Frontrunner: Cain now tied with Romney in new CBS national poll

posted at 8:03 pm on October 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

This is the fourth national poll in the past week to show him surging but the very first to have him in the lead. Amazing.

The poll shows Cain, who stood at just five percent support two weeks ago, now holding 17 percent support among Republican primary voters. That puts the former Godfather’s Pizza CEO into a tie with Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, whose support has essentially held steady over the past two weeks.

Perry, meanwhile, has dropped from 23 percent support to just 12 percent support over the past two weeks, a sign that the Texas governor’s shaky debate performances – in which he has alienated portions of both the Republican base and the party establishment – have taken their toll…

The CBS News poll shows Cain as the top choice among self-described conservatives, with 21 percent support. (Two weeks ago, he polled at just six percent with this group.) Romney polls in second among conservatives with 15 percent support, followed by Perry at 13 percent. Cain is also the top choice of Republican primary voters who support the Tea Party, polling at 24 percent to Romney’s 17 percent, Gingrich’s 13 percent and Perry’s 12 percent…

There is not a groundswell for the most prominent Republican still openly considering a run, 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, to jump in: Three in four Republican primary voters said they would not like to see her enter the race. Just 23 percent said they wanted to see a Palin candidacy.

Just 10 percent of Republican primary voters say they agree with Perry that children of illegals should be eligible for in-state tuition. Serious question: Has any Republican gone on to win the nomination by following Perry’s path here, jumping in late to great white-knight acclaim and then dropping precipitously in the polls after a series of disappointing early stumbles? Has anyone recovered from that dynamic or is the end result always a Fred-Thompson-esque sputter? I don’t think Team Perry would mind the new numbers if it were a simple matter of Perry falling back in the pack with Romney stuck at 20-25 percent, but they must be a bit worried that some conservatives are switching to Cain instead of reverting to the “don’t know” column. It’s easy to win people back who are undecided but it’ll take work to convince them after they’ve switched allegiances. Especially since, unlike Perry, Cain seems to be getting better as a candidate.

As for Romney, Cain has two big problems. The first is that 32 percent of those polled by CBS say Romney is most likely to beat Obama compared to just eight percent who say the same of Cain. (16 percent say Perry.) The second is, well, this:

With Governor Chris Christie confirming today that he won’t seek the presidency, some big-name donors are finally ready to commit themselves to Mitt Romney.

“A lot of us who normally would have been in this presidential race a long time ago, have been waiting for Christie to make a decision,” said Georgette Mosbacher, a Republican uber-fund-raiser and finance co-chair of the Republican National Committee who was among a group of Republican bundlers hoping to convince Christie to enter the race. “I think tomorrow, we’ll be contacting one another and probably put something together with Romney.”

“I’m going to go with Mitt Romney,” said John Catsimatidis, another donor who had been intrigued with Christie, in a brief phone interview this afternoon…

Mosbacher said the big bundlers in her circle “do not consider a Perry factor.”

Ken Langone, the billionaire who founded Home Depot and was pushing Christie hard to jump in, also said today that he’ll back Romney. Big question: Given the dynamics of the race, who should Perry attack now — Romney or Cain? He can’t afford to have Cain hang around the top tier or else the conservative vote will split, but if he attacks the most popular underdog in the race, he risks an even greater backlash. Ironically, I think his best bet now is to stay focused on Romney but push an electability argument of his own: Namely, that Cain simply doesn’t have the resources to compete with Romney over the long haul, so if you want to stop Mitt, there’s only one game in town. Sad that Perry might be reduced to selling himself asessentially the “Not Romney” in the race, but if it works, oh well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I love to see all the obama supporters out here to bash Mr Cain. Funny how that happens. I have seen some interesting posts as well. People actually curious about Mr. Cain. Some asking questions and doing their own research to them I say kudos to them. To the Obamanauts LOL keep trying to stop Mr Cain.

ColdWarrior57 on October 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I have been in such a funk over these bogus racism charges (and the fact that it was Texas Democrats, not our own Republican candidates, who finally came to Governor Perry’s aid) – but I gotta say, this made me laugh so hard…I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but thank you.

LMAO

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 2:38 AM

It is amazing isn’t it? Just crickets from the other Republican Candidates except Romney, and being johnny come lately he said it was “insensitive” or “offensive”, can’t remember. But he did come out with a new ad about Gov. Perry and lied as usual in that.

If you haven’t read my comment on this thread, it is here:

bluefox on October 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

This is a time line on what Cain did and what he should have done, and then finally done.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I’m not black, but I’m strongly offended when I hear people(including FNC anchors) acting as if Herman Cain is somehow remarkable or an anomoly. In fact, Herman Cain is truly the American success story and instead of questions like, “What do you think of Cain’s surprising success?” the question should be, How do we get people to be more like Herman Cain?

Mr. Grump on October 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Not to knock on you or anything, but Cain actually said that while the indicated word is offensive, he did NOT think that Perry was a racist, and in fact found him to be one of the most UN-racist people he knew. If anything, he deftly stepped around the trap the media set for him.

Disappointed, the media then lied, saying that he fell into the trap when he didn’t. Could he have been smoother with the way he approached it? Probably. But that doesn’t mean he fell into a trap.

wearyman on October 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM

No, it didn’t happen the way you said. This was posted on this thread:

This is what he said:

“For him to leave [the N-word] there as long as he did before I hear that they finally painted over it is just plain insensitive to a lot of black people in this country,” GOP candidate Herman Cain told Fox News, picking up the Democrats’ race card.
This is his climbdown (but not apology):

“All I said was the mere fact that that word was there was ‘insensitive,’” he said to reporters outside the Trump Tower Monday after meeting with Donald Trump according to National Review. “That’s not playing the race card. I am not attacking Gov. Perry. Some people in the media want to attack him. I’m done with the issue!”
He might be done with the issue, but, as a measure of his character, we should not!

JonPrichard on October 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Cain had TV appearances and Videos that show exactly what he said. Then after those were done and meeting with Trump on 10/2 Sunday afternoon, he tried to change what he had actually said. Not good.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The same 2/3 majority that will be written into the legislation. If there are 2/3 of BOTH houses and a President willing to raise the taxes, then, yes, they could be raised. But it would not be easy.

Elisa on October 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Would it take the same majorities to get it passed in the first place? If you know.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 12:58 PM

astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Why on earth are you commenting on a post that discusses who people might vote for? We all know you don’t want people who disagree with you to have the right to vote anyway….

People like you should get no vote.
astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Remember? Apologize.

runawayyyy on October 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Elisa on October 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

This is the timeline that I found and posted it on this thread:

I haven’t read any comments on this thread yet. What I have done is re-read the Washington Post’s original Article about this “rock”.

This article is dated 10/1/11, a Saturday. The WP talked to Gov. Perry prior to writing this and have detailed written explanations from him on the circumstances of this hunting lease/land & rock. That info is in the article and I missed it the first time.

Why then did Herman Cain disregard Gov. Perry’s explanation, plain to see for anyone that can read and smear Gov. Perry? He went on the Sunday shows, made Video Interviews and in all cases cast aspersions on Gov. Perry.

A mistake and exercising bad judgement is one thing, intentionally smearing another Republican Candidate is quite another.

bluefox on October 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

From the WP article: When asked last week, Perry said the word on the rock is an “offensive name that has no place in the modern world.” (And) In his responses to two rounds of detailed, written questions, Perry said ….(And) In response to follow-up questions, Perry gave a more detailed account….

Again, all of the above info and more is in the WP article, available for anyone to read if interested. If I could read it (the second time), then any Presidential Candidate could have too before doing what Cain did. After the smear hangs out for that length of time and then try to not admit a mistake or apologize, but rather say that you didn’t say what you said is very troubling.

After Cain went on the Sunday shows and made Videos then on Sunday afternoon (Oct 2) leaving his meeting with Trump, he changed his story and said what he didn’t say originally and on the TV/Video shows.

Cain also has not clarified his statement(on Video as well with CNN) that he would not support Gov. Perry if he were the Republican Nominee. That is still hanging out there.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 1:18 PM

ColdWarrior57 on October 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I think you’ll find the Obama Supporters on other sites. I’ll make a mental note to disregard anything further you have to say.

I’m sure no one has called you an Obama Supporter for not supporting any of the other Republican Candidates.

What a hateful thing to say.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM

bluefox, thank you for all your informative posts, and BKennedy, thank you for taking my remark in the spirit in which I intended it.

I’m watching a senior on Twitter right now who is very concerned that the 9-9-9 plan would put a tax on food. She’s retired, so some of the advantages of the plan don’t apply to her, and she’s worried that she’ll actually be taxed more (and she’s on a fixed income).

Does anyone know enough about the plan to confirm that food will be taxed?

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Does anyone know enough about the plan to confirm that food will be taxed?

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I don’t know, although it is possible.

Of course, one has to keep in mind that the 9% flat income tax on her fixed income would be less than the current convoluted mess that is the existing tax system, and her overall tax bill would likely be lighter. So at the end of the month she would have more left over anyway, even if she had to pay more for certain food items.

I know that my current tax level is around 30%, so my personal taxes would be cut roughly in half under Cain’s plan. No, I’m not rich either. (I’m just about dead-center middle class) so I’m all for it.

Keep in mind, some of the “taxes on food” and “fixed income people will pay more” stuff is being floated by Think Progress and their ilk. They are making claims that Cain is trying to hide certain details of his plan, and then making wild claims about these supposed “hidden details”, which, of course, you can’t find anywhere but through their font of secret knowledge.

Ask the lady where she heard about the “taxes on food” thing, because it’s almost certainly from a lefty source.

wearyman on October 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Does anyone know enough about the plan to confirm that food will be taxed?

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I don’t know cap. I have seen discussed a concern about the current Fed Income Tax and how and when this will be eliminated. Will it be in effect while the various phases of the 999 plan goes into effect? That 999 plan is very confusing to me and I prepare Fed/State/Local taxes and have for many years:-)

How will all of these tax plans be passed? Some say the plan sounds good, but is it really? How many years to have a Congress on board with it? We couldn’t even get the Senate to pass the CCB!

We’ve had the Fed Income Tax for many years and why no changes before this?

I have too many questions and not enough answers. Just as Romney says he’ll issue Obamacare waivers, ROFL Oh, so he has a magic wand that he can just use to waive Congressional Legislation and signed into law by a President.

Whether this 999 plan is feasible and the details, I don’t know. I’m not putting my money on it.

I’m looking for Integrity & Honesty in a Candidate, not plans per se:-) We’ve had a lot of “plans” come forth since 2008.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM

wearyman on October 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Just read your comments and it brought up something I hadn’t thot of. How will Social Security Benefits be taxed? Many on S.S. don’t pay Income Tax since they are below the taxable Income Guidelines.
That would be very important also. If they have to pay this 9% tax plus add’l taxes, I can see where the Retired people will be screaming!!

There are too many details. It may sound good for certain income groups, but will it work? I’d like to see a few well respected Federal/State/Local Tax Accountants review and offer an opinion.

If people are planning on voting for Cain due to this 999 plan, then they would be very wise to understand exactly what it entails and not depend on opinions.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM

wearyman on October 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

She said that Cain himself said this (and not just once) on Fox News. Apparently he was on this morning?

She’s a very bright woman – a conservative retired teacher – not at all someone prone to misunderstanding what she hears.

I don’t like the idea of taxing food, I’ll say that much.

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 4:48 PM

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM

You likely have already seen this, but this is an interesting piece on it:

Cain’s 9-9-9 plan has very real problems

Within:

In any event, Mr. Cain has not spelled out in any detail a spending proposal that would allow the federal government to get by on $2.2 trillion, much less on $1.7 trillion. If the Tea Party stands for anything, it stands for smaller government, meaning lower spending. And yet the allure of magical thinking on taxes is so powerful that the tea-party favorite has given a great deal more detail about his tax proposals, with actual figures and everything, than he has about his spending proposals, which remain remarkably vague: Spending must be “reviewed with a keen eye and a red pen,” he says. Well, gee willikers, why didn’t I think of that? (Other than his pie-in-the-sky growth assumptions, my least favorite thing about Herman Cain is that his response to every challenge is to appoint a committee of smart guys to do the right thing. He seems incapable of appreciating the fact that moral failing is not the only reason Washington fails to do the right thing.)

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM

You likely have already seen this, but this is an interesting piece on it:

Cain’s 9-9-9 plan has very real problems

capitalist piglet on October 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM

No, I haven’t. I will read it in a few minutes. I really haven’t read too much on this 999 plan, other than what HA posters have said. That should be something I need to do. I probably would have by now, but was stopped by a couple of things Cain has done and wanted to get to the bottom of those. If I can’t trust someone, then I write them off and lose interest in anything else they propose or have to say.

As it stands now, I would not support Cain, nor Romney. Lying & backstabbing and lack of intergrity turn me completely off.

I like Gov. Perry and trust him and think he’s an honest person, regardless of all of the “issues” that have been discussed. I feel the same way about Sarah Palin. My ticket is Gov. Perry as President, VP-his choice & Sarah Palin as Energy Secretary and the rest of his Cabinent is his choice:-)

On Cains 999 plan, I think there may be too too many devils in the details. I tend to look at it as an idea.

Thanks for the link and info:-) I do need to get busy gathering info and facts about this and some other Candidates’ positions & records since I plan on working with my R County Party.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM

What a hateful thing to say.

bluefox on October 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM
There is an old saying in the south ” when you toss a rock over a fence, only the hit dog yelps”.
thanks for the yelp bluefox.

ColdWarrior57 on October 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM

astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM

People like you should get no vote.
astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Remember? Apologize.

runawayyyy on October 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM

You still making a fool of yourself? I guess you got nothing at all in your life to do. It does not seem to show though. With all this time in your life, you have not added one shred of education to your mind in the 2 days. It goes to show why you should not be voting. If only you had the wisdom to know that you should abstain. Instead, it is up to people like me to remind you that your method of choosing a candidate leaves much to be desired. I know looks seems important to you, but really, good looks does not equate to a quality candidate. I understand you think that a candidate with charges of being gay is a total positive for you, but again, I know for a fact that quality just is not important in a chief executive. But, what I find really repulsive is your qualifications for a commander in chief being the willingness to trample upon and destroy the constitution to minutely third order of degree marginally improve our national security while simultaneously stripping citizen’s rights. Essentially, the Constitution is what creates the United States of America, the Constitution is what gives you the right to vote, and since you to do not think the constitution should be followed, it seems to follow that you should simply just not be voting.

astonerii on October 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM