Video: Cain’s presser at TeaCon Midwest

posted at 2:00 pm on October 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I’m heading back home after spending the weekend at TeaCon Midwest 2011 in Chicago, staged by WIND 560 AM at the Renaissance Hotel (actually in the Chicago suburb of Schaumberg).  Glenn Beck delivered the keynote speech last night, a passionate entreaty for Tea Party activists to go beyond politics and change the nation through examples of service and accountability.  I got some great pictures of Beck, as I was just off the stage to his right, which I’ll include in a Flickr slideshow of a few photos I took, in an update later today.

But in the realm of politics, Herman Cain clearly was the favorite of the convention, primarily because he was the only presidential candidate to show up.  He gave a passionate and inspiring speech while I was on stage with my colleagues Guy Benson and Katie Pavlich after a three-hour panel discussion about the presidential race.  Cain added a couple of interesting elements to his stump speech — an exhortation in full support of the Second Amendment, and an explanation of his foreign-policy philosophy, complete with his assurances of complete support for Israel.  In a brief Q&A with our panel after his speech, Cain told the crowd that he fully supported Barack Obama’s decision to strike Anwar al-Awlaki.

After seeing the reception TeaCon Midwest gave Cain, it was all but assured that Cain would win the straw poll, which he did with 77.5% of the vote.  Interestingly, Obama was included in the straw poll, and he managed to finish third-to-last, with a handful of votes.  Guy joked at the announcement that some of the media must have cast ballots, but even more amusingly, Jon Huntsman and Gary Johnson finished below Obama, with a combined total of zero votes.

After Cain’s appearance, he moved into a different room for a media availability, most of which I caught on camera.  The image is a bit blurry because I didn’t wait for the focus to fully set before starting the video, and I didn’t want to miss the answers to the questions being tossed at Cain.  He defended his time with the Fed during persistent questioning from a Paul supporter and insisted that he could maintain the political momentum he gained this week.  When someone asked about Asian carp, however, the group broke up in laughter and the presser came to a close, long after one of Cain’s aides kept repeating “Last question!”

Warner Todd Huston has more on the presser, Cain’s apparently tense meeting with a TeaCon Midwest backer, and a change in personnel on Team Cain.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

….and I’m not interested in listening to anything else you have to say.

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Check out the rest of that post. He was snarking.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’m on the Cain Train… I’ll be eager to see your guy’s ‘perfect candidate’ though. Don’t beat each other up too much.

deedtrader on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It is a hard way to go, this route is.

We have a republic, if we can keep it.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

+5126 – thank you for seeing the forest through the trees.

Our primary process is to vet candidates, then we all come together and convention. works for me.

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

________ is a RINO. He endorsed _______, supported ________, blasted “free market purists”, favors ____________ and refused to sign _____________.

_________ IS NOT CONSERVATIVE!!

bigred on October 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM

All you purists, fill in the blanks how you please. Just vote “anyone but Obama” in 2012.

YehuditTX on October 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

It is a hard way to go, this route is.

We have a republic, if we can keep it.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Thank you for being sensible. Everyone who didn’t read his comment, please go do that.

YehuditTX on October 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Is he racist?

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM

No, but no one ever alleged that except primarily Perry supporters who really, really wanted that sleight to exist because Perry cannot come back from his own self-caused electoral problems without something like that to latch onto for sympathy.

BKennedy on October 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Spathi you and your attempt to brand Perry in the manner is evil .ES.

CW on October 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM

YehuditTX on October 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Your purist putdown is as infantile as the left’s “Denier” or “Birther” games. We got here in this big mess because we followed you -he doesn’t have to be a purist thinking.

One could call you a “purist” because you don’t like Obama, See -it’s all a matter of perspective.

Don L on October 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Cain has a strong educational background in mathematics and physics. He did ballistics work and analysis for the US Navy for years.

He is on video challenging Bill Clinton on healthcare back in ’94.

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Perry had a racist ranch. Nothing could be more clear.

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Herman Cain has more qualifications than all of them put together and is the only person running who hasn’t contributed to the mess we’re in.

DanaSmiles on October 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Perry had a racist ranch. Nothing could be more clear.

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

No black cows were allowed to graze on his land?

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Perry looks like Bush, struts like Bush, sounds like Bush, but he’s dumber than Bush.

Dubya without a brain.

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM

DanaSmiles on October 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM

We say we want an outsider.

Then one appears, with a truly successful background, and we step away.

America likes politicians. It’s saddening.

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM

That means polite applause, and then examining an actual text of what is said without the voice, the haircut, the smile… and then you will see if what is inside the slick package bears any semblance to what you know needs to be done.

It is a hard way to go, this route is.

We have a republic, if we can keep it.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Good advice. Reading the text of what was said is always better than watching a debate or video. I often print out statements & texts and refer back to them when needed. Very helpful.

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I think by 2012 it will be obvious that people are fed up with Washington and have been for awhile now.

DanaSmiles on October 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I don’t need any clarification. He’s running against Perry right now. That’s enough explanation for me.

bridgetown on October 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

N/A

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Yahoo News runs with story on Perry’s dude ranch.

Yahoo News: “Wait. Rick Perry’s Hunting Camp Was Called What?”

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Then one appears, with a truly successful background, and we step away.

America likes politicians. It’s saddening.

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Only the purists, and to be honest, I’m getting tired of hearing from them.

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 7:41 PM

So what you seem to be saying is that smearing a man as a racist when it is quite clear he is no such thing is all right with you, because it’s all just politics.

To me, it demonstrates something about a man’s character, and I don’t like it. No – it’s more than that. I hate it. I don’t care who’s in the lead – wrong is wrong.

I used to like him. Now, Cain will get my vote when hell freezes over.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Just…wow. Tried to pick the one snarky “Cain is a creep” comment that represented them all the best.

Y’all can commence throwing rotted fruit at me as soon as I say my piece…
You just bought into the whole MSM meme and the headline de jour: CAIN CALLS PERRY RACIST. Um, no, he said the name of the ranch/slogan on the rock was “Insensitive” and “Inappropriate.” Well, hello, and howdy! Let me go on record as agreeing.

I don’t suppose it is at all possible (do I really, really have to attach a sarc// tag here)that this was asked when the story was very new and the additional details about the immediate radication of the words were known? Come on! This is such a non-story, and it is light-years’ different than Obama’s continually playing the race card…Cain is doing a pretty darned good job NOT slamming or personally attacking his rivals (IMO). Case in point:

What do you think of Perry?

Good Governor.

What do you think of Romney?

Good hair.

Say you disagree with Cain, don’t like the guy, he doesn’t have the experience you want, or that you plain just like another candidate better, but Jeez Louise, this petty kindergarten stuff…I expect better of my fellow hotairians.

…Oh, and in case you didn’t get it, Chewy LOVES Herman Cain!

Chewy the Lab on October 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I have not seen any discussion about the difference between the “news” interview and the chaotic press conference. I thought Cain’s presser was a 110% he was calm, collected, answered the questions, deflected when appropriate and otherwise knocked me dead. The Sunday show interviews were at about 70% some bad, mostly good. He stood his ground on his issues (999) and such..

Now I’m trying to decide if quick thinking on his feet (ala press conference) is a better trait for a president than giving a not so hot Sunday show interview.

How would that affect his descision making as CIC? I wonder.

BTW I posted a comment on Cain’s FB page about the 999 plan, (I did some rough math and see a minimum tax savings of $1200). I recevied a very detailed answer about the 999 plan in pretty short order. You can see it on his FB page if you get tired of talking about “insensitive” subjects.

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM

…Oh, and in case you didn’t get it, Chewy LOVES Herman Cain!

Chewy the Lab on October 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM

You’ve been gone for a while then because this has become the norm around here and is getting tiresome.

darwin-t on October 2, 2011 at 8:39 PM

darwin-t on October 2, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Amen, my friend. How many dead bodies are under the bus?

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Cain is REAL.

One may not be totally aligned with him, but he is REAL.

He isn’t a (as the Great Bob Grant would say) a “Fake, Phony, Fraud.”

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Spathi=troll (obviously)

ROCK ON HERMAN CAIN!!!!

balkanmom on October 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Cain is REAL.

One may not be totally aligned with him, but he is REAL.

He isn’t a (as the Great Bob Grant would say) a “Fake, Phony, Fraud.”

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I agree, and that is an endearing quality IMO… What do you think about Cain’s handling of the presser vs. Sunday shows?

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 9:02 PM

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I thought he did well on Fox today. The purists are now calling him a racist or something like that cause he threw down the race card or something like that when he said “insensitive”.

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM

IMHO, as long as Cain never goes back on the O’Reilly Factor, he’ll be A-OK. Dick Cheney won’t even go on there.

I just saw a bit on Fox Sunday and was impressed with the grace and ease Herman had.

balkanmom on October 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I thought that was his weakest moment..wished he would have called all utterances of that word (ala rappers and so on) insensitive. But alas. The ABC interview was a bear.. starting with booing the gay soldier, to Perry the racist to Cain the Muslim hater.. He handled the booing the gay soldier perfectly until towards the end when he waffled a just a bit.. he should have left it at “I really don’t know what they were booing about” (all 2 of them).

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I’d vote for that guy.

ted c on October 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM

He is on video challenging Bill Clinton on healthcare back in ’94.

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM

he also took 2 companies that were losing money and market share and turned them into profitable enterprises in a pretty quick timeframe. If states can be laboratories for experimenting, so can companies. Cain has demonstrated competence in the arena of his profession–business. That is as good a training ground as Hollywood, academia, state legislature etc etc.

ted c on October 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Michael Barone said today that it is time to raise Cain to “contender status”.

ted c on October 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM

The National Federation of Republican women held
a straw poll at their 36th Biennial Convention in Kansas City on Saturday, 10/1/2011. Herman Cain won overwhelmingly with 48.9%.

Cain 48.9%
Perry 14.1%
Romney 13.3%
Gingrich 12.5%
Santorum 6.9%

Who is your second choice
Cain 23.8%
Gingrich 20.8%
Perry 15.9%
Romney 12.9%

Which candidate is most likely to beat Obama?
Cain 31.3%
Romney 24.6%
Perry 19.4%
Santorum 2.0%

Supporters of other candidates are now beginning to disparage straw polls. That’s fair, but this straw poll was a little different. Just keep in mind that while straw polls are not elections, the emergence of Cain is unique. In order to vote in the Republican Women’s poll you had to be a delegate to their convention, unlike straw polls that can bus supporters in. Second, unlike Ron Paul, Cain does not represent a movement like the Libertarians who form voting blocs and can
effectively overwhelm straw polls that make Paul look more popular than he is. Third, it takes more than a 75 cent taco to go to the Republican Women’s Convention is Kansas City (take it from me). Women have flown in from all parts of the country at significant expense to be there. Straw polls are not elections, but Cain gave an electrifying, persuasive speech to a cross section of active Republican women and got an overwhelming endorsement. And a final
point, Republican women make up a lot of the worker bees during an election, passing out literature, going door to door, manning the polls. That’s why elected Republican officials pay them a lot of attention. Republican women did not to go to Kansas City to give Herman Cain a win in the straw poll. The fact that he won big was solely due to his ability to convince the delegates that he was the one they wanted for President. That’s big.

Link

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Herman Cain also won 48% of the vote at the Western Conservative Summit in Colorado.

More evidence that Herman Cain Hides The Racist Elements Of The Republican Party.

scrubjay on October 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

The frontrunners, Romney and Perry have no need to speak at such a low drawer conference.. they are busy being frontrunners.

Gov. Christie missed the conference either because he was not invited, as he has repeatedly denied that he is in the running, or that his mother told him it wasn’t polite to yell at and insult a roomful of GOP women.

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

On the other hand, Cain who is short on $$$ will speak anywhere that people will listen… He spoke at GOP Women and Tea Party Convention, and did 2 Sunday shows. Tomorrow he meets with The Donald.. should be interesting.

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM

TheRightMan on October 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Right on, man.

AH_C on October 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

kringeesmom on October 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM

That was a pretty powerful line up of people at that conference. I wonder where Sarah Palin was?

Knucklehead on October 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

It is a hard way to go, this route is.

We have a republic, if we can keep it.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

He hits, he scores it right out of the park. Again.

AH_C on October 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM

knucklehead, great info, thanks!

ted c on October 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Perry had a racist ranch. Nothing could be more clear.

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

way to twist the facts. I’m not going to even bother with correcting you with the facts.

Just a question for you. Have you looked into your man’s own district and the non-PC names they have for various places? How’d you like for the msm to come down and link his ties to some of the insensitively named places?

Don’t worry, they won’t because he’s not going anywhere. But if they thot he had a chance, you can bet they’d be all over him and what Perry is going thru will be a cake walk.

AH_C on October 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

CAIN ME

blatantblue on October 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I have been off and on w/ Cain.
I am on board more and more.

esnap on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Is he the Messiah?
Does he have all the answers
Probably not.

Is he a private citizen that can cut through the bullsh1t?

Absolutely!

I am leaning Herman Cain.

esnap on October 3, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Cain is the frontrunner.

Geez… how am I going to tell Sarah that I’m breaking up with her after three wonderful years?

joe_doufu on October 3, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Perry had a racist ranch. Nothing could be more clear.

Spathi on October 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Ron Paul opposes the Civil War for cripes sake.

He suggests the union should have bought the slaves yet any grade schooler or amateur historian could tell you that was tried but the South resisted.

Ron Paul also opposes the Civil Rights Act and since you’re willing to slander Perry over a rock, Paul is easily deemed a racist by your standards.

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 4:27 AM

I wish we could have such a wise decent man as president.

Cain is the complete opposite of Obama.

Sherman1864 on October 3, 2011 at 5:28 AM

deedtrader on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’m getting close to boarding the Hermain Cain train—but the great thing is I don’t have to worry about voting until March 20th (IL)so lots of time to look. Perry is good, but am having a very hard time with his hard line illegals tuition subsidies position and the very insulting ‘don’t have a heart’ comment. That said, it’s not a deal breaker. I was a Fredhead in ’08 and it broke my heart so many idiots voted McCain in the primaries. We can’t let the media choose our candidate! Or Bill Kristol establishment Rhinos. It’ll enrage me something fierce if Romney emerges by default. Any candidate not firmly in the “repeal Obamacare” camp is never going to get my PRIMARY vote. If Romney makes it to the general, I’m changing to Independent and will get drunk before filling him in on my absentee ballot for POTUS. It’ll be the only way to take the pain away of a Romney vote….

Renwaa on October 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Herman Cain will make a good head of the EPA… as he dismantles it.

profitsbeard on October 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Don’t forget that he said he would build a new EPA after he was “forced” to get rid of the current one. :rollseyes:

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM

deedtrader on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Sorry, but I am not getting on the Cain train anytime soon. I am not going to get suckered into playing the Romney/Establishment game.

The GOP primary will boil down to Romney vs. Anti-Romney. Romney has his RINO state locked up and is just praying for conservatives to bash themselves, splinter themselves,… until they realize it’s too late and he emerges winner by default.

First they promoted Bachmann… who lasted until conservatives came to the realization that she was going nowhere.

Now, it’s Cain’s turn to be promoted…

The only Anti-Romney candidate that has the support and funds to beat Romney and Obama is Perry. Hence the attacks unleashed against him by the Romney Team.

Unfortunately, we have had the so-called “pure conservatives” latching on and trying to outdo Romney in bashing Perry.

Fair enough, my only question is that after telling myself and countless others to reject Perry because he is not a 100% conservative, how will those “pure conservatives” justify their turn around to ask that I lower those standards to support Romney against Obama if he is the nominee?

TheRightMan on October 3, 2011 at 6:35 AM

2. Given a choice between Obama and the marginally conservative Romney, why should I now lower my standards to accept Romney who is probably 50% conservative?

TheRightMan on October 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So SCOTUS appointments mean nothing to you?
Notice that thinking about McCain got us Obama. It is why there is now those 2 liberal chicks are on the SCOTUS.
Thanks for your support/

Badger40 on October 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM

We can’t let the media choose our candidate! It’ll enrage me something fierce if Romney emerges by default.

Renwaa and all,
How EXACTLY is the media choosing YOUR candidate? Don’t you do that by YOUR vote? People rise and fall on their own merits. No one is making YOUR selection for you and I get sick of hearing this false argument.

Also what everyone on here needs to remember, myself included, is that 80% of voters do NOT spend time on these online polls or even track what is going on per se as they are conservative like we are and will start to pay attention mid-summer next year as they are too busy running their day-to-day lives. Many of my sisters and brothers are all conservative BUT they do not “watch” political movements like all of us here at HA do and I imagine that the majority of the people do not either. So I do not put much stock in online polls or straw polls at some convention. The cream will rise and the candidate who is MOST qualified will win in the primaries and the general.

g2825m on October 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM

wish we could have such a wise decent man as president.

Cain is the complete opposite of Obama.

Sherman1864 on October 3, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Yes, decency!

balkanmom on October 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM

The new EPA is actually EAA (Environmental Advisory Agency) — a much smaller agency. I totally agree with this notion, that we have some experts who look at environmental issues and advise States, but have no regulatory powers. It is up to Congress and/or State govts to create laws to regulate and enforce the environment.

This is how it should be for all other executive powers agencies; research & advise, but make no regulations. It is up to the DOJ and States to enforce what rules the applicable legislatures enact.

AH_C on October 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I’ve converted to a Cainiac

kirkill on October 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM

So SCOTUS appointments mean nothing to you?
Thanks for your support/

Badger40 on October 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM

That is no guarantee of good SCOTUS appointments. Conservative Reagan had Sandra & Kennedy that turned out to be 50-50. Moderate Bush had Thomas.

More important than having all the SCOTUS chickens in the POTUS basket is getting a strong majority of GOP in Congress. Don’t forget, Dubya tried to get Gonzalez and Meirs appointed and changed his mind after the pushback from we-the-people. Even if Oboobi won again, Congress can block him from appointing libtards. After all, the Donks stopped Bork and Douglas H. Ginsburg.

Bottomline, the fate of SCOTUS is not enough for me to compromise my selection of POTUS.

AH_C on October 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Cain agrees with Ron Paul.

Herman Cain agrees that Obama murdered Anwar al-Awlaki,

Spathi on October 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Eye of the Tiger – Ron Paul 2012

The ONLY candidate who defend the Constitution 100% of the time not just when it’s politically convenient for his\her agenda.

Spathi on October 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Guarantee, Cain is a threat to the Big Republican Status Quo, they will pick apart every phrase and turn it into a major misstep. I want Cain more than ever, mainly because I’m sick of the same old song and dance.

kirkill on October 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

………standing on the side of the tracks again, waiting for the FEARLESS CONSERVATIVE train to come by.

Not on Cain Train anymore.

The media is going to chew him up and spit him out with all the distractions of the gay soldier boo, the nigstone, the daily outrage that drives Cable News.

We better stay focused on what Obama doesn’t want to stay focused on. THE FREEGIN ECONOMY and how he’s destroying it.

PappyD61 on October 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Cain agrees with Ron Paul.

Herman Cain agrees that Obama murdered Anwar al-Awlaki,

Spathi on October 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Wow.

capitalist piglet on October 3, 2011 at 2:55 PM

That is no guarantee of good SCOTUS appointments.
AH_C on October 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM

No kidding.
So instead of making the best of a bad situation, where something decent might come out of it instead of a total $hit sotrm, you’re willing to go purist and say eff the whole thing?
I’m in the camp that believes total chaos & ruination has to happen in this country for people the Wake the heck up.
But you know, it isn’t a bad idea to ocassionally hedge your bets.

Badger40 on October 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Spathi on October 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Ron Paul is 1/2 sense and half nuts.
He goes where many founding fathers chose not to go.
He’s way over the top on some things.
According to you, Jefferson was wrong to go to enter into the Barbary Wars.
So I am assuming you’ve got no problem rolling over like a beat dog when someone comes kicking at your a$$.
What do you do if you hear blood curdling screams from your neighbors? Close the curtains & turn up the music?
That’s Ron Paul for ya.