Rick Perry: My wife is right

posted at 2:45 pm on October 14, 2011 by Tina Korbe

A preview of Rick Perry’s energy development plan and his interview on “Good Morning America” this morning remind me why I still like the guy. He’s made his fair share of mistakes on the campaign trail so far, that’s for sure, but, then, which candidate hasn’t? (Mitt Romney, maybe, but an errorless campaign is the whole substance of his strategy and its effectiveness is debatable.) For the most part, Perry still has the right ideas and the right priorities to ensure that the U.S. follows Texas’ lead to create the jobs the nation so desperately needs right now.

His wife stole the spotlight last night when she claimed her husband has suffered in the polls because of his Christian faith. Perry didn’t disavow her comments this morning on GMA — but he managed to make them sound a whole lot less, well, desperate. Instead, he used them as a platform to reiterate: Yes, I am a conservative. Yes, I am a Christian. My wife is right.

It’s as if Perry, at least, gets it that, far from harming his chances in a GOP primary, his Christian conservatism would help him — if he would just tout it by clearly articulating his policy views and — in the vein of Herman Cain — not play the victim card. No more “heartless” comments, Mr. Perry. No more defensive, disconnected debate performances.

Impressively, he’s not defensive with George Stephanopoulos at all — and you can bet the ABC anchor’s political views are far less in alignment with Perry’s than his GOP competitors. The lower third that spans the screen of the interview says, “Perry’s defense,” but Perry sounds laid-back and likable through the entire exchange. He patiently answers every question and doesn’t succumb to the temptation Stephanopoulos offers to personally criticize his wife, Herman Cain or Robert Jeffress. The Texas governor does criticize Cain’s 9-9-9 plan — but on its substance. About Cain, Perry says only, “Herman Cain is one of the most interesting people on the stage.” Who could disagree with that?

The best bit of the interview comes midway through, when Perry delivers a defense of his job creation record, which has yet to be (and really can’t be) discredited. He’s confident in what he has accomplished in the past — and confident about what he plans to do in the future. This is the Rick Perry I like to see. One-on-one interviews with polite news anchors don’t erase Perry’s dismal debate performances, but they do demonstrate that an implosion is not imminent. Perry’s funds run fathoms deep right now, and he says he hopes to make progress every day … in his debate performances. It might seem a little laughable that a presidential candidate with so much executive experience wasn’t better prepared to take the national stage in the first place, but Perry’s not going anywhere anytime soon — and, as he polishes his presentation, voters will begin to remember why they were originally enthusiastic about his entrance.

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here’s a Man who knows what he’s writing about.
Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM

“A reader writes in, furiously asserting that “the talentless hacks at National Review” are responsible for Mitt Romney’s hard-to-dislodge frontrunner or near-frontrunner status.”

Maybe he’s referring to the constant barrage of slop like this:

The leading establishment Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, wants to cut their capital-gains taxes. The leading tea-party presidential candidate, Herman Cain, wants to raise their taxes.

Akzed on October 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

What kind of man sends out his wife to whine and get criticized on his behalf? This so-called man should be ashamed of himself. He should go hide under a rock somewhere…and as I recall, he has one in his hunting lodge.

Chudi on October 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Oh, shut the hell up.

His wife says something at a luncheon and suddenly it’s all because he “sent her out there” to say it?

Go soak your head.

Midas on October 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Definitely whipped.

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

You win bless your heart.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

A little too late.

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He’s always late. It took him a week to offer a non-appology for his “heartless” comment.

And he won’t repudiate Robert Jeffress statement either.

Perry shouldn’t be anywhere near the White House.

Conservative Samizdat on October 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Good thing most don’t have to be in a ditch with some of you, fighting a war.

It’s been fun to observe transitions and convictions.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

the CNN interview is a better interview. Why are you guys blocking the link?

eaglesdontflock on October 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You win bless your heart.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

You whipped Red Cloud, who’s confused about what happened.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

And he won’t repudiate Robert Jeffress statement either.

Perry shouldn’t be anywhere near the White House.

Conservative Samizdat on October 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

He’s waiting on instructions from his wife.

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Perry’s wife is fiercely independent. He doesn’t “send her out”.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Perry’s wife is fiercely independent. He doesn’t “send her out”. Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

“Fiercely independent” is not an attribute normally packaged with “whiney and thin-skinned.”

And dude, come on, how can you say what he does or doesn’t have his wife do like that?

Akzed on October 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Okay. Let’s pretend for a second that there is a great deal of contempt and apprehension from both the science-or-nothing Liberal and progressive GOP establishments towards Conservative Christians on the Right, particularly those more vocal and proud about their faith. Let’s pretend the suspicion and derision exists and has been increasing for the past 5 years, to the point that it seems you can’t even mention the words “God” and “prayer” as a politician less you be considered defective as a potential office-holder. What then?

RepubChica on October 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

You whipped Red Cloud, who’s confused about what happened.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Computers in kitchens these days. What’s next?

(My tongue has been planted firmly in cheek since this thread started… sorry you couldn’t tell)

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Mitt has a pastor calling his faith a reason to vote against him. Perry doesn’t. As long as a candidate governs from the Constitution and not scripture, their faith shouldn’t be an issue.

dedalus on October 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I’m confused…

I think you mean to say that Perry has a Pastor who has stated people shouldn’t vote for Mitt because of his faith in the primaries and that Romney doesn’t have a religious figure lecturing people to not vote for a candidate simply because of their religion.

And I agree with you. As long as a candidate governs from the Constitution and not scripture, their faith shouldn’t be an issue.

Conservative Samizdat on October 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Me too. But I have not conceded it all to Romney. We must fight now and tell the media/elites to go to hell. Whoever makes it from the C side will be infinitely better than the other.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM

All the more reason to get behind someone else that might be surging. I know that sounds cheap; but for me, Perry was my compromise candidate. I didn’t have anything much invested in him. When he started going around calling people heartless (and dropping in the polls, BTW); he outlived his usefulness, politically speaking.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Cain/Bolton, for the liberals’ heads to be made into shards.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Perry’s wife is fiercely independent. He doesn’t “send her out”.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Yeah, and he can’t risk her continuing this stuff. She’s already slipped up two times.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM

This one’s not tongue in cheek – I have a great deal of respect for you Schadenfreude. Enjoy reading your comments.

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Women love ya, dude.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Women love ya, dude.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Understatement of the day! :-P

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Red Cloud on October 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Thanks and same here. Don’t take things personal around here. My nom is carefully chosen to be impervious to attacks :)

Just to be clear – computer’s NOT in the kitchen. You have a great weekend. We’ve got big ‘wars’ to fight.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Cain/Bolton, for the liberals’ heads to be made into shards.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Cain/Bachmann … just to watch libs attack blacks and women at the same time! ;)

J/K

Right now, I’m leaning Gingrich/Cain.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Just not Romney/Obama

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

You win bless your heart.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

You whipped Red Cloud, who’s confused about what happened.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Remember the movie “White Men Can’t Jump” The Gloria Clemente Rule of Winning.

Gloria Clemente: Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

Winning an argument on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics even if you win you’re still special ;)

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I’m afraid Cain will succumb to Romney’s money and VPship. In this case he’d be through with the TEA Party creds, for good.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM

This is just too funny.

How can anyone support this clown?

petunia on October 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I agree. How can anyone support Mitt?
///

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Love it. Thanks for sharing. Not much into movies, except few good ones, but love to read.

We’re not here to win. We’re here to play, be amused, distracted. It’s more addictive and better than chess…so long as we win next Nov., the trifecta, that is. The land can afford no less. She’s on a big pivot.

Nice nom, and thanks for yer fighting spirit.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

This is just too funny.

How can anyone support this clown?

petunia on October 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM

You are so right. Someone will have to hold me down, cover my nose for a few seconds, and force my hands onto the ballot, to vote for Romney.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

alt, thanks for helping me spot that nutty woman.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The Governor’s wife reminds me of mine. She has her opinion…and I’m entitled to it.

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

In case you did not see the video, make sure you watch the last part. It is profound.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Wise men learn to say “yes, Dear, whatever you wish”, early on. Then the wives go about their business and you can do whatever you wanted to do in the first place. Do the reverse and they’ll hound you.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I think I am going to begin rename Perry and begin calling him Bozo, because he is beginning to become very clownish and I guess we can call his wife Clarabelle.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on October 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Vanceone on October 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I’m a Perry supporter but I don’t think he’s G-d.
‘k

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM

OK, Gingrich then.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Bill Cosby used to have this Marriage ‘monologue’ and he said that the part of the vows that the wife pays the most attention to is the part about promising to obey…and he will KEEP obeying if he knows what’s good for him!
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

alt, thanks for helping me spot that nutty woman.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

My pleasure.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Nice nom, and thanks for yer fighting spirit.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I think fellow commenters know me by now on HA, I have as sense of humor and I love the snark.

Sure I like to troll hunt, and slap trolls around, I mean who doesn’t, it doesn’t mean I am evil….oh right.

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

LOL. I’m just happy that the obsessor and his/her running buddy aren’t around ruining threads today.

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Perry will not repudiate the pastor because there’s more of this to come. Mark my word that Perry’s minions will use the religion club to bash Romney until the dirty end. He is going straight for the evangelical vote which may be a great strategy if you’re competent and running for the Republican nom, but will be a deal killer in the general for independents like me. His politics are disgusting.
hot-heir on October 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM

So far Perry’s anti-Mormon club wielding has only led to self inflicted wounds. His refusal to repudiate the nutty “pastor” – who’s just as virulently anti-Catholic – is making it even more his own personal RevWright-albatross.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Dr Evil on October 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Indeed

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Enough of his wife and Perry’s interview with Steph. How was his delivery on the energy/jobs speech? That’s what will get him back into the race, IMHO.

Steve Z on October 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Steve Z on October 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

A Texas Republican who is for oil drilling probably won’t be at the top of the news for very long, for some odd reason. Especially with Palin having already expounded on the topic and with no serious GOP candidate being anti-energy.

whatcat on October 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Perry did FIVE morning shows today, and the two interviews I saw were very good. He did the Kudlow show on CNBC last night too, and was also good.

juliesa on October 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM

He was really good on the Today Show with Matt Lauer. Answered the biased questions about his wife and Jefress and stayed on message about creating jobs. All done with a smile on his face. He was great.

I missed most the GMA interview, so I’ll go watch the vid posted by Tina.

Oh, and Tina, great post. Makes up for the misreporting of Barbour’s remarks yesterday.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Say what you will about Mittens, but he’s honed his bullsh-tting….errrr, debate skills to perfection.

Doughboy on October 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

If Gov. Perry is the Republican Nominee and doesn’t do well in any debates with B.O., do you think they will vote for B.O.? Based on debates and knowing our Country is at stake?

I understand the polls are based on these MSM debates, but don’t think the General Election would be.

We’ll know more after a few Primaries anyway. Advancing them and having constant debates now, is harmful. It is also disadvantageous to Gov. Perry & Ron Paul, as they have elective duties to attend to. Bachmann has already missed 58% of House votes since July 1. The other Candidates have nothing to do except campaign.

I read today is the last day to Register in New York to vote in the April Primary. That is another concern with these advancing Primaries. Voters may need to Register a lot earlier or many won’t be able to vote at all!!

bluefox on October 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Meh………

I’m glad he didn’t throw his wife under the bus, but I think it’s time for him and her to go back to Texas and let others try to defeat Romney.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Too bad for you that won’t be happening. He’s got $17 million reasons why. Rove reminded viewers last night that exactly four years ago Huckabee was sitting at 6% and went on to win IA. There’s still plenty of time for things to happen.

He’s the most conservative candidate who has the best record and who has the means to pull this off.

Cain’s 999 is atrocious and is already being seen as such. He’ll never win.
Bachmann’s got that crazy thing going on and is only a Representive.
Paul, see above.
Santorum is painted as crazy and he couldn’t even get re-elected to his senate seat five years ago.
Huntsman, who? Oh, the Obama BFF and ambassador. Yeah. No.
Gingrich is the smartest and most articulate but he has a U-HAUL truck full of baggage, he was only ever in the House, and he QUIT his Speakership. Plus, he attacked Palin after Tuscon, he attacked Ryan’s budget, he sat on the couch with Pelosi, and he supported Dede. No gonna happen.

Perry is the only viable non-Romney and he has a stellar record. He’s the only one who can stop this runaway train that Romney’s stealing (by moving up the primaries).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Oh, and Meathead, who are these “others” who speak of? Bachmann, Santorum, and Cain are all stalking horses for Romney and couldn’t win the nomination if their life depended on it. There is no “others”, Perry’s the only non-Romney who can do this.

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM

bluefox on October 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I wonder if any dates have been changed… if so, then I was right when I said that Romney is taking voters’ voices away.

Romney is stealing this election and it’s not earning him any goodwill from voters who like other candidates. How he thinks he can win the general when he’s acted like scum in the primaries, I have no idea. Also, if he can’t win the primaries on his own merits, how is he going to win the general where he won’t have any friends pulling strings for him?

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Fine, Gingrich.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

A good voice from HA’s past.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Fine, Gingrich.

MeatHeadinCA on October 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

And on Newt I wrote:

Plus, I left out that he has no money.

Perry is it IF we’re serious about not wanting Romney. Not only is Romney a Dem in GOP clothing, but he won’t beat Obama.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Looks like the Perry sticker’ll be staying on the car LoL… and I’ll certainly be saving a pretzel for the gas jets!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

And if we’re “stuck” with Perry being the only viable non-Romney, he’s got a great record to be “stuck” with. We’ve never run a three-term gov. who has signed tort reform and three balanced budgets. He unites the three-legs of the stool beautifully: he served in the military and believes in a strong defense; he is fiscally conservative and is even proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution, and he’s pro-life and pro-family.

His mistakes are FAR fewer and more forgivable than the other candidates’ mistakes.

His pros far outweigh his cons.

I’m happy to be stuck with him.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Here’s a preview of Perry’s speech tonight. Oh my, how the envirocommies are going to howl:

bitsy on October 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM

For all my friends at hotair I am trying to score where we are as a community on the GOP Nominees. As people indicated or stronly allude to support one candidate I list them together. The second part of the list is what I see everyone listing as negatives for one or more candidates. If I have you under wrong candidate just let me know with ” I support/My choice is____” same for negatives on Candidates “NEG: Schmucatelli – hates puppies” i will try to update post one per week until primaries are over. Here is where we stand now (Note I am only covering top 4 at any given time):

Herman Cain – HA Supporters: Puncheko, SlaveDog, BierMan VA, Apologetic, Robert_Paulson, 2Tru2Tru, Astonerii,
redfoxbluestate, DrW, Steve Z, RalphBoy, Dingbat63, Canopfor
Ninjapirate, Katy the mean old lady, Knucklehead, Rational Thought
Prtlandon, Keep the Change, Lily, Deedtrader, ronsfi.

Rick Perry – HA Supporters: Bluefox, Cmsinaz, Dr. evil, Aslans Girl
Gophergirl, annoyinglittletwerp.

Mitt Romney – HA Supporters: Swamp Yankee, Petunia.

Newt Gingrich – HA Supporters: Puncheko, Redlizard64, Hellcat, Carbon_footprint, Unseen, DKCZ, Darwin, sandee, Daemonocracy,
Ameripundit, Georgealbert, Don L, Sharrukin, VBMax, El_Terrible
ProudPalinFan, El Terrible, Doughboy.

Remember be passionate now about your choice even if you change it, be reasoned in your presentations, civil in your discourse and when all is said and done its OBAMA we are actually trying to depose!

RedLizard64 on October 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

RedLizard64 on October 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Sheryl, MJ Brutus, and csdeven are also Mitt supporters.
Marcus is a Perry supporter. I think that Dire Straits is also a Perry supporter.
*They were left off your lists* *smiles*
Btw:Canopfor is a terrific cat…but he’s Canadian.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I so agree. I’ve watched most of the videos and or read the texts of his Fox&Friends/Good Morning America/ and other Network interviews. Rightscoop had his Energy Plan live, but it wasn’t up when I checked and missed it live. Grrrr:-) I’d like to see the video. Will look for it.

bluefox on October 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

It’s not surprising that the MSM has been lax on Romney and all things Mormon. If he gets the nomination, the attacks will start. In fact, I’m pretty sure the NYT is already set to go all McCain on him the moment he becomes the GOP guy. The article is probably already written. You can be sure that by November 2012, Wahhabism and devil worship are gonna sound mainstream compared to Mormonism. Newsweek already has published its mocking cover story but they’ll all be piling on in order to help Prez SCOAMF.

PC14 on October 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM

RedLizard64 on October 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

You had better scratch Puncheko aka Flame off that Cain list. It’s a Newt supporter, Cain trasher and troll extraordinaire.

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Gingrich in May ’11, supports a form of amnesty:

IIRC, he supported amnesty years ago, too. In fact, it was before his AGW/couch embrace.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Does Perry have to debate Obama?

Anyway Obama’s statements come with an expiration date and he is terrible at interviews off script and angry.

Perry should continue interviews and hammer Obama. More Ed Henry questions to Obama with repub names will make him look and sound bad. Plus, Solyndra and Fast and Furious could make up coming interviews for Obama worse.

meMC on October 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Does Perry have to debate Obama?

No, he could lock himself in the bathroom and refuse to come out.

meMC on October 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

And what Perry has in his background will be trotted out for all to see as well. You can’t win if you are too bust trying to hide your candidate and explaining away what he said and did all the time.

sharrukin on October 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM

sharrukin on October 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM

BOR was on rampage tonight because Perry still won’t do an interview on his show. The Huckster threw Perry under the bus again.

Knucklehead on October 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Tina, in about one month Perry has made more mistakes than the Detroit Lions the year they went 0-16.

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

sharrukin on October 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Lots of “pay to play” schemes and gifts from mega donors and special interests (Rose Bowl vacation for the family with chartered aircraft, hunting trips, family vacations in Europe and Asia) – stuff that Texans shrug off as “good ol’ boys wheeling and dealing” but things that would have generated ethics investigations in virtually any other state.

Remember when then-New York Governor David Patterson got in trouble for accepting four Yankees World Series tickets? That’s chump change in PerryWorld.

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Oh sure! Only 20% of those jobs went to Texans or other Americans.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Perry is sinking almost by the day. Even Gingrich is now ahead of him (RAS poll) and I think his own wife may have just sunk him to the bottom of the ocean with her little performance of “We are being brutalized by our opponents, and our own party. So much of that is, I think they look at him, because of his faith”.

Think about that statement of hers. It is like a MOACB (Mother of all Cluster Bombs)! It brings back Perry’s “heartless” smear. It plays the “faith card” like the “race card”. It plays the poor little victim card. It all but says his opponents hate Jesus. I guess this means a lot more than just the Mormons are cast out. And it makes him look like a whimp even if he is wearing Texas style boots. When you are a little boy and get in a fight it doesn’t look good to have your mom come out and fight for you. It doesn’t look much better when you are a grown man and your wife comes out to fight for you. Perry’s wife may have just written his epitaph.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

He’s also got a land deal problem.

Bought and sold the land (Horseshoe Bay) to two business partners.

The seller Doug Jaffe got $2.5 million from the Texas Enterprise Fund.

Ron Mitchell the middleman didn’t take a commision from Perry, and Perry appointed Mitchell to the Texas State University System Board of Regents.

Alan Moffatt the buyer was an arms dealer who was involved with Peak Aviation flying guns and weapons into Rwanda during the genocide that killed 800,000.

The land was purchased $150,00 undervalue and sold at $350,000 overvalue.

I suspect that this may come up during the campaign.

sharrukin on October 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 5:09 It seems several of the States have moved their dates up, but N.H. is waiting on Nevada.

This really is not good. It benefits the “front runners”, but none of the others. In addition, the voters don’t know and many need to register. “Somebody” is behind this, since States don’t normally do this without being pushed. Yes, it’s all political. What a shame. I don’t recall this kind of thing to this extent before.

It appears that New Hampshire may change it’s date to December if Nevada doesn’t change their date for their Caucus.

Florida has set theirs for January 31, 2012

bluefox on October 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Perry’s problem isn’t that everyone is out to get him, it is that he did bad in the debates and supported illegal aliens getting a college education. Where are these illegals supposed to work after they graduate? They are illegals!!!

In order to get the in-state tuition rate, the kids have to sign an affidavit stating that they are on a path to permanent residency. They have to have graduated from a TX high school (or obtained a GED there, I think), and they have to have lived in the state for a minimum of three years.

The vast majority of the kids involved (less than one percent of the total number of students in TX higher ed) are in two-year schools, learning trades.

It sounds like you may not be aware of this, but the SCOTUS ordered in 1982 that children of illegals must be admitted to American schools K-12, because they are held blameless for their parents’ actions. It was actually Texas that was involved in the dispute, and Texas lost.

So what Texas has done is extend to those kids who want to be on a permanent residency path a decent rate for learning a skill, rather than graduate them from high school and see them on the street instead.

Also, the bill passed the TX legislature so overwhelmingly, Perry couldn’t have vetoed it even if he’d wanted to.

capitalist piglet on October 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Nutty Anita Perry is at it again. Now she’s blaming Obama because her son quit his job:

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Governor Perry was terrific today. On the CNN video I saw, he handled the questions about his wife’s remarks beautifully – simply said it’s always much harder on candidates’ families than it is on the candidate, that he’s been down this road before – he was really, really good.

His plan makes sense, and actually has a realistic chance of being implemented.

capitalist piglet on October 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

They really like to whine don’t they?

sharrukin on October 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Gee, she’s pointing out that Obama is a job-killing POTUS, how shocking!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Read the article Asians Girl, which obviuously you haven’t.

I wonder which of Rick’s mega donors picked up the cost of Griffin’s four years at Vanderbilt.

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Read the article Asians Girl, which obviuously you haven’t.

bw222 on October 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM

That’s an “L” in my name not an “i”; it’s “AsLan’s Girl” for the lion of Narnia.

Talk about not reading something…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Some of these people do not want to hear the FACTS! They would rather hold on to their pet perceptions.

Voter from WA State on October 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Oh, believe me – I found that out.

Very few people seem to know much of anything about the in-state tuition law; I’m always hoping that even if the person I’m directly addressing doesn’t want to hear the details, maybe someone else will be reading and it will answer some of their questions.

It’s actually a pretty understandable policy, when you take a close look at it.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Just imagine what the oil producing middle east countries would do if Perry became President. I bet the price of oil would drop immediately, and our energy costs would put real money back into our bank account.

Voter from WA State on October 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM

It’s a great plan. For the most part, the reaction around the ‘net that I’ve seen has been very positive – lots of people hoping this brings Perry’s campaign back to the top.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM

You’re missing some information.

Perry almost immediately issued a statement that he did not agree with Pastor Jeffress (he did it the afternoon of the event, probably as soon as he became aware of the remarks) – who, in case you didn’t know this either, is not Perry’s pastor. He wasn’t selected by Perry, the Perry team had no foreknowledge of what he was going to say, and Jeffress made his comments about Mormons off stage after the introduction.

This is another attempt to smear Rick Perry as something he is not, but Romney sure did try to take advantage of it – not unlike what Cain did to Perry.

What a coincidence.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Voter from WA State on October 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM

And the best part? It’s gimmick-free! It’s doable (and “tangible” as Ace said today).

Conservatives have been wanting this for years. None of the other candidates talk about it.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 15, 2011 at 1:37 AM

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I have been thinking ever since Romney pounced on it, that he was behind the question put to the pastor.

Aslans Girl on October 15, 2011 at 1:38 AM

RedLizard64 on October 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Put me down for Perry. I haven’t changed my mind yet, and it’s doubtful that I will as long as he is in the race.

kg598301 on October 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Dear Ms. Korbe:

Hold his hand why don’t ya.

Sincerely,

Illegals waiting for all of those new jobs across America by Gov Rick “The Federal government ate my border” Perry

P.S. The Mordida awaits “workers of the NAFTA Super-highway unite” – “Mexican Cliques in Construction”

FeFe on October 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Chudi on October 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Oh, shut the hell up.

Go soak your head.

Midas on October 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Got to you, huh, Midas? Heh.

Well at least you didn’t whine like the Perry campaign.

You went right off the deep end!

Trochilus on October 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

IowaWoman on October 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM

That came out in August and it was debunked in August. Read and weep yourself, we don’t live under rocks around here:

Robert Spencer does a complete 180:

Daniel Pipes weighs in:

Pam Geller doctored quotes:

It’s #18 at Pesky Truth:

Geller and Spencer made themselves looks like absolute fools with this.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Aslans Girl on October 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not bashing Perry, I truly was weeping. Cheered me up, thanks.

IowaWoman on October 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

IowaWoman on October 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

In that case, I’m sorry for the snark in my post. I’ve just had to correct the record several times with people who are anti-Perry.

-Aslan’s Girl