Audio: Howard Stern’s crew interviews Occupy Wall Street protesters

posted at 8:49 pm on October 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV. Given Stern’s reach and the otherwise adoring coverage of OWS, this may well be the biggest PR hit the movement’s taken so far. People are buzzing about this Quinnipiac poll out today showing that a heavy majority of New Yorkers agree with “the protesters’ views” — whatever those might be — but the numbers are a fait accompli. In the 2008 election, Brooklyn broke 79/20 for Obama; Manhattan 85/14; and the Bronx 88/11. So long as the protesters babble feelgood platitudes about “economic justice” and take care to ruin the quality of life only for those residents/businesses around Zuccotti Park, most of the City will be happy to attaboy ‘em. If they turn more aggressive and, heaven forbid, start to disrupt New Yorkers’ commutes, that’ll be endgame. The enlightened of NYC are all for toppling the system, please understand, but they don’t like to be inconvenienced while going about their business of running the system.

We’re still waiting for a list of demands, so in a pinch I guess this sample from Occupy Boston will have to do:

Asked what needs to happen to make them pack up their tents, declare victory and leave, many protesters in the loosely organized, purportedly leaderless nationwide anti-corporate movement differed sharply on the end game — if they even see one at all.

“When we see our world leaders step down from their power and give it back to the people of this country or the world, then we will say that we no longer need to do this,” said James McBride of Malden, who has been protesting for a week. “But as long as that doesn’t happen, we will still be here. … We’re already planning for winter.”…

“Basically until I have to stop working three jobs at $8.50 to pay my rent and not get to eat,” said John Nai. How long did he think that would be?

“That’s the question they’re going to have to answer — the one percent,” Nai said, referring to the nation’s wealthy power brokers.

Defying The Man and eliminating economic hardship: That’s fairly well in line with what you’ll hear from the barely-coherents interviewed by Stern’s crew.

The most amazing thing to me about OWS thus far isn’t that they lack specific demands, it’s that they seem to lack even general demands when it comes to the two pressing economic crises of the age, i.e. creating jobs/growing the economy in the short-term and reducing the national debt in the medium-term. Tea partiers are all about the latter when they call for dramatically reducing spending; Keynesians hate that because spending cuts are one of the two big no-nos during an economic downturn, but it’s a bona fide attempt to grapple with a universally-acknowledged problem.

You might think OWS would be interested in the other half of the equation, how to generate jobs/growth, but that’s never a major theme in the scores of articles I’ve read about them. The major themes typically involve debt forgiveness and redistributing wealth from bankers to “the people” and/or the government, typically in the form of new taxes — which, of course, is the other big no-no during an economic slowdown. New tax revenue from “the one percent” would help solve our other major economic problem by reducing deficits over time, but that’s only if the revenue is applied to offsetting current expenditures. The vibe I get from OWS is that they want to take the tax windfall from those darned “banksters” and either distribute it among “the 99 percent” or let the government apply it towards new spending programs. Case in point: Remember the cheery woman in OWS’s official online commercial who called for taxing the rich to fund education? That’s super, but it does little to help us cope with the explosion in mandatory spending that will eventually cannibalize the budget: Medicare, Social Security, interest on the debt, and whatever’s left over for defense. In essence, these people seem to want to build Great Society II just as the government’s begun to crumble in earnest from the weight of Great Society I.

That’s why, as much as I goof on them, I can’t get as worked up about OWS as some of my friends on the right. Despite their alarming radical overtones, they’re basically committed to preserving (and expanding upon) the same unsustainable status quo we have now. Even after the great tea-party revolution of 2010, federal spending went up this year by five percent; despite endless warnings about the catastrophe to come if we don’t reform entitlements to hold down the debt, polls show that even many fiscal conservatives still get cold feet at the idea. (There’s a reason Romney’s forever blathering about Perry’s “Ponzi scheme” rhetoric.) Who cares if we drive over the cliff at our current speed of 55 mph or OWS’s speed of 75 mph? So, on that note, here’s the Stern clip plus a video bonus beneath it of Oakland occupiers endorsing the wealth-generating, job-growing, deficit-reducing magic of hard socialism as a solution to America’s problems. Evidently, there’s a lot of that happening downtown at Zuccotti Park too. I’ll leave you with this from Jonah Goldberg, who’s also feeling a bit sentimental about the new heroes of the revolution today:

It’s also useful (as I argue in the current issue) to be reminded of the fact that given the flimsiest of excuses a great number of mainstream liberals will drop their apparently feigned resolve against leftwing radicalism and leap at the opportunity to express solidarity with the crazies. So far, except for one honorable dissent from the editors of The New Republic, I haven’t seen any prominent liberals expressing any serious concern about what the occupiers are actually saying. And what significant reluctance we have seen from liberal politicians, starting with Obama, is quite transparently motivated not by principle but by strategy. If the Occupy Wall Street mob swept the country, I’m sure some of these liberals would, eventually, find a backbone — particularly when it came time to redistribute their stock portfolios or seize their McMansions. But until then, most of them seem perfectly happy to encourage the rabble and treat their ideas as legitimate.

Indeed. Content warning on the first clip, needless to say.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

that 2nd video is concerning…

ted c on October 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM

OWS needs a new PR agent. They need someone to tell them, you are not selling your message and yourselves well. Get rid of your stupid hats, haircuts, clothing, etc if you want people to take you seriously. The first impression is most important.

shick on October 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

People are not as smart as they think they are.

albill on October 18, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Except me. I am as smart as I think I am.

shick on October 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM

At first I was enjoying watching these idiots lame and vacuous statements but some of them are down right frightening. It’s difficult to believe I grew up in the same America as these kids. The good news is I know a lot of kids who are the polar opposite of the OWS nuts so maybe there’s hope. Exit question Is Hillsdale college the only school in America I can send my child to where he can learn to be a free thinker?

ldbgcoleman on October 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM

What we are dealing with here,

is failure to communicate!

Freddy on October 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Just passin’ time, boss.

RDE2010 on October 18, 2011 at 7:50 AM

What! They won’t make baby wipes for free?!?!?!?!

Mr. Bingley on October 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM

ldbgcoleman on October 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Check out this resource: http://www.collegeguide.org/

It’s a good one for telling you about the political and academic situation on the campus. Does the college focus on a traditional core of classical Western thought, or are classes of the “Shakespearean Queer Theory” type? They have a red/yellow/green light ranking about the school’s political environment regarding conservative students.

CJ on October 18, 2011 at 8:19 AM

My thoughts are what would an elected representative in the House or a Senator do if not spend money? They would sit all day with their finger up their a$$. They would be useless and we the People would catch on and let them meet just 3 days once a year. They would lose all the perks, power, privileges but most of all they would lose their avenue to wealth.

Herb on October 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Do any of those Oakland protesters know that California is broke? Liberal policies caused that…and overspending. I guess I-phones are Ok to own? Such hypocrisy.

That video is disturbing.

becki51758 on October 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM

The first one was hilarious, the second one was scary. I can’t help but think that these communists need to wake up and realize that the founding fathers created this nation so that those who work hard, gain wealth and those who are lazy, lose wealth.

Also, I noticed that those communists sure were ugly. Not a looker in the bunch.

jeffn21 on October 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Second Video

Look in the mirror wannabe communist, you are ugly both inside and out….you get a choice of how you want to go through life Oakland OWS – chose Bitter. If they are so concerned with the human population of the world, how about they all join the Peace Corp? They won’t, they are lazy, the best they can do is drag their whining butts to a park and spew crap, they think sounds intellectual. These aren’t your parent’s pinkos, they were effective and competent.

In fact that is what they should rename their movement- self indulgent whining bitter posers’

Dr Evil on October 18, 2011 at 9:44 AM

SWeasal is cracking me up with the photos she has found: LINK

Blake on October 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I love the I-phone question…let these moronic trolls come to my house, as one of them said “mother earth has the power”, but let me add I’ll make them the fertilzer

PatriotPete on October 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM

They dont need a Kent State Moment as much as they need a Fabreeze Moment, or a Mr. Clean Moment

BigAlSouth on October 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM

You never get worked up by anything the left does.
To you, it’s either blog entertainment grist or understandable lefty posturing whose motivation always merits your “in all fairness” benefit of the doubt.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Got taught shit and now spouting it rote.

Obama fodder.

I do fear a second term for Obummer.

You really think Romney can best Obama?

Or am I taking this OWS thing too seriously?

Sherman1864 on October 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Burn down the universities, unemploy all those tenured traitors, hang ‘em, shoot ‘em, and rebuild. We’ve lost an entire generation from the 1960s on. Watching these yahoos proudly display their ignorance is too much to bear. They are only powerful as lemmings over running the place, help them find their cliff, please.

Scherzophrenic on October 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

For all of Hot Air’s continued whiny attempts to tell us how unimportant, unrepresentative, and widely unsupported Occupy Wall Street is, practically every other Hot Air post is on … Occupy Wall Street.

Integrity.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

^Copy-paste troll^

Christien on October 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Integrity.

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Given that it’s in the news every day and that major news networks think it’s TEH MOST IMPORTANT STORY EVERZ!, we’re also going to talk about it.

And show how much of a non-story it really is.

Good Lt on October 18, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Surely does make one wonder if ANY of these “protesters” are capable of simple math?

I’d venture (confidently) that the poorest, most bedraggled street person in America has a MUCH better life than approximately HALF the humans on earth………..therefore this ambiguous “equality” these wandering protestors THINK they are seeking would REDUCE the lifestyle of aforementioned street person by an incredible percentage to render equality upon those approximately 3.5 billion MUCH poorer people…………this AINT freakin rocket science!!

Katfish on October 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM

“But, that’s $25.50 an hour.”~obamanomics

mrt721 on October 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Isn’t “bifidis” an intense urinary track infection caused by sleeping on the ground in unsanitary conditions?

Dhuka on October 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

bifidis on October 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

The ignorance and stupidity of those participating in the OWS demonstrations is so laughably ridiculous that it’s actually fun to watch just to see what moronic drivel will escape their lips next. Gotta share the laughs with somebody.

ROCnPhilly on October 19, 2011 at 9:26 AM