Barbour: I’d vote for Cain if the primary was today

posted at 5:19 pm on October 13, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Chris Christie’s endorsement not surprisingly went to Mitt Romney, but another governor who was originally urged to join the 2012 presidential race says he’d vote for Herman Cain if the primary was today:

“He is likable. He does not give you the impression that he is full of himself, but rather that he is a straight-talkin’ person who, will tell you, he calls it like he sees them. He’s not trying to sugarcoat anything and at the same time he is not trying to be shrill and a chest-beater. He is a straight-talker, and I think that makes him very, very attractive to people,” Barbour said on the Laura Ingraham Show.

Barbour also said that Cain would not have trouble in a general election against President Obama, a critique of some conservatives who don’t believe the former Godfather’s Pizza CEO would be viable in a nationwide race.

“If this election is where it ought to be, and that is a referendum on how President Obama is doing, Republicans are going to win,” Barbour said. “If Herman Cain is our nominee against Barack Obama, I think he’ll sweep the south.”

Barbour is right on the money: If the GOP can’t beat President Obama in 2012, what does that say about Republicans? It’s one thing if he wins reelection because the recovery really does take off. It’s another if Democrats message their way to a win, if they succeed in placing the blame on “Tea Party Republicans.” With the politics this president plays, a true and robust recovery is improbable but his reelection unfortunately isn’t unless the GOP fields a candidate who can keep the focus squarely on the economy and not on his own vulnerabilities as a candidate. Cain just might be the guy to do it. He definitely has the confidence for it. He told Neal Boortz just the other day he thinks he could easily mop the floor with Obama in a debate.

“Neal, it would almost be no contest,” Cain said. “I can talk about every issue two levels deep. Whether you’re talking about the economy, job creation … I can even talk about foreign policy deeper than he can. Immigration. Every issue, Neal. … He’s never been a part of the black experience in America. I can talk about that.”

Clearly, he’s not afraid to throw down the gauntlet. Straight-talker, indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This election will be about Obama.

We don’t need to ‘woo the independents.’ They are already pissed off.

Just run the most conservative candidate we can find that can walk to a drinking fountain without falling down.

fossten on October 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Game on! Rick Perry hardest hit!

Knucklehead on October 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

He’s excited because he thinks a GOP candidate will sweep the most GOP friendly region of the country.

Mark1971 on October 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s kind of important to note that what he said was in response of Ingraham asking if he’d lend credence to “the rumors going around” that Cain would be weak in the South.

This wasn’t exactly volunteered information.

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I sure hope Cain can back up that kinda talk. As the Not-Romney frontrunner, he has to do three things to beat Romney:
1.) Show that he can speak comfortably and substantively across a broad spectrum of topics, INCLUDING foreign policy. He also better be prepared to SELL 9-9-9 or modify it, because it’s risky.
2.) Not make any campaign-killing gaffes. This, I think, is what still leaves a lot of conservatives with hesitancy. We still, in some ways, don’t know Cain.
3.) Can he put together a first-rate fundraising and campaign organization.

Barbour’s comments go a long way to suggesting #3 might be possible.

SAMinVA on October 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Barbour’s being a Judas here. He’s one of those that went begging and pleading with Perry to get in the race, and now he jumps ship.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Better not let the presidential debates become the focus. Barry can twinkle toe his way through them, because sound bites are all he needs and the media will give him what he needs. Cain, or whoever is the nominee, better stomp on Barry’s record of failures everywhere, long before the debates, and offer specific fixes, not slogans. I was distressed at Cain’s response to Greta on how to handle the Iranian situation. It was lame and showed no original thought.

a capella on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Boy, Rick’s wife is going to be pissed.

portlandon on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

a capella on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Sort of like his response to Bill O’Reilly a while back on the same topic: “We need a serious strategy, Bill!” Well, yeah….what is it?

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Think Barbour doesn’t approve of subsidizing the education of the children of illegals, which is why Perry called him “heartless?”

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

a capella on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

The most unforgiveable thing about the way McCain ran his campaign is that he never smacked Obama, especially in the debates. We have seen how thin skinned teh one is. I think the only way we lose is if we nominate someone unable or unwilling to criticize Obama to the point that he loses his cool.

Meh on October 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

a capella on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Nothing was worse than Obama running from the question regarding the European economy last debate…that was one of the most embarrassing moments in any debate…

right2bright on October 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Meh on October 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Now you know why Romney is pushing for these early primaries. He wants to grab the nomination before everyone jumps ship.

kingsjester on October 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

People who know Cain, say his mind is like a steel trap, all but a photographic memory…Obama is skilled, but he is not intelligent.

right2bright on October 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

right2bright on October 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I see what you did there.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Mark1971 on October 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

No, what he’s saying is that a) white southerners won’t stay home because their only choices for president are blacks, instead they will turn out and put numbers on the board for Cain; and b) black southerners won’t go 95% for Obama, some of them will actually throw the lever for a Republican.

greggriffith on October 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

a capella on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Has Obama done anything more than “lame”? Nope.

I’m excited to watch this play out because I know Cain can win.

Key West Reader on October 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Laugh while you still can.

You will be begging Rick Perry to save conservatives after a second term of Obama.

If a first term of Obama can get Coulter and other conservatives to say Romneycare is no big deal, trust me – a second Obama term after a Romney loss will have conservatives loving the “heartless” comment.

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Well, now we know who Cain’s economic advisors are…the creators of Sim City.

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It’s not exactly an endorsement. All he’s saying is that Cain’s a likable guy and that *if* he’s our nominee, he’d sweep the South. Well, duh! Cain’s from GA and Southerners want Obama out of office. Probably only Romney would have trouble “sweeping the South”; and even he might do fine in the general only because Republicans hate Obama more than they hate Romney.

He’s merely stating the obvious.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I dislike that as much as I dislike Cain pulling the race card on Perry before he (Cain) knew the facts.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Ouchy…

Seven Percent Solution on October 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Well, now we know who Cain’s economic advisors are…the creators of Sim City.

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Taking cues from the left for oppo material is usually the first sign of implosion.

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM

right2bright on October 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Who are these “people”? Are they like the unnamed super-confidential Fed picks and the super-secret advisers? Will we get to hear from these people after the election — kind of like learning about Cain’s foreign policy positions once he is elected (to his first office, snort!)

Inquiring minds would like to know. :-)

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Romney and Cain’s support is still and inch thick and a mile wide, I wonder if the ones that decided not to run are kicking themselves.
Daniels, Cristy, Palin etc.

KBird on October 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Sorry, bud. After the 2012 election Rick Perry will rapidly become a distant memory.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM

You don’t have to be from the left to know that if Cain did indeed get his 999 plan from Sim City, that is pretty pathetic :)

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I’m not sure what Haley’s stance on in-state tuition is, BUT he knew that about Perry before he begged him to enter the race. TX’s law went into effect in 2001

I am surprised that Haley thinks Cain’s such a likable fella when he called Perry “insensitive” for not removing the offensive word “fast enough”. Playing the race-card against a fellow Southerner shouldn’t make him likable in the eyes of Haley.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Well, now we know who Cain’s economic advisors are…the creators of Sim City.

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Hmmm… I like Sim City. :-(

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Daniels, Cristy, Palin etc.

KBird on October 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Palin isn’t. I truly think she doesn’t want to put her family through that again. And that’s just from those in her own party.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Is that the rebel flag in the background?

faraway on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I don’t check in as frequently as in the past but there’s one thing:

Every minor story is “well that’s that!!” I guarantee tomorrow Haley will come out supporting Perry.
No story on Rudy endorsing Perry?

Marcus on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I’ve read those stories. They have not one shred of evidence even suggesting that he got his tax plan from there. Ergo, lefty yellow journalism and lefty oppo.

Additionally, I’ve played SimCity. You don’t get to levy income tax or sales tax at all. You set property taxes for industrial, commercial, and residential zones. That’s it.

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Truth.

portlandon on October 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Ouchy…

Seven Percent Solution on October 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Dems: Bet you won’t vote for a black man for president.

Repubs: We’ll see your half-black Kenyan and raise you an actual black American.

Lily on October 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Is that the rebel flag in the background?

faraway on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Mississippi state flag.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I like Cain because he seems like a leader even if he has a tendency to gaffe. He’ll have a team of advisers. I want leadership.

jhffmn on October 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

In a sort of shadenfreud way here, having Cain as our nominee and running against Obama would be a tactic that would entirely shut down the “if you disagree with the black guy, you’re a racist” meme and would be like snatching a page right out of the Dems playbook to use against them. I don’t advocate sinking to that level, you you all know that the Dems think that way. They’ve already started trying to portray Cain as a House Ni**er or Uncle Tom, so I’m not so naieve that the Dems wouldn’t try the meme I just mentioned, but with Cain’s black face on the tv every night, you would think that some of the lock step Dem constituency would see the hypocrisy in that tactic and develop a distain which could swing them to Cain and defeat Odumbo.

Just tossin’ that out there…

44Magnum on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I like Cain, but I’m not going to vote for him in the primary. I won’t vote for Romney either.

ninjapirate on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

OT: Jesse Jackson JR seems to be in a panic about next years elections.

Lets see how much play this gets.

warren on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

No story on Rudy endorsing Perry?

Marcus on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

On the other hand though, when you sink as low as Perry has in the latest Rasmussen — coming in fourth with 9% — people do tend to abandon ship.

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

That is so sweet of Gov. Barbour and I agree that The Won is not unbeatable. I am constantly amazed at how the 2008 Obama is the goal post, instead of a president with a very bad record.

Cindy Munford on October 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM

ninjapirate on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

There’s a spot on Newt’s couch. :-) We dumped Nancy and steamed the cushions so it’s good. We have a contract.

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Is that the rebel flag in the background?

faraway on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

No it’s the Confederate Flag in the background! & so what!

Confederate on October 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Perry’s plan to be revealed tomorrow. Look for it to be heavy into energy independence.

Voter from WA State on October 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Sigh. :-(

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Attn: TheRightMan:

3.) Can he put together a first-rate fundraising and campaign organization.

Barbour’s comments go a long way to suggesting #3 might be possible.

SAMinVA on October 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Using SAMiNVA criteria, Rick Perry is incompetent on points one and two, and cannot hope to salvage them.

Make Mitt Romney VP (or even Perry, though I doubt his serious fundraising base leaves the Texas border and what he has now is all he’s going to get) , Cain’s problem with #3 goes away.

To be totally honest, Romney supporters should also get behind a Cain/Romney ticket. Cain is currently 65, if he decides not to run in 2016 then Mitt is a shoo-in, and additionally if a President Cain eradicates Obamacare, the health care albatross for Romney goes away through association with Cain.

Cain/Romney 2012.

Has an excellent ring to it.

BKennedy on October 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Lets see how much play this gets.

warren on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

It was posted here at HA this morning.

Knucklehead on October 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Punchy has a problem with energy independence ??

pambi on October 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Barbour’s Facebook status just now:

“I was quoted incorrectly. My wife would vote for Cain today. I’d vote for Cain or any Republican against Obama. No preference for nomination”

greggriffith on October 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM

The most unforgivable thing about the way McCain ran his campaign is that he never smacked Obama, especially in the debates. We have seen how thin skinned teh one is. I think the only way we lose is if we nominate someone unable or unwilling to criticize Obama to the point that he loses his cool.

Meh on October 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

..If the nominee doesn’t beat on Obama like a rented mule in the presidential debates, I’m gonna be pissed!

We will have paid for these four years enduring this immense bowel movement of a president and I want to see him gob-smacked all over the venue!

I want to see him on his knees, simpering like the little metro-sexual, Nancy boy sissy that he is. I want to see welts raised, I want to her groans and forlorn cries of anguish, I want to..I want to..

..I want to have a G&T and calm down.

The War Planner on October 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I dig the way Cain sounds black. All the time–not just when he wants to rally the NAACP.

Tyrone Slothrop on October 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Punchy has a problem with energy independence ??

pambi on October 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM

No, I was hoping it would be more than just energy independence. You know, something to really knock your socks off and put to bed the meme that Perry doesn’t have a big, substantial plan to put on the table.

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Sigh. :-(

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

What’s wrong with an energy based plan? You claim that you once liked Perry, but if you think something’s wrong this, you couldn’t have been much of a supporter to begin with.

Energy prices are everything and further, of course Perry’s plan would be based on that. He’s an expert on energy coming from an oil-rich state like TX.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I do like Perry — I just want him to kick some behind with big ideas and get Cain out of the news cycle. What time tomorrow will he unveil his plan?

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

This article is wrong. He said his wife would vote for Cain.

Y-not on October 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Perry will be on CNBC (Kudlow) tonight at 7:30 pm Eastern. He’ll preview the plan then.

Y-not on October 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM

No story on Rudy endorsing Perry?
Marcus on October 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM
ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Who’s in 3rd? Oh , the guy who’s campaign quit on him a while back.
Palin is looking foolish for not giving it a go. It’s very fluid. Like tsunami fluid.

Marcus on October 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Y-not on October 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Awesome. I’ll be sure to tune in.

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Art Laffer is on SR giving his endorsement of 9-9-9.

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Daniels, Cristy, Palin etc.

KBird on October 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Palin and Daniels were my top picks but neither jumped in the race. I really liked Daniels despite his tendency to stick his foot in his mouth by thinking out loud, but that only irritated the base and wouldn’t have hurt him in the general. He brought up the idea of a VAT to pay off the debt on top of other tax reform and look at who the top candidate is right now, a guy who promotes a tax plan with a national sales tax AND a VAT styled business tax in addition to an income tax. Go figure.

Daemonocracy on October 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Y-not on October 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM

The Rangers better have the championship by then… LOL.

pambi on October 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Marcus on October 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Agreed. If protecting her family is the issue, that is a decision that could have been made months if not years ago. Maybe she thought the game was being rigged with all the moving of primary dates, etc. Who knows. I don’t feel like she shared her true reasoning, but that is her prerogative I suppose.

Meh on October 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Voter from WA State on October 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Thank you for the link! Here’s one good highlight:

“The question is whether the president’s going to listen to his advisers on jobs or competiveness or is he going to listen to the activists that are pushing an agenda that pits environment against the economy,” Perry added. “That’s what the question is. I’m going to be in Pittsburgh Friday and I’m going to announce my own energy jobs plan, and I can promise you this: I’m going to take the side of workers and employers in America. That’s who I’m going to be standing with.”

I think it’s great that he’s campaigning in places like IN and PA and not just IA, NH, SC, and FL.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Well, now we know who Cain’s economic advisors are…the creators of Sim City.

JA on October 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

In the article they said they used the simple 999 plan so players could focus on infrastructure and national security – which is precisely what a simplified tax plan allows us to do in the real world.

Daemonocracy on October 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM

First of all, it’s a silly thing to want a big ole plan just because Romney’s got a 59-point thing. Cain’s got nothing beyond “999″, so Perry’s not all that behind.

Second, today was only the outline of his plan. Tomorrow is the full unveiling. Why knock it today when you don’t even know what’s all going to be in it?

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

This article is wrong. He said his wife would vote for Cain.

Y-not on October 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Well, this is a Tina Korbe post, afterall…

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Barbour will mark the block for Perry when the primary is actually held.

J.E. Dyer on October 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Well, that is probably where it is going to start. Personally, I would rather hear about a plan to make us energy independent than the 999 plan that zero chance of ever being implemented.

Voter from WA State on October 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Amen. Energy indenpence is not a gimmick. It’s very doable with the right POTUS (*cough*Perry*cough*).

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

ddrintn on October 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Rick Who?

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Inquiring minds would like to know. :-)

Punchenko on October 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Something we won’t have to acuse you of having…

lovingmyUSA on October 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Rick Who?

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Answer: Rick Perry’s percentages in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

Question: What is 9,9,9?

KingGold on October 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Boy, Rick’s wife is going to be pissed.
portlandon on October 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Meowwww….::crack!::

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Well, this is a Tina Korbe post, afterall…

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM

My friend AG, please be kind to my other friend TK. :)

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Voter from WA State on October 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Actually his staff finished the plan a month ago, it’s just that Perry’s handlers have been busy trying to explain the big words to him. Word is it involves a heap of cipherin’ and having horses stomp out numbers.

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Dang! I could sweep the south! Y’all.

Vince on October 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Hey! I like Perry….but that was funny. Y’all.

Vince on October 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Barbour will mark the block for Perry when the primary is actually held.

J.E. Dyer on October 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Yep. Y’all.

Vince on October 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I’ve never really cared for many of Korbe’s posts. I like a bit more substance and she lost me when she patronized Bachmann re: migraines.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You can forget the idea that no one can play the race card if Cain is the nominee. They will simply call him an Oreo — black on the outside and white on the inside.

Think I’m kidding? I’ve already heard some of the spokesmen for the Left on the alphabet networks call him, Tim Scott and Allen West Oreos.

I like Cain. I haven’t made my final choice yet, but he is definitely in the running. The one who is not on my list is Romney. The only way he gets my vote is if he is the nominee. Even as an Establishment Republican, he is a million times better than Obama.

hachiban on October 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

All one has to do to win a debate with Obama is challenge him directly.

Hillary didn’t do it. McCain didn’t do it either.

We’ve see that every time someone hits Obama directly he falls apart and says something stupid. Today’s example with Ed Harris shows exactly what I mean.

Jason Coleman on October 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, those guys that fly those military jets just don’t understand big words.

Your prejudice is showing.

Voter from WA State on October 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

On the contrary, I agree with his thoughtful endorsement of having a good breakfast to start the day. Now, that’s some thinkin’.

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I thought it was only Dems who were prejudiced against the South. Conservatives ought to be above that.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

You should appreciate Perry more.

At least with Perry every sentence is an adventure!

sharrukin on October 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I believe Tina is a quick learner and will improve with time. We all go through that initial curve when we start a new job.

The key difference between AllahP/Ed and Tina’s posts is that with time AllahP and Ed have learnt to balance their opinions with a healthy dose of skepticism in order to generate heated discussion on a particular thread.

Okay, I must admit that AllahP has more of the skepticism element – what he calls “eeyorism”. :)

In a nutshell, AllahP and Ed will not so easily clue you in on which side they have taken in a debate. Tina lets you know and that sometimes works out good, sometimes not so good.

However, give Tina time and she will also develop her own unique blogging style that balances opinion and skepticism. She has lots of potential.

Moreso, AllahP and Ed don’t get off so easily either. I recall AllahP being set on by the Palin die-hards and I might very well tear him and Ed into shreds the next time I see a “Perry is toast” thread. :)/joking

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but a not-very-bright Governor is being mocked, not geographics. It is amusing enough that the individual has the mental abilities of Jethro – the fact that he also acts and sounds like Jethro is just a comedic side benefit. Just as it would be if Mitt Romney talked like Thurston Howell III.

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

You should appreciate Perry more.

At least with Perry every sentence is an adventure!

sharrukin on October 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Indeed. I honestly hope he doesn’t drop out too soon, he’s fun to watch. You know he’s going to shoot his foot and then proceed to stuff the wounded foot into his mouth – but you don’t know just exactly how/when he’s going to manage to do it. It’s an adventure and a mystery. Great entertainment value.

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

You do know you and the other Romneybots are not winning any converts when you go off on your insults and tirades, right?

Perry has the “mental abilities of Jethro” – according to you – and yet is the three-term Governor of the second largest state. He is creating jobs while the rest of the country is losing jobs.

I wonder what you with the mental abilities of ________ has accomplished? At least, Perry is a national figure – whatcat is a what?

TheRightMan on October 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I liked this quote from cynccook which sorta covers what happened with the debates.

No, but they can serve as a key that will unlock other doors. But all poor Perry did was set off the security system and then the police and fire departments had to come out and turn them off and now all the neighbors are out on their lawns in their pajamas staring at him in pity mixed with disbelief.

cynccook on October 13, 2011 at 1:57 AM

sharrukin on October 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

LMAO!!! Now get over here and cleanup my monitor!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on October 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I see, you live on an Either/Or Fallacy planet world where everyone who notes the fact that Perry is subpar has to be “Romneybot”. Alllllrighty then.

But if Perry is as sensitive as you portray him to be, that might not really be to his best advantage. Some of us remember when politicians could handle it.

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Just finished watching Perry on Kudlow. He lit into the EPA and Obama being “in bed with” the whacky environmentalists. Very good and am looking forward to tomorrow to see the whole plan.

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM

cynccook on October 13, 2011 at 1:57 AM

sharrukin on October 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM

It’s not just the debate performances, though they are the most telling facet of the problem. He just keeps falling and he can’t get up – at least the right way. As with the recent incident with the anti-Mormon pastor intro, he would have been better served to cut the pastor off at the pass pronto instead of exclaiming “he hit it out of the park!”

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Barbour is “MR. RNC“………I’m not to thrilled about this “endorsement”.

Watch out for the AMBUSH ON MEET THE PRESS this Sunday Mr. Cain.

You’re about to get PALINIZED.

PappyD61 on October 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM

A couple of points on this.

1. Herman……LOWER the expectations Novice politician man.

2. Prove how you’re not afraid by AT A MINIMUM taking on RomneyCare. We get the 999 thingy (which will never pass).

Talk with some specificity about Foreign policy. Make us feel like Putin wouldn’t bamboozle yet another naive American President (like Breshnev did to Carter in 1978-79).

PappyD61 on October 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM

whatcat on October 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM

No, you are right, its not just the debates. He has substantive problems with his policy positions, his background, his debates performances, his entire approach to governance which more closely resembles the emotional way Democrats deal with the issues. He explains away his positions with appeals to emotion, or counter attacks with the same. As you say the people he associates with are also time bombs and there are more than most people realize.

He just isn’t that impressive.

sharrukin on October 13, 2011 at 8:11 PM