Video: Rumsfeld’s interview with Al Jazeera turns out exactly as well as you’d expect

posted at 7:26 pm on October 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

Who could have guessed that a chat between the Arab world’s leading news channel and one of the architects of the Iraq war might turn contentious? Here’s Rumsfeld with the “irascible grandpa” meter turned up to 11, to the point where I half-expected him to take off his coat and start doing one-armed pushups Palance-style. In a way, it’s reassuring: So thoroughly has Al Jazeera mastered the western cable-news idiom that they’re even showcasing O’Reilly-esque shoutfest interviews. (The clip was posted to YouTube by the network itself, not a viewer.) On the other hand, this comes perilously close at times to lapsing into some sort of troop-levels version of “who’s on first.” More yelling, less shtick!

Comments

Rummy didn’t see this one coming?

Mr. Joe on October 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Rummy should have peppered his responses with salty arabic insults. Like you smell like a camel or are related to mangey goats.

Mr. Joe on October 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

‘Value of Human Life’
-Rumsfeld
==============

Well,ya,they are a Death culture,blown themselves
up into tiny little pieces of…..

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

‘True to Form’
-Rumsfeld
============

Rummy nailed that one!

Agenda Revisionist history!!

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

This is why I love AP :-)

ulyses on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I hate Al Jizz.

Blake on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I bet the interviewer was fantasizing about cutting off Rummy’s head with a dull knife.
Rummy has testosterone, still, at his old age.
That, and he is definitely an alpha male.

Might explain AP’s Jack Palance doing one armed push ups.
Which was funny, by the way.

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis were murdered by terrorists – not the US.

Blake on October 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

This is CNN/MSNBC/ABC/Democracy Now,and any other Lefty
news source,that utelizes the same tactic,on Team Right!

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

start doing one-armed pushups Palance-style

“I crap bigger’n you.”

peski on October 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

“irascible grandpa”

Exactly. I admire Rummy, however if didn’t know going in how their questions would be framed and prepare accordingly, then he should’ve simply declined the invitation. Simple.

CliffHanger on October 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

That, and he is definitely an alpha male.

Might explain AP’s Jack Palance doing one armed push ups.
Which was funny, by the way.

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

carbon_footprint:Great anology,I remember watching Palance
one arm push ups,live.And Team Right needs
to back these type interviewers into the co
rner to expose their political gotcha agendas!:)

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Rummy should have laughed at him.

“Oh, come on, ask a serious question.”

Laugh again.

Repeat as needed.

Wethal on October 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

The day that Al-Jazeera can take that tone with their raghead overlords and get away with it is the day I take them seriously. Otherwise they’re just Islamic infiltrators wearing the disguise of modernity.

Fortunata on October 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Mr. Joe on October 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Or brought a big bag of pork rinds to munch on during the interview.

malclave on October 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

O/T
=====
Via Drudge!

CBSNEWS POLL: CAIN CATCHES ROMNEY
**********************************

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Man, is that going to piss the LSM/Establishment/Libs off!

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM

We don’t secure OUR BORDERS, why should we secure IRAQS

400lb Gorilla on October 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM

We don’t secure OUR BORDERS, why should we secure IRAQS

400lb Gorilla on October 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I had the same exact thought, glad you posted it.

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I have to say, the interviewer is doing nothing wrong in this clip. The question about whether or not the US went into Iraq with enough forces to secure the country is a very valid one. Rumsfeld is trying to evade the question because he knows what the correct answer is.

Mark1971 on October 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

The clip was posted to YouTube by the network itself, not a viewer.

That puts them head and shoulders above most left-wing American news outlets.

sharrukin on October 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Death worshiping dogs! We should’ve taken the nuclear gloves off and showed you what jihad’s all about!

Eeeeee… We interrupt this interview to bring you Islam’s Best Home Beheadings.

Feedie on October 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Now, are these the questions I was really called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me their lawyer hasn’t pinned their hopes to a phone bill.

BobMbx on October 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Al Jizz just “laid off” the guy who made them what they are.(fine Taqiyah merchants) Replaced by some member of the royal family. What could go wrong?

BL@KBIRD on October 4, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20

Rummy did answer the question- I gave the commanders what they wanted.

gdonovan on October 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Rummy: Listen punk, we let Iraq off easy, we didn’t firebomb yer primitive asses. This was war, damnit! Ask Tokyo and Dresden about how wars are really fought and won and I think you’ll see you made out pretty effin well.

Alden Pyle on October 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM

al-Jazeera falls into the category Known-Known.

Nice to see Donald treat this guy accordingly.

Christien on October 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I love Rumsfeld and I enjoyed this.

Yeah.. so I’m watching some TV (which I seldom ever do) late one night.. and what do I see on my channels? The Freaking Al Jaseera Propaganda channel. Then I remembered… Obama wanted this horse manure. I remember reading some time back Obama felt it wasn’t right we weren’t watching enough Al Jaseera Horse manure. So now it’s defiled my Dish.

JellyToast on October 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Cop a ‘tude and raise your voice at your guest, then hide behind your network’s “integrity.” Yeah, like that’ll protect you from getting a beatdown by Donald.

Christien on October 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, here it is. Feb. 2011.

Obama Administration Official Urges Cable Providers to Carry Al-Jazeera

I mean.. is there anyone really left in America that doesn’t know who and what Obama is?

JellyToast on October 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I like the way Rummy shut him up.

mixplix on October 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Mark1971 on October 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I wonder if the US went into Libya with enough forces to secure the country.

blink on October 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

TOUCHDOWN!

Wait, I thought we were going to stop….er, I mean, pacify….er, I mean , well, whatever the Libian mission was, we were supposed to do it in 6 days (if I recall what Obama said at the start). There was just no way to get our troops there fast enough!

MikeM on October 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Could only watch half. I saw a real man vs a little sissy. He sat there clutching his vajay as only a lib can while Rumsfeld talked calmly and convincingly. Why would rummy even try? Because just like me, you think you can have a reasonable conversation with idiots.

arnold ziffel on October 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I haven’t seen diapers loaded like his questions.

shick on October 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Hey muzzo

you are fortunate enough to be able to interview me here than possibly be blowing in the wind as ash which was a distinct possibilty when we considered the options

Sonosam on October 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM
==========================
Man, is that going to piss the LSM/Establishment/Libs off!

carbon_footprint on October 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM

carbon_footprint:Tru dat….saddle,er,buckle up:)

canopfor on October 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Mark1971 on October 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Absolutely wrong – Rummy HATES Al Jazeera. He views Al Jazeera as a tool of terrorism … a political arm of extremism.

And – he’s right.

When he agreed to do this interview – I’m sure he went into it with one goal – to be combative. There was absolutely no way he was going to sit there like a sheep at the slaughter. He knew what he was doing.

And yes – we had enough troops.

HondaV65 on October 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

rummy would be grrrrrreat potus!

reliapundit on October 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM

You go into Al Jazerra with the interviewer you’ve got.

Buck Turgidson on October 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Good one, Rummy. He basically asked a “so have you stopped beating your wife” question, and Rummy called him on it.

“Did the number of troops you went into Iraq with absolve you of the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi’s killed by coalition troops and the criminals you just talked about?”

f@#$wit al-scumbagga interviewer.

Midas on October 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I’ve never understod this. When any conservative goes into an interview KNOWING it’s going to be hostile – on Al Jezeera, NBC, or whereever – why doesn’t he take his own camera crew, have them set up, and just start interviewing the interviewer? There’s no law against it.

I mean, even if the self-proclaimed “Gods of Free Speech” run away squealing like little girls and hiding their faces, you’ve still got awesome footage to post wherever you want – edited by YOU instead of your rabid enemies.

It’s been decades since there were only a handful of media outlets who had to be appeased if you wanted to be seen. There is no longer any need whatsoever to treat these bottom-feeding morons like some kind of Superior Beings just because they call themselves “journalists.” But it seems like so many people don’t have a clue how the media works these days.

logis on October 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM

No clicks for Al Jazeera. Period.

Connie on October 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Oh yeah the old man still got it in him.

Kenosha Kid on October 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM

HondaV65 on October 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

After years of experience with the US media, it was nothing new anyway.

Feedie on October 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Yeah, im not a fan of Alljizzarea.

esnap on October 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM

WELL…according to JOE SCARBROUGH…Al Jazeera and MSNBC are the only REAL news outlets..that’s gotta count for something…right…?

therightwinger on October 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Did he ask Rumsfeld about WTC 7?

iamse7en on October 5, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Did he ask Rumsfeld about WTC 7?

iamse7en on October 5, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Other than the shape of your head, do you have a point?

SKYFOX on October 5, 2011 at 5:59 AM

I did think that we should have sealed the border better. Especially in the lead up to Iraq. I will never forget the report of the flat bed trucks going to Syria from Iraq. Who knows what was on them, but it shouldn’t have made it.

That being said, if they simply asked the military what was needed and they gave what was asked for, then it is a military miscalculation which flows up to the commander in chief.

jeffn21 on October 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Should be a question for Turkey as they did not allow the 4th Division to attack from there as originally planned.

Elbar on October 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM