Texas students taught to recite Mexican pledge of allegiance

posted at 11:25 am on October 17, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In the name of educating students about a foreign culture, a teacher in McAllen, Tex., required students in her intermediate Spanish class to memorize and individually recite the Mexican national anthem and pledge of allegiance — but one student objected, catching the attention of the school district and The Blaze, which reported the story this morning.

Fifteen-year-old Brenda Brinsdon refused to complete the assignment and, instead, complained to the teacher, principal and, eventually, with the help of her father, William, the school district superintendent. The response of the teacher? Reyna Santos explained that she grew up in Mexico and loved the country. The response of the principal? Yvette Cavazo told Brinsdon it was part of the curriculum and she should participate. The response of the school district superintendent? School district spokesman Mark May told The Blaze the assignment was no different than memorizing a poem or a passage of Shakespeare.

Brinsdon was particularly bothered by the timing of the assignment, which came last month during “Freedom Week,” the week after the Tenth Anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. In fact, the assignment came on Constitution Day itself — the same day as Mexico’s Independence Day.

Said Brinsdon’s father: “Our kids don’t even know the [American] national anthem and here we are … teaching them to memorize and perform the national anthem for Mexico. I just think it’s so backwards.”

He also objected to May’s characterization of the assignment as just another memorization exercise, saying that that cheapens the notion of a pledge. “You‘re taking their allegiance and their oath from Mexico and cheapening it just as a grade or words [that] don’t mean anything,” he said.

To the school district’s credit, Brinsdon wasn’t forced to participate: She was given an alternate assignment — an essay on the history of the Mexican revolution.

Here’s a thought: Why not just study the Mexican pledge of allegiance? Read it in a textbook, diagram its sentences, dissect its meaning. Certainly it makes sense to study the culture of other countries. But leave the out-loud recitation of any kind of loyalty oath for the U.S. pledge of allegiance (which, interestingly enough, is increasingly less recited in U.S. schools). You can bet plenty of students in non-English-speaking competitive countries (a) learn English, (b) study the political, economic and cultural systems of the United States and (c) never recite the U.S. pledge of allegiance in school.

If the point is to memorize and recite a passage in Spanish (it was a Spanish class, after all), recite a translation of the U.S. pledge. That’s what we did in my Spanish 3 class in high school and it stuck with me …

Juro fidelidad a la bandera de los Estados Unidos de America y a la república que simboliza, una nación bajo Dios, indivisible con libertad y justicia para todos.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Interesting. In all my years of German language classes, both high school & college, we focused on literature (after basic grammar and words), not oaths or anthems.

rbj on October 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

To do that would be SOOOO status quo broooooo

gotta like

push the envelope brooooo

spark thoughts and start conversations brooooo

blatantblue on October 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I will allow my kidsto learn that right after they recite the 10 Commandments in school.

VegasRick on October 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I’d settle for the Tenth Amendment.

Meh on October 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Yes, you heard that right, in all my infinite wisdom I took French in school instead of Spanish…..

tpw on October 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I refused to learn Spanish or even participate with it in any way. I figured if I had to learn a European language, I’d go for French, Italian and German (also, Latin but I don’t remember too much of that, sure it would come back to me, though, if required). Because Spanish (as is Italian) is an outgrowth of the German language to begin with so once you know German, you can figure out the other European languages with some effort.

Now, the Hawaiian language, I like that one because it’s nearly impossible to pronounce and it’s local. But it’s very rewarding to try to learn it — phrases often repeated in Hawaiian become second nature, though spelling it is an eye-rolling experience.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I find it hard to believe there aren’t some noteworthy Spanish language poets or writers the students could choose from who may be even more historically relevant.

taznar on October 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

George Lopez?

VegasRick on October 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

In Arabic class in college we NEVER stood up alone in class and recited the Egyptian National Anthem.

blatantblue on October 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

There is no excuse for this. Cease and desist.

Amjean on October 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

rbj on October 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

That’s right.

This whole indoctrination thing as to Spanish is coming from the iran-South-American-Central-American infiltration thing. It’s not enough to learn the language, the demand is that one “agree with” what is put to paper, whatever it may be. Very wrong process for public education.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Lourdes – Spanish, French, Italian are all Romance languages, i.e. based on Latin. The Germanic family of languages are a whole nother animal.

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM

blatantblue on October 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Obviously. Because you are all racist xenophobes who are afraid of swarthy middle Eastern men seducing your milfy Long Island women!1! /

Meh on October 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM

taznar on October 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Pablo Neruda? He was a poet from South America (wrote and spoke Spanish) and reading his poems in Spanish is a good way to…uhh, forget it, guy was a Communist – though Neruda’s poetry is used in some public universities to amplify learning the Spanish language. Seems the Communist process if just everywhere.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Thanks, I knew that, I just got confused. Really, it’s been a while since college.

Germanic family of languages appeared as issue when I attempted to learn “Olde English” as a language and withdrew eventually not completing the course. But learning German really opened the door to learning Italian and French. I also find German much more easy to pronounce than the others.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Ah, German – the language of love.
:D

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Ah, German – the language of love.
:D

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Truly, it is. Highly, immensely expressive.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

One nit to pick here – Spanish, as well as Italian and French are all outgrowths of Latin, not German, hence the term Romance [Roman] Languages . They are what Latin, combined with the local languages, morphed into in each area over time, similar to how we can hardly understand spoken Chaucerian English, how Americans and Englishmen can sometimes not understand each other due to grammatical quirks and odd vocubulary.

I’ve managed to avoid learning any Spanish over the years, but have taken at least a year of French, Italian, German, Latin, and Russian.

To be quite honest, I’d rather have my kids learning Japanese or Russian than Spanish. And (to get back sort of on topic) I’d never want them to have to recite any of those countries’ pledges. A translation of ours is fine, but they don’t need to be swearing fealty to Moscow or Tokyo.

LibraryGryffon on October 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

For extra credit, they can learn this:

Los hijos de Sandino
ni se venden ni se rinden
luchamos contra el yankee
enemigo de la humanidad

Mr. D on October 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I also find German much more easy to pronounce than the others.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

What’s the French guy from Casablanca name? Oh, he’s quoted all the time….

Oil Can on October 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

In the 1970′s I took four years of Russian in high school from a husband and wife teaching team that had escaped from the Soviet Bloc. After coming to America they spent their first 10 years here teaching Russian and other Slavic languages at the Defense Language School in CA. The husband also trained Special Forces in Soviet Bloc social customs, etc.

I guarantee you that we NEVER sang the Internationale or pledged anything to the Soviet Union beyond our enmity. In addition to reading classic Russian literature, he encouraged us to read plenty of Solzhenitsyn. My kind of legal immigrant.

in_awe on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

In the spirit of a new people that is conscious not only of its proud historical heritage but also of the brutal gringo invasion of our territories, we, the Chicano inhabitants and civilizers of the northern land of Aztlan from whence came our forefathers, reclaiming the land of their birth and consecrating the determination of our people of the sun, declare that the call of our blood is our power, our responsibility, and our inevitable destiny. … Aztlan belongs to those who plant the seeds, water the fields, and gather the crops and not to the foreign Europeans. … We are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent, we are a nation, we are a union of free pueblos, we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

LibraryGryffon on October 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Truly, I know that but the information escaped my sense when writing that first comment misidentifying language associations. I have been up/awake quite a while and should just go get some sleep. Sorry for the wrong statement, I realized what I’d written (wrongly) afterward, and as “whatcat” also pointed out.

MY POINT was, what I was focused on when writing that first comment was that after learning German, the other European languages were much easier to grasp, or simply figure out once some vocabulary was acquired, what with German assisting the process.

I agree as to Spanish. I think if you imagine a limited future for your children, you’ll ask them to learn it but if one wants other things in life for them, then learn something more challenging and dimensional in history and literature, such as German, also Mandarin seems to be the latest tool of use for business.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

…we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

If they conclude they “own” North America, and there’s no place for “the Europeans,” why the heck are they all so insistent on speaking and demanding others speak a European language, Spanish?

They make no sense, in any language.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I took German in High School. What if my German teacher had made us say the German pledge of allegiance?

Why not teach the students the American pledge of allegiance but spoken in spanish?

kurtzz3 on October 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Oil Can on October 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Capt. Louis Renault?

Christien on October 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Why do we need Spanish classes in school? All you have to do is buy something in this country and read the labels or instructions to learn Spanish. Or read signs on public transportation, buildings, or forms.

Deanna on October 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

In the name of educating students about a foreign culture

What do you mean “foreign”? We are talking about Texas, right?

RedRedRice on October 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Stupid idea, stupid teacher, stupid principal.

Sad that only one student was awake enough/gave enough of a sh*t to speak up.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

They make no sense, in any language.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

They’ve fooled themselves into thinking they’re somehow “natives”, and not equally as European as the people they hate.

Leftists are masters at cognitive dissonance, especially if it gives them a reason to hate.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Considering how close McAllen is to the border and Texas’ welcoming attitude toward illegal aliens, the majority of these students are probably Mexican nationals.

In 15 years Texas will be where California is today: looking at Ohio and Michigan with envy.

bw222 on October 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

My private school in San Antonio required Spanish 3rd-8th grade, then three years of any foreign language in 9th-12th, where most kids continued Spanish. Plus, one year of Latin was required.

The upper class anglos here have always considered it necessary for business, trade, and running a household or ranch. TX is the number one exporting state, and it’s largely because of trade with Mexico.

However, we never recited the Mexican pledge or sang their anthem. We studied the cultures and histories of Spain and Latin America, but the only pledge we recited in Spanish class was a little kiddie version of the US pledge: “roja, blanca y azul–que bonita la bandera…”

juliesa on October 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

What’s the big deal? They are all Mexicans anyway.

tetriskid on October 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Wow! Some of the posters on this thread are really showing their stripes.

I live in El Paso, I’m married to a man of Mexican and Dutch heritage. His mother was born and grew up in NEW MEXICO, her parents migrated from Mexico. His father was Dutch, born in Arkansas, met his mother here because they were both in the military.

I guess my husband and my daughter “are just Mexicans anyway”. And you, are a JERK. Exactly what nationality is that again?

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

When that same teacher covers WW II she would likely want the students to recite the German soldier pledge to Adolph Hitler:

The Wehrmacht Oath of Loyalty to Adolf Hitler, 2 August 1934

“I swear by God this sacred oath that to the Leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces, I shall render unconditional obedience and that as a brave soldier I shall at all times be prepared to give my life for this oath.”

scrubjay on October 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Mexico’s Independence Day is September, 16th (“Dies y Seis”), not September, 18th. I don’t think it’s a big deal, so long as they’ve also learned the US pledge and the Star Spangled Banner.

Ward Cleaver on October 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

What’s the matter everyone…

… La Raza has been teaching this garbage throuhg MEChA classes for decades, and you have been paying for it.

Why all the sudden outrage…?

Seven Percent Solution on October 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Christien on October 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Oil Can on October 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Does this reflect on Perry? You’re heartless.

Mirimichi on October 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I agree. My wife is 1/4 Mexican, and my kids are 1/8. I grew up with lots of Mexican-American kids, which were most of my friends. I’m sympathetic to people who want to escape the poverty, corruption, and violence down there, but we should be encouraging the Mexican government and people to work to fix their own problems. There are plenty of Mexican-Americans who love this country, and also want the borders secured.

Ward Cleaver on October 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Note the names. Enough said.

RebeccaH on October 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

The reason I sent this to the Tips line (hoping it would make the discussion here)is to see some opinions regarding the loss of citizenship in line with the following:

Losing your citizenship

For a natural-born citizen, losing your citizenship is actually quite difficult. The law prohibits the taking of your citizenship against your will, but there are certain actions a citizen can take which are assumed to be a free-will decision that constitutes a voluntary renunciation of the citizenship.

Moving to another country for an extended period of time does not constitute an act that presumes renunciation. Neither does taking a routine-level job with a foreign government. This stand is quite different from U.S. policy of the past, where even being naturalized in another nation could be seen as renunciation. The sections of the law that pertained to losing ones nationality for many of these cases was found at 8 USC 1482 and related sections.

The U.S. Code does, however, see some acts as creating the possibility of a loss of nationality. When you lose your U.S. nationality, you are no longer under the protection or jurisdiction of the United States. When the United States considers you to no longer be of U.S. nationality, it in effect considers you to no longer be a citizen. Note that these are things you can do that may force you to lose your citizenship. The law also says that these acts must be voluntary and with the intent of losing U.S. citizenship. The ways to lose citizenship are detailed in 8 USC 1481:
•Becoming naturalized in another country
Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country•Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
•Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
•Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
•Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
•By being convicted of committing treason

News2Use on October 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

But Mexican culture is sooo much greater than ours, remember Pablo Lockheed?

Speakup on October 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Stupid idea, stupid teacher, stupid principal.

Sad that only one student was awake enough/gave enough of a sh*t to speak up.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

+100, you racist! ///

Gang-of-One on October 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM

^

News2Use on October 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM
——

Yeah, because saying the words out loud in Spanish class in the presence of a teacher is swearing allegiance to Mexico.

Duh.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Stupid idea, stupid teacher, stupid principal.

Sad that only one student was awake enough/gave enough of a sh*t to speak up.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

+100, you racist! ///

Gang-of-One on October 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM
——

Stupid people are not a race.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I’d settle for the Tenth Amendment.

Heh, I’d rather settle for civics classes that included studying the Constitution, Federalist Papers, the Anti-federalist Papers and Madison’s notes at minimum.

jasetaro on October 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I live in this district and most of the students are Mexican citizens. Luckily, there are good alternatives for middle and high school students. Most of the school year is spent taking sample TAKS tests and making posters on why we need to share our resources with the countries who can’t be bothered finding their own. Every year they required the students to write down what they were going to do personally to reduce global warming. Our family decided to up our water and electrical use. We figured since everyone else was reducing their consumption, we could up ours.
In 2009, the middle and high schools forced the kids to watch the inauguration and told the children they had to stand. My kid and a few of his friends refused and the teachers were so busy crying and hugging each other, they let it go.

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I assume Mexico has a right of return? Please exercise it.

Mason on October 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

But we have to feed, clothe, and educate them here in America, right Rick and Anita Perry?

SouthernGent on October 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Ward Cleaver on October 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Totally agree. I hate that illegal immigration is so out of control and so prevalent in Texas, but we are on the border, and Mexico is a dangerous place right now and it’s Government is corrupt and backwards. A majority of the Mexican immigrants in this Country are legal, and many of them are no closer to their Mexican ancestors than most of us are to our European ones.

Many of the posters on this thread have no idea what they are talking about, and are coming across as racist jerks, and giving HotAir a bad name. This site has truly changed over the last year, and really attracting some scumbag “so called Conservatives” that are no better than the Liberals they claim to hate.

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

SouthernGent on October 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The courts decided this one. RIck wants to charge them the Texas rate, hell, if they used their foreign status, they’d probably get automatic admission and a free ride.

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM

She’s too busy working the water out of her ears from the trip to here. Guess who paid her tuition once she made it to TX.

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I don’t know anything about her history or how she got here, but I do know that I’ve being hearing for 40+ years about the “poor la-si-toes” who risk their lives coming across the border illegally for a better life…

I believe that those that advocate for Mexico’s exploitation of their poor as an export to the US are supporting a racist policy of the Mexican ruling class. We don’t see Castillian blood lines coming across the border “seeking a better life”. Instead those who advocate for such things need to step on the other side of the border and put their efforts where the problem is. I think it’s unconscionable to support a policy that any native of any country has to leave their home in order to pursue a better life. It’s time to stop supporting it and removing such madness.

Texas Gal on October 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Were any of the students 18 years of age?

USC 1481. (a) A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality

(2) taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after having attained the age of eighteen years

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

And many of us know exactly what we are talking about. I doubt you have much experience with the actual border and the real issues. Do you know how many time a week different border bridges are closed due to shootouts? How about the kidnappings of people in the US which are never reported? Need I continue?

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

This was a walkthru of renunciation of US citizenship.

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM
———-

Dear clown:

Saying the words out loud in Spanish class does not mean you are actually taking a f*cking oath.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Nonsense.

The large majority of illegals are in fact Mexican or other latin countries. It is a solid conservative principle to want the rule of law – ie arrest and deportation of all illegals. It is a solid principle of the left to import – legally or otherwise – the poor of other nations who are proved to be amenable to the left’s message of socialism.

That Mexico is in such dire straights is a Mexican problem, not a burden the American taxpayers have to bear, nor should they be forced to fund flat-out La Raza propaganda.

I think you’ve drunk too deep from the identity politics well.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

whatcat on October 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM
—-

OH PLEASE DO TELL US, WHO PAID FOR HER TUITION?

Because we know all immigrants leech off the state, right?

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM

taznar on October 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I know a Spanish teacher in this district who didn’t even know who Cervantes was.

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I don’t have a problem with the national anthem, but do with the pledge of allegiance. If you go to a hockey game against the Canadians or Maple Leafs, they sing the Canadian national anthem at American stadiums. The words are even displayed on the jumbo screens. However, there is no reason to know, memorize or understand their pledge. That should be sacred to the people of their country and has no benefit to the students.

djaymick on October 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM

You do realize that the SCOTUS mandated that illegals be educated K-12.

Sorry all taxpayers are paying for it – not just Texas.

gophergirl on October 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You realize I’m talking about college tuition. If not you may want to look at Perry’s record of funding illegals with tax money. We need a real conservative who will not make a mockery of our tax system.

hanzblinx on October 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

What does writing an essay on the history of the Mexican revolution have to do with speaking Spanish?

paulsur on October 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Because we know all immigrants leech off the state, right?

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Every ILLEGAL alien is a leech on the state the second they step foot over the border.

portlandon on October 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Funny thing… I was saying to Mrs. Crazy Legs this morning that I’m going to be a lot of fun at parent-teacher conferences.

crazy_legs on October 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM

bifidis on October 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I guess this assclown thinks posting in bold makes him look smarter.

It doesn’t.

pain train on October 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Except, as shown in the video, they stood at attention and put thier arm out and performed the pledge, and sang the anthem- instead of just translating and reciting them for understanding and pronunciation.

And was there really a need to get profane about US Code being simply quoted?

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I LIVE IN EL PASO, TEXAS STUPID!!!! I WAS BORN IN EL PASO, TEXAS !!! I know more than you do!!!!I hate all of this!!! All I was saying is that people on this board are calling everyone in Texas border schools “all Mexicans,” and putting us down! I am an anglo, blonde, blue-eyed woman married to a second generation American, half anglo, half hispanic man. We have a blonde blue-eyed daughter who attends a very good Texas public high school, and her classmates are not Mexican nationals, or illegals, I’m sure there are some, but we don’t know any that go to school with her.

I do not think this is Rick Perry’s or any other Texas citizen’s fault that some idiot La Raza teacher is making kids recite the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance. They should refuse to do this! I have friends who have family members who have been killed by those border shootings that you think you know so much about! I can no longer go over the bridges to Mexico for business or any other reason because I am afraid to go over there and it takes too long. I live 3 miles from City Hall where a stream of bullets went through the windows a year ago. I can see Juarez, Mexico from my house!! NEED I CONTINUE?

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM

No student should be made to recite the pledge of allegiance of any other country. It just isn’t right. Have them study the pledge if you must, but don’t make them recite it.

Missy on October 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Since this was a Spanish language class, why did they do Mexico‘s pledge and anthem instead of Spain‘s?

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Does the French class in that school, push Canadian culture, pledges and anthems instead of that directly of France?

Does the German class push Austria over actual Germany?

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM

…A majority of the Mexican immigrants in this Country are legal, and many of them are no closer to their Mexican ancestors than most of us are to our European ones.

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

40% of Hispanic Americans want the laws enforced
and favor attrition through enforcement, which works just fine according to this illegal worker on his way home.

Why do most politicians think the GOP has to cater to the 60% that don’t? They get less than 30% of that “bloc” vote, anyway.

Why not stand on principle, and try for 40%??

fred5678 on October 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This is fine because MEXICO would force THEIR students to recite the American Pledge during the same curriculum right? NOT. This is completely unacceptable and it went too far. Theres nothing wrong with learning it but pretending to be Mexican is inappropriate.

tx2654 on October 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

And was there really a need to get profane about US Code being simply quoted?

pwadams on October 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM
—-

Saying the words out loud in Spanish class at “attention and put thier arm out” IN FRONT OF A SPANISH TEACHER does not mean you are actually taking a f*cking oath.

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Meh. It’s Spanish class. The suggestions of studying the pledge or reciting a translation of the American pledge are valid, but I don’t see it as a political issue. In my Spanish classes we studied the cultures of Spanish-speaking countries in addition to the language itself. This strikes me as no different.

OneGyT on October 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Alternate headline:

“Another reason Rick Perry won’t be the Republican nominee.”

Theworldisnotenough on October 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Why doesn’t (bronze) La Raza protest against the ruling class of Mexico — you, know, the (white) Spanish-descent government which quashes native peoples?

fred5678 on October 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Since this was a class on Spanish, perhaps they should have studied the Spanish National Anthem and Pledge (if there is one).
Or, is Castillian too difficult for the instructor?

Another Drew on October 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Much ado about nothing.

Y-not on October 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Stupid people are not a race.
Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM

you are right, you and them are a collection of cells that fell far short of average

Sonosam on October 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Why not stand on principle, and try for 40%??

I think they are afraid of being disliked and called racist by the 60%, just like our Republican representatives are afraid of being disliked by the Dems in DC. Even the LEGAL immigrants, especially the ones with money and an education don’t like illegal immigration. They worked hard to get here legally, and many of them have moved their families and businesses to this Country because of the violence going on in Mexico at this time. Many of them are probably working to become citizens and they are ripe for the picking for the GOP. They are conservative, religious and hard working, and once they become citizens, are ready-made for the Republican party.

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

If you would like an excellent way to both refresh your knowledge of well-written Spanish and keep up with compelling social commentary, day after day, then I’d recommend link to the website of Yoani SánchezGeneration Y at the Desde Cuba portal.

It is blocked in Cuba, but her writings steadily memorialize for the world the stark and tragic reality of “modern” Cuba.

Here is the link to English language version. And here is the Spanish language link. She also frequently posts in Spanish on Twitter. The short posts are actually fun to translate.

The ongoing commentary of Generation Y is written by her and emailed abroad, where it is translated into 17 languages and posted on the internet. This remarkably courageous and modern Cuban native, a young woman who was classically trained in Philology, has lived her entire life — save a few key formative years in Switzerland — under the heel of the Cuban totalitarian system. Since her return to Cuba several years ago, the regime has repeatedly denied her several requests to travel abroad again, often having been invited to receive international awards for her work.

In spite of it all, she has stood up and repeatedly exposed the shortcomings of the Cuban regime, including exposing the many cases of the jailed Cuban political dissidents.

About a year ago, she even took on the secret police, thugs who had been assigned by the Castro brothers government to keep an eye on her!

For example, she detailed how they had beaten her once, when she and her husband were attempting to attend a protest demonstration in Havana.

Thereafter, she got in the faces of the thugs hanging around her home spying on her, and actually snapped photos of them all, which she then published on her website. One of them asked her if she was crazy, as she was taking his photo.

Who among us would have that sort of courage?

The totalitarian Cuban regime doesn’t quite know what to do with her, as she is quite well known internationally. Here is her profile from her website.

Hers is the sort of stuff that should be taught in Spanish classes in American schools . . . not having some moron require a class to memorize the Mexican pledge!

Through local classes and seminars, Yoani is also steadily teaching a new generation of Cubans to blog and to reach out to the world. She has also published a magazine, Consenso, which was later called Contodos which was dedicated to free expression. She began that when she returned to Cuba from Switzerland.

Hers is just one of many ways to inspire people to connect, through language, by tirelessly communicating the eternal values inherent in those who yearn for freedom, wherever they can be found.

Trochilus on October 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

When I was learning Chinese, I *did* end up learning the Chinese national anthem, although that was because my dorm in China was next to the college’s athletic and exercise field, and the anthem was played over loudspeakers before morning announcements and calisthenics.

But in Chinese class? Nope. We just learned about Gao Kai, Yuehan (the foreigner) and their various adventures :)

foobarista on October 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM

My mainland brothers are coming ;)

Be afraid…be very afraid…hide your daughters, my brothers are coming!

ernesto on October 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Right-o. Because my daughters are all very good shots – and we wouldn’t want to see your “mainland brothers” get hurt.

Good groundskeepers are hard to find.

Solaratov on October 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Wasn’t he Don Quixote’s partner when they were riding around tilting at lighthouses…or something like that?

sdd on October 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Crap like this is one of the many reasons why I flat-out refuse to learn Spanish.
This isn’t Mexico-it’s the US
If you love Mexico so much that you feel the need to have US high school students recite the Mexican pledge-out loud-then you probably shouldn’t have left it.

Btw:I took French in high school, can speak and understand a bit of Yiddish, and intend to learn German.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Missy on October 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Absolutely! When I taught in public school we had several foreign exchange students in my homeroom. I could tell they were uncomfortable with the Pledge of Alleigence and I quickly told them that they were not required to recite the pledge. All I asked of them was to stand respectfully by their desks while the American students recited the pledge. It was never a problem.

sdd on October 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM

…we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

They make no sense, in any language.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Because they don’t know, understand or speak their native language.
They are a conquered people whose original language was erased by their Spanish conquerors.

Rest assured, however, that they’d make no sense in their native language, either.

Solaratov on October 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Really?

Since Mexico is filled with, you know, Mexicans, and that country is a hellhole of corruption, sloth, and socialism, what magic is performed by the border that transforms them into perfect little Americans, and what is it about Mexico that steals their “conservative, religious and hard working” ethic?

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

We’re coming for your milfy Long Island white ladies next! muahahahaha!

ernesto

You are a pathetic little man, ernesto.

Gothguy on October 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Dave Rywall on October 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM

It’s kind of fun watching his progression from simply insulting — to obscenely insulting — to hysterically, obscenely insulting WHILE SHOUTING IN CAPS!!!

What’s next? Threats?

Solaratov on October 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

First of all, that is not the full quote. I am talking about the hard working, upper middle to upper class, law abiding, educated citizens that leave Mexico legally, cross the border in El Paso, Texas, legally, and start their lives over in our Country. Some of them have literally moved their restaurants, and businesses over here, legally, and are now english speaking, law abiding residents of our Country. Many of them seek and earn American citizenship to become outstanding members of our society, and most of them are conservative, religious and hard working. If they aren’t becoming Republicans, they should be, as they have very little in common with Democrats.

There are good people and bad people everywhere. Mexico is a hellhole, but it’s that way because their government is corrupt and in the pockets of the drug kingpins. Illegal immigration to the US is just one of the awful effects of what goes on over there, because there are always those who cannot afford to acquire the proper documentation and those who don’t care to, that want to come here for a better life. If our Federal government would help the border states to seal that border with a fence and manpower, we might be able to manage the problem. Putting all their citizens under one umbrella and saying they are all corrupt and lazy is pretty narrow minded.

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Then you’re not talking about this topic.

You created a strawman, and went all emotionally nuts on it.

Fact is, there is a strong movement, by Mexicans both legal and illegal, to take back what was “stolen” from Mexico – Texas, California, other states. This teacher was propagandizing her students into this movement. Mexicans feel that Americans owe them, for some reason – we don’t.

The fact that Mexico is corrupt, is an internal matter of the Mexican people, and Americans shouldn’t be expected to pay for it. We accepted many millions of Mexican legal immigrants, and we’ve already had one amnesty. We are done with Mexicans, time for them to put their own house in order, and to stop expecting America to bail them out, or thinking they’re going to take back even one square inch of our soil.

Rebar on October 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

If she “loves” Mexico buy her a bus ticket and deliver her butt to the border. Enough of this crap.

rplat on October 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Why are they all flashing the Fascist High Five salute at 1:43min!?! Since when does Mexico require the Nazi Salute as part of its pledge of allegiance??

EasyEight on October 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Spanish Class. Get over it.

mythicknight on October 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I don’t know my Texas history but isn’t its history filled with Spanish speaking Texans? And weren’t its founding documents published in both English and Spanish reflecting the two major cultures in the region?

So if a Texas Spanish teacher wanted to draw upon historical or political documents to teach from Texas history, to teach Texas patriotism?

SPCOlympics on October 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Susanboo on October 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

So why do the border region continue to vote democrat in every election? Local, state, and national.
example – 2008 presidential election results

lonestar1 on October 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Why didn’t the “educators” force the students to recite the Spanish national anthem and pledge of allegiance since they were taking Spanish?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Would they have forced them to recite the Austrian national anthem and pledge of allegiance if they were taking German?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Mexico is such a crap hole that 1/4 of it’s own people have left it.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM