CBS journalist: White House, DOJ officials yelled at me over Fast & Furious reporting

posted at 3:25 pm on October 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Laura Ingraham’s producer Matt Wolking, vivid proof that it’s not true that “the media” is ignoring Fast & Furious. Most of the media is, but Sharyl Attkisson at CBS has been filing scoops damned near every day, including last night’s bombshell that briefings were sent to Holder as early as July 2010. Ingraham asked her about that in the clip you’re about to hear. Attkisson’s reply:

I’m certainly not the one to make the case for DOJ and White House about what I’m doing wrong. They will tell you that I’m the only reporter–as they told me–that is not reasonable. They say the Washington Post is reasonable, the LA Times is reasonable, the New York Times is reasonable, I’m the only one who thinks this is a story, and they think I’m unfair and biased by pursuing it.

Thousands of guns sold with U.S. government help to degenerates known for decapitating people and leaving their heads in the street as a warning to others, and yet Attkisson’s the one who’s “not reasonable” for finding it newsworthy. Skip ahead to 6:05 to hear her describe being yelled at not only by the DOJ but by White House spokesman Eric Schultz, who allegedly screamed and cursed at her over her reporting. But if you do skip ahead, you’ll be missing out: For my money, the best part of the clip is hearing Attkisson describe the progression of revelations about F&F from whistleblower John Dodson to the Phoenix ATF office to ATF headquarters to DOJ higher-ups. Even now, she says, the Justice Department won’t put anything in writing for her because they don’t want to be pinned down to any admissions. That’s how shady this is.

My one quibble with her: Early in the clip, she notes that the briefings Holder received never explicitly stated “we let guns walk.” That’s true, but they did say that the guns obtained by straw purchasers “were then supplied to Mexican drug trafficking cartels.” That’s not supposed to happen; in a normal sting involving straw purchasers, the purchaser is immediately arrested and the weapon confiscated. How come the alarm bells didn’t ring for Holder (or for whichever underling read that memo for him) when they saw that part?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ve been riposting this story on FB (with some success on turning some obamabots). I’m looking for the definitive link to F&F and an attack on the 2nd amendment. Any suggestions, anyone?

kurtzz3 on October 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM

A smorgasbord of links for you

I stayed up one night printing every single story because you KNOW a lot will be scrubbed.

Key West Reader on October 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Some background on Eric Shultz, a charming guy who has worked for and with charming people/:

Schultz climbed Capitol Hill by working in the offices of Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.). During the 2008 election cycle, Schultz worked for Democratic presidential candidate and former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.)
When Edwards dropped out of the presidential race, Schultz went to work for Democrat Al Franken’s Minnesota Senate run against Norm Coleman. It ended up being one of the hardest-fought races of the year, with recounts lasting well into 2009. In the end, Franken came out on top, and Schultz scored a job at the DSCC, headed by Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.).
Schultz quickly made an impact at the DSCC, including hiring a former Daily Kos blogger to head netroots outreach. (2)

Buy Danish on October 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Any suggestions, anyone?
kurtzz3 on October 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I believe Bob Owens at Pajamas Media has been doing the best stuff, and from the beginning.

rrpjr on October 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

quotes.

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Twain would probably look upon that as a remarkably bad idea. heh.

And certainly not with someone who gets pixels for free.

amerpundit on October 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Oceans of them. I’ve checked several other sites and this story is the Buzz.

dogsoldier on October 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM

If this is such a non-story, why are they so angry?

JAM on October 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM

CBS News executives probably figured there was nothing to the story since Obama is a messianic figure to them.

CBS News executives can’t tell her to back off now, they have something their competitors don’t and Sharyl most likely is getting a whiff of a Pulitzer right about now so there is no stopping her.

Daemonocracy on October 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM

C-BS actually pulled her off the story in early July, after the ATF guy testified in secret to Issa and his Committee. They relegated her to covering some sort of “scandal” involving a group formed during the Eisenhower Administration.

Inexplicably, they put her back on the story 2 or 3 weeks later, and she’s been with it ever since.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

If Holder knew, and this liar surely did, then clearly Obama knew since he has long recommended gun tracing. How can the American public tolerate this lying, incompetent no-transparency administration – Obama should be impeached.

Chessplayer on October 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Let’s all send flowers and a Thank You note to Sharyl.

I just did.

CBS News
2020 M St NW, Washington, DC 20036
(202) 457-4321

fred5678 on October 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Buy Danish on October 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Tracy Schmaler worked for Patrick Leahy.

Wethal on October 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Trying to recover in the ratings after the Couric years, perhaps.

Wethal on October 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Issa: “Mr. Holder, here we are again. I want to remind you… You are under oath. Two part questions… First, when was the first time you were informed about Operation Fast and Furious? Second, what specifically were you aware about the Operation?”

Holder:
“What is the date today?
I may have been sent the e-mail, but I didn’t read it.
The memo was shredded before I could read it.
No one told me.
My dog ate the memo.
My dog ate the e-mail.
I accidentally threw it into the garbage.
I accidentally deleted it.
Have you tried to understand anything while you’re stoned?
Well, since the guns were going to Latinos, I didn’t care.
Did you know the CIA from selling cocaine in inner cities in the 1970s.
Black Panthers? What Black Panthers?
What about BOOOOOSSHHH?
Do you know you’re racist?”

Issa:
“Okay Mr. Holder. Let’s try this again. Before you answer, I want you to know that this committee has evidence that I will present after you respond that further clarifies both answers. So, were going to give you another chance… What specifically did you know about Operation Fast and Furious, and when did you first know about it? Remember, you are under oath, so I would kindly remind you that if you continue to lie, we will pursue charges of perjury…”

Holder:
“You know I love you baby.
It wasn’t my fault.
No I didn’t.
Honest… I ran out of gas!
I–I had a flat tire!
I didn’t have enough money for cab fare!
My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners!
An old friend came in from out of town!
Someone stole my car!
There was an earthquake!
A terrible flood!
Locusts!
IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!”

Issa: sigh “Mr. Holder…”

Holder: “What was the question, again? (under his voice) Racists!”

Issa: “Mr. Holder, the microphone is still on…”

Either way, Holder still looks either incompetent, ignorant, or stupid. That is, unless a state tries to enforce immigration law.

Holder lied, a bunch of Mexicans (& several border patrol agents) died. [h/t lonestar1]

Danny on October 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Danny on October 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Place Rep. Allen West on Issa’s right side.

ProudPalinFan on October 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Jake Tapper tweeted today, regarding this story, that such phone calls from the WH pretty much come with the territory, doesn’t see the big deal.

He’s also blogged, as advice for young campaign reporters: “If you make it to South Carolina without being yelled at by the campaign you’re not doing your job.”

So at least Ms. Attkisson seems to be doing her job.

Tapper hasn’t responded to my reply tweet asking whether the stories are true (reported on Politico & elsewhere) that even though most administrations call reporters to yell at them, this one does it a lot more than in the past.

Alex_SF on October 4, 2011 at 6:19 PM

John @ Power Line:

It is a terrible thing when a reporter violates the conspiracy of reasonableness.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

lorien1973 on October 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Are you just uninformed or did I miss something?

Strike Twice on October 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Me thinks that was a troll.

Hammie on October 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I wonder what “reasonable” means? Do all those other media outlets deny any possibility of the administration’s culpability?

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

So you have this plan, you let all these guns get into Mexico and kill people and be used in robberies, so people get killed, they’re only Mexicans. Then, when the Mexican Government traces them to the U.S. you say, “It’s time to crack down on guns again and the need to toughen the laws about purchases.”. Can anyone think of a different and better reason for doing this? If that’s the case, liberals are really a disgusting bunch, if it’s not the case, convince me this was smart because, no matter what the excuse, it looks mighty dumb, like something they would dream up in the Harvard Faculty Lounge.

bflat879 on October 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM

but bush did it to excuse now in play…

cmsinaz on October 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

but bush did it to excuse now in play…

cmsinaz on October 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

LOL! It’s from al-AP, and they quote two anonymous “Federal Law Enforcement Sources.”

Probably been embedded there since the Clinton Years.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM

If you don’t support giving American guns to Mexican drug traffickers, you don’t have a heart. Where else are they supposed to get them?

xblade on October 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Hah! The screaming and abuse worked well for the WH when Rahm was in charge and Barry was popular. Now that his poll numbers are abysmal, it’s becoming okay for the MSM to question the secular messiah and the bullying routine pretty much guarantees extra coverage.

This WH is Nixonian, just without any of the charm.

obladioblada on October 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM

If this was intended as a legitimate sting, who were the targets? On which side of the border were they? What was the plan of apprehension if in the U.S. If not, what legitimate law enforcement goal could possibly explain the weapons being allowed to “walk” into Mexico by design?

Forget truthful, what rational explanation is even conceivable?

Barnestormer on October 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Not an alarm setting point. All lights are green for this crew. The goal is to disarm their subjects. Not letting the Somalia south of our border go to waste. You just weren’t supposed to notice. FCC not doing their job. Well give’m time.

Nothing worse than a muddering thug except maybe an innept one.

Hillary would have had these blood trails covered by noon the next day.

onomo on October 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Key West Reader on October 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

You are AWESOME Key West!

itsspideyman on October 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM

1) First Eric Holder said, very clearly, that he never heard about Fast and Furious until a few weeks ago.

2) THEN he said that he didn’t read any of the memos that his own staff sent him about the program last year.

3) And NOW he’s saying that he “didn’t understand the question” that he very clearly re-iterated in his answer.

Even if you forget for a second how incredibly incompetent Eric Holder makes makes himself out to be in each of those statements separately; even if you give him every possible benefit of the doubt on everything he’s ever said; if you take all his statements together then, by his own admissions, it is logically impossible for him to be telling the truth.

logis on October 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM

They yelled at you? Do what they do -double down -investigate deeper -make demands from congress to investigate supoena or impeach.

By the way -one reporter doing the job doesn’t begin to mean that the media isn’t covering up on this issue.

Don L on October 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Scooter Libby said far less with far less at stake with that fraudulent issue of outing the already outed Valerie Plame. Find him a nice cell away from any of the white racists he sees on every corner.

Don L on October 5, 2011 at 7:05 AM

I’m sorry, everytime I see Eric Holder all I can think of is The Head Detective from “In Living Color”…

MechEng5by5 on October 5, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Kudos to Sharyl Attkisson for having the guts to follow this story even when the sycophants of the One are yelling and screaming at her, and then being willing to share her story with Laura Ingraham, whom the LSM knows not to be a FOO (Friend Of Obama).

Steve Z on October 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM

The ratbags could have purchased better weapons cheaper overseas, However, the .50 calibre rifle may be the exception. Why sell a specialist weapon to the ratbags.

davod on October 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM