Finally: Occupy protester explains the “Twinkles” hand gesture

posted at 8:35 pm on October 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Weasel Zippers, every revolution reinvents some core cultural vocabulary to inaugurate its new consciousness. The French reinvented the calendar. These people have reinvented jazz hands, I guess. It’s as harmless as can be, but since all protests are ultimately an appeal to undecided voters, I can only imagine what the average blue-collar American will make of it. Who knows? Maybe hippie finger wiggles are just what the zeitgeist requires right now to catalyze the unemployed.

If you missed the Time poll today that the left is buzzing about, here you go. Fully 54 percent are at least somewhat favorably disposed to the protests on Wall Street versus just 27 percent who say the same about the tea-party movement. Philip Klein has a nice analysis of how Time loaded the phrasing of the question to get their desired result, but there’s more to the numbers than that. For one thing, there’s age. People have had two years to observe the tea party, warts and all, versus a month for OWS. As time goes on — starting tomorrow, maybe — their warts will come out too. Beyond that, OWS benefits tremendously by not having a concrete agenda. Much like their friend in the White House, they’re essentially a blank screen onto which you can project your fondest dreams. Are you one of the 99.99 percent of Americans who prefers the middle class to the rich? Well, good news: So does OWS. Do you happen to agree with literally everyone else in the country that America needs more jobs? OWS does too! How about those bank bailouts? Does it kinda sorta stick in your craw that we had to give banks lots of taxpayer money to keep the financial sector afloat? It sticks in OWS’s craw too. They’re so vague on particulars, in fact, that lately I’ve started to see posts online heralding the movement as some sort of cutting-edge Internet-age populist experiment which is “less about victory than sustainability. It is not about one-pointedness, but inclusion and groping toward consensus.” In other words, it’s not supposed to accomplish something, at least not right away. For now it’s just supposed to be, man.

Here’s Twinkles letting it be. If you missed this revealing post at the Corner earlier today about how the commune downtown is managing to feed itself, make sure to make time for it. The money quote: “We don’t know where it comes from. It just appears, and we eat it.” You’ll never see a summation of the entitlement mentality more twinkly than that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Note the photos on Drudge of the Twinkles by, left to right, A-jad, Barry, and Nancy…all pointing up at the OWS debacle.

Clever, Matt.

Christien on October 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I saw this yesterday. Somebody on our side has to create an anti-Obama campaign ad using this. The possibilities are endless.

Connie on October 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Henceforth, hippie finger wiggles will be my sole method of responding to libtards I know. Of course the only finger wiggle I’ll be using is down twinkles.

Gang-of-One on October 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I wonder how many years of paying back high priced student loans (that Obowma took over)…

… will it take for our fellow Americans to realize that they were seriously ripped off?

Seven Percent Solution on October 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I propose debtor prisons for people who fail to repay student loans. Let’s keep these people out of the gene pool.

jhffmn on October 13, 2011 at 10:01 PM

One of those hand signals is giving me a flashback to this golden oldie from Hot Air which was updated to explain the meaning of the word “goatse”.

Buy Danish on October 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Example A of why Beta males never get laid.

Dark Star on October 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM

He said “interrupts stack” in there. That’s technical computer speak. And they also formally incorporated “raise the roof” into their parliamentary process.

It seems like their minds are collages of bits and pieces, bits and pieces from everywhere. Maybe this thing is much more psychotic than I thought.

Like this:

“Let’s raise the roof. And so it was said by SpongeBob SquarePants that their is no try . . . I see a clarifying question, if it pleases and sparkles.”

“It was actually Yoda, wasn’t it? I see a direct response, if it pleases and sparkles.”

“It was actually Mr. Miyagi, of the Karate Kid. ‘Karate Yes, Karate No. Karate Maybe — squash like grape.’ I see a direct response, long live the Empire.”

“The Karate Kid came after The Empire Strikes Back. It was Yoda.”

“All right. Do we have a block? No? No? No? No? No? Then, as it was said by Yoda, there is no try. And with that sage advice from antiquity, I suppose that’s it for today. I think we can all be proud of what we’ve accomplished.”

– twinkles –

– crowd returns to facebook –

Axe on October 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

*there, etc. Hate that.

Axe on October 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Possible mottos/slogans for the Occupiers Squatters.

We are the 99%……that don’t take showers.

We are the 99%……that TEAT off the Federal Sow.

We are the 99%……of the 53% that voted for Obama.

We are the 99%……that would buy a $40,000 Nissan Leaf (Hummer meat).

We are the 99%…..that would never think of leaving a tip for a hard working waitress.

We are the 99%…..that would have se* with a perfect stranger under a tarp in a public place.

We are the 99%……that intend on voting for Obama no matter what spawn of Lucifer the GOP nominates.

We are the 99%……that America should be very worried about.

We are the 99%……that won’t be praying for Rick Perrys’ wife this week.

Just a few thoughts for Vanny Van Van Jones and his organizers.

PappyD61 on October 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Somehow the only thing I can think of is the character “Hugh Bliss” from “the game “Sam & Max Save the World” and his “It’s Magic!” spiel.

Voyager on October 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Anyone else find it ironic, that among a group of dedicated socialists such as the OccupyDC crowd, chanting and finger twinkles is about building and making decisions by “consensus,” yet they do not hesitate to force unwilling taxpayers to: purchase and subsidize healthcare for others, pay additional taxes, pay additional benefits to illegal aliens or unions?

The whole concept of socialism requires subordinating the will of the individual or the minority to the majority. There is no “consensus” in socialism. These people are so lacking in self-awareness, history, economics, and political theory it is truly frightening.

Firefly_76 on October 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

My collie says:

I feel cheated. He didn’t tell us what the hand signal is for defecating on a cop car.

CyberCipher on October 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM

So you’re telling us that they are taking food out of food closets that are designed to feed actual needy families?
Scumsuckers

darwin-t on October 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, in a way, pretty much.

JetBoy on October 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Why do the OWS douchebags hate starve poor people?

You ought to raise holy hell about this, JetBoy.

hillbillyjim on October 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Like this:

“The Karate Kid came after The Empire Strikes Back. It was Yoda.”

– twinkles –

– crowd returns to facebook –

Axe on October 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I noticed that nomenclature, too…but you’ve captured the issue wonderfully there. Well said.

Lourdes on October 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Yeah, try using those little twinkles on Obama and his federal police force once his Marxist revolution is successful. See how far it gets you.

JellyToast on October 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM

JellyToast on October 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Weird thing: when I read through this the first time, I saw “feudal” — and now I’m a little freaked out :) That part of my brain not run by coffee might be on to something.

Axe on October 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Given how each culture has their own idiom for hand gestures, I wonder how many wars would be started if we actually tried this crap in the UN.

Would be fun to watch…

SPCOlympics on October 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM

He said “interrupts stack” in there.

Axe on October 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Standard protocol in such case requires a four knuckle synchronous exception to the face.
The exceptions shall continue until the fault is corrected.

Kenosha Kid on October 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Why is this small group of pathetic childish people getting so much publicity? I haven’t seen so much furor over nothing since the Comet Kohoutek.

This is the Indymedia crowd, they have been trying to “get something for nothing” for years.

Grifters.

Dreadnought on October 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Scumsuckers

darwin-t on October 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, in a way, pretty much.

JetBoy on October 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Why do the OWS douchebags hate starve poor people?

You ought to raise holy hell about this, JetBoy.

hillbillyjim on October 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Yeah…that’s pretty outrageous, actually. More needs to be said. Much more.

Dreadnought on October 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Now we know where Obama gets his governing style.

PattyJ on October 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Excellent writing by Allah.

exlibris on October 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM

My God, I can almost smell the estigen in his blood right through the computer screen. I have to give him this hand signal.

Dollayo on October 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I haven’t seen so much furor over nothing since the Comet Kohoutek.

Dreadnought on October 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I was thinking maybe they need to catch Hale-Bopp…

Paging Marshall Applewhite

Lanceman on October 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

raise your hand? Gee, I never heard of that one.

Hummer53 on October 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Hah! You made my day, AP :)

TN Mom on October 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM

God I hate these filthy parasites.

“show agreence[sic]“…

Boxy_Brown on October 14, 2011 at 12:38 AM

LOL Twinkles. Perfect.

The Monty Python peasants had more common sense than these loons.

evergreen on October 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM

That was too funny. Bless their hearts.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM

This desire for ‘consensus’ makes me think of baby birdies in the nest all opening their mouths begging for food together.

On a darker note, isn’t all this consensus stuff totalitarian?

MaggiePoo on October 14, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Those aren’t warts on the OWS crowd, they’re boils, lesions and pustules.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 14, 2011 at 1:29 AM

The French reinvented the calendar. These people have reinvented jazz hand

Seriously, made me laugh.

tetriskid on October 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM

The face-pierced “voting expert”, Twinkles, and the rest of the gang, are going be upset when they find out that this isn’t a music festival. I’m sure they think it’s some kind of Woodstock for Millennials. I expect a violent reaction soon.

redwhiteblue on October 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM

And these people are the reason I don’t go downtown unless I really, really have to. I’ll bet if you went back through the footage of the so-called “anti-war” protests during the Bush administration you’d see a lot of familiar faces.

Browncoatone on October 14, 2011 at 3:00 AM

O/T
=====

Early Morning/Warning Alert Status:OWS is at DEFCON #1

Police and GoonIons are set to square off at 0:700,for
Showdown at Zucchini Corral!!
—————————–

Occupy Wall Street LIVE
Covering events around the world related to the Occupy Wall Street protest.
********

+++++++++
++++++++++

Occupy Wall Street: protesters fear eviction – live coverageOccupy Wall Street protesters are bracing themselves for eviction as police insist they will not be allowed to keep sleeping equipment in Zuccotti Park after it is cleaned.
*************************************

canopfor on October 14, 2011 at 5:14 AM

canopfor on October 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Generation Mooch

Roy Rogers on October 14, 2011 at 5:21 AM

And all this time I thought they were spirit fingers.

Geez, talk about a hive mentality. All the drones wiggling and waving their appendages about in an enormous group-think, a feel-good “consensus.”

Aardvark on October 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM

“By the time we got to Zucotti Park
We were half a dozen strong
And everywhere there were turds and urination…”

Generation Stench

Roy Rogers on October 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Well, at least now deaf people can laugh at them too.

MikeA on October 14, 2011 at 7:41 AM

That “point of order” hand symbol looks suspiciously like star trek space hippies giving each other the Obama sign of progress.
(http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/08/beam-me-up-obama/)

Generation Herbert

Roy Rogers on October 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM

This is insulting to our ancestor’s of the 1960′s protesting. At least they protested against something meaningful and showed up to the right spots.

RDE2010 on October 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM

He forgot these:

mrt721 on October 14, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I think these young guys are awesome in a way, and these hand signals for crowds are smart (/cool), but why would a beautiful smart young girl put a dumb ring in her nose? Winds up looking like metal snot.

Chessplayer on October 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Occpy South Park: “You may have hippies.”

mechkiller_k on October 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I expect these signals to be used in the first dem debates…the moderators can use these to help the debates move along…
SNL…come on, you have got to use this…

They left out the most important one, the one that the conservatives use to communicate with the lefties…it only takes one finger.

right2bright on October 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM

A communication studies major, with a minor in philosophy and political science.

…Raises the roof…

cyclown on October 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I have a couple Italian hand symbols for these dweebs

PatriotPete on October 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

So, basically, we have a bunch of unwashed hippies with nothing else to do, living in less-than-hygienic conditions in support of a cause that they can’t really explain.

But we’re the bad-guys for pointing it out.

Lawrence on October 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

LOL Twinkles. Perfect.

The Monty Python peasants had more common sense than these loons.

evergreen on October 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM

That makes Owebowmao their king. He’s the only one that ‘asn’t got $#!& all over ‘im.

Laura in Maryland on October 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

This movement is doomed. How many seniors with arthritis are able to twinkle their fingers? Next they will be asking us to…never mind, that doesn’t work anymore, either.

flyoverland on October 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

hahaha! I’ve got a hand signal for you, you lunatic.

csdeven on October 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Generation Herbert

Roy Rogers on October 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Umm, one of those hippies died a couple of days ago.

We reach, brother. It’s real ‘now’.

Lanceman on October 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

The raised middle finger pointing up, and then tilted horizontally means:

“Fornicate with thyself, and thy steed which brought you hence”

BobMbx on October 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Cute. Just make you feel so warm and fuzzy doesn’t it?

MSGTAS on October 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM

earnest, sincere, and eventually will join others just like him in the civil service.

Is it any wonder our government is so effed up?

It is filled with “process wonks” like this.

/sheesh