Friday fun. Reason.tv visits Occupy Wall Street

posted at 12:45 pm on October 7, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The folks at Reason.tv, ever watchful for important, breaking news, headed down to Manhattan to get a first hand look at the protesters who are currently Occupying Wall Street. (Or at least a park in the vicinity of Wall Street. Or something.)

The crowd was relatively small at about 300, and included educated but unemployed workers, college students and recent graduates, homeless drifters, performance artists, 9/11 truthers, and a not-insignificant number of journalists.

The “leaderless” movement is made up of more than a dozen smaller groups, such as the “Information” group with Macbooks hooked up to generators who maintain the “OccupyWallStreet” Twitter feeds and liveblogs, a “People’s Library” consisting mostly of donated leftist literature, and a well-stocked kitchen where organic vegetables are sliced for communal salads.

Student loan debt, campaign finance reform, and general anger with the sluggish economy were the more frequent grievances aired, but the demonstrators are hardly monolithic in their passions or opinions. Among the boilerplate anti-capitalist rhetoric included a lifelong Democrat professing his support for Mitt Romney, an unemployed aviation mechanic declaring his continued support of capitalism and disgust at corporate welfare, and a homeless man expressing skepticism that any of the protestors would remain in the park if just “one bad wind” rolled through the area.

The resulting video is a treat for all concerned and provides an insightful look into the very real and important message the protesters are bringing to light, as well as their concise, yet reasonable demands for change which will surely…

OK. I’m just kidding. It’s all fairly incoherent, but a fine way to spend six minutes of your Friday afternoon. Before we get to the video, though, I just have one question… What the heck is this dude doing?

Occupy Wall Street Protester

He appears to have taken time out of his busy day to craft a fake Fox News Channel camera out of a cardboard box and some magic markers. Yet during the entire time he’s being interviewed, he gives no explanation whatsoever about why he’s carrying this particular totem around with him. There’s also someone calling for a return to a barter system economy, as well as some supporters of both Ron Paul and Mitt Romney! (Though apparently they’re not quite supportive enough to not vote for Obama next year because.. you know.. you just have to.)

I give up. Let’s just go to the video.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What the heck is this dude doing?

I’m guessing it is a Cargo Cult manifestation. By holding the fake camera, he hopes to be instilled with the spirit of fake but accurate news like Saint Dan Rather.

Vashta.Nerada on October 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Check out this other video the tool with the hat that interrupts the kid at 2:00.

This is the face of these morons.

jawkneemusic on October 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Good Lord! That was everything I thought it would be.Nonsensical…

sandee on October 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I abhor hippies…

Corky on October 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Making all College education free….

Hmmm, I wonder how all those Marxist professors would take to not getting paid?

dirtseller on October 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I want to punch anybody who wears a Che t-shirt.

mankai on October 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Let’s hear it for our school system!

50sGuy on October 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

uhhhmmmm the internet.

lakeman on October 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Nuke em from orbit. Only way to be sure.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Only in America.

Vince on October 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

The fake Fox News guy looks like Charles Johnson!

Blake on October 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

There’s no media bias when this group of morons gets more press coverage than the tea party ever did. None at all.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Oooooooook then. So they support Romney, but will vote for Obama.

Was there a massive break out of mentalpatients in mental institutions that we haven’t been told about?

capejasmine on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

You’re just saying this because HA is funded by the corporations!

mankai on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

They have no clue.

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Sorry, this is a better link.

jawkneemusic on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

To the Ron Paul supporter in the video:

You made some great points, and were a sole bright spot in what was an otherwise cluless mass of humanity.

Now, get the hell off of Wall Street, and go out and canvass your precinct!

JohnGalt23 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

They make a lot of sense to me.

/put down joint

mankai on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Monetary system -is- the barter system. You just don’t have to haul around 500 pigs everywhere to buy something.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

LOL!

sandee on October 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM

This is the face of these morons.

jawkneemusic on October 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM

yeah, i saaw that dude in another video over at Ace or here, or gateway pundit i can’t remember. unhinged.

ted c on October 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM

No surprises in that video. People with chips on their shoulder – basically social and economic losers – expounding on issues they actually don’t know much about and promoting the idea that their lack of success in life is not their fault, but the fault of “the system.”

Ergo, it is not a movement at all. It is just the age-old foibles of human nature.

keep the change on October 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The only person that made sense in that whole video was the homeless guy.

dirtseller on October 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I’m ok with the barter economy.

What’s that, punk, your scooter died? Gee that’s too bad. Tell you what, I’ll fix it as soon as you get me a bucketful of mangoes. Noooo I don’t know where the hell you will find mangoes in Minnesota, so unless you want to walk everywhere, you better start figuring it out.

Bishop on October 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM

mankai on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

LOL!

I put down my highlighter pen. *looks down in shame*

capejasmine on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

The stench of dirty underwear is emanating from my monitor.

Mark1971 on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Is it against the law to barter? If so I am in deep dodo. I barter my time and resources all the time! It probably is, if you do not barter with money it is very hard to Tax!

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Remeber when Rick Perry said the thing about the Fed chief’s actions on monetary policy before an election would be “borderline treasonous”? That was appalling, or so I was told.

But the brave occupiers of Wall Street can walk around with poster boards saying Osama ben Bernanke and that’s an important message?

myrenovations on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Guy at 5:15 gets it.

“It’s not gon’ do shiiiiiiiit. … Let one bad wind come through..”

Haha.

nickj116 on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

so what’s new about this? Not a thing. Theses are the same dregs that break windows at G20 summits. Rock chuckers, firestarters, malcontents, and ne’er do wells.

ted c on October 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The paulbots fit right into the other groups attending this excersise in democracy. Far out and heavey maaan. Do ya got a doobie?

chicken thief on October 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I’m ok with the barter economy.

Bishop on October 7, 2011 at 1:03 P

LOL!

50sGuy on October 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Ahem, well, how you doin’?

Vince on October 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

These smelly hippies need a shower and a job.

simkeith on October 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’m not really a fan of these videos where they pick out the biggest kooks/loudmouths from an open, public free-for-all protest and frame them as representatives at large. I don’t like it when the Left does it to Tea Party gatherings, and I don’t like it when the Right does it either.

That being said, it always cracks me up when Leftists say that corporations “are not people.” As if they are self-aware Borgs or something. A corporation, by definition, is a group of people. Point blank: these Leftists just want to silence whole groups of people that they do not like. That should be troubling for any citizen that values free speech, actual debate, and free elections.

visions on October 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I wonder how many faces we could match up comparing these videos and WI videos?

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Maybe when they leave they’ll take all of New Yorks bedbugs with them. I’m sure bedbugs love draining hippie communists of their drug laced blood.

darwin on October 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I love the black guy with the Che t-shirt.

“The blacks, those magnificent examples of the African race who have conserved their racial purity by a lack of affinity with washing, have seen their patch invaded by a different kind of slave: The Portugese…. the black is indolent and fanciful, he spends his money on frivolity and drink; the European comes from a tradition of working and saving which follows him to this corner of America and drives him to get ahead.” -Che Guevera

RadClown on October 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I am presuming they went to public school….and found it too difficult.

pat on October 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think they interviewed all 300 people there and used the ones that could be understood, almost.

Vince on October 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Hey, that was the Jew hating “lotion man” pulling rank on the lesser informed guy. Good to see he is still unemployed. Revives my faith in the economic system.

AndrewsDad on October 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I think I’ve figured out the common denominator across their demands. They want a paycheck but not a job.

tommyboy on October 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

There’s also someone calling for a return to a barter system economy

Teehee… Liberals are just plain crazy…

jeffn21 on October 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Ahem, well, how you doin’?

Vince on October 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Have not been arrested yet, I am small potatoes they haven’t noticed me yet. Barter with family, friends neighbors, never thought about it being against the law O_o

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The plumber’s helper is the same guy who kept calling out the “joooooo man” in another video.

He’s a little drama queen.

ButterflyDragon on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The brother toward the end summed this thing up better than anyone I’ve heard thus far.

29Victor on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Just one more example of the 70s being back in style…

/gag

Ace ODale on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

What do we want? WE DON’T KNOW! How will we get it? WE DON’T KNOW! When do we want what we don’t know? NOW!?

I’m looking forward to seeing these protesters continue their “occupation” through January and February.

GarandFan on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

dirtseller on October 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I am all for abolishing pay for teachers. Instead of a job, make it community service. And they get foodstamps in return.

darwin on October 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Bed Bugs are feelin GOOOOOD.

antisocial on October 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

That’s because the TEA Party was astroturf and deserving of ignoring.

These SEIU and Big Labor supported groups, on the other hand, are the real deal hence the coverage.

Duh.

catmman on October 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

It’s not against the law but you are supposed to *wink*wink* report it as income/expenses. You can barter all you want though. No one stops anyone from doing it.

I’m about to mail a pig to AT&T to pay my cell phone bill.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Exactly. How people cannot grasp the most basic fundamentals of our economy is beyond me.

ButterflyDragon on October 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM

A Paulbot!!!!

faraway on October 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM

New place for the homeless to sleep at night, I bet the homeless want them to stay. No harassment while sleeping!

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM

And yet the Tea Party is the problem…sheesh!

SPGuy on October 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM

From the Tucson Tea Party via Instapundit:

INC on October 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

If you lose you lose, nobody is going to bail me out.

He doesnt really fit in with the rest of crowd.

Koa on October 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

My guess is that the heavy rains in the Northeast flooded a lot of basements and since these guys were flushed out, they had nowhere to go. So they started a demonstration.

Seriously (maybe), near as I can tell, it’s a grab bag of the usual suspects:
- Marxists, organized or just mentally ill
- Anarchists, never organized
- Union organizers trying to organize the anarchists
- Truthers, from an alternate reality
- Paul supporters, from the other alternate reality
- Party animals, escaped from a zoo
- Exhibitionists performing for the national media
- Malcontents seeking validation
- Bernie Madoff victims
- Goldman Sachs employees without White House jobs
- White House operatives paying the bills
- Mentally ill (but I repeat myself)

NNtrancer on October 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I am all for making college free. I don’t think most professors deserve to get paid either.

What??? That is not what they mean?

AndrewsDad on October 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I’m about to mail a pig to AT&T to pay my cell phone bill.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

spew alert!!! too funny!

IowaWoman on October 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM

This is all that’s left of Obama’s 52%ers!!!!

faraway on October 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I’m about to mail a pig to AT&T to pay my cell phone bill.

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

GD post office wants me to pay 47 bananas to get the pig to AT&T. I ran out of bananas yesterday. What’s the current exchange rate for oranges to bananas?

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

“Nime a nee-vee hnamera-man thner Thnox-thews!”

Oh Lord I’m sorry, I’m a bad person.

slickwillie2001 on October 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Ah, the star of the whole protest at 2:10ish , showing the newb who his daddy is!

LMAO!

MNHawk on October 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

There’s also someone calling for a return to a barter system economy

That’s rich.

These hipster, hippie d-bags are demanding a “living wage” regardless of whether they have a job or not but they’re all fired up about a barter economy? Do any of them realize how much work they would have to do – every day – just to keep themselves fed under such a system? Of course they don’t.

But it sounds good in Unicorn Land.

Cognitive dissonance we much.

catmman on October 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

There is Goodwin’s law and there there is the liberal law.

The law states that if you debate a liberal long enough, Fox News will be mentioned. That’s when the conversation is over. (Bush, Cheney, Haliburton, Steel melting at X degrees also qualify)

angryed on October 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I still love the fact that the anti-corporate, anti-billionaire protests use Twitter and Facebook on iPhones to organize the protests and with each tweet/post the billionaires who created/run Twitter, Facebook and Apple get that much richer.

angryed on October 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

There’s also someone calling for a return to a barter system economy

Sue Lowden?

steebo77 on October 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Just “Wow”.

EA_MAN on October 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM

a lifelong Democrat professing his support for Mitt Romney

Well duh; why vote for Romney when you can vote for the real thing?

Midas on October 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

The fake Fox News guy looks like Charles Johnson!

Blake on October 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

That’s a long way to ride his bike, LoL.

Eren on October 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

……………old hippies for Romney? What the hell did I just watch?

I’m so confused.

Bee on October 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Hey, I want to haul around 500 pigs. Just think of the aroma and floor mines I would leave at Forever 21 after I take my daughter shopping. Parents around the world appreciate me because their daughters would not want to shop there anymore.

PrettyD_Vicious on October 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I say offer the homeless man food, clothing, hot chow, and a hot shower for telling it like it is.

Christien on October 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Most interesting and possibly the most intelligent guy being interviewed: that homeless guy who is just there because it’s a spot for him to sleep without being arrested.

strictnein on October 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You guys talking about paying with hogs are ridiculous–everybody knows it’s easier to pay with bacon.

Will Barter For Bacon

Christien on October 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM

The homeless guy was spot on. The first really cold night and that park is effing empty.

thphilli on October 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Making all College education free….

Hmmm, I wonder how all those Marxist professors would take to not getting paid?

dirtseller on October 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

She stated paying for college through taxes. What she doesn’t understand is instead of paying one’s student loan and eventually paying it off, One’s student loan would never be paid off and in fact, the student loan would get larger and larger and her children would then have to take over payments.

PrettyD_Vicious on October 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM

“Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself. It is not someone’s fault if they succeeded, it is someone’s fault if they failed,”

From the next President of the United States, Herman Cain.

In other words…

Get a job you filthy hippies…

Wolftech on October 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Stunning video.

I get it now.

When the Dems have control of White House and/or Congress it’s not their fault – it’s the evil bankers and such.

When the GOP is in control, it is the GOP’s fault.

reaganaut on October 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

As for student loan debt… when I enlisted 20 years ago, I had an option of a cash enlistment bonus or repayment of federal student loans (up to an amount actually greater than the amount of the cash bonus).

I assume that is still the case.

There are plenty of non-combat jobs available in all branches.

Go for it!

Also, you can defer your student loans while on active duty.

What a great way to serve your country, save your money while you serve, and even if you didn’t have your loans paid off, you will have a nice head start if you decide to leave after 3 years.

Also, for the many members of the Nevertouchaboobie Tribe present at thee protests, the opportunity for romance is present at many military bases. Outside Ft. Lewis or Ft. Campbell there is a neverending supply of young women who actually take classes on how to hook up with a GI and get pregnant.

reaganaut on October 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM

They usually say that just before declaring certain corporations “greedy” and demanding we tax them more.

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Per D. Halloran (R?) from queens:

“..it is despicable for an entity to take money form the citizens money for a private use..”

Hmmmmmmm. Solyndra? LightSquared? The other benefactors of the DOE giveaway? Also, doncha just love the zombied-out guy in the foreground staring at Halloran as he’s giving the speech? Musta scored some good sh*t, man!

“No rain! No rain!”

The War Planner on October 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Speaking of the Tool with the Hat.

Professional street person. He’s moved from Union Sq Park to Z park down town.

Wander on October 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Dunno. My bank’s ATMs are all jammed up because some guy tried to deposit a tanker full of molasses.

pedestrian on October 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM

The homeless man near the end was my favorite.

ookete on October 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Oh good Lord.

These are the people that decided the 2008 election. Never again.

Key West Reader on October 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

This is the Democrat/Liberal version of the Tea Party… according to what many prominent and influential Leftists are saying.

These are President Barack Hussein Obama’s ‘foot-soldiers’ promised him by Jimmy Hoffa Jr… according to the same prominent and influential Leftists.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

It certainly stands to reason that many, if not most, of President Barack Hussein Obama’s foot-soldiers are the dregs of society whose mantra is ‘Destroy Everything and Rebuild Utopia’ and ‘Construction Through Destruction’. They couldn’t have picked a better time for this utter stupidity either. When the bitter cold and brutal snows hit, which will start very soon, I wonder how many will stay and freeze to death so they can be self sacrificed martyred foot-soldiers for President Barack Hussein Obama.

Trashcan Man: Thumpity-thump! My life for him. Yes! My life for him! Bump-dee-bump! My life for youuu! -Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’

FlatFoot on October 7, 2011 at 2:37 PM

An awful lot of the New Castratii in that crowd.

Must be there to get laid. Aren’t these protests usually about getting chicks?

theotherone on October 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

This video explains very well how ridiculous these “protests” and “occupations” really are not to mention how ridiculous and absurd what these morons are trying to accomplish, that is when they themselves are able to figure out what it is they are trying to accomplish!

Useful idiots all of them!

Liberty or Death on October 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM

The asylums appear to have dumped a lot of patients.

Imagine, they all vote, against you.

Go gulching.

Schadenfreude on October 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Not clicking on that video. I can’t take any more of the stupid. I CAN’T FREAKIN’ TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!

It’s too much…

But seriously, the parasite to society are detestable in every way.

Yakko77 on October 7, 2011 at 3:10 PM

It’s like a cargo cult. By mimicking the outward trappings of successful people — whether that success is in the real world, like Fox News, or in the realm of protesters, like the Woodstock generation — they believe they will be magically imbued with that same success.

This is a cornerstone of leftist belief.

Jim Treacher on October 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM

lorien1973 on October 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Exchange rate? Dude your talking apples and oranges.

mechkiller_k on October 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM

AndrewsDad on October 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

listens2glenn on October 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM

To the girl that wanted free college tuition–you’ll get what you paid for. Please don’t squeeze the Charmin, or your diploma.

I’m glad they saved the smartest people for last–the four-year-olds dancing to the drums.

Steve Z on October 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Among the boilerplate anti-capitalist rhetoric included a lifelong Democrat…

So… what are we talking – 17 years – or just the 1 year since he became self-aware of his political leanings?

slug on October 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The desperation of the Left is hilarious

They are completely pathetic. You can see them salivating over the possibilities, but you can also see their irrelevancy.

Old Aunt Bitty.