USCG warns staff after Occupy Boston protesters spit on Coast Guard officer

posted at 9:25 am on October 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

And here we were, being skeptical that the Occupy Movement was anything like the 1960s:

Coast Guard member spit on near Occupy Boston tents: MyFoxBOSTON.com

The Coast Guard in Boston confirmed that a woman in uniform was harassed and spat upon near Occupy Boston protesters.

The woman was walking to the train and said protesters spit on her twice, called her foul names and even threw a water bottle at her.

Now, the Coast Guard is warning all staff working on Atlantic Avenue to avoid those protesters while in uniform.

A spokesman for Occupy Boston tells Fox that anyone could have shown up at their protest to spit on and harass Coast Guard officers in an attempt to “defamate” the movement. Uh, sure. Two men spent time at Occupy Boston just on the off chance that a uniformed member of the armed forces might walk by so that they could spit on her — just to discredit the movement?

As Fox notes, it’s not the first time that OB leaders have used that excuse:

More than 140 Occupy Boston protesters were arrested earlier this week for refusing to cooperate with police on the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

The peaceful protestors say the violence wasn’t supposed to happen and a group of anarchists were the ones rebelling. They say they do not condone that type of behavior.

I know that this is already going to be the first reaction to this story among readers, but let me state it anyway. Had even one Tea Party rally resulted in 140 arrests, defecation on police cars, speakers calling for a violent French Revolution-style change in society, or members of the military getting attacked with spit and epithets, would the national media have offered such a balanced report — or would the media have used any of these incidents to warn America about the latent hate and violence in the movement?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I am sure I have worn this train of thought out but the way I see it, if our entire system collapsed, no matter what was put in it’s place, people’s lots in life would probably remain the same. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be awful but I think the producers would find a way to produce, the crooks would find a way to leech off others, and the workers would still work and the whiners would still whine. The big difference now is that no one is pigeonholed and can work hard to change (or decide to become a slacker) and impact their direction. Every other option keeps people firmly in their place.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Odie1941 on October 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM
You should come up to my place for BBQ and a pitcher of homebrew, you would fit right in with the people in my crowd. Bring a motorcycle though, we find that loud bikes have an intimidation factor like no other vehicle can produce (OMG…the Hell’s Angels are coming to get us!)

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I’m there. Though due to a horrific YZ 250 accident, I haven’t been on any type of motorcycles in 20+ years.

But I can carry more homebrew than side saddles ;)

Odie1941 on October 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

No true Occupy Boston protestor would do such a thing? How can you tell? Everyone has a different reason for being there it seems…

EA_MAN on October 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

This woman was just trying to get to her destination, and I seriously doubt someone in uniform would be stupid enough to provoke any kind of confrontation. Doing so would only get her in trouble with her command.

Mord on October 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

For those not familiar with Coast Guard Base Boston (my Dad was stationed there), it’s basically only got one way in and one way out.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

It is possible that in the short term you might be right. But in the long term things would progressively get worse as new generations of potential producers produce nothing without being incentivized to do so. But your future is only possible if there is no purging of undesirables. And name one Communist or Socialist revolution when all the producers weren’t purged? The inevitable results of course were economies that collapsed entirely followed by brutal oppression of all so that the ruling elite could stay in power.

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

If I were in the military, I would put on my uniform and walk by back and forth until someone assaulted me and then I would judge the situation and attack the person who assaulted me if possible.

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Actually I would pair up with another military member in uniform, and also bring a video camera with me!

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I sympathies and would stand by your side under such a circumstance, but wouldn’t such an action run afoul of the rules governing political involvement by our service members?

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Duncan Plaza is VERY close to City Hall, so there are any number of reasons to be in the area that have nothing to do with this rabble, but as I say… Not worth the detour. Besides, this is still the South. I expect anyone who spit on this female soldier (or any service member, for that matter) would not enjoy the response they’d get from anyone who witnessed it.

CantCureStupid on October 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

10 to 1 they didn’t even know it was a USCG member. They have no clue what the different branches uniforms look like. That is no excuse of course, but in their simple brains anyone in a military uniform is a fascist tool of the system. A system run by the man they voted for and will vote for again…

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

There are several different USCG Female uniforms. The main one is basically the same as the Navy’s. They also even have CG Camo

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

True enough, but on the upside, for a brief period it would be relatively easy to eliminate many liberals during the initial chaos of anarchy.

They think that the revolution favors them. Revolutionaries usually stick to countries that have an unarmed populace. I think they’d be a bit disappointed when they try to wreak havoc in the rural areas.

TugboatPhil on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Just payback for the Tea Party spitting on the Congressional Black Caucus before the Obamacare vote. /s

conservnut on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

BULLSH-T! You “peaceful protesters” OWN this! This group of anarchists represents your whole festering movement. This is what you really want, but don’t have the onions to do yourselves, because you are cowards.

CurtZHP on October 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM

They don’t even need a real event to call us racists. They made up the story that a Tea Party member called a member of congress the “N” word. Breitbart still has a $100,000 reward for video of the name calling.

csdeven on October 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

jeffn21 on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I would bring a friend dressed in a hoodie and stocking cap who is fluent in twinkle to do the videoing. He could probably get some good crowd reaction shots.

Lily on October 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Agree, isn’t that what we are watching in Europe? I still haven’t found out what “austerity” means in Europe but it sure must be awful since they are taking to the streets over it. I wonder if their protesters are as clueless as our protesters?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

TugboatPhil on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Long live the Second Amendment!!! Some days the thought of being “off the grid” is so appealing.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

TugboatPhil on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

They certainly would receive a much needed lesson in civility and MYOB.

chemman on October 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I wonder if their protesters are as clueless as our protesters?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Short answer; yes. It is all about wanting everything for nothing. No matter their age, none of them have ever grown up.

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Being off the grid is not for the faint of heart which is why these whiners would find themselves in serious hurt when they showed up.

chemman on October 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Back in the day we found that a dungaree liberty worked wonders.

Oldnuke on October 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Cindy, there actually is a model people can look to, to see the success of a non capitalist society. In the old soviet union, people were standing in long lines for toilet paper. Now I am not accusing any of the OWS folks of using toilet paper ;) I think, they all should try occupying a shower stall. The socialist experiment has been tried many, many times, and it fails always. There is also known outcomes for totalitarian governments, over taxing their populations – the black-market swells and thrives. People – Humans will adapt and go around what impedes their natural inclinations.

Every generation thinks it has to reinvent the wheel. The people who inherited this country from the previous generations, have actually been given a sweet set up. Some are just too self indulgent and short sighted to recognize their fortunate luck to have been born in the U.S.A.

I for one am thankful, I was born here, and not a closed society like North Korea or Saudi Arabia. Iran is actually trying a man for converting to Christianity a guilty verdict results in an execution. OWS wouldn’t be allowed to spit on someone in uniform in any of those countries I listed.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

This must be a mistake, because things like this don’t actually happen, as they didn’t happen to our Vietnam vets either.

Except they did, my late husband was one of them.

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Time for some attitude adjustments IMHO.

This will get out of hand and maybe thats what Zero wants, since these are his protests.

Ed is correct. If the Tea Party acted this way the state run media would trumpet it and exaggerate it all day every day.

dogsoldier on October 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Sorry little lefties, you set the rules.

If one idiot out of 1,000 shows up at a Tea Party rally, he is immediately connected to every GOP and/or conservative who ever lived; their kids, their grankids and their next-door neighbor.

There are calls on the floor of the House and Senate for all GOP members to go on record to condemn the actions of 1 individual as though they were committed by the thousands in attendance.

Every single GOP politician is then to be questioned on the act of that 1 individual on every interview for a period of 14 days, and then TOTUS will use the anectdote (starting with “There are those who…”) for a period of 90 days.

Own it, morons.

reaganaut on October 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

BHO was so saddened when a service member was boo’d at the debate and how that reflected on the Republican Party. I wonder if he’ll comment on a service member being spat upon. Or is his concern only aroused when there is $$$ concerned.

29Victor on October 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM

We go as far as we can to destabalize [sic], but maintain momentum. And when that’s the new “normal” then we go farther. That’s how change happens, how we shift the terrain and the terms of the game.

This theory of the “new normal” is central to the revolutionary vanguard. What Obama is doing now with unemployment, energy prices and the general depressed state of human expectation in America is all about the “new normal.” That it is overtly stated here is beautiful. Breitbart’s effort to expose this may produce the biggest story of our time — not because the revelations are shocking as they relate to the Left’s old game, but because they may lead to an interconectedness among the ruling democrat elite and this fact being widely understood by the public.

We’re at war. The forces are more defined each day. This is organized insurrection against the social order, or the notion of social orderliness and republican government. These people are hardcore revolutionaries who despise America and wish to crash and burn the “system.” They believe — really believe — their moment has come. This is a direct result of the Left’s rise — both slowly through the academy, media and culture over the last 50 years, and speedily and frighteningly over the past 15 years under Clinton and Bush and Obama. The Left evolved into a real force under Bush and realized its power and potential as never before. This was fed by the denial and silence of the GOP. The GOP’s nonfeasance has been unforgiveable — truly. It continues to be. In any sane world, that eight presidential candidates could “debate” and never once mention the “Left” and its depredations is incredible. We’re reaping the harvest of this failure and denial right now. Obama is the final stage, or what the Left wishes to be the final stage.

The GOP is useless. Breitbart and a few others man the ramparts and conduct a guerrila war campaign. He calls for “citizen journalism.” That and the outrage it might provoke may be America’s only hope.

rrpjr on October 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Being narcissistic morons they can’t think past their own base desires and understand that producers stop producing when incentives are removed.

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I get why the authorities are humoring them – they think it keeps the movement from escalating into anything else. In the North East, the cold weather and snow is going to start blowing soon. The authorities thinking the rabble will clear out, when it starts getting uncomfortable to protest. I think they are probably right.

The problem I have is a line has been crossed “harassment” does not equal protesting. It is law enforcement’s duty to protect and serve. That means the people who pay them – the tax paying citizens, should be able to walk down any street in any form of garment of their choosing – it’s still a free country, and not be accosted or harassed. There are laws on the book for breaking the peace. I doubt seriously the OWS rabble are tax paying property owners, they don’t appear to have any respect for public or private property.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM

chemman on October 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I’m sure I couldn’t hack it either.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

It is truly sad when people don’t know and appreciate what they have.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I agree. During the London riots it was disgusting how nothing was done by authorities to protect people and property. We are seeing the same thing here as well. The only difference being that OWS has not turned into a full blown riot. Will authorities do the right thing if it does?

NotCoach on October 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

A visit to the “Occupy Boston” crowd by Rolling Thunder should go a long way to adjusting the attitude of the protestors toward the military. The days of spitting on military members and getting away with it are long past. They want a free education. If they keep spitting on the military they will get one.

kanda on October 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I can hear it now: Mommmmmmy-a short middle-aged woman gave me an OWIE!
Waah.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Yup.
“Moooommm. some old lady just beat me up”

katy the mean old lady on October 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Hey why didn’t I read about this important news in the Boston Globe today?

Oh yeah, nevermind…

shanimal on October 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Boston dot com had a live chat session yesterday with a spokeman for Occupy Boston. You should check it out. The guy got totally PUNK’D and in the end had to admit that he is 25 and doesn’t really know alot about these issues, and they really need some conservative voices to join the movement. He ended it by basically waving a white flag. He did point out that most of them lean liberal. Shocking, I know.

shanimal on October 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Vs.

“The bourgeoisie won’t go without violent means”

Speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Media, you have a responsibility.

shick on October 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hey why didn’t I read about this important news in the NY Times-owned Boston Globe today?

Oh yeah, nevermind…

shanimal on October 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Fixed.

BTW, your follow-up post refers to boston.com; that is the Boston Globe’s online presence.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM

TugboatPhil on October 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Yeah. Not advisable.

98ZJUSMC on October 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I just saw two NYPD trucks heavily laden with police barriers screaming south down Avenue A with sirens blaring. I wonder what’s going on – it looks like some emergency containments is underway.

Sharke on October 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM

This is surely a taste of things to come. Expect riots to take place in many cities late November 2nd 2012 and on November 13th after Obama’s concession speech.

Hope you have plenty of ammo.

Scorched_Earth on October 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Gee, we had no idea that anarchists infiltrated our movement and are fomenting violence–no idea!

Just like Seattle 1999.

Christien on October 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Just like Seattle 1999.

Christien on October 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Or Vancouver on the night of June 15 2011. In that case they infiltrated into the ranks of Vancouver Canucks hockey fans!

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM

some boston city hacks are floating the line that because they were previously sued by an anti-gay neonazi group( (that wanted a permit to march in a southie parade and were turned down. the nazis sued the city and won- a judge ruled the denial unconstitutional) , they are tolerating the moist dirty hempalumpas, who do not even have a permit, because if they remove them and they sue it will cost the city more money than letting them illegally rot there for eternity.

mumbles menino, the azztastic mayor, is, however, a gross incompetent this side of mao lefty liberal. he probably agrees with the lolbrats. he’s just off his successful crusade to keep jobs and economic growth out of one of the city’s most crime ridden and troubled areas, roxbury, by denying wallmart the privilege of building a store in his fiefdom. previously he wrestled sugar soft drinks from city property vending machines and kept low cost health clinics out of local pharmacies- because he’s a eco-warrior or something. mumbles also has a track record of denying areas of boston with outrageous homicide rates from getting additional police details- best to pay them for standing over gross soggy unwashed white anarchists than saving black lives in our inner city.

like i said, our mumbles is a social justice warrior for all that is good.

occupy boston has kept several for profit events off the greenway as well- events that had paid for permits months ago and now must cancel for the season. a lot of food events to promote local businesses which have been hurting. but f them and wallmart too- mumbles is in charge and he’ll tolerate whomever he likes no matter what they do to destroy the city.

mittens on October 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM

“Defemate,” huh?

Didn’t one of the OWSers defemate on a police car?

Wingo on October 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Defamate? Sounds like a Menino-ism
Portable toilet: Potta potty
Big screen: Jumbletrom
Gathering (on the common): Conjugatin’ (congregating)

“That really, you know, fries my nose”–from an ABC special on him
“Together, we can beat prostrate (sic) cancer”–Public serv announcement

raccoonradio on October 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM

kanda on October 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

+1000

Well said, and so very true.

iurockhead on October 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM

According to the local moonbats, this is just a “right wing meme”.

Um, yeah… because the US military always warns their service personnel to avoid walking by “memes” while in uniform.

Chickyraptor on October 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Been there and had it happen when returning from Vietnam. Nice to see that the long hair, no repect for those who keep them free so they can protest still have not figured it our. Maybe they could help in Syria? I’m sure the beleagured people of that county could use the help. Of course, they shoot those who protest versus protecting them. Hum, maybe there is a lesson that the 99% could learn from the 53% who support them.

Of couerse, many of the protestors are the children of the ones who spit and called baby killer to our Vietnam Vets so guess the situation just continues on?

Rockman44 on October 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM