Celebrated redistributionists discover healthy respect for private property

posted at 9:25 am on October 18, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The lesson in this story, besides that irony is often delicious?  Redistributionism always looks better when you don’t own anything yourself (via JWF):

Occupy Wall Street protesters said yesterday that packs of brazen crooks within their ranks have been robbing their fellow demonstrators blind, making off with pricey cameras, phones and laptops — and even a hefty bundle of donated cash and food.

“Stealing is our biggest problem at the moment,” said Nan Terrie, 18, a kitchen and legal-team volunteer from Fort Lauderdale.

“I had my Mac stolen — that was like $5,500. Every night, something else is gone. Last night, our entire [kitchen] budget for the day was stolen, so the first thing I had to do was . . . get the message out to our supporters that we needed food!”

Crafty cat burglars sneaked into the makeshift kitchen at Zuccotti Park overnight and swiped as much as $2,500 in donated greenbacks from right under the noses of volunteers who’d fallen asleep after a long day whipping up meals for the hundreds of hungry protesters, the volunteers said.

Who’d have thought that a crowd of people demanding the seizure of wealth from banks, corporations, and the wealthy might also have a few thieves?  I’m shocked, shocked to find theft occurring in a group that has hijacked private property it refuses to leave.  I can’t imagine that a crowd that demands free higher education and the forgiveness of tens of thousands in student debt would also think of someone’s Mac or an iPhone as equally as communal as a college education.

The best part of this story is that it sounds like the thieves might be creating a few proto-conservatives:

Security volunteer Harry Wyman, 22, of Brooklyn was furious about the thievery — and vowed to get tough with the predatory perps.

“I’m not getting paid, but I’m not gonna stand for it. Why people got to come here and do stupid stuff? All it does is make people not wanna come here anymore,” Wyman fumed.

Law and order!  Get tough on crime!  Defend private property!  Hey, maybe there isn’t that much difference between this and a Tea Party after all — just a few years of experience and a couple of eye-opening insights on freeloaders.  In my column for The Week, I take a more serious look at the similarities between the two movements, and explain why the Occupiers are heading into an intellectual and political dead end:

So far, the Occupy protests have mainly drawn the usual suspects — anarchists and ideologues who spend their lives attempting to provoke responses from police and gain media attention. Some of the same organizations — unions, AGJ — have agitated at World Trade Organizations and G-8 summits, most notably in Seattle in 1999. In St. Paul, Minn., I saw the same kind of activists form into the umbrella RNC Welcoming Committee and organize violent protests at the Republican National Convention. But could this turn into something more?

It’s not out of the question. Those protests took place during periods of prosperity — in the latter case, before the recession became a collapse — and remained fringe affairs. That is certainly not the case any longer with Occupy, which is why targeting Wall Street will hit more of a resonant chord. The pressure of a chronic economic malaise means that we have millions of people who had been gainfully employed a few years ago who now find themselves outside of the economic system, with no stake in the status quo. They might find themselves agreeing with either movement — and on the streets demanding change of some sort. Right now, the attention is on Occupy, and that may draw a significant number of angry people who wouldn’t normally sympathize with hard-Left groups like AGJ or consider joining a union unless forced to do so.

However, the emphasis on Wall Street rather than Washington as the focus of anger and blame puts Occupy into an intellectual paradox that will likely limit its impact. Certainly Wall Street bears its share of responsibility for creating toxic derivatives that nearly killed the financial sector. But the derivatives failed because the securities on which they were based – congressionally-approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac securities – turned out to be junk bonds. The current issues of spending and debt originate in Congress, where the Democrats who replaced Republicans in 2006 promising fiscal responsibility turned out worse than their GOP predecessorts, ballooning deficits to well past a trillion dollars a year.

In this the Tea Party has a coherent ideology that opposes government interventions in private markets and runaway spending and debt: They want a smaller government. Occupy protests many of the same problems, but in response to these issues, the Occupy movement wants a bigger federal government that would punish banks and wealthy Americans. They apparently want seizures and redistribution, which necessarily means more bureaucracies, higher spending, and many more opportunities for collusion between authorities and monied interests in one way or another.

Right now, they’re also in the process of learning some hard truths about human nature, and why a fairly regulated free-market system works best to allow a channel for the natural self-interest of individuals to put capital to work and create wealth.

Update: Is there any such thing as a $5,500 Mac laptop?  I built my own MacBook Pro with every option on the laptop itself at the Apple store, and only came up with a price of $3,447.  I could also choose 6 or 12 month financing, but that would just put me in debt to the corporations, dude.  It looks like Nan’s mommy and daddy bought the Mac and Nan doesn’t have a clue about its value.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

For all of Hot Air’s continued whiny attempts to tell us how unimportant, unrepresentative, and widely unsupported Occupy Wall Street is, practically every other Hot Air post is on … Occupy Wall Street.

Integrity.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Pal, we are making fun of those fruticakes…this is news and it is funny watching them try to come up with some excuse not to go to work…here is the irony.
After they leave, they will hire illegals to come and clean up after American’s…

right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I hope the chick that craps on the grass and cleans up with baby wipes didn’t get said baby wipes stolen, that would be a shame.

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

We love it!

The comedy is gold and it exposes the underbelly of the Democratic Party. The Dem Party appeals to Communists, Nazis, Druggies, brainless college students moochers.

More, more, more OWS!!

mankai on October 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for confirming my argument. Hot Air, as you show, is merely appealing to its readers’ basest instincts rather than furthering civic discourse in a responsible way. Don’t get me wrong. Sometimes Ed has some smart stuff. But 80% of the posts are garbage that demand a response.

It’s the same class of stinkbait Kos and HuffPo like to throw out regularly, just a different flavor.

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

*evolution…darned iPad. Maybe I need one of those fancy $5,500 Macs that fix my typos.

JohnTant on October 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Just come on down to the park….the damn things are just lying around!!!

Seriously, babe, from each according to h(er) abilities (you had the mac), to each according to his needs (the thief didn’t).

Stop whining, this is what you wanted.

runawayyyy on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I think a missed moment of comedy gold was that they have an 18 year old as a legal team volunteer.

Red Cloud on October 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Baby, you need to re-read the HotAir mission statement, where the word “laugh” is repeated over and over.

Baby.

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Somewhere, Abbie Hoffman is laughing.

Steal This iBook.

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM

rather than furthering civic discourse in a responsible way.
bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

What exactly do you wish to discuss? The OWS has regressed into a semi-permanent refugee camp filled with too many people who aren’t even sure why they’re there and seem to be drifting through each day.

It’s barely even protesting any longer and most of the protesters would have left long ago without the free food and supplies which are keeping them alive day to day. Zucotti Park is a disaster which gets worse by the day and I can only imagine the clean up which will be necessary to bring it back to pre-OWS condition.

What civil discourse are you seeking, that people here embrace a crowd of agitators as brothers?

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

It started out as a revolution, and ended up as a homeless shelter.

ardenenoch on October 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Red Cloud on October 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“kitchen AND legal team volunteer” — means she gets coffee. Sounds kind of old-fashioned, but it lets her be a part of an epic hippie-fark. I’m not sure why she needed the world’s most expensive laptop to get coffee, though.

RegularJoe on October 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Wow, this is *hilarious*.

Ah, sweet, juicy, tasty irony.

Midas on October 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

coldwarrior on October 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Wow man… you hate everybody who’s not on the exact same page as you. I’m impressed.

RalphyBoy on October 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The truth CAN be difficult, can’t it? It’s okay; a lot of us were ignorant liberals when we were young, too.

RegularJoe on October 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Actually if we did embrace them as brothers I would expect even more mockery.

Back when my brother was an arrogant liberal twit, I was merciless. MERCILESS I tell you.

But if civil discourse is desired, hey, I am all for it. Liberals first though. As soon as one says something that resembles either civility or reasoned discourse, I’ll go right along.

Lily on October 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM

You forget software. Many cool tools cost in the thousands.

Then there is all those stolen MP3 files to consider…

bbordwell on October 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

You missed the point. These videos are valuable to expose the extremism in the Democratic Party.

I’m not throwing out the words “Communists” or “Nazis” recklessly or without cause. The OWS crowd is screaming that they are totalitarian lovers. The more exposure they get for their views and the more the Democrats want to embrace their totalitarian philosophy the better informed America will be about the intent of both.

I suspect you live in a fantasy world in which you believe all the “conservatives want to kill blacks, gays and grandma, so vote for the Democrats” crapola. The Democrats’ embrace of the OWS totalitarian crowd is an important moment in the modern political discussion.

Bring on more OWS.

mankai on October 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hey, we tried civil discourse, you guys spit on us.

Let us know when you’re ready by first actually being civil yourselves.

Until then, you’ve earned the following in spades – F@#$ you.

Midas on October 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

RegularJoe on October 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I was an idealistic young Democrat once. I remember when I met the College Democrats in college (1984) and reported to my Dem dad that they were USSR-loving, Sandinista-supporting, anti-Americans and he told me I was lying.

These are the people that now control the Democratic Party which is why they find such solidarity with the OWS crowd.

More Americans need to wake up.

mankai on October 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

It started out as a revolution, and ended up as a homeless shelter.

ardenenoch on October 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Wanna see some heads explode? Print this up as leaflets and spread them around the OWS (Occupy Whatever Street) locations.
Then sit back and watch the chimps go bananas.

RalphyBoy on October 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Bishop on October 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The troll doesn’t want discourse. He just wants to drop a deuce on this thread while we’re all enjoying a hearty belly laugh at his buddies’ expense. The least we can do is offer him baby wipes.

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Crafty cat burglars…

Wait, they’re stealing kitty cats? Ruthless b@stards!

Late Night (or was it) Early Morning Cat Burglar

…Its sounds like a dozen robbers
Listening to Racket, overhead
Take a bat with which to clobber
Find only cat with mouse instead

How can it be, one lonely cat
with such a tiny squeaky voice
Makes so much noise, like that?
Would seem she really has no choice.

Twinkles up! llll> <llll

Er… Wha? Oh. Nevermind.

Twinkles down! llll’ ‘llll

Fallon on October 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Those two sentences back to back are comical.

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The least we can do is offer him gently used baby wipes.

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Just keepin it green…

RalphyBoy on October 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Oh crap… I gotta go… to work now. Guess I’ll hide my laptop./bwwwaaa

RalphyBoy on October 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM

“I had my Mac stolen — that was like $5,500.” That’s all I needed to read. A bunch of trendy trustafarians carrying around the inventions of the nearly departed billionaire Steve Jobs – what monumental hypocrisy.

stuartm650 on October 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I’m waiting for “I survived Occupy Wall Street” a mockumentary.

Come on, where are the entrepreneurs, let’s make some lemmingade out of these lemmings.

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
Little John, Little John, sees his bobbing head…

unclesmrgol on October 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Reminds me of the people who will argue to the death that there is no such thing as right and wrong, but will scream to the rooftops if they feel somebody did them wrong………

tom on October 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Funny how a simple google search finds you referring to “teabaggers.” It takes an impressive lack of self awareness to post like you do. After the treatment the tea party got it’s just too much fun to watch the left go full hissy over actual video of the OWS babies.

Ampersand on October 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

No one gives a damn about a balanced budget amendment, except dorks who listen to Dave Ramsey. Just another pathetic tea bagger move to avoid facing the ineluctable fact:
bifidis on October 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Watching a lib implode is just too much fun!!!

Ampersand on October 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

LOL! Best thread for ages. All good threads require at least one troll,..otherwise it just doesn’t work. Sadly, I’m afraid crr6 is lost forever.

a capella on October 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

bifidis on October 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM

My IQ dropped 50 points just reading that post.

NoFanofLibs on October 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Yo “bifidis”………….I just found FREE wet wipes available for your brethren!

Just hurry and go dial up 1-800-WAAAAAAAAAAA

Katfish on October 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I’m afraid crr6 is lost forever.

a capella on October 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Lost? Thought we just saw her complaining about a stolen $5k laptop? 18 year old as a legal team volunteer?

coldwarrior on October 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Dear protesters,
Don’t think of them as thieves. Think of them as tax collectors. How does it feel?

Bevan on October 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Dear protesters,

Bevan on October 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Sort of like an “investment” then, huh?

RegularJoe on October 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Redistributing wealth is such an upsetting thing when it happens to you…

d1carter on October 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

According to their own logic, it’s not theft, it’s redistribution.

All property should be communally owned, and it would be evil and capitalistic to horde communal goods and not freely share them.

nottakingsides on October 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM

From my readings regarding the Soviet communist failed experiment, I recall there were some communal apartment centers in some of the larger cities that even advocated, and tried, having people share even the most basic of necessities: their clothing, underwear & everything.
You couldn’t own a thing.
Needless to say these communal apartments were full of really angry resentful people & it often led to violent confrontations.

Badger40 on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Flame away, Hot Airheads.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Note a call for ‘civic discourse’ should not be followed by calling 80% of someone’s posts garbage unless you are prepared to back that latter up with standards and measurements of what is and is not garbage in your eyes.

Otherwise you are violating the point you are trying to make. Thus the content of such discourse from you is null.

Then you go into name calling and comparison without backing it up with point by point comparisons between posters here and at other sites. This is not ‘civic discourse’ and isn’t civil, either.

If you want ‘civic discourse’ then start it yourself: take the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune along with all the name calling and continue on being civil. No one is stopping you from doing that. You can control your own emotions, stop your own hatred, step away from the vitriol and examine it and ask ‘just what am I upset about?’ Perhaps if you find your emotional buttons being pushed you just might need to step away from the computer, take a few deep breaths, look out the window and realize that it isn’t worth the shortened life that your emotions are giving you to give into such baser feelings. That is only a kindly suggestion to help further the civility necessary to carry on civilization and if you want civility towards yourself you must first express it towards others.

For me these people at OWS are, by and large, have no idea of what human nature is because they have been protected from it by relativistic schooling in which ‘everyone is a winner’. They feel sorry for the poor without having been poor: they are the 1% not the 99% and seem to miss that point as they now whine about petty theft. How bourgeouise, no? It is that complaint that human nature can beset THEM that is precious beyond words because they don’t have the faintest clue about it after being in high school and college and only now waking up to the fact they must have some say in the decisions they haven’t been making in their lives, heretofore.

At this point I’m waiting to see if this movement will implode under its own stupidity, turn into a lynch mob, start an internecine conflict on the left between the Commies/Nazis/Anarchists/Progressives similar to what went on in Weimar save these people aren’t smart enough to make prussic acid and field assassination teams, or just so sicken their fellow citizens that they find themselves locked out of home when they try to get home, and thus become the new homeless class. They could also get a clue about human nature, what happens when governments regulate business and why it happens… but that is such high thinking that they have never been exposed to that it is alien to their world view. If they wanted to end the bailouts, get rid of the corruption and otherwise disentangle DC from Wall Street and the banking system, then they would leave the protests, straighten up their lives, realize they have been lied to and join the Tea Partiers and seek to get better representatives to start repealing a century’s worth of meddling that has caused multiple economic crises.

The road to doing that starts with people getting stuff stolen and realizing that there is a value to YOURSELF in private property and that it must be PROTECTED, not confiscated by government. Simple thievery can start you on that road. Too bad they have to learn that by camping out in OWS and its other offshoots, but if that is what it takes to wake them up, so be it. Until they wake up the mockery and chiding will continue because wanting to get government to collapse along with the economic system isn’t ‘civic discourse’, it isn’t civil and is asking for a modern Dark Age.

I’ve read about the previous ones and the Iron Times that come with them. And I will remain very civil up to my dying breath. But only a fool would think that our civilization can be maintained without blood upon the civil sword. Better to wake up to that aspect of human nature, now, and reform the system than to wake up to it too late and find you are no longer civilized enough to hold up your end of things in this civilization business.

ajacksonian on October 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Badger40 on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Understandable. Someone else wearing my underwear would make me a bit grumpy.

a capella on October 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I think Bob Hope was talking about the OWSers, and a couple of trolls here……

itsspideyman on October 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Souped up mac book: $3,500
World Changing Ideas on Mac Book: Priceless…but…umm…for insurance purposes, let’s call that another $2,000.

JadeNYU on October 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

It started out as a revolution, and ended up as a homeless shelter.

ardenenoch on October 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Don’t all lefty revolutions ?
Look at our nation, thanks to 0′s ‘revolutionary fundamental change’.

pambi on October 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Polling the OWS

Our research shows clearly that the movement doesn’t represent unemployed America and is not ideologically diverse. Rather, it comprises an unrepresentative segment of the electorate that believes in radical redistribution of wealth, civil disobedience and, in some instances, violence. Half (52%) have participated in a political movement before, virtually all (98%) say they would support civil disobedience to achieve their goals, and nearly one-third (31%) would support violence to advance their agenda.

The vast majority of demonstrators are actually employed, and the proportion of protesters unemployed (15%) is within single digits of the national unemployment rate (9.1%).

… What binds a large majority of the protesters together—regardless of age, socioeconomic status or education—is a deep commitment to left-wing policies: opposition to free-market capitalism and support for radical redistribution of wealth, intense regulation of the private sector, and protectionist policies to keep American jobs from going overseas.

LarryD on October 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Badger40 on October 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

It’s interesting to me that the only place where communal living actually works is in religious communities. Residents of monasteries and convents consider all property to belong to the group as a whole. You never hear of one nun saying she left the convent because the other nuns were stealing all her stuff.

It’s almost as if there has to be some rule, or law, or dare I say, commandment against such behavior.

Lily on October 18, 2011 at 3:49 PM

LarryD on October 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM

It’s a good thing they’re mostly employed. If I were a hiring manager and found a potential candidate were involved in this silliness, I’d flip right through to the next resume.

I have no problem working with and hiring people with different political views than me. I’m a conservative in Santa Monica. I’m lucky to find a co-worker that’s not extremely liberal. However, my co-workers all bust their butts to earn what they earn. That’s all I ask. How long would it be before your OWS hire starts whining about how you were taking advantage of them because someone else at the company makes more than they do and they are so awesome and no one gives them a chance and blah blah blah…..

It might not happen, but, I wouldn’t risk it.

There are enough good candidates out there you don’t need to hire the whiners.

JadeNYU on October 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM

To “google” the nearest Starbucks?

oldleprechaun on October 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I’m curious to know how many corporations are involved in the making of a macbook. Software and hardware. I’m pretty sure Apple doesn’t manufacture every single resistor and capacitor on their boards, as it’s much cheaper to buy such things on the open market. It’s gotta be dozens of corporations at least.

With this in mind, I’m surprised at her reaction. You’d think she’d be glad to be rid of it. You’d think she’d be thanking the thief.

runawayyyy on October 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bifidis speaks with forked tongue.

The Evil Doctor K on October 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Oh but it’s THEIR property being redistributed? well now, THAT’S different.

Yakko77 on October 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Apparently the Whole World WASN’T watching.

Wander on October 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Interesting how all these college/educated/knowledgeable “folk” have to go to OWS to get an education — in reality.

Caststeel on October 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM

If the stealing goes on long enough, we snatch victory from the (unflossed) jaws of defeat! Remember the old joke: A Republican is a Democrat that’s been mugged!

2L8 on October 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

You know.. it would be golden if there were video of some of this stuff. Like those protesting at the Occupy Oakland. That one girl talking about how her iphone was needed for her to video and post on youtube. Wondering what her reaction would be if the camera guy had just reached over and grabbed her iphone and yelled “You’re rich! I don’t have an iphone! I can’t afford one! This is mine now you capitalist pig!”

JellyToast on October 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Update: Is there any such thing as a $5,500 Mac laptop? I built my own MacBook Pro with every option on the laptop itself at the Apple store, and only came up with a price of $3,447. I could also choose 6 or 12 month financing, but that would just put me in debt to the corporations, dude. It looks like Nan’s mommy and daddy bought the Mac and Nan doesn’t have a clue about its value.

Enabling every upgrade I get to $4,426 after tax. Add in software and cables I accessories you might be able to get into the $5k range.

clement on October 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I’ll bet that the Mac owner didn’t go for the anti theft available that is traceable and even takes a photo of the person using the Mac. Ever hear of the “On Star” on autos that will send an ambulance to an accident scene. Same technology.

mixplix on October 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Communist Party worker: If you had two houses, wouldn’t you share one with your poor comrades?
Muscovite: Yes of course.
CPW: And if you had two cars, you would share one with the State?
M: Certainly.
CPW: Good! And if you had two shirts, wouldn’t you share one with your neighbour?
M: Nyet.
CPW: No? Why not?
M: I actually have two shirts.

Venril on October 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Apparently the Whole World WASN’T watching.

Wander on October 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Lulz.

Hannibal Smith on October 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

This is just another example that the protest is not about fairness–it is founded on the protester’s own greed and the fact that the people covet the property of others. I would bet that most of these cretins have no real idea what ‘sharing’ means. It’s all about “I Want” and nothing more. It is repulsive.

zoyclem on October 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM