Is Cain the biggest loser in WaPo’s hit on Perry?

posted at 12:05 pm on October 3, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes, competition can make people abandon their natural common sense.  That arguably happened yesterday to Herman Cain, who must have seen the Washington Post exposé on Rick Perry about a Texas hunting ranch lease from the 1980s as an opening to hit one of the frontrunners in the race.  Cain appeared on ABC’s This Week and blasted Perry as “insensitive” (mildly NSFW):

This certainly seemed like a gift in the middle of a tough campaign, but as Jazz wrote yesterday, the Post’s story had a lot of holes in it — starting with the problem that they didn’t even find the rock in question, and that Perry’s family didn’t own or name the ranch, but in fact found the name offensive enough to cover with paint and flip over. Instead of waiting for more information, though, Cain accepted the premise of the Post’s article, which raised the ire of some conservatives, if my Twitter feed yesterday was any indication.

The Boss Emeritus provides some needed context to the Post’s attack:

The Post interviewed dozens of people. The New York Timesfollowed up with another crack investigation of hazy memories of bygone days.

They’ve given “stoning” a whole new meaning.

Has Perry actually used the racial epithet himself — you know, like the late, former KKK leader Robert Byrd did as recently as 2001?

Did Perry condescendingly refer to a black politician as “articulate and bright and clean” like Biden did when he described Barack Obama in 2007?

Did Perry racially stereotype Hispanics for political gain or refer offensively to President Obama’s “light skin” and “lack of a Negro dialect” like Senate Democrat leader Harry Reid did just last year?

This prompted Michael Tomasky at The Daily Beast to write that the biggest loser of the ranch flap is likely to be Cain, and not Perry (via The Week):

And it is instructive, is it not, that no other candidate jumped on this revelation? Think about the conversations that must have gone on in Mitt Romney’s camp, or in Rick Santorum’s. I bet they weren’t even very long conversations. It’s a charge that emanates from the liberal media, and the last thing in the world, and I mean the very last thing, a candidate chasing Republican primary votes wants to do is sound like that. It’s a dead certainty that we won’t hear another peep about this story from them.

As for Cain, one wonders what synapse snapped into action there. He has been reliably on message on such matters, saying things like (as he said even yesterday) two thirds of black Americans are victims of “brainwashing” against conservatism. I guess he just doesn’t know his steam-locomotive history. But he said what he said, and now he’s going to have to prove to these people, just as he was gaining a little momentum, that he isn’t morphing into Al Sharpton.

As for Perry himself, he seems unlikely to be hurt very much. One supposes it is possible that some group of GOP panjandrums will send up a smoke signal, gather in lower Manhattan, and decide that this is another sign that Perry isn’t the man to put forward next November. If he’d been coming off three dominant debate performances and was still running away with it, he could wrap himself in the highest possible dudgeon and try to chop the Post to pieces for the amusement of a salivating base constituency. But since he’s on the downswing for now, he needs to play defense, which is what his camp did yesterday. This charge may make some conservatives feel that Perry is a tad embarrassing. But how many will it personally offend? Let’s face it, based on the evidence of the last debate, the GOP base thinks Perry isn’t racially insensitive enough, giving $100,000 college-education discounts to all those illegal brown children.

I don’t find it at all surprising that Cain, who grew up in poverty and oppressive state-backed racism, would have an immediate and emotional reaction to this story.  It seems almost churlish to scold him for calling it “insensitive,” a rather mild criticism considering the nature of the term.  The other candidates in the GOP race for the nomination don’t have a history with this term as Cain does and could approach it more coolly, perhaps, while looking at the greater strategy of avoiding the potential backfire when the story came apart.

That said, the media has quite a track record of highlighting tenuous connections to racism when it comes to Republicans while, pardon the pun, whitewashing it when it comes to Democrats.  Conservatives who were angry with Perry over his harsh reaction to criticism of his state-based tuition breaks for children of illegal immigrants might tend to rally around him after watching a national media outlet accuse him falsely of perpetuating an ugly term that Perry himself said “has no place in the modern world.”  They’re not likely to look kindly on those who bolster the case of the media, regardless of the context of life experience from which the reaction originates.  That’s why it’s always best when these media “exposés” arise to withhold judgment until all of the facts are on the table.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The cultist leader defending another cultist, how special/

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

You never actually discuss what people write. Instead, you inject your assumptions into their comments and draw all kinds of unwarranted conclusions. Then, when you are challenged on your false conclusions based on false premises, you shout “cultist!!!1!1″

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

The cultist leader defending another cultist, how special/

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

So more proof you don’t care about the truth and simply look at things as your “group” vs “them”. thanks for outing yourself as a nonbasised “judge” in this.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Emphatically, “YES”.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM

This smells like a Mitt buttboy operation. Cian just walked into something and handled it extremely badly.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

You are doing the same thing Cain did and then some. Joining a “lynch mob”, or trying to start one up yourself, without sufficient evidence to substantiate the accusation. More like verdict in your case.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

This probably hurts Perry a little due to the headline splash which is all most people will see. His defense should have been much for vigorous for the same reason… get a headline denying it to mitigate some of the damage. Headlines are all some people ever see and a heated denial would have been the best way to go IMO.

For Cain its more lasting damage because he is in a conservative primary and people on the right don’t like the race card being used. It’s a rare conservative who hasn’t had it laid down on them.

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Wow, that’s remarkably similar to my comments yesterday:

Exit question: you know who this helps?

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Exit answer: not Perry, not Cain.

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Look to be called a “Palin cultist” who is “gleeful” about the smears against Perry any minute now.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

agreed Perry should have pushed back more on this. And I also agree Cain handled this badly. It was like Perry’s heartless comments. It smacks to much of the liberals gameplan and frankly as a conservative I’m tired of it. It is not heartless to want a secure nation and it is not heartless to want my tax money to go to needed american citizens. i don’t care what color or race they are I care they are american citizens.

And in this country a person should not be considered a racist simply because of the color of one’s skin or where he grew up. Perry’s actions over the years have neve rhinted at racism as far a sI know and for Cain to accuse him of this is inexcusable. and the quickness with which he did almost makes me believe it was a planned attack on Perry from Mitt/Cain that is backfiring.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

so you admit you are assuming something about someone based on their actions not their actual words and you tell the poster to seek help?

Why don’t you try reading a person’s comments and not injecting your assumptions into them.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The Steebo cultist words from yesterday.

Exit question: you know who this helps?

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Exit answer: not Perry, not Cain.

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Yep, I read them as Steebo cultist gloated again over someones mistake, cause you know, all mistakes help Sarah Palin and her stealth campaign.

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

i’ll be the first to admit it is my opinion but its an opinion based on watching Mitt and his butt boys in action for the last 3 years on the smears they did to Palin.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

This is what Cain said today:

Herman Cain pushed back Monday against criticism that he had unfairly called opponent Rick Perry “insensitive” when asked about a rock displaying a racial epithet at a ranch leased by the Texas governor.

“All I said was the mere fact that that word was there was ‘insensitive,’ ” Cain said outside Trump Tower in Manhattan, N.Y., according to the National Review. “That’s not playing the race card. I am not attacking Gov. Perry. Some people in the media want to attack him. I’m done with that issue!”

(…)

Cain seemed eager to put the issue behind himself Monday, asking reporters to instead ask about “what’s important to the American people” rather than “beat this distraction to death about a word that appeared on a rock.”

“I really don’t care about that word,” Cain said. “They painted over it. End of story! I accept Gov. Perry’s response on that.”

That should be an end to the whole thing. I still think Cain does not much like Perry, but I honestly don’t think it has anything to do with this sign business.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Do you have anything whatsoever to back that up?

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Something seriously wrong that you’d sit on a thread, hijack it with your whining for over 4 hours.

Four Hours, almost five!

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

The only one who actually attacked Perry as far as I can see Spathi and strangely these so called Perry supporters are largely ignoring him, and going after your rather ambiguous statement from another thread, not this one.

The idiot crowd throwing popcorn doesn’t bother me much. Its probably best to just ignore them, if you want my advice. They are more like permanent trolls who have resident status at HotAir than actual commenter’s.

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Dang, just when I thought the hole went dry. Where is idesign though?

You two just rehash the same stuff. At least sheryl brought something newish.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

funny when I read them I thought it helps Mitt. How does this help Palin. She too has been accused of racism, so those looking for a “nonracist” would not go towards Palin. Perry is no longer a front runner so his continued implosion doesn’t help Palin at all. His time as a conservative torchbearer was over with his heartless comments so again it doesn’t help Palin. Cain playing into the left’s hands doesn’t help him at all. So the big winner form this story and its after math is Mitt.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Oh come on..now you are blaming Mitt Romney for smears to Palin?? That is absurd. I should have known this had something to do with Palin. Everything does as far as you are concerned.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Wow, that’s remarkably similar to my comments yesterday:

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

No they aren’t. His were coherent and on point.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I haven’t seen anything from Perry that would substantiate a race charge, quite the opposite. Cain has to have seen the same, so he either is comfortable with throwing out these charges or he is playing politics.

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

not strange. They don’t consider ron Paul a threat. They should because at the end of the day I wouldn’t be surprised if ron Paul out polls perry in the end.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Because that’s what I wrote? Oh wait, I didn’t write that. But your assumptions about me led you and your peers to jump to the crazy conclusion that I wrote something that I never did in fact write.

***

Question: Did I mention Palin in my comments?
Answer: No, I did not.

Question: Was I accused of injecting Palin into the discussion?
Answer: Yes, I was.

Question: Was this accusation against me false?
Answer: Yes, it was false.

***

Question: Did I endorse the WaPo’s smears in my comments?
Answer: No, I did not.

Question: Was I accused of endorsing the WaPo’s smears?
Answer: Yes, I was.

Question: Was this accusation against me false?
Answer: Yes, it was false.

***

Question: Did I take a gleeful tone in my comments?
Answer: No, I did not.

Question: Was I accused of taking a gleeful tone?
Answer: Yes, I was.

Question: Was this accusation against me false?
Answer: Yes, it was false.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM

How does this help Palin? Well, after that debate when Bachmann went after Perry about the vaccines and the money he got from the Merck etc, Palin backed Bachmann up on her charges of crony capitalism directed at Perry. I heard her myself, she was on Greta’s show right after that debate. So maybe it was Palin that started this, because she does not like Perry.

Or maybe it was the WaPo doing the same kind of crap to Perry that they do to Republicans every day. I think it was the latter myself.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

agreed. but like I said the quickness of the attack is starting to make me think it was planned. but it could as easily be that Cain is just a jacka## that likes to throw the race card out at the drop of the hat.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Yeah, I think I’ve defended myself sufficiently at this point and there lies are pretty self-evident to anyone with a fair mind. Probably best to move on.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM

When you get to ask and answer your own questions…you still only do so-so.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I personally believe this to be the most plausible explanation.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Well that only took two days.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Oh yes, Mitt is the reason Sarah Palin resigned, did a reality show with crazy Kate, decided to declare war on her daughters sleezy boyfriend publicly and now is threatening a lawsuit against the scumbag who wrote a tell all book about her, instead of taking the high road and ignoring some of the garbage thrown at her.

Yes, this is definitely Mitt Rommney’s doing////

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

why would she back Bahcmann up on the crony capitalism. Palin introcduced it as one of her main platforms. Bachmann was simply stealing the idea from Palin.

Palin doesn’t have 3 years of history planting stories of people she doesn’t like, nor does she have connections to wapo that would run with this story. Mitt has both. And Why would the WApo do this during the primary. This story is tailored made for a general campaign not a primary. This hurts Obama in the long run because a story liek this would be great to use during the general.

Again the signs point to Mitt’s campaign.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Did anyone notice that the WaPo writer is based in Nairobi…?

d1carter on October 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I think the Left/MSM will be sorry it touched this story. Texas DEMOCRATS have come out to support Perry:

This is blowing up BIG time in the Left’s faces.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I don’t think this is fair. Initially Cain simply said the sign was insensitive, and he followed that with remarks about how much more insensitive Obama is..and then today he said the whole matter was closed and was not important anyway. He is not pursuing this or trying to beat Perry over the head with it. It is true that people should give Perry the benefit of the doubt here, all in all, this is just a distraction anyway..but at the same time they should do the same thing for Cain. After all, he is trying to walk away from this himself now.

Maybe it is one of those things that people should just let go. It is after all, very silly.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Ron Paul may rise in the polls but he won’t win the general.

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

You’ve defended nothing. What you have done is make a fool out of yourself, hijacked a thread to make it all about you, for over 5 hours.

Five hours.

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Well that only took two days.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

And you flung lies and poo the whole time.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM

It wasn’t just about me. It was about showing what a bunch of dishonest hypocrites several of the posters here are.

Five hours.

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM

And I still managed to finalize two presentations, a memo, and a handful of monthly reports in that time.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Ron Paul may rise in the polls but he won’t win the general.

sharrukin on October 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

He won’t win the primary, either.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I agree. That this may be a Mitt/Cain attack is believable. This is not the first time that Cain has attacked Gov. Perry and supported Romney. When Cain first appeared in the debates, he didn’t attack anyone. Then all of a sudden he has, but it has been Gov. Perry, no one else.

Bachmann, Santorum, Ron Paul, Romney all have attacked Perry. And now Cain. That makes me say, Hmmmmmm, and why?

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

“you said in plain speech you don’t want an evangelical conservative not just in the White House, but nowhere near the White House.”

I said I didn’t want Perry’s controversial evangelicals that he organized his prayer event with near the White House, e.g. Bryan Fischer, Mike Bickle, the New Apostolic Reformation, etc.

That’s a pretty big difference than the way you are characterizing my stance as being against all of the Christian Right., which is a complete and utter falsehood. That’s like saying because I abhorred Rev. Wright’s message I’m against black churches.

“I can’t think of a single key conservative issue”

Your lack of ability doesn’t sway me nor does your so-called conservative pedigree argument that so many make against Romney. Romney is just as conservative as Ronald Reagan was and that’s fine by me.

“Oh and don’t think for a second the media won’t launch start openly asking questions about Mormonism and its checkered past if Romney is the nominee.”

They’ll try though Romney grew up in a household with parents that have a great civil rights record. It won’t work.

sheryl on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM

And if you were my employee, I’d fire you.

5 Hours on the bosses dime?

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I blame Rove for the smears — he just uses Romney — in fact you can take some of these stories about Perry and others and bet they come right out of Rove. That is his MO as we saw it in TX in 1998 — saw in 2010 when he was backing Kay Bailey, and in 2006 when he was backing the Press Secretary’s Mom who was running as an Indy for Governor. Romney is his pawn and will do anything to win.

As for Cain, Perry came from a very poor background in W. Texas as a son of tenant farmers so not cutting Cain any slack because of his background either. He didn’t even bother to find out the truth and refused to apologize on Hannity. He sounded like the Dems on Obama who didn’t hesitate to call us racist without the facts.

Have no respect left for Cain but then I didn’t know until recently he supported Romney in 2008.

PhiKapMom on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Yes, this is definitely Mitt Rommney’s doing////

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

Palin resigned because of the frivolus ethic complaints and the money it wa staking to defend herself for the same and the fact her office was spending 80% of their time doing so. there is a direct link to the people filing those ethic complaints and Obama’s former CoS.

Palin’s TV show and the narrative about a “reality show” was started and pushed by Rove and I gues smitt’s buttboys could have had a hand in that.

Palin never declared “war” on Levi. Levi very publicly tried to milk his position for money including a playgirl spread. Palin said she hoped he would find his way in life. I don’t think she ever said anything bad about him. maybe I missed this “war” I tried to tune out the tabloid crap that the MSM and people like ACe the clowns were trying to push.

the high road? So now the high road means allowing someone to write a book full of lies about you, your family and your past. to allow something like that to go without a rebuttle is not the “highroad” it is taking the cowards way out.

And what does any of that have to do with my opinion that Mitt’s team were the ones pushing this rock issue?

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

This is blowing up BIG time in the Left’s faces.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Well, keep in mind that Perry used to be a Democrat..in fact back in the days when they leased this camp I would imagine his whole family. Most Texans were back then. So they might well consider it an insult to the state as much as to Perry. Southern Democrats are touchy about all that stuff.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

PhiKapMom on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

yeah it could just as easily be Rove but I don’t see why if the bush wing is pushing Chrisite they would do this now. It will help mitt not christie and I doubt rove would do something to intentionally help Mitt at this stage. but the TX angle is interesting…

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

So where is your evidence. You don’t have evidence, you have paranoia.

You hate everyone except Palin..she and only she can win the nomination as far as you are concerned. You don’t like Perry, you have made that plain. You don’t like Cain and now you accusing Romney of being behind this silly story without any evidence at all. None. Nada..all you have to say is he smeared Saint Sarah..how exactly? Was her fall all the fault of Romney? Was he behind those frivolous ethics charges you are always talking about?

Please. give it a rest.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM

And if you were my employee, I’d fire you.

5 Hours on the bosses dime?

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I’m salaried and worked a 60+ hour week last week (including time on the weekend). And I only checked in on this thread every few minutes between tasks and phone calls. I’m sure my boss doesn’t care.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

PhiKapMom on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM

More paranoia. Rampant. The WaPo does not need help from Rove or Romney or anyone else. Besides, Jeb Bush actually backed Perry on the whole tuition controversy.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

it is very interesting that no one has gone after mitt isn’t it in all the debates. even the second tier refused to do so. like timmy instead he attacked Bachmann then endorsed Mitt.

Paul I think it’s personal with him and Perry. I keep thinking about thos ephotos that Paul “couldn’t remember” what was said. That was not a friendly conversaiton form the looks of it. By why would the others not attack Mitt and Perry. and instead simply attack Perry. doesn’t make sense.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

They are all doing Huntsman’s bidding.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

PhiKapMom on October 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Where is your evidence that Rove had anything to do with this. There is no more evidence that Rove had anything at all to do with this nonsense, than there is that Perry is a racist.

Perry has a lot of enemies right there in Texas..besides the Washington Post is quite capable of digging up some obscure crap like this and running with it. They don’t need any help.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

They have all attacked Romney too…and each other, largely because they are running for the same job. Sheesh. Is that such a surprise? Really?

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM

After all, he is trying to walk away from this himself now.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I’m one of those heartless conservatives that treat people on their actions. Cain thought to use this and when he found it wasn’t working he is walking it back. It showed a glimpse of the real Cain and I didn’t like what I saw.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Cain said the word was insensitive. He didn’t accuse Perry of racism. I think the media is smearing both men. Anyway, who else do we have to vote for besides Cain? He’s still got my support.

joe_doufu on October 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Read his statement from yesterday again.

I can think of two better candidates than Cain: Perry and Gingrich.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

They are all doing Huntsman’s bidding.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

LOL.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

No, you are one of those Palinistas who craps all over everybody but Palin and then whines about how badly treated she is.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

can think of two better candidates than Cain: Perry and Gingrich.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I agree Newt is looking better.

I won’t vote for Perry because I have no heart.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

tell you what when Palin accuses someone of being a racist come and talk to me.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I agree Newt is looking better.

I won’t vote for Perry because I have no heart.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:35 PM

And I won’t vote for Cain because he will not support Perry if he is the nominee.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

This was the proper response from Cain now that he has the whole story. He “jumped the gun” earlier when the MSM questioned him but now he has “walked it back”. I think he has redeemed himself as he implicitly admitted he spoke too soon before.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Your mitt love is strong. Of course Jeb would back him. you remember shamnesty don’t you. jeb isn’t goign to chang ehis views about illegals

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Cain said this today, I posted it once, but it deserves a repeat:

(…)

Considering the number of times Perry has put his foot in his mouth maybe people should cut Cain some slack here.

Read his statement from yesterday again.

I can think of two better candidates than Cain: Perry and Gingrich.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I like Cain, but I am not sure he is the best candidate, however, I think that people are being way too hard on both him and Perry over this. Personally, I just think he does not much like Perry and that is his right. But it might have something to do with his reaction here.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

did he apoloize to Perry?

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I won’t support Perry if he is the nominee.

Did he back of that?.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM

My mitt love is not half as strong your mental and emotional obsession with Palin..so take a break from raving and come up with some evidence. After all, if you are going to accuse Mitt Romney or anyone else of being behind this..then back it up.

Besides, to be honest. I think it was Palin that turned them on to this information. The only reason you doubt that is your love for all things Sarah Palin.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I agree and if people really think this whole thing was just a hit job {and it sure seems like it is}…then they should let it go at this.

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM

bluefox

It’s all a part of Palin’s plan to win the election without ever becoming a candidate. Don’t you love it when a plan comes together?

xblade on October 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM

xblade on October 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I knew it!!!

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM

This incident? Oh, In three months, you can be sure they’ll be plenty busy with an all new incident Cain will provide.

Dongemaharu on October 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

In three months, Cain will have dropped out and endorsed Romney.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

believe what you will Palin doesn’t work that way. Mitt on the other hand has a long history of trying to do things like this…

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM

In three months, Cain will have dropped out and endorsed Romney.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

agreed.

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

It won’t be Romney he endorces.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

He’s already endorsed him. He “chose” him to be his VP at the “debate”.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Except in this ABC interview Cain was not simply saying the word was insensitive, he was pressing the issue of Perry himself being insensitive and dismissed that it was painted over. He was in the wrong here, plain and simple and he has already killed his momentum once before by not having all the facts.

Then again, Perry twice insulted his base on the in state tuition issue, so to me it’s a wash. He got a taste of his own medicine.

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM

did he apoloize to Perry?

unseen on October 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I hope not. He never called Perry a racist, nor heartless. He had only said it was insensitive. Perry could have gotten rid of the rock, so he is not entirely 100% innocent. Explanations, or further comments/clarifications, are more solid and believable than “apologies” anyway.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM

xblade on October 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Heh!

CannedTomatoes on October 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM

It won’t be Romney he endorces.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I don’t see who else it would be other than maybe Palin if she’s in the race then (although he’s already shown some antipathy toward her, including in his remarks on Madcow today).

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM

After what Cain has now said, if Perry wants an apology, he is a small man. Is Perry unsatisfied with what Cain has now said and asking for/demanding a formal apology?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Cain did not “merely” say the word was insenstive. He accused Perry of not covering up the word quick enough. Cain implied Perry was a racist yesterday and he’s spinning a web of deceit today. He’s asking us to believe him over our “lying ears” yesterday.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Cain is definitely not able! The man has never run for office before in his life. He has never had to operate with the kind of accountability that a public officer does. A CEO has near dictatorial power over his employees. A POTUS must satisfy the people AND work with Congress. And so many here want to place all of their confidence in this political neophyte?

He has had already demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge about government. He has also demonstrated a remarkable ability to stick his foot in his mouth. He has shown that he cannot rise to the challenge of political combat even before he has been challenged. This man is not the one to put against an incumbent president in what is certain to be the sleaziest, dirty and vicious campaign we will ever see. Cain has not shown that he has the discipline to stay on message in the face of smears, lies and traps and I don’t think that he can. In fact, he I think that he is ripe to allow this election become some kind of referendum on social issues and that is the worst of all outcomes in terms of being able to capture the WH. This election must be about jobs and the economy. Neither campaigning nor governing is the time for on the job training.

We need a proven quantity or we will pay a price that we can’t afford. The way we lose this election is by nominating somebody who is not up to the job. To those who want Cain, all I can say is be careful what you wish for.

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Perry has not asked for, nor implied that he wants, an apology from Cain. Straw man, Inky.

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

It won’t be Romney he endorces.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Should we care? Do you think endorsements matter a hill of beans?

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I did not hear his comments about Sarah on Mancow. If she is in and he does not support Sarah then he is no conservative.

I’m ducking.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

You must not know what a straw man is. I never said he asked for/demanded an apology after Cain has now said what he has, and would think he likely wouldn’t unless he wants to look small, which I doubt he does.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Nice post.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM

People seem to be missing a key issue here about the gay soldier…. he was not allowed to do what he did.
He was wearing his uniform and participated in a public political debate confronting a candidate over a political issue.

He broke military law! And no one seems to care.

His actions, if repeated by other soldiers will be a new dangerous trend! The true politicization of our military!
Department of Defense (DoD) Directive 1344.10 and Army Regulation 600-20.

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.1. Participate in partisan political fundraising activities (except as permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1.7.), rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on one’s own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator. (See subparagraph 4.1.1.9.)

4.1.2.2. Use official authority or influence to interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

4.1.2.3. Allow or cause to be published partisan political articles, letters, or endorsements signed or written by the member that solicits votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause. This is distinguished from a letter to the editor as permitted under the conditions noted in subparagraph 4.1.1.6.

4.1.2.4. Serve in any official capacity with or be listed as a sponsor of a partisan political club.

4.1.2.5. Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.7. Conduct a political opinion survey under the auspices of a partisan political club or group or distribute partisan political literature.

4.1.2.8. Perform clerical or other duties for a partisan political committee or candidate during a campaign, on an election day, or after an election day during the process of closing out a campaign.

4.1.2.9. Solicit or otherwise engage in fundraising activities in Federal offices or facilities, including military reservations, for any political cause or candidate.

4.1.2.10. March or ride in a partisan political parade.

And as for this other crap with Herman Cain…. he makes me sick!
What they heck is it with these candidates! Every freaking time I start liking one of them they start acting like some RINO or liberal!
If Herman Cain can sell out to the media this easily and so quickly, what’s he going to be like in office? A freaking pandering SOB! Screw him! I am sick of RINO’s and panderers!
I am ready to vote for freaking Ron Freaking Paul right now over Perry and Cain and Romnney! At least in him we know what we’re getting!

JellyToast on October 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I aagree with you..Perry should stay above the fray..:)

Dire Straits on October 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM

When are you going to answer my question?

I won’t support Perry if he is the nominee.

Did he back of that?.

derft on October 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I agree with you..Perry should stay above the fray..:)

Dire Straits on October 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Fixed

Dire Straits on October 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Terrye on October 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Yep. This is not the first time we’ve seen it and it will happen a lot more in the coming months. Get used to it folks. Act like you’ve been here before, because you have.

The infighting and bickering is just amazing. The LSM and Obama are the “enemy”, not each other. When Obama gets his second term because everyone’s too busy gnawing on each others ankles I hope you’ll be happy with yourselves.

kim roy on October 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM

The man has never run for office before in his life.

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I agree with a lot of your post, except for the above-quoted line. Cain did have an unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination to run for Senate in Georgia back in 2004, only making a 26% showing.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I won’t support Perry either. In state tuition for people illegally in the country, against E-Verify, against a fence/wall, “last names”, “heartless”, campaign “contributions” for serf master employers. If I was a Mexican I probably would, but I am not. Perry is worse than McCain. I might as well support Vicente Fox as Perry.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

You learn something new every day. TY.

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

No worse than Perry calling people racists and heartless.

They all have their “issues”. No amount of spin is going to change that.

kim roy on October 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM

kim roy on October 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I agree..Maybe some of the Palinistas will read your comment and take it to heart!..:)

Dire Straits on October 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

This is food for the trolls and the two-bit media provocateurs. Herman Cain’s right on the issues and has the solutions to America’s most pressing problems. Did he lie? Move on – nothin’ to see here….

DanaSmiles on October 3, 2011 at 6:20 PM

As I have consistently said all along… this race is Sarah Palin’s to lose. She is the missing piece here! Her absence in this campaign is becoming more and more apparent every day!

JellyToast on October 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM

“Hi folks…!”

Seven Percent Solution on October 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Wow, that’s remarkably similar to my comments yesterday:

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Well of course, anything to damage anyone else but Palin…BTW, has she announced yet, or is salmon season still open?

right2bright on October 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM

JellyToast on October 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM

She can’t win a race she ain’t in…so this talk abut “hers to lose”, well it’s just all talk.
Face it…she is not running, except running you and her other fans in circles…

right2bright on October 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM

right2bright on October 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I’ve never said anything about salmon season, ever. More imaginary comments, I guess.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Yeah, he ran against Johnny Isakson and actually got more votes than the incumbent. Johnny has endorsed Herman Cain.”The other Georgian in the race, former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain, received similarly supportive feedback from the state’s senators.

“Herman’s a very articulate guy, he’s got a good business background,” Isakson said. “He’s a great speaker, and I know Herman well and have a high regard for he and [Gingrich] both.”

Cain ran against Isakson in the 2004 Republican primary for Senate. Isakson recalled the race, in which Cain placed second, saying that Cain “was underestimated… It was a three-man race, and the incumbent Congressman who ran against me finished third.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/20/georgia-senators-say-dont-count-gingrich-out/#ixzz1ZlCs6F42

DanaSmiles on October 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

kim roy on October 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Dire Straits on October 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I’ll pass commenting specifically on your passive aggressive posturing and note that you proved my point as I did not mention any specific group. I hope those ankles you are biting on are clean.

kim roy on October 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

MJBrutus on October 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM

LOL…

MJBrutus, is that the cue for Romney and his attack dogs to begin the take-down of Cain? They promoted him – don’t you think they need to enjoy at least another week of Cain-flavor?

TheRightMan on October 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM