Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on October 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I couldn’t let the week pass without adding this to the OOTD canon, especially not after the self-congratulations of the Barack Obama campaign after its report on Q3 fundraising:

“We did more with less this quarter – we canceled a series of events over the summer as congressional negotiations were ongoing, and our supporters stepped up in their stead,” wrote an Obama campaign official in an email. “Even more supporters contributed this quarter and we’re now within striking distance of one million donors, something it took us a year to accomplish between Feb 07 and Feb 08, and that was in the midst of an energetic primary.”

All that cash — and yet they began trolling for free poster designs this week with a cheesy contest:

Obama for America is seeking poster submissions from artists across the country illustrating why we support President Obama’s plan to create jobs now, and why we’ll re-elect him to continue fighting for jobs for the next four years. …

When you submit your design, please include the title of your poster, a short paragraph about it, and your name as you’d like it to appear. All submissions will become the property of Obama for America.

After all, what better way to promote jobs than by trying to avoid paying people for doing the work you need?

Update: I missed the best part — the ART WORKS logo in the top left.  Does art “work”?  Not at Team Obama, at least not “work” in the sense of getting paid.

Comments

The poster with the prettiest unicorn on it wins!

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Taketh and keep it

Wow, good find Ed

cmsinaz on October 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM

My president went to the white house and all I got was a free poster.

csdeven on October 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I thought the prettiest poster wins a unicorn.

Washington Nearsider on October 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM

The poster with the prettiest unicorn on it wins!

kingsjester on October 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Unicorns, rainbows, mermaids and fairy princesses!

I feel tingly all over!

DuctTapeMyBrain on October 14, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I’d call that a graphic illustration of what’s wrong with Obama’s mindset.

backwoods conservative on October 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Don’t forget the skittles

cmsinaz on October 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM

All submissions will become the property of Obama for America.

And all those things you unwillfully submit too.

RDE2010 on October 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Same idea as the occupy wallstreeters. Free food and supplies from the people who work for a living.

So who won the dinner with Obama????

ctmom on October 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I thought this was really more of an outreach type thing. You know pick some fool from obscurity and make him a campaign ad.

Why doesn’t the Obama campaign head on over the Wall Street Website of Tears and just pick one of them to draw something. Plus, their stories are so full of woe and can be used as teaching tools.

bloggless on October 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM

He’s just like the OWS protesters, “Gimme, gimme, gimme!”

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Let the Pshop contests begin. They’re really asking for it, aren’t they?

JimK on October 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Well, isn’t that special?!!!!

Susanboo on October 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Maybe this attitude transfers to the entire country. Sure we are unemployed, gas is high, and our houses have little value, we have Barack Hussein Obama (mmm mmmm mmm) as our president, who could ask for anything more.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Who wouldn’t give freely of their time and talent for the greater glorification of President Pantload?

Good grief, these people make my skin crawl.

Naturally Curly on October 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM

As this contest progress, will we get to see the entries?

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM

We should all send in our designs and takeover the contest like we did for AttackWatch, LOL.

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM

So who won the dinner with Obama????
ctmom on October 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I did.

I might not go though.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM

So who won the dinner with Obama????
ctmom on October 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I did.

I might not go though.

Bishop on October 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM

LOL Bishop!!

Susanboo on October 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM

We should all submit designs for barack re-electon posters. Portray him with big ears, laying on the beach, being waited on by servants, with a bottle of beer in his hand. Show michelle parading around in designer clothes while those around them have those hollow, empty eyes of the long depressed and long unemployed.

Those should be his campaign posters as they show the reality of “Hope for Change”.

DuctTapeMyBrain on October 14, 2011 at 8:26 AM

We should all submit designs for barack re-electon posters. Portray him with big ears, laying on the beach,playing golf, being waited on by servants, with a bottle of beer in his hand. Show michelle parading around in designer clothes while those around them have those hollow, empty eyes of the long depressed and long unemployed.

DuctTapeMyBrain on October 14, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Susanboo on October 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM

All your submissions will become the are belong to property of Obama for America.

VelvetElvis on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM

He’s just like the OWS protesters, “Gimme, gimme, gimme!”

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Just who do you think they’re emulating?

VelvetElvis on October 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM

We need a HA contest.

katy the mean old lady on October 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM

VelvetElvis on October 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Heh, no real reply. Something about THAT nick in this thread is just making me laugh.

Oh, hell, it’s gotta be said. Velvet Obama?

MNHawk on October 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Here’s my entry.Think I will win?

docflash on October 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Not for the first time I find myself wishing my drawing skills didn’t peak at stick figures…

crazy_legs on October 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

This is ripe for the #ATTACKWATCH treatment!!!!

If we had a few of our gifted photoshoppers and artists take a few moments, we could connect “Works” with “Obama” in ways that he won’t care much for — and are far more accurate.

Mutnodjmet on October 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Obama disrespects and uses artists but sadly they will submit their posters and their dignity to him… It’s like battered wife syndrome.

Fallon on October 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM

docflash on October 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Can you overlay the words: “How’s That Hopey Changey Thing Working Out For Ya?”

Fallon on October 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Oh, hell, it’s gotta be said. Velvet Obama?

MNHawk on October 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM

So, have you actually see one of these yet, a Velvet Obama? Cuz you know they’re out there somewhere. My husband and I saw one of those street venders selling a Confederate flag with Obama’s face on it, right after the 2008 election. Boy did we do a double take! Still kicking ourselves for not buying it!

Susanboo on October 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Seen not see! LOL!

Susanboo on October 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

All posters become property of the state.

golfmann on October 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Drudge linked to this HA thread.

Looks like Obama doesn’t even “support jobs” any more.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I got my unicorn from Obama. It crapped all over my lawn.

pdigaudio on October 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

You know that just the “flag” thing that they will get entries for the Right, I bet they will be great.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Let the Pshop contests begin. They’re really asking for it, aren’t they?

JimK on October 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Except for the part about Zero owning it. I have a couple of ideas for snarky submissions, but if I draw and submit them, I can’t use them against Zero later.

stvnscott on October 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

My idea of a logo for SCOAMF’s contest: A slave ship on the edge of the precipice of Niagara Falls.

Or, what about a Chevy Volt flying off a cliff into the Grand Canyon.

TXUS on October 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

so BHO tells us what he did this month for his reelection campaign and HIMSELF. Now, one question: what did BHO do for America this year?

katablog.com on October 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM

what about a Chevy Volt flying off a cliff into the Grand Canyon

with a couple of solar panels for wings and a tail?

katablog.com on October 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

They probably planned to pay an artist, but Michelle saw a bauble in a jewelry store window, and just had to have it. So there goes the budget to pay an artist. Thus…the contest. LOL

capejasmine on October 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Let the Pshop contests begin. They’re really asking for it, aren’t they?

JimK on October 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Somehow, the contest and the examples they provide had me immediately thinking that someone needed a goatse Obama logo.

cthulhu on October 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

HERE’S ONE FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS:

After the Civil War, the first President to again advocate slavery (at least for artists and healthcare workers) was the first black president: Barak Obama!!!

/EXTREME_IRONY>

landlines on October 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Is this another one of Soros’s businesses that “help” Obama with his campaign?

old war horse on October 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM