Elizabeth Warren: I didn’t take my clothes off to pay for school like Scott Brown did; Scott Brown: “Thank God”

posted at 9:32 pm on October 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’ve been avoiding this topic just because the arc of the debate is so predictable. First comes the outrage from the left, eager to help Warren get a sympathy bump in the polls by casting her as the victim of sneering frat boy Scott Brown. Then comes the pushback from the right, intent on recovering any inch of lost ground by reminding the left that she took the first shot in sneering at Brown’s appearance years ago in Cosmo. Then the left has a fainting spell at the idea that the right would defend this horrible, horrible woman-hater, and then the right tells them to suck it up and learn to take a joke because politics ain’t beanbag. And so here we are.

INTERVIEWER: Have you officially responded to Elizabeth Warren’s comment about how she didn’t take her clothes off?

SCOTT BROWN: [LAUGHTER] Thank God.

INTERVIEWER: [LAUGHTER] That’s what I said! I said, “Look, can you blame a good-looking guy for wanting to, you know…”

SCOTT BROWN: You know what, listen: Bottom line is, you know, I didn’t go to Harvard. You know, I went to the school of hard knocks. And I did whatever I had to do to pay for school. And for people who know me, and know what I’ve been through, mom and dad married and divorced four times each. You know, some real challenges growing up. You know, whatever. You know, let them throw stones. I did what I had to do. But not for having that opportunity, I never would have been able to pay for school, and never would have gone to school, and I wouldn’t probably be talking to you. So, whatever.

Follow the link up top for reaction from the Massachusetts Democratic Party, which is exactly what you’d expect it to be, replete with the surreal assertion that Brown’s voted “in lockstep with Tea Party Republicans.” (Try telling that to tea partiers.) I think Philip Klein’s right when he says, “If a leading Democrat said something similar about a prominent Republican female, conservatives would be decrying the comment as sexist.” It’s not sexist in the abstract — how many “Chris Christie’s so fat that…” goofs have we endured over the past two weeks? — but because women are judged on their looks more than men are, a cutting comment like this can draw serious political blood. (It can draw blood from Brown too; note Klein’s point about likeability and electability.) I doubt he’ll repeat it, especially since it was said spontaneously in self-defense, but he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot. Let’s be careful out there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I like your wife’s style. I’m fed up with helpless females and would make a lousy feminist because I can and will take care of myself.

obladioblada on October 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM

However, she could have said ‘pose’ instead of ‘I didn’t take my clothes off’. She brought the picture of herself naked into everyone’s mind.

tinkerthinker on October 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Sounds like a marvelous woman – congratulations to you!
Midas on October 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM

It’s not all guns and butter. Are you married, ever gotten that wordless “look” after being out with the guys a little too late?

I’ve spent many a night wondering if I would wake up dead after getting that look from her.

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I can’t believe that fictional characters from Star Wars and Star Trek are still stopped by the filters. Anyway, at least Sen. Brown didn’t compare her to any of those things that shall not be typed.
Cindy Munford on October 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Use a zero where the “O” should be and it will get by, though if you use it in relation to Moochy the ban hammer will probably strike.

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Whenever we stay out too late and receive ‘the look’ we difinitely wake up dead.

darwin-t on October 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM

my opinion, it is not a big deal. but i do think the reason that the left MIGHT be justified in its response, is because nobody really cares about what she said, whereas his comment speaks to the truth that she is not physically attractive.

kind of like it is fair to tease a smart person as stupid, but you wouldn’t so the same to an actual stupid person.

something like that, anyway.

truecon on October 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Bishop on October 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry about waking up dead. I would worry about waking up like John Wayne Bobbit :)

catlady on October 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM

SCOTT BROWN: You know … you know … You know … whatever … You know … You know, whatever. You know … whatever.

Why is he trying to sound like Caroline Kennedy?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM

but he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot.

I think you meant golf clap.

I admit to not being able to distance myself very objectively, both in a partisan and gender fashion on this one. You can say taking a shot at a woman’s looks is out of bounds, but she’s the one who went there.

It an offsetting penalty, at worst. She’s a harpy for having attacked in that vein in the first place (is calling a man, in essence, a whore any better than attacking her looks?) and he swiped the low hanging fruit. With humor. The interviewer piled on, for heaven’s sake. I’m all for being fairly gentlemenly, but sometimes you hit the ball that’s pitched. And you move on, which he did quickly.

If he makes a campaign ad out of it, I’ll reconsider jumping on the condemnation bandwagon. Or maybe sending him money.

TexasDan on October 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM

For what it’s worth, this thread has been much more entertaining than the original story.

Erich66 on October 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

On a serious note this was not good. Stay away from personal appearance because this is toxic to a lot of women. I will have to add Bwahahahaha.

Southernblogger on October 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

TexasDan on October 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Well said.

Disturb the Universe on October 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Warren probably pulled a “The Graduate” moment on Brown, and was rejected. I’m sure it’s not the first time, or the 50th.

capejasmine on October 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Scott H on October 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I don’t either. My post was intended as sarcastic reserve physicology…or something, was never good at science stuff.

Anyhow, it’s been said many times that radical islamists only respect strength. That if they hit you and you hit them back harder, they take note. It won’t really stop them, they’ll still look for weaknesses to try again, but typically they prefer softer targets. Now if they hit you and you capitulate, it angers them because they see you as weak and worthless.

Now leftists in the U.S. fear the right, mainly because that despite the lies they tell themselves, this is still a center-right country. They are outnumbered, and they know it. So how have they decided to control a force of superior numbers? One of their tried and true methods is taking the words of someone, twisting them into an insult towards a ‘protected class’ (women, minorities, homosexuals, etc.) and then crying foul until the person that uttered them is cowed…and anyone who is of the same ideological persuasion is tainted with the same ‘crime’. It’s brilliant, and it has worked for decades. However, slowly but surely it’s getting to the point where phrases like “that’s racist” are becoming punchlines instead of battle cries.

(I’ll wait breathlessly for the “OMG, you’re comparing Democrats to terrorists!!!1!1!!eleventy!!1!)

As far as I’m concerned, Elizabeth Warren set herself up, and Scott Brown drove it home. He deserves a high-five and not a ‘wrist slap’. After all, we are in a war for the very future of our country, and pulling punches in a war is the best way to get yourself beat. Even though Scott Brown is not the ideal for most on the right, I’d rather have someone who’ll vote 50% of the time the way I would, than someone who’ll vote 0%, that is until I can get someone who’ll vote 60%, 70%, 80% etc.

Besides, we’re Americans, we love it when someone has a snappy comeback to an insult. There are people in Hollywood who get paid to come up with snappy comebacks for the John McClane’s, John Rambo’s, Han Solo’s, Dirty Harry’s etc. because American audiences love them.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Scott Brown for President?

Even if you conservatives in the rest of the country hate the guy, you have to admit that was a snappy rejoinder!

BKennedy on October 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM

So, Elizabeth Warren didn’t have to pose for a magazine in order to pay for school.

OK. So how DID she pay for her education?

schmuck281 on October 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Comfort

Key West Reader on October 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Are you telling me Farm Life never asked Elizabeth to pose for its “sow of the month” centerfold? I am surprised.

bayview on October 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM

OK. So how DID she pay for her education?

schmuck281 on October 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Apparently a large number of people paid her to keep her clothes on when she threatened to pose naked.

bayview on October 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Maybe if you live in an epicenter of vanity and the fashion industry like NYC, LA, etc., where major industries are based upon people being judged by their looks, this is a faux pas.

Out in the real world, a well-deserved, good ol’ fashioned Fred Sanford-approved five-across-the-lips is always a good thing.

Sure, he could’ve said, “Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone,” but we’re talking about Dems. Heads-they-win-tails-they-lose. NOTHING he could possibly do would be acceptable to them.

Christien on October 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Btw Allah:

Warren is a radical feminist who probably thinks she is better than every man who ever existed. If she wants to get ugly and nasty, she shouldn’t cry victim when her ugly assault is turned right back on her.

Really Allah, Warren is being ridiculous here, and Scott responded with the due dismissiveness her ugliness warranted. If the big girl wants to cry, that’s her prerogative.

Maybe she shouldn’t start fights she can’t win. If a man did that and got burned back, there wouldn’t be a thread about it.

BKennedy on October 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Kerry Connolly is yummy.

fossten on October 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM

s/b Heads-they-win-tails-you-lose

Christien on October 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM

TexasDan on October 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM

THIS.

Caiwyn on October 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Like good-looking guys aren’t presumed to be dimwits. Of course, most smart betas wouldn’t know about that.

Christien on October 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I must admit I do fantasize about taking Elizabeth Warren’s socks off, real slow and easy, and then cramming in her mouth and topping her off with a ball gag.

But only when I’m veeeery lonely . . .

Adjoran on October 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM

cramming the socks in her mouth, drat the lack of an edit function . . .

Adjoran on October 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM

As a woman, I say… f-ck her, libtards in general, and the pantywaste mock outrage. If they don’t like flak, they shouldn’t lob bombs. Twits.

CantCureStupid on October 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM

drat the lack of an edit function . . .

Adjoran on October 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM

There’s no edit function, but you may wish to pass out brain bleach.

KingGold on October 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Elizabeth Warren, the School Marm, is going for the prude vote?

Good luck, Honey!

Really Right on October 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM

HillaryCare efforts were “worthy” and “commendable” after it was well known what her intentions were.

Since Rick Perry never changes, I guess he still supports HillaryCare’s goal of universal coverage.

swamp_yankee on October 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM

No foul here.

Warren is a repulsive Marxist skank and deserves our scorn. Give Brown points for taking the open shot and tell the whiny feminazis to cram it.

There it is.

Jaibones on October 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM

No, he does not “deserve the wrist slap”.

Sigh.

capitalist piglet on October 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM

but he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot. Let’s be careful out there.

No he doesn’t, because it wasn’t a cheap shot. Warren deserved every bit of it for her cheap shot. The only people “outraged” over Brown’s perfect response are people who are predisposed to support a communist like Warren in the first place. Hardball, baby. No crying. No mercy.

holygoat on October 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM

. . . but he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot.

What? Do you have a tin ear?

That was the best spontaneous comedy line delivered by a politician in months! He was responding to her cheap shot! How could you have missed that?

In fact, that may have been the funniest bit since Chris Christie went on Imus right before the election in 2009 and talked about how fat he was. It closed the deal and put him right over the top! Corzine’s lackies who had been cracking juvenile fat jokes for weeks were left standing there wondering what the hell happened.

As was the case with Christie, Scott’s opponent brought it up, and he finished it!

Good for him. Her stupid comment literally defined “cheap shot,” not Scott Brown’s perfect rejoinder!

I may not be happy with Scott Brown for some of his votes, but that line of his was comedy gold!

Trochilus on October 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM

holygoat on October 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I was putting together my comment when you posted yours. Spot on!

I’ll guarantee you one thing. Warren will likely be advised not to bring that topic up again! But, in case she is really dopey and thinks it’s a “winner” maybe Scott’s daughter or his wife will slap her around a little the next time.

Trochilus on October 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM

After what the Left’s said about Palin, I don’t feel inclined to give a damn.

Douchetastico the Wonderdog (FKA: "Paid for by the...") on October 7, 2011 at 2:18 AM

He needs to repose full monty and call on her to do the same… no sexism, you know.

leftnomore on October 7, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Southernblogger on October 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

She brought it up and as others have said, put that mental image out there.

Now she’s a punch line. As for the remark being sexist, hers was arrogant, smug, condescending, and sexist.

dogsoldier on October 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM

It’s 5:49 am Central time, I getting ready for work and humming a little tune to myself, happier than usual.

The Yankees are out of the playoffs, early.

Fuc* the Yankees.

Jaibones on October 7, 2011 at 6:49 AM

dogsoldier on October 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM

I liked it. It was demeaning and sort of mean, and she’s a nasty, stupid leftist, so it works. Let her think about that next time she’s speaking to a group of 500.

Jaibones on October 7, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Cheap shot? No, a cheap shot would have been something along the lines of, “what, would you NAGS rather I would have been raping a woman in a Little Rock hotel room, about that time? How about leaving a woman to slowly drown to death, while I start work on covering up what I did.”

Face it. Today’s leftist woman likes it rough and violent. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t STILL be swooning over Bill Clinton.

MNHawk on October 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM

In Louisiana this would be tame. Edwin Edwards once said the only way he’d ever lose is to get caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl.

itsspideyman on October 7, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Meh, Warren’s a creepy lefty and to he!! with her. Brown’s not so bad for a liberal.

“Lockstep with the Tea Party”? I would pounce that like a cat on a cheese-filled mouse. Count and compare the votes right now.

disa on October 7, 2011 at 7:36 AM

it’s the double standard that’s infuriating…

cmsinaz on October 7, 2011 at 7:45 AM

she started this little brouhaha…she needs to take it…

cmsinaz on October 7, 2011 at 7:46 AM

This is REAL class warfare. She’s a rich snob knocking a working class guy.

mankai on October 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM

People (and Allah), please.

Brown wasn’t making fun of her looks. He wasn’t mocking her.

He was expressing thanks that she was fortunate enough to be able to get an education without resorting to selling her body.

You all have such dirty minds.

Troll Feeder on October 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Are Elizabeth Warren and Nancy Pelosi related? Its obvious they share some of the same mental deficiencies. I know liberalism is a mental disorder, but didn’t know it was genetic too.

volsense on October 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM

but he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot. Let’s be careful out there.

Allah:
Not a cheap shot, it was a perfect setup, like the old Churchill line “If I were your husband I would drink it”…it’s humor, spontaneous humor…now Allah is going “PC” on us.
Off the cuff remarks, like this, is not “policy”, let’s get that notion out of your head.
Reagan made his living off those, they are just plain funny, nothing other than that…sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…

right2bright on October 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

he deserves the wrist slap for a cheap shot. Let’s be careful out there.

You’re out of your fury little mind

TheBigOldDog on October 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM

right2bright on October 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Faux self-criticism like that is common from AllahPundit. It’s why I rarely visit anymore. The most dangerous woman in America (trust me, she is) takes a cheap shot and gets a truthful smack back and Brown is the one who needs a wrist slap? WTF?! Idiotic faux self-discipline like that is why the Right is so intellectually weak and bankrupt. No balls and no brains.

TheBigOldDog on October 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM

In all honesty, I would rather spend the day contemplating a field strewn with fresh cow manure before I would gaze on a picture of Elizabeth Warren in the nude.

Men do not stare into the face of the Gorgon and live.

pilamaye on October 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Men do not stare into the face of the Gorgon and live.

pilamaye on October 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM

TheBigOldDog on October 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Southernblogger on October 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

The preponderance of which seem to be members of the left.

;)

VelvetElvis on October 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

It’s not surprising that Warren and the Dems are resorting to this, but Scott Brown set himself up for this at his victory speech in 2010 when he gloated about his good-looking daughters, one of whom was “available”.

Of course, there’s no evidence that Scott Brown took his clothes off before a camera after his election to the Senate–why didn’t Martha Coakley bring this up two years ago? What does this have to do with Scott Brown’s record in the Senate?

NEWS FLASH: Sarah Heath Palin once posed in a bikini in a beauty contest!!!

Oh, sorry, everybody already knew that.

Steve Z on October 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I don’t see the party doing better than Scott Brown in Taxachussetts. I like the Tea Party a ton, but for now they need to pick their battles.

EconomicNeocon on October 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

The people in this thread who have a problem with his remark….

…..c’mon.

itsspideyman on October 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

This is one position that Sen. Brown and I are in COMPLETE agreement on!!

“Well played, Mauer…”

Khun Joe on October 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM

All bets are off on this socialist loser Elizabeth Warren. She threw it out there with her comments, Brown was just responding.

Also, you don’t need to take your clothes off to give a B….J….

However she probably paid for her education the old fashioned way, female minority status.

jaimo on October 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Let me respond in a Scott Brown vernacular….you know, the chance, you know, to answer this question, you know, just might be the best, you know, chance I will have, you know, to deliver a zinger, you know, to one of Elizabeth’s comments, you know, so this is about it, you know……..

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on October 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Thank God indeed.

The overwhelming majority of lefty women naked or next to naked is the cure for the four-hour erection from the Cialis commercials.

Would anyone really want to see the Helen Thomas Playboy centerfold edition?

pdigaudio on October 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM

This is one position that Sen. Brown and I are in COMPLETE agreement on!!

“Well played, Mauer…”

Khun Joe on October 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Heh! Well played . . . Kim, is it?

Trochilus on October 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on October 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Nice try sunshine! If you’re trying to sell Scott Brown and indecisive no one’s buying.

Scott Brown gets my vote for Zinger of the Year!

itsspideyman on October 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

This is straight out of Winston Churchill and Lady Astor. At a formal dinner party, the latter told Winston that if he was her husband she would poison him. The former replied that if he was her husband, he would drink it.

Old Country Boy on October 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM