Is Cain the biggest loser in WaPo’s hit on Perry?

posted at 12:05 pm on October 3, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes, competition can make people abandon their natural common sense.  That arguably happened yesterday to Herman Cain, who must have seen the Washington Post exposé on Rick Perry about a Texas hunting ranch lease from the 1980s as an opening to hit one of the frontrunners in the race.  Cain appeared on ABC’s This Week and blasted Perry as “insensitive” (mildly NSFW):

This certainly seemed like a gift in the middle of a tough campaign, but as Jazz wrote yesterday, the Post’s story had a lot of holes in it — starting with the problem that they didn’t even find the rock in question, and that Perry’s family didn’t own or name the ranch, but in fact found the name offensive enough to cover with paint and flip over. Instead of waiting for more information, though, Cain accepted the premise of the Post’s article, which raised the ire of some conservatives, if my Twitter feed yesterday was any indication.

The Boss Emeritus provides some needed context to the Post’s attack:

The Post interviewed dozens of people. The New York Timesfollowed up with another crack investigation of hazy memories of bygone days.

They’ve given “stoning” a whole new meaning.

Has Perry actually used the racial epithet himself — you know, like the late, former KKK leader Robert Byrd did as recently as 2001?

Did Perry condescendingly refer to a black politician as “articulate and bright and clean” like Biden did when he described Barack Obama in 2007?

Did Perry racially stereotype Hispanics for political gain or refer offensively to President Obama’s “light skin” and “lack of a Negro dialect” like Senate Democrat leader Harry Reid did just last year?

This prompted Michael Tomasky at The Daily Beast to write that the biggest loser of the ranch flap is likely to be Cain, and not Perry (via The Week):

And it is instructive, is it not, that no other candidate jumped on this revelation? Think about the conversations that must have gone on in Mitt Romney’s camp, or in Rick Santorum’s. I bet they weren’t even very long conversations. It’s a charge that emanates from the liberal media, and the last thing in the world, and I mean the very last thing, a candidate chasing Republican primary votes wants to do is sound like that. It’s a dead certainty that we won’t hear another peep about this story from them.

As for Cain, one wonders what synapse snapped into action there. He has been reliably on message on such matters, saying things like (as he said even yesterday) two thirds of black Americans are victims of “brainwashing” against conservatism. I guess he just doesn’t know his steam-locomotive history. But he said what he said, and now he’s going to have to prove to these people, just as he was gaining a little momentum, that he isn’t morphing into Al Sharpton.

As for Perry himself, he seems unlikely to be hurt very much. One supposes it is possible that some group of GOP panjandrums will send up a smoke signal, gather in lower Manhattan, and decide that this is another sign that Perry isn’t the man to put forward next November. If he’d been coming off three dominant debate performances and was still running away with it, he could wrap himself in the highest possible dudgeon and try to chop the Post to pieces for the amusement of a salivating base constituency. But since he’s on the downswing for now, he needs to play defense, which is what his camp did yesterday. This charge may make some conservatives feel that Perry is a tad embarrassing. But how many will it personally offend? Let’s face it, based on the evidence of the last debate, the GOP base thinks Perry isn’t racially insensitive enough, giving $100,000 college-education discounts to all those illegal brown children.

I don’t find it at all surprising that Cain, who grew up in poverty and oppressive state-backed racism, would have an immediate and emotional reaction to this story.  It seems almost churlish to scold him for calling it “insensitive,” a rather mild criticism considering the nature of the term.  The other candidates in the GOP race for the nomination don’t have a history with this term as Cain does and could approach it more coolly, perhaps, while looking at the greater strategy of avoiding the potential backfire when the story came apart.

That said, the media has quite a track record of highlighting tenuous connections to racism when it comes to Republicans while, pardon the pun, whitewashing it when it comes to Democrats.  Conservatives who were angry with Perry over his harsh reaction to criticism of his state-based tuition breaks for children of illegal immigrants might tend to rally around him after watching a national media outlet accuse him falsely of perpetuating an ugly term that Perry himself said “has no place in the modern world.”  They’re not likely to look kindly on those who bolster the case of the media, regardless of the context of life experience from which the reaction originates.  That’s why it’s always best when these media “exposés” arise to withhold judgment until all of the facts are on the table.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

“Liar, prove it” –steebo77

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Like I said before, you are the liar, and you are doubling and tripling down. I can prove it, and I already have repeatedly. But go on insisting that I’m “delusional” and maybe history will rewrite itself.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Someone please send this to Cain – http://moelane.com/2011/10/02/rsrh-looks-like-i-have-to-repost-my-ten-media-truths/

antisocial on October 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Great advice; hope it’s followed!!

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I think Cain had his wires crossed on this one. He jumps all over Perry over a supposed racial slur on a rock without proof but he blows off the racist jabs by Jon Stewart and Bill Maher. You’re swinging in the wrong direction Herman. BTW, taking cheap shots at all of your competitors on Jay Leno is of poor taste.

mizflame98 on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Oof. Cain is inexperienced in handling matters like this, and it underscores larger deficits, particularly in foreign policy. He’s used to being a pundit/talk show host who can shoot from the hip and even go nuclear. But being prez requires a much more thoughtful, statesmanlike approach. He has many positive attributes, and his business background is indeed stellar but clearly he’s not the right guy for the White House. That being said, he would make a great cabinet member (Commerce? Labor?) and is a wonderful motivational speaker, and I’m glad he’s on our team as a spokesman for fiscal issues.

Buy Danish on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Herman Cain’s daddy was Bob Woodruff’s Coca Cola Company limousine driver.

Herman is deeply part of the special Atlanta black/white cooperation different from the rest of the South.It is well portrayed in Driving Miss Daisy.

The symbol of the true equality for Atlanta blacks has been the making taboo of the slur N—er, which means an uneducated and unclean man.

The State of Texas has always used Hispanics as their standard of uneducated and unclean men.

To distinguish themselves, the nickname for Atlanta in Texas has always been N—er Town.

So Cain is being as authentic as it gets here.

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, but what is the Media doing to get Fast & Furious to the forefront? That’s a bigger scandal than Watergate. Add to that Solyndra…

This is just nit picking of the highest order.

kirkill on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

The biggest couch won’t help you because you can’t be helped.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I was always taught, and believe to this day, that you shouldn’t tease the mentally challenged. But when they constantly put themselves out there and beg for it…well, I only strive for perfection. I never claimed to be perfect.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Buy Danish on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Well said.

Kataklysmic on October 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM

How would I know you aren’t lying? Go ahead. Prove it. I’ve seen your intellectual dishonesty before.

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Also, care to provide any examples of my “intellectual dishonesty?”

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Cain nailed Perry on his Racist Ranch.

Perry campaign is in disarray.

Spathi on October 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

You’re full of it, Spazzi.

So when is Ron Paul going to publicly renounce his association with Don Black? I’m waiting.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Not a big enough mistake to matter in the long run. I think Cain will learn from the mistake and be more careful in the future. It may hurt Perry with wishy washy people who don’t bother to find the facts out. All in all not a big deal. If he had attacked on it in a debate it might have been

ldbgcoleman on October 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Cain is establishing a pattern of this. And I’ve seen no backtracking or apology. What is he going to do or say next?

Rush said that Cain has said that he should have supported the gay soldier when he was booed(not) in the debate. So Cain is adding to his “mistakes”. How many mistakes is one allowed?

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

?

I don’t know where you came up with that.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

So Cain is being as authentic as it gets here.

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

What?!? I’ve never heard it called that. I’ve heard it called Hotlanta.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Well gosh, that only took one page of ranting before you dug up the proof that destroys your own case.

Good going!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

And I’ve lived in Texas all my life, and I’ve probably head every racial slur there is, but not in years.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’ve lived in Texas for the past 15 years and I’ve never heard of the crap you’re claiming. You might need to post some references to back up your claims.

mizflame98 on October 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Heard, not head.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Yup, The Hermanator sure messed up on this. He dared say he found the name offensive…didn’t hear him say that evil racist Perry should have rushed right out with a can of white (white!) paint and put another coat on the rock, or that he should withdraw from the race….

Sort of reminds me of the furor over “Gardasil,” carried along past its sell-by date by a certain “conservative” blogger/columnist. Ring any familiar bells, Ed? Did someone screech like a gut-shot loon — several times — that Perry was running around (figuratively) forcing young women into promiscuous sex and injecting them with awful drugs against their wills?

Seems to me I heard something like that. Several times.

Cain is getting a raw deal. His biggest crime is that he says what he thinks. Are we all supposed to be so worried about Political Correctness and “optics” that we say only namby-pamby generalities that offend no one?

MrScribbler on October 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM

and maybe history will rewrite itself.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

History writes itself. We’re but a speck of insignificance in it.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM

As one who has supported Cain from the getgo, he was right to point out use of the word is insensitive.

He was wrong to place the blame at the feet of Perry and imply Perry is racist.

He needs to back down on this.

rukiddingme on October 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I think Cain jumped the gun, but I’m going to cut him slack, knowing where he grew up. I’m hoping he and Perry have a private meeting about the whole deal, so the air can be cleared.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

What?!? I’ve never heard it called that. I’ve heard it called Hotlanta.

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Atlanta came up with that one themselves. The company I worked for at the time was headquartered there. I didn’t care for Atlanta (more humid than Houston, and more full of themselves than Dallas).

Not a bad place though. The Texas and the General are there (engines from the great locomotive chase, though the general is actually in Kennesaw).

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Good going!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

No. It destroys your case. I was accused of being gleeful over the smears against Perry, endorsing them, and saying that the whole episode helped Palin. I did none of those things:

Exit question: you know who this helps?

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Exit answer: not Perry, not Cain.

steebo77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Which is substantially the same as:

This charge may make some conservatives feel that Perry is a tad embarrassing

Like I said before (and for which I was excoriated), this whole episode helps neither Perry nor Cain.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:11 PM

To which you responded:

If you had put it that way, you wouldn’t have been excoriated and you know it.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Looks like you’re the one proven to be in the wrong here. I never expressed glee at the smears, I never endorsed them, and I never said this episode helps Palin.

I rest my case.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

As for Perry himself, he seems unlikely to be hurt very much.

Macaca

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Also, care to provide any examples of my “intellectual dishonesty?”

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Contradiction of terms

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

None of these candidates understand the media. Their ignorance and naivete is astonishing and sad. And I believe this — part of a larger toothlessness and cluelesness — is why Christie is considering a run. He looks around at this weak field and sees nothing but opportunity. He sees no one who will stand up to him and no one who will stand up to the media.

rrpjr on October 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Perhaps Cain, if he wants to comment on racial issues, could address this:

This is recent and photos exist.

Cody1991 on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I rest my case.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

And go back to hugging your life size inflatable doll which reminds you of the candidate you were cheering for when you made the comments.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Contradiction of terms

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

You’re full of it….

1. Intellectual dishonesty
Intellectual dishonesty is the advocacy of a position known to be false. An argument which is misused to advance an agenda or to reinforce one’s deeply held beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary.

The terms intellectually dishonest and intellectual dishonesty are often used as rhetorical devices in a debate; the label invariably frames an opponent in a negative light. It is a round about way to say “you’re lying”.

The statement that all hurricanes are caused by global warming is intellectually dishonest. Stating as fact that lung cancer is unrelated to cigarette smoking is intellectual dishonesty.

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

To me, it is a non-issue. Being blind-sided with a sucker punch and not knowing the facts, what else could Cain have said. I don’t think the old Private in the Marine Crops answer would do: “I don’t know the answer sir, but I will research and get back to you the answer.”

He didn’t say, Perry is a usual GOP representative, racist to the core. He also didn’t say, Lady, your an idiot and don’t know what your talking about. (My preferred answer if knowing the hindsight facts.)

Insensitive is a relatively safe answer if the facts are either true or false.

Therefore, Cain still had credibility with his answer and I will continue to evaluate him as my nomination.

PrettyD_Vicious on October 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Again, this is an image emanating from your mind, not from reality.

You were proven wrong, and instead of owning up to it, you continue with the lying, taunting, and namecalling.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM

You’re full of it….

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

And you are practicing it. It was you who busted Bevo about his dishonesty.

Just so much fun sometimes.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

You proved that you missed the point. Think some more.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

MrScribbler on October 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM

The problem with Cain is that he speaks before he thinks. This has nothing to do with PC. This has to do with judgement. I’m not running for President, but good grief I know enough not to believe everything I hear, LOL And, especially from the left wing MSM!!!

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Like I wrote earlier…you just stick with that.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

And you are practicing it. It was you who busted Bevo about his dishonesty.

Just so much fun sometimes.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Huh? idesign busted whom about what? When? Where?

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Like I wrote earlier…you just stick with that.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

And bless your lying little heart, too.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

BTW, while we’re distracted by this trumped-up story about Perry, Christian Adam’s “Injustice” (about Holder’s DOJ) just hit the stands.

Buy Danish on October 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

This is much to-do about nothing. The media is going after Cain and playing on his race. Cain even qualified his statement (smart!). Even using the word “insensitive” is very mild. He didn’t say Perry was evil, blah blah blah.

Time to move on (except for the media which will probably make up that Perry himself painted the letters on the rock-several times-).

MikeM on October 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

mizflame98 on October 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I was born and raised in Texas, went to college in east Texas and have never heard that either. It’s just been known as Hotlanta.

TxAnn56 on October 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Buy Danish on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Good. We can file this away for the next person who says “how dare you say that Palin should only be Energy Secretary.”

KingGold on October 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Nonsense. Born and raised there, know better.

And steebo & cozmo. Get a room already. It’s shameless the way you flirt.

Irritable Pundit on October 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Herman Cain’s daddy was Bob Woodruff’s Coca Cola Company limousine driver.
So Cain is being as authentic as it gets here.

jimw on October 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’m not sure when the last time was when I heard such sociology horse manure. Texas used Hispanics as uneducated, unclean men? Racism, against both Blacks and Hispanics existed since the beginning of Texas, but Hispanics (Tejanos) fought with us against Mexico. We have streets, counties, cities and buildings named after them: Seguin, Navarro, Flores… they are recognized Texas heroes.
I was born and raised in Texas, I remember “white” & “colored” entrances, restrooms and water fountains from my early youth and I have NEVER heard Atlanta referred to as that.

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Ward Cleaver on October 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

That’s fine, except no private meeting is necessary. Cain’s comments were made publicly, so his apology must be made that way also.

And if Cain is in the mood to apologize he can do so for the statement that he wouldn’t support Gov. Perry if he was the Republican Nominee for President. Also, clear up the latest statement that he should have apologized to the gay soldier that was booed(not) in that debate.

One additional point. It appears hardly anyone understands the definition of the word, so to jump off the deep end and assume it is a racial slur is not too smart, but revealing:-)

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Cain is coming off a couple wins and is a little too eager and accepting of friends right now. Throwing out the Race card period, but this early in the game? In a cozy sitdown on ABC This Weeek maybe he was a little off guard, maybe the desk intimidated him and threw him off the game, he should have left it at insensitive, then said something to the effect of the facts will play out come November. Instead he names Perry, questions when it was painted, and questions from the doubting side. Not played well, Cain, not played well at all.

Koa on October 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Reversed quote tags, sorry. :)

Irritable Pundit on October 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM

And you are practicing it. It was you who busted Bevo about his dishonesty.

Just so much fun sometimes.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You know who this helps? LOL

Are you so nuts that this question gets you all wee weed up?

This is your smoking gun?

The answer could be Christie, or any other candidate. but the fear of Palin has turned you into a deranged pretzel…:)

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Reversed quote tags, sorry. :)

Irritable Pundit on October 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM

That’s okay, we all do it sometime. A room with Bevo? I think not!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, Herman jumped the gun. He’s learning. I don’t think he’ll make the same mistakes twice. If he does, well, that will tell me to save my money as far as sending any to his campaign. I can forgive him this one.

princetrumpet on October 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

That’s okay, we all do it sometime. A room with Bevo? I think not!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

That’s right, because I’ve already gotten a room with “[my] life size inflatable doll which reminds [me] of the candidate [I was] cheering for when [I] made the comments.” Or something.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Herb is done. I would vote for Mitt before him after he showed his true colors.

Southernblogger on October 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

MikeM on October 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Agree, completely. This was just a gentle push-back, and nothing more…

The media is pushing the meme, because the only other story they currently have to cover is Christie…

God knows they’ll never dig into Fast-and-Furious and all the other REAL stuff out there….

OnlyOrange on October 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

That’s okay, we all do it sometime. A room with Bevo? I think not!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Lol! As an Aggie, I can’t imagine it either. ;)

Irritable Pundit on October 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

It’s on Fox News’ site – or it was the last time I was on there.

gophergirl on October 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Thanks, I found it:

The Georgia businessman told ABC’s “This Week” that it would have been “appropriate” for him to have defended the soldier. None of the candidates on stage at the Sept. 22 forum responded to the boos.

“In retrospect, because of the controversy it has created and because of the different interpretations that it could have had, yes, that probably — that would have been appropriate,” Cain said, when asked if he should have asked the audience to respect the soldier.

Cain said it wasn’t immediately clear to him what had drawn the audience’s scorn, adding, “I happen to think that maybe they were booing the whole ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ repeal more so than booing that soldier.”

It seems like Cain has turned into Pander bear.

Bill C on October 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Cain is getting a raw deal. His biggest crime is that he says what he thinks
/////
No,I beg to differ with you.Cain needs to realize that the media loves the ,gotcha moments, and tell them ,no comment, and instead focus on this president who is bankrupting us!

Wake-up candidates! The msm is not your friend,I may not be presidential material but I do realize the obvious.
THEY HATE REPUBLICANS AND ESPECIALLY CONSERVATIVES.

ohiobabe on October 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You know who this helps? LOL

Are you so nuts that this question gets you all wee weed up?

This is your smoking gun?

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

No, I am the deranged one. I am dishonest and delusional and have a life-size inflatable doll which reminds my preferred choice for president in 2012. Or something.

No matter how many times cozmo, et al., have been proven to be lying, they continue to double down. That’s how deep their derangement runs.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Alsi, I don’t buy the emotional reaction thing. He planned the response and threw pepper on top.

Southernblogger on October 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Relax, everything must hurt Perry. At least, according to one of the top five Perry haters here…Bevo.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM

LOL, Well, you can relax as I support Sarah first and Perry second:-) I don’t like haters period:-) I don’t like anyone being treated unfairly or unjustly or lied about and it makes do difference who it is.

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Agree to an extent. The way I see it, Cain is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t, getting pulled in opposite directions as a black Conservative American in the quagmire of race-relations and political division. This is what this country has become and more so since the historic inauguration of our first black president. Cain’s words were chosen carefully, imo, on the spot during the taping of an interview to be televised nationally.

Let’s get the blame back to where it squarely belongs–on the shoulders of Obama’s leftist, race-obsessed, over-protective, hyper-sensitive, trouble-making, “elitist” media.

RepubChica on October 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM

KingGold on October 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Why would that be an effective rebuttal? Buy Danish isn’t a Palin supporter. To me, the following scenario just doesn’t pack that much of a punch:

Commenter A: “That Palin sure knows her energy. Whoever wins should make her the energy secretary.”

Palinista: “I resent that. Palin should be on the top of the ticket!:

KingGold: “Not so fast with your outrage Mr. ‘Nista–Are you unaware that on 10/3/11 a Mitt supporter suggested that Cain would do well in a cabinet position?”

Yeah…

Kataklysmic on October 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I disagree. People don’t support those that are being falsely accused, at least I don’t. So this will hurt Cain and help Perry.

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM
“Liar, prove it” –steebo77

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Are you trying to complicate my life? LOL I’ll have to think about proving it. I’m blanching home grown tomatoes at the moment, getting them ready for freezing:-)

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM

If Palin gets in, I will support her as well. There are just some folks here who must inject her into every thread. Then defend her to the point of blowing a gasket. And they actually hate the other candidates whom they feel are stealing her thunder.

They are fun to play with for a while.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Cain needs to drop this issue immendiately, and offer some sort of polite, gentlemanyly apology to Perry for straining the issue. Cain does NOt need to carry the water for the Leftmedia but that’s what he’s done, also and again, unfortunately.

Lourdes on October 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I agree… and I still stand with Cain..

kringeesmom on October 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

You know who this helps?

That’s someone injecting Palin in a thread? LOL

You’re hilarious..:)

idesign on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

They are fun to play with for a while.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

It’s not nice to pick on insecure, attention seeking cultists//

Here comes the pile on!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Along the lines of what Rush just said… The Obama media doesn’t really care which R candidate this kind’a gotcha snare question hurts… They are just happy to have someone pickup and use the knife when they offer it.
The best rule is to answer EVERY question from the LSM with on thought in mind… How can I damage Obama with this answer.
The real answer to this question is…

“are you really asking me about a word, painted on a rock, that had been painted over a decade ago?. Can we please get serious about getting this country back on it’s feet and stop all of this nonesense”.

VegasRick on October 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM

and continue… ‘Obama is killing our nation in case you haven’t been paying attention…’

RalphyBoy on October 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Yeah…

Kataklysmic on October 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Wasn’t any attempt at a rebuttal. There are just a few too many people around here who think this or that candidate is beneath the stature of the presidency. It’s an underhanded slap, that’s all.

KingGold on October 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

THE CAIN IMPLOSION is in progress.

Too bad, I had high hopes.

PappyD61 on October 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I read this and since it gave an explanation of this word, I thot maybe it would help in this discussion:

As a technical term, “Ni**erhead” was, among others
izoneguy Sunday, October 2nd at 12:14PM EDT (link)

* a former British term for a black iron post for mooring ships, made from an old cannon partially buried muzzle upward, with a slightly oversize black cannonball covering the hole

* a former sailors’ term for an isolated coral head, notorious as navigation hazards

* among some American stonemasons, a term for a large smoothly rounded stone

* an antiquated term for a large round rock sticking up from the surface of a logging road, used by loggers and log truck drivers in the Pacific Northwest

* an old U.S. Navy term for a small winch, a Capstan

* a coal miner’s term for blackish iron disulfide nodular rock occurring at the top of the coal seams, often visible in coal mine roofs. Because of their density, they can fall from the roofs, injuring or killing the miners below

* an archaic term for the striking weight on a pile driver

* a term for a steam manifold, fountain, turret or header on a boiler, particularly that of a locomotive

The rock in question at the Perry Hunting Camp was painted and turned over
soon after Rick objected to it. That term goes back hundreds of years.
For Cain to pick up on a drive-ny media story and run with it shows the man
likes to play fast & loose with the facts. Someone like this cannot be trusted with the Presidency or any position in Federal government. And that is the thanks Rick Perry gets from Herman Cain, the only candidate who was considering him for VP!

The point cannot be made often enough: Modern liberalism, as embodied in the Obama presidency, is the defender of the status quo. And the status quo is a road to economic ruin. Political forces cannot redistribute the wealth that the economic system does not produce.

Read this comment also which adds to the one by izoneguy:

I am appauled that the term has been twisted out of context.
snowshooze Sunday, October 2nd at 2:33PM EDT (link)

Website link: As a technical term, “Ni**erhead” was, among others
izoneguy Sunday, October 2nd at 12:14PM EDT (link)

* among some American stonemasons, a term for a large smoothly rounded stone

* an old U.S. Navy term for a small winch, a Capstan

* an archaic term for the striking weight on a pile driver

The rock in question at the Perry Hunting Camp was painted and turned over
soon after Rick objected to it. That term goes back hundreds of years.
For Cain to pick up on a drive-ny media story and run with it shows the man

Read this comment also which adds to the one by izoneguy:

I am appauled that the term has been twisted out of context.
snowshooze Sunday, October 2nd at 2:33PM EDT (link)

Website link: http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/10/02/maybe-stephanie-mccrummen-just-likes-using-the-n-word/#comments

P.S. I bet Sarah Palin can shed some light on the definition also.

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

KingGold on October 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Well, for the record I think Cain or any of the other contenders are positive Reaganesque next to Obama and will skip to the polls to vote for any of them.

Kataklysmic on October 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

“Exit question: you know who this helps? Exit answer: Not Perry, not Cain.” is injecting Palin into a thread?

Then defend her to the point of blowing a gasket.

Who’s defending Palin about anything, either on this thread or yesteray’s Cain/Perry thread? I’m defending myself because I was falsely accused of celebrating/embracing the media smears and saying that they help Palin.

It’s a lot of fun for you to just throw out assertions without backing any of them up, isn’t it?

They are fun to play with for a while.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Telling lies about other commenters sure is fun, isn’t it?

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

It’s not nice to pick on insecure, attention seeking cultists//

Here comes the pile on!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

The second-string liar has arrived.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Here comes the pile on!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I have to go get my boots on for these two

They are determined than my lab when she was a puppy.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Rush is right…

Any Republican going on the LSM needs to understand WHY they are there (HINT: it is not good; you are the ENEMY of the Obama loving media) and BE PREPARED to play the “GOTCHA” game!!

Cain – epic fail…

Khun Joe on October 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM
If Perry hadn’t already been damaged by his debate performances and the tuition/heartless issue, I would agree, but I think this latest episode would tend to make some of his marginal supporters (the type who float from candidate to candidate) throw up their hands and say “what’s the point” if they haven’t already. I don’t think it hurts him greatly, but I definitely don’t think it helps.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

It could be that marginal supporters may do this, hard to say. Those that don’t support Perry won’t be swayed by my opinion, that’s true. However, for those that are undecided and are satisfied with Perry’s apology for using the word “heartless” may see this as smear, which it is & may support him. With Cain making many mistakes, Romney not a Conservative & Christy making noises, Perry may be the better choice. Just my opinion.

We’ll see in a day or two how it shakes out.

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

That’s okay, we all do it sometime. A room with Bevo? I think not!

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Lol! As an Aggie, I can’t imagine it either. ;)

Irritable Pundit on October 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Oh, come on! Even an Aggie wouldn’t slander Texas’ mascot like that……would they?

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM

The second-string liar has arrived.

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

And right on schedule. Now where’s your little sidekick idesign for a second whack?

Thanks for hijacking another thread and making it all about you, the insecure cultist.

Look at Steebo, Look at Steebo, Look at Steebo!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Cain says Perry is “insensitive”. Perry says I’m “heartless”. I think I’ll be both heartless and insensitive and support Cain over Perry.

CliffHanger on October 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Yeah, even an Aggie who got backed into being one when A&M took over ETSU would. Besides, Bevo sounds more like stebo than Reveille.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I don’t find it at all surprising that Cain, who grew up in poverty and oppressive state-backed racism, would have an immediate and emotional reaction to this story. It seems almost churlish to scold him for calling it “insensitive,” a rather mild criticism considering the nature of the term.

“Almost churlish”?

Who says that the n-head term isn’t insensitive?

The word was and is insensitive.

The ranch was/is owned/leased by a children’s home trust. Even they wouldn’t have painted the stone. The location had a racist name given by the locals, used by the locals. Blame the locals for having called the place that, and for having painted that name near the gate and leaving it there so long.

The one’s making a mountain out of the molehill are Perry’s supporters, calling Cain out of line for saying the truth, as if n-head has ever been an appropriate term. FOX is insensitive for fanning racism in the GOP potus primaries. Blame FOX. Blame the locals that called the place n-head. Blame the owners of the property who leased it, for having left that painted n-head name ON THEIR PROPERTY for so long. Blame the Perrys for not turning it over the first day they arrived at their lease, if you’re stuck on being a revisionist to remake the past to suit today’s sentiments. But it’s NOT Cain’s fault that @sshats exist. And it’s only fair to admit the circumstances provide a perfect example of poor judgment, no fault blaming Cain for calling it like it was: Insensitive.

Rush, get past your kneejerk.

maverick muse on October 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

At least unseen was smart enough to remain that way this time. I may have to upgrade unseen a bit.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Buy Danish on October 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Thanks. Bookmarked it to read later.

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Look at Steebo, Look at Steebo, Look at Steebo!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

You, cozmo, and Schadenfreude had no problems hijacking the Cain/Perry thread yesterday to make things up about me and call me a liar when it wasn’t deserved. Why do you suddenly have qualms about slightly off-topic comments?

P.S. Who’s more insecure? Someone defending himself from lies and slander or someone making up those lies and leveling the slanderous charges in the first place?

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

For Spati. Maybe Cain and Paul will unite.

———–
Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

The center of the universe is indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Telling lies about other commenters sure is fun, isn’t it?

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You are positively weird…and that’s no lie!

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Cain really stuck his foot in his mouth here – and proved to me he’s not one that should be trusted with the nuclear codes.

Obama said the Cambridge Police acted “stupidly” … and here Cain is replicating that mistake by running headlong with a WaPo story that insinuates Perry is a racist. Cain just jumps into the bath WaPo pulled for him without even knowing the facts of the case. What’s so hard with simply saying …

“I don’t know anything about that Chris – but I’ll check into it – until then I can’t comment.”

I guess Cain is too stupid to realize the WaPo lies – well if he stays a frontrunner long enough – they’ll eventually get to him and I can’t wait for that to happen! Cain – you’re on your own!

Cain is a disgusting opportunist – and really doesn’t care who his “fire” hits. He won’t apologize for this – and he won’t condemn the WaPo story.

HondaV65 on October 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Republican candidates have got to learn one hard and fast rule. The media hates them and will do anything to trip them up and make them look foolish, or use them to attack other Republicans. Cain has to learn to investigate facts and not instantly accept the truthfullness or premiss of media questions and “Facts.” They want to trick you, Herman, and you fell into the trap on this one.

Consevatives have to recognize that the media are not the fair arbitors, or the referees of the debate, they are partisan leftists and unfair, obsticals that conservatives have to overcome. Most Republicans are smarter because they have to be.

Mr A on October 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Never, unseen is still betting that Palin runs 3rd party or that anyone screams that they don’t want Chris Christie to run, are secret Mittens supporters.

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Visit Ace of Spade HQ and read all the comments accusing Cain of playing the race card.

Listen to Rush Limbaugh claiming that this is all Cain’s fault.

AS IF CAIN NAMED THAT STUPID RANCH “N-HEAD”.

Convoluted logic works so well, NOT.

Regardless, N-head is Insensitive. No surprise, the guy who called his critics heartless suffers hypocrisy.

Next distraction: did Bush ever go hunting with Perry at that ranch?

maverick muse on October 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I’m a SHSU alum, so as long as you don’t call a cultist a BearKat, I’m cool.

cartooner on October 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM

steebo77 on October 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Look at Steebo! Look at Steebo! Look at Steebo!

Insecure thread hijacker extraordinaire!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I think he’s lost all moral ground in complaining about the hatchet job Sarah Palin received from the media.

He won’t condemn WaPO for this story about Perry, and – instead – revels in the pain it’s probably causing him and his family – and his campaign.

So when Saint Sarah enters this race – I sure hope she can defend herself from the spears and barbs of the media.

I won’t.

Pretty sad day when Palinista’s can’t stand up and condemn a story cut right out of the same playbook they used to tar and feather Palin.

Hypocrits.

HondaV65 on October 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

For Spati. Maybe Cain and Paul will unite.

———–
Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

The center of the universe is indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Right. Rule of Law only applies to “good” Americans. pff

maverick muse on October 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

THEY HATE REPUBLICANS AND ESPECIALLY CONSERVATIVES.

ohiobabe on October 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

That’s a fact:-) Does that explain why Gov. Perry is taking all of the arrows? LOL It seems Everybody Loves Raymond, oops, no. Everybody Loves Everyone Except Gov. Perry:-)

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Look at Steebo! Look at Steebo! Look at Steebo!

Insecure thread hijacker extraordinaire!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on October 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Bless his heart.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Right. Rule of Law only applies to “good” Americans. pff

maverick muse on October 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

You missed that on the day it happened, I challenged the ACLU and mocked the left. Other than that, I do appreciate your comments, always.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

maverick muse on October 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Good one jumps a shark.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Insensitive is a relatively safe answer if the facts are either true or false.

PrettyD_Vicious on October 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

A non-issue ginned up by the MSM to drag both Perry & Cain into the mud, even as Oboobi drags us further into debt and anarchy.

Can’t believe all these conservatives are getting worked up over manufactured slights — pledging/disavowing allegiance to this conservative candidate or that conservative candidate. So one or the other has mud on their face and this totally disqualifies them from further support????? Meanwhile, Mittness and Oboobie are whistling Dixie on the road to the general.

I don’t give a rip if a guy is rough around the edges or “dumb” enough to get muddied by the MSM’s gotchas. Especially at this early stage. If his core values/principles are 80% or better in alignment with me, then I’m pulling for him/her — as long as we continue to be within the 80% margin.

In these case of these tempest-in-teacups, I only expect for them to learn from it and move on. I’m also glad this is happening now and not next October. We need all the dirty laundry to be brought out now, not later. Remember how Dubya was almost sunk by the 2000 October surprise?

With the MSM, if you’re taking flak they’re flinging mud, you’re over the target threatening their sacred cows.

AH_C on October 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM

They are fun to play with for a while.

cozmo on October 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I know, I’ve seen it with all of the Candidates. I try not to get into it, but have been known to fail a time or two:-)

However, as long as no one gets in my way at the voting booth, I’m good:-)

bluefox on October 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM