Obama: Are you better off than you were four years ago? I guess you’re not

posted at 4:08 pm on October 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

On the one hand, this is the worst thing an incumbent president can say, especially one who’s already struggling under the weight of comparisons to you-know-who.

On the other hand, what other answer could he give? If he sat there and tried to argue that things are improving, even Stephanopoulos might have busted out laughing. That’s how awful his political situation is right now. Like Biden talking about the economy, he’s forced to be brutally candid because even perfunctory optimistic spin would be derided as hopelessly out of touch. Better that he shows he’s in tune with the electorate’s mood, grim though it is, than cocoon himself in talking points.

The American people, he conceded, are “not better off” than they were four years ago.

“The unemployment rate is way too high,” he said of the 9 percent jobless rate, the highest in more than half a century…

Obama would not handicap the 2012 election, but objected to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s comments that he divided people more than united them. Republicans, he said, have stood in the way of working with him time and again to fix the economy.

Follow the last link and read to the end and you’ll find that he’s “still working on” his assessment of gay marriage, a project that’s now well into its second decade. Here’s video of him from the same interview insisting that he’s the underdog next year. Hard to argue with that on the merits, especially with the country on the brink of a European-driven double-dip, but I can’t bring myself to believe that a liberal incumbent with the media on his side and a ginormous war chest could ever really be an underdog in America. Case in point: We all had a giggle yesterday at how his campaign’s drive to attract new donors drew only slightly more than half the number it was aiming for. Tee hee! Meanwhile, his third-quarter fundraising haul is expected to exceed $55 million, which actually represents a slow-ish period for him. Some underdog. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Hey hey ho ho.
Barack Obama’s got to go.

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I’ll reiterate what I said on the RCP thread. I actually am better off than I was 4 years ago(marginally). However I’m not better off than I was 2 years ago. My salary has remained stagnant while cost of living has increased. And a quarter of the department I work in has been laid off in the last few months.

Do I directly blame Barry for all of this? No. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the economy remains in the crapper and looks to be there for a long time thanks to his policies.

Doughboy on October 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Right. He tried to work with Republicans. That’s a good one..

sandee on October 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Too Late Obamo

Just 37 percent in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll say they expect Obama to win re-election in November 2012; 55 percent instead expect the eventual Republican nominee to win. ABC’s George Stephanopoulos is asking the president about that result in an interview today.

William Amos on October 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

He just wants to be in the GOP ads, too. Publicity hog.

Vashta.Nerada on October 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

American citizens acted stupidly by voting in those Republicans.

Yes, if only this were China and he could do whatever he wanted.

January 2013 cannot come soon enough for me.

But November 2012 to January 2013 scares me thinking of what he’s going to do.

ButterflyDragon on October 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Obama: ‘I’m Used to Being an Underdog’

The president cites the economy for his low approval ratings.

Americans cite Obama for the low performance in the economy.

Take a poll on that, Champ.

BobMbx on October 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Did anyone notice that we don’t have anyone actually, you know, presidentin’ right now. Obama thinks he’s a community organizer again. He’s using geometric logic looking for strawberries.

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

BO, you’re not an underdog – you’re just a dog.

HomeoftheBrave on October 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

One person is better off….BHO. Lifetime pension, big a$$ plane, Target shopping trips

dirtseller on October 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

It’s still Bush’s fault.

davek70 on October 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Click the image to watch.

Naw. I’ll take your word for it AP.

JusDreamin on October 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

O.M.G. = Obama Must Go!

milwife88 on October 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

May be a little OT, but still a THREAD WINNER! LOL

HomeoftheBrave on October 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hope he doesn’t blow up before the election. I want us to run against him.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Actually, I think the response the Republicans received from you Mr. President was “I won.”

President Obama listened to Republican gripes about his stimulus package during a meeting with congressional leaders Friday morning – but he also left no doubt about who’s in charge of these negotiations. “I won,” Obama noted matter-of-factly, according to sources familiar with the conversation.

catmman on October 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Just add “Even Obama knows he’s a failure. Vote Republican” at the end it and run it as a 2012 Presidential campaign advertisement.

albill on October 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Because underdogs can never get opponents thrown off the ballot and never have the media working fervently to ensure they get (re-)elected.

Christien on October 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM

“Just words!!”

I’m calling AttackWatch…

Khun Joe on October 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM

“I won.” — BHO

petefrt on October 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

The rubes don’t like me much, backward racists”

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Obama had a campaign ad in 2008 that said he wouldn’t be re-elected if the answer to that question is “no” some republican raelly needs to dig up that ad and edit it nicely.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM

“At every step of way, I have tried to get the Republican Party to work with me on the biggest crisis of our lifetime. And each time we’ve gotten ‘No,’” he said.”

Poor guy…

… maybe we should suspend elections for a little while so he can get his way?

Seven Percent Solution on October 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM

The “soft” country doesn’t like its slippery president.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM

The biggest crisis of pour lifetime? That would be YOU, Scooter.

petefrt on October 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Can’t watch right now, so I’ll guess. This is where George interrupted and pointed out that Democrats didn’t need Republican votes and could have passed whatever they wanted for 2 years, right?

forest on October 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Obama is just phoning it in now.

Will he not seek re-election? I don’t think Obama’s ego could take the lose.

However, Obama could get a lot of mileage out of America denying him a second term because “we are all a bunch of racists, and America was not ready for the enlightenment of a black President”.

Hmmmm.

choices.

portlandon on October 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM

lose = Loss.

portlandon on October 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Of course, we won’t mention his 0-98 senate trouncing of his first budget plan.

A more apt moniker may be, in best Vader voice possible, “The Congress of Noooooooooooooo!”

Imagine Obama in the huddle, calling plays:

Obama: “Ok, HB 34, trips right on 3″
WR: “hey, they’re kicking our ass in the middle, if you’re gonna run, lets go off-tackle”
Obama: “They’ll never expect a run up the middle”
WR: “Dude, that’s the only play you’ve called in the entire game”
Obama: “Right. This time, they’ll think I’m gonna pass”
Whole front line: “C’mon, man! You’re whole career…nothing but ‘up the middle, they ain’t expectin’ it now!….bullshit…call a pass play, or I’m lettin’ my man by”
Obama: “Racist”

BobMbx on October 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Cue Bayam and his National Socialist talking points from 2008 that Still blame Booosh!

Chip on October 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The unemployment rate is way too high

You know what else is way too high?

The rent.

The rent is too damn high!!!

crazy_legs on October 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Can you say Malaise?

antisocial on October 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

O’s idea of getting people to “work with him” is to concede to doing things his way. His ideology is rigid.

onlineanalyst on October 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM

That’s because you wanted to fundamentally transform the country into dead-end Marxist excrement hole.

Can you blame them for saying no?

Chip on October 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM

He’s used to being an “underdog”? Would that be when AA, leftist connections, and shady money got him into Harvard Law School? Or when his “guy in the neighborhood” Ayers got him a cushy job divying up a cool $50M and helped him write his book? Or when his buddies got his opponents kicked off the primary ballot so he could run unopposed? Or maybe it was when sealed court documents miraculously got unsealed in time for the general election? Or how about how the bottom suddenly dropped out of the stock market just in time for the presidential election?

I wish I could be an underdog like that!

CJ on October 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I wonder if MO will be proud of her country in Nov 2012, or will she return to her lip-biting, head-jinkin’ ways.

BobMbx on October 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Can you say Malaise?

antisocial on October 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I’ll have the country on Rye, hold the Malaise.

Chip on October 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Doesn’t feel soft, eh Barry?

rogerb on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

So the new Obama plan is to run against… Obama!

‘This guy has made things worse and I’ll make them better!’

He can practice that in front of the mirror and defend himself at the same time.

Absolutely brilliant!

Make sure to send him a jacket that is all arms, he will need it with all the pointing at himself he will do.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

“I’m used to being the underdog. But at the end of the day people are going to ask — who’s got a vision vacation?”

Fixed…

Seven Percent Solution on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

This guy is un-re-electable.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

“The unemployment rate is way too high,” he said of the 9 percent jobless rate, the highest in more than half a century.

Now that’s a winning campaign slogan right there.

rbj on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Poster for 2012

Gross but also funny!

Bye bye Obama you… SCOAMF!

Key West Reader on October 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Death Spiral

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM

The Labor Department’s inspector general says a $500 million program designed to train workers for green jobs has come up far short of its goals.

A report finds that only about 8,000 people participating in the program have actually found work so far. That’s just 10 percent of the target goal of placing 80,000 workers in careers in energy efficiency or renewable energy by 2013.

The report says agencies receiving grant money have expressed concerns that jobs have not materialized.

William Amos on October 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM

They said this would be a historic presidency.

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Our Jerk-in-Chief is a long way from gone. As one eloquent commenter on this site said a couple of weeks or so ago: He won’t go without a dirty fight.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM

My wife and I like many other Americans are working extra jobs just to keep from going under. The value of our home has been going “down” and a condo we own almost forced us into bankruptcy. We are living one day at a time financially and praying we can survive until the Communists are out of power.

Hening on October 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

So the new Obama plan is to run against… Obama!

‘This guy has made things worse and I’ll make them better!’

Absolutely brilliant!

ajacksonian on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Psychologists around the world are salivating at the books they intend to write:

Obama: The Paranoid Who Was Attacked by Himself, and Lost
Obama: A Study of Complete Detachment from Reality
Obama: Narcissism Re-Defined
How Not To Run A Country; The Obama Chronicles
You’ve Got Me….

BobMbx on October 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

you ain’t kidding

cmsinaz on October 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM

It’s those dam bitter clingers that hate me because I’m black and I have reduced the economy to squat so van jones can set the revolution in motion. Everyone will be dependent on the government, the poor(90%)or the crony capitalists who seek my blessing and government(obama) money. I will rename the place “Obamerica”, fitting reward for all I did for the place.

tim c on October 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM

When did libs try to work with Republicans? Republicans offered their own ideas time, and again and were turned out. Their ideas scrapped, shredded, ignored. You name it, libs did it. Now they hold a majority in the House only, and they’re obstructing? They’ve offered bills, budgets and the like and STILL get ignored. They’ve passed numerous bills only to be stalled by the libs. They’re trying Obama. Are you? Other than to say…it’s my way or the highway. And if you don’t go with me you’re an obstructionist?

You tell the CBC to quit whining. Maybe you should take some of your own advice. You’re far from being the underdog here, and you know it…but you just can’t resist being a drama queen. Michelle must get awfully sick of pandering to your crap.

capejasmine on October 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Of course, we won’t mention his 0-98 senate trouncing of his first budget plan.

Imagine Obama in the huddle, calling plays:

Obama: “Ok, HB 34, trips right on 3″
Obama: “They’ll never expect a run up the middle”
WR: “Dude, that’s the only play you’ve called in the entire game”
Obama: “Right. This time, they’ll think I’m gonna pass”
Obama: “Racist”

BobMbx on October 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Excellent.

fossten on October 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

What I don’t get is where in the hell all the money he rakes in comes from? Who are the people still willing to give this objectively complete and utter failure money?

Monkeytoe on October 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Someone pass him a large jar of Obamalaise. Now he can taste his own failure.

Key West Reader on October 3, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Yes its those eeeeevvvviiiillll Republicans who are stopping Democrats from co-sponsoring his jobs bill…. oh, wait…

How long will it be before Democratic candidates start denouncing him in their campaigns? I mean, really, would you want to run with this guy at the top of the ticket?

A hint to Democrats: offer Tea Partiers a prime position inside the party by having them fill up empty precinct seats so they can start tearing the rot out of your party… because it is obvious that your current leadership isn’t up to the task.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The crap that comes out of his mouth is astounding. Meanwhile we have our candidates savaging each other. Wonderful!/

katy the mean old lady on October 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM

“They talk about me like a dog.”
–stuff Obama said

hit and run on October 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Are you better off than you were 4 Trillion more in Debt ago?

txmomof6 on October 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Why would you keep your widget-building factory in America with the IRS not knowing its tax regulations for 2012… the NLRB telling where your own facilities can be located… the EPA looking for reasons to shut them down… the Labor Dept. hounding every hiring decision… the U.S. Government investing in your overseas competitors… ObamaCare driving your medical costs through the roof… and unions driving up your labor costs?

No thanks. I’ll just pay $2 per widget to source from China. I’d rather deal with up-front Communists than stealth Socialists.

Don’t blame companies for “exporting” jobs; blame Obama’s Big Government approach for for driving them off.

VastRightWingConspirator on October 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Hmm interesting

TheQuestion on October 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Obama: “I’m a failure. Give me your sympathy vote.”

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Tell that to Amanda Knox. Who is free now after four years behind bars

TheQuestion on October 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I hope we all send fruitcakes to the WH this Christmas!

Their old one in the Oval Office has gotten stale.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Hardest hit – Paul “you didn’t do enough!” Krugman

tomg51 on October 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, you lying piece of crap. The Republicans have been in charge of the House and Senate ALL during your term. Right?

As for “working with me” – yeah, President “I WON!”.

Eat crow Mr Underdog, you hypocrite!

GarandFan on October 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Right. He tried to work with Republicans. That’s a good one..

sandee on October 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Interestingly, that’s not what he said. He said,

I have tried to get the Republican Party to work with me…

See the difference? He’s not trying to work with Republicans. He’s trying to get them to do things his way.

taznar on October 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM

That has to be used i n every political ad against him.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Don’t call my bluff, Eric!

txmomof6 on October 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Underdog was genial, heroic.

I’ve seen Underdog and, Mr. President, you are no Underdog.

Blunderdog, perhaps, yes…

ajacksonian on October 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, they should have totally let you wreck the economy even worse than you did, Mr. “I won”. That’s the ticket!

Scrappy on October 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Right. He tried to work with Republicans. That’s a good one..

sandee on October 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

All I can remember is Nancy Pelosi walking around with that stupid huge gavel. That sure was a bi-partisan effort on Obamacare, LOL. Biggest jam down ever…a big reason there are no jobs.

kirkill on October 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

That has to be used i n every political ad against him.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Our candidates are too stupid. God help us.

faraway on October 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I can tell you’re being sarcastic, but for new readers:

No, of course we all know that Stephanopoulos wouldn’t have laughed and at worst would’ve teed up an easy and unchallenged “I saved our broken healthcare system and economy from a real disaster” answer.

ScottMcC on October 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’m really tired of this sales pitch. The reason people aren’t working with him (note the Dems have finally started to “not work with him on the American Jobs Act) because his policies suck and his proposals are detrimental to to the economy.

Having to compromise with crappy proposals is like compromising with a like a little kid who asks his parents to spend their life savings to buy him a whole bunch of toys and when they say no, he says, “Work with me here, compromise and spend half your life savings!”

Parents: No!

Kid: A quarter of it!

Parents: No!

Kid: Every step of the way you say “No!”

Bary needs to be sent to his room and it’s too bad he won’t be told to go until November 2012 and it won’t happen until January 2013.

Dusty on October 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM

If they spend the $55 million with the same sort of responsibility and cost-controls they’ve put on spending taxpayer dollars in the past 2 1/2 years, there’s a good chance they might only be able to afford a 10-second spot on a public access channel in American Samoa, once everyone else gets their take of the booty.

jon1979 on October 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Are you better off now than you were two years ago?

Absolutely.

crr6 on May 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Chip on October 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I’m very stupid compared to you.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM

““At every step of way, I have tried to get the Republican Party to work with me on the biggest crisis of our lifetime. And each time we’ve gotten ‘No,’” he said.

….:I won”

Barack Obama obviously thinks we’re all a bunch of rubes who fell off the turnip truck 15 minutes ago.

Murf76 on October 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I`ll trust others to tell me what he said. I can`t stand to listen to him.

itsspideyman on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Does he have any events in Dallas, does AF1 still land at Love Field?

Alden Pyle on October 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I simply love the continued “its the republicans’ fault, Obama’s tried over and over again to reach across the aisle and work with them” meme…

Like when he rammed Obamacare up our… down our throats…

Like the many times he explained why he was doing what he was doing with “I won” and “elections have consequences” and “the election is over”, and…

Stew in it, you jerk.

Midas on October 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM

If the man knew what it meant to have cause such radical harm to this nation, he wouldn’t try to make himself an admired underdog -he would resign in shame.

Narcissists are the most difficult people to convert – they tend to elevate themselves to messiahs when they screw up, telling themselves that messiahs are incapable of screwing up.

Perfection is in the beholder of the eye.

Don L on October 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I don’t know how anyone can be better off now than 4 years ago…the cost of just about everything has gone up.

How many republican budget plans passed that Mr. President has ignored now?

scalleywag on October 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hey, c’mon now… just let the man eat his waffle.

bofh on October 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM

We need to know how this guy is filling his campaign coffers. Give me names and amounts.

CliffHanger on October 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM

dirtseller on October 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

..oh dear God! I just realized it. When this clown gets thrown out sprawling on the Pennsylvania Avenue dust in January 2013 there will be ceaseless TV spots of him and and his insufferable WIDE LOAD FLOTUS hyping things like Target, GM cars, Expedia, cruise lines, and enema products.

I’m betting this guy’ll be hogging the limelight until he dies.

The War Planner on October 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Click the image to watch?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..LOLOLOLOLOLLLOLLLLLLOLOOOOLOOLOLL.

HIs presidency makes me miss the wondrous accomplishments of James Buchanan!!

PappyD61 on October 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Forgot all about the lock he had on Congress for two years.
I got it: The dumbest president to ever sit in the oval office managed to mastermind 9/11 all by himself to get Saddam and steal the oil (gas now costing 3.50/gal) and didn’t get caught.

But the smartest president in history can’t get jack done even with a Congress full of Democrats.

We know, Prezidunce, it’s aaaallll the Republicans fault.

TinMan13 on October 4, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Obama’s definition of “bipartisan” or “working with the R’s” means, “they have to give me everything that I want, while I give them nothing of what they want”.

Compromise is a two-way street, Sport.

Old Fritz on October 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM