Celebrated non-candidate calls press conference to … not run?

posted at 10:45 am on October 4, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

He’s in?

After days of silence over whether he’ll make a run for the White House, Gov. Chris Christie has called a press conference today in Trenton.

For the past week, speculation has been swirling as those close to Christie confirmed he was rethinking more than a year of denials that he won’t make a run.

Or … he’s out?

Today’s press conference was called through the governor’s office, setting off speculation by some that he will not announce a run for president today, and does not list a specific topic. It is not unusual for Christie to announce press conferences without including the subject matter.

Over at The Corner, Robert Costa hears … out:

New Jersey Republicans tell National Review Online that Gov. Chris Christie will not run for president. The governor, they predict, will make this clear at a press conference this afternoon.

Well, if he’s out, why call the press conference at all?  Christie has explicitly and repeatedly said he won’t jump into the race.  He could just let that stand.  Of course, he’s been trying to let that stand for weeks, and it hasn’t exactly tamped down speculation or kept Republican party leaders from beating a path to his door, either.

Maybe he just wants more people to know who he is:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is not well known to most Americans, including Republican primary voters, a new CBS News survey finds. Christie is considering a late entry into the race for the Republican presidential nomination and is expected to make a decision this week.

A full 70 percent of voters say they are undecided about Christie or haven’t heard enough about him, the poll found. Voters who did have an opinion of Christie were split, with 14 percent holding a favorable view and 15 percent holding an unfavorable view.

The WaPo/ABC poll shows a somewhat better name recognition level, but only moderate enthusiasm (pun intended) for a Christie candidacy at 42/34.   That’s a pretty good argument for staying out of the race at this late stage.  The only way a late entry will work is with someone with high name recognition and a positive intensity among Republicans, and that’s not the position in which Christie finds himself today.

I’d also bet on a press conference that consists of a “let me explain this in small words so you’ll understand” denial at 1 pm ET today.  And afterward, the media in attendance can all ask themselves why anyone bothered to show up.

Update: ABC also hears it’s a no:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will not run for president, according to a source with direct knowledge of the governor’s thinking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Have you seen the Undefeated?

stenwin77 on October 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yes, I get all of my opinions from a movie!

Movies are truthful, movies are American, movie makers have more integrity than anybody, except Palin herself!

Palin is what keeps Obama up at night!

Despair all who doubt the Palin!…and her profits prophets!

cozmo on October 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Have you seen the Undefeated?

I can only tell you of the impact that it has had on others. See it if you dare to have your “doubts” challanged.

stenwin77 on October 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I can’t believe the Palin crowd still believes that Bannon’s heavy-handed, clumsy piece of straight-to-DVD agit-prop is somehow going to turn things around for Palin.

Dreadnought on October 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Keep parrotting those lefty talking points.

Dreadnought on October 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Tell that to this guy.
Dreadnought on October 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM

derft on October 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Unfortunately the vast majority of Repbulicans also know they don’t like her.

Dreadnought on October 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM

*chuckles* “…The horror the horror…”

Bradky on October 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM

So all of you Palin doubters. I understand that you think she is not running.

My question is. If she does get in, say in 2 weeks, and her campaign is awesome, as I think it will be.

What if her debates are amazing, which I believe they will be.

What if she draws huge, excited crowds, say over 10,000, as I believe she will.

What will you say then?

stenwin77

What if you took your psych meds on time each day?

What if you drank Pepsi instead of kool aid?

What if you were normal instead of a tin foil wearing cult member?

What if bigfoot was real?

xblade on October 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Well, that is it. Romney will be the nominee.

Hand out the barf bags.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM

What will you say then?

stenwin77

What will we say then?

“meh”

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM

So, Christie says no for the hundredth time. But what does it mean? Dang it Christie, stop leading us on, are you running or not?

xblade on October 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Dreadnought on October 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM

BUT, the good guy robots in Transformers let the deceivers start to take over the world so as to show the ignorant humans were wrong to negotiate! The Palin supporters know that this is a winning strategery for St Palin the Victimized.

They believe they day will come when those whom are skeptical of her will have to answer theses questions…

What if her debates are amazing, which I believe they will be.

What if she draws huge, excited crowds, say over 10,000, as I believe she will.

What will you say then?

Look, these Palin loons have the emotional maturity of 12 year old brats. They live in a fantasy world where reality holds no sway and all that matters is that their beliefs follow the script of Hollywood movie, whose characters adorn their jammies and bed sheets.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I would suggest that those who can only offer untruths and ad hominem attacks against Palin and those who support her are the ones with the low emotional maturity.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

It’s getting interesting…

Sarah Palin-affiliated law firm made early-state deadline inquiries

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65115.html#ixzz1Zq35vB3l

OnlyOrange on October 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

xblade on October 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

What if you were not the Scarecrow?

derft on October 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM

So all of you Palin doubters. I understand that you think she is not running.

She might get in. And her non-campaign has been pretty awesome, stealing the spotlight and setting the agenda wherever she goes. Why wouldn’t her campaign be the same way.

What if her debates are amazing, which I believe they will be.

She did OK v Biden 3 years ago, when she went from 0 to 60 in one day, and had a few weeks to prepare. She’s grown so much since then. I expect she’ll do well. She’s good about staying on message.

What if she draws huge, excited crowds, say over 10,000, as I believe she will.

She had huge crowds as the VP candidate (I was at one), much larger than McCain’s. Why should this time be any different.

What will you say then?

stenwin77

It’s what I’d expect. I’d be surprised if it were otherwise.

Paul-Cincy on October 4, 2011 at 2:26 PM

This Palin thread is awesome!

ButterflyDragon on October 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Way to stay classy.
Irritable Pundit on October 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Wasn’t trying for classy.
I was trying for honesty.
I was asked a question-and I answered it.
annoyinglittletwerp on October 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

All Republicans are stupid, according to the left. Female Republicans also get either “crazy” or “slutty” added to it. Referring to Palin as a “media rhymes with door” wasn’t honesty. It was classless.

Irritable Pundit on October 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM

So all of you Palin doubters. I understand that you think she is not running.

What if her debates are amazing, which I believe they will be.

What if she draws huge, excited crowds, say over 10,000, as I believe she will.

What will you say then?

stenwin77

Well geeze ya know – you make it sound so good … I guess I’d jump on the Palinista Bandwagon again if all that came to pass.

However, it’s doubtful that Perry and Cain are getting out of the race and those two are exactly why each of them is not the frontrunner – they split the base. Bring in Palin – and divide that by three. Actually, either Cain or Perry is probably going to flame right out soon but, you can bet there WILL be a Conservative alternative to Palin to split the conservative vote.

Also – Palin has hurt herself badly by waiting this long to jump in – and her interview with Greta last week wasn’t a big plus for her either.

Still – I suppose she could recover – if she began this thing with a nuclear explosion.

I’ll note that – you’re probably painting an overly-rosy picture for her initial entry into this race – not sure she’ll be able to live up to all your expectations.

Still – if she can get traction and jump out in front – I could support her. I can support really anyone except Romney, Cain, and Bachmann. The first is a LIBERAL and the latter two should not have access to the nuke codes.

HondaV65 on October 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Well, that is it. Romney will be the nominee.

Hand out the barf bags.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You’re spot on – he certainly will be the nominee.

And Conservatives deserve this guy. It’s not like the media picked him this time around – the squabbles in the Conservative camp are what ditched their chances of getting someone in there that was even remotely a Conservative.

HondaV65 on October 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Romney won’t be the nominee. If you think so, lay it down on InTrade.

You’ll lose that bet as surely as Obama lost his bet on Solyndra.

The elbows haven’t even started flying. Perry can drop 100K in Romneycare ads before each of the early primaries and splitscreen them with Obamacare comparisons.

I like Romney, and wouldn’t mind his taking a slot as Sec Treas, or Sec Commerce, or even Fed Chair, but Romneycare is a flaming tire round his neck.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM

What if bigfoot was real?

xblade on October 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

WTF????!!!!!

sasquatch is the strongest animal!!

chasdal on October 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Of course you would…that is part of your lunatic nature as a worshiper of St Palin the Victimized. Her propaganda movie was a disastrous flop of epic proportions. And as many of us predicted, only her sycophantic worshipers gave it the dismal numbers that it had. And you dopes think that because you saw it a dozen times each, that everyone else did too.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM

…..but Romneycare is a flaming tire round his neck.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Unfortunately you are wrong (again). The Romneycare issue has been effectively dealt with as are the rest of his liberal policies. None of the current GOP candidates have a chance to overtake him and Obama will wilt under Romney’s attacks in a debate. Obama has nothing to run on, indies like Romney, and all but the stupidest people on the right will vote for him.

I’d say if things stay as they are today, we could perhaps run a disaster like St Palin the Victimized and have a decent chance of beating Obama. Especially if we could get her to stop playing the victim and learn how to use the English language effectively.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Again, no true statements, nothing but ad hominem.

So lemme ask, who’s your boy there huckleberry?

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Bwahahahahaha!!! Yeah, that is why her movie was out of the theaters in weeks and the PPV sales were dismal. Her DVD sales will come from her lunatic supporters.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

And you call Palin supporters sycophants? Hilarious!

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Again, no true statements, nothing but ad hominem.

So lemme ask, who’s your boy there huckleberry?

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You’re arguing with a circus clown. It’s not going to end well.

sharrukin on October 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I hate these obnoxious comment threads.

leftnomore on October 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Your refusal to accept the horror of a Romney nomination is a clue to your blubbering genuflection toward St Palin the Victimized. Irrespective of all his liberal tendencies, he still lead in all polls.

Two things you need to do after you start living in the real world…..1st, accept that St Palin has been leading you around by the nose for months for the purpose of getting you to send her your rent money. Second, Romney will be the nominee and unless you are going to sit at home and hack your nose off with a butter knife to spite America, you will have to pull the lever for him to get Obama out of there.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

You have no idea what the PPV numbers are, but more than one PPV outlet has picked it up for a second 90-day run.

I’ll let Breitbart’s Big Hollywood do the lifting on the limited theatrical release:

Compared to every other political documentary ever made…
1. “The Undefeated” ranks as #15 in the all-time highest grossing debut category (and this includes Michael Moore’s unique hold on this category). However — and this is a mighty important however – nine of the films ranked above the Palin doc opened on more screens — in some cases, hundreds more.
2. On a comparative number of screens (less than 10), “The Undefeated” enjoyed the fifth highest-grossing debut in the history of political documentaries.
3. Opening on a comparative number of screens (5 to 25), “The Undefeated” enjoyed the sixth highest per-screen average in the history of political documentaries.

You offer nothing but lies and ad hominem. I know you’re a mormon and you support Romney with a fanatical devotion all across the interwebs, but if all you have is ad hominem, you aren’t doing your faith proud.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Bragging up political documentaries is like bragging up the last place finishers in a triathlon.

And any numbers the movie does produce are almost entirely by you worshipers. You run around here bragging about how many times you have seen it. Meanwhile the rest of the country couldn’t care less.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Ken Vogel and I both have sources telling us that calls were made on behalf of a mystery candidate to various early states to determine presidential filing deadlines.
Continue Reading

The calls were made by representatives of the law firm Baker Hostetler – a firm that employs lawyer Mark Braden, who represents Sarah PAC, her political action committee.

As Ken notes, while he nor representatives of Palin’s campaign would comment on the calls, Palin is the only GOP politician eying the presidential race who is represented by the firm.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65115.html#ixzz1ZqmU8Oid

sharrukin on October 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I wish he had. Romney’s the only moderate against a slew of conservatives who are all splitting the conservative vote amongst themselves. No one is splitting the moderate vote with Romney and with Christie out, no other moderate is even hinting at a run. It’s sickening that a candidate with only 22% support has such a good chance to win the nomination; 78% want a conservative and we won’t get one easily.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

This person was tailor-made for a kill file. Now he’s going to whine I want to kill him. That’s an ignore list that automatically excludes his posts from view. I’ll ignore him. People — ignore him.

Paul-Cincy on October 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I never had a doubt.

Those who hoped that I would eat my head hardest hit.

MJBrutus on October 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Ok there, fancy pants wearer, YOU are the one harping about the movie. Not I.

I’ve just taken a moment to refute your obvious untruths.

You’re not a very good representative for your candidate or your faith, I hope you realize that you aren’t doing Romney or Mormonism any favors.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

People — ignore him.

Paul-Cincy on October 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Wonderful! I am glad to see that I have finally reached through to you. It’s too bad I had to shame you into ceasing your obsession on me, but in the end, whatever woks for you is good.

Later loser.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Bwahahahaha!!! You are a fool. who said I was a member of the LDS faith or that I prefer Romney?

That’s right…NO ONE. You Palin worshipers are so devoid of rational thought I have a hard time believing even your grammy would let you live in her basement.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM

who said I was a member of the LDS faith or that I prefer Romney?

um. . .You did.

Do you really want to play this game?

Ok. . .I’ll play. Riddle me these:

1. Are you a Mormon?
2. Do you support Romney?

Remember, in this instance, GIYE.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Remember, in this instance, GIYE.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Show where I said I am LDS and support Romney as “my guy”.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I never said LDS, I said Mormon. I never said “your guy”, I said support.

So. . . are you ready to play? If so, answer the questions.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I never said LDS, I said Mormon. I never said “your guy”, I said support.

So. . . are you ready to play? If so, answer the questions.

Jason Coleman on October 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Show me where I said I am a Mormon. And your ridiculous attempt to box me into your definition of who I “support” is the typical Palin lunatic straw man.

csdeven on October 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Show me where I said I am a Mormon.

Immaterial to the questions.

The questions are:

1. Are you a Mormon?
2. Do you support Romney?

The only ridiculous thing going on is your attempt to evade by changing the game from Mormon to LDS and support to “my guy”.

So, go ahead and answer the questions.

You could say no, to either or both of the questions, and then I can easily demonstrate that you have lied, or you can answer yes to either or both to them and prove my point.

The choice is yours.

Jason Coleman on October 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Jason Coleman on October 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM

More straw man stupidity from you. You assume I am a Mormon. Where do you get that assumption? Show me the evidence. You cannot because I never said that, ergo YOU are the liar.

And who I support has zero to do with the topic. It is your attempt to link me to a candidate that you can attack.

In both instances you present a straw man argument. I’m not going to play your game you delusional Palin worshiper.

csdeven on October 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM

More straw man stupidity from you.

It’s obvious that you don’t know what a straw man argument is. So I’ll forgive your misrepresentation there.

Um, no one has denied you are a Mormon, not even you. So why would I need to to “show you the evidence”. You don’t hold a trial until a defendant claims, “not guilty”. Your “ergo” logic doesn’t work. I made an assertion, if you tell me it’s not true, then we’ve got a ball game. Until then, I get to keep my evidence under wraps.

I could have guessed (hint: I didn’t guess Mr. Fancy Pants). However, until someone actually denies that you are a Mormon, I don’t need to show you anything. How can you call me a liar since as of yet, not one single solitary pixel has been created to challenge my assertion. In order to call me a liar, you would have to be able to

state that you are in fact, NOT a Mormon. Can you do that?

So we’re back to the first question:

1. Are you a Mormon?

As for:

I can attack any candidate I want, any time I wish for any reasons I find acceptable to me. I don’t need you.

But it’s oh, so fun to watch you squirm.

Which brings us to the second question.

2. Do you support Romney?

===============================

So unless you actually tell me I’m wrong, we’ll just have to wonder about why these two very simple questions are so hard for you to answer.

Jason Coleman on October 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM