Breaking: Christie to endorse Romney today

posted at 1:45 pm on October 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The only thing surprising about this is the timing:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, just one week after definitively announcing he will not run for president in the 2012 race, plans to endorse Mitt Romney for the job Tuesday afternoon, Fox News has learned.

The event is set to take place in Hanover, N.H., the site of the Republican presidential debate being held Tuesday night. The endorsement will be made in advance of the debate.

Marking a fast turnaround for Romney, the endorsement comes one week to the day since Christie called a press conference in Trenton to end once and for all the speculation that he would make a late entrance into the race.

Well, who else would Christie endorse in this race?  Politically he and Romney are quite similar — northeastern Republican governors in substantially blue states, with questionable adherence to conservative orthodoxies.  Had Christie gotten into the race, he would have competed for the moderates that Romney attracts now, not  conservatives who might prefer Herman Cain or even Rick Perry.  Christie’s endorsement was inevitable.

But why the rush?  Just a  few days ago, Christie seemed unconvinced enough to be willing to jump into the race himself — even though Romney’s been running since, oh, 2008 or so.  Maybe the process of considering a run just super-convinced Christie that Romney was the only candidate for this cycle.  Christie could also have kept himself relevant in the process by holding off on an endorsement until just before the primaries, and that would also have given the Romney campaign one last boost just as Iowans went to the caucuses or when Santa started dropping down chimneys, whichever comes first.

The obvious conclusion is that Romney’s worried about an inability to move upward and the continued rise and fall of the Not-Romneys in the race.  Be sure to read Allahpundit’s observation last night on the GOP’s track record in presidential elections when no one candidate has emerged by this stage for an explanation for why Romney might want to put this one away now.  By getting ahead of the news cycle with a big endorsement just before tonight’s debate, it could also relieve pressure on Romney to make news by attacking Herman Cain — or possibly hint that Romney wants a knockout punch badly enough to risk engaging the conservative base’s favorite of the moment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t listen to Rush. He is delusional. He needs to untie the other half of his brain. The part he is using is malfunctioning.

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Yeah. He doesn’t know anything. He’s only listened to by 20 – 30 million Americans every day.///

kingsjester on October 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Rino meet Rino.
Dont like christies stance on Guns. Thank God he didn’t run.
Anyone know Mr. Cains stance on the second ammendment?

ColdWarrior57 on October 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM

The only one who comes across as mentally unhinged is you.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Because you are buying into the right wing media myths.

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Answer the question:

Why is RomneyInc pushing for earlier primaries, if he is so safe?

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Because everything hinges on one debate? Were you here in 2008? This isn’t going to get any prettier.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM

petunia on October 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Too funny.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

The only one who comes across as mentally unhinged is you.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

… says the Romneybot in full denial of reality.

There’s no question of Romney’s history, yet you morons willfully ignore it, say it doesn’t matter, he won’t do that at the federal level, etc.

Serioulsy – you don’t realize that all of today’s disillusioned Obama voters just can’t believe what they see – even though it was well in evidence well before the election.

That’s you, pal. That’s you. Right in front of your face, and you can’t/won’t see it.

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Nah. He’ll focus on Perry (as will Cain, Gingrich and Bachmann). Any criticism of Cain will be very mild and fair (lack of foreign policy or government experience).

Buy Danish on October 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM

My only point is, this is an unusual primary that has polls swinging wildly after each debate. Perry lost his mojo in the last debate, Cain surged as a consequence of that, but if Perry has a great night tonight, I just see it swinging back. People are going back and forth and all around just trying to find a place to land right now.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

These are the times that try conservatives’ souls: We need to band together and not be influenced by the Republican Establishment effort to cram Romney down our throats. This is making me angry rather than simply sick to my stomach.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Wow, that’s great. Fatty endorsing Flaky! If it hadn’t been for the crushing teacher’s union pay/benefit shortfall Christie wouldn’t even be known. That’s all he’s done! He is anti 2nd amendment, pro abortion, pro high taxes, pro AGW (Global warming man made), anti big business, pro illegal immigration and pro Muslim in any public office including judgeship’s. And where do we start with Mr. Flaky? He’s a business man who lives and breathes on Wall Street. Most of his business friends are there and that’s where he made most of his money. Do you really think he is going to go after the AIG’s and the Goldman Sach’s? No! If they need a new bailout he will give it to them and we will pay for it. He is Obama lite.

inspectorudy on October 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Your arguments are pure intellectual laziness, hence the name calling. Who are you for Midas? Perry, with his weak stance on immigration, emminent domain and mandates? Newt, who bashed the Ryan plan? Who are you for? Whose perfect in this field? I would love to know, because let me tell you what I see. I see imperfect candidates in the entire field, there is not one perfect conservative there, not one. Tell me what blue states Perry picks off, tell me how he consolidates the West. I would love to know. Educate me. Because I see only one person who can string two sentences together, one person with the organization, money and independent appeal and thats Romney. Thats the cold hard truth, he is winning because these candidates are losing. If Perry can show me he isnt over his head and can win more then the South then I will be right on board. But I dont see it, he hasnt shown it, none of the other candidates have shown they can take or throw a punch. Im a small business owner Midas, I dont have the luxury of waiting another four years for the perfect candidate while my taxes skyrocket. So Im gong ot pick the guy I think has a shot, whether you think its dumb or not.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM

After McCain, and now after Obama, to think there is ONE person left who would even entertain the preposterousness of a “Mitt Romney” defies imagination. But this is surreal time we’re living in.

rrpjr on October 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Christie says he is endorsing Mitt because he is an executive who will “use executive power to make Americans’ lives better”.

Yup. Big government.

Mitt will grow the pie according to Chris.

I think I trust Herman Cain to grow the pie a little bit more than NitMitt.

Greyledge Gal on October 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I just don’t care about endorsements. Or maybe I am just jealous because no one ever endorses me. Either way, doesn’t change my vote.

XWing5 on October 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Conservatives unite? You’re kidding right?

HondaV65 on October 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

There will be a bit of a swing but once bitten, twice shy. There were a lot of candidates in 2008 also, remember that Sen. McCain almost dropped out. The only thing I can guarantee is that the number of people cable of being thrilled about any particular candidate is probably their current die hard supporters.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Your remark about disillusioned Obama voters made me think of something…

Right now there is certainly a big chunk of people disillusioned with Obama, for various reasons. Maybe it’s the push for Obamacare, maybe it’s the aggressively statist tendencies, whatever. My question is, what about Romney is going to turn those voters on to him?

I wonder about the disillusioned getting so disgusted with a choice between Obama and Obama Lite that they’ll just stay home. Then it becomes a base v. base election and that’s a contest Romney will lose.

JohnTant on October 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Unite around who?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Christie’s endorement says a lot more about Christie than in does about Romney.

TomLawler on October 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I agree with that, I think the possibility of being thrilled by the candidates have passed, but I think there is a great deal of good will for Perry, so I think if he has a good night hes back in it.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I think I trust Herman Cain to grow the pie a little bit more than NitMitt.

Greyledge Gal on October 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Well – you and others will be singing a different tune once Romney has locked up the nomination – which should be in a few months.

Cain has NO money – and cannot compete. He knows he can’t compete and that’s why he’s going around saying he’d happily be Mitt Romney’s VP nominee.

Cain was never in this to win it. Never thought he could win it. Feel free to put your eggs in his basket – but at the end of the day you’ll be disappointed by him in the same way the Palinistas were disappointed by Palin. Cain is all show … no go.

Why do you think Romney is telling everyone to vote for either him or Herman Cain? LOL – it’s because Romney wants the deck cleared to make this a race between he and Cain – because he can EASILY defeat Cain.

So stop slamming on Romney – he’ll be your candidate here in a few months once all the Conservatives drop out and the Cain engine runs out of steam.

HondaV65 on October 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I have my fingers crossed, I thought he was my guy. It will probably take more than one good performance and for that he has no one to blame but himself.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Im a Romney person but I would like Perry to have a good debate also.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM

WooWhooo…Once again the northeast/east coast cocktail circuit will pick our nominee and not one thing in DC will change. Why do we even bother with elections any more?

A. Weasel on October 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM

who’s surprised?

not I.

ted c on October 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Me either ted. One good thing about it though….that’s the last we’ll here of “Chrisitie for President”.

tencole on October 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Christie’s endorement says a lot more about Christie than in does about Romney.

TomLawler on October 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Thread winner!

tencole on October 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Hey I got an idea! Lets vote for Al Gore’s campaign chairman and claim the rest of the field are RINO’s. Genius!

Perry people are a joke.

hanzblinx on October 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I’m not a big Rush listener, but happened to tune in today around 2:45 Eastern time. He had a female caller who so eloquently laid out the anti-Romney case. Anyone catch it? She was not hysterical or “true conservative-ish,” but she just said what so many are thinking: Romney has been so very liberal on the most important questions of our time. If he is the candidate, conservatives will stay home and Obama will be re-elected. It’ll be McCain all over again. She left Rush just speechless — he truly could not muster a defense of Romney in any way at all except to say “Obama must be defeated,” and then she said, “And what will we have instead with Romney? In what ways will he be different than Obama?” Rush just sputtered, said something about “No one is like Obama, blah, blah, blah.” He had no answer at all. You don’t hear Rush speechless very often, but it was so depressing. He knew she was right. He knew that if (when?) Romney gets the nomination, it means Obama wins four more years.

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Romney was pivotal in Christie winning his primaries. New Jersey would have a Democrat governor right now without Romney. Of course Christie was going to endorse him. It was obvious he was not going to run either due to this fact. I don’t know why Ann Coulter couldn’t figure this out.

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’ll ask it here to give the Romney supporters another crack at it.

1. Why won’t or when will Romney release the correspondence between his administration and the MA State Legislature regarding Romneycare?

2. Did Romney ever criticize Mass-Care’s mission “to establish a single payer health care system”? –Or if you prefer– Did Romney ever criticize the concept of single payer during the debate/discussion/enactment of Romneycare?

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Hey, remember to swing back by in a couple of years and tell us how your small business is doing under your choice of Obama-lite – you know, when Obamacare really kicks in (having been tweaked but not repealed cause, you know, it’s good for you!), when oil prices continue to go up (because we can’t have domestic exploration/drilling because of man-made global warming, right?), when your taxes go higher and you’re required to start buying carbon credits on the nationalized exchange (hey, make sure you buy them from Al Gore’s company, okay?)…

Can’t wait to hear how your ‘smart’ choice is going to work out for you! *two cheery thumbs way up*

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Why is RomneyInc pushing for earlier primaries, if he is so safe?

portlandon on October 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Cuz we need a year to realize that electing Romney is exactly the same as re-electing Obama. And we need to get comfortable with that fact.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM

There was a point in time where Gore was considered a conservative democrat. Don’t forget that.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I heard her. She made very rational points.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Let’s be honest. The biggest problem that Romney faces is Romneycare. If he does get the nomination and eventualy the office he will have a hard time repealing Obamacare under the premis of “if it’s good enough for Mass why not the country”? I’m not a Romney fan. As of right now I’m not sure who I will throw my support behind but I can tell you this, I won’t support any candidate just because Chris Christie or Sarah Palin say they support them. I prefer to make my own decisions.

milwife88 on October 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Midas on October 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Romney is a firm supporter of drilling and clean coal. There is no point in debating you frankly, you deliberately misstate Romneys positions to fit your view point. Condescension in your comment noted and dismissed.

nswider on October 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

If Romney wasn’t the guy in 2008 why is he today?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

If Romney wasn’t the guy in 2008 why is he today?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

NEXT!!!!

No Kidding, that’s why.

It is what it is and that’s all that it is.

A. Weasel on October 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Obviously, this is a big headline. Nonetheless, Christie’s endorsement doesn’t change the underlying facts. Mitt Romney isn’t committed to fighting for conservative principles. Mitt’s committed to Mitt.

Bottom line: Mitt hasn’t earned our trust because Mitt’s flip-flopped on all of the major issues. Why start trusting him now?

LFRGary on October 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

If Romney wasn’t the guy in 2008 why is he today?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Because McCain’s not running this time around.

Last time each of the top-tier candidates: John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson, was a plausible President.

In the current field, Herman Cain seems blissfully ignorant of all things related to foreign policy or how government works.
Rick Perry doesn’t seem to know much about what’s going on outside of Texas.
John Huntsman got zero percent in a recent poll.
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum ended their legislative careers with spectacular failures.
Michelle Bachmann suggested that medication given to middle-school children could make them mentally retarded.
Ron Paul is Ron Paul.

In this crowd, Romney’s looking pretty good.

Mister Mets on October 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Alright, could some one tell me if 40% of voters are conservatives why the hell can’t we nominate a conservative? Just how many people who identify themselves as conservatives are demonrats? Thanks.

tim c on October 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Never have sat out an election since I was able to vote, but I just cannot pull the lever for him. I’ll write in Reagan or something.

BakerAllie on October 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Michael Reagan is right. I am 100% certain YOU would NOT have supported Ronald Reagan in the primaries. He signed a pro-abortion law in California as governor, he was a former Democrat, (both apparently mean he was a flip-flopper) later as president he gave amnesty to illegal aliens, created a healthcare mandate against hospitals, appointed two squishy semi conservative Supreme Court Justices, and retreated from Lebanon. There is NO WAY you would have supported Reagan. Yet despite all of this, you (we) still call Reagan our greatest modern President. Also you claim to support “even” Trump which means you don’t know what you’re talking about. Trump is incredibly liberal, you just haven’t bothered to vet him because of his Obama blowout.

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Mister Mets on October 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM

No one looks good in that crowd.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

No one looks good in that crowd.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Preach, sister, preach.

kingsjester on October 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM

All hypotheticals and the dreaded strawman unless Pres. Reagan was here to speak to the current issues.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

At this time in the 2008 cycle we were looking at Rudy, Fred, and Romney as front runners. And isn’t that interesting? Rudy is kinda like Perry — affable by bumbling. Fred is kinda like Cain — says the right things but can’t seem to convince enough folks that he’s in it for real. And Romney? Well, he was Romney last time, too, and he was rejected. So who pulls ahead from today’s pack and becomes the McCain of 2012? Newt?

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Too bad 1/2 of your post is garbage, it could have been a good one.

right2bright on October 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Romeny only looks good if the backdrop is the bar scene in Star Wars. Fatass Christie’s endorsement is about as relevant as a fart in a hurricane.

David in ATL on October 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Don’t compare this current crop to Reagan anymore, y’all. I voted for President Reagan. Ain’t none of them him.

kingsjester on October 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM

In this crowd, Romney’s looking pretty good.

Mister Mets on October 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Romney 2012: The tallest midget!

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Here’s your grim reality. Romney, effectively, wins the GOP nomination by February. We have 9 months of him getting his head beat in over his constant flip flopping and Rombamacare and then he loses. Cuz people will see him as untrustworthy and he’s simply Obama with an R after his name.

That’s your 2012 future.

I’m not sure why the Romney supporters here deny this will happen. And I’m not sure why they want it to happen.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

A Romney administration is not the same as four more years for Obama, because no GOPer will be as wilfully destructive as Obama would be in a second term. In that sense Rush is right.

But a Romney victory will mean that the vast majority of the damage Obama did in his first term will not be remedied/rolled back/repealed. Romney doesn’t have the desire or the guts to do it. He is a tinkerer around the edges, at best.

So if the Dems have to lose the WH, Romney is their very best option for keeping the Obama “achievements” in place.

Missy on October 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It took Reagan multiple runs at it to convince the Republican electorate to back it. Coffee Cup and other devices were used over an over again to deliver his thoughts and his explanations.

Reagan ran in 1967-68 and was found wanting, he did the work and ran again (76), and again (80) before he got the brass ring.

Romney hasn’t done near the amount of work to explain his position, his inconsistency or give people the reasons they need to trust his positions now, versus his positions then, that Reagan did.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Why should they be less deluded than the supporters of Palin?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

To hear people say TRUMP is more conservative than Romney or Christie is proof of your insanity. Trump has never run anything successfully- ask the thousands of shareholders who have been swindled by his multiple bankruptcies. He’s a slut, and a loudmouth. He can’t govern his “empire” let alone government. Yet you Bakerallie, say in all seriousness you’d hand the election to obama- you are a nut.

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

There’s a point, I guess.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM

They will have to go some for the over 500 comment threads but ultimately I believe they will take criticism equally as well as Palin fans.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I think I need a new mouse everything is double clicking.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Go Obama!

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

..oh, please.

The War Planner on October 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM

The way I see it is that we need to elect as many fiscally conservative candidates as possible in 2012 so we can hold Mittens paws to the fire. No doubt Mittens dosen’t want to become a LAME DUCK PRESIDENT like Obama and will definitely want a 2nd term. So in 2014 we need to do the same thing again to make sure there is conservative leverage over everything Mittens thinks of doing.

Bob in VA on October 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I’ll ask it here to give the Romney supporters another crack at it.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’ve seen you ask this several times. My answer is the same answer that Vice President Dick Cheney gave Democrats asking to see his private discussions regarding the energy plan talks with corporations.

You’re not getting them. Private means private. People cannot give frank advice without confidentiality. This same discussion was given in regards to subpoenaing National Security adviser private advice etc. You’re not going to get it.

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM

for all you romney haters- I’ll give $100 to the charity of your choice if you can name 1 president that (unlike Rommney)
1) Never changed positions on anything
2) Got elected
Name one.

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Actually, I didn’t really say it in ALL seriousness, but I think calling Trump a slut and a loudmouth with Newt still in the race is pretty damn funny.

Look, I’m all about voting lesser of two evils, I voted for McCain after all. The fact that the GOP may give us Romney now after McCain’s spectacular failure is pretty much the final slap in the face I needed to stay home. Anyone who thinks Mitt can beat Obama is deluding themselves. A good chunk of the base will stay home, and Obama has his nice fatcat-Wallstreet-caricature of an opponent ready to go.

BakerAllie on October 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM

This looks less like a thread than an Occupy Wall Street mob- you all dont like what we have but arent rally sure what you want, and what you want damn sure wont work in reality

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM

BakerAllie- I say this with all sincerity- I think Romney is going to be a better president than Reagan.

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Unite around who?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I wish I had the answer. My point, not well made, is that we need to defeat the Republican Establishment’s serious effort to get this over with quickly. I don’t know what conservative will emerge, but if Romney is quickly crammed down our throats there will be no chance for the voters to warm up to someone else.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Rational Thought on October 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I heard it and I agree with you completely. She was magnificent, and I could have listened to her for a lot longer. She is real American, a real conservative, extremely knowledgeable, articulate, and concerned for her country and where this Republican nomination process is going. I hope she gets some significant recognition and additional opportunities to be heard.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I completely disagree, but I get it. Policy issues aside, I think Romney has far less of an appealing personality compared to Reagan and thus much less of a chance of getting elected. A lot of voters are shallow like that, but they have a big influence. That’s partly how Obama got here in the first place.

I don’t mind you calling me a nut, I have a 5-week old so it’s just nice to talk with someone who doesn’t spit up or pee on me for a change. ;)

BakerAllie on October 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I agree but I have no idea how to make the Party stop these date changes. It’s crazy.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM

BakerAllie on October 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Congratulations!!!! Every phase is over in a flash!

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM

scotash on October 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Executive administration correspondence to legislators on health care legislation is not private correspondence.

Claiming a parallel to national security issues is quite absurd, we can hash that out logically if you’d like.

Likewise, Cheney’s discussions on energy policy were with private individuals in private industry and privacy on the meetings was invoked before the fact, not after.

The “you’re not getting them” defense only sets the mind of those asking the questions against the candidate.

I’ll also remind again that correspondence is a two way street, they have copies too and the left threatened to use the correspondence against him back in 07 if Romney became the nominee.

I would suggest that moves like the one today by the Democrats is a way of telegraphing that they are going to use Romney’s administration against him should he be the nominee.

If we are going to objectively and honestly vet our nominee we should be the ones to hash all that out, not the Dems and the Mass Media for us after it is too late.

Of course if our various goals is to hide information about our candidates from our fellow Republican travelers, then that’s a different ball game, a very dishonest one at that.

Jason Coleman on October 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

BakerAllie- that can be arrainged. hah. Really- give Romney a listen. Don’t listen to the haters- soundbites dont reveal the picture. Look at what Romneys accomplished in his life. He has been successful in his personal, business and political life. Is he as conservative as I’d like? No. But he can get the big stuff done. Reagan made mistakes too. He failed at his 1st, and 2nd run at the big chair. But a great man

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I think the economy makes a big come back under Romney. Unfortunately, we get the status quo regarding statism and the conservative movement is basically dead in the water. However, if Congress makes a nice swing ideologically further to the right and becomes more agressive, Romney might end up being a decent choice.

rickyricardo on October 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM

That’s your 2012 future.

lorien1973 on October 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Or, we could just realize that beating Romney up over that one issue is not the be-all end-all and rally around him, if he’s the nominee. To independents, the “flip flopping” will mean he’s pragmatic and willing to compromise. Why don’t you want that to happen?

Right now I’d rally around a PB & J sandwich if it was up against Barack Obama.

evergreen on October 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Allah, you dirty 8astard! You’re supposed to be a Romney shill don’t cha know?

lol

csdeven on October 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Bu…bu…but it’s Romney’s TURN!

Mr. Grump on October 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM