Video: The Horse Soldiers of 9/11

posted at 12:30 pm on October 15, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

In the days after 9/11, the American people demanded action against the terrorists who slaughtered almost 3,000 people and the regime that sponsored them. Most of us know very little about the first to answer that call, but Alex Quade and the Daily Caller tell their story in “The Horse Soldiers of 9/11,” a tribute to the special forces that went into Afghanistan to rally the rebelling tribes against the Taliban. The American horse cavalry has a long tradition, but hasn’t had a new chapter in over a century:

Their contribution to the American response will be commemorated with a statue near Ground Zero in Manhattan, complete with a parade to its installation:

During the 2011 Veterans Day Parade on November 11, a new monument to these men — and to all Americans in uniform — will make its way down New York City’s famed Fifth Avenue on the way to its final home, a stone’s throw from Ground Zero

Military men and women, along with New York City firefighters, policemen, emergency responders and other marchers, 50,000 in all, will escort the monument on its televised journey. The spectacle will feature members of the three original Special Operations teams — some on horseback, others walking alongside surviving spouses of fallen heroes.

If this sounds like a movie script, well, it shortly will be:

Retired Army general and current CIA director David Petraeus will be among the parade marshals. Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer is producing a future movie about America’s “Horse Soldiers.”

I’d stand in line to buy a ticket to that film. In the meantime, don’t miss this video and the story of the first response from America’s military in the war on terror.

Comments

Don’t let the media ignore this.

Schadenfreude on October 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Thanks Ed for giving us this information. This is the first I have heard of the horse soldiers. That is very nice to have a statue to honor them. The movie, if done correctly, would be a good one to see.
L

letget on October 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Very cool, but, good Lord.. Will the fleabggers allow this ???

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM

The book “Horse Soldiers” by Doug Stanton tells this story. Worth a read.
Amazon

Aviator on October 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I can’t wait to get a small version of my own…

karl9000 on October 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM

This is great.. both the monument and the movie.

I remember when this first was reported, Gen. Tommy Franks was in command. Back then it was all over the British media about how the Russians lost because tanks couldn’t operate on the sand and that the War Lords had a penchant for cannibalism … blah blah.. then the report of American soldiers on horseback came out and the British media played it like we were a bunch of cowboys!

Texas Gal on October 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Salute my brothers. You make us all proud.

Grunt on October 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM

An amazing tribute to some amazing people.

DAT60A3 on October 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

It’s about time Hollywood made some pro-military movies. Better ten years late than never.

OhioCoastie on October 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Rescue dogs played a critical role too. I remember many got hurt with the shattered glass, so they had to be pulled back and put boots on their quarters to keep searching.

Puerto Rico sent firefighters and rescue dogs. Yes they flew over but they heeded the call and they were not gonna sit around and watch.

There were multiple organizations specialized in cadaver search and recovery. Love them very much!

ProudPalinFan on October 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

While in the Army I wrote a staff study for using cavalry within the modern combined arms concept…didn’t exactly make it the Pentagon I’m sure! LOL

Not having trained mounted units reminds me of the same arrogance that the USAF had concerning machine guns and cannons on fighter jets…didn’t need them since they had air-to-air missiles…then came Vietnam and their tone changed.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I always get so chocked up with these tributes, then again I choke up pledging allegiance to the flag. I tear up singing our National anthem, America the Beautiful, etc. When I was young it was love and pride, now it seems a mixture of love, pride and sadness. I feel my Country slipping away and I just hold on tighter to our Constitution that is being trampled on by people in power that have not even read it.

IowaWoman on October 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Very impressive… the men, the horses, and the statue.
I especially like the Angel of Death part… ‘female up in this airplane is uh, you know reekin havoc on ya.’… Ouch…

RalphyBoy on October 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I’m so very proud of these brave men and women…God bless them all…

…Can’t wait to see the statue at Ground Zero.

StarLady on October 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Unfortunately, they’ll have to change the title, as “Horse Soldiers” has already been used (from the novel of the same name by Harold Sinclair, directed by John Ford, starring John Wayne & William Holden – 1959).

But, the exploits of these men in Afghanistan puts a sharp point to the problem that the Generals are always ready to fight the last war.

Another Drew on October 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM

the terrorists who slaughtered almost 3,000 people

Many on the Left would not use the word “slaughtered”. Wonkette noted nearly a decade after the attacks:

…nearly 3,000 people were horribly killed so that Rudy Giuliani could earn a hundred million dollars and run for president of 9/11 and the most corrupt administration in American History could wage endless war around the world and many working-class people could affix “United We Stand” bumper stickers to their SUVs, so they could drive around with pride while eating hamburgers off their laps and listening to talk radio wingnuts.

Del Dolemonte on October 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Wow, that’s cool.

Midas on October 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

wow. I look forward to seeing that someday. Great tribute and followup to AP’s post from last night regarding SF troops to Uganda.

ted c on October 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Another Drew on October 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Not unlike the GOP trying to run a clone of Obama to beat Obama in the 2008 election and not the present 2012 election.. Seems like it’s a common behavior in the people who “Manage” wars and campaigns, and not the ones, who actually have to carry them out. There are similarities between Wars and Political Campaigns.

Dr Evil on October 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Check out this book from 2005

“First In” by Gary Schorn

SERFER62 on October 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Excellent Ed.

Having lived with that community in Fort Walton Beach for 25 years, the pride of seeing those men on horseback working with our AC-130U gunships, hunting down our sworn enemies brought tears to my eyes (again). The bravest of the brave. May God the Father Almighty continue to Bless and keep them.

Zorro on October 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Years ago I read a book about the Special Ops forces that hit the ground there right after 9-11, and it included the stories about the guys on horseback. I had no idea they were finally going to be honored for it in this way, after all these years. Hollywood is filled with traitors, btw. The only films they’ve made since 9-11 showed our military as either victims or criminals. It would suit me fine if all those film studios caught on fire and then sank to bottom of the ocean.

juliesa on October 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

So cool. Thanks are not enough.

txmomof6 on October 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM

*salutes*

Yakko77 on October 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM

The book “Horse Soldiers” by Doug Stanton tells this story. Worth a read.
Amazon

Aviator on October 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I recently read it. Only problem, over-flowery language broke up an otherwise smooth narrative. I never had to refer to a dictionary that much before, and I have a decent vocabulary – 720 this past summer on the verbal SAT.

My favorite book on this topic – “First In” by Gary Schroen, an about-to-be retired CIA “operative” who led the first Americans into Afghanistan. After reading it, I actually looked him up, called him, and thanked him for his service and a great read.

Funniest story – when they first got there, they filled out a supply requisition form, and specified Starbucks coffee as a joke. IT WAS DELIVERED next helicopter shipment!!!

So when the first “Horse Soldiers” arrived, the CIA crew offered them hot Starbucks!

fred5678 on October 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM

For your convenience — “First In” at Amazon. No, I don’t get a commission.

Highly recommended.

Gary and his CIA crew played the same role in Afghanistan that the Alamo Scouts did in the Philippines for The Great Raid.

fred5678 on October 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM

And don’t forget “The Hunt for Bin Laden” by Robin Moore. Funniest story was about an AC130 gunner named Angela, from NYC, whose voice Dostrum used to taunt the Taliban. “The USA thinks so little of you as fighters that they have sent their WOMEN to kill you.”

Again, for your convenience.

fred5678 on October 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Pardon me for nitpicking BUT in the interest of historical accuracy:

Prior to Afghanistan the last recorded US Cavalry charge came in early 1942. Considerably less than “over a century ago”.

Philippine Scouts under the command of 1st LT Ed Ramsey charged and retook the town of Morong, Bataan from occupying Japanese forces. This was a critical element in enabling the evacuation of Fil-Am Forces into the Bataan Peninsula.

Later, their horses were shot for food and helped delay the starvation that finally forced the surrender of Bataan. The first horse shot was the long-time mount of General Jonathan Wainwright who did the job himself rather than farm it out to a subordinate.

Thought you all might want to know.

Oilpatcher on October 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM

awesome.

God Bless the Special Forces…and soon give them a Commander in Chief worthy of them.

reliapundit on October 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM

It’s wonderful that they’re finally going to be honored. I got the book Horse Soldiers for my son, it was great. I hope the movie does them justice.

Now they need to follow through and make the movie of Lone Survivor.

Common Sense on October 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’ll stand in line too. I’ve wanted a good movie made of these courageous guys for 10 years!

Bruckheimer will do a great job.

PattyJ on October 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Great book! Just one of many I’d love to see turned into a movie. If you’re into this, then ya gotta read “The Lions of Kandahar”. And for those of you who mentioned “First In”, try “Jawbreaker”, it’s even better.

Tony737 on October 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM