Herman Cain proves resourcefulness with impromptu rendition of “Impossible Dream”

posted at 6:30 pm on October 15, 2011 by Tina Korbe

How I wish I could have heard this in person! At a Tea Party rally in west Tennessee, Herman Cain creatively compensated for the temporary loss of his sound system — and, not surprisingly, the crowd loved it:

Cain stands awkwardly for a few moments then suddenly begins to sing. Slowly at first but gaining in speed, he belts out “Impossible Dream” in the rich baritone he’s honed in church choir.

“You know, when it’s your rally, you can do what you want to do!” Cain says as he finishes with a raucous laugh. The 500 or so supporters who have jammed the strip mall parking lot to hear the Republican Party’s newest star speak roar their approval.

Momentum restored, Cain launches into a pitch for his signature 9-9-9 tax plan, and the crowd is right there with him, chanting 9-9-9 along with the Georgia businessman. The plan would scrap the current tax code and replace it with a 9 percent tax on personal income and corporations as well as a new 9 percent national sales tax.

Has the song run through his head as an anthem for his campaign? Or was it really the spur-of-a-moment inspiration? Either way, this anecdote powerfully illustrates Cain’s principles in practice. He touts a can-do approach to obstacles, creativity, resourcefulness and an innovative imagination. When the generator supplying his speakers powered down, Cain could have stood idly by, waiting for the power generator to restart. That’s what I bet the truly-do-nothing Sen. Harry Reid would have done. (Yesterday marked 900 days since the Senate last passed a budget!) Cain could have continued to shout into a dead microphone, repeatedly attempting a futile solution. That’s what President Obama would have done. (He’s still shilling for the totally politically motivated American Jobs Act!) But he didn’t. Instead, he musically expressed his willingness to march into hell for a heavenly cause.

Is this all an extrapolation? Yes. It was just a campaign trail incident and doesn’t really prove he’d be a solid president. But I insist it still matters. Usually, “campaign trail incidents” consist of inopportune corndog consumption, BBQ bashing, that sort of thing. Or they consist of carefully constructed photo ops and banal talking points. In comparison to a president whose First Lady coordinates Target shopping expeditions to appear ordinary, Cain just is refreshingly real. And what the nation needs now is a leader, someone who reminds us of what makes America great. I’ve never felt worse about our country after hearing Cain speak. Can’t say the same about Obama, whose criticisms of our “soft” country often leave me feeling paltry.

Sure, he’s still a long-shot candidate. Even as a first-tier contender, he so far has only pulled in second-tier funds. Still, no matter what happens with his campaign, I can’t help thinking … “The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars, still strove, with his last ounce of courage … ”

What’s clear: Cain will continue to strive. We’ll have to decide what the reward for his striving will be. But what if? What if we did elect a president with nothing but real world experience? Would that be foolishness? Is it foolish to believe in a dream?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

dforston on October 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM

If this person has 2.2 kids they will lose the child deductions. If they pay mortgage the interest on that will be taxable as well. So the numbers for their present liability are probably far too high in your calculations.

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I don’t know the details of the example that dforston used, so I can’t comment on the children. But those deductions go away very quickly in life. lol Trust me. In the twinkling of an eye,they are gone.

As for mortgage interest:

Under the Fair tax only the interest over the basic interest rate charged by the Federal Reserve would be subject to the Fair tax. Currently and typically that is only ½% to 1% of the interest rate that would be taxed.

So, not only would all the principal on a used house not be subject to the Fair tax, the vast majority of the interest on the mortgage is also not subject to the tax.

As far as the current mortgage interest deduction:

The Standard deduction for 2011 is $11,600 for a married couple. Most people don’t have enough to deduct medical and miscellaneous taxes. The big deductions are real estate taxes, state taxes, mortgage interest and contributions. 999 keeps the contributions. If you really look at what you get over and above the Standard deduction right now, for most people who are partly into their mortgage already and most of the interest is in the early years (not to mention those with no mortgage) there isn’t that much of a tax benefit right now anyway for interest deductions.

And don’t forget, this is a deduction from income, not a tax credit. It’s not as big a deal as you might think, considering Federal payroll taxes would be gone and a new tax plan would have other benefits to young couples.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Well, your vague suspicions mean so much to me. /s

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Got meds?

Chewy the Lab on October 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

lol I know, right? I don’t know what button I hit.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I wasn’t aware it was a big secret. People seem to be hyperventilating over it not because they don’t know what it’s all about, but because they think they do. In order for 9-9-9 to be enacted as law, there has to be a long list of steps followed.

Right. Since 9-9-9, to date, is the only real thing he’s bringing to the table – is the fact that it most likely would never pass in its current form an argument for him, against him, or both?

I don’t see how in the world he gets it through Congress (and for that I’m thankful, because I think it hurts people who are having a difficult time making it as it is), and if he can’t, why are we supposed to vote for him?

Is he strong in some other area that we just don’t know about yet?

Don’t get me wrong – I will never vote for him, but that’s because I don’t think he has the character to be president (because he let an innocent man twist in the wind on a race charge, and even joined in the pile-on).

I’m just wondering what you all see in him if you’re already conceding that passing his plan in the form he’s selling it to you is unlikely to happen.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Chewy the Lab on October 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Thank you for typing up exactly what I’ve been thinking all along, really.
We can all sit here pontificating with our ‘superior’ political savvy-ness, and nit-pick along, but with a fresh hold of the House AND THE SENATE, and with a conservative WH to boot, it can all be hashed out and well-established into something that will actually work, and actually HELP !!

ABO !!

BTW, Punkin says woof to Chewy ! :-)

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM

People keep bringing up senior citizens….

What about taxes for 401K’s, IRA’s, tax-deferred annuities…when you need a withdrawal before 59-1/2, you pay a 10% penalty plus your normal tax rate…which is at minimum 15%. You also pay taxes even after retirement. Would 9% be a more beneficial rate?

HornetSting on October 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Well, your vague suspicions mean so much to me. /s

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I’ve spelled them out. You think they’re bunk. We’ll see who’s right.

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Well, your vague suspicions mean so much to me. /s

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I’ve spelled them out. You think they’re bunk. We’ll see who’s right.

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Chewy the Lab on October 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Here is a 37 audio of the end of Cain’s song.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM

We need a realistic, competent, steady presence who can bring the entire country along to the supply side economic position.

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I agree. That defines Cain, and Perry, too, who I like second. Newt, too, if he didn’t have the baggage.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Awesome, thanks so much for the link. I love this man.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I’m starting to like Cain more and more lately, don’t agree with some of his positions, but in general, maybe he’s the guy to be nominated.

Of course, I don’t want to afflict Cain with my curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM

The child tax credit can be claimed up until a kid is 17 years old. Are you seriously claiming that losing that tax credit should be no biggy because those 17 years (or more, if you have more than one child) just zip right by?

JA on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I love the end when he says, “You know when it’s your rally, you can do whatever you want to do.” lol

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I can handle Cain/Gingrich, and considering Cain’s potential cabinet (Palin? Bolton?), and with Newt as president of the senate, methinks they could get a helluvalot accomplished that we all actually long for.

If y’all wanna know the ‘real Cain’, get the book… it’ll help.

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I don’t agree that Cain is being realistic. I also am unconvinced of his competence. Certainly as a politician, but also in foreign policy and other areas of economics beyond tax policy. I think that he is very much an Abamo, which is to say a radical from the right.

I strongly question Perry’s competence and steadiness.

Finally, I’m convinced that Romney possesses all of those traits. The main criticism of him around here is that he is not radical enough for most.

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Of course, I don’t want to afflict Cain with my curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

JetBoy…go for Mitt….

HornetSting on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Of course, I don’t want to afflict Cain with my curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

You. Stay. Away. From. Herman Cain.

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Methinks ya got the last part of that last sentence right.
;-)

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Of course, I don’t want to afflict Cain with my curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

lol Daniels, Palin, you’ve cursed all my candidates!

Support Romney, do it!

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

MJBrutus on October 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Methinks ya got the last part of that last sentence right.
;-)

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Meant ‘got that last sentence right’.

Hard to follow HA AND my Texas Rangers, sorry. ;-)

pambi on October 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

HornetSting on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM

lol

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Support Romney, do it!

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Ummm…No

I just…can’t…do it. Maybe I can just send a curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

It’s 16 and under. And yes, it goes by fast. The main point is that without the payroll taxes and capital gains taxes and the lower percentage rate, even taking the child tax credits into consideration, taxes for most will go down.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM

HornetSting on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM
lol

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Support Romney, do it!

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Ummm…No

I just…can’t…do it. Maybe I can just send a curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Why do you say NO, when it feels so good to say…yes!!!!
You supported Crist…this should be EASY.

HornetSting on October 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Have a good night. Have to go. My daughter and her boyfriend (both 23) are here and I have to get off the computer.

By the way, they are not very political and they love Cain and asked to see the youtube.

Elisa on October 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Question for the Cain fans: How do you think it’s going to go over if Cain is our nominee and the Dems start splashing his 2006 radio ad all over the place…you know, the one aimed at the African American community in which Herman talks about their “ho’s”?

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I think it will go about as well for Herman Cain as Perry’s more recent “heartless” comment did for him. Whatever defense Cain can come up with, I’m sure it will be along the lines of “I did the right thing for Mass-uh-chew-sits.”

As if Herman Cain is the only candidate with baggage… HAH!

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM

If they pay mortgage the interest on that will be taxable as well.

MJBrutus

No it isn’t. They just don’t get to pay less tax because of it. If you refuse to take the mortgage deduction now, you aren’t charged an additional tax because of it. You pay the same as someone who doesn’t have a mortgage.

xblade on October 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Are you a “The Young Turks” fan?

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM

All the people who are knocking his 999 plan as some sort of hokey one trick pony gimmick, should consider the fact that Paul Ryan was considered one of the brightest, most serious young Republican stars in the making. Then he put together a budget and he was savaged by both Democrats and Republicans. Anyone bold enough to put forth an idea is immediately mocked. Remember Steve Forbes and his flat tax plan? He was treated as a carnival huckster.

So yeah, let’s elect someone who hems and haws and never takes a firm position on anything, or comes up with an original idea……a professional politician who can handle any question deftly, without ever actually answering the question. That’s worked so well for us, hasn’t it?

ardenenoch on October 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM

lynncgb on October 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Cain was a lobbyist for the National Restaurant Assoc. Who knows better the ways of Washington?

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM

That’s worked so well for us, hasn’t it?

ardenenoch on October 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Most in the end are fearful of change.

CW on October 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Are you a “The Young Turks” fan?

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Nope. I have no idea what The Young Turks even is, I was just struck by how jawdroppingly inappropriate Herman Cain’s ad is, especially for someone aspiring to be president.

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Well, it is inappropriate, but, since you are not familiar with them, can you really say that is Herman Cain? I mean, it’s a “voice” which doesn’t even sound like HC, and the people on this show are liberals. You must be joking by putting this on HA.

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

You might have a point if Herman was white.

dforston on October 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Shame on you for pulling the liberal trick bag out of your a$$. That is not Herman Cain’s voice.

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM

What’s so inappropriate about it? It’s meant for an AA audience and that’s exactly how they talk to each other. I like the reference to abortion at the end.

Herman Cain is completely at home with all of us.

gracie on October 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Ummm…No

I just…can’t…do it. Maybe I can just send a curse.

JetBoy on October 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Or how about I send you a Mitt Tshirt! Dude, you can paint as many rainbows and put as many GOProud pins on that baby you want! /endgaystereotype

MeatHeadinCA on October 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM

WTF is an Abamo and how is Cain a radical rightist? Seems like a guy that supported TARP and the Fed is pretty far from Ron Paul territory.

MeatHeadinCA on October 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Nope, not joking. The ad was made by America’s PAC. Herman Cain was the spokesperson for America’s PAC and did voiceover work in many of their ads.

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Gee, sorry Herman’s ad upset you but don’t shoot the messenger. Do you really think this ad isn’t going to be a huge issue in the general election if Cain is our nominee?

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

And where is the proof that this was HIS voice in THIS ad?

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM

That is not Herman Cain’s voice. Take your message to the Kos Kiddies.

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Thanks…I was not aware of that element of his background. Does that really provide him with enough political savviness though….? Our nominee is going to have to battle a monstrous machine and I want the guy, we need the guy, that can think 10 moves ahead.

lynncgb on October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

And where is the proof that this was HIS voice in THIS ad?

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Google and check it our for yourself. It’s all over the internet. Hopefully, someone will ask Cain about it and we can get his take on it.

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Damn, all these Concern trolls we are getting in here lately. Paulbots are really getting desperate…

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

That is not Herman Cain’s voice. Take your message to the Kos Kiddies.

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Well, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better but unfortunately that isn’t going to change the reality of the situation.

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I don’t really like Cain, but the voice doesn’t sound like him.

As for being on the Internets

sharrukin on October 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Google and check it our for yourself. It’s all over the internet

That’s always been the gold standard for veracity!

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM

sharrukin on October 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Love it.

balkanmom on October 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM

No it isn’t. This is their vernacular. The Dems and libs may try but the AA’s and their leaders use this language.

Looks like Romney is a way bigger target for being a hoity-toity Wallstreeter than Cain could ever be for calling out the bad behavior of some of his contemporaries.

gracie on October 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Bwhahahah….thanks for the “authoritive” links…*snort. “All over the internet” makes it truth….bwhahahaha!

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM

That is not Herman Cain’s voice. Where is your proof that it is?

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM

JA–another Concern Troll setting the bar lower and lower for all trolls…Mission Accomplished…

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM

The fear is strong in this Paulbot…and it’s delicious. This is what the Paulbots are reduced to…did the same thing with Perry.

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Again, go ahead and ignore reality and I’m sure everything will go just fine & dandy for Cain when the Dems are plastering this thing all over the place.

For those who don’t believe this is Cain…when the ad was released in 2006 and outrage ensued, guess who America’s PAC referred all calls to – that’s right, Herman Cain.

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Herman Cain is now my #1 choice. Love him.

Like many of you, I don’t like the 9% national sales tax either. I’m not worried about it, though, because I know in reality it won’t even make it out of committee in the House. What it will do however, is open up the whole topic of tax reform, which Paul Ryan will then take and run with.

stefanite on October 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Then you should have proof of that. Where is it?

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Then you should have proof of that. Where is it?

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Proof that calls were referred to Herman Cain?

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Is that all you got, Ronulan?

I liked that ad.

stefanite on October 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Is that all you got, Ronulan?

I liked that ad.

stefanite on October 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM

For the record, I’m not a Ron Paul fan, although he does provide some fun moments at the debates.

Alright, I’ll leave you Cain fans to stew in your own denial now. Night night!

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Proof that calls were referred to Herman Cain?

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Maybe you should try reading what you just posted. You’ve got nothing.

Knucklehead on October 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Shouldn’t you be at Zuccotti Park pooping on a car while holding up your “end the fed” sign?

stefanite on October 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

That’s NOT his voice, lol.

And the ad isn’t even offensive, they’re being a facetious. I love how that idiot host and the bimbo are saying it’s condescending to black people and they start talking about how black people don’t talk like the guys in the commercial as if all of them only use street slang.

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Someone that seems to share my values and principles, at least moreso than any of the rest of the crop of candidates. Unless you don’t see the world in terms of values and principles. Takes all types, I guess.

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM

As far as Cain’s not being a professional politician/lack of political experience goes:
1.) If Cain does become president there are a number of good people out there that could provide wise counsel as his V.P. and cabinet (Bush picked Cheney for this very reason).
2.) Our founding fathers did a pretty fair job(!) as presidents w/o being career politicians, starting with George Washington et al.

3dpuzzman on October 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Cain was the president of the Nat’l Restaurant Assoc. Ask Bill Clinton how well he did his job there.

kringeesmom on October 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Oh crap, the video of Cain singing is already on Youtube:

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I LOVED it!!!!!

artchick on October 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I think they’re being a little picky over that one, honestly.

I’m more concerned about other things that could come up, since he had a radio show, right? If he wasn’t planning a run for president, who knows what he’s said?

I’m sorry, but he sounds like a nutter in the NYT piece tonight, talking about his plan for an “electrified fence”. Texans are talking on Twitter about how stupid the idea is in general, and he’s actually talking about killing people, which the Times gleefully points out. (Bachmann sounds like a nutter too in the piece.)

How do you suppose that will play with independents? More of that kind of talk, and I think we can forget about the Hispanic vote.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I’m late to the thread, and hope no one posted this yet:

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

massrighty on October 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM

It’s nice to know he can ad-lib in that situation, and even sing I guess. But that’s as far as it goes with me. Sorry.

kg598301 on October 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM

gryphon202 on October 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I get a little sick and tired of this self-righteous blather. Who’s to say my values and principles are inferior to yours?

John the Libertarian on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM

1 Question, Did he have a teleprompter?

ColdWarrior57 on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Cain takes South Carolina Tea Party straw poll with 55% of the vote.

kringeesmom on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM

1 Question, Did he have a teleprompter?

ColdWarrior57 on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Cain says teleprompter fell off the bus.

kringeesmom on October 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Herman Cain: still made of awesome.

As to Aslan’s Girl, when will you stop pretending Cain threw a race card at Perry? The whole rock incident was a whole lot of nothing, but nonetheless Perry or his family should have at least known the history of the place. Why;d they paint it over instead of just trashing it or having it broken down? It doesn’t really matter, save that you still think it does and some unspeakable slur was thrown at Perry, despite Cain clarifying the very next day.

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Maybe you should stop pretending he didn’t. Very easy for people to say what the family “should have” done.

My experience here: People will buy into and say anything if they can benefit from it.

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM

lovingmyUSA on October 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM

kringeesmom on October 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Yes, I didnt state that in my comment, but the NRA (Natl Rest. Assoc) is a major lobbying force…as such, he had to deal with Washington insiders. He knows how government works.

lovingmyUSA on October 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Doesn’t lugging that “rock” of Perry’s–that Cain supposedly threw at him–get a little tiring? You guys lug it around like it’s tied to your leg.

lovingmyUSA on October 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM

You do realize that you and Aslan’s Girl perfectly encapsulate the bolded statement I’ve emphasized that you yourself made.

You either didn’t hear Cain’s clarification of what was at its most foul interpretation, the weakest single political attack in history, or you choose to ignore that because you will “buy into and anything if you can benefit from it.”

“Insensitive.” How withering.

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 1:03 AM

John the Libertarian on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Now you’re accusing me of saying something I neither said nor implied. If you think Romney is more in line with your values and principles, go right ahead and vote for him in the primaries for all I care. That says more to me about you than it says about Romney, but whatever. I’m not running for office. I don’t have to make my decisions based on political calculation, and that includes my voting patterns.

gryphon202 on October 16, 2011 at 1:09 AM

lovingmyUSA on October 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Supposedly threw at him? He DID throw it at him. And as much as you would like to forget all about that, some of us are apparently going to have to make sure other people know the truth about it.

Think what you want. One thing I won’t do though is what you just did – you tried to tell people something that happened actually didn’t.

You can lie to yourself, but you’re not going to get away with lying to everybody else.

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 2:56 AM

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Maybe you need a little red wagon to haul that rock around in from thread to thread, and I’ll get some cheese to go with your whining about the supposed slur against Perry.

lovingmyUSA on October 16, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I wish Cain would drop the national sales tax idea.

Count to 10 on October 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2011 at 2:56 AM

\

Actually capitalist piglet, you are the one trying to lie to everyone. Cain made the “insensitive” remark effectively one day after the story broke. Then the media ran with it. The very next day Cain clarified that statement and said it was a dead issue, and that Governor Perry should be believed over any other account.

So you are essentially a willing stooge for the media by blowing the word insensitive way out of proportion, and refusing to accept Cain’s clarification. You must be a Democrat – because your candidate always has to be a victim.

I m jesting with you on the last bit, but honestly: get a grip. Cain grew up in the segregated South so I cut him a little slack when stories like that come around. A white, wealthy southern Democrat (Perry was a Dem at the time, remember) supposedly has a racist property demarcation he painted over instead of disposed of?

Any reasonable person with that background might conclude that if his family knew about it beforehand and leased the area anyway, it’s somewhat insensitive. Inherent in that assumption is that Perry and his family are conscious and cognizant property owners. So in order for your shtick to work, either Perry doesn’t pay very much attention, or the more likely answer:

It doesn’t matter. Perry took care of it when he found it. The media is trying to make a huge issue out of it, with the hopes I guess that Perry supporters only have a 23 hour attention span and anything that happens after that has no impact on any of their future decisions.

I doubt Rick Perry is insensitive, although he did call you and me heartless, and his “apology” was a non-apology apology, whereas Cain’s apology for the weak sleight you are still dragging around was as close to immediate as you can get in 24 hours. Rick Perry isn’t insensitive, but some of his supporters appear to be oblivious.

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Well said.

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Well, well – after weeks of strongly denying it, Cain conceded today on Meet the Press that his 999 plan will raise taxes for some people. I wonder if he is going to un-sign that no-new-taxes pledge that he signed.

JA on October 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

JA on October 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Of course it will raise taxes for some people. Those who didn’t pay taxes before will have to have some skin in the game. You think that’s a bad thing? Or would you rather have the government we have now, where the burden of paying for it is shouldered on the backs of only about half the people that benefit from it?

gryphon202 on October 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

JA on October 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Do you have a problem with the 40% of U.S. citizens who don’t pay taxes, now having to pay their fair share?

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

JA on October 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

To my knowledge Cain did not sign any such pledge (he also did not sign the pro-life pledge because he said it would limit his ability to select people for cabinet posts; Herman Cain is unquestionably pro-life all the same), though he has stated on stage that he would not raise taxes as any part of a debt ceiling raise.

“No New Taxes” and “999″ don’t even mix. You’re a pretty poor troll if you think a plan whose main criticism is its implementation of a national sales tax comes from a candidate that made a “no new taxes” pledge.

Even if he did, “no new taxes” does not necessarily mean that no new type of tax will be authorized, it’s true thrust is that the net amount paid in taxes for most people will not increase. This is true of the 999 plan, save for those few people currently paying nothing in taxes.

Since Democrats think it is a patriotic duty to pay taxes, clearly they think Herman Cain is a national hero for proposing a policy that will make us all patriots.

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

gryphon202 on October 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Knucklehead on October 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

BKennedy on October 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I agree with the 3 of you.

The way I see it, with the prebate, the Fair tax won’t affect the poor. Not sure if the interim 999 for the few years until the full Fair tax has a prebate. It may or may not for a few years only.

Like you all have said, there are 48% of Americans now that pay no tax. Some are poor and still won’t pay with the Fair tax. Most middle income Americans and upper middle income Americans and some rich Americans will pay the same or less.

But there will be some lower middle class income Americans who now either pay no income tax or (worse) get money back that they never paid in. Like half of the Sch M credit or some of the child credits. They get money back in refund checks that they never had withheld. This is not their money. This is our money. This is like a welfare check and it has gotten out of hand over the last 5 years.

There is a second group of Americans who might also have to pay tax now that didn’t before or didn’t pay as much. That would be some of the super rich who have lots of loopholes that will now be closed with 999 and the Fair tax. Funny how no one is mentioning them.

Elisa on October 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I feel safe with Cain as President. Tax wise, economically, job creator, understands how things run, capable and effective and a proven track record as an executive. Conservative all around in every category and it comes from his heart, not some poll telling him what he should say.

He doesn’t just have 999. Like Perry and Newt, he also wants to drill and open up our energy resources. Like those other 2, he will cut spending and start to fix Social Security. He will create jobs.

Romney, Perry and Cain are the 3 with a shot as of today. Obama, the Dems and the media are already telegraphing what their 2012 strategy is. The class warfare, protesting Wall St., blame big business. (They have nothing else to run on.) All 3 of these candidates will be painted as not caring about regular Americans, only the rich and corporations. They will try to use 999 against Cain.

But here is the thing about Cain. I don’t think their accusations it will stick with him. He comes off as genuine and he has the guts to speak up and won’t back down. Romney, forget it. He will be painted as Mr. Wall St. who is the problem (according to their meme.) Perry might be able to fight back. But I knew Cain will be able to fight back.

When Obama tells him in a debate that so and so says Cain will be bad for the rich, Cain will say “they are wrong, and here is why.” And he will be believable, like Reagan was when he defended his “voodoo economics” and “trickle down economics.”

Elisa on October 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

correction, “bad for the poor.” Sorry

Elisa on October 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Remember that “The Impossible Dream” comes from the musical of Don Quixote.

I’d be happy with anybody who rids us of Obama, but I’m not sure that the best way to recover is to pass another major overhaul of national tax law that will take years to adjust to. Concentrate of repealing Obamacare, reducing regulations, etc. Cain seems to think that 999 will produce immediate economic boom, but he’ll need the kind of majorities Obama had to pull off passage of it, and even then, it’ll take as long to fully implement the sales tax.

Cain would learn on the job a lot faster than Obama has, but it’s still a steep learning curve.

flataffect on October 16, 2011 at 11:01 PM

JA on October 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

So this is the argument that a Cain-hater comes up with? This?
If you were right (and you are not), the “No New Taxes”, did not mean that people who are not paying taxes now, never will pay taxes…do you think everyone who signed that thinks that the 47% not paying taxes now, should never pay taxes? Sheeesh, you guys are obsessed to the point of idiocy.

right2bright on October 17, 2011 at 1:32 AM

The new taxation powers scare me. I would gladly vote for Cain, but then urge my congresscritters to pass a 15/15 bill instead.

Spartacus on October 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM

As much as I can understand why people are disgusted with career politicians, it still concerns me that Mr. Cain has never held an elective office. Like it or not, I think he might need to know how to play the game of politics, because sometimes it is a game. Is he a grandmaster player? Probably not. This country took quite a risk on Obama in ’08 and I for one am more than a little worried about taking a risk on another novice, even if he is a conservative.

lynncgb on October 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Just remember; we all like to make fun of Oboobi as a clueless amateur. The truth is that he’s very dedicated to his principles and, from that perspective, quite successful in driving the prog agenda forward. If anything, Oboobi proves that your resume (lack of academic achievements etc) or experience has nothing to do with how you’ll lead. Oboobi appears frustrated and a lousy leader to boot, that’s only because his ideology is so wacky to us that he has to do everything under the radar via agencies under his purview and czars.

I have no doubt that a hobo from Hoboken can be a “good” president, as long as he has principles to live by. Based on Cain’s conservative and free-market attitude, I have no fear in voting for him. At least he has picked, frozen & personalized the current tax morass. Attacking and reforming it would do a world of good for our economy.

As for experience in Foreign Policy, again, that is overrated. What matters are the fundamental attitudes towards our allies & other regimes. Situations are in flux all the time and what’s true today can be false the next.

Hillary is supposed to be such a “Smart Power” expert on FP, and what do we see? How about Diane Feinstein or McVain? Better yet, what of Pappy Bush? FP was his forte, yet do you like how he handled Desert Storm, German reunification, Tienanmen Square, Yugoslavia or even Somalia? Of all the aforementioned crisies, only the German reunification suceeded in spite of Bush, the rest have repecussions that still resonate to this date.

Would Cain have really botched FP up compared to any of the above?

AH_C on October 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

JA on October 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Cool commercial. Every AA should hear it and think.

AH_C on October 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM