Christie shills for Romney: It’s “completely intellectually dishonest” to compare RomneyCare to ObamaCare

posted at 4:50 pm on October 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

That’s the lowlight from this pitiful spectacle, in which a guy who’s famous for uttering hard truths whether or not people want to hear them endorses a guy who’s famous for telling people whatever they want to hear to win votes. (See Ben Smith’s post today for a vivid illustration of the latter.) In one sense, it’s a no-brainer: Christie’s a centrist and Romney’s the great centrist hope, so the endorsement was a fait accompli. But then, Christie’s no ordinary centrist. Along with Ryan and Mitch Daniels, he’s one of the GOP’s three warriors on the all-important subject of entitlement reform. And here he is boosting a guy whose chief line of attack against Rick Perry is … demagoging him for being too hardline on entitlement reform. Disgraceful. And insofar as Romney’s opportunistic timidity on entitlements presages timidity on cutting federal spending generally — take two minutes to read this Peter Suderman post from last week to see why — it’s a betrayal of Christie’s budget-slashing ethos.

But as I say, this was the lowlight:

Speaking about Romney’s Massachusetts health-care program, Christie said it was “completely intellectually dishonest” to compare it to Obamacare.

“Gov. Romney did not raise one tax in doing what he did in trying to improve the health-care system in Massachusetts,” Christie said. “I will tell you, that I’m proud of him for standing up for doing what he believes is right.”

“The president of the United States is raising taxes over and over again to pay for this plan he still won’t pay for. What Gov. Romney did was what he believed was responsible as governor of Massachusetts to allow people to have access to health care. All the governors should have that opportunity to make that judgment on their own,” continued Christie, who emphasized that he believed each state should be allowed to put forward their own health-care solutions.

It’s actually completely intellectually dishonest not to compare it to ObamaCare, which is why even Christie’s pal Paul Ryan has remarked publicly on the similarities between the two. Christie tried to distinguish the programs today on grounds that RomneyCare, unlike ObamaCare, didn’t raise taxes, but that’s a mighty cold comfort:

Depending on whether or not you consider the penalty for non-compliance with the mandate a tax, Romney could argue that technically, his health care plan didn’t raise taxes. However, what it did do was lead to massive cost overruns that ended up triggering future tax increases. As the New York Times reported in 2008, “The legislature and (Gov. Deval) Patrick filled a health care spending gap that approached $200 million for this fiscal year by increasing the tobacco tax by $1 a pack, levying one-time assessments on insurers and hospitals, and raising more money from businesses that do not contribute to their employees’ insurance.”

That’s from Philip Klein’s post in April offering five reasons why RomneyCare and ObamaCare really are siblings. Follow the last link and see reason five for his rebuttal of Christie’s “state and federal are totally different” argument. Another key similarity, as lefty Ezra Klein notes, is that many of the same people who worked on RomneyCare in Massachusetts are now helping to implement ObamaCare nationally. Follow that link too and note how long the list of names is. It wasn’t just consultations with top advisors, it’s personnel all through the administrative chain. And if that’s not enough for you, revisit this analysis published last month calculating how many jobs Massachusetts has lost due to Romney’s health-care bill. That’s something else he and Obama have in common. But hey — at least he didn’t raise any taxes at the time.

I hope Romney promised Christie a cabinet position in exchange for going this deep into the tank with such a dumb, nasty accusation about RomneyCare’s critics. It’s not as bad as Perry accusing immigration hawks of being heartless, but it’s still plenty stupid and alienating. The irony is, the whole thing’s likely to be overlooked as the media scrambles to cover Romney’s and Christie’s tag-team attack on Perry for refusing to repudiate Jeffress’s remarks about Mormonism. Perry’s team stood by that refusal this afternoon on grounds that it’s a distraction from RomneyCare, but the press won’t let him get away that easily. Should be a fun debate tonight.

Update: Great minds think alike. Here’s Philip Klein again, this time destroying Christie over today’s endorsement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

A feature to some, a bug to others. We’ll see in time how a majority of America feels, and if we’re ready to stop the insanity.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I agree! 100 %.
As for me, I can only speak for myself I am ready to STOP THE INSANITY.

ColdWarrior57 on October 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Now that doesn’t make sense to me; if a candidate is behind then he wants more time to try to win. Someone who is sure he’s going to win wants to just get it over with ASAP.

whatcat on October 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Romney is not behind. He is about 3-5 points ahead of his nearest competition. He is bleeding off votes the longer his competition is competing against him. He wants the primaries sooner to knock out his competition before he makes an unforced error, or the Base gets behind one candidate which would destroy him.

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM

That’s why I’m not sure what you’re saying, as each of your bullet point questions began with: “If Romney is winning”.

whatcat on October 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Raising taxes takes a vote…Romney raised “fees”, and that hurt the middle class, all without a vote…Taxation without representation, a standard principal to people like Christie and Romney…

right2bright on October 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Just keep it up man, just showing your true colors.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

So is Christie, now that he’s gone all-in with Mitt. At the end of the day, I’ll still have my self-respect. That’s one thing a vote can’t buy.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

The Republican Brass, aka Globalists are showing their hand.

jeffersonschild on October 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

But the patient doesn’t pay, the taxpayer does. How is it that it’s not Reagan’s fault that taxpayers shoulder this debt burden, but it is Romney’s fault that Obama seized upon a plan meant for one State and turned it into Federal mandate?

Buy Danish on October 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Reagan’s law didn’t shield the patient from costs/bills/charges/debt.

Laws that were passed later did that. The authors and legislatures that passed those laws are the ones to blame for that.

If you can find any shield from debt in Reagan’s law, I’ll be happy to retract.

I think you know as well as I do that later laws took advantage of Reagan’s “no refusal of care” directive.

I hope you’re not trying to attribute that statement to me. I’ve said nothing of the sort.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

The War Planner on October 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the primaries.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Well, well, well . . . Christie’s credibility is about to assume a position just below whale manure.

rplat on October 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Did Pawlenty pass a health care law with an individual mandate? No.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

And bless him for that. He did, however, have this to say:

“In Minnesota as to the access issue, I believe we should move towards universal coverage. Everybody should be in a health plan of some sort. How we get there becomes important, I think a mandate by itself is potentially helpful, but is not an answer by itself.”

from Reason, Hit and Run

Read it all if you still have questions.

Jaibones on October 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

… and mnay more in the great “establishment” conspiracy!

swamp_yankee on October 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Of course, that is what happens the establishment protects the establishment…insiders support insiders.
We all knew that the GOP was going to throw all their weight behind a candidate that won’t make changes…that is what they call the “status quo” welcome to the club. You want no changes, than you elect someone who is supported by people who want no changes…you are getting exactly who you want.
No changes in ObamaCare, no changes in the energy programs, no changes in the EPA…have at it.

right2bright on October 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Just like Governor Gardasil got burned on the vaccine mandate (though it never went into effect thanks to the Texas legislature), Romney is going to discover a lot about the law of unintended consequences in the coming months.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM

rplat on October 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

He had none with me to begin with. Where I come from, we call that “prescience.”

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

‘Cause he is awesomely awesome!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM
It’s his turn!!11!!!!

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM

He’s the most Conservative Liberal!

bluefox on October 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

‘Cause he is awesomely awesome!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM
It’s his turn!!11!!!!

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM

He’s the most Conservative Liberal!

bluefox on October 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

And the fat man from Jersey endorsed him!

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Amen. Northeastern RINO.

Jaibones on October 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Another narcissist hero who threatens to stay home and help re-elect the worst President in the history of the nation.
Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM

The threat isn’t as you describe. The threat is that if there is no enthusiasm for Romney among the base, and currently there really doesn’t seem to be, Romney may have difficulty generating the numbers needed to win if he sours those who bring him to the fight.

Enthusiasm begets enthusiasm(high turnout for Romney), doldrums beget doldrums(low turnout for Romney).

Romney is taking pages from McCain’s playbook, he’ll need a VP that energizes the base, there may not be a figure available that does for Romney what Palin did for McCain.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM

swamp_yankee on October 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Great so were not going to nominate a full blown RINO just a political opportunist who will go where the polls take him. You know I had my issues with George W. Bush but at least he seemed to stick with his convictions even when the polls weren’t on his side.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Just like Governor Gardasil

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Do we have a statement from Romney saying that he was wrong?

We do with Perry.

FTR: -I’m not on board with Perry, but the point is still valid.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM

See you and others thought Palin support was about the person. It was not. She was the only potential Reaganite on the field. Her declining to run didn’t raise Mitt’s cache one bit. in fact her absence from the race simply highlights how bad and unacceptable Mitt really is.unseen on October 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Sarah declined to run because, unlike you, she’s not impractical. She understood that if she won the Republican nomination but lost the election to Obama it would be an unmitigated disaster for America.

With Sarah accepting the obvious, the choice is now Romney or Obama. Only an idiot doesn’t understand the importance of that choice.

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Most would say Sen. Rubio but I’m not a big fan of him going on a national ticket this early in his career. I’m sure it would help though.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Do we have a statement from Romney saying that he was wrong?

We do with Perry.

FTR: -I’m not on board with Perry, but the point is still valid.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I don’t trust Perry. Honestly, I think he learned a thing or two from the howling over the way Romney doubled down. His supposed statement of regret does stand as a matter of record, but as a voter I am under no obligation whatsoever to believe that it’s sincere.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

LOL

Conservatives had a chance not only to defeat Romney, but also Obama, and they threw it away.

I can tell you that no one in my family/extended family is going to get off their backsides to vote Romney. Isn’t going to happen. Voting to replace one progressive with another isn’t in their plans. Won’t matter in my state however, but imagine this sentiment in all the other 56 states.

So sad.

Tharn on October 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Romney’s not a conservative, therefore I would prefer someone else to be the Republican nominee. Having said that, Romney is more conservative than Obama, so I will hold my nose and vote for Mitt in the general it comes to that. In my state (and region) that will be enough. I’m a little nervous about the rest of the country, but the president is daily making it easier and easier for any Republican to win in November, 2012.

Knott Buyinit on October 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Knott Buyinit on October 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Don’t look at it as a vote for Romney. Look at it as a vote against Obama. That will make it more palatable.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Did Pawlenty or any other politician govern a state where Democrats controlled 85% of the House and 85% of the senate and where the public supports universal health care coverage 3-1.No.
swamp_yankee on October 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

You are arguing with someone who cannot be reasoned with. terryannonline has her opinion and nothing will cause her to change it.

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I’ve read speculation that if Romney is elected, he’ll offer waivers on Obamacare to all 50 states. This is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH. It leaves the structure and the regulatory panels of this albatross in place. (For instance, the 16000 additional IRS agents/ enforcers…)

Whoever we elect has to COMMIT (as in, swear upon his very life) to rescind, invalidate, and extirpate every part of the Obamacare boondoggle. If ANY part of it remains, the next time the Progressive-Socialist-Democrats regain power in any branch of government, they’ll use that remnant as a springboard to increase the scope of governmental intrusion again.

—–

Additionally, I’d LIKE to see Congress pass a resolution that repudiates the precedent the 111th Congress set when they colluded to pass it. The resolution should (1) describe why the scope and implementation of the Obamacare legislation was unconstitutional; it should (2) emphasize that the majority party’s rush to force immediate approval of the bill –before legislators had any chance to read, understand, or debate it– was distasteful to most Americans and left many of us suspicious about why “we have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it”. The resolution also needs to (3) explain that “regulatory panels” such as found in Obamacare usurp the mandated powers of the Legislature, while also circumventing the Constitutional checks-and-balances on those powers which Framers worked so diligently to design. {And last of all, I personally think it would be entertaining if the resolution were to mention (4) the sleazy debates by the majority party over how to pass the damn bill without actually holding a recorded vote on it (ie, “Could we use reconciliation?”; “Let’s try deem and pass”; and of course the famous “Nobody goes home for Christmas until this POS is PASSED, people!”). It might be useful to show the many ways the majority party of the 111th Congress beclowned itself.

A_Nonny_Mouse on October 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Sorry I am just frustrated with our field.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

And now. . . the debate.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Sorry I am just frustrated with our field.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

That makes two of us, Terry.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM</blockquote

Maybe I'll have to have a bottle of wine with that nasty dinner.

arnold ziffel on October 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Sorry I am just frustrated with our field.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Don’t feel lonely, Kiddo! We’ll get through it.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM</blockquote

Maybe I'll have to have a bottle of wine with that nasty dinner.

arnold ziffel on October 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Gulp it down as fast as you can. That will really take the edge off the pain. :P

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Christie an establishment repub.,who knew?!

ohiobabe on October 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Christie an establishment repub.,who knew?!

ohiobabe on October 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM

These guys knew.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Like the State of Massachusetts who, well prior to Romney’s tenure as Governor, passed regs which hamstrung medical providers (insurers, hospitals and so forth)?

Then you are a notable exception! Because Romney is being blamed for what Obama did with Romney’s plan for the State of Massachusetts. And darnit if I didn’t get the impression you were among those who placed blame at his feet. Mea culpa.

Buy Danish on October 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Sorry I am just frustrated with our field.

terryannonline on October 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Amen. Me, too.

Jaibones on October 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM

i don’t think it is going to work this time. Maybe rubio. But I don’t think conservatives are going to rally behind mitt regardless of who he picks as VP.

unseen on October 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Only an idiot would think there was a choice between the two.

unseen on October 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM

As the media shouldn’t. AP, I don’t think you or your buddy Perry/Jeffress/Fischer realize what damage they’ve done to the Republican brand with their views.

Perry and his kooky pastors were always going to be a problem.

When you organize a prayer event (presidential coming out party really) with members of the New Apolostic Reformation group who say vile things and attack other people’s religion people are going to take that personal.

sheryl on October 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Pitiful my ass..Christie has the right to endorse whoever he wants to..at least he is honest

Terry on October 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM

but not all that many Perry supporters seem to give a rat’s ass.

Terrye on October 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Great minds my ass

Terrye on October 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I am not warped..I am just not a hypocrite shilling for Rick Perry and then judging other people on their conservative credentials. Maybe Levin would like to come out from behind that mike, run for office himself and
then he can run something other than his mouth

Terrye on October 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Wow Terrye, who is running whose mouth?

Susanboo on October 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Christie an establishment repub.,who knew?!

ohiobabe on October 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM

But, but, he did such a great job chewing out school teachers!

LMAO

I’m disheartened that so many Conservatives and TEA Party adherents would fall for such populist, bombastic, BS, and somehow equate the Christies, and the Walkers and the Scotts, et al and all their fist-pounding demagoguery out there with having America’s best interests at heart and being able to save our country from Socialism. These clowns can’t create job one any more than Nobama can (assuming he were even interested in doing so).

Unfortunately, the way it works is, if Capitalism continues to slide, the people will turn more towards Socialism because now you’re talking about sheer survival rather than a chance to grab the golden ring on the merry-go-round of life…in fact the merry-go-round will probably be auctioned off to pay foreign debt-holders, or to fill in budgetary gaps so legislators can afford their buds with more tax breaks…to “create jobs” of course.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM

But slobbering over Perry is just fine.
When Perry goes down, whither thou goest?

katy the mean old lady on October 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I don’t ‘slobber’ over my husband-so there’s no $%^&*()! way I’ll ever slobber over ANY politicians. Since I thought we were blog friends-I would have assume that you would have noticed that I’ve been quite critical of Perry recently.
He’s still the best of the bunch-but that ain’t saying’ much.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Whatev’s ya tired, race-baiting, calypso-singing, washed-up bitter old douche…..whatev’s.

Tim_CA on October 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Bwahahahaha!!!!

Christie is now the biggest RINO in history!

ROTFLMMFAO!!!

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM

‘Cause he is awesomely awesome!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM
It’s his turn!!11!!!!

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM

He’s the most Conservative Liberal!

bluefox on October 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

And the fat man from Jersey endorsed him!

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

..believe me, it’s not fun to watch all of you vapor lock over some Down East governor endorsing a RINO like it was the end of the world. The End of the World will be when that blue-lipped idiot stands up before that Supreme Court justice on 21 January 2013, lays his hand on the Koran, and swears himself in for another 1,460 days.

The hyperventilation over here on HA will be legion!

The War Planner on October 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM

swamp_yankee on October 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Just wait until Palin endorses him and see what happens! The few worshipers she has left will bolt for the doors, never to be seen at Hot Air again!

lol

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

She is a lunatic St Palin the Victimized worshiper. Every single one of them assumed that the rest of us who support a candidate is slobbering over them the way they slobbered over St Palin the Victimized.

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Christie shills for Romney…ap

It is what it is, an overlarded turkey!

Mr. Mitty was slippery long before, the latest caboose from NJ greased the skids! ‘Spect the whole load will slide into the drink, right along with King George’s fermenting Tea!

The rino GOP, along with FOX & Friends, is making a 3rd Party candidate look more n’ more possible every day! ‘Course, if Gov. Perry can’t carry the load either, we can always ‘Raise some Cain’ with Bosephus –just for the fun of it! After that, we may yet, get to flirt with Ms. Hillary? Do we dislike the cut of Romney’s jib that much? Afraid so.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on October 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM

The hyperventilation over here on HA will be legion!

The War Planner on October 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I think you might be taking some joking around a bit to serious. With our choices, if we can have fun what’s the sense?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Well, Mitt is at about 66% on Intrade.

And oh look Perry is 11%.

Oh how the high and mighty have fallen!

Perry can’t remember his prepared lines all the way to the end. He starts filling in by saying the word “energy” over and over again.

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM

lol

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM

When Palin endorses Romney and she will, of course, it would be career ending not to endorse him, that will be a very fun day.

Then I think Hot Air should make name changes mandatory. Then the world can start over.

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Klein is not a “great mind” you wanna be in the company with on this subject.

This post tears to tiny pieces his previous attacks on Romneycare:

Philip Klein’s false Romneycare claims echo Obama’s….

DONT FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP!

Drunk Report on October 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Bwahahahaha!!!!

Christie is now the biggest RINO in history!

ROTFLMMFAO!!!

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Don’t look at me. I was complaining about Christie’s dubious “conservatism” months ago.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

It is thrilled beyond its’ wildest imagination at this endorsement.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

It is thrilled beyond its’ wildest imagination at this endorsement.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

What I don’t get is why all the PDSers are creaming their pants at the thought of Palin endorsing Romney (presumably in the primaries). Isn’t there a chance that she could just skip a primary endorsement altogether? I have no idea what “Saint Sarah” is going to do, but all this talk of endorsements makes it sound like she necessarily has to endorse someone. I don’t see it that way at all.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Of course Christie would endorse Romney, like any establishment NJ republican would. He’s the best I could get for a governor in NJ, but he is not Presidential material and never will be.

I’m just surprised this endorsement came so soon. Why not closer to the actual primaries? Maybe Romney is worried he might lose this? Cain and Perry may come on strong?

Elisa on October 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Knott Buyinit on October 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

That summarizes how Romney hopes to win. The only way the Republican base will vote for him is if they’re left with a choice of Romney or Obama. The establishment Republicans know this, and are trying very hard to get us to the point where Romney or Obama is the only choice we have.

At that point, they figure we’ll have no choice but to vote for the guy we can barely stand, just to keep Obama from a 2nd term.

The case against voting for Romney can be stated just about as simply. If the conservative base of this country ever gets tired of being manipulated into these no-win choices, where the best you can hope for is a guy who’s nearly as socialist as the Democrat, then the only way they will have to make that point will be to let the Democrat win.

Frankly, if we get stuck with Romney, then there’s a good case to be made for voting in the most conservative Congress we can manage, and letting Obama have the White House. With a conservative Congress, he can’t do that much damage. And another Obama administration should just about kill off the Democratic party for a few years.

Why don’t we just give the Romney candidacy the death and burial it so richly deserves. Then dig up the body and burn it, just to be sure.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM

That would work for some, but the loons would out themselves immediately with their lunatic comments.

lol

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Seriously? hahaha!!!

The fun of watching St Palin the Victimized endorse Romney would be watching her worshipers go banana’s! No one needs Palin’s endorsement and as a matter of fact, they might just pass on it altogether if they deem it a net negative. With Palin comes her loons…..and who needs them?

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM

We may never know if Palin offers to endorse someone and that someone declines off the record. It doesn’t matter to me. Nor does it really matter how gobsmacked others are by Christie’s endorsement of Willard Milton. I figure that if Palin is as underwhelmed with the remaining field as most of her supporters appear to be, myself included, she doesn’t have to say dick about individual candidates. She can just keep talking about the issues like she has since the 2010 midterms. I’m okay with that.

But I need to offer the usual caveat: I have no idea what she IS going to do.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Palin is bad news.

Any candidate with a clue would have nothing to do with her. Her endorsement would bring nothing positive.

There is no big Palin wing of anything, and most people want nothing to do with her. They are very happy she is out of the picture.

Moesart on October 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Palin is bad news.

Moesart on October 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Is that why you can’t stop talking about her Moe?

gryphon202 on October 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Moesart on October 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Palin won most of the HA reader polls running away without even declaring. Same with the RedState polls. Just a slice of the primary electorate, but a very active and engaged slice. Romney couldn’t win this group no matter how hard he tried, and Perry only peaked for a minute.

The infighting on HotAir has really ramped up in the days since Palin’s announcement. Why? Because it has finally started to sink in that the current field is all we have. This 1) depresses a lot of people, even people who didn’t overtly support Palin, and 2) has resulted in a general re-alignment into Romney vs. not-Romney, now that it is clear there is no candidate coming over the hills to save us from the RINO.

Expect this to continue, and it will be ugly.

Missy on October 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Obama or Slobama?? No thanks.

Extrafishy on October 12, 2011 at 5:55 AM

I have no idea what she IS going to do.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Unlike her delayed announcement on her presidential intentions (I believe she had no idea until just before she announced she would not), I think she does have a plan for her 2012 involvement. Mostly senate, house, state, and local races.

csdeven on October 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I am going to print something here that I swore to myself I would never say:

Chris Christie is fat…In the head!!!

Mr. Grump on October 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Almost forgot. What do NJ repubs/coservatives think of their guy now???

Mr. Grump on October 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Basilsbest on October 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I agree that its important, but likely for a different reason than you do.

Its important if that’s the choice we’re given, but like “change”, in this context “important” isn’t by definition “good”.

Midas on October 12, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Drunk Report on October 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Wow, which Romney staffer wrote that piece?

LOL, what a steaming pile of BS.

Midas on October 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Although I respect Christie for facing down NJ teacher’s unions for a minor gain, he, like Romney, also subscribes to the AGW nonsense…

Says Christie: “I’m certainly not a scientist, which is the first problem. So I can’t claim to fully understand all of this, certainly not after just a few months of study. But when you have over 90 percent of the world’s scientists who have studied this stating that climate change is occurring and that humans play a contributing role, it’s time to defer to the experts.”

Then again, that was ~ 3 months before Romney changed his mind...

Maybe Christie will next be saying that Romney believing in AGW, and enforcing business destroying EPA-regulations is a decision for governing at the state level, not the federal level…

Birds of a feather…

Just don’t understand what the he’ll Coulter sees in this guy. If it is electability, then why isn’t she supporting Romney? What gripe does she have vs Perry, Cain & Newt?

Danny on October 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Christie has a track record of endorsing RINOs. Remember Castle?

I still think Jindal’s endorsement of Perry carries more weight, at least as far as conservatism is the issue.

Danny on October 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Who exactly wanted Christie to run? The intellectually challenged? People who wear safety helmets?

madmonkphotog on October 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Just don’t understand what the he’ll Coulter sees in this guy.

Don’t you get it -smart smarmy chic bored by ordinary good guys looking for lifestyle change with big blustery blowhard bully type. Power position is mandatory.

First year pschy!

Don L on October 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

With a conservative Congress, he can’t do that much damage.

I can’t agree. I think he’ll do exactly what he already floated-he’ll go around them and take their power away by fiat and ignoring any courts. They lack the courage to take him on or he would have been gone along time ago. The GOP really doesn’t mind much of what he’s doing as it gives all government more power (that’s them too) and we’ve seen that they’ll tolerate nothing but Obama-lite RINOs while half the nation will cheer for us to go socialist without a constitution.

Don L on October 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Christie jumps the shark.

Strike 1 for endorsing anyone at this stage
Strike 2 for endorsing Romney
Strike 3 for defending ObamneyCare, the lethal injection for the US economy

virgo on October 13, 2011 at 3:43 AM

gryphon202 on October 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Now wait a second. I thought people here are only allowed to say that about a certain other candidate… You mean Perry with his molasses drawl is as slippery as a used car salesman trying to pawn off a lemon?

Surely you have to believe everyone here when they say Perry is as pure as the wind driven snow on the Texas panhandle… don’t you?

scotash on October 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM