Elizabeth Warren: “I’m going for the hick vote”

posted at 10:07 pm on October 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

I feel duty-bound to engage in a five-alarm partisan freakout, especially after the left’s doofy adoration of her parable of The Rich Man and the Factory, but she’s clearly joking about her own image. She was born and raised in Oklahoma City yet Scott Brown’s campaign will frame her as an avatar of snotty ivy-tower liberalism (remember when she sneered at him for paying his way through school with a Cosmo layout?), so now she’s having fun with the tension in those two identities. Quote via ABC:

“I’m a new category, an elite hick,” said Warren, on the “Left Ahead” podcast. “I don’t even know what to say about that one,” she said, laughing.

Hot Mike Ball then came back to the word “hick,” saying he had been called that in his lifetime too.

“If you’re going to be in the Senate, and we would like you to, as a fellow person who was born in Oklahoma and raised in West Virginia, I’ve been called a hick myself a lot. I’ve got to say I’d love to see you in office,” said Ball.

“I’m going for the hick vote here,” Warren answered. “I just want you to know. Maybe we could start wearing stickers that say ‘Hicks for Elizabeth’ – could we do that?” she asked.

Reminds me a bit of how Haley Barbour sometimes calls himself a “fat redneck” to mock his own public image. The difference is, whereas Barbour is winking at the fact that he’s the opposite of the fat redneck stereotype — he’s one of the canniest operators in Washington, needless to say — I think Warren really would like people to see more of the “hick” side of her. “Fat rednecks” hold plenty of populist charm for voters; bespectacled Harvard professors, not so much. The “hick” joke, I think, is her sly way of trying to get the media to write more about her southern roots so that she can leverage a little of that Barbour-esque authenticity.

Or maybe I’m wrong and the whole thing will backfire as Massachusetts’s “hick” demographic revolts. Exit question: Er, does Massachusetts have “hicks”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think she has the c*nt vote cornered.

Vegi on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I’m sure she was born & raised big city style, which OC is.
Hicks are usually like ‘country folks’ & the label hick is f#$%^g insulting.
We country folks might joke about being hicks, but we don’t like being labeled as such.
WTF really thinks this is going to get you votes from the ‘country’?!
So f$%^ you b!t@h!

Badger40 on October 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM

of course, mika doesn’t see anything wrong with this but if a gop candidate said this…all holy he|| would have broken loose

cmsinaz on October 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM

There are many more in ct, oddly enough. But, yea.
You really don’t get off the island much, do you?

eh on October 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I think we have enough Harvard in Washington.

ctmom on October 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I think she has the c*nt vote cornered.

Vegi on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Ha! Thanks for the laugh! Now to clean the coffee off the computer screen…

change is for suckers on October 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Heard she’s doing quite well, money wise. This is not a good sign for the current rino from that state.

Kissmygrits on October 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Us hicks we likes r wimmen a bit better lookin an a bit less screechin. She dont look that purdy but yu kin allus try an put enuff lipstick on any ol Ivy League pig to try an fool us hicks agin, I reckin.

MarkT on October 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The only “hicks” would be the out-of-state college students on scholarship, but they can’t vote anyway.

conservative pilgrim on October 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Oh yeah? I hear they vote early and often in some “progressive” locals. Then they go home and vote there also.

Qzsusy on October 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Badger40 on October 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Damn.

You’re blocking, tell us what you REALLY think.

runawayyyy on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I think she has the c*nt vote cornered.

Vegi on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

That’s a given. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on October 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Vegi on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Don’t like that crap when Bill Maher spews it out, don’t like it now.

Ryan Anthony on October 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

The little town I live in here in S.E. Mass is a little like deliverence. Sometimes I can even hear the dueling banjos.

Seriously though, I’m a little over 40 miles south of Boston and this here is Cranberry Country, nothing but cranberry bogs. We even have illegals to work the bogs.

There are just as many hicks as there are moonbats here, I’d have to say!

shanimal on October 18, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Just for the record, that ain’t hyperbole.

There are more than just a few concrete foundations with only the first floor deck built above them, a layer of tar paper over the plywood, with a Home Sweet Home sign nailed into it.

And residents that have a tough time distinguishing between their sisters and their cousins, their aunts and their grandmothers, IYNWIMAITTYD.

turfmann on October 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

JohnGalt23 on October 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Yes, Massachusetts does have hicks, mostly in western Massachusetts. My grandfather is from Worthington…

NathanG on October 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Lets not forget Southbridge, Easthampton, Warren, Ware… ;)

BTW, my Dad lives in Worthington now.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM

In Massachusetts I believe the hick part but the existence of Republicans will have to be proven.

bw222 on October 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

There actually are a few towns that are conservative strongholds – actual conservatives, not Scott Brown ones, although they did play a big role in getting him elected being the far lessor evil. Unfortunately they’re greatly outnumbered by the far left people in the cities and the rich burbs. Oddly, most of the “hick” towns here tend to be pretty left leaning, especially out in the western part of the state (they like free stuff). The more conservative towns are mostly old farm towns. Some of which are being or have been invaded by rich liberals.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM

HIX NIX STIX PIX

georgealbert on October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Yankee Doodle Dandy reference, nice

darwin-t on October 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Exit question: Er, does Massachusetts have “hicks”?

I’m certain they have morons.

Akzed on October 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM

…Now, let me tell you about the town of Stockbridge Mass, what we got going on here… JohnGalt23 on October 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Walk right in it’s around the back,
Just a half a mile from the railroad track…

Akzed on October 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM

There actually are a few towns that are conservative strongholds – actual conservatives, not Scott Brown ones, …. The more conservative towns are mostly old farm towns. Some of which are being or have been invaded by rich liberals.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM

You’ve defined my little town here in MA. Majority are registered Republicans. So far we’re holding our own against the influx of liberals.

Rod on October 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hick in our part of the country means a dumb country bumpkin, Mortimer Snerd if you will. So Elizabeth recognizes no one with intelligence will vote for her. (Those of you too young to remember Mortimer Snerd was a dummy for ventriloquist Edgar Bergen and played the part of a …………..Elizabeth Warren.

Herb on October 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Lets not forget Southbridge, Easthampton, Warren, Ware… ;)

BTW, my Dad lives in Worthington now.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Really? What’s his name? I don’t remember much of the names of towns around Worthington. We mostly drove through Cummington, Huntington, Northampton, and we visited Pittsfield.

NathanG on October 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I don’t know where she grew up but true “hicks” wouldn’t be able to read the ballot, so she had better have her picture attached to it.

rplat on October 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Heck, I’m from OKC (actually a small town just outside) too, and we just think of ourselves as the worlds biggest small town.

Lonevoice on October 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Lizzie is going to learn that ‘hicks’ don’t like being called ‘hicks’ by those who aren’t.

GarandFan on October 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I’m going to ask one last time, is that her real nose?

Mason on October 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Rod on October 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

That sounds like Lancaster to me ;)

NathanG on October 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I’d rather not post his name on the net. Besides, he’s turned to the dark side in his old age – or maybe it’s from living out there. But you probably wouldn’t know him anyway – he only moved out there relatively recently (less than 10 years).

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

She believes in and bloviates Marxist principles for $350K + per year.

Bevan on October 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM

She believes in and bloviates Marxist principles for $350K + per year.

Bevan on October 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Stalin might have grown up poor, be he certainly didn’t want for anything once he had power. “Some animals are more equal than others.”

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Elizabeth Warren: “I’m going for the (hic) vote”

Knott Buyinit on October 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Elizabeth Warren: “I’m going for the hick horrifying ex-wife vote”

roy_batty on October 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I’m in one too, right in the heart of metrowest.

roy_batty on October 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I’m in one too, right in the heart of metrowest.

roy_batty on October 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I’m not so lucky. Stuck in Worcester (for now), which is a slightly more “moderate” version of Cambridge – without the money. Which is to say, super liberal. For those that don’t know, Worcester is a city where the Chief of Police NEVER grants a LTC unless you’re one of his buddies and it’s actually illegal to carry a knife.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I think she has the c*nt vote cornered.
Vegi on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM
Ha! Thanks for the laugh! Now to clean the coffee off the computer screen…
change is for suckers on October 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hot Air readership still keeping it classy! Must be scary with all that talk of holding your corporate masters responsible for their actions.

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

There are “hicks” in Massachusetts?

I have no idea, but I will say that the only people I’ve ever heard call that big island south of Florida “Cuber” were Jim Nabors and JFK.

Knott Buyinit on October 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM

…which reminds me of another old joke:

Q: Why does JFK say “Cuber” and “Afriker”?

A: He has to do something with all of the r’s he leaves out of “Haavaad.”

Owen Glendower on October 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM

then how did Scott Brown manage to get elected? Or it was just an anomaly… or a fluke…

jimver on October 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I’m very interested in your statement. If certain bosses and CEOs are doing something illegal, yes. Otherwise, what exactly are you talking about?

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM

jimver on October 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

A few reasons. First, the Red Sox are a religion here. That may be a bit sarcastic, but not too far off for the “low info” voters (who usually just check the name next to the D). Then there was the impending ObamaCare vote – we know how that kind of health care system works around here. And Coakley made it pretty clear she felt entitle to the “Kennedy Seat” – that didn’t sit well. And, she was just a horrible candidate, no matter what her politics. Brown also did a great job of appealing to the blue collar crowd on the campaign trail, which always plays well around here There are more reasons, but those are some of the big ones.

Can he do it again? I don’t know – it’ll be close. One thing to keep in mind, while the state is definitely blue, there are a lot of independent voters too.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Oh, and the obvious one – Brown certainly isn’t far right.

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Here’s one example of an issue I would hope the new consumer protection agency, backed by Brown, would tackle.

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Oops! I meant Warren, of course.

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Somehow I doubt she’ll get this vote of this Western Mass guy:

OnlyOrange on October 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I’m guessing by using the “corporate masters” phrase that you likely voted for Obama in ’08 (and will again in ’12), so hopefully you’ll appreciate the comedy in providing a link that specifically criticizes Jeff Immelt, the CEO of GE. From your link:

“GE was indeed burdened by a pension plan — the plan for top executives (Immelt). The obligations of that plan, for a minuscule number of individuals compared with the 230,000 lower-level retirees, totaled $4.4 billion and had drained about $573 million from the corporate treasury over the past three years.”

Why it’s so comical is that Immelt is Obama’s “jobs czar,” and President Obama said GE was (direct quote) “a model of what’s possible” for American companies and workers.

Your vote directly supports the actions you’re against. Well done.

Anyway, per the first sentence in the link you provided, nothing illegal occurred. Which brings me back to my original question.

As a private citizen, what exactly are you (and “you” OWS plural) talking about doing to other private citizens to ensure they’re “held responsible for their actions”?

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Thanks for the Mass. update. Here’s hoping for Mass’ sake the people don’t blanket vote.

itsspideyman on October 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM

emz35 on October 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I don’t blame you. I didn’t think about that at all. I was just excited to know that someone lives there in my grandfather’s hometown. It’s a small world sometimes. For all I know I saw him at the local Corner Grocery Store there in town. Nice place for such a little community.
Anyhow, Worthington’s a very quiet little town without a lot of “local yokles” and I don’t know many who live there, except a couple of cousins. I’ve only been there three times in my almost 28 years of life. It’s a completely different world up there from Texas, and a great vacation spot really too. It was a lot better than our trip to Boston. I had enough of Boston after about 2 hours.

NathanG on October 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Your vote directly supports the actions you’re against. Well done.

If I could have projected such an appointment when I voted in 2008, it would have given me pause. I still think we’re infinitely better off than we would be under a Republican presidency.

rogerb on October 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM

The point is these types of actions should be illegal, and initiating that type of legislation would likely start with an agency that advocates for consumers.

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

it would have given me pause. I still think we’re infinitely better off than…

Wow. So your corporate masters then, eh? I didn’t expect that. Well done on admitting it. That’s the first step.

Constantine on October 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

So “holding your corporate masters responsible for their actions” was just partisan rabble rousing, especially since any laws or agencies that might be created would not be able to legislate past events.

Is that pretty accurate?

Maybe more importantly: Even with your new knowledge of who Immelt is and knowing what you claim to despise is an integral part of the Obama White House, you’ll depend on those same folks to fix it and you’ll vote for him again in 2012, right?

Corporate masters indeed.

Funny, that.

rogerb on October 19, 2011 at 12:05 AM

For all I know I saw him at the local Corner Grocery Store there in town.

NathanG on October 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

LOL – you use the term “grocery store” loosely. But yeah, I agree, it is a pretty cool little town.

emz35 on October 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I’m not the one shilling for corporations… that’s your chosen party’s turf: “Boehner’s policy prescriptions are expected to mirror the Republican Party’s long-running position that the key to jump starting growth is to get government out of the way and allow the private sector to do its thing. That means less regulation, lower taxes and big reductions in government spending.” (CNN, 9/15/11)
Really? Trickle-down theory has been failing since the 80′s, yet you guys keep thinking it’ll work if you try it just one more time…

I thought we were talking about the Warren race here, but if must go on a tangent… it’s hilarious that conservatives hail corporations and their leaders as job-creating heroes who just need a break. Unless, of course, they happen to work for the Obama administration. Then they’re part of The Problem. Want to talk about Walmart? Exxon-Mobil? Verizon? How about the oil industry as a whole, literally f*cking the agency that was supposed to regulate them, leading to lax oversight that resulted in the gulf oil spill? And the conservative solution is less regulation, and more “drill baby drill”? Smell what you’re shoveling.

Constantine on October 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I’m not the one shilling for corporations…

Please review your link and the connection to the man you put in power. Otherwise, wow. Way off topic, Constantine. Here’s where we left off:

I thought we were talking about the Warren race here

Yep. I asked a question, you responded and provided a link, I responded, you felt cornered because of the Immelt/Obama connection and lashed out.

Boehner wasn’t mentioned in your link. Immelt was. To refresh your memory:

The point is these types of actions should be illegal

The types of actions that Obama praised and job czar and, per your vote, proxy “corporate master” Immelt engages in.

Per your link.

Discuss, but please stay on the topic you chose to open until we’ve seen it through.

rogerb on October 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Immelt is your topic, one person mentioned in a review of a book about a common practice in many large corporations. It works for you, so you’re focusing on that.

I responded to your claim of “partisan rabble rousing” by giving you examples of corporate malfeasance. So to get back to the point… conservatives appear to oppose Warren because she intends to hold corporations accountable to consumers, and likely represents more rather than less regulation. Yes or no?

Constantine on October 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM

emz35 on October 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Heh. Yeah. I do use the term “grocery store” loosely. It’s, well, we’ll just say quaint. The store’s been there for like 115 years or something. They don’t have much there, but staples like milk and bread.

NathanG on October 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM