USCG warns staff after Occupy Boston protesters spit on Coast Guard officer

posted at 9:25 am on October 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

And here we were, being skeptical that the Occupy Movement was anything like the 1960s:

Coast Guard member spit on near Occupy Boston tents: MyFoxBOSTON.com

The Coast Guard in Boston confirmed that a woman in uniform was harassed and spat upon near Occupy Boston protesters.

The woman was walking to the train and said protesters spit on her twice, called her foul names and even threw a water bottle at her.

Now, the Coast Guard is warning all staff working on Atlantic Avenue to avoid those protesters while in uniform.

A spokesman for Occupy Boston tells Fox that anyone could have shown up at their protest to spit on and harass Coast Guard officers in an attempt to “defamate” the movement. Uh, sure. Two men spent time at Occupy Boston just on the off chance that a uniformed member of the armed forces might walk by so that they could spit on her — just to discredit the movement?

As Fox notes, it’s not the first time that OB leaders have used that excuse:

More than 140 Occupy Boston protesters were arrested earlier this week for refusing to cooperate with police on the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

The peaceful protestors say the violence wasn’t supposed to happen and a group of anarchists were the ones rebelling. They say they do not condone that type of behavior.

I know that this is already going to be the first reaction to this story among readers, but let me state it anyway. Had even one Tea Party rally resulted in 140 arrests, defecation on police cars, speakers calling for a violent French Revolution-style change in society, or members of the military getting attacked with spit and epithets, would the national media have offered such a balanced report — or would the media have used any of these incidents to warn America about the latent hate and violence in the movement?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What happened to the twinkles?

JellyToast on October 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM

ah ha!!! I knew there was a connection to the GOP and their spitting on the CBC memebers!!! … oh, wait…

gatorboy on October 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Let’s see Diane Sawyer and Brian Williams laud this in flowery language. 99 percent of the country supports the spitting, you know. Joe Scarborough says spitters have a point. “And I’m a Conservative Republican, but they do.”

Marcus on October 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Maybe this is why Biden warned us to gird our loins. It was a plan B in case Obama looked like he might not win a second term…

sandee on October 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Wow, it takes a real desperado to spit on a member of the Coast Guard. And a lady at that. I won’t stigmatize the whole group because that’s what they would do.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

If I were in the military, I would put on my uniform and walk by back and forth until someone assaulted me and then I would judge the situation and attack the person who assaulted me if possible.

I like to stir up trouble when I am in the right.

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Will the Democrats accept the spitting allegation as gospel or will they demand video or photographic evidence of the incident?

Doughboy on October 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

00:56 “defemate us”

Marcus on October 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

The ads just keep writing themselves – what with ebamao supporting them – I hope they are documenting them with pix!

Bambi on October 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I posted, I hope the next president issues an Executive Order that military uniformed personal have a great latitude in defending themselves.
Those that defend us, must be given a chance to defend themselves…and sorry, freedom of speech does not justify spitting on people and verbally harassing them in public…the military had every right to take those creeps down and make sure they are no longer a public nuisance.

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

That already happened when black congressman whats-his-face claimed he had been spit on by a TP’er, the jackspittle media went into full attack mode.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Cool. It’s getting close to the time when the real majority makes the authorities use hoses, batons, and rubber bullets. They. Need. It.

HomeoftheBrave on October 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Damn USCG fascist rescuers of ship crews and stranded hurricane survivors. They should all be tried and hung. And not necessarily in that order. Because it won’t be too long before the President starts ordering them to rescue people without giving them due process first.

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

At least the spokespeople are denouncing it.

Of course, Nancy Pelosi is still running with the spit story that nobody seems to recall except for her.

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

That’s exactly why you should…you know that is the general mindset, any authority is a threat…

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Why would anyone ever spit on a Coastie?
They’re the good guys, the ones that rescue you.
Nicest members of the Armed Services (Yes we have a couple over here checking containers that get shipped back).
Now we see the violence inherent in liberalism.

LincolntheHun on October 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Supreme Court rules spitting on other persons is protected speech.

BobMbx on October 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

She probably had the audacity to decline an offer for group sex.

BobMbx on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

00:56 “defemate us”

Marcus on October 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Hey, man, we’re freethinkers. Don’t start laying your fascist language rules on us. You’re getting all putdowny when we’re trying to be triptastic out here.

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

When their incompetent president is humiliated in Nov 2012, all hell will break loose. Spitting will be the least of the violence these entitlement 99 percenters will unleash. Gird your lions for sure.

jbh45 on October 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM

She probably had the audacity to decline an offer for group sex.

BobMbx on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I doubt it. They said the people that spit in her were male protesters.

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

The only way to know for sure, is for Occupy Boston to voluntarily turn over their roster of members…

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

“They are trying to defamate our movement…”, which is actually based on defecation. So…

Jaibones on October 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Heh.

Jaibones on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Well they evidently took their little party to Wall St. today and had confrontations with the Police. Cries of police brutality in
5 4 3 2

sandee on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

…would the media have used any of these incidents to warn America about the latent hate and violence in the [Tea Party] movement?

C’mon, Ed, the did warn about latent hate and violence. They just didn’t have any anecdotal evidence to support their claim, and had to manufacture / invent / lie about it.

ss396 on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I like to stir up trouble when I am in the right.

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Back in the 90′s, whilst at college and on the Rugby team… there were protests against Iraq 1 – with a few hundred people, namely bused in liberal out of towners. It got heated at one point – of which 12 or 15 of us, literally rucked over the crowd, with a few punches thrown.

Within 24 hours, 10 people were left protesting – while others claimed “they no longer felt safe to protest” Our team ended up with a slap on the wrist and 250 hours of combined community service to maintain our club status and minimal funding.

Bottom line, ruck over these clowns if and when possible – I not only love a good fight, I love being the 3:1 underdog.

Odie1941 on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

What really chaps my hide is that our military uniformed have to avoid a public park because of the aholes who have turned it into a miniature Gaza? Our defenders have to avoid the very ground they are defending?

How about this, the next time a military member is spit upon or assaulted, the National Guard is called out to clear the park, and I mean wipe it clean from end to end until not so much as a single stick of incense remains.

This is bullshiite and I’m getting angry about it. I need more coffee or something.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

If a member of the Coast Guard is what qualifies as “authority” to these folks there is no help for them.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Nancy Pelosi and the CBC walked right through the middle of a huge protest in DC while carrying that stupid giant gavel with an even bigger grin on her face in order to try and provoke an incident. In the end they had to lie about it.

This woman was just trying to get to her destination, and I seriously doubt someone in uniform would be stupid enough to provoke any kind of confrontation. Doing so would only get her in trouble with her command.

Mord on October 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

BobMbx on October 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

LOL! Y’all are too funny.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Fix bayonets and repel the invading horde of bottom feeders.

DeweyWins on October 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I really think I would have had to inflict some physical harm on the spitters.

darwin on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

If I EVER saw trash disrespecting one of our troops i’d first get in their face…then kick their azz!
I can hear it now: Mommmmmmy-a short middle-aged woman gave me an OWIE!
Waah.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM

10 to 1 they didn’t even know it was a USCG member. They have no clue what the different branches uniforms look like. That is no excuse of course, but in their simple brains anyone in a military uniform is a fascist tool of the system. A system run by the man they voted for and will vote for again…

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

These people are vermin. The dregs of humanity.

Mark1971 on October 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Odie1941 on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

You should come up to my place for BBQ and a pitcher of homebrew, you would fit right in with the people in my crowd. Bring a motorcycle though, we find that loud bikes have an intimidation factor like no other vehicle can produce (OMG…the Hell’s Angels are coming to get us!)

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Grind it in deep, Ed.

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Indeed, Ed. Indeed.

Weight of Glory on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

These people understand that if law and order breaks down it’s open season on them … right? Do they understand the restraint people all over the country have exhibited?

darwin on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I won’t stigmatize the whole group because that’s what they would do.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

No, it’s perfectly alright to stigmatize the whole group. Remember, these are people who do everything through consensus. So if one of them spits on a Coast Guard member, they all do.

Trafalgar on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I’m not sure I could tell a Coast Guard uniform from an Army one. My guess is these punks couldn’t either.

Count to 10 on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

they should be charged with assault.

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I just retired from the Air Force 1Aug..makes me want to put back on the uniform and go up there..It’s sad because I like the Boston area..idiots…

Static21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Breitbart has something big. These protesters are merely fools in much bigger plot.

bloggless on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

bloggless on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Jihadist organizations? Nice.

Keep providing those links and information on your site, you’re doing a good service here.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Trafalgar on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

No they just think they do everything by consensus, it’s half the fun of watching them.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM

“A spokesman for Occupy Boston tells Fox that anyone could have shown up at their protest to spit on and harass Coast Guard officers in an attempt to “defamate” the movement.”

Of course anyone could have shown up. OB invites anyone to show and welcomes anyone that shows up! It’s not like they have membership applications and ID cards.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Dusty on October 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Just like the 60s!

The sixties weren’t that bad. Just a few wildly over-publicized incidents from a handful of over-privileged bohemians making public spectacles of themselves, and mainly in the last couple of years of the decade.

It was the SEVENTIES when radicalism went mainstream. Everything that’s going on now is a re-hashing of that pathetic episode.

logis on October 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Trafalgar on October 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Should we, SHOULD WE, spit upon, SPIT UPON, members of the US military, MEMBERS OF THE US MILITARY, if you agree, IF YOU AGREE, show twinkle hands, SHOW TWINKLE HANDS…

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Anything is uniform is “authority” to these guys…boy scouts, girl scouts, Salvation Army…it doesn’t matter Cindy, lashing out is all they want to do…rules, anything with rules is a threat.

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

“The peaceful protestors”

How many times does this innocent descriptor make it into the news stories? It’s becoming as ubiquitous as “unexpectedly”. You can’t hear or read a story anymore about this swarming pestilence of humanity without this obligatory qualifier.

The media is our enemy.

rrpjr on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I want this violence they are trying to provoke.

docflash on October 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Ed, don’t forget all the anti-semitic ranting and signs they’ve been recorded with.

what if the tea party had done that?

juliesa on October 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM

NotCoach,

My thoughts exactly. This OWS rabble wouldn’t know the U.S. Army from the Salvation Army.

Mike Honcho on October 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM

OT: Got to see Drudge, he has top column individual photos of SCOAMF, Pelosi, and Dinnerjacket, each pointing their finger in the air. Quite a layout.

TXUS on October 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I expect that Jane Fonda will soon pop up in Tehran or Pyongyang.

Mark1971 on October 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM

WTF?

Excuse me,the people in uniform serving their country have to avoid the thugs? Why? Boston doesn’t have a police department that can keep the peace and protect citizens in public?

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I’d suggest that was projection on his part. His thought process: “If someone is really disagreeable to me, I will not only dislike them, I might even want to spit on them” (e.g. see Geraldo Rivera saying he would spit on Michelle Malkin if he saw her) “Those Republicans disagree with me. They must not like me. They must want to spit on me. They spit on me!”.

Honestly, would anyone here spit on someone? You have to have some combination of hate and self-righteousness to want to do that. It’s just not in me!

Paul-Cincy on October 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Clearly these idiots do not know the roll of the Coast Guard. They protect our waterways and are key in enviromental cleanup such as oil spills. They also aid in sea search and rescues. Not to mention the fact that they work very hard to keep drugs from coming into this country by protecting our ports as well.

I take this kind of behavior personally. You spit on one of us you spit on all of us.

milwife88 on October 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Brilliant!

Trafalgar on October 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM

“The peaceful protestors”

rrpjr on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

No doubt this is another of many incidents of violence. It’s assault. Try spitting on a cop.

Paul-Cincy on October 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Hey y’all. pay attention to Breitbart. I’ve been saying this all along. Pay attention because there’s a bigger plan behind all this.

HomeoftheBrave on October 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

You know who did a lot of that heavy lifting for cleaning birds, skimming oil, protecting the wetlands yada yada after the mean BP oil spill that BHO couldn’t suck up with a straw???? You know who that was you spittin’ tards???

IT WAS THE COAST GUARD!!!!!!!

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM

milwife88 on October 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Exactly, Amen!

Static21 on October 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Ed, Occupy Boston shut down a Food Bank drive slated for this weekend. Some people (therightsphere.com?) on twitter raised $2500 (in a few short hours) to donate to the boston food bank!

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Our future! Gives you a warm fuzzy doesn’t it?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM

We’re back to the 60s and 70s where these pigs spit on the military and called them vile names . . . I remember it well when going and returning from my Vietnam tours. Everything old is new again.

These are the Democrat’s people and don’t let anybody forget it.

rplat on October 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM

And when the Nazis landed spies in the US, it was the Coast Guard (patrolling the beaches on foot), who confronted them and this led to the capture of 8 spies and the discovery of the explosives they were planning to use on major US targets in the homeland.

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Don’t forget the Coast Guard was plucking people off their roofs after Katrina, when the levy broke and the 9th ward was flooded in New Orleans.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for the update, I saw that mentioned at Ace last night and he said that there had been an “Instalanche”. Good for them.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

You provide link, yes? I can use it to pummel some people on a certain site I visit.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

HomeoftheBrave on October 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

He knows the Left and understands their compulsive need to “organize”.

rrpjr on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Has anyone heard a peep from Big Sis, Dept of Homeland Security??? I remember she was soooo worried about the Tea Party, they published a warning pamphlet for law enforcement in April 2009.

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Anarchists behaving badly. Who’d have thought.

mchristian on October 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

These people are anti-American. This is now over the line.

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Here’s the original request, I don’t know where updates on results are located.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Our future! Gives you a warm fuzzy doesn’t it?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Actually it does, just a few more months of this idiocy, and we will have a candidate in the White House that won’t put up with this kind of stuff…the old saying “give them enough rope and they will hang themselves” is playing out with this liberal foolishness.
Everyone of these “protests” doesn’t give liberals votes, those votes they have, it gives us another vote of an independent that just is sick and tired of protesters, while they don’t have a job…
I hope these protests continue…and the young punks get exactly what they deserve…nothing…
This also highlights just how right the Tea Party was, just how civil, how American they were…and that will play out in the campaign, when we get to highlight how the dems support this kind of behavior, both from policy and ideology.
I love it…keep it up liberals, every day your poll numbers drop…what we need to do, is make sure every dem is on the record supporting these idiots…

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Bishop,

I don’t know how :/

I saw the tweets from @keder The twitter hash tag is: #BostonFoodBank. therightsphere.com has a donate page.

Hope this helps!

TN Mom

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Andrew Breitbart Launches Crowdsourcing Effort On #OWS Emails
—Andy

Last time Ace worked on something this big with Breitbart, a Dem congressman wound up resigning and the seat flipped to the GOP to boot.

So expectations are high.

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Arigatou gozaimasu.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

rplat on October 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Yep, brings back some really bad memories, doesn’t it?

Oldnuke on October 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I thought defamate was something one did on police cars.

MNHawk on October 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM

They’ve already defamed their own cause. They scream for a better environment, but litter, trash, and defacate where they please. They’re fast becoming a health issue. Not only among their own, but of those who live and work around their protest.

They shame themselves when they say they aren’t about violence, but spew it wherever, and whenever they can.

They demean themselves when they claim they’re anticapitalists, yet demand there needs and wants be met. All demands reek of capitalism.

They demand from those who work, when they themselves find themselves above menial labor, til things get better.

They offer no solutions. Just demands, and whine because things suck right now, and offer nothing in the way of making things better for all. Just themselves.

capejasmine on October 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Arigatou gozaimasu.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

You’re welcome!

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

only 1% of the country would spit on a woman in USCG uniform.

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM

capejasmine on October 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Bravo!!

ted c on October 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

capejasmine on October 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Bingo.

mankai on October 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Supreme Court rules spitting on other persons is protected speech.

Is hippie punching likewise protected speech? If spitting is, why wouldn’t it be?

Go ahead, boys… *let’s* play that way.

Dirty Creature on October 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Our future! Gives you a warm fuzzy doesn’t it?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Cindy if they got the utopia they are calling for- a collapse of capitalism . Which ones of these mooches could feed themselves by living off the land? Which ones, could hunt, farm or fish for their own food? What do they think happens when commerce stops? They don’t get to go to Starbucks and McDonalds or their local grocery store, where they think food comes from LOL! So they starve in their post capitalist utopia. That’s how nature works “Natural Selection” the strong survive, the genetically weak die off. These are not the intelligent in this so called occupy movement. These are the self indulgent, and they resent that life in America in an economic downturn, requires them to be self reliant -SEE post capitalist utopia. I don’t think they have thought through the foreseeable outcome if their movement was successful.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I actually considered this, as there are apparently several dozen (LOL) OWS sympathizers camping out in Duncan Plaza in New Orleans, but ultimately decided against it, mostly because I don’t think these people are worth the detour.

CantCureStupid on October 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Best way to get a counter movement going I can think of.

Speakup on October 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I went on Huffpo and of course there’s no mention of this, except in the comments from righties. The lefties are denying it happened, since it’s only been reported on a Fox station as far as they know.

Well, duh, most of the MSM has crawled up the butts of the protesters. My twitter feed is pulling up a lot of examples of hippy reporters who are admitting they can’t be objective about this, since they’re so excited about it.

juliesa on October 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

They think it through, they just think like a 2 year old does. They assume that those who produce now will continue producing in a post capitalist utopia. Being narcissistic morons they can’t think past their own base desires and understand that producers stop producing when incentives are removed.

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

“They” are pretty despicable. 3 or 4 years ago a chaplin I know was in his service uniform (Army greens) getting coffee at a local place, on his way to a home visit, and was confronted by a puke on a skate board shouting “baby killer” at him. The chaplin said “look I’m a chaplin” and pointed to the cross on his uniform. The puke said FU, spit on the chaplin, and skated off.

This was in Marin County, California.

SPCOlympics on October 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM

CantCureStupid on October 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I sympathies and would stand by your side under such a circumstance, but wouldn’t such an action run afoul of the rules governing political involvement by our service members?

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Breitbart has some breaking news…. they’ve got like 3900 emails exposing links to Obama and the Democrat party and these protests.

JellyToast on October 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM