Yet another reason to be proud to be pro-life

posted at 9:25 pm on October 17, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Last week, a friend of mine who is a Missionary for Life updated her Facebook status with an encouraging post.

“Every day I see more and more how the pro-life community is more than just a movement — it’s a family,” she wrote. “Abortion will end because my family is working on it and my family is AWESOME!”

I know what she means. Who doesn’t want to be associated with a Dick Retta or an Abby Johnson? Now, add the name Stacy Crimm to that list. Crimm is neither a sidewalk counselor nor a pro-life spokesperson: She’s a woman who lived out pro-life principles as purely as is possible. She gave her life for them:

She laughed and cried all at once that day in March as she explained that five pregnancy tests showed she would be having a child. It was a joyous surprise at age 41 but even more so because she’d been told she would never be able to get pregnant, said her brother, Ray Phillips.

But even as she shopped for clothes for the child she longed to hold in her arms, she knew something was not right. …

At her family’s encouragement, she visited a number of doctors. In July, a CT scan revealed that she had head and neck cancer.

Now she had to choose between her life and her baby’s life. Phillips said she agonized only for a while before deciding against taking potentially lifesaving chemotherapy in hopes that she would soon hold a healthy baby in her arms.

Without chemo, the aggressive cancer intensified quickly. By August, the invasive tumor had begun to wrap around Crimm’s brain stem. In the middle of the month, she collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, where doctors decided to deliver her 2-pound, 1-ounce daughter, Dottie Mae, by C-section. Both mother and daughter were confined to respective intensive care units — and it became increasingly apparent Crimm might die without seeing her daughter at all. At that point, a couple of determined nurses stepped in, working with the medical center’s neonatal transport team to devise a safe way to enable Dottie to visit Crimm.

Nurses wheeled Dottie down the hallway to her mother …

They placed the baby on her mother’s chest. Mother and child gazed into each other’s eyes for several minutes. She smiled at the baby who at last lay in her arms.

No one said a word. No one had a dry eye.

Stacie Crimm died three days later.

Her brother described that moment between mother and child as “perfect.” Today, he and his wife are the guardians of little Dottie, still just five pounds, but healthy enough to be at home with the Phillipses and their four children.

Crimm truly did have a choice: Even if abortion were illegal, she could have opted to receive chemotherapy. That she bravely chose to place her child’s life before her own recalls forcibly to mind why the phrase “a mother’s love” has such resonance. When we talk about abortion, rarely do we talk about the ache many women feel after they choose to abort their babies. Crimm’s physical suffering must have been unimaginable — and, yet, three days before she died, she was able to hold close the fruit of her choice in what Phillips said was a perfect moment. Would that her story might help all mothers see nothing is worth the sacrifice of their own child.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow!!!

I’m really choked up right now. I don’t know what to say, but that woman surely has a special place in heaven right now…and I hope her daughter is told of the great sacrifice mommy made for her, and how proud she’ll be of her mommy.

capejasmine on October 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM

O_O

WOW, that took some seeds on her part, Medal of Honor type bravery.

Bishop on October 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM

wow, very touching.

clement on October 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Robert_Paulson on October 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM

What a beautiful story of selfless love. That child is an angel.

onlineanalyst on October 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I have no words to describe how amazing this story is.

Yakko77 on October 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I have to admit I got a little choked up too. It’s very saddening that she had to choose, but she chose the right path. How anyone can’t be touched by this story is beyond me. How anyone can be for abortion is beyond me too, in all honesty.

NathanG on October 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

One of them is dead. I fail to see the reason for celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

One of them is dead. I fail to see the reason for celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Because the other option could have lead to two dead.

Electrongod on October 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Nurses wheeled Dottie down the hallway to her mother …
No one said a word. No one had a dry eye.
Stacie Crimm died three days later.
=======================================

Wow,like Bishop said, going above the Call of Duty!

That chokes me up,alas there still is hope!!

canopfor on October 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Stacie Crimm
===============

Musical Dedication
===================

Real Life – Send Me An Angel (1983)
***********************************
***********************************

canopfor on October 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Great story, she must be Jewish

georgealbert on October 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

God bless this mother and her precious daughter. My admiration knows no bounds.

CantCureStupid on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Electrongod on October 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM

You can’t possibly know that. This is a tragedy, no matter which way it went.

Using it to push one agenda or another, is wrong. That family is in pain unless both survived.

The parents, reminded of a daughter lost every time they look at their grandchild. The child who grows up without a mother. The potential mother who lost a child because she might have chosen a different path. All could have happened. But only one of them did happen.

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I’d say I’m crying like a woman, but women like this put me to shame. God bless them all.

abobo on October 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM

One of them is dead. I fail to see the reason for celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I take it from your comment that you think if she’d aborted her baby and had lived (which was not even likely much less certain) one of them would not be dead. In fact, her alternative was for AT LEAST one to die and perhaps both of them. This mother made a choice to sacrifice her life so that her baby could live. She succeeded in saving her baby’s life. I know I would give my life for either of my daughters, but they’ve been with us for years — I know them and know why I love them. This woman gave her life for a child she hadn’t even met yet. If you don’t understand why such love should be celebrated then it’s a reflection on you and your values, not on her or her sacrifice.

SoRight on October 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

wow

carbon_footprint on October 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

You are f’d up. The mom in this story made the ultimate sacrifice to save her child. While her death is certainly tragic, her love and sacrifice is what stands out here. What she did is no different than the soldier who lays his life on the line to protect his brothers in arms and our liberties. We don’t celebrate their death, we celebrate their courage and their love they have for others.

How you do not see this in an instant is disturbing.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM

What a wonderful example of God’s love.

Pablo Honey on October 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

You can’t possibly know that. This is a tragedy, no matter which way it went.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

No I couldn’t…nor could the mother.
She decided to take a path of least risk to a life….givin’ the circumstances.

Electrongod on October 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

SoRight on October 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

No, I’m not saying that at all.

I’m saying using someone’s personal tragedy to push a political agenda is wrong.

I don’t assume to think that woman made the right or wrong choice, but I respect her right to make the choice she did.

I just don’t feel like buying party favors and baking a cake over it.

A woman is dead, I simply fail to see the reason to celebrate a woman dead.

Read into that what you will. Tonite a family is in pain, and I draw no sense of satisfaction one way or another about it.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM

What is wrong with some people? She knew she was doomed and tried to make the best decision. She could have taken all the procedures available and the outcome would have been the same—-2011 or 2012. Any normal person would jump in a pit of fire without thinking to save their child. While 41 is not old the lady realized this was the best way to carry on her memory.

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

That is a sad story. It’s odd though that people seem to have missed the recent study that shows that chemo after the first trimester is actually relatively safe for the developing fetus. http://tinyurl.com/3hlcyl4

Hopefully more people realize this before they opt not to have chemo in the future. There’s more than one story like this that might have resulted in two alive rather than only one because a mother opted out of chemo for the baby’s health.

Christina D on October 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM

What a wonderful example of God’s love.

Pablo Honey on October 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I am guessing you are one of those brave souls who have tremendous courage when the only one in the room is yourself.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

She got cancer. Pretty sure terminal cancer. People get sick. She dealt with it the way I think most people would under the situation. A new precious life is out there.
I wont slam you but sometimes before you post you really should think about what you are saying.

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Ya know, I disagree, but I am quite certain that its unquestionably not worthy of pissing on the memory of a mother who contemplated all of her choices, and then decided not to take the best course of action for her own well-being, but rather to to do everything she possibly could to best enhance the chances of her baby’s survival.

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

jeez NotCoach two sweethearts in a row. I thought I was an a-hole.

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Ok, seriously – wtf is wrong with you f@#$wits?

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM

jeez NotCoach two sweethearts in a row. I thought I was an a-hole.

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Pablo is an anti-theist who takes every opportunity he can to belittle those of faith. Doesn’t matter the subject matter. He isn’t very imaginative though. At least he could be entertaining in his hatred.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Sometimes you read something and have to comment.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Other times, you really should simply say something nice, or STFU and keep your asshattery to yourself.

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I need a shower. Other then that I don’t know. I need to know why I’m being lumped in with Hog Wild.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I am so sorry if you thought I was lumping you in. I meant your responses to those goofs were very very good.

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

arnold ziffel on October 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Thank you, and I know. I was replying to Midas.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Just to be brief, how can you draw joy from either a mother or child living and one of them dying?

If you want to use that as a political football… that doesn’t make me “f’d up”.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

A woman is dead, I simply fail to see the reason to celebrate a woman dead.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I’m not sure how you perceived any sense of satisfaction on the part of any of the rest of us here over how that story ended.
I take from this story the message that cancer really sucks.
But at least it didn’t get two.

listens2glenn on October 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

If you want to use that as a political football… that doesn’t make me “f’d up”.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

You really are that ignorant when it comes to celebrating the courage of others? Do you go to funerals and yell at people for laughing and cheering the great things about the loved one they just lost?

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Thank you, and I know. I was replying to Midas.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

It was the ‘brave when you’re the only one in the room’ crack.

wtf prompted that?

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM

It was the ‘brave when you’re the only one in the room’ crack.

wtf prompted that?

Midas on October 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM

That was a reply to Pablo Honey and another of his wonderful posts saying a despicably hateful thing because of his hatred of those who believe. I was implying he wouldn’t say such disgusting things to someone’s face.

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM

If you want to use that as a political football… that doesn’t make me “f’d up”.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I’m sorry but I missed the “political football” in the story. If you refer to the pro-life stance, that is a moral issue not a political one. I saw no mention of a party or candidate. The fact that you did is rather odd.

Deanna on October 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM

NotCoach on October 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Pick and choose comments as you see fit. A family is in pain today, and I’m the only one so far who has acknowledged it. I’m not using their pain for my own goals.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

You do realize that the family was involved with the video? So I’m not certain what you find wrong with our commenting on it. Obviously that is what the family wanted or they wouldn’t have made the video. It was their choice, not yours.

Deanna on October 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Deanna on October 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Abortion or not abortion is not a political football? It has been since 1973. Where have you been? From the beginning both sides have been using individual personal tragedies to make their arguement.

Don’t get angry with me that I understand that real people are involved and are tossed aside as soon as they are no longer useful to the “cause” regardless side of arguement.

If I’m wrong, where’s the college fund for the child that just lost her mother?

Show me that, I’ll admit I’m wrong.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Show me that, I’ll admit I’m wrong.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Why? You didn’t show me where any of the comments were political or that the video or family were being used. And truthfully I don’t care what you admit or not. I’m simply asking you questions. Answer my second post about the family’s choice to make the video. Are you saying they’re using it too? You’re coming off as a scanctimonious jerk, that you’re the arbiter of what’s an acceptable response in such a situation. If you think about it, it sounds like you’re criticizing the family’s choice to make this public.

Deanna on October 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM

If I’m wrong, where’s the college fund for the child that just lost her mother?

Show me that, I’ll admit I’m wrong.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM

How pathetic.

astonerii on October 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Strong story and comments but I am at a loss. Pro life means in G_d hands and he gave the ability to use chemo to cure and prolong life from one of the mortal evils. This is how I would have advised someone in the position of having cancer and pregnant. Is to get the chemo, surgery and keep the baby. Even if the doctor advise that chemo can kill the baby intro get the chemo just the same and put the fate of the baby in god’s hands not man’s. But that is just me.

Pro life does not only mean the babies life, it also means the life of the mother.

This is the type of topic that ethic papers are made for.

tjexcite on October 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM

This is an awful story. And its sickening that people are trying to make it political. At what should be the happiest time of her life, she died. 3 days after the birth of her child, she’s dead. Child has no mother. Mother never gets to experience anything with her child. She was presented with an impossible choice and chose path 2/2. While what she did was courageous, the circumstances are still awful.

thphilli on October 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM

tjexcite on October 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Seriously. Trying to make this into a pro-life thing is ridiculous in my mind.

thphilli on October 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM

What a selfish act. Here’s why. She didn’t do what she did for the sake of the baby. Had the fetus died, the fetus would never have regretted it. You can’t regret not living a life you never had. But you can certainly regret living a life knowing that your existence caused your mother’s death. Now the fetus will regret the decision the mother made because it will live to regret it. That pain, imposed by the mother, on her child, and on her husband, will make them suffer for the rest of their lives. But, the way she figured it in her selfish subconscious metric, harming them was the price they had to pay so that she could die happy with herself. That’s it, people, whether you want to admit it to yourselves or not.

Just as with suicide. Sure, it is you who will die, but your act emotionally harms all those around you.

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

The woman’s right to choose cuts both ways.

I know it bothers you she didn’t kill the child, so she could have the burden of knowing she chose to kill another, in order to live.

If you respect the woman’s right to abort a child, then you have to respect the woman’s right to keep the child, and abort her life instead.

portlandon on October 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

A similar story played out with a couple I knew. That child will always know how much she was loved. Amazing that my life was spared by another.

ClanDerson on October 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Wow! We even have wannabe Psychiatrists around here.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM

The woman’s right to choose cuts both ways.

Who said it doesn’t? What I’m saying is that it was a selfish act, exactly the opposite as it has been billed in this hotair editorial.

keep the change on October 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

You’re wrong.

And Pablo Honey and thphilli, I don’t even know what to say to two jaded idiots like you. Are you so afraid of someone valuing a babies life that you couldn’t just restrain yourselves for one thread? You are two pathetic human beings.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

keep the change on October 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

This narrow minded thinking only works if you do not believe an unborn child is not human. Parents will do anything to keep their child safe and a parent who respects life, no matter the child’s development, will choose their child first. She chose what she thought was best for her child. You choose to be obtuse and insulting.

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just say you don’t get it?

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

keep the change on October 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

How is it selfish?

What the hell is wrong with you people?

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Wow! We even have wannabe Psychiatrists around here.

arnold ziffel on October 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Nope. More like someone who has their own issues they’re projecting onto this woman they don’t even know.

Deanna on October 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

You really need help. Why are you projecting your own issues onto a woman you don’t know?

Deanna on October 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM

What a selfish act. Here’s why.

She didn’t do what she did for the sake of the baby.

I thought it was a fetus.

So, the younger a child is, the more acceptable it is to kill it?

So, survivor’s guilt has merit? Firemen shouldn’t pull you from a building if it might cost them their lives?

So mothers that might cause their children regret later in life have a duty to kill their children?

So, mothers that might impose pain on their husbands and/or children have a duty to kill their children?

But, the way she figured it in her selfish subconscious metric, harming them was the price they had to pay so that she could die happy with herself. The decision the mother made was to satiate her own need to be a hero in her own mind, even if that decision will harm all those around her for the rest of their lives.

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

So, by your metric, the next policeman that sees you getting knifed in an alley has a moral duty to give you the finger and walk away. Hey, going in there and risking his life for you, just for his selfish subconscious desire to be happy with himself, would cause his wife and children irreparable harm.

Sorry bud. At least we’re saving money on department funerals.

spmat on October 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

For some, the selfish thing is to let the child live. Perhaps, if the child lives, the mother may find it harder to continue her studies, or she may find her health impaired, or she may even die.

For others, the selfish thing is to not kill the child. Then the child must be loved by others, cherished by others, raised by others.

Those others have a concept of community which does not value unborn children, and so they cannot understand when others place great value upon the unborn.

Hence, they call any person who puts the unborn child’s life above their own a selfish hero.

Anyone who puts someone else’s life before their own is, in my mind, a hero. I think others would say that too.

No one has greater love than this.

unclesmrgol on October 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM

This story has no direct connections to Rowe vs. Wade or abortion law, but some of the reactions are revealing.

To the abortion side, an unborn child is just a fetus, a mass of cells, so the argument goes. Following this argument, the choice was really a no-brainer: she should have aborted this collection of cells to save her own life.

To admit that this was an act of great sacrifice and courage — instead of stupidity — would be to admit that the fetus is actually a life with great value, worthy of the sacrifice, so those on the abortion rights at all costs side of the aisle will either stay silent, try to deflect, or minimize what happened.

Aardvark on October 18, 2011 at 1:50 AM

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Easy there, my friend. Our sympathy should be aimed at them, along with hogwild and keep the change. They lack a little something– a blessed assurance that our redeemed lives here on earth are but a foretaste of glory in the hereafter. They don’t believe, therefore they must, absolutely must live their life to the fullest, regardless of cost before facing the “nothingness” that awaits them according to their religion. Yes, they belong to the religion of “me, myself & I, ergo nothing”.

We celebrate the love of a mother that would lay down her life for her child. They can only see the tragedy of a mother throwing her life away, when she could have squeezed out another couple of years. We’re also told that when all the saints are convened in heaven, we will recognize each other on sight. We’ll recognize Moses, Elijah etc. Imagine the joy when Stacy and child are reunited in heaven. Stacy is already watching her daughter experience life on earth. And Stacy was able to let go, because she knew that that baby in the womb was fearfully and wonderfully made by God and that God knew her before she was even formed.

So my sympathies go out to those four and my blessings go out to mother and child.

AH_C on October 18, 2011 at 2:00 AM

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Let me give you some different examples. Let’s say we some examples of valor: a soldier gives his life defending his country, a man jumps into a river and saves a drowning a child at the cost of his own life, a firefighter rushing into a build burning and saves the residents but perishes at the end.

In each case it’s a tragedy, but we recognize and celebrate the heroism involved.

“Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.”

This woman laid down her life in order to save the life of her child. It’s no more and no less than that. You apparently think this is all political. Perhaps you think there was no life involved. Perhaps you think that woman was a fool and threw away her life for a “piece of tissue”.

If you do, then I pity you.

PackerBronco on October 18, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Réquiem ætérnam dona ei Dómine; et lux perpétua lúceat ei. Requiéscat in pace. Amen.

theCork on October 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Thank God for examples of love like this in the world. Thank God for the sacrifice of the mother for the life of that baby. Thank God for the nurses who gave the mother the gift of that perfect moment. Thank God for that baby’s family who will raise her to know she was worth the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you Tina for sharing this story.

txmomof6 on October 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM

My hope is that this precious child grows up with the knowledge of the depth of her mother’s love for her. A love that can only be exceeded by God’s love for her. This truth will be an armor against a world of ugliness out there. It will not guarantee her a happy life, but it is the surest foundation for one.

SKYFOX on October 18, 2011 at 7:30 AM

AH_C on October 18, 2011 at 2:00 AM

You’re much more generous than me. But you’re right. I guess I just look at these Ground Hog Day exchanges and think it’s a continuous casting of pearls.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM

A woman is dead, I simply fail to see the reason to celebrate a woman dead.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I assume that you are against awarding the Medal of Honor to soldiers who died while earning it.

CDeb on October 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM

The woman committed suicide which was not a sacrifice that did ANY good. It did irreparable harm.

The fetus it saved, was not done any favors. But by committing suicide, she imparted pain on her husband, her loved ones, her other child, and especially the fetus that WILL grow into a child, then and adult, and carry that emotional burden until death. She caused a ton of pain just so that she could remain pure in her own mind. Her fanaticism forced her not only to kill herself, but to bring pain to so many, just so that she could satisfy her own emotional need to bring the fetus to term. Basically, she adopted what is called a scorched earth policy. She did not one wit of good, did a terribly amount of damage not only to others who already loved her, but to the fetus who will find out what happened years from now.

If you can’t understand that, then you’re not thinking. Or you prefer not to think. I think you do get it, but don’t want to admit to yourselves, and certainly will not admit it openly because it flies in the face of your religious anti-abortion dogma. Ironic, because this story has nothing to do with abortion. But it gets thumbs up from the same crowd. Not surprising.

keep the change on October 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM

keep the change on October 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I actually know not one, but two people who are alive today because their mothers chose to place them over themselves, resulting in their own deaths. Neither of these people live with survivor’s guilt or pain over their mother’s decision. Rather, they feel fortunate to be so loved, a depth of love that you obviously cannot comprehend. Rather than feeling guilty, they feel inspired to live a life worthy of their mothers’ sacrifices.

Your comment reeks of ignorance born by a desperation to maintain a stance on life that is built on a foundation of selfishness.

CDeb on October 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I wouldn’t use their deaths to pat myself on the back or promote an political agenda like Tina is doing in this post (again).

Pablo Honey on October 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM

keep the change on October 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM

There are no words to describe this feeling a contempt and pity I have for a person with your particular heartless worldview. If you cannot read of a person like this and just have your heart swell with pride over the courage of another human being … you are just to be pitied. Not admired for you ability to debate an issue, but to be pitied that her story is nothing more than a point of contention to you. And Crimm’s brother Ray Phillips took the fetus “into his home with his four children”. I’m sure she’ll be just fine despite her origins.

BTW, the fetus’s name is Dottie Mae.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I said the same thing and got smitten for it.

::Shrug::

Pablo Honey on October 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Pablo Honey on October 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Quite arrogant to say someone cannot take the example of a woman who sacrificed her life to save her child to promote the concept of being pro life.

What examples may we use? Or should we just STFU and sit in the corner about any of our pro life concepts while you good Conservatives are working to protect our bottom line.

Pathetic and deserving only of pity the lot of you.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I said the same thing and got smitten for it.

::Shrug::

Pablo Honey on October 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM

You said the same thing being sarcastic.

:: Shrug ::

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM

BTW, the fetus’s name is Dottie Mae.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM

He is mentally broken or in denial.

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM

This story illustrates the difference between viewing humans as “capital” or “beings with souls”.

If you subscribe to the Complete Life Cycle by Ezekiel Emanuel contained in Obamacare, all medical decisions are clinical, based on fairness and allocation of resources:

If you believe that God has a purpose for everyone and your faith is founded in something different than “the state”, you understand why this woman made her decision to give life to her child.

I believe it’s the difference between the law vs grace. Those who haven’t experienced grace can’t fathom how this mother could sacrifice her life for her daughter.

manateespirit on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Pablo Honey on October 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Why is it that the ones terrified of this courageous act are the only ones bringing up politics?

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

He is mentally broken or in denial.

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Both great commnets. Nail on the head. But let’s not kid ourselves. A lot of what is commented on Tina Korbe’s threads are simply in direct opposition to her Conservatism. She could present an editorial on the virtues of being good parents and the progressive crowd here would see it as some infringement on their rights to be bad parents.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Tina:
This is nitpicky, but being pro-life is not a source of pride for me as though it were an admirable choice among many. It is a moral imperative. A recognition of the soul as our first gift from God.

Extrafishy on October 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Lincoln said it best during his Cooper Union speech. His subject slavery, but it applies equally well to abortion:

… what will convince them? This, and this only: cease to call slavery wrong, and join them in calling it right. And this must be done thoroughly – done in acts as well as in words. Silence will not be tolerated – we must place ourselves avowedly with them. Senator Douglas’ new sedition law must be enacted and enforced, suppressing all declarations that slavery is wrong, whether made in politics, in presses, in pulpits, or in private. We must arrest and return their fugitive slaves with greedy pleasure. We must pull down our Free State constitutions. The whole atmosphere must be disinfected from all taint of opposition to slavery, before they will cease to believe that all their troubles proceed from us.

I am quite aware they do not state their case precisely in this way. Most of them would probably say to us, “Let us alone, do nothing to us, and say what you please about slavery.” But we do let them alone – have never disturbed them – so that, after all, it is what we say, which dissatisfies them. They will continue to accuse us of doing, until we cease saying.

PackerBronco on October 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM

A favorite tactic of those uncomfortable with a topic is to politicize it in order to try and discredit its deeper meaning and relevance. Bravery is bravery regardless of the subject matter and should be recognized and celebrated when publicized. Even Obama can be given some credit for brave actions in his willingness to take down OBL and other enemies to our liberties. Perhaps his motives are purely political, but I am not going to complain when the results are positive.

And may I never have to share a fox hole with some of the people around here.

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Any person that thinks they are strong personalities and tough guy and is not truly touched by this story are phonies or just lack a heart and soul.

I am an old time Veteran who has had to take life to preserve life and peace and was very touched.

Therefore, I ask that everyone reexamine the term Pro Life and figure out how they could be against it.

Every life is a pro, our responsibility is to take care of that life and foster their strengths and show then how to overcome their weakness’s.

MSGTAS on October 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM

PackerBronco on October 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Awesome quote and so apropos to the subject. Thank you.

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

Hog Wild on October 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

We would not expect you and others to understand…it is your lot in life to stand on the sidelines and not participate in this beautiful, glorious moment of love.
You and others, cannot put out the light, light overcomes darkness…

Jhn 1:5….The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood…

right2bright on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Using it to push one agenda or another, is wrong

If you want to use that as a political football

Just go are read, really read, any single BHO speech and see prime examples of people’s ‘compelling’ life stories used to advance/support a political position. So once again – if the left uses it – it is a good thing, if the right does it – it is wrong.

Your statement is not based in any fact what-so-ever and it also goes to the basis of this story. We are not privy to the medical diagnosis and prognosis the mother was given. Thus she may not have not ended her life early but by not doing anything but be hopeful and mindful of the new life she was giving life to – she may have actually prolonged her life more than she would have, had she chosen the other courses. We are not her and thus do not know everything she was told and the facts she used to make her decision. Suicide is the act to intentionally end one’s life – she was postponing the medical intervention that may not have added a single second to her life. Emotional harm is able to be overcome – most especially with God, but even without – all one has to do is try. Under your ‘irreparable harm’ philosophy – no one should live at all – what a dismal perspective of life and life events.

All tragic, and not worthy of celebration.

It is a shame that you don’t get it – I am one of many (my wife is another – we each have siblings too) who were given a chance at life by mothers in situations that were overwhelming. We gave our parents the families they wanted, we have children and thus life has gone on, all that due to the positive choice that women in hard situations made. Roe v Wade said ‘during the first trimester the decision is between the mother and her doctor (i.e. right to privacy – which is NOT a right but established medical law) – it is the Left who continues to make it a ‘political football’.

jackal40 on October 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM

This comment is likely to make me unpopular yet I feel compelled to say – where is the father?

The mother didn’t list him on the birth certificate and her brother has guardianship. There was apparently never a question of who would get Dottie Mae if the mother should die – it was always the brother.

It is tragic that this woman had to get cancer like this at a time in her life when she should have been experiencing great joy. And it is equally tragic that Dottie Mae will never truly know the mother who gave her own life for her.

I just do have to wonder … where is the father and why has no one here mentioned it?

KrisinNE on October 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM

KrisinNE on October 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM

You should read the article. He left her. The father’s behavior, though reprehensible to me, doesn’t change the dynamics of the story one bit.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Heh. Tina and Ed are Christians, so naturally, the way they approach the news will be from that perspective. And AP approaches it from his renowned beta-male candy-ass perspective.

These idiots (bless their hearts) are always welcome to debate beliefs, but to just drop in and crap on our beliefs naturally makes me want to pop these Alyinskites just for general purposes. They are no different from the Westboro group going around to funerals just to sh!t on the memory of the dead.

But then after the initial impulse, I realize that behind the words, they’re just pathetic lost souls that are driven to lash out. They literally have nothing to look forward to after their brief moment in the universe.

AH_C on October 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

PackerBronco on October 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Excellent quote from Lincoln. And apropos to several of the moral issues today

AH_C on October 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I did read the article linked above and it doesn’t say anything about the father, only that The single mother-to-be….

I never said it changes the story, I just wondered about the clear absence of a father for Dottie Mae to be turned over to.

KrisinNE on October 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If you are anti-choice then you’re really anti-freedom and pro-fascism, plus you’re also for government intrusion into our private lives.

To try to bully/terrorize individuals to adhering to your (religious) beliefs is the essences of fascism, no matter how nicely you put it and how many emotional stories you attach to it.

With that being said although I’m 100% pro-choice as I’m sure you’ve gathered, I will share a special ‘pro-life’ story.

My sister is one of those people who makes very bad life decisions and doesn’t think things through or listens to sound advice. She went on vacation to another country, got pregnant (eventually married the guy) but was in no position to take care of a child, let alone herself.

She had no job and was completely reliant on our family for support (neither was the husband because he was essentially a new immigrant when they came back-though they’re both highly educated).

She was contemplating getting an abortion and my father and I did our best to encourage her to have one because we knew she’d be a burden on the rest of us. Anyways other people talked her into keeping the child.

So she had her baby and as expected, she was a burden on the family but fortunately she soon eventually found work and was able to take care of herself and her family.

I don’t have children of my own so I treat my niece as if she’s my daughter. She is extremely special to me and although an abortion was the right decision at the time, I am actually very glad that she kept her baby or I wouldn’t have an amazing niece right now.

In our case we were lucky because my sister, despite her drawbacks, is very independent and found work, but usually the extended family gets stuck with the mistake of their deadbeat daughters and everyone else suffers for it.

thinkagain on October 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

thinkagain on October 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I fail to see the point of your post. Crimm deciding to put her child first is anti-choice? Always choosing abortion if there is the slightest chance of “inconvenience” is pro-choice? What?

And please don’t ever tell your niece you wanted her executed because the family didn’t want to be “burdened”. Kudos to your sister though for choosing life even if she isn’t the perfect parent. At least she apparently understands life is precious and anyone else’s opinion on what is a valuable life or not is irrelevant.

NotCoach on October 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM

KrisinNE on October 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM

You also wondered why no one mentioned it. Sorry if I got the impression that was something of an admonition to the commenters here. I meant nothing along the lines you’re thinking. When I read a story like this with unanswered questions, it isn’t hard to find another article with for info. I found the information about the father here. No disrespect intended.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I think what this woman did is utterly contemptible. This strikes me as another reason that pro-life values are wrong-headed and a reason to be ashamed.

thuja on October 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM

thinkagain on October 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Your comment is just rife with brow-knitting wonderment. Wouldn’t even know where to begin.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM

thuja on October 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Wow, this is a surprize. thuja reads an article about a mother that sacficies her life for her unborn baby and calls the action something that should be looked at with shame. Same thoughtful commenter that shilled to spare the murderer Troy Davis’s life.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM

powerful…thanks for sharing this

jediwebdude on October 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM

thinkagain on October 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

It’s not just the extended families. It’s all 53% of us. The tax payers end up paying for all the welfare babies who are then raised to think that they should just be provided for by the government. Pro-lifers aid the socialists in creating a larger welfare class.

thuja on October 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM

hawkdriver on October 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Dude, I strongly support the death penalty, and I supported Troy Davis’s execution. Could you show me where I did otherwise? Perhaps I left out a word or something?

thuja on October 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM