CBS News: Documents reveal that Holder received briefing on Fast & Furious in July 2010; Update: Holder doesn’t always read his briefings?

posted at 7:22 pm on October 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

Why’s that a big deal? Watch the video below from CNS showing Holder’s testimony before Issa’s House committee back on May 3. The question: “When did you first know about the program, officially called, I believe, ‘Fast and Furious’?” The answer:

I’m not sure of the exact date but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.

Not so, says CBS News:

New documents obtained by CBS News show Attorney General Eric Holder was sent briefings on the controversial Fast and Furious operation as far back as July 2010. That directly contradicts his statement to Congress…

The documents came from the head of the National Drug Intelligence Center and Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer…

Two Justice Department officials mulled it over in an email exchange Oct. 18, 2010. “It’s a tricky case given the number of guns that have walked but is a significant set of prosecutions,” says Jason Weinstein, Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the Criminal Division. Deputy Chief of the National Gang Unit James Trusty replies “I’m not sure how much grief we get for ‘guns walking.’ It may be more like, “Finally they’re going after people who sent guns down there.”

The Justice Department told CBS News that the officials in those emails were talking about a different case started before Eric Holder became Attorney General. And tonight they tell CBS News, Holder misunderstood that question from the committee – he did know about Fast and Furious – just not the details.

He didn’t know about the details? Here’s the unredacted bit from the briefing sent to Holder on July 5, 2010 by the director of the National Drug Intelligence Center:

No code words or euphemisms there. Nice and specific. And yet Eric Holder, upon discovering that 1,500 guns had been “supplied” to Mexican drug cartels in an operation managed by the ATF, apparently didn’t demand a full explanation. Fancy that.

Follow the CNS link above and you’ll see that Issa’s maintained all along that Holder must have known about F&F sooner than he testified. Last month, at a DOJ news conference, Holder called F&F “clearly a flawed enforcement effort” but added:

“The notion that this reaches into the upper levels of the Justice Department is something that at this point I don’t think is supported by the facts and I think once we examine it and once the facts are revealed we’ll see that’s not the case,” Holder told reporters.

Well, obviously it does reach into the upper levels of the Department. Even if you’re willing to buy Holder’s absurd excuse that he had no reason to know the details of the operation despite knowing that guns were being walked to Mexican drug lords, we’ve got the memos from Breuer and the Drug Intelligence Center and the e-mail discovered by CBS between Weinstein and Trusty. (I’m dying to know which “other case” the DOJ thinks they were discussing, per the Department’s excuse to CBS.) In fact, Issa told Laura Ingraham last month: “We have a paper trail of so many people knowing that the only way the attorney general didn’t know is he made sure he didn’t want to know… But if you don’t want to know something of this sort then you shouldn’t have the job he has. And ultimately one of the questions is, if he didn’t know, is he that inept that he is dangerous to have as the attorney general, and that is for the president to decide.” That’s exactly where we are here tonight with these new docs. Either Holder didn’t want to know more after reading that July 2010 briefing or he read it and simply didn’t recognize the gravity of what he was reading. Big, big trouble either way.

Update: Here’s Fox’s segment on the new docs. The key bit is at the end, where they say a former DOJ official familiar with Holder’s operation told them he receives dozens of memos a week and doesn’t always read them. Fantastic. That’s exactly what you want in America’s top prosecutor. Let’s have him back before that House committee and let him offer the “I don’t always do my homework” excuse himself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“What did the President know, and when did he stop knowing it?”

Kenosha Kid on October 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Obama will soon be backed into a corner.

I can’t wait for the “I am not a crook” statement.

novaculus on October 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Kenosha Kid on October 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Good one!

novaculus on October 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I can’t wait for the “I am not a crook” statement.

novaculus on October 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

well, he’ll have to rephrase it to “I am not a murderer” won’t he?

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

demoncraps Lie, it is part of there operations manual. Remember that guy that testified he lied to his own diary?

jainphx on October 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I hope Rush hits this tomorrow.

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Is that how this Clown Presidency ends? With Holder in jail and O’Bozo withdrawing from the reelection campaign for Hillary to take over?

That makes about as much sense as electing this nitwit in the first place.

Jaibones on October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Democratic Attorney General was delinquent in his duties. He did not READ the reports given to him? That is odd. AG lied…US law enforcement officers died.

siwrcw03 on October 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Federal agent John Dodson says what he was asked to do was beyond belief.

He was intentionally letting guns go to Mexico?

“Yes ma’am,” Dodson told CBS News. “The agency was.”

An Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms senior agent assigned to the Phoenix office in 2010, Dodson’s job is to stop gun trafficking across the border. Instead, he says he was ordered to sit by and watch it happen.

Investigators call the tactic letting guns “walk.” In this case, walking into the hands of criminals who would use them in Mexico and the United States.

Dodson’s bosses say that never happened. Now, he’s risking his job to go public.

“I’m boots on the ground in Phoenix, telling you we’ve been doing it every day since I’ve been here,” he said. “Here I am. Tell me I didn’t do the things that I did. Tell me you didn’t order me to do the things I did. Tell me it didn’t happen. Now you have a name on it. You have a face to put with it. Here I am. Someone now, tell me it didn’t happen.”

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

How about

I am not a gunrunner!

while making air quotes eerily reminiscent of Tricky Dick’s iconic gesture?

novaculus on October 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Obama: The democratic Nixon.

ernesto on October 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Nixon never committed Felony Perjury under oath before a Federal Grand Jury.

He also established the Left’s Sacred Cow Federal Agency, the EPA. And ended the Draft, and ended Democrat President/Halliburton Crony Lyndon Johnson’s Illegal War against Vietnam.

Now what exactly has O’bama “accomplished” again?

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Now what exactly has O’bama “accomplished” again?

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

he..he..HE capped them three pi-rates! and UBL…right in the noggin’!! and to that i say a hearty

crr6

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

No big deal. If holder was in a republican administration it would be a big deal. There can be video evidence of him handing guns to cartel members and nothing would happen. The media doesn’t care.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING will ever come of all this. So might as well stop posting stories on it.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

brand new from the LAT….the dam is breaking. trouble is brewin’

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

And we’ll never win another election, *sighs*. Might as well stop voting.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM

“What did the President know, and when did he stop knowing it?”

Kenosha Kid on October 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Everyday I send my poor wife a HA quote. Thx. for Tues. material.

arnold ziffel on October 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I hope Rush hits this tomorrow.

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Like the angry fist of God, my brother.

Immolate on October 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

That makes about as much sense as electing this nitwit in the first place.

Jaibones on October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Not if Hillary gets implicated in this as well. There’s a very good chance that she was aware of the program from the start.

Nappy had to know too, but she’s such a dimwit she probably didn’t catch on to what it meant.

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

brand new from the LAT….the dam is breaking. trouble is brewin’

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Kudos for them finally opening their blind eyes. However, they still aren’t quite there, are they?

in a surveillance operation in which firearms were allowed into Mexico in a failed effort to catch drug cartel leaders.

What person with two functioning brain cells can even come close to believing that as an explanation? How in the world does letting firearms into a foreign country without telling that country what is happening help catch drug cartel leaders?

AZfederalist on October 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Looks like the LA Times is getting nervous about where this story is going. They don’t dare drop it, but they are spinning like mad. They are repeating every Obama Admin excuse and trying to downplay the most damning evidence, even as they report it.

Are we watching the beginning of the end of the Obama administration? Is he going to make it to the election? If he goes down he will take Holder, Napolitano and with any luck Clinton down with him.

novaculus on October 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM

novaculus on October 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Much as I’d love to believe that, I thought the same thing of Clinton and the Lewinski scandal. The Republicans managed to bungle that one thoroughly, maybe they learned from that and will get it right this time? Maybe this is so big that they can’t screw it up?

AZfederalist on October 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I am astonished that this has been percolating like this, without any real coverage from the LSM.
This reporting tonight, means that obviously, Obozo and Holder realize they can’t stall it any longer, they already promoted the field personnel away from the heat, and now it’s Holder’s turn.

It’s obviously not WHAT you know, but WHO you know in that “drained swamp” up Washington way.

KMC1 on October 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM

AZfederalist on October 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I sat and watched the Clinton testimony on a (relatively rare at the time) big screen w/my police buddies. We all thought he looks like the typical crook we interview. Thought he was toast—turns out he slid right out of it.
I will never forget the phoniness of his oversize bible and holding chairman Mao’s hand as they departed AF1.

arnold ziffel on October 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Well they can keep trying to promote ATF personnel to keep them quiet but they can’t promote them all. Can’t believe ATF would go off on their own and Stand Down on this gun situation without directives from Holder. Everyone in the Obama Team are starting to look a bit drained. The proverbial t*t might be in the wringer. Would love to see them go down the drain on this.

IlonaE on October 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM

crr6
ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Quoting this dolt in the face of such obvious libtardism never gets old.

jawkneemusic on October 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

And we’ll never win another election, *sighs*. Might as well stop voting.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I’ll be posting a year from now when no one is even talking about this anymore and I will be saying “I told you so”.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

crr6

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Quoting this dolt in the face of such obvious libtardism never gets old.

jawkneemusic on October 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Welcome to the right side of the issue. I hope you’ll stay with us in the future.

crr6 on June 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on October 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Yeah, another poster said that Issa won’t do anything…well, he is tightening the noose.
You win these cases by slowly building facts, especially when the MSM is covering.
I suspect that the LAT, and soon the NYT, will begin feeding the administration what stories they are going to run, so the admin has an answer.
But, Holder is close to perjury, and that is no small feat.
What they need is the one person, the one person who committed perjury and will deal to stay out of jail…
Also don’t forget the timing…we want this to be front page news next Oct-Nov…
Pal, you are way off on this one…this is the one, if they get the right evidence, that can bring down several people from the most honest administration ever elected…

right2bright on October 4, 2011 at 1:05 AM

IlonaE on October 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM

To be honest, I’d really like to see Obozo impeached, and Holder go to jail for this. People have died, including an American law enforcement Officer and dozens of Mexican nationals (that we know of). All this, so these terrible, Orwellian maniacs, could “prove” how lax our gun laws are, and try to tighten the restrictions for law abiding citizens.

It’s a disgusting and devious situation, and someone getting fired is NOT going to take care of this.

KMC1 on October 4, 2011 at 1:20 AM

This fake scandal has a really cool name!

lorien1973 on October 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM

..and now holder denies he denied knowing about it.

LIAR!

tx2654 on October 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Could this hitting the fan be the reason they have Van Jones setting up all his mental midget anarchists across the country?

red131 on October 4, 2011 at 1:50 AM

dozens of Mexican nationals

KMC1 on October 4, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Hundreds of dead Mexican citizens…thus far. No modern day Woodward and Bernstein seem to be interested in the Pulitzer just waiting for them, because the president is a fellow Democrat.

Christien on October 4, 2011 at 2:15 AM

So….How soon before we see Holder “frog marched” off by ‘Federales’ to a Mexican Prison?

The_Basseteer on October 4, 2011 at 2:53 AM

After we are done with them, we should let Mexico have a go at them. The idea of Holder and Obama in a Mexican Prison sends a tingle up my leg.

IowaWoman on October 4, 2011 at 4:06 AM

If he doesn’t read his briefings he’s admitting incompetence.

I guess the next time you get caught for speeding, just tell the officer “I don’t always read the speed limit signs.” See how far that gets you.

JellyToast on October 4, 2011 at 6:22 AM

As part of a Report issued by the Office of Inspector General​ (OIG) commencing in October 2010, the State agency criticizes the Office of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for taking down the little guys but not securing enough convictions against the “higher-level traffickers, smugglers, and the ultimate recipients of trafficked guns,” particularly into Mexico.

Mythbusted! There was not a botched gun-interdiction effort.

ATF Agent Peter Forcelli testifies:

Within weeks, I was surprised at what I had observed. In my professional opinion, dozens of firearms traffickers were given a pass by the US Attorney​’s Office for the District of Arizona. Despite the existence of “probable cause” in many cases, there were no indictments, no prosecutions, and criminals were allowed to walk free. In short, their office policies, in my opinion, helped pave a dangerous path.” (Testimony of Phoenix ATF Special Agent Peter Forcelli June 15, 2011)

Exporting guns from the US is indeed a violation of the Arms Export Control Act, so red flags were raised by “whistleblowers” when ATF agents were expected to circumvent Federal law.

As a career law enforcement officer, who has had to investigate the deaths of police officers, children and others at the hands of armed criminals, I was and continue to be horrified. Truly horrified. I believe that these firearms will continue to turn up at crime scenes, on both sides of the border, for years to come

this was the intended outcome. To stirup violence. No tracking, no takedowns, only picking up the pieces. Well, someone is going to reap what they’ve sown.

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 6:28 AM

ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

The comments to that article are interesting to read. Who knew that so many bitter clinger Tea Party types read the LA Times?

AZCoyote on October 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM

I miss crr6… I wish she would come back and provide some bolder, fresher quotes to contemplate…

Khun Joe on October 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM

AZfederalist on October 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

The gutless Republicans in the Senate had no intention of convicting him, no matter the evidence. The fix was in from day one. They are even more gutless today. Do you really think the first black president could ever be impeached for any crime?

SKYFOX on October 4, 2011 at 6:54 AM

SKYFOX on October 4, 2011 at 6:54 AM

no, i’d rather see him lose a landslide election after a year of lameduckedness…

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 6:58 AM

…a former DOJ official familiar with Holder’s operation told them he receives dozens of memos a week and doesn’t always read them

That is exactly why criminal statutes say “…knows or has reason to know….” It is assumed that if you receive correspondance, you actually read it.

Mr. Grump on October 4, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Are the drug cartels taking Rosie Barr’s advice??

Police in Mexico City found two severed human heads on a street near a major military base Monday, a grisly tactic of warring drug gangs that has long affected other parts of the country while largely sparing the capital.

You’d think that teachers and teachers unions here in the US would be wanting some answers on F&F because of this interesting little tidbit….

In Acapulco Monday, about 120 soldiers patrolled streets around schools in the city’s rougher neighborhoods, but that still did not convince students, teachers and parents to reopen all of the 460 schools that had closed because of extortion demands and threats. That number represents about one-third of all schools in the city of about 800,000.

Many of the mainly primary schools had been closed since late August, when students were scheduled to return to classes after summer vacations.

Banners, handwritten signs and other threats had appeared around schools, in some cases demanding that teachers hand over part of their pay as protection money.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10/03/2-severed-heads-found-in-mexico-city-with-message-925203419/#ixzz1ZoGS0E6M

Protection money? Isn’t that like “union dues”???

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Arturo Martinez, a spokesman for the government of Guerrero state, where Acapulco is located, said that 90 percent of schools reopened, but acknowledged that at many it was a ‘soft’ opening, with teachers taking stock of the classrooms, parents showing up for meetings and other preparations, but no actual classes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10/03/2-severed-heads-found-in-mexico-city-with-message-925203419/#ixzz1ZoKywfzX

Eric Holder wants to keep kids out of school and teachers unemployed–all cowering in their homes.
Looks like Holder et al are unwittingly spurning a Mexican homeschool movement, kinda like they’re doing here in the US.

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Will the Progressive Ruling Class throw him under now that he’s damaged goods?

Not likely………he is after all Obama without the charisma.

PappyD61 on October 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Even those people at the WaPo are down on Holder et al. What gives? can’t they get some editorial support over there???

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Khun Joe on October 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Perhaps if she is going to continue to lurk we could make up some new material and attribute it to her.

Like:

“You guys talk about guns walking, as if they had legs”.- /pretend crr6

“Eric Holder can’t be expected to read everything that is addressed to him. He is too busy protecting Americans.”- /pretend crr6

(Maybe someone will get her out of hiding with one of these. ;-) )

Yoop on October 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Attorney General Eric Holder was issued multiple memos from senior Justice Department officials about a controversial gun-tracking operation months before he said he first became aware it, according to documents.

maybe those TPS reports weren’t in order…..*obligatory Office Space reference*

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM

(Maybe someone will get her out of hiding with one of these. ;-) )

Yoop on October 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM

or “Holder may not have read the report, but have you seen his LSAT scores?“–crr6

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Holder called F&F “clearly a flawed enforcement effort”

so flawed, in fact, that you chose to ignore incoming information about it? So flawed that your plans to intervene and improve it were what? So flawed that you chose to brief the President about it when, and you both agreed to do what about it? Please tell us, Mr. Attorney General, how many other flawed law enforcement efforts are out there right now that you are ignoring?

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Uh oh….!

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM

indeed…this won’t make the morning talk show circuit me thinks…

cmsinaz on October 4, 2011 at 7:46 AM

When the time comes and he’s run out of underlings to blame, I fully expect Holder to calmly crawl under the bus and place his head directly in line with the front tire. I would be pleasantly surprised if he went kicking and screaming and naming names.

Extrafishy on October 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM

ted c on October 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM

We haven’t seen them, and never will, just like we’ll never see those of Barry and Michelle Obama. Their scores, like their grades, are better protected than the gold in Fort Knox. Betcha can’t guess why . . . .?

AZCoyote on October 4, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Absolootly.

Blood in the water now.

petefrt on October 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Holder is a crook but who will bring him down . . . he owns the Gestapo.

rplat on October 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM

And the walls come crumbling down at a fast and furious pace. Still not quick enough though.

red131 on October 4, 2011 at 8:14 AM

My goodness, how proud Columbia and Harvard must be.

rogerb on October 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Uhh…why wouldn’t they be???

BigWyo on October 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM

If you’re joking about Harvard and Columbia staff sharing their views and “any means necessary, not really that sorry that Terry and 300 (wise?) Latinos were killed in hopes of ‘fixing’ the 2nd Amendment, laws be damned” approach in order to further their goals, you’re probably right.

rogerb on October 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Hey Holder, being totally incompetent is a shallow defense for being so corrupt. You’re a freaking joke, admit it and resign in disgrace.

volsense on October 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

crr6
ted c on October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Quoting this dolt in the face of such obvious libtardism never gets old.

jawkneemusic on October 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Makes me laugh every single time. Just like SCOAMF.

Washington Nearsider on October 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

In this case both the crime and the cover up are the issue. More and more proof will emerge that Zero and Holder are responsible, but nothing will get done about it.

The dems in the senate will never convict Zero if he is impeached.

On the other hand, I said a month or so ago the top dem strategists might unleash scandals on Zero to get rid of him. I just read another energy company with a DoE loan is going belly up…

Can the Fail won last to the election?

dogsoldier on October 4, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Calling Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein! Get here immediately your country needs you now!
Oh, I see, you don’t do Democrats……..only Republicans.

Herb on October 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Khun Joe on October 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Howzabout some Greatest Hits?

I generally post about things I know about. If I don’t know about it, I won’t claim to or act as if I do.

crr6 on February 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Let’s send Holder and Obama on a one-way trip to May-hee-co to find those 1,500 guns, and see what happens.

Steve Z on October 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM

.and now holder denies he denied knowing about it.

LIAR!

tx2654 on October 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Brilliant!

A double-dog denial!

But has Holder found the bottom of his excuse barrel yet?

novaculus on October 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Doesn’t always read his briefings? That explains his lack of following the Constitution, didn’t read it either!

la.rt.wngr on October 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM

As we’ve said before, Fast and Furious (and Operation Wide Receiver, Operation Castaway, and grenadewalker) armed the U.S. and Mexican government-backed Sinaloa drug cartel against Los Zetas. According to previous testimony, the ATF’s F&F was aided and abetted by the IRS, FBI, DEA, DOJ, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and various White House security folk.

Someone should ask Mr. Holder about this statement [via narcosphere.narconews.com] by the captured Sinaloa jefe who claims the U.S. Federal government turned a blind eye to his cartel’s billion dollar (per month) drug smuggling business

Mr. Zambada Niebla believes that the documentation that he requests [from the US government] will confirm that the weapons received by Sinaloa Cartel members and its leaders in Operation ‘Fast & Furious’ were provided under the agreement entered into between the United States government and [Sinaloa organization lawyer] Mr. Loya Castro on behalf of the Sinaloa Cartel.

novaculus on October 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Question: What lawyer, when a witness is on the stand, would let slide any of the following excuses,

“I may have been sent the e-mail, but I didn’t read it.”
“The memo was shredded before I could read it.”
“No one told me.”
“My dog ate the memo.”
“My dog ate the e-mail.”
“I accidentally threw it into the garbage.”
“I accidentally deleted it.”
“Have you tried to understand anything while you’re stoned?”
“Well, since the guns were going to Latinos, I didn’t care.”
“Oh yeah? Well, that doesn’t excuse the CIA from selling cocaine in inner cities in the 1970s.”
“Black Panthers? What Black Panthers?”
“Oh yeah? Well, what about BOOOOOSSHHH?”
“Oh yeah? Well, you’re racist.”

Answer: A Justice Department attorney.

Either way, this guy looks either ignorant, or stupid. That is, unless a state tries to enforce immigration law.

Danny on October 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Holder lied, Mexicans died.

Danny on October 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Sorry, but I can’t make out any proof in the e-mail that the guns were supplied by Celis-Acosta with US government collusion: just wanting it to be so isn’t enough.

It is proof that Holder ‘misremembered’ to his own advantage in his testimony before Congress, though.

PersonFromPorlock on October 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Keep this in mind. This maybe rather damming info for the DOJ and Holder, BUT, all this info came from the WHITE HOUSE. The White House also knew.

jpcpt03 on October 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM

• Casting the net a bit wider.
When the amendments were being created, John Adams argued that they were not needed because the new American government would never do anything that the violated the rights of its people. Obviously that was seen as it is today, not to be true.
The first amendment was written to insure that the people had a path to insure the government remained under the control of and responsible to the people.
The second amendment insured that the people had the right to defend itself if the government chose to use force against them. It also insured that they had the means to remove a government that sought to deny them their rights.
The majority of the American people may have lost sight of the significance of the second amendment for the simple fact that it has done what it was written to do.
The far left socialist and communist have not made the same mistake as they recognize the amendment was written to protect the nation from them.
Our recent past has been one of constant defense of the Second Amendment as the socialist and communist sought to either make twist it to say only the government has the right to be armed or to make the amendment meaningless with laws restrictions that while did not take away the right to own arms, but none the less, effectively disarmed the public.
Obama was raised by socialist and tutored as a child by the well known pedophile and communist, Frank Davis. Undoubtedly Obama would have been taught that right to armed defense was only given to the government. An armed revolt of the proletariat is a real danger to a government that limited the rights of its people as the government desired.
Not surprisingly Obama has shown a great deal of fear of the armed citizens and their private militias. They tried to subvert the amendment to saying only the government had the right to bear arms, a total contradiction of the amendment and without reason for why a government right would be included in the rights of the people.
The solution was and is, to create laws that effectively disarm the people and militias while not actually saying the people did not have the right to arm themselves.
The Fast and furious walking of guns was either ineptness on a grand scale or deliberate for other reasons than tracking guns.
It would appear that the first attempt to set up the situation for new and restrictive gun laws and at the same time, paint gun ownership as a serious social issue was creating the impression that most of the guns used in boarder crimes came from the United States. Once the impression was created, the proof needed to be created. So was born the

Franklyn on October 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM

It doesn’t matter. This administration could take those guns into an elementary school and shoot everyone and still, nothing would be done. This is the super historic 1st black administration and it’s necessary to just smile and pretend they only want to help us middle class folk.

lonestar1 on October 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Holder lied, Mexicans died.
Danny on October 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Holder lied and our border patrol agents died.

lonestar1 on October 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

That makes about as much sense as electing this nitwit in the first place.

Jaibones on October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

We can only wish. In the current environment, they’ll just retire with a luxurious pension and harangue us in the media foreverafter.

Hanging traitors is apparently out of fashion…

Who is John Galt on October 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Christien on October 4, 2011 at 2:15 AM

No way such exposure would result in a Pulitzer. Quite the opposite, more like a blacklisting in the publishing industry.

Not that it would matter much. Anyone who exposes this to the point of bringing down this administration will forever be hailed as a hero by half the country and hated by the other half.

runawayyyy on October 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I probably commented on this at the time of the prior, quoted, testimony.
That prior testimony was a perfect lawyer’s construct: It leaves no room for a perjury charge. The artful use of “probably” would give Holder at least four outs:
1. If “probably” modifies the entire rest of the sentence it leaves the out of simply being completely wrong about it;
2. If “probably” modifies “few” it leaves the out that he was wrong about it being a few, and really it was 30 or 50;
3. If “probably” modifies “weeks” it leaves him the out that it really was “months,” and maybe even “years,” although that would be a stretch for most but not all of the jurors needed for a criminal conviction;
4. It leaves the out of Holder later testifying: “Look, I used the word ‘probably’ because I did not know for sure and was actually guessing, or almost guessing. Maybe I should simply have said ‘I don’t know,’ but I was trying to be as helpful as I could.”
It is tedious to cross exam a witness who testifies like Holder does in a manner that actually pins the witness down to one story, but it can be done. It is tough to do if there is any time limit.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM