Occupy LA: “The bourgeoisie won’t go without violent means”

posted at 9:25 am on October 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, I wrote that leftist populist uprisings always start with talk about justice, but always end up demanding redistribution — and the guillotine.  Zombie and Ringo at Pajamas Media gets a great example of this at the Occupy LA protest, where a speaker scoffed at the notion of change through non-violent protests.  Calling Mahatma Gandhi a “tumor” that the rich use to keep the 99% down, this philosopher instead prefers the “bloody” French Revolution.  The fun starts at about thirty seconds in:

One of the speakers said the solution is nonviolent movement. No, my friend. I’ll give you two examples: French Revolution, and Indian so-called Revolution.

Gandhi, Gandhi today is, with respect to all of you, Gandhi today is a tumor that the ruling class is using constantly to mislead us. French Revolution made fundamental transformation. But it was bloody.

India, the result of Gandhi, is 600 million people living in maximum poverty.

So, ultimately, the bourgeoisie won’t go without violent means. Revolution! Yes, revolution that is led by the working class.

Long live revolution! Long live socialism!

I’ve been to a few Tea Party events and don’t recall anyone on stage advocating the “bloody” overthrow of the United States.  I have seen on occasions people carrying signs with the famous Thomas Jefferson quote from 1787, “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  It is its natural manure.”  The media usually uses those images to paint Tea Party activists as an angry, violent mob.

With that in mind, I’m sensitive to taking things out of context, but that hardly seems to be the case with this clip.  This person appears to be a leader of the protest, as he has the microphone without wrestling it from the man holding it.   At least one previous speaker must have spoken about the virtues of nonviolent protest, but this rebuttal gets quite a few cheers, too.  Perhaps subsequent speakers scolded this man and a show of jazz hands exiled him from the Occupy Movement, but somehow I think he captures the true intent of this movement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isnt threatening violence a rather serious offense?

KillerKane on October 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM

only if you’re tea party.

abcurtis on October 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I’m not clear on what they expect to happen with their threats. Are rich people going to hand over bank-account numbers and passwords? Give them the keys to their McMansions? Who decides who gets their fair-share when the spoils are divvied up? When it’s gone it’s gone. Then what? These people demand jobs? Who is going to hire the people who call for violence and poop on cop cars? Okay, besides unions.

betsyz on October 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

That’s when the real fun begins. it’s like the dog that chases the car. now that he has it, he has no clue as to what to do with it.

abcurtis on October 12, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Violent rhetoric may be all it is; In the United States, what section of the population generally owns and uses their own firearms?

Republicans, Libertarians, and Tea Party members, that’s who.

Good luck with that revolution, Occupy Wallstreet Losers.

Karthanon on October 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM

So, ultimately, the bourgeoisie won’t go without violent means.

Bring it…

… and when the firing starts, don’t be surprised if your standing in the street alone.

Seven Percent Solution on October 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Time to get my CC permit.

Danny on October 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I don’t think he wants to be on our street…we have neighbors with a deer stand in their yard…a perfect perch to pick off a few punks.
Come on down to NC, we will have a party with you…

right2bright on October 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The doucheoise are looking to take on the bourgeouisie…

Uh-huh… and the Trustafarians are going to do what, exactly, when they get out of the urban environs? Picket their parents? This ought to be interesting… some of these people don’t know what real hardship is, yet. But they will when mom and dad cut off the allowance and they find their Star Wars collection in boxes at the end of the driveway.

ajacksonian on October 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM

These people don’t know how to operate a shower stall, let alone a black rifle.

Talking through a bullhorn to a bunch of hippies and other slackers doesn’t require any courage.

Trying to take something of mine does.

If these people try to take over our property, we will enslave them.

molonlabe28 on October 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Sh!t-talking Maoist wusses like that guy will be nowhere to be found once the lead starts flying.

Christien on October 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM

When the freeways are closed, and he and his pals have to take the surface streets, they’re finished.

Christien on October 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

What is this guy’s name? We need to know. He sounds like he is from some Turdistan country in the middle east or Iran. It’s a double edged sword. If you call for violence, then that is what you will get in return.

These people actually think the French Revolution’s reign of terror is something good. The new Jacobin club is being formed before our eyes, except this time, Robespierre has multiple lasers painted between his eyes already.

Bleed_thelizard on October 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I volunteer to fit this ass for dentures

Sonosam on October 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yesterday I introduced myself to the cross-bow hunter who’s been hunting in the game lands behind my retreat… My neighbor came out while the guy was still putting on his camo, they went to school together 30 years ago…
The cross bow was impressive… He told me that he had taken a couple record setting bucks out of that area with a bow years ago… But now he likes the cross-bow.
I gotta git me one a them cross bows… Fer when silent but deadly seems best.

RalphyBoy on October 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

labrat on October 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

betsyz on October 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

If I were a billionaire I think a brilliant idea would be to go into the crowd with a bag of, say, 1 million dollars, break it open and throw the money up in the air. Watching the crowd eat itself would be quite the show and well worth the money.

BakerAllie on October 12, 2011 at 2:59 PM

If the left wants to rise up in bloody revolution, I’m all too happy to meet them head on.

madmonkphotog on October 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Sorry to sound like Beck’s drum, but he warned about this Cloward-Piven bottom-up stuff a while back.

Leftist revolutions end up with guys like Robespierre & Hebert, Lenin, and Mao more likely than the do George Washington. So begin the melee at street level and some strong arm will come up to impose order. Gaffe-man Biden did say that America would find out that Obama has a spine of iron.

Wonder how?

Axeman on October 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Big Trouble for Moose and Squirrel!

Hochmeister on October 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Somehow these idiots always manage to confuse me…until I realize that it was a mistake to give them credit for any cogent thought, any real purpose to their demonstration, or any real reason to be angry.

When the “thanks-for-letting-me-come-to-your-country-so-I-can-have-an-audience-while-I-blame-everyone-else-for-the-misery-I’ve-created-for-myself” speaker is talking, doesn’t he complain about the wealth that the average Senator has?

So why does he end up complaining about the bourgeoisie here, and comparing India with its lack of a bourgeoisie to be worse than France? Does he not know that the bourgeoisie is actually the middle class, not the upper class?

What a moron who is too dumb to see his own ignorance.

Certainly he doesn’t know the old Persian proverb: He that knows not, but knows not that he knows not, is a fool. Flee from him.

rwenger43 on October 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

The rest of the proverb is pretty appropriate for our culture today, too:

He that knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child. Teach him.
He that knows, but knows not that he knows, is simple. Help him.
He that knows, and knows that he knows, is wise. Follow him.
He that knows not, but knows not that he knows not, is a fool. Flee from him.

rwenger43 on October 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

This nimrod is more than welcome to come to my front door with his torch and pitchfork.

GarandFan on October 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

So who is this little white Cuban maggot? I keep looking for his name but no one mentions it.

Jaibones on October 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Bleed_thelizard on October 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM

No, no, no. He’s latino, but white.

Jaibones on October 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM