Christie shills for Romney: It’s “completely intellectually dishonest” to compare RomneyCare to ObamaCare

posted at 4:50 pm on October 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

That’s the lowlight from this pitiful spectacle, in which a guy who’s famous for uttering hard truths whether or not people want to hear them endorses a guy who’s famous for telling people whatever they want to hear to win votes. (See Ben Smith’s post today for a vivid illustration of the latter.) In one sense, it’s a no-brainer: Christie’s a centrist and Romney’s the great centrist hope, so the endorsement was a fait accompli. But then, Christie’s no ordinary centrist. Along with Ryan and Mitch Daniels, he’s one of the GOP’s three warriors on the all-important subject of entitlement reform. And here he is boosting a guy whose chief line of attack against Rick Perry is … demagoging him for being too hardline on entitlement reform. Disgraceful. And insofar as Romney’s opportunistic timidity on entitlements presages timidity on cutting federal spending generally — take two minutes to read this Peter Suderman post from last week to see why — it’s a betrayal of Christie’s budget-slashing ethos.

But as I say, this was the lowlight:

Speaking about Romney’s Massachusetts health-care program, Christie said it was “completely intellectually dishonest” to compare it to Obamacare.

“Gov. Romney did not raise one tax in doing what he did in trying to improve the health-care system in Massachusetts,” Christie said. “I will tell you, that I’m proud of him for standing up for doing what he believes is right.”

“The president of the United States is raising taxes over and over again to pay for this plan he still won’t pay for. What Gov. Romney did was what he believed was responsible as governor of Massachusetts to allow people to have access to health care. All the governors should have that opportunity to make that judgment on their own,” continued Christie, who emphasized that he believed each state should be allowed to put forward their own health-care solutions.

It’s actually completely intellectually dishonest not to compare it to ObamaCare, which is why even Christie’s pal Paul Ryan has remarked publicly on the similarities between the two. Christie tried to distinguish the programs today on grounds that RomneyCare, unlike ObamaCare, didn’t raise taxes, but that’s a mighty cold comfort:

Depending on whether or not you consider the penalty for non-compliance with the mandate a tax, Romney could argue that technically, his health care plan didn’t raise taxes. However, what it did do was lead to massive cost overruns that ended up triggering future tax increases. As the New York Times reported in 2008, “The legislature and (Gov. Deval) Patrick filled a health care spending gap that approached $200 million for this fiscal year by increasing the tobacco tax by $1 a pack, levying one-time assessments on insurers and hospitals, and raising more money from businesses that do not contribute to their employees’ insurance.”

That’s from Philip Klein’s post in April offering five reasons why RomneyCare and ObamaCare really are siblings. Follow the last link and see reason five for his rebuttal of Christie’s “state and federal are totally different” argument. Another key similarity, as lefty Ezra Klein notes, is that many of the same people who worked on RomneyCare in Massachusetts are now helping to implement ObamaCare nationally. Follow that link too and note how long the list of names is. It wasn’t just consultations with top advisors, it’s personnel all through the administrative chain. And if that’s not enough for you, revisit this analysis published last month calculating how many jobs Massachusetts has lost due to Romney’s health-care bill. That’s something else he and Obama have in common. But hey — at least he didn’t raise any taxes at the time.

I hope Romney promised Christie a cabinet position in exchange for going this deep into the tank with such a dumb, nasty accusation about RomneyCare’s critics. It’s not as bad as Perry accusing immigration hawks of being heartless, but it’s still plenty stupid and alienating. The irony is, the whole thing’s likely to be overlooked as the media scrambles to cover Romney’s and Christie’s tag-team attack on Perry for refusing to repudiate Jeffress’s remarks about Mormonism. Perry’s team stood by that refusal this afternoon on grounds that it’s a distraction from RomneyCare, but the press won’t let him get away that easily. Should be a fun debate tonight.

Update: Great minds think alike. Here’s Philip Klein again, this time destroying Christie over today’s endorsement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Its dishonest not to compare it.

William Amos on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Remind me, did Chris Christie sue the feds over Obamacare?

El_Terrible on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

PHUCK YOU Romney!

bridgetown on October 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM

It’s politics, baby. Whaddya expect?

karlant on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

All aboard the RINO train to status quo……

idesign on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Tubby is schilling for a Cabinet position.

Unbelievable.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Romneycare also get half its funding from the federal government? If so, then of course Mittens didn’t have to raise taxes. He was able to get half the bill footed by the other 49 states. Also, didn’t he levy tons of new “fees” in place of tax hikes.

Again, if I’m wrong about this, I apologize to Romney. But if I’m right, then dude is being disingenuous at best about his actions as governor.

Doughboy on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I told you guys Christie was not a conservative.

NickDeringer on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

it’s a betrayal of Christie’s budget-slashing ethos.

Politicians don’t have principles, they have positions. Christie is exactly the squish many have accused him of.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Ya get what ya pay for. Would love to see Christie’s invoice.

Limerick on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Wasn’t Romney care the “blueprint” for Obamacare?

milwife88 on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

THE GOP WILL BETRAY YOU!!!

Seriously, what part of that do you party boys not understand? Another few times being proven right might help next time I open my mouth.

abobo on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

As we get into these later stages of the game, it’s funny to see how these behind-the-scenes alliances start to form. I guess they think we’re pretty stupid out here not to notice. I suppose Cain & Romney have a “Whoever gets the nom picks the other for VP” and Christie & Romney/Cain have a similar deal worked out for a cabinet post/Attorney General/DOJ post. It’s good to know that they’re not selling out for nothing, I guess.

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’m sensing that Herman Cain has already won tonight’s debate.

forest on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

TWO FOOLS
TWO TOOLS
TWO RINOS
TWO AHOLES
TWO WASTES OF LIFE
TWO FOLKS I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR

Gosh, Ann Coulter has been kind of quiet today?

SDarchitect on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Mitt must have had Krispy Kreme drop off a massive present to CC.

Southernblogger on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This should be a RINO eye opener

Kini on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Should be a fun debate tonight.

I think Herman Cain gets Perry is a Headlock, while Mitt hits Perry with a folding metal chair.

Also there might be a chance Santorum or Bachmann will start biting on Perry’s legs like small dogs.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hyperbolic, I know. However, isn’t Trump prone to hyperbole as well. I hate to paint with a wide brush and label northeasterners as hyperbolic so I’ll ask you….Is it a NY/NJ thing to make a point in such hyperbolic fashion?

ted c on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Remind me, did Chris Christie sue the feds over Obamacare?

El_Terrible on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

No he did not. I believe his chief argument against NJ getting involved was that other states were suing and NJ could not afford to join the suit.

WashJeff on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

“completely intellectually dishonest” to compare it to Obamacare.

I guess Christie does not like Romney. This tells me that he does not want to have an honest conversation. That he does not respect the voters much at all, essentially calling them liars, who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes morons? Glad Christie stepped up to the plate, I will enjoy watching him help Romney.

astonerii on October 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Glad he decided he wasn’t ready….this just proves that my gut was right about him…

Political Chef on October 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Off the top of my head I can only think of two groups that Christie has played hardball with: the NJ teachers union and MTV. This fails to inspire me with feelings of admiration.

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

All aboard the RINO train to status quo……

idesign on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

By about 2014, we’d give anything for the status quo.

Obama is the luckiest guy in the world. Fools, in a relatively free land, always deserve their leaders. May they be destroyed, to the point of no recovery.

Go gulching. It’s all not worth fighting for. Laugh at the world, if you can. Imbeciles deserve no less. Mock them.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Wait, no, I want the point to get across.

Phuck YOU Romeny/Christie. Both, Phuck you BOTH.

bridgetown on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Chris Christie stock just crashed to junk status.

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I have decided I don’t really care who the Republican nominee is, as long as he can beat Obama. If it is Romney, Cain or Perry, I am all in.

bopbottle on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I hate my party.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

In his press conference with NJ Gov. Chris Christie today, Mitt Romney slammed Rick Perry for the comments made by a pastor regarding Mormonism at the Values Voters Summit. Romney slammed Perry for choosing Pastor Jeffress to introduce him, and for associating himself with Jeffress’ remarks. Romney even hit Perry for saying that Jeffress’ remarks “hit it out of the park.” Romney decried a “religious test” and called on Perry to disassociate himself from Jeffress’ remarks.

The problem with Romney’s version of what happened is that it’s almost entirely untrue.

The Perry campaign did not select Rev. Jeffress; the Summit selected him and got a perfunctory sign-off from the campaign. Rev. Jeffress’ remark that Mormonism is a cult was not made in his introduction to Gov. Perry, but in remarks made to reporters later. As soon as he was aware of Jeffress’ remark, Perry did in fact disassociate himself with them entirely.

One problem here is that, in politics, when you’re explaining, you’re probably losing. To the extent that Perry spends any time chasing down this pile of lies told about him, he ends up being distracted from the task at hand. Romney is well aware of this.

Mitt Romney will say literally anything to get elected, including smearing fellow Republicans who stand in his way. Be warned, folks. I don’t see a basis for believing that a President Romney won’t throw anyone and everyone under the bus when the opportunity arises.

Bryan Preston at pajamasmedia (HT: AOSHQ)

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

El_Terrible on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

No, he decided that although he agreed with those states, New Jersey couldn’t afford the fight.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Hmm, Coulter is a fan of this Chris Christie?

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Sounds like he got “the visit” as well…

golfmann on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

What does that tell you?

Vashta.Nerada on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Chris Christie stock just crashed to junk status.

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Oh, the humanity! ;-S

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Romney/Christie 2012

A Dem Dream Team

BobMbx on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Shows that mavericks and renegades still put their thumbs out as the SS Good Old Boy sails past.

Limerick on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Great article AP, although I have to admit it raises more questions than it answers.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

2nd that political chef

cmsinaz on October 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Hmm, Coulter is a fan of this Chris Christie?

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

she’s got the shirt, the sheets, the posters, the stickers, the hat…the whole 9yds.

ted c on October 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Wow.

Perry thinks we’re heartless and now Romney’s sidekick thinks we’re intellectually dishonest.

darwin on October 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM

“Disgraceful.”

Vomit…

… Yep, just gotta love the political elite ruling class RINOs.

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Yup. Some people listen to his bluster and think that it means a whole lot more than it really does. They are desperate for some conservative leadership and start lookin’ for love in all the wrong places.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Gosh, Ann Coulter has been kind of quiet today?

SDarchitect on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Ann Coulter wants the Republican to win against Obama, and realizes that Romney, with all of his warts, is the best shot we have. Coulter knows that one has to hold one’s nose while voting sometimes.

Really Right on October 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Can’t wait for the eventual 180 here on the comments.

Red Cloud on October 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Jonah Goldberg linked Rev. Jeffress with the Republican Party and they played no part in the sponsorship of the Values Voters Summit from what I could see on their webpage. Our own press is unhelpful.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

And Herman Cain may well be a willing party to all of this, if he has in fact, thrown his lot in with Romney.

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I spoke to a New Jerseyan well-connected in that state’s Republican politics and he laid out the thinking behind Gov. Chris Christie’s endorsement of Mitt Romney today.

In the end, Christie didn’t have a lot of options in the GOP field. He’s a blue state Republican governor, with one other blue state Republican governor option in the field in Romney. “He’s reasonably conservative, he’s electable, and endorsing him doesn’t necessarily mean you carry all of his baggage,” this New Jerseyan said.

A Christie endorsement of Rick Perry was, fairly or not, never an option, according to this figure. Perry’s reputation in recent weeks has been defined by his stumbling debate performances, his close association with a particularly religious expression of social conservatism, the endorsing pastor’s comments about Mormonism, the offensive old name of his family’s hunting property, etc. Christie is up for reelection in November 2012, and “there’s just no way” that a Republican governor of the Garden State could be reelected if he’s closely associated with the “overtones” of Perry’s brand of conservatism, he said.

He added that one minor surprise in the timing of the Christie announcement is that it comes before the state legislative elections in November, where all 40 State Senate seats are on the ballot.

This New Jerseyan, who is well-connected to the Christie camp, predicts that the governor will be hitting the campaign trail on behalf of Romney from time to time, “popping up in Iowa, New Hampshire, probably Florida… Once Christie’s on the team, he’s definitely on the team.”

Geraghty at NRO. Of course Christie did have the option of not endorsing anyone just yet, too.

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Chris Christie stock just crashed to junk status.

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

No kidding

gophergirl on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

It’s “completely intellectually dishonest” to compare RomneyCare to ObamaCare

Note that the same guy who is lecturing us on Healthcare, hasn’t seen his feet since the second term of the Reagan Administration.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Really Right on October 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM

A vote for Romney is a vote for the Democrats in 2014 and 2016. Expect to see another Obama, only one that is a bit better at leading America off the cliff.

astonerii on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Well, I’m stealing AP’s eeyore costume for halloween.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I wouldn’t be too sure. Check out the headline on Drudge:

In a radio interview just now, Herman Cain previewed his Tuesday night debate plan: “I’m going after Romney.”
Continue Reading

“I’m not going after Perry. I don’t need to go after Perry,” Cain said, per POLITICO’s Juana Summers.

Cain might just prove that he’s in it to win it if he sticks to his word. BTW, I love how he just dismissed Perry as an afterthought.

Doughboy on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

A politician endorsing a politician. What will they think of next?

DanaSmiles on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

He has in my opinion. You know I don’t much care for Perry and the rest seem to be lining up behind Romney.

The choices are pitiful.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I’m fat, I take offense! And ugly too, and short, and covered in moles. Thats it, I am depressed now… B@stard! LOL

astonerii on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Ugh….. I have a serious case of Fat Man Fatigue.

Well, this is truly revolting, but I guess it’s time to grab some cold ones and get ready for the debate. Drinking game? Nein…Nein….Nein!!!! That’ll do for a start.

Cody1991 on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Oh, well. Another RINO exposed.

RedNewEnglander on October 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Disappointment…avoided, so far.

Speakup on October 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hmm, Coulter is a fan of this Chris Christie?

kerrhome on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

She loves both Romney and Christie. :puke:

ChristianRock on October 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So Romney is taking a page out of McCain’s book. Insult conservatives until the general election, and then tell them with a sneer, “You have to vote for me. Look at the alternative.”

Yeah, that worked out well. Not that conservatives would stay home from election day in 2012, given the likelihood of SCOTUS vacancies. But an enthusiastic GOTV effort matters.

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Methinks Mr. former Assistant US Attorney sees himself as a pretty nifty United States Attorney General.

tommyboy on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

The choices are pitiful.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

No wonder Paul Ryan and Mike Pence didn’t want any part of this. As the old saying goes: You lay down with the pigs and you end up covered in…

cynccook on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Tubby is schilling for a Cabinet position.

Unbelievable.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Which cabinet? The one where the Twinkies are stored?

Ward Cleaver on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Wow, Christie just took a dive that was quite unnecessary. If Perry can’t straighten this out quickly and Cain stays in the tank for Romney then maybe Santorum is looking better and better.

DanMan on October 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Plus, the cognitive dissonance:

on Romney endorsement.

On Perry endorsement.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Doughboy on October 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Let’s hope he sticks to his word.

gophergirl on October 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I’m not a big Rush listener, but happened to tune in today around 2:45 Eastern time. He had a female caller who so eloquently laid out the anti-Romney case. Anyone catch it? She was not hysterical or “true conservative-ish,” but she just said what so many are thinking: Romney has been so very liberal on the most important questions of our time. If he is the candidate, conservatives will stay home and Obama will be re-elected. It’ll be McCain all over again. She left Rush just speechless — he truly could not muster a defense of Romney in any way at all except to say “Obama must be defeated,” and then she said, “And what will we have instead with Romney? In what ways will he be different than Obama?” Rush just sputtered, said something about “No one is like Obama, blah, blah, blah.” He had no answer at all. You don’t hear Rush speechless very often, but it was so depressing. He knew she was right. He knew that if (when?) Romney gets the nomination, it means Obama wins four more years.

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I heard it and I agree with you completely. She was magnificent, and I could have listened to her for a lot longer. She is real American, a real conservative, extremely knowledgeable, articulate, and concerned for her country and where this Republican nomination process is going. I hope she gets some significant recognition and additional opportunities to be heard.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The woman who called is excellent; she puts Romney in perspective.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Wasn’t Romney care the “blueprint” for Obamacare?

milwife88 on October 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

It was revealed the other day that O’bama’s “advisors” had consulted with Rommney’s people while drafting their plan Boondoggle.

Del Dolemonte on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I don’t understand the animosity toward Romney inherent in the article. Really, I don’t. Would I love to have absolutely everything I believe in, in a candidate? Sure would. But to get that I’d have to be living with Ricardo Montalban on Fantasy Island.

Does Romney believe some form of government healthcare is a good thing for people? Probably. Did he make a mistake with RomneyCare? Yep. But what else would you expect from the governor of Mass? Would he do it again? Doubtful. Should he admit it was a mistake? No. While I’d like him to, I know that the media would kill him for it, hence his spin.

But what about everything else? I know I’m not a one-issue voter, so how does he stack up on the rest?

Will he cut spending and not raise taxes? Yes.
Will he enforce trade agreements around the world and specifically deal with China’s currency manipulation? Yes.
Will he repeal ObamaCare? Yes.
Is he strong on defense? Yes.
Is he strong on immigration? Yes.
Is he pro-life? Yes.
Will he appoint conservative justices to the Federal and Supreme Courts? Yes.
Is he a friend of Israel’s, our one democratic ally in the Middle East? Yes.

I could go on, and I’m sure this crowd could reply back with questions that have “no” answers, but I’m not sure what we’re expecting out of our politicians. Michael Reagan was right when he said his father couldn’t get elected based on today’s conservative demands.

Keep your eye on the prize, people! Get Obama out of the White House. Romney may not be perfect, but he’s far from the horror show people are making him out to be.

bigdubs on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Herman Cain smiles.

Knucklehead on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I’m starting to think I’d rather be heartless than stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I am really shocked at Allahpundit and the Hotair staff. i didn’t know that Hotair is now officially supporting Rick Perry in this campaign. Good to know.

This whole post is a political assault on Romney and Christie, and is completely unwarranted.

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You’re 15 minutes are up Christie….to back to jersey and continue what you are doing there

cmsinaz on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

If Romney is the nominee a lot will stay home.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

What does that tell you?

Vashta.Nerada on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

That Perry better get a Rabies shot before the debate.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

He’s taking the entire book. Dusted off the ashes of defeat and ignominy without a shred of recognition or shame.

rrpjr on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Gosh, Ann Coulter has been kind of quiet today?

SDarchitect on October 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing…

WhoU4 on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

And other posts are assaults on Perry or Cain or Palin. Your point? It’s a primary. Grow up.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You’ll be alright.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

So you agree with Rice Christie that Romneycare should in no way be compared to Obamacare? On the same day it’s leaked that Romney advisors met with the Obama Administration(including Barry himself) to help craft Obamacare? Seriously?

Doughboy on October 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Mark Levin has a poll about this endorsement. 90% of the respondents said they aren’t voting for Romney.

Go vote!!

karenhasfreedom on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I told you guys Christie was not a conservative.

NickDeringer on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I’ve never had any illusions about Christie. Sure, he stands up to the teacher’s unions, but I knew he wasn’t a conservative.

Ward Cleaver on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

under Rombamacare’s social justice health care roulette, as an extremely well fed big old white male, you should be denied any expensive life saving care for the higher good of the collective. you’re taking up too many bloody resources and oppressing the under classes. your carbon footprint is unacceptable.

no matter how many chunky RINO robots you drag out there to deny the truth of what you did, willard, it only makes you look more and more oily, arrogant, and slimy. and you are no conservative. why don’t you two spirit RINO husbands get a room together, change parties so your narratives will finally seem at least somewhat sensical.

you do belong to couple of cults, though- the cult of totalitarian socialism and the washington party power cult.

mittens on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Romney/Christie 2012

It does have a certain ring to it. I guess the Perryhaters concerned uncommitted voters can make their announcement now.

cozmo on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I’m starting to think I’d rather be heartless than stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Thread winner

Vashta.Nerada on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

They probably drove by a racist rock without attacking it with hammer and chisel. Thats just the sort of thing they would do.

sharrukin on October 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM

how do you close the stupid AMEX ad so i can read the post? annoying!

pecan pie on October 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Chudi on October 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You can go back and tell your boss that we’re not buying what he’s selling.

Ward Cleaver on October 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

So Chris Christie = Mitt Romney = Scott Brown… I will never vote for Scott Brown… The only reason I voted for McCain was because of Palin…

Cain will throw u under the racial bus at the drop of a hat…

And Perry will not stop illegal immigration & will probably pass the Dream Act since he believes in educating Illegals at a discount…

And the rest are also-runs…

So “No Candidates for Conservative men”

Y314K on October 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

As much as I admire Cain, if he does NOT at least begin to go on the attack against Romney, then he will NOT win the nomination – nor should he. Further, if Cain does NOT go after Romney, then Romney will be our nominee.

Mr Cain, ignore Perry. Job #1 is to go after Romney tonight. Do not let up and you may just win this thing to the chagrin of the RINO establishment. Who knows – you may even earn a few important endorsements if you do this…

CliffHanger on October 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I told you guys Christie was not a conservative.

NickDeringer on October 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I wasn’t interested in a conservative. I was interested in someone I thought was fiscally responsible. And would be able to deliver hard truths to people and bring them over to reality.

Christie decided it was easier to lie to us.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Bush has been pretty quiet, but I think it’s a good time to ask, “Do you miss me yet?”

stacman on October 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Phuck YOU Romeny/Christie. Both, Phuck you BOTH.

bridgetown on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Calm the hell down.

haner on October 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Job #1 is to go after Romney

Obama

Romney tonight.

Meh. I guess it’s the same either way.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM

how do you close the stupid AMEX ad so i can read the post? annoying!

pecan pie on October 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Use Firefox instead of IE, and install the AdBlock Plus add-on.

Ward Cleaver on October 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Christie makes huge political mistake.
Romney has no stance that can’t be reversed when it is politically expedient.

carbon_footprint on October 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

You know I think Romney’s strategy is to run for the general right now, and he hopes to do an end run around all the R conservatives who won’t vote for him in the primaries by (a) getting the R Establishment and Money behind him, (b) trying to set up timing of primaries to favor him (Nevada) and (c) looking “presidential” in the debates and at campaign stops.

INC on October 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Christie knows he’s unelectable for a second term in NJ, so instead of running for POTUS in 2012, he endorses Mitt, gets a nice cabinet position and gets set up as the RINO candidate in 2020 (assuming Mitt wins).

BTW, Mark Levin’s show today is going to be EPIC!!

davek70 on October 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Will he cut spending and not raise taxes? Yes.
Will he repeal ObamaCare? Yes.
Is he strong on defense? Yes.
Is he strong on immigration? Yes.
Is he pro-life?
Will he appoint conservative justices to the Federal and Supreme Courts? Yes.
Is he a friend of Israel’s, our one democratic ally in the Middle East? Yes.

bigdubs on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

What Romney says he will do, and what he will are two different things.

Pro-life? How many times has he flip-flopped on that? How much were abortions udner Romneycare? $45?

He will say anything, do anything to get elected in a particular election. He can’t be trusted. That’s the problem. The only thing holding his feet to the fire would be conservative caucuses in the GOP-held House and Senate, and the hope of re-election in 2016. Might be enough, but might not.

Wethal on October 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Yep. It’s on par with Mooch lecturing the rest of us about our eating habits while she shovels everything she can find into her mouth. Everyone I know is losing weight because they can no longer afford to buy as much food as in the past. That’s fine up to a point. The problem is that food prices keep ratcheting up.

Being a governor must pay well, I must say. Wonder how much it costs to maintain Krispie’s impressive girth?

And on a different note…… I don’t know about the rest of y’all, but I’m in no mood for a NE Republican elitist and a Yankee lecturing me about RomneyCare. I’ve had it with this so-called potus hectoring and lecturing us, and I’m damned sure not in the mood to hear it from Fat Boy.

Cody1991 on October 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM