in the real world.

MisterPundit on October 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM