Oh my: Cain 30, Romney 22, Gingrich 15, Perry 14

posted at 5:30 pm on October 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Republicans really, really, really don’t want to nominate Mitt Romney.”

Strong Tea Party support has Cain in the driver’s seat nationally, just as he has been on our last four individual state polls. With non-Tea Party Republicans Romney actually leads Cain 29-27. But with the Tea Party crowd Cain is getting 39% with Gingrich at 16%, Perry at 14%, and Romney in 4th place at 13%. Romney doesn’t need to win the Tea Partiers to be the Republican nominee. But he does need to finish better than 4th with them.

There are indications within the poll that Cain’s stay at the top could be short lived. Only 30% of his supporters are solidly committed to him with 70% saying they might still go on to support someone else. Those numbers aren’t much better for Romney, who only has 31% of his supporters solidly committed, or Gingrich, who only has 34% solidly committed. The strongest base of support among the Republican front runners- even if it’s shrinking- is Perry’s- 48% of his remaining backers say they’ll definitely vote for him. Overall 70% of Republicans are either undecided right now or open to voting for someone different than who they’re with now- that signals an extremely wide open race…

If the race came down to a two way match between Cain and Romney, Cain leads 48-36. Cain would pick up Bachmann, Gingrich, Perry, and Santorum’s supporters. Romney would get Huntsman and Paul’s. Cain would absolutely crush Perry in a head to head, 55-27.

NBC’s teasing its own poll to come later today by noting that Cain leads Romney two-to-one among tea partiers and that Cain/Perry/Bachmann combined continue to outpoll the presumably “inevitable” nominee Romney. But then, that’s the problem, isn’t it? There’s no way for anyone to consolidate that combined vote and make it a two-way race before Iowa. Perry’s too well-funded to drop out before then and Cain, I think, is too popular by now to revert to nonfactor status, which means they (and, to a lesser extent, Bachmann) are destined to split the conservative vote in the caucuses while Romney cleans up among centrists. If most Iowa conservatives break for Cain and he either wins outright or finishes a strong second to Romney, Perry will be finished and then you’ll have a two-man race in time for South Carolina. But by that point, Romney will almost certainly have won New Hampshire and Nevada and will be raking in mountains of establishment money to ensure that the most electable option in the field is well armed for the rest of the primaries.

Even if Cain pulls the upset in South Carolina — which isn’t impossible given its social conservatism and Cain’s southern roots — how does he compete with Romney in a state as expensive as Florida and in the dozens of primaries that’ll follow that? The hard, cold fact is this: Perry is the only guy in the field who’s potentially capable of fighting a money war with Romney, and after his latest underwhelming debate performance, I’m not so sure how capable he still is. Who’s excited to donate to him these days? He’s got wealthy friends in Texas, but beyond that, which Republican multi-millionaire at this point would rather bet big on him than on Romney? (Romney’s odds of the nomination are at 69.8 percent on InTrade as I write this; Perry’s are at 9.8 percent, just two-tenths of a point ahead of Cain’s.) And which grassroots conservative small donor would rather throw a hundred bucks of hard-earned money at Perry right now than at the charismatic underdog Cain? I can’t wait to see the fundraising numbers next quarter.

Via Greg Hengler, here’s a “3 a.m. phone call” compare-and-contrast between Cain and Gingrich on the subject of how they’d handle the Iranian terror plot. This sort of thing — plus the fact that his 9-9-9 plan has alienated tax warriors like Grover Norquist — could knock Cain back enough by the time Iowa arrives to restore Perry to frontrunner status in the all-important “Not Romney” competition. Problem is, I have no confidence that Perry’s answer to this question would be any better than Cain’s. And, giving how Perry tends to avoid interviews, he probably doesn’t have any confidence either. Exit question: Second look at Gingrich?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

So now you’re comparing Herman Cain to Nancy Pelosi. I got news for you pal. That dog ain’t huntin’. Herman Cain has laid out enough specifics in the bill for me to feel comfortable voting for him in the primaries. That doesn’t necessarily mean that I would encourage my congressional delegation to vote for 9-9-9 if it came up, but to compare my “we should debate it in congress” to “we have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it” is intellectual dishonesty in the first degree.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Um. I’m not comparing Herman Cain to Nancy Pelosi, I’m comparing you to Nancy Pelosi. If you can’t see the similarity between “we must pass the bill to find out what’s in it” to “the time to debate the merits of 9-9-9 is after we elect Herman Cain”, then you are just remarkably obtuse. The fact that you had to misrepresent your own statement to make it sound more reasonable, and then follow that up with a slur calling me “intellectually dishonest” just makes you look worse.

The fact is that there is nothing to debate, because there are no specifics. And you are willing to give ol’ Herman a pass on that. I am not. If you are going to press a particular proposal as the basis for your campaign, it better darn well be pretty specific. Cain’s plan is not.

Hey! I have a plan! I call it 9-8-7-6! Vote for me! Only slightly less specific than Cain. But that’s not a problem, is it? At least not until after I am elected and need to get it through Congress…

HTL on October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I dont see the fightestablishment money in any of these guys except Romney.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Stop beating around the Bush.

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree, but if any of these guys want in the white house they are going to have to fight their way in. Its not going to be handed to them. You have to get elected first and if you cant take a punch and throw a punch effectively with the kind of dirty campaign thats coming then its all for not. Im not looking to support someone whose just going to fall on the sword in the name of purity.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Perry has a ton of money and hes third now in most polls.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

If the slings and arrows Cain has suffered for advocating 9-9-9 isn’t “fighting” his way in, then good lord, I don’t know what else is. Candidates snipe at each other all the time. It’s substantive policy that tends to be a rarity — and that’s what Herman Cain has advanced whether you believe in the policy itself or not.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

You’re happy with the current mess?

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

No, I am not and I fail to see why giving the taxers another revenue source is going to solve any problems. Its sounds like a recipe for disaster.

sharrukin on October 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I agree that the 999 is brave, but it doesnt matter if he wont take the fight directly to Romney. Perry tried and has so far failed, theres an opening here clearly, but someone has to take it.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

ep there is nothing more than some general guidelines. It looks like more like notes for a sales pitch than a plan. Serious, I do that kind of stuff and have for industry for decades.

Kermit on October 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Exactly. And not just because you’re agreeing with me. That thing looks like a powerpoint presentation prepared by someone who didn’t do his homework, and threw it together at the last minute for an 8am presentation. Where’s the data? Since it’s the Internet, where are the hyperlinks? Where are the sources, the authors? Where was the proofreader?

Very amateur, and not the basis of a serious presidential campaign.

HTL on October 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

HTL on October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Herman Cain has advocated a more specific plan than any other extant candidate. Where is Perry’s plan? Where is Mitt’s plan? If it’s specifics you want, I’d daresay you won’t find more of them elsewhere than you do in Cain’s proposal.

Sounds to me like you’re more interested in maintaining the status quo. Sounds to me like you’re more interested in candidates that spout the same old bullshit we’ve been hearing for the last 30+ years. That’s fine. But not this voter right here. I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

The place to debate legislative proposals is in the legislature. I’ll go as far as saying that campaigning on 9-9-9 could be a mistake for Cain in the end, but for those of you who believe in polls, the numbers say otherwise.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Is that why Cain is polling behind Romney everyplace but NH?

Oh…wait….

/snark

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

If you take comfort in the poll of the week you will make the same mistake Perry’s supporters made. Romney has more money and more organization in the early states then Cain. Cain has no real ground game so far and not much money. That may change, but again, only if he can prove to donors he can take on and beat Romney. Your being naive.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Accusing me Team Romney of employing some sort of gambit or ploy to split Conservatives is pretty damn foolish smart of you.

Daemonocracy on October 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Re-read my original comment to you and what I posted below to Aslan’s Girl for context. I am urging conservatives on this forum not to fall for a Romney-promoted gambit to hype Newt should Cain start to drop again.

I am not accusing you of being on Team Romney. On the contrary, I am urging conservatives on this forum not to fall for a Romney-promoted gambit to hype Newt should Cain start to drop again.

Cain may be smart, but he’s not knowledgable. Newt is both.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Aslan’s Girl, don’t get sucked into Team Romney’s latest strategy being promoted by his staffers on conservative supporters.

- First, they promoted Bachmann but she imploded on Gardasil.

- Then, they promoted Cain who is now undergoing close scrutiny and doesn’t look like he will remain frontrunner for long, which brings us to

- Current Startegy: Hype Newt as a good alternative in case Cain implodes.

Notice the pattern? Mitt is trying to play his own “Anyone but Perry” strategy. He desperately needs a second conservative he can hype and sustain as an alternative to Perry and slide through while they duke it out.

But here is the truth:

- Cain has no chance, no money, no organization.

- Newt has too much baggage.

- Need I mention the twin attack dogs, Bachmann and Santorum? They are going nowhere.

Conservatives should unite behind Perry for their best chance at beating Romney and Obama.

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Cheers.

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I just watched the videos of Perry’s post-debate speech that bluefox and others have been linking to today and all I can say is “Woohoo!” Bless him, he even brought up Israel (he got cheers for that) and he showed how different he is from Cain when he said that EVERYONE up on that stage was better than Obama. Loved his “tooth fairy” quip, too. He was really energetic and forceful and this was after the debate.

I’ve made the vid (pt 1) my new hyperlink for my username. Great stuff.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Drat… I repeated the same sentence twice in my last post.

*Note to self – use Preview.

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Very amateur, and not the basis of a serious presidential campaign.

HTL on October 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I would agree with this and point out that Perry doesn’t even have a plan yet. Its been months now and we have gone through four debates where he has been asked again and again for his economic plan and he keeps saying the dog ate his homework.

How do you decide to start campaigning for president without an economic plan? Cain’s plan is pretty thin on details but at least he handed his in.

Neither one are very impressive.

sharrukin on October 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I’m not normally big on polls-as-news, and I don’t pick my candidates based on polling numbers. Mitt’s problem now is that there are a lot of people that do. “Frontrunner” status tends to be self-perpetuating, and aside from his poll numbers, Cain has something even more important in his favor as far as I’m concerned: He advocated a substantive tax policy while every other candidate stood by and let him steal their thunder because they thought 9-9-9 would sink his presidential ambitions like the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

I’m simply not ready to declare Romney’s coronation a fait accompli. It’s wayyyyyyyyy too early.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Twerp is walking through the stable as I type. Time to change horses once again as they load her trusty steed, Gov. Rick, onto the truck to the glue factory.

Maybe Black Lightning wasn’t a bad horse after all.

bw222 on October 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on October 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Don’t worry, Perry’s my candidate and will stay my candidate til he wins (or drops out). If Romney does want to promote anyone not named Perry, at least Newt’s not in on the joke like Bachmann, Cain, and Santorum. Newt is his own man. If I find out he’s another in Romney’s stable of stalking horses, I’ll drop him as my second choice.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I completely agree with that. Im not going to tell anyone to “fall in line” and vote for Romney when they dont want to, its condescending and ridiculous. Its early. My primary is Texas, so I pretty much know which way that is going but Im going to vote for my guy anyway and I wouldnt tell anyone to do differently.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

And may the best man win. :D

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

“The time to debate the merits of 9-9-9, such as they are, is when President Herman Cain is trying to push it through Congress.”

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

That sounds a lot like “you have to pass the bill in order to find out what’s in the bill.”

powerpro on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

sharrukin on October 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Congress can take whatever revenue source they want. We gave them that power a long, long, time ago.

Regardless, he is not advocating adding new revenue sources, he specifically promotes replacing unfair, laborious, social engineering focused, control freakish, inefficient, obstructive, intrusive, and property confiscatory revenue sources with simple and fair ones that respect individual’s privacy and property.

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Perry has a ton of money and hes third now in most polls.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Really?

I keep hearing that. But, let’s see it. How much money does he have?

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Lol, exactly, thats all I want. If someone can stop the Romney train they will be formidable in the general because its going to be tough and at the same time if Romney can find a way to win when 70 percent of the party doesnt care for him thats going to improve his abilities in the general. Strong fights are good for everybody and if its not my guy in the end, well then he blew it and then I’ll just go with the winner and do everything in my power to get rid of Obama. Thats all I care about. Have a good night everyone.

nswider on October 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Really?

I keep hearing that. But, let’s see it. How much money does he have?

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

17.1 million from this past quarter per this Hotair post.

Knucklehead on October 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Really?

I keep hearing that. But, let’s see it. How much money does he have?

Saltysam on October 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Did you miss Ed’s post from last week where Perry raised $17 million in 49 days, most of it coming after his “have a heart” comment?

Here:

His burn rate is really good, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM

powerpro on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

No. That sounds like “The people’s elected representatives will decide if the bill gets to the president’s desk to be signed.” We don’t need to be debating the specifics of legislation during a campaign. Or was Nancy Pelosi campaigning during the passage of Obamacare?

Trust me, guys and gals. I’m not necessarily a big fan of 9-9-9 myself. But if you don’t like it, what out there is better? Romney’s plan? He doesn’t have one. Perry’s plan? He doesn’t have one. Newt’s plan? Granted Newt has offered up more policy specifics than most of the other candidates, but I don’t see Newt being more “specific” than Herman Cain.

I like Herman Cain because I believe he is most in agreement with me of any of the current candidates. Anyone that has a problem with that can plant their ruby-red lips on my pasty white derriere.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

He’s basing his entire campaign on 9-9-9 so no, I don’t think the time to hash out the merits is after he’s elected primarily if not solely on this proposal.

I’ve been leaning Cain but my sense is that really, he’s Mr. Sizzle at a time when we need Mr. Steak.

So yeah…I’m paying more attention to Newt and think I might be able to kinda sorta live with voting for him.

powerpro on October 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

bw222 on October 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Still too early to call, they haven’t even been led to the starting gates yet. The debates are us looking them over in the corrals and handicapping them.

Dr Evil on October 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM

powerpro on October 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

You’re entitled to your opinion. I’m not going to sit here and sing the praises of 9-9-9. I don’t feel comfortable going that far. What I do know is that Herman Cain has a plan and no one else seems to. I think it’s fair to say that the other candidates believed 9-9-9 would sink Cain like the Titanic; it hasn’t.

I just place debating legislation in a campaign — ANY legislation — in the same ideaspace as crowning Romney the nominee before a single caucus tally or primary vote is cast. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM

What the other candidates should be doing is saying something along the lines of:

Here’s my plan and here’s why I think it would work better.

Instead, we get a bunch of people telling us how awful 9-9-9 is and what a nonstarter it is anyway, in which case it really shouldn’t matter to Cain’s election chances anyway, should it?

I wanna know who has the alternatives. “He’s not advancing a crazy plan like 9-9-9″ is not a substantive policy position.

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Gingrich 2012

Daemonocracy on October 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for posting that. I’ve read some but not all, but bookmarked it. I had just finished reading Cains outline.

I must say I like the Gingrich Plan much better. His plan is clearer and not as confusing as the Cain Plan. I think also Newt’s contain more and may not be as expensive.

bluefox on October 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I’m not influenced by any Gambit, Newt has been inching up with me for months now. If Perry can’t earn his support then he doesn’t deserve it: insulting the base by calling them heartless, an inability to defend his own record, an inability to articulate his positions and the absence of an on air presence in the form of ads is his own fault.

As I said before, Perry’s main support was anti-Romney and they are looking for a home. Maybe his chance will come again, in fact it most likely will because I don’t think Cain’s 999 plan or Foreign policy will stand up to scrutiny, but it is also my opinion that before the base goes back to Perry they are going to take a second look at Gingrich as I have done.

Daemonocracy on October 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Cain’s advantage against the other “not-Romney” candidates may also be his greatest obstacle: the collapsing schedule as Florida and SC move into January and NH threatens a December 6 primary. While others may not have the chance to knock Cain back down, he may not have time to build a national organization.

As of two weeks ago, he had exactly 30 paid staff in six states. That’s it.

Remember Hillary Clinton won more primary votes and delegates than Barack Obama, whose organization in “red” caucus states she ignored gave him the delegate lead (and enabled him to argue the “Super Delegates” better not go “against the will of the people”).

Romney has been building a full-schedule organization for years now.

Florida isn’t necessarily helping Republicans at all by shortening our opening stages of the process.

Adjoran on October 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Oh, and Cain’s 999 plan doesn’t add up, it would pile another $200 billion per year in deficits in the beginning, which dog won’t hunt.

Adjoran on October 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Its knowledge of what happened with Reagan when he tried to make a deal with Congress and how the revenue increases took place, but the promised reductions never did.

sharrukin on October 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Perry said exactly that last night.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Perry said exactly that last night.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM

He was right. So was Bachmann about taxes never going away when they have been introduced.

sharrukin on October 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Herman Cain is Nancy Pelosi on his foreign policy answers. When asked he says, “I can’t give you an answer until AFTER I’m sworn in.” Oof.

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Dr Evil on October 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

The first vote cast might be as soon as December 6 thanks to Mitt. That’s seven weeks away! We better start hoping ppl are paying attention.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

powerpro on October 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Why Newt and not, say Perry? Just curious.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

A totally fair assertion and a big reason that I would have preferred another certain someone to enter the race. She decided not to, so here we are.

gryphon202 on October 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

If you would point out to me which posts are biased and contain misinformation, I’d be glad to review them.

bluefox on October 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM
What am I, your slave? Put the warm yellow KoolAid down, throw your own numbers into Turbo Tax using the 999 plan and figure it out yourself.

But then again you’re a Perry supporter tearing down 999 with your hyperventilating “OMG it’s so dangerous” while your guy has yet to offer up anything.

Knucklehead on October 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

You are the one criticizing me and here is what you said:

bluefox on October 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

And you should stop listening to some of the biased, misinformation that’s being posted her at HA about the 9-9-9 plan. I think you’re the one that needs to review it independently instead listening to what others are telling you here.

Knucklehead on October 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I have reviewed it and I am of the same opinion. It will decrease taxes for the higher income earners, increase taxes for the working poor and those on fixed Incomes. The National Sales Tax is another Tax that we have never had and giving this government more authority to tax Americans is the last thing that should be done.

If you like it, that’s your choice. I don’t like it and that’s my choice.

If you don’t like my comments, then just skip by them. You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. But you are not entitled to tell me what or what not to say or opine about.

bluefox on October 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM

HTL on October 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I don’t support Cain due to his 999 plan. From what is listed isn’t anything more than an outline, a proposal. I couldn’t enter any data to figure any tax liability for Federal, State or Local.

From the info listed, higher incomes will benefit, fixed Income earners and the working poor will see their taxes increase. Cain is on video saying that Food will be taxed. A 9% tax on food in this economy? What else? Basic necessities?

Too many ifs, maybes, perhaps, later and the like.

What I can determine, I don’t like. Cain has some good points when debating, but this 999 is THE reason I would never support him. I don’t know who prepared this plan for him, but his is the name on it.

I’ve glanced over Newt’s plan and like what I’ve seen so far, but want to review it further.

bluefox on October 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

This reminds me of the Tea Party getting Christine O’Donnell nominated for the Senate. She was a terrible candidate who had run before and lost every time, but they were more interested in making the “perfect” the enemy of the good. All this RINO labeling will doom this movement. We might as well have a third party for all the good this is doing us.

flataffect on October 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Cheers.

TheRightMan on October 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Got it:-)

bluefox on October 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I’ve made the vid (pt 1) my new hyperlink for my username. Great stuff.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Glad you had time to see those!! I knew you’d love them! He really was in his comfort zone and expressed his ideas clearly and you could tell everyone there understood them.

Good idea to use that hyperlink for your name:-)

bluefox on October 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Force the Dems to pass their single payer model; for a true Conservative there are certain lines that must NOT be crossed and they do not coordinate or comply with statists on such a major portion of our economy in any way once that line is crossed. He should have forced the Blue state to be blue and go over his head, objections and free market alternatives.
Daemonocracy on October 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Wow, that’s pure genius! Why didn’t the GOP think of that?!/

Buy Danish on October 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM