Gingrich: Romney is a little “Rockefeller” to capture conservatives

posted at 6:00 pm on October 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Will the term “Rockefeller Republican” someday give way to the term “Romney Republican”? Newt Gingrich suggests it’s a possibility:

“It is the Nelson Rockefeller problem,” said Mr. Gingrich. “There is a natural ceiling. Rockefeller always did better in the general election run but the problem is if you don’t get the nomination you don’t get to go head to head.” …

Added Mr. Gingrich: “He’s a very likable person. He works very hard. He’s very smart. And he is a Massachusetts moderate Republican.”

As I’ve watched Mitt Romney over the course of this campaign, I’ve wondered myself what it is about him that seems to prevent him from acquiring a broad coalition of conservative support. Folks repeatedly cite Romneycare and his mercurial policy positions as reasons not to choose Romney — and both are damaging elements of his portfolio. But no candidate is without a problematic past (that was even true of Ronald Reagan!), and what politician hasn’t switched his position on something? Is it just that Romney won’t disavow his roots enough? That he won’t completely denounce Romneycare or say unequivocally that TARP was a mistake? But he’s promised to repeal Obamacare — and the only GOP candidate with credibility on TARP is Michele Bachmann. Is it that he’s disavowed his roots too much so that he seems insincere? But some of the most prominent conservatives in the country first proved their activist chops on the liberal side of the aisle (think David Horowitz, Dennis Miller, Abby Johnson, even Andrew Breitbart, etc., etc., etc.). True, those conservatives weren’t and aren’t politicians, but the point is, converts are often the most compelling spokespeople for a cause. By that logic, that Romney was ever once pro-choice, for example, shouldn’t discredit his pro-life position now: If anything, it ought to give it more credibility because he’s considered all the options.

But Gingrich’s comments make the misgivings about Romney a bit clearer. No matter how likable, no matter how hard-working, no matter how smart, he will always be perceived as a “Massachusetts moderate Republican.” First impressions are hard to overcome. Furthermore, the man just looks and sounds like a politician — at a time when political prowess seems to count less with conservatives than plain ol’ common sense. Romney knows that and has tried to capitalize on his past business experience, but he’s squeezed on either side by candidates who boast more experience than him in their respective sectors (Cain in the private sector, Perry in the public). It’s been said that Romney is helped by the fact that he’s a known quantity: This cycle, he hasn’t gone through the “brutalization” Perry did in his first few debates, for example. That is, nobody has really bothered to vet Romney much. That’s one reason he’s still a frontrunner despite his ties to Obamacare. But it also hurts him to be as well-known as he is because, well, nobody bothers to vet him. Cain’s 9-9-9 plan has drawn attention and Perry’s energy plan is frontpage news, but people mock the many points of Romney’s 59-point plan without bothering to learn what the points really are.

At this point, he’s less a moderate than a known unknown, an untested tested, a chronic campaigner who is perennially paler-in-comparison than his competitors. A Romney Republican.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It will continue until libertarian/conservatives own a parity of influence in influential media.Koch brothers, and other rich libertarian conservatives, are you listening?C’mon Rush, step in here. You don’t need to put out the business plan and the investment. Just make it happen.petefrt on October 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I like Rush but he doesn’t even pretend to have conversations with his fawning callers. The only people more out of touch with reality than the socialists are the libertarians. These are the people who threaten to stay home and re-elect Obama if they don’t get their way. The socialists never never give up. As wrong as they are on everything, unlike libertarians, they never give up. The socialists won’t run 3rd party or stay home because the dweeb hasn’t delivered everything they want.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Damn you Palin.

KBird on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’m not saying she should’ve said it, just pointing out the double standard. Mitt’s allowed to whine but no one else.

Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Would you buy a used car from Mitt Romney?

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Having dealt with many Mormons professionally, knowing just how honest they are… absolutely. I would buy a used car from Mitt Romney.

Letting him be the chief executive of my nation, on the other hand…

JohnGalt23 on October 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Would you buy a used car from Mitt Romney?
Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Personally, I wouldn’t. But Romney isn’t selling used cars, he’s selling used matchsticks…and people are apparently buying them.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Yes, Romney whined over and over about the pastor. The very minute it hit the news, there was Romney catarwauling about it. Perry said he didn’t agree with what the pastor said, but that wasn’t good enough for Prince Romney, oh no, he had to come out again a day or two later and say that Perry wasn’t strong enough in his remarks and he demanded that Perry “denounce” the pastor.

Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Completely, pathetically false.

fossten on October 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Yes, Romney whined over and over about the pastor
Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM

And yet you still refuse to show anyone where, when you were asked on the first page.

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I saw his first response to it but not the other one you are talking about. Perhaps he was asked a question and he answered it? That wouldn’t be whining in my estimation.

csdeven on October 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

He is a Romney Republican. He stands for absolutely nothing other than what folks want to hear, and he will pander to any crowd.

Southernblogger on October 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

JohnGalt23 on October 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Really? LOL. I deal with a lot of people professionally, not sure if I can tell you what religious denomination they are affiliated with. I will ask for a Mormon sales dude next time. eye roll

bazil9 on October 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM

But Gingrich’s comments make the misgivings about Romney a bit clearer

Newt makes a lot of things clearer. The president should speak for us and it needs to be clear.

mike_NC9 on October 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Completely, pathetically false.

fossten on October 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

You obviously don’t listen to Rush. The caller gets to say mega dittos and how thrilled they are to speak to Rush. They then get to make one statement after which Rush expounds until the next commercial. There is rarely a respectful argument. As a conservative who wants to hear intelligent conservative discourse I find it annoying. We have so few resources in the media that we are forced to listen to egotists like Limbaugh and hot heads like Levin. We could do much better.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Damn you Palin.

KBird on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

What I loved about Sarah was she could address the issues and take stands which I liked, but also that it never seemed to be about her. That’s what I fear in another candidate. People have hidden agendas, which usually involves favoring certain areas with big government. And becoming part of the DC establishment. That lure is so strong. And I’m afraid Mitt will be sucked into that. But I’m afraid Mitt is all we have now.

Paul-Cincy on October 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Elisa on October 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I love Sarah. Unfortunately she was not of the elite and they did not trust her, and not enough of the non elite (of which the annoying AP is a prime example) did not rally to her side (or at least stop attacking her). So we do not have Sarah as our leader. We were not good enough for her.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Whoda thought that Gingrich would still serve the conservative cause…go get him Newt!

Don L on October 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Oh Aslans Girl

Some backup for your Romney argument :)

gophergirl on October 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I could not disagree with you more on every point you made. It’s hard for me to listen to hosts other than Rush and Levin. Elisa on October 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM

You obviously prefer monologues – which is what you get from these two. I prefer to listen to people who want to talk to people who are as well educated and informed (or better educated and informed) as the host. In a population of 330 million people Limbaugh and Levin do not expose their guests to tens of thousands who have specialized knowledge that they could share with us. But they never get a chance. Why would any educated person bother to talk to either one of these two. Wait on the phone for an hour so you can speak for 15 seconds. No thanks.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Newt is correct. Mitt will be unlikely to defeat Obama. The base will not turn out for Mitt, it is just that simple

georgealbert on October 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Whether I’d vote for Obramney or stay home remains to be seen -if the GOP puts him up my leaving the party is a fait accompli.
I refuse to become a battered wife voter for the non-opposition party.

Don L on October 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

This primary season already seems too long and fatiguing. Hopefully the debate on CNN tuesday is a good one. So far the debate questions and moderators and format have all been terrible. I like Newt a great deal so what he has to say is always interesting.

nswider on October 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

What time(s) and station(s) is your nationwide radio show broadcast on?

Thanks in advance.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Callers are limited because they arent interesting. I dont listen to Rush to here so and so from Arkansas ramble on and argue with Rush for 20 minutes I tune in to listen to Rush.

nswider on October 16, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Limbaugh doesn’t attract interesting callers because he doesn’t have conversations with his callers.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM

What time(s) and station(s) is your nationwide radio show broadcast on? Thanks in advance.
Left Coast Right Mind on October 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Now see here sonny. Do you not understand the difference between I and we?

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Why would they? They might have two almost equal candidates to chose from this election.

besser tot als rot on October 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Newt was hinting at this the other day. He was very respectful, but basically said that he didn’t think Mitt represented the heart and soul of the conservative movement.

MeatHeadinCA on October 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

That’s some real rocket science level thought there …

besser tot als rot on October 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Now see here sonny. Do you not understand the difference between I and we?

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Ah, so you see (or hear) an issue and just wait around for someone else to take care of it for you then?

Gotcha.

Those who can do, do.
Those who can’t do, teach.
Those who can’t teach, whine about it on the internet.

Carry on. I’ll just go grab some earplugs.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Hes not paid millions of dollars a year so we have to listen to other people talk, thats what the local backbencher shows are for. Even when Rush is bashing my guy Romney, lol, I would still rather listen to him talk in his stream of consciousness way then have to listen to a debate/conversation. Its just not that kind of show, and its pretty darn successful.

nswider on October 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Id say we judge Romney on how we THINK he would govern. His double talk and flip flopping, combined with his connections to liberal positions (global warming, health care) and policy (ditto) makes me uncomfortable with the thought of voting for him.

I cant really think of one conservative policy he has championed, or has even made part of his overall message. That’s not that he doesnt have one, but it says something that i dont know of it.

Romney is a religious liberal who is understandably far too mainstream for the radical Democratic party of the 21st century. I would go as far as say he may have run as a Democrat just a few decades ago.

He seems like a decent man, a competent man, but not a conservative, and after the Obama debacle, we cant afford someone wishy washy on global warming or health care. I cant see him fighting to repeal Obamacare with the zeal of a Herman Cain, Michelle Bachman, or even Newt Gingrich.

We need a conservative….the country needs one. Its the only way we start our way back from the failed experiment that was Barack Obama.

alecj on October 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Not only do I listen to Rush daily, but I’ve called in and spoken to him three times, each time getting at least 5 minutes of back and forth with the man, and in none of the conversations did I ‘fawn’ over him, nor was I kicked off the air quickly. Furthermore, I’ve heard many liberals call and Rush let them speak for minutes at a time. There are some callers who just call to wish him well, but to say that they are the rule instead of the exception demonstrates gross ignorance of the content of the show. You are just full of crap, which is because you don’t listen to his show.

Frankly I figure you’re just bored and trying to get a rise out of people, which is evidenced by your repeated talking points regarding Rush’s show.

fossten on October 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Don L on October 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Newt is creeping up in a lot of the polls now. He’s near or ahead of Perry in most of them, and he’s rising while Perry is falling. I think foreign policy will sink Cain eventually, which will send the conservatives to their last option: Newt Gingrich.

When Bachmann stumbled after catching fire, Perry jumped in and took most of her supporters. After three horrible debates, Perry lost those voters to Cain, and there’s only one more place for them to go if they sour on him. I think this nomination will come down to Romney vs. Gingrich.

holygoat on October 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

holygoat on October 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Newt is heating up. But what he needs to start doing is, during debates, starting every answer with the words “When I’m President…”

fossten on October 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

This the same one who was shhrieking about Palinistas. Sucks to be her.

katy the mean old lady on October 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Its just not that kind of show, and its pretty darn successful.swider on October 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM

So it is. But I would much prefer in depth conversations with knowledgeable guests. Unfortunately most people have the attention span of a gnat, which is why Rush and Levin are successful when they drone on with the same message day after day.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Good analysis, Tina. However, my skeptical side tells me that the “Rockefeller” dig was not really about his historical analysis of general elections, it was a clever way for Newt to subliminally remind GOP voters that Mitt is a prosperous son (unlike Newt of humble origins) and as a winner of life’s lottery he should be the object of envy and resentment from the ascendent populist wing of the GOP (and independents). Newt has been very careful not to criticize other candidates until now, but he sees an opening and it’s time to discard comity for cutthroat.

Buy Danish on October 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I think the problem with Rush taking phone calls is, his hearing is bad. He frequently asks callers to repeat themselves, or can’t hear when they start talking while he is talking. It seems to be most problematic with mobile phone callers.

Kjeil on October 16, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Most callers get to make one statement after they have fawned all over him. They are then cut off while El Rushbo expounds. I do listen hoping he will be more engaging with his guests but he is too full of himself. I think his brother David, who is much better educated and more humble, would make a better host. There’s no substitute for cornering the market and I’ll give Rush credit for that.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

How can a man who supported TARP and Medicare call out someone else about being a Conservative?

Notorious GOP on October 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day as I was stuck in traffic with Rush in the AM and the Levin on the way home. I ended up listening to the traffic report station as it was actually more informative.

darwin-t on October 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Good Lord. He’s the front runner because the Tea Party vote is split.

That’s the race.

If the TP candidate can emerge, he will win. If not, Romney wins.

That’s all the drama there is to this race.

faraway on October 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Thanks you for the opportunity to comment at this most user-friendly site.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM

*up twinkles*

Gang-of-One on October 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM

holygoat on October 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

We can only hope. I’m glad Newt is starting to take off the gloves but with tact.

HellCat on October 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Romney is a flip-flopping moderate, too closely aligned with big government policies. Talk is cheap, and Romney has a history of saying whatever he thinks people want to hear. He is part of the old guard Republican power structure.

He hasn’t given us any reason he won’t revert to form.

We need to clean house, not just rearrange the furniture.

novaculus on October 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM

If by Rockefeller problem, he means oily bohunk lacking any core principles whatsoever, I agree.

austinnelly on October 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM

We need to clean house, not just rearrange the furniture.

novaculus on October 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM

“Cleaning house” will never happen. Close to half the poeple in the US are on the public dole and/or pay no federal income taxes. These people will never vote for a Republican who is going to clean house. Has any POTUS, ever, cleaned house? I don’t think so.

Really Right on October 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Aslans Girl, this is in support of you.

God, the right needs no enemies. They are within.

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

This the same one who was shhrieking about Palinistas. Sucks to be her.

katy the mean old lady on October 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

About 141,000 results prove you wrong.

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM

The more Gingrich attacks RINO’s and Obama the more I like it. If Romney gets the nomination, the tea party will be less enthusiastic, as in “We’ve been McCained again!” Might not even win the Senate!
Currently, my vote would be for Perry — in spite of his warts he’s not as squishy on most issues as Romney. But like I held my nose and voted for McCain in 08, I would vote Romney in the general if that’s all we’ve got. But it is so frustrating, that in all the Republican party, that’s all we’ve got!

Christian Conservative on October 17, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Hint: when running for president, you actually need to meet the people you want to lead. Here in Iowa, I’ve seen him at the podium from a distance, but never talked to the man. I’ve talked to Bachmann, Santorum, Cain, Pawlenty, Gingrich, and so on… but never was offered an opportunity to meet Mitt – in 2008 or today.

He’s pretty much unapproachable – unless I’m sporting a really big check.

beatcanvas on October 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM

That is sooo much crap! He has been in Iowa quite a times in the early part, before he had even announced. He was at two Des Moines Tea Parties that I attended, one that was God-awful cold and windy! I shook his hand both times, and he talked with me a few minutes. He is down-to-earth and looks you in the eye when he gives you that warm, firm, handshake of his….He is the MOST APPROACHABLE guy I’ve ever met. Troll-talk much???

lovingmyUSA on October 17, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Ok, beatcanvas, it’s been a long night at work, and I mis-read your comment. Sorry–I see you meant Mittens, not Cain. I offer my appologies…and I obviously need more coffee…

lovingmyUSA on October 17, 2011 at 6:20 AM

beatcanvas–I’m in Des Moines–where are you?

lovingmyUSA on October 17, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Damn you Palin.

KBird on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Ditto that. I’ve still got smoke billowing from my ears – anger at her for her decision.

stenwin77 on October 17, 2011 at 6:25 AM

I don’t get the Romney hate here. 3 years ago he was the conservative in the race, and none of his positions have changed since then. All I can see, possibly, is that he is no longer sniveling for support from the CHristian right, since that worked out so well last time. But his social positions haven’t changed. He’s just not pandering to the mormon-haters this time around. All the conservative heavy-hitters (from Rush onward) supported the guy. Now he’s somehow the worlds worst RINO?

Even on the “problematic” issues that everyone harps on–like global warming and abortion, I don’t see the big deal. ON GW, He says pretty forthrightly that he thinks the planet is getting warmer, humans MAY have something to do with it, but it doesn’t warrant any reaction that affects our economy. That response warrants all the hate??

On abortion, he says he’s always been personally against it (said this even during the “problem years” of his run for the senate against Teddy) and then went ahead and GOVERNED as a pro-lifer. Even when he said he was politically pro-choice, his actions spoke to the pro-life movement, and even the NYSlimes recognized this in the “hit piece” that wasn’t a hit piece yesterday. He counseled women in his religion to avoid abortion. And for this CRIME of recognizing that he ran a pro-choice state, but walked the walk as a pro-lifer, he gets all this hate for being a flip-flopper? I don’t see the flip-flop label even remotely applying, unless and until he “flops” back to being politically pro-choice, and I just don’t see that happening. Until then–we are REALLY going to castigate a guy on our side who “came over” politically to being pro-life? What the hell?

I’m seriously worried that we have this fantastic opportunity to take out the insane socialist in the White House, and we’ll blow it over this nonsensical circular firing squad crap over Romney. He’s demonstrated wek in and week out, that he’s far and away the most qualified guy in the race for the job, and easily the most rhetorically equipped to take Obama to the woodshed in every debate, and during the election.

AttilaTheHun on October 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Thank you gophergirl and Schadenfreude for your posts backing me up, I TRULY appreciate it. I honestly didn’t think I’d need to prove Romney’s repeated whining since I figured posters here at HA are well-read and it was common knowledge (it was reported everywhere).

Following the timeline in this article:

Jeffress endorsed and introduced Perry on Friday ahead of a Washington speech

Perry was asked Friday evening if he believes Mormonism is a cult. He responded: “No.”

Saturday was the first whine:

A day after Jeffress’ comments, Romney took the stage at the same Washington conference…He also said that a previous speaker, Bill Bennett — who had stood and told Jeffress, “do not give voice to bigotry’’ — was “hitting it out of the park.’’

But, Romney wasn’t finished. On Tuesday (that would be FOUR days later) he had this to say:

The Republican presidential candidate delivered it to Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Tuesday. … Romney challenged his chief rival to reject the endorsement of an evangelical pastor who claimed the former Massachusetts governor isn’t a Christian and belongs to a cult because he is Mormon.

“I would call upon Gov. Perry to repudiate the sentiment and the remarks made by that pastor,’’ Romney said at a news conference in Lebanon, N.H., hours before a GOP presidential debate.

From the article, Romney also complained about this the day he was endorsed by Christie (Tuesday, Oct. 11th). Christie went on and on about it during his endorsement speech.

From the FNC clip that gophergirl posted (dated Wednesday, Oct. 12th), they had audio of Romney complaining yet again on the Laura Ingraham radio show.

Whew, that’s a whole lot of whining. And he even sent out Christie AND Bennett to do some of his whining for him.

But Mrs. Perry had better not open her mouth at a prayer meeting to merely say that they have had a nasty time on the trail. When she said that they were being (paraphrasing) “brutalized for Perry’s faith by members of the GOP”, she obviously meant Romney, who simply wouldn’t stop bashing Perry over this.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Tell me, who has “brutalized” Perry for his faith? If his faith is the same as that of Pastor Jeffress, is this an admission that Perry agrees with him?

Buy Danish on October 17, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Basilsbest on October 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I agree with you, Basilsbest, there.

Another thing, and that is that the threat of “staying home and not voting rather than vote for Romney” or similarly the one of “vote for Obama to avoid voting for Romney/the GOP” — neither of those tactics is Conservative nor represents a cogent, Conservative perspective.

But either/both of those threats/intents DO represent a recurring option by Liberals.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Romney’s problem is that he has at least three BIG strikes against him before the first primary kicks off. His political bio is toxic – former Governor of arguably the most liberal state in the union. His views on healthcare reform and climate change are 100% liberal democrat through and through. He is 100% establishment. He will not rock the boat on entitlements or the size of government. Oh… and just like McCain, he’s the media’s choice (until the general when they’ll tear him apart.)

It’s no mystery.

SAMinVA on October 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM

And yet Gingrich endorsed the lady that most Libertarians in comments on this site hugely hated in the last Senate election (forget her name, Dede Scuzzafazza or something like that).

And Gingrich himself has been roundly denigrated in comments here over the years.

But NOW Gingrich’s opinion on what and who Conservative is and means is being taken seriously?

I like Gingrich and generally always have for the most part, respect his work in Congress, and I’ll vote for Romney if he’s the GOP nominee (or even if Gingrich is, which I doubt he will be), BUT, I’m trying to point out that many a Libertarian in comments here who claims to be Conservative isn’t Conservative and that much of the bickering that takes place is more about personal demands and favoritism than anything else.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Oh… and just like McCain, (Romney’s) the media’s choice (until the general when they’ll tear him apart.)

It’s no mystery.

SAMinVA on October 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM

No, I believe that Palin was the media’s choice. Romney, they have never been too keen on and there’s little from the Romney-McCain competition in media that can be shown that they did favor Romney as they did McCain.

McCain is actually a self-avowed Progressive. He prided himself leading up to the 2008 election in claiming that there was “little difference” between his views on ‘all the issues’ and Hillary Clinton’s. Imagine that, he was proud of that and boasted as much, same views on ‘all the issues’ as Hillary Clinton’s.

To Romney’s credit, he declared and has continued to declare far more actually Conservative views and opinions, even back in that competition with McCain. McCain’s veil of popularity was mystifying and I think only existed due to the media’s hyping such fantasy as real, just as is done for and about Obama.

Lourdes on October 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Mitt Romney is the Republican Bill Clinton.*

*Yes, even to the point of voters looking the other way at certain personal ‘quirks’ for each – granted much harder to overlook for Clinton, but DemocRATs are more experienced at it.

Knott Buyinit on October 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Mitt Romney receives ‘backing’ from Al Gore over climate change stance

Does the conservative republican base need a house to fall on them?

Dr Evil on October 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

We denounce Romney because it’s mathematically too late for a slick insider to implement HC lite and shave $1-2T off the projected debt over 10 years, back-loaded. When under Romney, our growing debt collapses our financial system, it will be remembered as a capitalist catastrophe. Wrong man, wrong time.

elfman on October 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I recall several times that the republican establishment blamed conservatives sitting it out for losing in 2008 to obama, and they may have a point. However, if that’s true, why on earth would they then push to nominate the one guy that reminds conservatives the most of McCain?

If they are at all interested in winning back the white house, why would they do the one thing that they think cost them the last election, rather than try something different? Definition of insanity and all that I suppose.

runawayyyy on October 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Some backup for your Romney argument :)

gophergirl on October 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Nice try. Romney was asked a question and he answered it respectfully. He isn’t playing the victim card like St Palin the Victimized does.

csdeven on October 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Aslans Girl on October 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

That wasn’t whining. It was responding to a question asked by the host of the show. And he didn’t make it about himself. He spoke about how the spirit of American politics doesn’t make allowances for religious bigotry. Unlike St Palin the Victimized who always made it about how mean the LSM was to her. She was whining, Romney is expounding.

csdeven on October 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

It boggles my mind that some of the best of you even bother to write about faith.

This is all that ANY contender, on any side of the isle, should say about their faith, or that of their opposition, on either side, “My faith is btw. myself and my god”. Period.

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslan: Update. You may want to read this about emails, Perry’s camp, and Pastor Jeffress.

Buy Danish on October 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

My problem is that Geingrich is a little too conniving to get my vote.

Snake307 on October 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

You are very young Tina, and you obviously haven’t had as much experience with being lied to by politicians telling you they are one thing when they absolutely are not what they say. It is too easy for a pol to say what he needs to say to get elected and then doing what they want after they are in office.

We have been screwed so many times by lying rhinos that we are not going to take it anymore! We want elected officials who are what they say they are and have a track record to prove it. Romney doesn’t have one.

woodNfish on October 17, 2011 at 3:52 PM