Breaking: Palin not running for president; Update: Audio added; Update: A smart call

posted at 6:13 pm on October 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

All I have at the moment is this tweet from Mark Levin:

BREAKING: GOVERNOR SARAH PALIN TELLS MARK LEVIN SHE IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012.

No audio yet. Stand by for updates.

Update: Full statement from ABC:

October 5, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
After much prayer and serious consideration, I have decided that I will not be seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for President of the United States. As always, my family comes first and obviously Todd and I put great consideration into family life before making this decision. When we serve, we devote ourselves to God, family and country. My decision maintains this order.

My decision is based upon a review of what common sense Conservatives and Independents have accomplished, especially over the last year. I believe that at this time I can be more effective in a decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office – from the nation’s governors to Congressional seats and the Presidency. We need to continue to actively and aggressively help those who will stop the “fundamental transformation” of our nation and instead seek the restoration of our greatness, our goodness and our constitutional republic based on the rule of law.

From the bottom of my heart I thank those who have supported me and defended my record throughout the years, and encouraged me to run for President. Know that by working together we can bring this country back – and as I’ve always said, one doesn’t need a title to help do it.

I will continue driving the discussion for freedom and free markets, including in the race for President where our candidates must embrace immediate action toward energy independence through domestic resource developments of conventional energy sources, along with renewables. We must reduce tax burdens and onerous regulations that kill American industry, and our candidates must always push to minimize government to strengthen the economy and allow the private sector to create jobs.

Those will be our priorities so Americans can be confident that a smaller, smarter government that is truly of the people, by the people, and for the people can better serve this most exceptional nation.

In the coming weeks I will help coordinate strategies to assist in replacing the President, re-taking the Senate, and maintaining the House.

Thank you again for all your support. Let’s unite to restore this country!

God bless America.

– Sarah Palin

Apparently she told Levin that she’s ruled out a third-party bid as well.

Update: Here’s the audio of her interview with Levin.

Update: In case the link above isn’t working for you, the Right Scoop also has audio of the interview.

Update: She did the smart thing by staying out. Just yesterday, CBS found that three out of four Republicans didn’t want her to run compared to just 23 percent who did. Her favorable numbers have been underwater for ages and she would have been hammered on the inexperience charge for failing to finish her term as governor. I do think she could have emerged as the “Not Romney” in the race over Cain and a weakened Perry, but realistically there was no way to beat Mitt once it was a binary choice. His campaign pockets are too deep and undecided Republicans are too desperate to beat The One to roll the dice on a nominee who’s arguably unelectable. Once Christie decided not to get in and split the centrist vote with Romney, there was no obvious path for her (which may explain the timing of her announcement today). Worse, there was a chance that she wouldn’t even emerge as the “Not Romney”: If Perry or Cain ended up faring better than her in Iowa or South Carolina, it would have shattered her mystique as the ultimate champion of grassroots conservatives. By staying out, her supporters now get to say “she would have won if she ran” without ever having to test their theory and she gets to kinda sorta play kingmaker as people wait to see if she’ll endorse Perry, Cain, or (gasp) Romney. And who knows? Maybe she’ll focus now on challenging Begich for Senate in Alaska in 2014, which would be a huge first step back towards national viability down the road. She’s 47 years old, fully 25 years younger than McCain was when he was nominated three years ago. No rush.

Update: Perry issues a brief statement: “Sarah Palin is a good friend, a great American and a true patriot. I respect her decision and know she will continue to be a strong voice for conservative values and needed change in Washington.”

Update: My guess is that Cain benefits the most from her absence. Like her, he’s a Beltway outsider, and like her, he seems like a real person, not a talking-points machine like the Romneybot or a back-slapping gladhander like Perry. Authenticity has always been key to Palin’s appeal among her supporters and that’s Cain all over. Besides, where else could her supporters go realistically? Romney’s too centrist and Bachmann’s a lost cause. And Perry’s been knocked by Palin (sometimes by name, sometimes not) for both his crony-capitalist tendencies and his Gardasil initiative, so unless she ends up endorsing him, there’s every reason for her fans to think he’s a nonstarter. My hunch is that some of them also resent Perry (and to a lesser degree Bachmann) for having jumped in before her, since they split the bloc of grassroots conservative votes that might otherwise have gone entirely to her. In a straight-up Romney/Palin race, with no big donors having migrated to Perry and no social conservatives in Iowa having migrated to Bachmann, maybe she could have pulled the upset. But not now.

Update: “It’s the sun rising in the east.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 22

Am I supposed to be shocked?

Mark1971 on October 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

It was just on FOX.

scalleywag on October 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Just heard it on Fox. Apparently she said it on Mark Levin’s show today.

TxAnn56 on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

No schadenfreude in it. Let the lady be a great powerbroker and may she support the best person to beat Obama.

Schadenfreude on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

First…TOLD YA!!!

LordMaximus on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Wait, hold on just a minute now!
I’ve read right here on this very blog from many Palinistas that she is definitely running.

ButterflyDragon on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Time to Cowboy up – Perry it is than.

Dr Evil on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Levin asked her if she would consider 3rd party run. She said no as doing so would guarantee Obama’s re-election.

BardMan on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Mark Levin is interviewing Sarah on his radio show right now.

wren on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Would like to have seen her run, however I’m glad she has made her decision.

CliffHanger on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

good. i like her as our hot cheerleader anywayz. more valuable to the party and conservatism that way.

sbvft contributor on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

AP, you got linked on an Andrew Sullivan article today from the Daily Beast I think it was.

scalleywag on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I don’t know whether to offer AP congratulations or condolences.

Christien on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Just heard it on Fox. Apparently she said it on Mark Levin’s show today.

TxAnn56 on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

She’s on right now on Levin..

sandee on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

She was pawn in this whole thing a did well….her strength will be a position in the next adminstration assuming it’s not Romney

LordMaximus on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Post of the year.

IR-MN on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

:-(

catwrangler on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Finally. Not surprised.

Vigilante on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

PALIN:

amerpundit on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Thanks Allah…it’s going to be a humdinger of a thread methinks

Romney v Perry v Cain

Let’s Roll!

cmsinaz on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Oh my, look My head did not explode! Amazing I am not freaking out! Guess what I am still going to vote.

IowaWoman on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Live right now. Glad she’s talking with Levin and not Romney fan Hannity.

Marcus on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

ROFL!!!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Looks like I’ll be sticking with Cain.

Palinista heads are exploding as we speak.

knob on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Best decision she has made. The goal is to boot The One from office. Unfortunately, she is still tainted from 2008 and would alienate voters. Maybe a cabinet position would be in her future for her work for the selected candidate.

Mallard T. Drake on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

She will be an awesome voice to get the vote out in 2012…

cmsinaz on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

The fight for her endorsement begins.

Ronnie on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

99999 posts or bust, too.

knob on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*Resumes crying over Christie not running…*

nickj116 on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

By not running NOW, she is increasing her chance of winning in November 2012.

Apologetic California on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

well its over for the time being, now lets find a candidate send that SCOAMF back to chi-town.

chasdal on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Knew it.

Called it.

I don’t blame you, Sarah.

portlandon on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Glad. Now the anti palin people need to put up as to why there candidates are better.

William Amos on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

She’s certainly a class act…

sandee on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I’m not suprised ..I was thinking that she was not!..:)

Dire Straits on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Let SP be a secretary of the best kind, or a power-broker for all she stands for.

To all her supporters, please continue to fight with the same passion. The country needs you. She’s at a pivot and can go either way, the bad way not to be reversible after one more term with Obama, unrestricted.

Schadenfreude on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Palin 2016!

BobMbx on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Last Hot Air 2000 comment post!

Vigilante on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Disappointing, but good luck to her all the same.

Here’s hoping Cain can go the distance and polish himself a bit more.

MadisonConservative on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

She could have really done well, but family has to come first. It’s time to go to war with the what we have, not with what we wish we had.

pookysgirl on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Wish she would have run. I will always support her.

Maybe now, the three stooges (csdeven, cw and one other slapnuts who I forget right now) will stop acting like dishonest deadbeat liberals, foaming at the mouth.

BruthaMan on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

She’s certainly a class act…

sandee on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

She sounds really good in the interview..:)

Dire Straits on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Maybe I can be a Palin supporter with out being called names now. :~)

IowaWoman on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Apparently she told Levin that she’s ruled out a third-party bid as well.

Another good conclusion. There are no winners for conservatives if there is a third party dividing the vote. Remain on target: clean the White House of the socialists.

Mallard T. Drake on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

This wasn’t news 6 months ago.

Paging Kataclysmic, darwin and idesign. Should any of them appear, I would like us all to give them our full attention. Each of them has an important announcement that they would like to make :-)

MJBrutus on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Wow, this pretty much screws the nightly QOTD post from now until at least 2015. What to do, what to do….

joejm65 on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

A lot of people on HotAir said she would be the next President.

A lot of HotAir posters were SO sure she’d run – that they even vowed to stop posting on HotAir if she didn’t run.

Hmmm … we’ll see.

HondaV65 on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

All aboard the Cain Train … this Palinista’s glad the wait is over.

elcapt on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Apologetic California on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

that is way funny, but no need to rub salt in the wound. as much as i slammed the ‘nistas i dont want this to be too hurtful for them. its one thing to rag them its a whole ‘nother to gloat

chasdal on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Cain.

Key West Reader on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Has Chris Christie changed his mind about running.

WashJeff on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

As a somewhat “Palinista,” I wish she would have run, but I will still vote and I’m still focused on getting Obama OUT in 2012. God bless you Mrs. Palin!

UnderstandingisPower on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

She has positioned herself to make a more powerful difference in this race then people realize.

Hopefully she can be involved in the next administration as Energy Secretary.

WhoU4 on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

My prediction was wrong. I predicted she wouldn’t run, but also would not announce her non-candidacy. Kudos to Palin for not stringing us along.

stefanite on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

The Ballad of the Lost Campaign
(With apologies to Leonard Cohen)

Say a prayer for the Nista, her world’s come apart
Her campaign has ended before it could start
A glorious struggle she’s sure could be won
Has been terminated
Before it’s begun.

The groundwork was carefully put into place
Her candidate soon would jump into the race
But the words she had hoped that she never would hear
Were in front of her now
And they were her worst fear.

To the crestfallen thousands who asked to be led
“A title’s not needed,” her heroine said
Anyone but Obama would still be the goal
But becoming that someone
Would not be her role.

So our Nista is left to examine her plight
Bereft of a cause that had just seemed so right
How will she decide which new course she should choose?
Will the answer appear?
Will it be on Fox News?

Say a prayer for the Niiista.

Barnestormer on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Great, so now what?

Note to self: “Invest in noseplug stocks”

eyesky on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

AOBO…

sandee on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Bummer. But she’s not dead. Go Sarah, kick their ass!

Western_Civ on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Freakin’ finally.

KingGold on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

The Palinistas will never accept this. They’ll be waiting for her to storm the convention stage and steal the mic from Mitt when he’s giving his acceptance speech.

Mark1971 on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Dire Straits on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

i was leaning towards her going that way as well…

I’m leaning towards Perry now, want to see how he does in the next debate…Cain is 2nd for me, Romney 3rd…

cmsinaz on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I would certainly never say I told you so , but it was not rocket science. Put down the razors, and start supporting a conservative who is actually running.

Southernblogger on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yeah – now we have chance to win back the white house!

dpierson on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Good that she did it on Levin, it’s loyal, and it’ll be good for his ratings/visibility.

Smart move for Sarah.

aquaviva on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

That was a very nice statement.

gophergirl on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

A lot of people on HotAir said she would be the next President.

Hmmm … we’ll see.

HondaV65 on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Please admit, if they left we’d all miss them.

Key West Reader on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

673rd!

NotCoach on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

BruthaMan on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

i have a similar hope that the rabid ‘nistas will stop some of their dishonest leftist attacks on the candidates.

chasdal on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Heh.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Bill Kristol – breathes sigh of relief

LordMaximus on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

MJBrutus on October 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Boy Howdy!..:)

Dire Straits on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Schadenfreude on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Agreed!!!

idesign on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

It’s time to go to war with the what we have, not with what we wish we had.

pookysgirl on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

hear hear

cmsinaz on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Mark1971 on October 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Thats Kanye’s shtick.

BobMbx on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Well that’s a bummer.

Now I’ll take a look at whoever is left that I can support I guess.

powerpro on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I’m looking forward to her being our next director of the EPA or Energy Secretary…………….or both.

kakypat on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I hate to be mean, but where is Steebo77 and all the rest?

It’s time to pick amongst the current candidates.

Monkeytoe on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Bill Kristol – breathes sigh of relief

LordMaximus on October 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

As I have been stating for months…this is what she will be great at, and whomever gets her blessing, will win the nomination.

right2bright on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Allahpundit,

Given your obvious hostility toward Palin, I am surprised you aren’t celebrating with the Humpbot.

DeathB4Tyranny on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

It’s going to be a rough night at C4P.

portlandon on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

HOLY SHIZNATCH.

Lucky I wore my loin girders. I am now holding on for the 2,000 post.

I smell blood.

Bishop on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

ButterflyDragon on October 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Go to the corner and repent. You don’t have to be mean. Her supporters are good people and the country needs them.

She’s not running for a 3rd party either, for which I respect her even more. Now she can really unleash her distaste for the elites on both sides. Both need to be cleaned out, shoveled out of Congress, from the left to the right. 2012 should be the year of cleaning out the manure from one spectrum to the other.

Schadenfreude on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

So it begins.

MeatHeadinCA on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Obama spotted holding his knees in a closet (near mooch quarters) shuddering and wondering just how bad the landslide against him will be.

Key West Reader on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Knew it.

Called it.

I don’t blame you, Sarah.

portlandon on October 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

That is hilarious!

Oh my, haven’t had such a good laugh in a long long time…

Yeah you called it, alright.

Too funny.

petunia on October 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Heart Break.

El_Terrible on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

She needs to just keep on doing what she’s been doing… and there’s no one out there who can do it like she does. I’m sure it was a difficult decision and I’m sure if it was something she really wanted to do she would have jumped in earlier. When she didn’t, Bachmann jumped in and tried to replicate her and we see how that worked.

scalleywag on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Now if she would just stop hurting the actual Republican candidates from her position in the peanut gallery, thus handing the election to Obama, that would be nice…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Quick… Someone get a suicide watch over to Unseen’s, Steebo, etc. houses.

For good or Ill, I’m glad our long wait is over.
I’d have been glad if she ran, but now at least we can quit playing the silly ‘will she or won’t she games.

LegendHasIt on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Will she at least endorse a non-Romney candidate?

El_Terrible on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Thought so.

Mr. Joe on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

99999 posts or bust, too.
knob on October 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I gather you’re a Cain supporter. The 9-9-9 plan on steroids:)

Buy Danish on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Kinda sorta but not really O/T: I wonder if T-Paw is kicking himself for getting out when he did.

TxAnn56 on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Mallard T. Drake on October 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Amen! For some strange reason, she has been toxic to Independent voters, and if she won the nomination, she would hand the election to Obama.

But she does have proven expertise in energy policy, and could be an excellent Energy or Interior Secretary in the next President’s Administration.

Steve Z on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Congratulations Allahpundit!

Finally, after > 1 million meaningless “Will Palin run” or “Won’t Palin run” you finally posted the one that mattered…

Okay, so a little hyperbole…

After > 500 thousand Palin posts, we finally get the one that matters.

Take the night off & get yourself a beer. You earned it!

Danny on October 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM