Samuel L. Jackson echoes Morgan Freeman, says Tea Party racism is obvious

posted at 6:05 pm on October 4, 2011 by Tina Korbe

No matter how poorly the economy performs, no matter how many scandals surround the administration, no matter how weakly the president’s jobs plan is received by legislators and the public, Samuel L. Jackson can see no reason why the Tea Party might oppose Barack Obama’s reelection other than race. From an interview with New York Magazine:

While we were on the subject, we asked Jackson if he agreed with fellow thespian Morgan Freeman, who caused something of a ruckus recently after he claimed that the tea party is racist. “It’s pretty obvious what they are,” Jackson told us. “The division of the country is not about the government having too much power. I think everything right now is geared toward getting that guy out of office, whatever that means,” he said, echoing Freeman. “It’s not politics. It is not economics. It all boils down to pretty much to race. It is a shame.”

But my question is: If even after Obama does have a record on which to run, if even after he’s no longer campaigning strictly on appearance and charisma, if even then “it all boils down pretty much to race,” when does it not? Will Obama’s race always be the scapegoat for disapproval of his ineffective administration, will his race always blind his supporters to the reality of all that’s wrong with the policies he’s advanced? When will we ever advance into a post-racial society?

Also in the Jackson interview, the actor said he wasn’t surprised to learn of the Perry hunting camp scandal. “I grew up in the segregated South; nothing surprised me. That’s not surprising at all.” Jackson even suggested the scandal might help Perry score points in some quarters. I happen to be in the camp that regards WaPo’s “bombshell” as a hit piece and a scandal of overblown proportions, but, nevertheless, I hope it’s not true that the now-erased name of a camp Perry’s family occasionally leased might be cause for celebration among some rather than cause for concern and denouncement. But the half of me that recognizes the persistent irrationality and vengefulness that often plague human hearts suggests Jackson’s statements might have some truth. Once again, I am reminded of just how keenly our past experiences shape our present opinions, of the truth that true racism has and does exist.

But calling what is not racism — what is actually the discernment of policy causes and effects, the discernment of leadership potential and demonstrated ability — by that word devalues the word itself and leaves us all at a loss as to how to describe and censure true discrimination.

Tea Party activist Ali Akbar has invited Morgan Freeman to experience the Tea Party for himself and has encouraged other Tea Partiers to send Morgan Freeman a message and a Gadsden flag at the website YourMoveMorgan.com. No word yet as to whether Freeman has accepted that invitation, but, with that invitation, Freeman has the opportunity to lead the conversation in a constructive direction — away from the inflammatory topic of race and toward the questions of just what kind of a society we really do want to be.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What did you expect from the mouth of Samuel L Jackson? A peroration on quantum mechanics? And why bother quoting imbeciles like this? How about “deep thinkers” like Charlie Sheen?

MaiDee on October 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM

From Jackson’s Wikipedia entry:

After previously overdosing on heroin several times, Jackson gave up the drug in favor of cocaine

‘Nuff said.

Crusty on October 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Jackson is the racist.

tx2654 on October 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Samuel Jackson and Morgan Freeman think the Tea Party (Americans) who opposed Obama’s OBVIOULY FAILED Policies, record-setting deficit-spending, equally large and growing unemployment rate, etc are a bunch of racists.

Know what? Their opinion, and about $6, can get me a cup of java at Starbucks. And the media reports Hollywood celebrity opinions like they should somehow matter more than anyone else’s opinions. Jackson and Freeman are paid to entertain me – it’s their job, no different than my plumber’s job is to fix a leak in my pipes. Jackson’s opinion is no more important than the opinion of my plumber.

The Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) just recently said what Jackson and Freeman would never admit publicly: “Unhappy members of the Congressional Black Caucus probably would be marching on the White House if Obama were not president.”

CBC members have expressed concern in recent months as the unemployment rate has continued to rise amongst African-Americans, pushing for Obama to do more to address the needs of vulnerable communities. Cleaver went on to reiterate to the ‘Miami Herald’, “If [former President] Bill Clinton had been in the White House and had failed to address this problem, we probably would be marching on the White House.” Even more to the point, if ANY Republican President were in the White House right now, Democrats/Liberals would be calling for Impeachment proceedings and/or calling him the worst President EVER!

What is the difference between Obama and Clinton, though? Both are Liberal Democrat Presidents, but the most obvious is their COLOR! Giving anyone a ‘pass’ based on their color is just as racist as discriminating against someone because of their color. In the movie, ‘A time to Kill’ (mathew Mcconohey [spelling?]), at the very end he asked the white jury to imagine that the little girl that had been raped were white…and it changed their minds completely! So take this President’s complete body of work so far and then…imagine he was WHITE! Would Jackson and Freeman be defending THAT President just as much. While I do not know with certainty, I would bet my paycheck for a month that they wouldn’t! And if THAT was the case, who would be the REAL ‘racists’ here?! In the end again, who cares what their opinion may be – they’re actors. Hey Jackson/Freeman, do your jobs – entertain me!

easyt65 on October 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM

We will never be a post-racial society as long as people like Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackon — who, despite being only actors, are still voices that people listen to — are determined to accept the easy trope of race when it comes to criticism of, and objection to, Barack Obama’s policies. This attitude absolves black people of any responsibility when they make bad choices. “It’s not my fault when I fail, it’s white America’s fault because they’re all racist.” See how easy (and intellectually lazy) that is?

RebeccaH on October 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Remember, both of these guys left Main Street American at least 30 years ago. They literally haven’t lived the same reality the rest of us have for most of their adult lives.

J.E. Dyer on October 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Well golly. 2 black Hollywood stars professing they are black 1st, and anything else 2nd.
What a surprise.//////////////

Badger40 on October 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM

While we were on the subject, we asked Jackson if he agreed with fellow thespian Morgan Freeman, who caused something of a ruckus recently after he claimed that the tea party is racist. “It’s pretty obvious what they are,” Jackson told us.

they asked this to a black, liberal, hollywood actor. Did they really expect an answer other than what they got? I dont think so.
and i’m not going to stick out my lip and grumble “i’ll never watch Jackson again” and stomp my foot and say “THERE.” That’s because i dont watch hollywood mind rot anyway. if hollywood depended on my for its survival it would have dried up and blown away decades ago.

abcurtis on October 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You’re damn right there’s still racism running rampant, and it starts (as it does here) with the “blacks/African American’s/homies” towards whites. Just ask (or should I say ax?) the new Black Panthers what they think of the whitie.

Give the debate a rest already. It’s there, it has always been there, and it always will be. The debate can start again when a black panther tries to intimidate a CCW authorized whitie while they’re trying to vote, and is shot between the eyes.

stacman on October 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Within the last week or so, I have been forced to stop going to movies featuring either Morgan Freeman or Samuel L. Jackson. I don’t know how much more of this racist cr@% I can take.

maryo on October 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM

The boy man who cried racist.

(Apparently the word “boy” is racist as well)

scotash on October 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Think he’s projecting alittle bit? Obama is named front and center. Nobody needs to dance around it, and nobody does. “That guy” is Jackson hearing things that are never said.

smfic on October 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Of course I make millions off my play acting but it still all be whitey’s fault and I want my reparations.

All hail Elijah Muhammad, and Zulu Shaboz

Kuffar on October 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM

And in all those roles where Samual L. played an “angry black man”, I thought he was acting…..silly me.

As Ringo sang,”…all I gotta do is act naturally!”

olesparkie on October 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM

How come Jackson says the word ni**er every fifth word in Quentin Tarantino movies?

ex Dem from Miami on October 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I am so sick of these no-nothing Hollywood types passing judgments on people they are barely aware of. Well, I for one will not spend another dime on his work. Period.

Flash: Apple announces Steve Jobs has passed away.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord,
And let Perpetual Light shine upon him.
May his Soul
And the Souls of all the faithful departed
Through the Mercy of God
Rest in Peace.
Amen.

Zorro on October 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM

What really sucks is Samuel Jackson is starring in the up coming The Avengers movie. Bummer!

Dasher on October 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Now I’m glad Anakin cut his arm off.

Kajonnes on October 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM

They call me Mr. Glass…houses apparently.

DrW on October 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM

That about does it for me….Sam and Morgan have proved that the real racism is with the black opportunist crowd! This will create a backlash over a long period of time.

tomshup on October 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Love both men and the talent that they bring to the screen (big and small). That said, they are as brainless and classless as any jerk I know, regardless of skin color.

What a disappointment. I thought they were both smarter than that.

itzWicks on October 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I saw an interview of Denzell Washington a few years ago where he said he often wonders how much BETTER he would have done in Hollywood if he had been a white boy. So, most of these minorities appear to have race on their minds 24/7 and really know how to carry a grudge.

Voting Black Barry into office did not have the effect the dumb self hating whites thought it would. Racial whining pays bigger dividends than assimilation so don’t expect it to end anytime soon.

UnEasyRider on October 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Let’s, Jackson is another Hollywood actor and he is a moron. Anyone sensing a pattern here?

woodNfish on October 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM

YOU, sir, are the racist. Not me.

I’m VERY tired of being called a racist when you have ZERO evidence of ANY racism on my part. May you ESAD soon, overpaid court jester.

Sponge on October 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM