Obama: MLK Jr. would have supported Occupy Wall Street

posted at 4:30 pm on October 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Today, as he belatedly dedicated the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial on the National Mall, President Barack Obama made the questionable claim that MLK Jr. would have supported the class-conscious and envy-motivated Occupy Wall Street movement. The Washington Times reports:

“At this moment, when our politics appear so sharply polarized, and faith in our institutions so greatly diminished, we need more than ever to take heed of Dr. King’s teachings,” Mr. Obama said, who praised King’s belief in the “creative tension of nonviolent protests.”

“If he were alive today, I believe he would remind us that the unemployed worker can rightly challenge the excesses of Wall Street without demonizing all who work there,” the president said. “Those with power and privilege will often decry any call for change as divisive. They’ll say any challenge to the existing arrangements are unwise and destabilizing. Dr. King understood that peace without justice was no peace at all.”

Interesting that Obama chose to say the OWS protesters are challenging the “excesses” of Wall Street — because the excesses of the OWS protest are precisely what would surely have been objectionable to Dr. King. The great Civil Rights leader led an intentionally moral movement — and that morality was evident both in the goal it sought and in the manner in which Civil Rights protesters sought it. The Heritage Foundation’s Carolyn Garris explains:

Dr. King believed in a fixed moral law, an anathema to moral relativists espousing subjective values. For King, a just law was “a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God.” Dr. King required that his followers lead moral lives, and he emphasized the importance of faith in the face of adversity.

The kids camped out on Wall Street haven’t exactly occupied the area with reputability. The instant gratification ideology impelling the protesters is everywhere expressed — in sleeping-bag sex, in drugged-out meltdowns, in litter-filled spaces. Even if the ends they aim for are just (arguable), they haven’t pursued them honorably. “Creative tension” arises from the challenge of expressing radical ideas in an organized manner. From what I can tell, the OWS protesters haven’t given themselves a chance to experience that tension because they give into their instincts (including the instinct to take to the streets without clearly defined goals) too quickly.

Then, too, it seems the protesters are looking less for work as they are for the material benefits of work. They fail to see that excellence is its own reward. But Martin Luther King Jr. upheld the dignity of work itself. Can you imagine an OWS protester saying what MLK Jr. said in his address at the Institute of Non-violence and Social Change in Montgomery, Ala., in December 1956?

If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lives a great street sweeper who did his job well.

MLK Jr. might at times have used rhetoric later in his life that suggests he would be sympathetic to the OWS protesters’ redistributive aims, but my best guess is he’d also have a few exhortations for them.

It was in poor taste for the president to make a divisive claim in his dedication of a memorial of a man who aimed to unite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why not? He supported the Viet Cong.

ncborn on October 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Wall street asked for obama and financed him.

the_nile on October 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

If you give him enough time he’ll tell you everything MLK was going to say.BHO is a dufus, his only claim to fame is he beat GWB in the 2008 election in which GWB was not running.

tim c on October 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

We remember the MLK of ’63 but we often forget the MLK of ’68.

AshleyTKing on October 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Shorter Obama:

‘The world has pretty much figured out that whatever I say is just bullshit, so I’ve started making up opinions and quotes from dead people who earned a lot more respect than I ever will”

BobMbx on October 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Tina, all of King’s family members that spoke except the first one, his sister I believe, used the dedication as a platform to praise and push the “Occupy” movement. Obama was actually the most toned down about it.

While it burns me up that his family, friends, and politicians would turn the dedication of a statue into a rally for OWS, it seems pretty clear that the family was all in with it.

Greyledge Gal on October 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Who didn’t see another self-centered black man using the name of MLK to futher his own agenda? Anyone? Anyone?

madmonkphotog on October 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Disgusting. Ovomit strikes again, drinking his own Kool Aid.

Western_Civ on October 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I find it strange for anyone to speak for a dead person. Even stranger still someone who doesn’t have the slightest idea what the dead person stood for.

ButterflyDragon on October 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The Great Divider.

Rod on October 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM

MLK stole prestige by copying other people’s words and, late in his life, turned completely to the dark side of welfarism and redistributionism. He was good with turn of phrase, so he gets a memorial. How appropriate that his sculpture was made in China, the land of forgers and propagandists.

andy85719 on October 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

MLK would vomit at the ridiculous rich trust fund babies crying for more handouts after never having worked a day in their life…

Of Course, OBUMMER has more in common with OWS tha 99% of the population so he would naturally side with them but to disparage MLK for political gain is another in a long line of disgusting acts by this national embarASSment

SDarchitect on October 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

A big chunk of the OWS protesters are people who have no interest in a real job. They want government funding of their hobbies.

CW on October 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

From Drudge:

WAR DRUMS: Obama Presses Inspectors on Iran Nuclear Data…
Iran’s former president warns of possible US attack…

Ah yes just in time for the election.

CW on October 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Martin Luther King Jr would have supported and would be the Tea Party.

tjexcite on October 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I’m not an MLK expert by any means, but I don’t recall him spouting the merits of socialism. Redistributionism. Divisiveness.

Judge a man by the content of his character, not by the color of his skin. Are we not being judged for being white? They don’t look into the hearts…just the outside color now. Equality and justice is what MLK sought. It’s a damn shame so many have perverted, and distored this mans memory.

And bringing politics into a memorial is as far from classy as it gets. Shame on them.

capejasmine on October 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Obama in iambic pentameter:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to praise King, not to honor him.
The goodness that men do lives after them;
The evil is all that guy Bush’s fault.

apostic on October 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM

King more than likely would have turned into a left wing bomb thrower like the rest of the people out of that movement. Great leader for a great cause, but watched an interview yesterday of one of his supporters who went out of his way to bring up OWS and how King would have approved of it. Then you have kids who were looking to profit off this memorial for using their father’s name and Jesse Jackson who has made himself rich off of racism – that is part of the legacy these days.

As for the King memorial, it is horrible. A 30 foot tall statue as well as a massive wall with his famous quotes on it? Sculpted by commie Chinese laborers with Chinese granite and designed by a Chinese artist? MLK even looks Chinese in the statue which is so grand it deifies him. I’m not even a big fan of the Lincoln memorial because it makes him look like a giant emperor on his throne but King wasn’t even a President and has this colossal 30 foot statue? Are we worshiping Gods here?

Daemonocracy on October 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Of course Obama did this.

OWS is all the leader of the free world has left.

StubbleSpark on October 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

OWS is now larger than the teaparty… but not by weight.

benny shakar on October 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

You don’t know much about MLK then. He did talk about all those things towards the end of his life. Towards the end of his life though, few paid attention to him. And MLK wasn’t really a good guy in his private life.

ninjapirate on October 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

MLK Jr. has “Made in China” stamped on his statue… BHO will have “Owned by China” engraved on his.

joe btfsplk on October 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

MLK would have beat Obama for the Presidency…

albill on October 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Why not? He supported the Viet Cong.

ncborn on October 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I’ve never heard that before. Could you provide a link to some documentation on that?

listens2glenn on October 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Dr. King in 67 and 68 went full boat into the anti war movement. He publicly called LBJ a buffoon at an anti war rally.He saw the anti war and civil rights movements as brothers in arms. Of course he didn’t live long enough to enunciate a message combining both, but his successor, Ralph Abernathy, called for socialism in America. And MLK would have approved of the OWS, at least the MLK of the spring of 68. He did launch,in 67, the protest at the Kentucky Derby.

xkaydet65 on October 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Anyone else see this photo?

byepartisan on October 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

In my best Whoopi Goldberg voice, “That’s not a flag flag”.

ButterflyDragon on October 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I’m surprised that Rev. Jesse Jackson didn’t pass a bloody shirt to PBHO during the MLK Memorial dedication…

That was all that was missing…

Khun Joe on October 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM

MLK would have beat Obama for the Presidency…

albill on October 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I would’ve settled for the “beat Obama” part.

apostic on October 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Occupy Wall Street Twinkle Time

The Democrats and Obama support it so why not?

I made a video with the twinkles as evidence.

It should be on Jay Leno with the Obama clip removed, of course.

They’re welcome to use it. It’s not copyrighted.

Granny Jan

No Niks on October 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

MLK Jr. has “Made in China” stamped on his statue…

The worst part of the the fact that it was “Made in China” is that the guy who sculpted the MLK Jr statue also has sculpted multiple Mao statues.

The world’s largest Mao statue was erected in Tibet.

The guy who made the MLK statue has his studio in Changsha… and that statue for Tibet was a gift from Changsha to Tibet.

ninjapirate on October 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

xkaydet65 on October 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

That’s more info than I had a few minutes ago.

Thankyou.

listens2glenn on October 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Dr. King required that his followers lead moral lives, . . . .

Judging by the FBI tapes of MLK’s private activities, he’d probably be fine with the sleeping-bag sex.

The married-with-kids preacher who was having orgies in hotel rooms while admonishing his followers to lead moral lives? Somehow seems like the right kind of role model for the OWS losers.

AZCoyote on October 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Why do we still call him Doctor? His earned his doctorate by skimming through old doctoral theses, swiping whole pages, and pasting them into his thesis. Without computers to search for the similarities, he got away with it until the 90s. Now it is universally acknowledged that he was a chronic plagiarist.

andy85719 on October 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

money line right there….

cmsinaz on October 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

…the unemployed worker can rightly challenge the excesses of Wall Street…

The key to the next election is to make the president defend and own this belief, not as a bland generality, but in detail.

Knott Buyinit on October 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

this is dear leader of course he would go down that road…

cmsinaz on October 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

MLK was a GOP…he would have told those youngins a thing or two…

cmsinaz on October 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Ah yes just in time for the election.

CW on October 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Who didn’t see this coming?

upinak on October 16, 2011 at 5:01 PM

MLK was a GOP…he would have told those youngins a thing or two…

cmsinaz on October 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

..this is one of the dirty little secrets that is not reported.

The War Planner on October 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM

ListenstoGlenn

These are Dr. King’s “Ten Commandments on Vietnam,” written shortly before his untimely death:

1. Thou shalt not believe in a military victory.
2. Thou shalt not believe in a political victory.
3. Thou shalt not believe that the Vietnamese people love us.
4. Thou shalt not believe that the Saigon government has the support of the people.
5. Thou shalt not believe that the majority of the South Vietnamese look upon the Viet Cong as terrorists.
6. Thou shalt not believe the figures of killed enemies or killed Americans.
7. Thou shalt not believe that the generals know best.
8. Thou shalt not believe that the enemies’ victory means communism.
9. Thou shalt not believe that the world supports the United States.
10. Thou shalt not kill.

CW on October 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM

““Those with power and privilege will often decry any call for change as divisive. They’ll say any challenge to the existing arrangements are unwise and destabilizing.”

Truer words have never been spoken…

Seven Percent Solution on October 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I do not think that Rev. King would have supported students using easy credit to pay for obscure degrees, then blaming “the system” when they cannot find gainful employment nor are able to pay off their debt.

Check out Legal Insurrection’s post today: Another Occupy Wall Street poster child who is not (Update: He responds)

Here is the explanation from a PhD-Level Critical Dance major participating in OWS because he racked up $150,000 in debt while attending a UC School:

Actually I am an associate member of the Stage Directors and Choreographers union. (The average annual salary for working Directors in the union, by the way, is $35-40,000). I appreciate the press for JUNK, it has been difficult to raise money for a show that is critical of corporate abuses of power, celebrity obsessed culture, and social/economic/environmental inequality. I was proud to be at the Occupation Party in Times Square last night, demonstrating in front of the very theatres I hope to work in one day. The point of chanting “We are the 99%” is to show the solidarity between folks who come from a wide range of backgrounds with a broad list of grievances. I’m also proud to be an artist with an academic background, and I don’t regret staying in school the extra years to get a PHD (which was only partially funded by teaching assistantships for 3 out of 6 years… you’d consider that if you paid attention to the rampant budget cuts and tuition fee hikes in the University of California and colleges and universities elsewhere). Now, let’s get to the real issue I have with your blog post, which is the greater sociocultural problem of art, especially immaterial art like dance and theatre, not valued as labor, thus discounting the WORK of ARTISTS as LABORERS. Yes, I have an extensive resume, I have performed in galleries, theatres, schools and streets. I get paid next to nothing for my work, but I do it because it is my calling and my passion. Most of the time I get no pay aside from travel, lodging, and per-diem. This is subsistence artistry, I’m not making enough money to live independently, I have no health insurance, I can’t support a family. Show me a society that functions without artists, show me a revolution or social movement that succeeded without a performative element. I worked all the way through school, and yes, I used some of my loan money to develop my craft as a director and performance artist. I also used credit cards. I was 18 and they were giving them away at the college book store with a free gift! So I spent all of grad school paying them off, only to and accrue more! As for my production company, in the six years that I’ve worked on JUNK I think I’ve paid myself $3,000. If you read the mission statement for Epic Megalopolis, you will see that I believe in supporting artists with a living wage. The last workshop of JUNK we paid our actors, young professionals like myself, something like $400 for 6 weeks of rehearsal and then $18 a show for 6 weekends. This is WELL ABOVE the rates usually offered to non-union actors on a 99-seat theatre show… and still, tell me who could survive on that? It takes a lot of people to build a theatrical production, those people all deserve to be paid fairly. $100,000 is peanuts compared to the budget of a Broadway show, and let me tell you NOBODY working on Broadway is in the 1%. Occupy Wall Street is about targeting the obscenely wealthy, it’s about getting corporate investment out of politics, it’s about making quality health care and higher education a right not a privilege. The movement to forgive student loan debt is an alternative to bailing out the banks and CEOs who profited from our losses, and instead offer people a chance, students, consumers, working and unemployed, to move forward on a clean slate. I think it’s a brilliant idea, a sort of amnesty for folks who are crippled by their educational debt, regardless of the life circumstances and decisions that got them there. I talked to several other people at the protest who agreed with me, and countless others who just flashed me a “thumbs up” or a nod of recognition because of my little hand-scrawled sign.

I find it difficult to believe King would be down for this particular struggle.

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

xkaydet65 on October 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

..links would add credibility to your assertions.

The War Planner on October 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM

find it difficult to believe King would be down for this particular struggle.

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Like I said earlier. They want their hobbies to be paid for.

CW on October 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Well, obviously. MLK and the broader civil rights movement cut their teeth as labor activists. They were all members of the socialist left, who now happens to be out in force in this #Occupy movement.

ernesto on October 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Exactly: Morality.

JamesonLewis3rd on October 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM

this is one of the dirty little secrets that is not reported.

The War Planner on October 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM

yepper…

cmsinaz on October 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

what is the point of posting about trust fund boy?

anyone who knows anything about grants and scholarships is, 1. you can’t be white. 2. you must pretend to be a loser and broke. 3. you have to be in some BS degree, or be in an engineering field. 4. you parents have to be dead or disabled. 5. and las tbut not least, you can not be born in the USA.

Sucks to be American.

upinak on October 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

A PHD in Critical Dance Studies…?

d1carter on October 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

He would be shocked at the quitters that litter our society today. Get off your ass and do something.

tomas on October 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

what is the point of posting about trust fund boy?

Because I found it illuminating, and a nice synopsis of the real motivation for many of OWS participants. I also think that others might like additional insight.

If you don’t, fine with me. Then, don’t read it.

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

That’s right, champ – keep cinching up this OWS albatross around your neck a little more each day.

Someday soon you’re going to want to distance yourself from them and you won’t be able to.

Midas on October 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM

tomas on October 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Like all the business owners playing chicken with tax rates? “Oh, if you raise our taxes 4%, it just won’t be worth it to own my own business and try and be successful.” I mean, that’s exactly what you keep telling us about tax rates, no? That the average American business owner is essentially a quitter?

ernesto on October 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

MLK would have advocated crapping on police cars.

Bishop on October 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM

That the average American business owner is essentially a quitter?

ernesto on October 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

You are the king of the straw man. Sheesh you’re pathetic. Where were you uneducated?

CW on October 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I can’t really say what MLK would have thought about OWS idiots.

I DO know, that Obozo was elected on his promises of transparency, “draining the swamp”, healing the societal divides, curing the ills of Wall St. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And here, by his own words, he admits he is a failure.

Nevermind those things I care about that I wish he would work on.

KMC1 on October 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Wow, that dude needs a lesson in the difference between what he has (a ‘hobby’) and an occupation.

Sorry, but, if you’ve wasted your time and money on a PhD in Uselessness, but that’s the reality. So… time to stfu and get an actual job that *does* have a paycheck, eh?

Midas on October 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Oh yeah, Barry? Well Thomas Jefferson, Aristotle, Abraham Lincoln, and Frederick Douglass all would’ve opposed them. What you got to say now, Mr. Smartest Man in the Room?

Blacklake on October 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

No Friggin Way Dr King would support these nutz.

Wade on October 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

The only relevancy Obama sees in MLK is that he gets to co-op the MLK legacy. If Obama couldn’t do that, he wouldn’t even mention MLK. It’s just like he does with Lincoln too — for Obama it is ALL about Obama 24/7. If Obama can’t use someone/something to further his own self-centered goals, that person/even is completely off of Obama’s radar.

Shameful & disgusting. Unfortunately for us, Obama has no shame.

Dark Star on October 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

CW on October 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM

He**, he’s the poster boy for the American educational system. This yutz is EXACTLY what our schools turn out by and large. Unicorn chasing humanities majors that simply grow into the boils on the a** of America that ned lanced.

Tim Zank on October 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

… continued …

I mean, even if this guys’ $150k in student loans were forgiven – he’s still going to persist in a ‘job’ that pays $18/show occasionally? It’s like the “tax the rich, take everything they have” mentality from a different angle; OK, let’s say we do that and consume it all – that gets us from point A to point B – what are you doing to do to get to point C and beyond, having already wiped out everything just to get to B?

Midas on October 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

NEED

Dam*it!

Tim Zank on October 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Kiss my arse, BHO. You are one shameless low-life POS for saying garbage like that.

*spit*

petefrt on October 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

OWS is now larger than the teaparty… but not by weight.

benny shakar on October 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

We are legion…

… We are your parents and grandparents. We are your bosses and coworkers. We sell you your food and clothing. We sell and rent you your houses. We have defended and defend this country. We are your neighbors. We are informed. We are everywhere, but you may not see us.

And, we vote…

Seven Percent Solution on October 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Perhaps you’re familiar with Barnum and Bailey? Too late, I’m afraid, for you to learn that you could have been a performance artist i.e.; a clown, for the circus. Pay wouldn’t be much different, but you certainly would not have $150k in student loans.

At what point did you discover the cost your education exceeded your ability to re-pay that cost?

You must be feeling pretty stupid right now. So, go put on some tights and show the OWS crowd what $150k worth of dance lessons look like.

Bozo. (See? The clown thing just comes out of nowhere, and fits perfectly.)

BobMbx on October 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Obama is a rabble rousing, divisive instigator. He’s destroying this country.

rplat on October 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM

ernesto on October 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Still being an idiot, I see.

I think maybe we should amend the old adage…

“There’s nothing certain in life but death, taxes, and liberals being astoundingly dishonest and breathtakingly stupid.”

Midas on October 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM

A PHD in Critical Dance Studies…?

d1carter on October 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Yes, a degree in just Critical Dance Studies screams “set for life”!

What caught my eye, and another reason I posted it, is the grammar and structure. This man, my friends, holds a UC Doctorate.

“Higher Education Bubble”, indeed.

Mutnodjmet on October 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Obama now owns OWS.

The O in Occupy needs to always have the Obama logo.

faraway on October 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Ernie you are scum and you know it. Your unrelenting fallacious arguments have become a joke . How do you live with yourself?

CW on October 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Obama now owns OWS.

The O in Occupy needs to always have the Obama logo.

faraway on October 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Time for some photoshoppery!

Midas on October 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM

This MLK Quote says it all

Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social, and the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher synthesis. It is found in a higher synthesis that combines the truths of both. Now, when I say question the whole society, it means ultimately coming to see that the problem of racism, the problem of exploitation, and the problem of war are all tied together. These are the triple evils that are interrelated.

Del Dolemonte on October 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I’m very surprised by so many people on this thread that are not aware that King was all for Democratic Socialism and redistribution of wealth.

ButterflyDragon on October 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I think Obama is confusing his buddy Rev Jeremiah Wright with MLK. Rev Wright could be a keynote speaker for this crowd, and probably will be if there is a OWS in October 2012 as part of Obama’s reelection bid.

Obama’s comments also show how little he understands and believes in Christian philosophy and religious beliefs. One of the ten commandments is all about not coveting your neighbor’s wealth — Promoting the taking of your neighbors wealth is what the OWS crowd and the Obamacrat’s Class Warfare is all about. We’ve already got a very progressive tax code that is all about taking from your neighbor to pay for health care, house, food and more. Just how is that working for everyone? Could it be if you follow the devil, your likely to live in hell?

Cain has it right — He was taught not to covet his neighbor’s Cadillac, he was taught to work hard to buy his own…

drfredc on October 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Then, too, it seems the protesters are looking less for work…

…and are outraged at the shortage of high paying jobs for graduates who majored in Transgender Colonialism. And outraged at the amount of debt they incurred for their zero-return “investment”.

Here’s an idea: Restructure the student loan program to make it a complement of economic development policy. Larger % of tuition for those majoring in fields with high job demand, such as math/science, and lower (if any) for those majoring in areas of low job demand, such as Transgender Colonialism. No more loans for zero-return investments.

petefrt on October 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Ha. To hear the democrats talk…

Jesus

all would support OWS

SouthernGent on October 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

all would support OWS

SouthernGent on October 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

You forgot Mr. Rogers

VegasRick on October 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

…President Barack Obama made the questionable claim that MLK Jr. would have supported the class-conscious and envy-motivated Occupy Wall Street movement.

Only one problem, most the OWS protesters have no clue who MLK was.

SlaveDog on October 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

According to Drudge, the Nazis and the Communists also support OWS…BHO’s people.

d1carter on October 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

While some twist and fidget trying to decide what MLK Jr would be doing today I just look at the people who were around him before his death and see where they are today and what they are doing in his name.

darwin-t on October 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

“At this moment, when our politics appear so sharply polarized
===============================================================

hopey,sure does have his nerve,as he’s the pied piper of
shit-distrubing.

canopfor on October 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Would Mahatma “the Tumor” Ghandi support it?

29Victor on October 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Time to start calling the OWS by it’s proper name…the Obama Wall Street agitators.
He owns them. They are an extension and byproduct of having a sorry excuse of a street agitator for President.

OxyCon on October 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Martin Luther King dedication or an Obama Campaign rally? You be the judge:

No Niks on October 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Everything with leftists is politics. Every funeral. Every dedication. Every holiday. Every. Single. Thing. Leftism is their religion, and it permeates everything they do. We call such people zealots. My president is a zealot.

Rational Thought on October 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM

OxyCon on October 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

He is an embarrasment for our country.

VegasRick on October 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

It was in poor taste on par for a SCOAMF to make a divisive claim in his dedication of a memorial of a man who aimed to unite.

shocked…SHOCKED that he would do this…”in poor taste”…ya think?!?!

winston on October 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

OxyCon on October 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

OxyCon:Agreed,I also like,

Crock Stirr’r in Chief

Sh*t-Distruber

Stok’n da Flames!

canopfor on October 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Obama is an evil man. And he justifies what he does with a Marxist class warfare myth like the bad guys in Die Hard used as a cover.

So it does matter that his career has been sponsored and controlled by Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn.

jimw on October 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Wait, the same Occupy Wall Street that’s being supported by the American Nazi Party?

Obama’s supporters have to be the most oblivious people in this country.

Book on October 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Martin Luther King dedication or an Obama Campaign rally? You be the judge:

No Niks on October 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM

No Niks:Good catch,with the re-election sign,it speaks for itself!

canopfor on October 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Thank your media and pop culture for the arcane show you are watching.

MLK and BHO both have never had their ideas examined by the American people.

And the coverage of the OWS has been unreal.

WE were the first nation to lose a war when our media turned on it.

It will not be the last thing we lose.

IlikedAUH2O on October 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Obama: MLK Jr. would have supported Occupy Wall Street

He probably would have but unlike the products of privilege in the OWS movement he would not think the answer to corruption on Wall Street is to re-elect politicians who are wholly owned by Wall Street. Goldman Sachs alone probably counts it as an alumni network meeting every time the President meets with his chief advisors but no matter, the OWSers and the movement’s sympathizers will still vote for Barack Obama. The protestors occupying Wall Street seemingly are unaware or they simply do not care that Wall Street is occupying the White House and Capitol Hill.

The fact that Democrats are enthusiastically aligning themselves with the movement instead of cowering with fear just makes it more obvious that the OWS is a pathetic farce. A Democratic booster club with zombie make-up is all.

Threshing Flora on October 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

all would support OWS

SouthernGent on October 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I hate to break it to you but Grandpa was a damn commie.

Will Geer (Grandpa Walton)

He began his acting career touring in tent shows and on river boats. He worked on several left-oriented documentaries, including narrating Sheldon Dick’s Men and Dust, about silicosis among miners.

Geer was also the lover of gay activist Harry Hay. In 1934, Hay met Geer at the Tony Pastor Theatre, where Geer worked as an actor. They became lovers, and Hay credited as his political mentor. Hay and Geer participated in a milk strike in Los Angeles, where Hay was first exposed to radical gay activism in the person of “Clarabelle,” a drag queen who held court in the Bunker Hill neighborhood, who hid Hay from police. Later that year, Hay and Geer performed in support of the San Francisco General Strike.

Geer became a member of the Communist Party of the United States in 1934. Geer was also influential in introducing Harry Hay to organizing in the Communist Party. In 1934, Geer and Hay gave support to a labor strike of the port of San Francisco; the 1934 West Coast waterfront strike lasted 83 days. Though marred by violence, it was an organizing triumph, one that became a model for future union strikes.Geer became a reader of the West Coast Communist newspaper, the People’s World.

–29Victor, destroyer of childhood memories

29Victor on October 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Regarding Mr. King, if I recall that time period correctly: He was protesting the start of the Vietnam war against JFK, and continuation of the war against LBJ.

Both democrats if I recall my high school history correctly…..

Before the NEA stopped teaching it in favor of gay sex indoctrination!

Vntnrse on October 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I tried to watch the ceremony, but every time I turned the channel to watch the ceremony it sounded like a campaign rally for Obama.

In addition I know that the statue was made in China with Chinese granite and a Chinese sculptor. Let me know when this Chinese sculptor is allowed to make a statue commemorating the heroes of Tiananmen Square Square and erect it in Tiananmen Square.

SC.Charlie on October 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM