Video: The greatest war movie ever?

posted at 8:24 pm on October 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Jonathan Last, this is as close as most of America will ever get to watching real SEALs in action. How do I know? Because the troops here are all played by … active-duty Navy SEALs. Really.

It started out as a training video and things just sort of ballooned:

Act of Valor has an unusual backstory. The film, directed by Mike “Mouse” McCoy and Scott Waugh, started out as a training video for Navy SEALS. The Navy liked what they saw so much that they decided to turn it into a documentary.

Then, they decided to make a feature, and hired screenwriter Kurt Johnstad (300) to create a fictional story about a squad that goes on a covert mission to recover a kidnapped CIA agent.

Another interesting aspect of the upcoming feature, which will hit theaters on February 17, is that the SEALS are played by actual SEALS. The bad guys, however, are played by actors, including Emilio Rivera and Roselyn Sanchez.

This sort of thing has worked before. And thanks to the SEALs’ new place in the national consciousness post-Bin Laden, there are bound to be curiosity-seekers swinging by the theater who might not have bitten on this last year. Exit question: How much at the box office? Over/under is $50 million.

Update: Commenters are wondering whether the Navy put up the money — i.e. our money — to bankroll this. Good question. Maybe that’s the way we’ll finally eliminate the deficit. All Obama needs to do is finance ten or twenty thousand superhero blockbusters and we’re out of the fiscal hole.

Comments

Dude…

Kaptain Amerika on October 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Pretty good. I can’t wait for the Killing Bin Laden movie to come out – the one where the SEAL who kills OBL just happens to be (in screenwriter’s logic) the son of an FDNY captain who fell leading his men on 9/11.

Check out the new French movie “Forces Especiales” too – it has Diane Kruger in it!

KillerKane on October 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Oh wow, I will see that on opening day.

jhffmn on October 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Video: The greatest war movie ever?

The best war movie ever is a Russian movie called “Come and See”, which is a magical realism look at the partisan war in Belorussia in 1943 (the protagonist goes mad as a result) – the last quarter or so of the film shows the SS destroying a Belorussian village and killing all the inhabitants (the Nazis did this more than 600 times in Belorussia).

The movie is close to unwatchable, but if you want to see war in its purest form – the war on the Eastern Front – that is the movie to see.

Realist on October 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Huh? Looks interesting, but the Navy is the financial backer of a feature film? Or who is the “they”?

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

This is so cool.

John the Libertarian on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Oh, yeah. Fifty million? Take the over.

mchristian on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Do profits go to a good cause?

tim c on October 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Over

PierreLegrand on October 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I wonder if the OccupyWallStreet crowd will give it “Twinkles” or “Down Twinkles”

eeyore on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

The best war movie ever is a Russian movie called “Come and See”….
The movie is close to unwatchable…

Realist on October 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Your definition of “best war movie ever” is extremely strange.

Nessuno on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Good question. Are you and I paying for this too?

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Over.

Fish on October 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Really?

Greater than The Longest Day? Saving Private Ryan?

I’ll let you know the day after I see it. Prob Feb 17.

BigAlSouth on October 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

This might be a bit inside baseball, but the military tech crowd is going to go berserk analyzing this movie. I can tell just from the trailer that seeing the load-outs and the optics up-close used by the special-ops guys is an exceptionally rare thing.

And if that UAV and other (satellite?) footage is real too, that’s a big deal.

Can’t wait.

Nessuno on October 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Good question. Are you and I paying for this too?

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

If so, I want my cut of the box office (gross revenue, that is). Here’s the film’s info page at IMDB:
Act of Valor (2011)

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Oh hell yeah, looks awesome! I love that there are NO Hollywood Actors but actual Navy Seals. :)

The Actors should be the bad guys. Roselyn Sanchez is hot though, good to see her in something.

Daemonocracy on October 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

If the Navy bankrolled the movie then that’s fine if it’s part of their marketing budget.

Daemonocracy on October 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Way over! Everybody in the freakin military is going to watch this!

milemarker2020 on October 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM

All Obama needs to do is finance ten or twenty thousand superhero blockbusters (a year, ad infinitum) and we’re out of the fiscal hole.

Fixed.

JohnGalt23 on October 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Really?
Greater than The Longest Day? Saving Private Ryan?
BigAlSouth on October 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I believe AP’s critique leans more toward how much stuff gets blowed up really good, in this age of videogame FX.

I would add “Tora, Tora, Tora” to your list. Lots of stuff got blowed up real good in that one, but it also had some fine acting to boot.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Daemonocracy on October 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM

What does the US Navy market? It’s not as if there’s much competition for US naval defense, they’ve already got a monopoly on that.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I don’t know. Doesn’t look all that gripping. About as gripping and as hammy as this commercial from my youth.

keep the change on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

The Story of G.I. Joe. Novice actor and pro boxer freddie Steele’s scene on hearing the voice of his son for the first time will stay with you forever.

xkaydet65 on October 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Excellent trailer. Film looks fantastic.

Lourdes on October 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Under.

They should have cast Brad Pitt, or at least Eric Bana.

But I’ll contribute $9.50 to the total.

tommylotto on October 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM

So they won’t show the faces of the team that killed OBL, but they will show half a dozen faces in this movie? Maybe that is not as big a deal as I think, or maybe it is worth the benefit from having a patriotic movie made.

AnotherOpinion on October 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Nice catch at :49 seconds!

I was watching this thinking “I hope the include the SWiCCs” and bam, there they are, at 1:57.

Gotta see it, I just wish it were a true story. Micheal murphy and Micheal Monsoor deserve it.

Tony737 on October 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I predict 100 Million+ box office.

The great thing is that this is the anti-”Avatar” Just watch the meme that the American military are big meanies get utterly destroyed by this brave film.

James Cameron can suck it!

Opposite Day on October 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Recruiting. They also need marketing to counter the anti-military trash that the world of academia and Hollywood spews forth, but that’s my personal belief for part of the marketing.

Daemonocracy on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Good question. Are you and I paying for this too?

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

If we can pay for Obama’s fundraisers, why would you have a problem with this…

I bet the film makes a profit, and this is the only pro military pro American film to come out in I don’t know
How long. Leave it alone.

idesign on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

AYNBLAND on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

AYNBLAND on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I enjoyed We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down more. Tears of the Sun is pretty awesome as well.

Daemonocracy on October 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM

First Twenty and Last 30 Minutes of “Saving Private Ryan” is the best War Film ever made. – AYNBLAND

Roger that.

“Blackhawk Down” is up there too.

I’ll get beat upo for this, but I also really enjoyed “Flight of the Intruder” (ducks)

Oh, and also “Bat 21″ … lemme see ya phuq wit Gene Hackman!

Tony737 on October 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I enjoyed We Were Soldiers … – Daemon

Good call, Daemon!

“Nice day today, Sergeant,”

“What are you, the phuqqin’ weatherman?”

Tony737 on October 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I’m effing in! And I don’t give Hollywood anything but the finger anymore.

TXUS on October 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Good question. Are you and I paying for this too?
Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

If we can pay for Obama’s fundraisers, why would you have a problem with this…
How long. Leave it alone.
idesign on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

It’s pretty common for the DOD to help out filmmakers, as you can see by the credits on most war movies. Though on this on I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some controversy. Not just because it’s a “war movie”, which the left hates, but I suspect there will be questions about the process involved in it’s making.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Does Obama play himself as squad leader of Seal Team 6?

(er, prolly not, hard to carry around TOTUS for lines and do his own stunts)

red winger on October 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

The Story of G.I. Joe.

xkaydet65 on October 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Dittos. Best ever. Although I have a personal affection for Guadalcanal Diary. I worked civil service at an Army fort with a bunch of guys who were there. They were just like the characters in the movie, Tex, Dutch, Sarge, Frosty, Homer and Major Kelly… What a great bunch of guys.

rcl on October 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM

So racist. Only anglo actors can be cast as bad guys.

stefanite on October 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I can’t stand the current crop of movies that are coming out of Tinseltown, this one I will have to see.

SC.Charlie on October 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM

******************** AWESOMELICIOUS***************************

canopfor on October 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Probably won’t be a big hit with the Flea Party though…

BKeyser on October 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM

KillerKane on October 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Don’t worry, that movie is about a year away, to be released a few weeks before the election. Bet on it.

thphilli on October 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I’m in. It looks like it will be better than the movie based on OWS, My Idiot Brother.

HellCat on October 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, lets have a killing bin Laden movie! Would it upset too many Muslims?

Chessplayer on October 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM

More info about the film at Blackfive.

warren on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Jack Campbell already covered that in the SciFi book Starks War. The US government “paid” for the cost of the war on the moon by using raw real time footage from the troops helmet cameras. And they made enough money to finance the war effort, but only if there was enough action.

Johnnyreb on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

red winger on October 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

You have to put the guy down even though He made a tough call and got OBL. Our Prez was great with that one and a few other decisions. Give the guy some props.

He was in a war movie anyway. He and some supporters were bad guys in Blackhawk Down. Watch closely.

I love Him. Pre club drinking.

IlikedAUH2O on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Johnnyreb on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

That was a good book. Haven’t read it in awhile might have to see if I still have it.

warren on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I would love to this movie gross about 18,000 bazillion bucks, leaving all the Hollywood directors and stars to make a decision straight up whether they want to starve for their leftist beliefs, or make movies that show Americans as good as most of them really are. Of course, once the market sees one of those movies, it could be game over for the typical leftist anti-American dreck we have had to endure for so many years.

Dear Hollywood, have a nice day, just not too many more of them, okay?

drunyan8315 on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

“Tora, Tora, Tora” for historical accuracy, fine acting and especially for using actual Japanese in the Japanese roles; their different body language added a lot to the movie’s feeling of authenticity.

Also a movie that gets overlooked more than it should, “Attack!”

PersonFromPorlock on October 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM

There was an Australian war movie from back in the 70′s called “Breaker Morant”, a true story about Major Harry Morant, an Aussie fighting in Boer Wars in South Africa. Savage hit-and-run guerrilla fighting was the order of the day and Morant was put on trial for his life for adapting the same tactics in response. The setting is Morant’s war crimes trial and the story is told in flashbacks. It has a lot to say about the nature of war, politics and morality. Great flick and well worth checking out.

tommyboy on October 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I would love to this movie gross about 18,000 bazillion bucks … – Drunyan

“Lone Survivor” would!

I’d love to see a movie made about Air Force Combat Controller Calvin Markham, calling in airstrikes on al qaeda, turning them into pink mist, killing taliban by the thousands. “Jawbreaker” is an excellent book for the screenplay. TSgt Markham holds the record for killing the most enemy, 3,500 a.q. and taliban, and 450 vehicles.

Tony737 on October 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM

PersonFromPorlock on October 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM

One of those films I have to watch every now and then cause it’s so good – and I’m generally not much for the war movie genre. That it was a joint US-Japan production really made it a great movie.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Wolverines!

roy_batty on October 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM

There was an Australian war movie from back in the 70′s called “Breaker Morant”…..Great flick and well worth checking out.

tommyboy on October 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Based on the book, “Scapegoats of the Empire” and it is indeed terrific.

roy_batty on October 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Good question. Are you and I paying for this too?
Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

when they filmed “Top Gun” my squadron provided the office space, flightline and the birds that flew for that movie one of our birds 426 was tweeked so badly it could no longer be used for carrier landings.

“Top Gun” took in worldwide box office total of $353,816,701.00 odds are the Navy will get it’s money back on this movie.

DSchoen on October 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hamburger Hill just for that scene where the withjournalist says Sentor Kennedy says you can’t take this Hill, and they reply F Kennedy and then threatens the reporter that if he sees him film on the Hill he will kill him.

The Gallant Hours with James Cagney not a lot of action but very good, tells the story of guadalcanal.

Patricksp on October 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I Haven’t been to the theater in 5 years, but I’ll go to see this one.

I’ll go with the over on $50M, and I think it might hit $100M but there’ll never be a profit. Hollywood movies never make a profit. If the Navy’s fronting the money, there had better have asked for a % of revenue.

Best War movie ever? I don’t know enough of this to even call it a “war” movie. Anyway, one of my favorites is The Lost Battalion.

Dusty on October 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Instead of previews, they definitely need to show this instead…

HOOAH!

tencole on October 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Not necessarily – well …

A military service member works for the taxpayer – so when you see them in a movie – you’re paying their salary. However, technically you pay them for a 24 hour day so you’re also paying them to sleep.

However – productions costs MAY NOT have come from the Navy. I’ve seen the Navy enter into “partnerships” with private businesses to do this kind of thing. I don’t know the specifics here – but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was actually produced by someone in Hollywood … who picked up at least some of the tab and will end up sharing in some of the profit.

I will say this though – if your kid sees this movie and wants to be a Navy SEAL – let them know the dropout rate in BUDS is about 75% for kids walking in off the streets. Anyone who really thinks they want to be a SEAL – needs to find one and talk to one. Virginia, Millington, TN, and San Diego are good places to find them – and it’s worth it to put a kid on a bus to go visit one before he goes down this road.

HondaV65 on October 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I forgot to add Machine gun Preacher true story of a Preacher in Sudan that takes up arms in order to save/rescue children that are to become Soldiers And that movie deals with the Lord’s Resistance Army. Since Obama sent troops to deal with these guys I thought it should be added.

Patricksp on October 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Exit question: How much at the box office? Over/under is $50 million.

I’ll take the over even if you double it.

OhioCoastie on October 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

HondaV65 on October 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM

From the link in a comment above by
warren on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM
to Blackfive’s blog:
“My understanding of the evolution of this project is that NSW began working with Bandido Brothers on this as a brief recruiting video similar to this one that they did for the SWCC guys. At some point, NSW determined that there was potential here for a full length feature film that would essentially provide a “Top Gun” type analogue for the Teams to really juice recruiting, but without all of the gay Tom Cruise histrionics. I am not completely sure why the Navy let this happen, and my assumption is that there were strong personalities behind this that got it approved. I am also not sure whether or not it should have been made. The guys in the film would say the same thing as they all refused to do it for almost a year before the powers that be in NSW impressed upon them that they would be doing something important for the Teams.”

(Though Blackfive does give it a thumbs up.)

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

tommyboy on October 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM

fantastic movie with the use of morants poetry

Das Boot comes to mind

Audie Murphy as himself

Patton

Midway

Sonosam on October 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM

that’s #win^2

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I’m unclear why the Obama administration wants to have TV shows and movies that show all of our top secret procedures and personnel.

The Romney admin will have lots of cleaning out to do to flush out the OccupyMilitary crowd.

faraway on October 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Instead of previews, they definitely need to show this instead…

HOOAH! – Tencole

Excellent! Thanks for the link!

Tony737 on October 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM

You want a gritty, prescient Afghan War film? Try watching The Beast right now, if you’ve got $2.99 to spare.

OhioCoastie on October 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM

The greatest war movie to date is Saving Private Ryan and the next greatest war ever will be:

LONE SURVIVOR

hoo ya Marcus ! ! ! kick ass forever dude !

amend2 on October 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM

They should have cast Brad Pitt, or at least Eric Bana.

tommylotto on October 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Pitt is a little Nancy boy and isn’t fit to clean the boots of Seals.

Jaibones on October 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM

So Obama shows the names and faces of real SEALs. Of course, everyone will know who there families are.

This is disgusting.

faraway on October 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM

One of the BlackFive guys, who is friends with several of the SEALs in the movie and has screened the entire movie, said that everything is real, except for the scene where the guy catches the dead guy before he hits the water. They even used live ammunition.

Common Sense on October 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM

The SEAL catching the falling body so it didn’t splash…

Effing. Awesome.

nickj116 on October 15, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I’ll add Midway

KBird on October 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM

At first I thought this was really really cool. And yeah, I am certain I will go see it. But why are we showing such realistic tactics with real Seals in a major motion picture?

Is this a movie or is it a training film for our enemies?

JellyToast on October 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

The Navy probably has a better chance of making money on this deal than the Obama administration did of making money on Solyndra.

bugsy on October 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Sure beats this:

Barrack on October 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I will see any movie with C-130 footage.

Mike Antonucci on October 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM

… everything is real, except for the scene where the guy catches the dead guy before he hits the water.

- Common Sense

DAMMIT! That’s the best part of the vid!

Tony737 on October 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I liked Das Boot and Stalingrad, as well as They Were Expendable, Tora Tora Tora, Guns of Navarone.

Qzsusy on October 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Thanks – that’s an extremely interesting story.

It says the movie was meant to “juice” recruiting for the Teams – that may be … but kids need to be careful about falling in love with the Teams in the theater – there is still at least a 75% dropout rate for kids coming into BUDS training right off the street.

I was Navy for 24 years. I remember how supposedly “black” projects suddenly saw the light of day when their funding was threatened. It could be that NSW sees some budget cutbacks for the DoD in the future – and are hedging their bets now so that they don’t take any.

Am I cynical or what?

LOL

HondaV65 on October 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I bet this film breaks all records for any military movie in the last 10 years simply because it is a real military movie and not a Hollywood PC one.

JeffinSac on October 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM

What does the US Navy market?

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Um, itself? Perhaps you’ve seen a recruiting commercial or two.

Midas on October 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Awesome looking flick…and it should do well.

And that’s the problem…there shouldn’t be ‘live’ SEALs ‘showing’ their faces’.

Hmm…I guess the Navy thinks they’ll make the loss of ‘burning’ that many operators (and ALL the money they spent training them) with good PR.

I’m honestly conflicted. I love the film, it has the proper ‘feel’ to it.

It’s a ‘message’ that needs airing, especially with the leftist rabble being amassed for the coming election year.

But will the ‘return’ for the unseen cost of this film be worth it?

That’s the pebble in my boot.

CPT. Charles on October 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

The greatest war movie ever?

In Harms Way

BobMbx on October 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Kubrick’s Paths of Glory has got to be in this discussion. Not the best maybe, but certainly one of the est.

Akzed on October 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Plus Enemy at the Gates.

(It has nothing to do with Microsoft.)

Akzed on October 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Eastern-Front cinema verite’ – Made in the USA:

Cross of Iron (1977), by Sam Peckinpah.

Another Drew on October 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Dusty on October 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

If they ask for a percentage, it had better be of the “gross”;
no one gets paid on “net” – Hollywood accounting never allows any “net” (ask Jim Garner).

Another Drew on October 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Well, I have to say, if taxpayer money was spent on this…it’ll be the most well-spent $$ in three years :/

hopefloats on October 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Awesome!

Zorro on October 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War a Korean war film about the Korean War. Exceptionally brutal but a good story.

The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum is one of my favorites.

Yakko77 on October 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM

OhioCoastie on October 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Put him under the tracks!!!

Liked alot
George dzundza was great

Sonosam on October 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The greatest war movie ever?
In Harms Way
BobMbx on October 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Sure was a nce bikini scene for a fifties movie

Sonosam on October 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Has anyone seen the Russian film about their war in Afghanistan called 9th Company. I’ve seen some trailers and footage of it on YT but I’m not sure if there’s a dvd of it that is dubbed or subtitled.

Yakko77 on October 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Is this a movie or is it a training film for our enemies?

JellyToast on October 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Of one thing you can be certain. Our military doesn’t give away the goods this way. Whatever tactics are shown are already known. We won’t teach our enemies through a theater. Only our President gives away when he’s going to engage or disengage, the boots on the ground have brains.

Freelancer on October 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM