Reid goes nuclear: Dems change rules to strip GOP of right to offer amendments after cloture

posted at 8:37 pm on October 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

This is procedural esoterica and therefore it’s very confusing, but here’s the nutshell version: Reid’s finally lost his mind.

The Hill calls it “shocking.”

Reid appealed a ruling from the chair that Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) does not need unanimous consent to force a vote on a motion to suspend the rules to consider amendments after cloture has already been approved.

The chair, which was occupied by Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alaska), ruled under the advice of the Senate parliamentarian that Republicans had the right to force a vote on a motion to suspend the rules and proceed to President Obama’s controversial jobs bill.

Republicans planned to use this right of the minority to embarrass Obama by showing that many Democrats do not support his jobs package as originally drafted. But Reid moved to kill their plan by appealing the chair’s ruling, triggering a vote.

The maneuver is arcane but momentous. If a simple majority of the Senate votes with Reid and strikes down the ruling, the chamber’s precedent will be changed through the unilateral action of one party.

Begich’s ruling that the GOP’s amendments should be allowed was subsequently voted down, 48/51 (Ben Nelson was the only crossover), which means going forward Republicans have no right to offer amendments after cloture on a bill is invoked. (The filibuster, which is aimed at blocking the majority from invoking cloture in the first place, is unaffected by Reid’s move.) Still confused? Read Philip Klein, who has a quick, plain-English translation of what it all means. Post-cloture amendments are a cheap and easy way for the minority party to force the majority to vote on proposals that might somehow embarrass them. The embarrassing proposal in this case was … Obama’s jobs bill, which Democrats still don’t uniformly support. Apparently, to spare The One the humiliation of having members of his own party vote no on the PassThisBillRightAway Act of 2011, Reid freaked out and nuked the GOP’s right to offer amendments entirely. That’s how much of a fiasco O’s jobs plan is right now: Simply to avoid having to vote on it, longstanding Senate rules are being rewritten on the fly by … his own party.

Jim DeMint tweeted afterward, “World’s Greatest Deliberative Body now doesn’t allow minority amendments unless we get majority’s permission.” And a few minutes later, “Dems rammed through Obamacare, stimulus and now rammed through rules to gag minority rights.” I’m 99 percent sure Reid’s going to relent on this once he gets his caucus together and figures out how to handle Obama’s bill, not because he’s a swell guy but because the GOP’s highly likely to take back the Senate next year and will merrily bludgeon the Democrats with this precedent unless they revoke it pronto. Let’s see how long Reid holds out. I’d be surprised if he lasts more than a couple of days. Exit quotation: “Am I 100 percent confident that I’m right? No. But I feel pretty comfortable with what we’ve done.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Careful what you wish for Harry. In 13-14 months you may regret it.

multiuseless on October 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

But yet this is somehow the GOP’s fault nothing can get done.

I have to admit – I read this several times until I figured out exactly what happened. The Senate is a strange place.

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I hope the Republicans remember this and use this same trick to repeal Obamacare when they win the majority next year. Quid pro quo.

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

This is good. Only 51 seats will be needed to revoke Obamacare.

gh on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I’m so glad Dingy Harry has graciously allowed us to repeal Obamacare on a straight majority vote. Thanks lots, Harry!

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I wouldn’t bet my farm on it. There’s a great chance that GOP will not win anything and will only keep the house by diminished numbers.

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Welcome to hell, you aholes, when you lose the senate you can look back on this day when the GOP gets payback.

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

But yet this is somehow the GOP’s fault nothing can get done.

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I am not sure I understand the rules at all, but I DO understand that once again, Harry Reid is cheating to get shit through the Senate, like he did with Obamacare. Remember, they passed that by using reconciliation to avoid needing 60 votes after Brown won that Senate seat.

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Thanks Nevada…

ronsfi on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Every time I think this sleazeball has gone as low as he can go, he outdoes himself. Nevadans must be bursting with pride.

ncborn on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Come on Democrats. Why won’t you support the President’s jobs bill? They either support or they’re gonna get run out.

El_Terrible on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

CONGRESS?………GAG !!!!!!!

Both wretched examples of Party leadership. The rollover-and-play-dead GOP will be whining and crying like a little puppy dog by the time I finish this post.

I saw on FB today that Boehner was sobbing that there is much “common ground” to work with the President.

HURL!!!!!

It’s over, the Teater Nation has no one that will save her and lead (thanks Palin for quitting again).

PappyD61 on October 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I’m so glad we picked an A-1 candidate to put this guy away last year.

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Most sure-fire way to totally destroy the Democratic Party? Re-elect Obama and let them keep a majority in the senate for 2 more years. Of course that would destroy the country, too, but what the heck.

starboardhelm on October 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

This metaphoric civil war we’re in has a half life, at the end of which is hot war. It’s coming. Obamariots are next.

Western_Civ on October 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Nooooooooooooo, try the opposite. More blue dog dems will lose because the dems are so hard left now. And there are at least 7 Senate seats that will be lost by the Dems next year. Instead, there is a remote chance the R’s will have 60 if they run the table. Americans are pissed off and hate Obama. They will take it out on the Dems.

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

The Democrats just don’t care about the rules. Push them hard enough, and they’ll throw them all out the window if they think they can eek an advantage out of it.

They’re starting to cut close to the bone — establish this precedent, and you’re just a stone’s throw away from abolishing the filibuster and whatever other rules need to be changed in order to turn the Senate into a smaller House of Representatives.

Revenant on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Memo to Republicans: THIS is how you play the game. Not by being nice, not by compromising, and not by calling those terrorists your “good friend”.

SouthernGent on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

America… the mask has slipped for the 92nd time this week… how about dropping the Dems into single digit support?

mankai on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Why is the GOP not getting this message out!?

All day long I had to hear Obama babbling at me about how the GOP was not allowing his jobs bill to pass, about how they’re not letting the bill come to a vote…

And here Reid has to flagrantly abuse Senate voting powers to prevent ObamaJobs(tm) from coming to a vote because he doesn’t have the votes.

Every GOP member should say, “The Senate won’t let ObamaJobs come up for a vote” in every interview and every press release. They should point out that Reid had to CHANGE THE RULES to prevent it from coming up for a vote.

Reid didn’t have the cajones to do this himself. This was Obama smacking him back to not embarass the boy wonder.

Meanwhile, in the congress, The Jesse Jackson Jr. submits a bill to censure Perry. The US Congress can’t censure the governor of another state!!!!

If the GOP doesn’t get their PR act together and show that they’re trying to do the people’s work while the Democrats are playing political games and trying to maintain their power base I don’t see what the point of having a GOP is, except to stop the DNC from turning us into the People’s Democratic Republic of America.

Which is undoubtedly a good thing for the GOP to be stopping but it isn’t a forward looking message for 2012.

Skywise on October 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

SouthernGent on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Memo to Republicans: This is what happens when you put up incompetents like Sharron Angle. Remember that when taking a second look at Cain, Bachmann….

IR-MN on October 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Of course he is cheating – the guy couldn’t get anything through with a super majority.

If I understand this correctly – once a bill has cloture – it’s voted on without any amendments with a simple majority vote. So this could work in our favor if we win back the Senate but in the meantime – expect a lot more filibusters I’m sure.

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Never forget what the left is all about, their crede is the same as the commuies of thw world, nudge shoot and shove.

The Democrats must want another civil war like the one they caused over their slavery …

tarpon on October 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Instead, there is a remote chance the R’s will have 60 if they run the table.

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

You know as well as I do that that’s never happening. For one thing, I’ve been informed that the True Conservative cause demands that Olympia Snowe and Scott Brown be replaced by Democrats.

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

PetecminMd on October 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Poor Reid. He had a serious problem to solve…… do I try to “Pass This Bill Now” which will lose, proving further what a SCOAMF Obama is OR do I change the rules of the Senate which will be used against my party after the 2012 election? Decisions, decisions.

Spider79 on October 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

ruled under the advice of the Senate parliamentarian

Power in the shadows. How do you get that job?

peski on October 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

PetecminMd on October 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Little of both. Palin’s not running, you see, and that naturally means the GOP’s headed for a biblical defeat in 2012.

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Doesn’t matter. When the Republicans take over and try this the media will be 24/7 about how unprecedented this is and unfair. If anybody should try to point this out, they will just lie about it.

Just another example of how the rules of engagement are different for Dems than Repubs.

The Dems ran a guy for President 10 years ago whose father voted against the civil rights bill in the Senate. And less normal people know about that than know that one of the 8 candidates now vying for the Republican nomination belongs to a family that once upon a time leased property on which offensive language was written on a rock.

jdp629 on October 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Reid commits a terrorist act in the senate and takes hostages.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM

1000:1 Republicans will NOT do the same when they take the Senate. Idiots like McCain and Snowe will block it from happening.

GUARANTEED.

angryed on October 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM

By Hook or by Crook
—–Democrat Creed!

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

IR-MN on October 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Sharon Angle may be the biggest moron and loser around but there is no way she is worse than Harry Reid. So therefore the voters ov Nevada are the dumbest phucks in the desert.

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Remember when the Republicans were in the majority in the Senate…

… and Trent Lott, in a show of political elite ruling classmanship, gave Chairmanship of some of the Committees to Democrats, held joint press conferences, and sat quiet when Democrats savaged President Bush?

(I just wanted everyone to feel a little better…
… no need to thank me.)

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Oh please… the GOP doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to do this back to the Dems when they take bake the Senate. They will fold like a cheap lawnchair as usual…

Laura Curtis on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Unbelievable. Staffing the court with judges wasn’t enough to destroy the filibuster. Nor amnesty/immigration reform. Nor was the Putin-esque passage of the healthcare bill through the teeth of majority opposition.

But Reid will abolish the ways and procedures of the U.S. Senate, that great cooling saucer, to attain action on that most vital issue…the Democrats pride. To spare Democrats the indignity of having to formally vote against Obama’s worthless tax-for-jobs bill, the Senate will have to go.

HitNRun on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Man, I love this new rule: There are no rules. At least Barney Fife recognized that rule # one is to: obey all rules. If i were McConnell, I would change the Senate rule so that all contrary votes are invalid. The sum total ignorance of Senator Reid is the absolute low water mark in American Politic.

tom0508 on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Thanks for the post and explanations AP.

From the Philip Klein link:

And just to clear up some confusion, what happened tonight was different than the so-called “nuclear option” to end filibusters. While triggering the “nuclear option” requires a Majority Leader to use the same sort of strategic maneuvers as Reid just did, tonight’s move had to do with the amendment process, not filibusters.

I’m a bit slow tonight, but I don’t get what this means. What’s the significance?

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I have to say that Sen. McConnell has really done some fine procedural arm twisting since he became majority leader and Reid always takes the bait.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I think the Leftist politicians are counting on a coordinated effort by the Leftist street to cause a “Reichstag” moment before 2012 that will facilitate the need for a more… aggressive government.

IronDioPriest on October 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM

As much as I dislike them, the dems don’t f*ck around. Meanwhile our delicate flower repubs want to get along and along. “Please like me, I’ll do better—-I’m sorry I made you mad”.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Reid made it so the minority cannot offer amendments after a bill is in cloture without approval.

Filibusters happen before cloture. So we can still filibuster just no last minute amendments.

At least that’s how I understand it.

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM

So,Bipartisanship is still DOA!!

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Laura Curtis on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I share your skepticism about the Grand Old Party.

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

PetecminMd on October 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Why should the American public vote for Obama Lite (Romney) when they can have the real thing?

ebrown2 on October 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Lets review…….DejaVu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, change of plans:

Instead of a majority vote, they invoked a special rule that lets them deny Republicans the right to offer amendments but requires two-thirds of the House to pass the bill. The GOP decided to protest the procedural move by having virtually all of its members vote no, which brings us to the freakout du jour.
===============================================

Team Republican rocks…..hahaha….(sarc).

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Yet Reid’s son went down to defeat in an epic landslide. Candidates matter. Angle was seen as crazy. We can’t afford another four years of Obama; we can’t afford Cain or Bachmann.

IR-MN on October 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yes, and Porkulus II will create millions of jobs, and Iran really likes us now, and we’re going to replace all our gas guzzlers with electric sunshinemobiles and our nuclear and power plants with bird-friendly windmills, forgive everybody’s credit card debt, school loans, and mortgages, and John Boehner is a poopy head.

peski on October 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Remember when the Republicans were in the majority in the Senate…

(I just wanted everyone to feel a little better…
… no need to thank me.)

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Excellent Recall,and,great point!:)

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

The optics are pretty damn funny. The demorat senate majority leader having to use this scheme to keep the demorat president’s jobs bill from being voted upon because there aren’t enough demorat senators who will support it.

And then there’s the fact tha….wassat? OMG, CNN just broke a story about this big rock in Texas!!!

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Thanks.

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

PappyD61 on October 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

You know, I can see from your perspective you are correct. You have been so wrapped up in living a different life vicariously through SP that you have forgotten how to do what you what others to do for you.

I don’t know, maybe you never have had the cojones to do anything in the first place, but would rather whine and complain like you have for years on HA. SP is one person with one message and she must have decided that running for office would affect how she gets to present the message.

You sir, should stop whining about SP and pick up some of the load.

belad on October 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

When Obowma declares ‘Martial Law’ after he looses the election…

… and Harry Reid and the Democrats in the House and Senate stand with him, don’t be surprised.

Just sayin’…

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Still need 60 votew for cloture, which ends debate and puts the bill up for final amendments and a vote.

Wethal on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yup,the LEFT are still at WAR with the RIGHT!!

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

One more time… they don’t want this jobs bill. They know it will go down in Congress. That was the plan all along. Because they’ve got everyone convinced that the Republicans have the Congress, they can then blame the Republicans when the jobs bill never happened.

HELLO! I cannot be the only one who sees right through this sham!

UnderstandingisPower on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

SouthernGent on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

It’s damned annoying isn’t it?

SlaveDog on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Once again. THANK YOU NEVADA for this senile old fool!

GarandFan on October 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM

This is good. Only 51 seats will be needed to revoke Obamacare.

gh on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

One can only wish…

Thanks to our RINOs, the Dems can always bank on the GOP not retaliating.

Where are the “across the aisle” generals on this? McCain, Graham, Maine sisters, Scott Brown, etc…

But you can bet if the GOP does something similar, they will be booked on every media outlet talking about how wrong it is.

TheRightMan on October 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Reid changed the Senate Rules by majority vote.

The filibuster is a rule of the Senate, and now may be changed by majority vote.

He may not have ended the filibuster here, but has shown us that he is willing to use the process that would end it… and that his party will follow him over the cliff.

knob on October 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

IR-MN on October 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

If the GOP had gotten behind Angle and given the support she needed to fight Reid she would have won. But they saw her as someone they couldn’t control and rather than have that on their hands they stuck with Reid. It’s the devil you know versus the devil you don’t know.
The RSCC crapped on her plain and simple because she wasn’t GOPure.

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

SouthernGent on October 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

According to DeMint the repubs did it to themselves.

derft on October 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Thanks Nevada…

ronsfi on October 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Or, maybe we can thank Sharon Angle.

Red State State of Mind on October 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

PappyD61 on October 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

PappyD61:You do have a point,after all,the Progressives will now
think that the Tea Party is rudderless,and no longer a
threat,and Leaderless!

That will be their perception of it!:)

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

When Obowma declares ‘Martial Law’ after he looses the election…

Just sayin’…

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Never going to happen. This nation has a steel spine under the layers of fat, and that spine is well armed.

peski on October 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Gosh, that’s a pretty lure. *sniff, sniff* But it stinks, so I ain’t bitin’.

predator on October 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

According to DeMint the repubs did it to themselves.

derft on October 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

What did he say?

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Or, maybe we can thank Sharon Angle.

Red State State of Mind on October 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Maybe we can blame the RSCC for not supporting the Republican candidate against Harry Reid in the last election in Nevada.

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I feel bad, I understood exactly what this was and what it meant. I need to step outside more often.

Mini-14 on October 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Boy I wonder how sleezy Harry was when he boxed or when he was on the gaming/boxing commission, he just seems to me to be an out F’n standing guy.

tim c on October 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Look, in the past month Obama’s speechifying across the country has shifted the poll measured blame for lack of jobs from 39/39 R/D to something like 51/37 R/D. His act that drones on every night on the MSM news is having an affect. The longer Reid holds the bill off the floor the more voters believe it is the fault of the Republicans.

Why the heck isn’t the RNC running ads that tell the American people that the crap Obama is peddling is all lies? Like him pointing at the Ohio River bridge as a jobs bill beneficiary when it won’t be, his claim that Republicans are holding up the jobs bill in Congress when it is Reid that has pocketed it for the last 6 weeks, etc. Obama has laid out his campaign strategy and is making headway. The Republicans need to start counter-campaigning NOW!

in_awe on October 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Mini-14 on October 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Don’t feel bad.

I felt dumb that I didn’t get it on the first read.

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Boy I wonder how sleezy Harry was when he boxed

tim c on October 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM

My guess is he did lots of head butts, which explains his deranged thinking nowadays.

predator on October 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Sharon Angle may be the biggest moron and loser around but there is no way she is worse than Harry Reid. So therefore the voters of Nevada are the dumbest phucks in the desert.

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I get so tired of Angle, McMahon,—and yes O’Donnell getting slammed. In ones wildest dreams none of them would be as bad as the ones who currently occupy the seats. And no, some of the dumbest phucks live right here in good old CA.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Despise this little elf.

Because the RNC is a bunch of impotent, establishment spokespukes who wouldn’t know how to fight/campaign if their lives depended on it. They are by far the lamest “Republican/conservative” group out there.

blatantblue on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

He was on Levin. Said they voted so they could say they were doing something about China currency. All political. Even Sessions voted for it.

derft on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Nice try. Angle was an awful candidate, but she was a terrific fundraiser, having some of the highest money totals of all our candidates. And Rove’s group dumped over 10 million into the race.

But all the money in the world won’t convince an independent to vote for a whackjob like Angle. What’s Excuse #2 for why Sharron Angle wasn’t the reason Reid’s still there?

KingGold on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

PappyD61 on October 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

“The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president.”

“The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.”

sharrukin on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Fight or flight.
The gazelle is in trouble.

poteen on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

How many more examples of TYRANNY do we need, guys?

Midas on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Because the only place they would play would be FNC and the right side of the Web. And those people already know.

predator on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

peski on October 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I agree…

… but the Dems never give up power easily.

They will go “scorched earth policy” first…

… Those protests on Wall Street, et al are just the beginning of the riots to come. Hence, need for Obowma to save the Country by ‘Martial Law’.

It’s in their one page playbook…

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

End Crony Fascism – Impeach Obama!

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

The Palinization of the GOP is full speed ahead.

PappyD61 on October 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM

PappyD61:This is from the Palin thread,but the headline needs to
be put up here,as the Lefty Emblodening Begins,and the
linky you supplied!
=============================

Oct 6, 7:54 PM EDT
Obama to GOP: ACT ON JOBS OR GET RUN OUT OF TOWN
************************************************

WASHINGTON (AP) — A combative President Barack Obama challenged a divided Congress on Thursday to unite behind his jobs bill or get ready to be run “out of town” by angry voters.

Hoping to use public frustration and economic worry as leverage, he called his proposal an insurance plan against a painful return to recession.

canopfor on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

You’re right. Romney wold lose the GOP base and anti-corporate/establishment independents.

elfman on October 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

PS I’m not sure how the nuke option was tied in to that vote.

derft on October 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM

El Rushbo will have a Field Day with this tomorrow!..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM

promachus on October 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I don’t think there is enough time for a sudden discovery of cold fusion power to work it’s way through the market before elections, and I can’t really think of anything else that would give the Dems a chance of pulling that off.

Count to 10 on October 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Perhaps the GOP made their nuisance ammendments in order to force Reid’s hand. In any case… all in!

Constantine on October 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM

So Obamacare gets repealed in 2013 by a simple majority vote? Sweet. That should be no problem. Oh the tangled webs we weave, Harry.

Rational Thought on October 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM

derft on October 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks!

gophergirl on October 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

And here I thought the D’s would oblige Obama to have a vote on his preciousssss….

Instead the D’s go further into authoritarian mode, which is their only mode of operation at this point.

Could someone clue Obama in that it isn’t Boehner that is holding up the bill but HIS OWN PARTY?

ajacksonian on October 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Constantine on October 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM

McConnell wanted a vote on Obama’s so-called jobs bill, and Reid- who has been rewriting Obama’s bill- decided earlier today that he was going to avoid the matter altogether.

youngTXcon on October 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Harry Harry, quite contrary, how does your retirement grow.

Your House is on fire, and the folks are carrying pitchforks,

Remember, that you reap what you sow.

Rovin on October 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Rational Thought on October 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM

We should do that anyway. Have the CBO work up a score for a repeal Obamacare bill. Make sure the score comes out the right way. Use reconciliation.

Revenant on October 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM

HELLO! I cannot be the only one who sees right through this sham!

UnderstandingisPower on October 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

This! And especially this…

How many more examples of TYRANNY do we need, guys?

Midas on October 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I’ve had a terrible day and am crabby and miserable as all get-out. So I’m not saying anything else, because I’d be banned 4-ever and ever.

GrannyDee on October 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM

That guy is such a d-bag. Thanks again, Nevada…suckers.

changer1701 on October 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Well ok the Palin bloodbaths are probably mostly history, but at least we can rehash the Sharon Angle’esque slugfests.

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Rational Thought on October 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM

That would be so so sweet. Just one fly in the ointment—-our guys will come up with a new gang of whatever. After all you don’t want to gloat if you happen to win the senate. Personally, I wouldn’t piss on em if they were on fire.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM