Cain: I’d be VP for anybody but Perry

posted at 6:38 pm on October 6, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Rick Perry paid Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich a dual compliment last debate when he said his ideal running mate would be a combination of the two of them — and, in fact, both Cain and Gingrich have said they’d be receptive to an invitation to run alongside whoever the eventual Republican nominee happens to be. But Cain, who has both tied and overtaken Perry in recent GOP presidential polls, wouldn’t necessarily feel comfortable serving as Perry’s vice president, he said today:

“I would not say no to being vice president of the United States,” Cain said. “But it would depend upon who got the nomination. I will support who gets the nomination. I know I have said that there are some people right now who I cannot support, but I wouldn’t say no to it. I could say yes. But it has to be someone who I believe I can complement them in their job by being able to bring my skills to the table.”

But, Cain told the National Journal, “Quite frankly, based upon Governor Perry’s position on some issues, I would not be comfortable being his vice presidential nominee.”

Cain said that while he hasn’t “totally gone through all of [Perry’s] positions, but a lot of positions I have questions with” including “being soft on the border, issues relative to tuition for children of illegal aliens.”

Cain is the kind of candidate to be taken at his word, so presumably Perry’s policy positions are actually what make the vice presidency under him unattractive to Cain, but Cain was also not impressed with the now-erased racial slur on the rock at Perry’s hunting camp. On the other hand, Cain called Perry a “good governor” last Friday on the Jay Leno show even as he was somewhat minimizing the other candidates.

Cain probably has enough traction at this point for his preemptive rejection of a VP offer from Perry to give Perry supporters pause, but that Cain still fields the question of whether he’s open to the vice presidential slot at all — a question which I haven’t yet noticed put to Mitt Romney or Rick Perry — is a reminder that Republican elites still don’t consider him to be the same frontrunner the American people seem to consider him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Goodbye Cain. No money and no support from me.

Vashta.Nerada on October 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Sorry I’m just stepping in here.
Are you saying Cain’s created jobs went to illegals?
Please direct me to where I can substantiate that.
I’d really appreciate it.

No, I’m saying 40% of the jobs created in Texas during Perry’s administration went to illegal immigrants.

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

There are a lot of Perry apologists who say that they are okay with his extremely weak stance on border security and immigration enforcement because it is all being done on the state level rather than the federal level. (For example, they are okay with the Texas DREAM Act because it is not a federal law.) My response to that is just this: the fact that he enacted bad policy through the proper channel does NOT change the fact that it is bad policy. It’s just like Romney with Romneycare. Sure, it is better that laws be enacted on the state level rather than the federal level, but it still tells us something about his priorities and policy stances that he would choose to support it.

This whole idea that we shouldn’t criticize someone just because they have an R next to their name just has to go. In the long term, it does the party more harm than good to have people at the helm who do not represent our core principles. If Hillary Clinton decides to switch parties and call herself a Republican, am I obligated to support her? Please forgive us all, including Cain, for the sin of wanting good candidates who actually represent our values.

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

…His inexperience in running for ANY office let alone President is going to result in him “stepping in it” time and time again.

HAHAHAHA….HAHAHAHA…whew!!!! Thanks,, I needed a good belly laugh today!!

DanaSmiles on October 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

He’s not bashing. I think the answer was very well thought out. He obviously likes Perry personally, but has some policy-based disagreements with Perry that would make it difficult for him to be Perry’s VP. I think that’s very fair. it’s not like he’s calling the guy a jerk or something. Just a friendly difference of opinion.

wearyman on October 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Many people only read the headlines.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

In 2012 againtst Obama? Yes. lol I would vote for Hillary over Obama.

That said, you are right. We need the most conservative candidate with the guts to undo the damage Obama has done (and liberalism has done for years)who can win over Obama.

For me that’s Cain, Perry, Newt, Santorum (in that order.) Cain has the best chance,Perry may have the money backing.

We have to realize we are not going to get a perfect candidate or someone we will always agree with or someone who will not make us cringe a few times during the election with “gaffes.”

A good conservative can win against Obama even without being perfect.

Cain would mop up the floor with Obama. And independents will like him. We don’t need to win over the media or liberals. They won’t like any conservative.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Poll: Cain surges, opens up 20-point lead on Romney

Here

right2bright on October 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Cain is really getting on my nerves. He’s flip flopping faster than Romney and I didn’t think that was possible. NOW, he’s saying he’ll support whoever is the Nominee? Really?? He’s on record as saying he would NOT support Gov. Perry if he is the R Nominee. Cain’s flip flops are hard to keep up with. I’m going to need a file on him.

Regarding his nasty remark that he wouldn’t be the VP for Gov. Perry, Who asked him to be? Did someone offer it to him? WOW, that takes a lot of conceit. What an insulting remark, just like his other smears against Gov. Perry. I guess his rise in the Polls have gone to his head.

Oh yeah, he’s Romney’s boy for sure. I never thot I’d see where Romney was more humble than Cain, but there you go!

Romney certainly has his faults, but Cain takes the cake.

Hey Cain, keep insulting and smearing Gov. Perry and all of the Illegals (that vote!) and the Mexican LEGALS and see where you are going to land. Oh, do I need to mention that Mexicans don’t like Blacks? So keep insulting them out of one corner of your mouth, while with the other corner ask for their vote.

I am furious with Cain!!

He reminds me of when you meet a new boyfriend and Wow! But good sense tells you to wait a while and you do and then the real person shows themselves and you say, glad I waited a while, forget him!!

Sorry HA posters, but this continuous smear against Gov. Perry by Cain has my Irish/German dander up:-)

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

You’re joking,right?

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Cain is not a flip flopper. He says what he really thinks, for good or bad.

If you listen again to what he said about not supporting Perry for the nomination, he said “today.” Today Perry is not the nominee. I will grant you that Cain needs to learn to phrase his opinions in a more exact way. He tends to assume people know what he means from his past statements and record. But that is not the same thing as flip flopping.

He had said repeatedly that he would support anyone over Obama. He was saying he would not support today Perry as the nominee, meaning for the nomination. And he repeated afterwards that he would support Perry over Obama.

We can’t crucify Perry, Cain or any of our conservatives if they don’t parse their words properly or make a mistake. We don’t need perfection to win against Obama.

The person who “asked” Cain to be Perry’s VP was Perry, who picked Cain and Newt during the debate. Cain was not being conceited.

And Cain has every right to not want to be on a ticket with someone who has some stances he disagrees with. Last week he called Perry a good governor. He is not attacking insulting or smearing Perry by saying he wouldn’t want to be his VP. He was asked a question and gave his honest answer that he is entitled to.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

You’re joking,right?

No, I’m not. It is an extreme example to make a point. No one has to support someone based on party because a party label is just that: a lable. A letter next to your name that tells me absolutely nothing about what your real convictions are.

I’m not a Herman Cain groupie. To be honest, I’m not thrilled with any of these candidates. They all have their flaws. Perry’s are worse than the others. How is it “smearing” illegal immigrants to call them illegal? Is it wrong to want to reserve the privileges of citizenship for… citizens? Is it wrong to hope that if one is going to tout job creation as his greatest accomplishment, that those jobs go to Americans?

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Who’s the racist now???

This man doesn’t even deserve to be considered for any nomination. Going from one racist black man to another would completely destroy the country. Cain needs to go back to flipping pizza dough. I see these two are following in the homie footsteps of Martin Luther King, who was the King Racist. “I have a dream my ass.” His dream was for blacks to rule the world.

stacman on October 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Who’s the racist now???

I think you answered your own question.

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Ditto. Frankly, I don’t even know what the poster was even talking about.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Cain, a man after my own heart

Oh yeah, he’s Romney’s boy for sure
bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Careful how you use the word ‘boy’

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

The N-Rock smear was a smear and from what I can gather, it wasn’t started by Cain. Cain does not mention the N-Rock as part of his objection to Perry. Perry created his own immigration problem

This is not a smear.

Calling citizens ‘heartless’ for mot wanting to pay college for illegal aliens when Americans are jobless, and getting killed by college student loans, that is a smear. Half of all college students do not get college related employment now when they graduate due to competition for shrinking jobs, and Perry wants to put illegals through college

Heck, most Americans do not want illegal aliens in the country. That is why the laws on border and immigration have not been revoked. Politicians wouldn’t dare.

entagor on October 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I don’t have time right now, but I have posted at length exactly what Cain’s original remarks have been and his backtracking. When I have time, I’ll post the links to them.

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I’ve read them and your assumptions and interpretations are flawed.

Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

athenanyc on October 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info!

Badger40 on October 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM

entagor on October 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I use the term boy, just the same as sidekick, supporter or attack dog. The meaning for me is he’s a helper of Romney’s. When Cain was in the first debate, he and Newt were the only ones not attacking Gov. Perry. What happened between that time and the next time? I’ll post the links so you can read my reading of his remarks along with links to the articles as I told Elisa.

They will show you that you are wrong in assuming this “rock” issue.

You also do not have a correct understanding on the In-State Tuition issue and how and where the funds come from. I’ll give you some info on that as well.

I don’t mind comparing apples to apples, but trying to compare apples to oranges isn’t going to work. That’s been the problem in trying to discuss issues; everyone is talking about opinions, 1/2 truths and bits & pieces of policies and it’s hard to get on the same page.

We all agree that the Immigration Issue needs resolved. But we have a disagreement when we think that Texas, along with the Border States need to solve it. Just as the crowd demostrating on Wall Street when they should be marching on D.C., specifically on the W.H.

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Poll: Cain surges, opens up 20-point lead on Romney

Here

right2bright on October 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM

And here is why — fundamental issue of fair play:

Cain said that while he hasn’t “totally gone through all of [Perry's] positions, but a lot of positions I have questions with” including “being soft on the border, issues relative to tuition for children of illegal aliens.”

Perry and TX state legislature may have been current opinion ten years ago, but not now. Check Alabama vote for current opinion.

fred5678 on October 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM
I’ve read them and your assumptions and interpretations are flawed.

Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree.

Elisa on October 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

What I documented with the links of Videos and TV appearances and Cain’s statements before, during and after were not “my assumptions nor interpretations”. Those were the facts. You can call the facts flawed if you like.

If you choose to disagree with that, then you are free to do so. But you are not disagreeing with me as all I have done is provide the facts.

bluefox on October 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM