Obama hits disapproval high in new Quinnipiac poll

posted at 9:25 am on October 6, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

But no worries, right?  They tell me he’s still the favorite:

American voters disapprove 55 – 41 percent of the job President Barack Obama is doing, an all- time low, and say 77 – 20 percent that the economy is in a recession, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. Voters say 44 – 11 percent that the economy is getting worse, not better, while only 29 percent say the economy will improve if the president is re-elected.

Remember that Obama reinvented himself last month as a John Edwardsian Two-Americas populist as a means to excite his base and get his opponents on defense.  How’s that working out?  Er … poorly.  His disapproval in July was at 46%, and in September it was 52%.  Obama’s hard-Left tilt isn’t helping his standing at all among voters.

Obama’s rating on the economy are the biggest red flags.  With jobs and economic growth almost certain to be the biggest issues in the 2012 general election, less than a third of voters think a second Obama term will help matters.  His approval numbers on the economy are almost as bad, 32/64, and only 66% of Democrats approve, while 29% disapprove.  Independents disapprove 26/69.  Voters now give an edge to Republicans in Congress on economic leadership, 43/41, never a good sign for an incumbent President.

To show how this will apply to an election, Quinnipiac asked respondents whether Obama or Mitt Romney would do better as the nation’s economic leader — and Romney wins by 10 points, 49/39, with indies giving him a 13-point edge, 49/36.  Rick Perry beats Obama 45/42, and indies go 43/39 for Perry.   Those aren’t re-elect numbers, and contra Roger Simon, they’re not the numbers of a “favorite” in any cycle, especially 2012.

Nor can Obama make a strong case as a head of state.  His foreign-policy approval numbers are underwater at 44/48; in July, he had a 47/43 approval rating in this area.  He’s especially vulnerable on Israel, where his approval drops to 34/48, and he only gets a 57/21 from fellow Democrats.  Relations with Israel have been a weak area for Obama for the past year, but it’s certainly not improving.

Obama might have made his aides and his true believers on the Left happier with his new class-warfare schtick.  So far, it’s not impressing anyone else.

Comments

You should just bookmark that headline, I think it is going to get a lot of use.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM

NØbama !

petefrt on October 6, 2011 at 9:28 AM

66 percent of democraps approve of Obama’s murder of the economy. Tells yoy all you need to know of the anti american hatred of the democrat party.

eaglewingz08 on October 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I came, I saw, I…fell off the map.

RDE2010 on October 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Next up is the scorched earth campaign.

Purple Fury on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Stick a pitchfork in him; he’s done!

Mutnodjmet on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Now we get to hear another speech about his jobs plan. Ugh.

/I know it is supposed to be a presser, but it’ll morph into preachifyin’ about the po state of murca.

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I still don’t believe he will be the opponent. Prepare accordingly.

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Unless Perry steps up it looks like Romney-Cain. Not a bad combo and given the congress and senate will be GOP controlled an even better combo.

Bradky on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Hardest hit: Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman.

princetrumpet on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

So who’s unelectable now?

SlaveDog on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Next up is the scorched earth campaign.

Purple Fury on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

It’s already started. The real ugliness will begin though once the GOP nominee is determined.

Doughboy on October 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Obviously, Obowma hasn’t been on TV enough spewing his message/sarc.

dthorny on October 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Next up is the scorched earth campaign.

Purple Fury on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I think that’s happening already… the Occupy Everything movement. He just unleashed the Goonions so this should be terrifying to watch. Re-elect him.. or else.

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 9:37 AM

If your last name is Jobs, you better change it before you get anywhere near Obama. That’s how bad he is.

RBMN on October 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Still plenty of time before November 2012 to try and buy votes while intimidating everyone who might stand in PBHO’s way.

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

How can this be?

The WaPo Poll says: Obama’s the smartest, most honest candidate in the race, from the HA Headlines.

Fallon on October 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM

We’re all RAAAAACISTS now.

OhioCoastie on October 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

How many polling places will be manned by the New Black Panther Party next year?

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM

+1 Cindy

Translation: more racists found

cmsinaz on October 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I have my own little indicators which have been revealing this for a while and have been only getting worse.

The like and dislike buttons on White House videos. They’ve completed reversed in the last year and now are overwhelmingly against him.

I use AP videos of his prancing down AF1 stairs during his arrivals but the AP has lost interest. Only still photos of Obamaa prancing. No video from Obama reading about himself to the school children. This is painful to me although the stills are great.

How can I make videos when the best uncensored moments aren’t available?
Granny Jan

No Niks on October 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM

To show how this will apply to an election, Quinnipiac asked respondents whether Obama or Mitt Romney would do better as the nation’s economic leader — and Romney wins by 10 points, 49/39, with indies giving him a 13-point edge, 49/36. Rick Perry beats Obama 45/42, and indies go 43/39 for Perry.

Since both Romney and Perry beat Obama on being a better ECONOMIC leader, the Republican candidates need to focus their campaign on economic, not social issues. It’s the economy, stupid, and Obama is stuck on stupid on the economy.

Steve Z on October 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM

You got that right Doughboy

cmsinaz on October 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM

“Hey- Lets all do the Limbo-rock: HOW LOW CAN HE GO?”,
before another Dem challenges him.

3dpuzzman on October 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM

This incompetent dolt is on political life support but his cult and the mainstream media refuse to remove it. Agree with “Key West Reader” . . . he has just unleashed his “Brown Shirts” on the entire nation.

rplat on October 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Agree Steve and yet the debate moderators would rather focus on social issues to help out dear leader

cmsinaz on October 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

RBMN on October 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Did Obama help Steve Jobs die? What a shame–Jobs made great computers…

Steve Z on October 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

It is official. Here is proof that “Blame Bush” is now “Blame Obama.”

Tissues at the ready.

bloggless on October 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I don’t care what Chief of Staff Daley says, The Won has to love the OWS folks. The man loves chaos.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Obama
Must
Go

gatorboy on October 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM

We are 13 months from the election and Obama has already lost. Has this ever happened before?

And it is not because of his polling numbers, it is because of his actions. No matter how he reinvents himself he will always come off as an insincere douche bag. Alinsky does not work when no one believes a damn thing that comes out your mouth. And the only way he can win by running on a platform of, “At least I am not as big a douche as my opponent!” is if his opponent is David Duke.

NotCoach on October 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM

How can this be? Debbie Blabbermouth said the economy is great.

angryed on October 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I am the 55%.

JetBoy on October 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I know I will sound like a broken record but Republicans should NOT get sucked into the “Obama will lose so badly” polls that are being churned out.

Think of it this way:

I would feel much better if these polls were coming out in Spring/Summer 2012.

We are being set up for a Summer of Recovery ’12. A very bleak picture is being created of Obama’s chances so that even the minutest of good news next year will be spun as Obama’s comeback.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

PS: Irrespective of what the polls say, Romney will lose to Obama – period!

TheRightMan on October 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Bradky on October 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Romney’s worst enemy right now is Romney. Regardless of how weak Obama looks now, Romney will have a hard time beating both his opponent and himself. Even Bob Shrum, the Susan Lucci of Democrat advisors, could develop a strategy to beat Romney. There’s overwhelming video evidence that Romney will say anything, take any contradictory or ridiculous position, to win whatever office he happens to be seeking at the time. The commercials would be devastating. Lucci eventually won her Emmy. I hope Shrum never wins the White House.

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

No Niks on October 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I’ve noticed the same with Yahoo News comments. Doesn’t matter what the topic is, the anti-Obama like/dislike (thumbs up/down) is running at 3:1. A year ago it was even. Two years ago it was 3:1 in favor of Obama.

angryed on October 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Pathetic personal stories of the Wailers of Wall Street

What do they all have in common?

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

LOL. Good one.

angryed on October 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Good point rightman

cmsinaz on October 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

The place: Chicago, Illinois

The time: May, 2012

The event: The G8 Summit AND The NATO Summit

Grab a friend, and come watch Chicago burn! http://wp.me/p1ipEz-Bw

TeresainFortWorth on October 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

SCOAMF hasn’t lost yet.

Much depends on who we nominate.

I had planned to put much of my life on hold to volunteer for Palin. Aside from casting my ballot, I won’t lift a finger to help Romney. There may be something in between.

We’re not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination.

ElectricPhase on October 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

But no worries, right? They tell me he’s still the favorite

Yes! And only Mitt Romney can save us!!

/sarc

pseudonominus on October 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM

What do they all have in common?

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Wow – I skated through college rather unscathed financially after looking through those 99%5% nutters

gatorboy on October 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

If your choice is Romney or Obama who do you go with? that’s the bottom line question. The likely nominee will be Cain, Perry or Romney. You go with what you have.

Yes! And only Mitt Romney can save us!!

/sarc

pseudonominus on October 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Looking for a savior is kind of pointless. Mainly because you are looking at politicians 99% of the time. Even Reagan, who a lot of people liked was not seen as a giant until he actually proved himself over two terms.

Bradky on October 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM

ElectricPhase on October 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Don’t nominate Ron Paul, John McCain or David Duke and we’re all set.

NotCoach on October 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Along those lines, I find this article’s title a tad more amusing…

Americans now disapprove of Barack Obama as much as they do Russia’s Putin

Happily, Obozo lacks Putin’s muscle to get what he wants…undisputed rule over a nation, though he probably dreams of it.

CPT. Charles on October 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Plus we will have unprecedented voter fraud, including from the new black panthers, the unions, and the newly named acorn organization, all assisted and overseen by the injustice department.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM

BS, Dumb-Ø is a shoe in now because we will stay home. The Rethuglican Party got just what they wanted last night, 4 more years of Dumb-Ø to make way for another Bush, Jeb.

God should strike me dead if I ever vote or pay attention to what another cretin politician has to say again.

The Tea Party is dead.

Jayrae on October 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM

NotCoach on October 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Sorry, but I don’t share your optimism.

ElectricPhase on October 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Seems to me I remember something in the Bible about not coveting. What was that? Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors…ah…goods? I wonder if the very moral, Christian-ish Left ever thinks about that. How does this class warfare line up with Judeo-Christian morality, really? Jesus didn’t tell the crowd to take the rich man’s wealth, he ask the rich man to give it up voluntarily. I don’t think he ever admonished anyone to “take from the rich and give to the poor.” Theft is theft (there’s a command for that too) and coveting is coveting. People on the left are just spoiled, immature brats who want something for nothing. It’s “owed” to them for merely existing. Adolescents (the left) think theft is okay because it isn’t fair for some people to have more than others. It’s a primitive way of thinking. But I think/hope the adults in society out number the adolescents (whatever their age).

BillyWilly on October 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM

“I won.” PBHO

Regarding this poll, you certainly did…

Khun Joe on October 6, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Barry’s going to have additional likeability problems soon.

Why? Because his wife, daughters, and in-laws took a trip to Africa costing taxpayers well over $400K and Moochelle Antoinette listed their daughters as “senior staffers” to help justify the cost. I haven’t seen a move that dumb since Jimmy Carter mentioned his detailed chats about the threat of nuclear war with young Amy Carter.

Can you believe this crap?

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Sorry, but I don’t share your optimism.

ElectricPhase on October 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

The thing to keep in mind is that this will be referendum election on Obama. A moldy piece of bread will be seen as less destructive then the current moron we have.

All elections, from my perspective, are a choice between the lesser of two evils. And as long as we don’t nominate someone who can be credibly portrayed as worse than Obama, Obama is toast.

This is not to say the primaries are not important. I will be very disappointed if we nominate Romney, Gingrich (slightly less disappointed) or Huntsman. And downright depressed if we nominate Paul because I see a loss to Obama at that point. Paul can easily be portrayed as the worst of two evils.

NotCoach on October 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Bradky on October 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM

My comment was a response to your comment that Romney/Cain isn’t a bad combo. My point was that I think Romney is a loser because he will walk into the campaign with his chest full of arrows inexplicably shot from his own bow. Yeah, he might win, but the battle will be much harder than it should be because of his record of liberalism and flip-flops. The Rats will have a field day. Jon Stewart has already started. Of course they will hit our candidate regardless, but Romney offers them orders of magnitude more material.

Now that the field is set I don’t know who I will support. All I know is who I cannot.

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM

BillyWilly on October 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Just like anything they’re trying to do. They use lies and deceit as they go. Abortion for instance. You tell yourself long enough that it’s just a clump of cells, and not a baby…and they wind up believing that. THey shut Jesus, and all Christianity, right and wrongs, out. They use it only when it serves their purpose. Otherwise, they aren’t Christians. Just users.

capejasmine on October 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM
The daughters as “senior staffers” is a nice little issue, however: I have not seen a copy of the document on which this appears, and I have not heard anything about any benefit that accrued to any of the Obamas for doing that. I may have missed that part of the story, but without those elements this may not have legs.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Page 14, Senior Staff column

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Next up is the scorched earth campaign.

Purple Fury on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

..waddya think all of those idiots — including Obama’s labor stooges — are doing out on Wall Street? As his grip on power fades, expect this to come to Main Street.

The War Planner on October 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Can anyone confirm the talk that’s buzzing around that this communist thug is thinking of canceling the elections next year??? If so, another American Revolution. What a pig!!!! No, not to defame pork. What a creep, criminal, narcissistic idiot.

chai on October 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Obama’s hard-Left tilt isn’t helping his standing at all among voters.

That’s all Barry knows. When in doubt, he runs for his comfort zone. Fortunately for the rest of us, that ‘comfort zone’ does not provide enough voters to get him re-elected.

GarandFan on October 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The Tea Party is dead.

Jayrae on October 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM

..oh God, the Sorts-sponsored trolls are back again.

The War Planner on October 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Page 14, Senior Staff column

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 11:00
Thanks. I can’t read that page for some reason but it is good that it is there. Have you heard anything about any personal benefit that any of the Obamas got from this trick?

GaltBlvnAtty on October 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM

chai on October 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

It wouldn’t be a presidential election unless someone was claiming that the current occupant of the WH was planning on canceling the elections.

NotCoach on October 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM

chai on October 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Troll often?

flyfisher on October 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Not offhand, but I’d need to do a little research.

Moochelle’s brother and sister-in-law are listed as “GUEST” in the “senior staffer” column, as are her makeup guy and hair stylist in the “staffer” column, but the daughters have no subtitle, nor does her mother, who is listed in the “stateroom” column.

It seems weird that some of her family members are marked as “GUEST”, but not others.

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

teke184 on October 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

The weirdest part is that you helped pay for the trip. The manifest could have said ’8 large bags of dog shit’ and we still would have paid for it.

BobMbx on October 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Absolutely correct. And, the reason why I’m really PO’d that the GOP is trying to PUSH RINO Romney at us.

I want Herman Cain. I want a person who is not a career politician. A man who answers questions very directly versus stumbling around to make sure his/her answer is what the majority want to hear.

katablog.com on October 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Barry is soooo 2008.

BHO Jonestown on October 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

The 29% Solution.

HEY…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Stick a pitchfork in him; he’s done!

Mutnodjmet on October 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Hey! That’s racist! (Isn’t it?)

Mr_Magoo on October 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM

They lie… We all know the number is more like 30%

RalphyBoy on October 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Obama says the smelly Wall Street protesters show Americans’ frustration with the banking system. (Hey let’s try saying that for a few days and see if it catches on!)

Mr_Magoo on October 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Twenty-nine (29%) say the economy will improve if Obama is re-elected. That is probably the certified illiteracy rate among American votes.

volsense on October 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM