Perry and the “N-word Stone”

posted at 12:00 pm on October 2, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The Washington Post is leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to investigate every presidential candidate, and in Rick Perry’s case, it’s literally true. They have apparently dug up – again, almost literally – a large flat rock which used to stand outside the gates of a remote stretch of ranch-land which his family leased as a hunting camp. In times past it seems to have been emblazoned with a name containing a racially charged epithet which need not be repeated here.

Paint Creek, Tex. — In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp, a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“**********,” it read. [expletive deleted]

Ranchers who once grazed cattle on the 1,070-acre parcel on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River called it by that name well before Perry and his father, Ray, began hunting there in the early 1980s. There is no definitive account of when the rock first appeared on the property. In an earlier time, the name on the rock was often given to mountains and creeks and rock outcroppings across the country. Over the years, civil rights groups and government agencies have had some success changing those and other racially offensive names that dotted the nation’s maps.

But the name of this particular parcel did not change for years after it became associated with Rick Perry, first as a private citizen, then as a state official and finally as Texas governor. Some locals still call it that. As recently as this summer, the slablike rock — lying flat, the name still faintly visible beneath a coat of white paint — remained by the gated entrance to the camp.

When asked last week, Perry said the word on the rock is an “offensive name that has no place in the modern world.”

This story has it all, as national political race tales go. A popular, if recently struggling frontrunner for the GOP nomination, hints of racism, good ole’ boy politics… you name it. And it seems beyond question – at least thus far – that at least part of the story is true. The rock exists, though thrown down and painted over, and it did stand outside the ranch at one time. And if this turned out to be something that Perry knowingly embraced and maintained it would be the death of his political career at the national level.

But is it indicative of some deep-bred problem of racism in the Perry family? Not according to the initial pushback from his camp.

The presidential campaign of Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) complained Sunday that a front-page Washington Post story contains “incorrect, inconsistent” claims.

[...]

“A number of claims made in the story are incorrect, inconsistent, and anonymous, including the implication that Rick Perry brought groups to the lease when the word on the rock was still visible. The one consistent fact in the story is that the word on a rock was painted over and obscured many years ago.

First of all, not in an attempt to excuse the stone itself in any way, that name was sadly quite common across America for a long time… well into the 20th century. There is a ridge near my family’s original summer camp in the Adirondack Mountains in New York containing a spectacular, huge granite outcropping which went by the same name among the locals at least as late as the mid 70′s. It’s just part of a less educated era of our nation’s history.

But as to the case under discussion, this goes one of two ways for Perry. The land in question was leased, originally by his father, with the governor adding his name to the lease in later years. They no longer rent the property and never owned it. According to his response to the Washington Post, the first time he saw the rock – decades ago – he found it offensive and pointed it out to his father. It was then painted over and put out of sight.

Assuming that’s the truth, Perry has absolutely nothing to worry about and the Washington Post will have egg on its face again for looking like they’re cooking up a witch hunt against a GOP frontrunner. And given the “details” in their coverage, don’t be surprised if that’s exactly how this one plays out. While the fact of the stone’s existence seems beyond doubt, their “questions remaining” about the dates when it was painted over and thrown down involve anonymous sources with fuzzy memories and no specific dates given to contradict Perry’s claims.

If, however, some damning pictures, local news items or home movie footage show up which prove Rick Perry was there giving guests tours of the camp with the stone in place, well.. stick a fork in him. He’s done. It would demonstrate that he’s lying about it and – in politics – the coverup is always worse than the crime.

I wouldn’t count on it, though. Perry strikes me as too smart to think something like that could be covered up through the rigorous vetting of a presidential campaign, and the WaPo’s reputation isn’t exactly the gold standard on things like this. Combine that with the lack of specificity in the “questions” being raised in their article and this smells more like something you’d find in one of the outhouses on Perry’s former hunting camp site.

Update (Ed): Here is the statement from Perry’s camp in its entirety:

“Gov. Perry and his family never owned, controlled or managed the property referenced in the Washington Post story. The 42,000-acre ranch is owned by the Hendricks Home for Children, a West Texas charity. http://www.hendrickhome.com/

“Perry’s father painted over offensive language on a rock soon after leasing the 1,000-acre parcel in the early 1980s.  When Gov. Perry was party to the hunting lease from 1997 to 2007, the property was described as northern pasture.  He has not been to the property since 2006.

“In 1991, the Texas Legislature passed a bill to rename old, offensive place names.”

If so, this is journalistic malpractice, and the Washington Post owes Governor Perry a big apology.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I am a Palin supporter. I am not “covering for Perry.” I’m pointing out the truth. Too bad you’re too stubborn to see it.

JannyMae on October 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I will certainly attest that you are indeed a Palin supporter. *smiles in a nice way*

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM

(Ducks and covers, I know, I asked for it)

MJBrutus on October 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM

KTMOL and Kat’ have no use for her either…and they have no problems sayin’ as much.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM

If they could paint it over–which they did– they could conveniently “break it” and go “Oops.”
Then propose to the owner that he name it something else.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Would you stop with the rock and Gov. Perry? Go destroy the rock yourself if you’re so concerned about it, geesh!

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Koa on October 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM

100 places world wide isn’t that “common” especially when almost all of them, except for Rick’s rock, have been changed to reflect the times.
“N*****head”

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Why didn’t this thought occur to Perry?
He’s been in public office for years and years.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

MJBrutus on October 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM

The personal attacks, which are then labelled attacks on various candidates’ supporters, are the least attractive thing about HA.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Katy TMOL is a blast :-)

MJBrutus on October 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Your comments are just BEGGING for some music…

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Paul-Cincy on October 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

“Black Americana” items are highly sought after by many collectors. Whoopi’s collection is quite valuable I’m sure. The original “Black Sambo” books, and the black “mammy” cookie jars, banks, etc. would all be considered as demeaning also. But should we burn, break, or paint over this part of history? Seems ridiculous to me.

lynncgb on October 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Katy TMOL is a blast :-)

MJBrutus on October 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

KTMOL is an equal opportunity bigot. She hates everybody. LOL!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Nice to see you again. Hope things are going better health wise.

I pulled muscles in my back and my bro in law did the same in his neck lifting boxes from a delivery truck. Ouch!

Sarah Palin may be right when she said this election would be Unconventional:-)

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Thanks for your kind words, bluefox. I’m up motoring around pretty good. My bones have all healed good from the wreck. Have had one breast cancer surgery, and looking at a second one, then chemo and radiation. Trying to stay positive and go about my normal routine.

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

That’s so sweet – thank you!

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Why didn’t this thought occur to Perry?
He’s been in public office for years and years.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Because he thought painting and turning it over was adequate?

Because he knew some property law and that making changes to the premises can result in owing damages to the landowner. Or maybe the lease actually says something about altering the premises without the owner’s permission. Try reading your lease, if you are currently a tenant somewhere.

You still haven’t explained why the painted rock apparently must cease to exist, other than a cutesy “oops” when “accidentally” breaking up the rock.

“Well, gosh darn, I was just trying out my new jackhammer out on the open country, and it slipped and landed on the rock, many times…” “Dang, I dropped that TNT and it landed on the rock. Lucky I got away half a mile before it went off..”

Wethal on October 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I hadn’t thought of this. In all honesty, you both have a good point. Whoopi Goldberg has a collection of signs and such from Jim Crow era. It struck me as odd, but it works for her. And here in Cincinnati we have the “Underground Railroad Freedom Museum” (which I’ve not been to) which I understand has all kinds of relics from that era. It’s not exactly the Taliban blowing up the Buddha statues, but, really, I see your point. I do. Never thought of it like that.

Paul-Cincy on October 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

That porch is part of the front apartment’s space, it’s a wrap around on my Victorian triplex. I use to have a 50/60ish mixed couple out there, he white, she black… She would often watch me as I cut the lawn. I always suspected that she enjoyed the scene of the white field hand cutting her lawn (lol).
Of the tenants I’ve had out there over the past 16 years, she was the only one who seemed to time her tea time break with my weekend mowing. I don’t point out the unique character of the rail to most people, but I know that her boyfriend knew…
He laughed about it with me one time. So I also suspect that she knew… Which might explain the extra big smile she had while watching me mow.
It’s all good so long as nobody gets their eye poked out I guess.

RalphyBoy on October 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM

*winks*

JannyMae on October 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

“N*****head”

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Nothing is too low for some of you. My God, what an eye-opener this has been.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Why didn’t this thought occur to Perry?
He’s been in public office for years and years.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

It appears to me that only you and the Wash Po are having a heart attack over it, LOL

It’s a non issue. You are allowing your dislike of Gov. Perry to overrule common sense.

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Jenfidel, you know you’ve hit rock bottom when you’re not even civil enough to be accepted by the Other supporters.

(Ducks and covers, I know, I asked for it)

MJBrutus on October 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You have your moments, but so do we all, and you have generally moderated your comments of late. Kudos for that.

What annoys the heck out of me is these pissing contests that go on here constantly, Fill in the blank:

You Palinistas/ABP’s are ______________!

No we’re not! You are!

What went on on that Cain headline thread was ridiculous, and that’s the reason I don’t read here as much as I used to, and don’t comment very much. There are a handful of unreasonable idiots supporting each of the candidates, who force me to scroll past posts. it’s funny, though, because it seemed to have settled down a little, until Perry entered the race, and then it got brutal all over again.

JannyMae on October 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Really learning a lot about some of my fellow conservatives today.

Learning that in politics, a destructive, despicable racial smear is perfectly fine if it’s directed at someone you’re desperate to defeat.

Some of you really make me ashamed to be associated with you. You really do.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Really learning a lot about some of my fellow conservatives today.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

You want a crying towel?

One poster which most everyone is disagreeing with is saying this stuff and you think that extends to all of us?

Thats nonsense.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

silvernana on October 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Glad the bones have healed. You must be in pretty good shape, that seems fast! Well, surgery of any kind is not pleasant and a shock to the system too. Yes, staying positive is important. I’ve always found reading uplifting books to be helpful and believe it or not, praying for others. Speaking of which, that link I posted has a live chat and it’s helpful too as well as the prayer line (daytime weekday hours)

I know I called in your name and another person’s at the same time.

Take care!!

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Why didn’t this thought occur to Perry?
He’s been in public office for years and years.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Because that’s the way Texas is! Perry has given money to Greenville Texas and has probably spent time there. Even raised money from Greenville for his campaigns. Yet, he has yet to sufficiently answer for this racist sign:

Greenville Texas

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Two in this thread jumped the shark, and Bachmann is not one of you.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

“N-word Stone”?

Are we a nation of eight-year-olds? We all know what the word is. Go ahead, type it out. The sky’s not going to fall.

sartana on October 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Really learning a lot about some of my fellow conservatives today.

Some of you really make me ashamed to be associated with you. You really do.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I can understand where you are coming from. I hadn’t read HA much and hardly ever posted until recently. Had other interests that kept me occupied. I noticed a very big difference in the comments and was very surprised at the ugliness and that they were allowed to stand. Some other forums and blogs would never allow some of this content.

I remember reading Captain’s Quarters and it was an intelligent informative site. Not that some of the posters here are not, there are just too many of the other spiteful kind.

Other forums/blogs would call them trolls or bots.

bluefox on October 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

“N*****head”

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

sigh……

Koa on October 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Yeah . like in state tuition for illegals. He practically wears his hood to work.

Southernblogger on October 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Funny, I’ve a cousin who keeps telling everyone how long the family has been in the country. Everyone. Ad nauseum. But her hood is made from designer sheets.

katy the mean old lady on October 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM

“Brazilion Nut” for $100

trs on October 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I’ve never lived in Texas, so tell me alt, why should I believe YOU and not Jenfidel……who has lived there her whole life.

tencole on October 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Because jenfidel is the final word on all things Texas.

I also have visited country cousins in East Texas (one of the most racially backwards places in the world) who hunt and are proud rednecks.
Go to Marshall, Texas: they still think the Civil War hasn’t been won yet…by the South.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM

See, expert on all things Texas!

Post a few links to those, please.
I would be riveted to see them, as would the other HA posters, I’m sure.
Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Hon, it was you who posted the link to wikipedia. It had lots of usage.

He is a redneck, you know, at least in attitude.
But he’s never had a real red neck due to doing any work.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Nope, as any Texas expert can attest, ranching in west Texas will not cause a red neck.

Then, why is the rock still there? (which the WaPo states that it is)
There should be plenty around to replace it.

And since when did places get known by their “rock name?”

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Because rocks is heavy. And this particular rock was owned by some one else. Are you sure you are a Texas expert?

There’s nothing “elitist” about wanting the Governor of Texas who’s running for POTUS not making all of Texas look like it’s full of bigoted rednecks.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Well, we certainly aren’t a bunch of elitist snobs. Wait a second, didn’t you just write that there were a bunch of racist rednecks in Texas?

Then propose to the owner that he name it something else.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Oh, yeah, I can see the headlines now: “Perry destroys private property rights. Insists everything must be PC even if it belongs to some one else”.

“N*****head”

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Not according to the original story. Did you read it? What kind of Texas expert are you?

Sometimes there are advantages to coming to a thread late.

I may not be an expert on Texas, but I think anoyinglittleyankeetwerp is more aware of Texas than the supposed expert jenfidel.

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

FIRST THEY CAME FOR SARAH PALIN !

stenwin77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yep. They been emboldened and given tacit permission without push back.

So every time we see this garbage we know we’re getting what we deserve for not standing up for Palin and allowing the LSM and minions to perpetuate this behavior.

kim roy on October 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

FIRST THEY CAME FOR SARAH PALIN !

stenwin77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yep. They been emboldened and given tacit permission without push back.

kim roy on October 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Eh, well I’m not in anybody’s camp but I do agree this is one major stretch of a hitjob on a candidate.

whatcat on October 2, 2011 at 5:02 PM

FIRST THEY CAME FOR SARAH PALIN !

stenwin77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Not even close! Before Palin, the MSM brutalized: GWB, Lott, Newt (even before his marital trouble), Sen. Allen, DeLay (even before his legal trouble), GHWB, Quayle, Clarence Thomas, Bork, Reagan, Goldwater… the list and the beat goes on and on and on.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Jenfidel calling Perry racist. Heh.

Perceptron on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

You want a crying towel?

Thats nonsense.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Can you read what I said, slowly this time?

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I just read the headlines and saw Cain playing the race-card on this. WTH is Cain thinking trusting that the MSM has gotten this story straight?! I can’t believe it.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

the tack you are taking on it really does make you look petty, desperate, and foolish.

JannyMae on October 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Oh, she pretty much always looks that yas

Eren on October 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Pravda On The Potomac is trying to create a “macaca” moment for Perry just like they did for George Allen. They flogged that poor horse to death, but Allen lost the election for the Senate thanks to Pravda’s efforts. They will hang this around Perry’s neck like the proverbial millstone and force him to swim with it. Perry had better get a clue and go on the offensive against this kind of red journalism.

abcurtis on October 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Excellent list. you left off Nixon before Watergate. Nixon was the most hated man in America by the media until Reagan came along. On the other hand, i’ve seen nothing but a perverse kind of love for democrats.

abcurtis on October 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I’ll add that even if the story as reported had been true (which it isn’t), Cain should not be attacking a fellow GOP with this. The MSM doesn’t need any help.

I am officially done with Cain. Between his saying that he could never endorse Perry, implying Obama is better, and his playing the race-card and trusting the MSM against a fellow GOP on this, it’s the final nail in the coffin for me.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM

abcurtis on October 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

While I think this is a somewhat silly attack, I believe Perry already has tied enough millstones sufficient enough to sink himself around his own neck.

whatcat on October 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

whatcat on October 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Among them,

Gardasil

TTC

“Heartless”

And I’m sure I could dig deeper for more.

gryphon202 on October 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

The difference being that with Palin for the first time in my memory those who were supposed to be “on her side” were among the loudest parroting the MSM memes.

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

And I’m sure I could dig deeper for more.

gryphon202 on October 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I’ll still take Perry over Palin any day.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Whine on you big effing baby.

CW on October 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Whine on you big effing baby.

CW on October 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

St. Sarah the martyr.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Wow..Jazz Shaw has gotten 300 + hits on his post!!..Awesome!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 2, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Herman Cain now looks like a loose cannon.

gryphon202 on October 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Interesting choice of words there.

The noun “n***erhead” is, among other things, a former British term for a black iron post for mooring ships, made from an old cannon partially buried muzzle upward, with a slightly oversize black cannonball covering the hole. It is also a former sailors’ term for an isolated coral head, notorious as navigation hazards.

These usages have been around for a long time — no doubt, some enterprising journalist will eventually write a learned article that will dredge all this up.

Or, then again, considering the state of journalism these days, maybe not …

I’m also waiting for the breathless, too-shocked-for-words media report which reveals that Governor Perry once read an actual unexpurgated copy of Huckleberry Finn when he was a youth — and enjoyed it!

RedPepper on October 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

When they finish torpedoing Perry, Romney will be next. The hit pieces are already written.

SurferDoc on October 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM

CW on October 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

St. Sarah the martyr.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Palin has nothing to do with what her supporters say.

alwaysfiredup on October 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Ad from NAACP showing Perry dragging James Byrd behind his pickup with chains in 5…..4…..

PappyD61 on October 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Perry is done with or without this issue. He’s not quick or sharp enough to rebut the attacks. Obama doesn’t have a giant preference for who he faces in the general at this point. Romney would give him cover for his biggest policy weakness, the unpopular health care bill. Palin is supposedly a ridiculous and easily-defeated figure. Perry is a clod. Cain has even less government experience than Obama had. The rest are presently also-rans. I have no inkling how he feels about Christie, maybe he sees him as a threat, maybe not. But no GOP candidate is much more of a threat than any other. If they can keep campaign focus on how awful Obama has been, they will win. If they can’t do that, they will lose.

alwaysfiredup on October 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Whine on you big effing baby.

CW on October 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

St. Sarah the martyr.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Let us start snarking at how Perry is hopelessly damaged because he or his family owned/leased/used a place called N*****head, and let’s see who are the whining big f*cking babies. And martyrs.

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

And I’m sure I could dig deeper for more.

gryphon202 on October 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I’ll still take Perry over Palin any day.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I wouldn’t. The guy is starting to look like Dubya without the brains.

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Maybe in the future, we could handle such stories a little more maturely.

MeatHeadinCA on October 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Many conservatives have fallen for the PC BS such that this appears to be the only word in the English language that needs to be censored when typed. So when it actually becomes illegal, these conservatives have already posted in support of limiting free speech.

SirGawain on October 2, 2011 at 7:41 PM

who are the whining big f*cking babies.
ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Look in the mirror dipshite. You Palintards consistently use the
victim card. You must have mistaken me for one of your Perrykrishnas. Unlike you I am not in the bag for any one candidate. I want to see how they all play out before I vote in the primary. Yes you’re a joke. If Palin does not enter or does not win I will enjoy your tears.

CW on October 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Look in the mirror dipshite. You Palintards consistently use the

CW on October 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Won’t be any tears here, bunny-boiler. And yeah, b1tching’s a whole lot easier, isn’t it? I mean, I can sit here and b1tch about Perry’s mumblingbumblingstumbling dumbassery all day long and listen to you and the other anti-Palin nutjobs whine about it like good little martyrs.

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM

CW on October 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

This puts you officially on my “ignore” list, nutter. Hypocrisy and personal attacks are all you provide.

JannyMae on October 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Hey its that N*****head guy!

LevStrauss on October 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I like Cain, but just lost a lot of respect for him. He is just using this to beat back the competition. You may not care for some of Rick Perry’s political stances, but he is not a racist. How low can you go? As a Caucasian female who lothes any kind of racial slur, this is ridiculous! We hate this treatment from black Democrats, so why should we tolerate it from our own party?

Rick Perry and his family did not put that sign there, nor did they own the land, so they should not be held accountable for it being there. This is mudslinging at it’s worst, and then our own party is climbing on the bandwagon! I hope this backfires on any Republican candidate that tries to use it against Perry, including Herb Cain

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I am not in any particular ‘camp’, but I agree with the Perry supporters that this is a bunch of baloney. Frankly, I even think the gardasil flap was quite overblown.

I had read through several of the references supplied indirectly by Wikipedia regarding whether or not illegal immigrants pay taxes… When the CBO publishes a review, while acknowledging that it didn’t bother to review the methodology of any of the 29 studies it references – it carries no weight. The simple citation of an ITIN does not equal an accurate assessment of who is paying federal taxes. When Govt agencies are cited as ‘assuming’ or ‘estimating’ such data, it reminds me of how often Govt agencies grossly underestimate the real problem.

This damn stone is a non-issue for Perry. However, he still has to explain things related to illegals better than he did yesterday regarding education (not to mention ignoring the cost of subsidizing health care)…… He should ask several of his supporters who post here for suggestions, because right now, even stupid stuff like this rock could have an impact… when it shouldn’t.

Danny on October 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM

To Perry’s credit he did reply quickly to the press that the stone was…”before…the stone…ahh…after…painted…as a matter of fact the sign painted…before, after…the stone after.”

Nobody could dispute that.

LevStrauss on October 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM

RedPepper on October 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I doubt that your erudite contribution to this discussion will earn much notice or comment. These threads quickly degenerate into tit-for-tat and petty ad hominem attacks, and useful information is almost always ignored. Your addition to the thread, providing historical context, simply failed to sling any “red meat” into the pit for the beast.

However, I just wanted to say that I really appreciated your information. It was the most interesting thing I have read all day.

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM

PappyD61 on October 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Funny thing about that is that Texas just executed one of Byrd’s murderers last week.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM

While Perry can explain away the presence of the rock, he can’t explain away his rather racist attitudes towards non-whites.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

You don’t know what the h*** you are talking about.

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Bidaily, Perry seems to have a new scandal. This is not the one I am thinking of for this bidaily event. Wild eyed bat shit crazy putting American troops in drug wars in Mexico are this current rounds lovely scandal. Perry, the gift that just keeps on giving.

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM

You don’t know what the h*** you are talking about.

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM

That’s jen for ya.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM

FIRST THEY CAME FOR SARAH PALIN !

stenwin77 on October 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yep. They been emboldened and given tacit permission without push back.

kim roy on October 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

whatcat on October 2, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Most people will just see the word “racist” attached to Perry and that will be enough. The LSM knows this. We let them caricature our politicians without pushback for how long now?

Palin, for instance, is still thought to say that she could see Russia from her house. Just last week people thought she was calling Cain “the flavor of the week”.

People can’t be bothered to find out the truth (even for something as idiotic as an old stone) and the LSM knows if they repeat the same false meme it will eventually become “truth”.

Not sure why people are surprised. Perry today, Cain next week and if Christie gets in can you imagine? They’ll have him eating puppies because that’s how come he’s so big, ya know.

But here we all are arguing over who’s a Palinista and who’s a Perrykrishna and helping them do their work. Sorry for the rant, but geez most of you people get distracted so quickly.

kim roy on October 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM

kim roy on October 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Of course we do. Those who supported Pawlenty were ridiculed. Do you think they are now going to stand up for Perry/Cain when the attacks come in? Those on this site seemed more likely to be attacking Bachmann a short time ago above and beyond what the progressive left was doing for telling the truth that no one wants to hear. Who among her supporters are now going to stand up for Perry/Cain or who ever is next in line? Perry is going down in flames. He should probably get a French Fighter name to go along with the rest of his campaign. I sure as hell am not going to stand up and protect him from attack when those pushing him on us were part and parcel to the destruction of Bachmann’s campaign. As far as I am concerned, all of the Perry supporters attacked me personally, repeatedly, and if they think I am going to stand up today and help him chart a course that does not end with his plane totally destroyed on the mountain they made out of a molehill on Bachmann you can think again.

You cannot judge a book by it’s cover, but you can judge a man by those he associates with. Well, I also believe that a candidate is not responsible for things his supporters say, but the people a candidate inspires to support him are a reflection of that candidates character.

Cain has a pretty clean record. I have not seen many lunatics supporting him at all costs as if he is the chosen one and if anyone attacks him they are the antichrist. I do not yet trust the man is a true conservative at heart, and I also have not seen him as an awe inspiring leader that will be able to do the hard things required to save this country from it’s current trajectory. But he has a shot at earning my support. Perry, well, he does as well, I have not written him off yet, but then again, I am going to be as hard on him as every other person was on Pawlenty (someone I did not support in the least) and Bachmann (someone I still support).

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

…containing a spectacular, huge granite outcropping which went by the same name among the locals at least as late as the mid 70′s. It’s just part of a less educated era of our nation’s history.

Really?

You actually believe past generations were less educated than current ones?

Only if you equate time at school to education can you make such a silly claim.

And, only if you believe being PC equates to education.

mockmook on October 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM

You don’t know what the h*** you are talking about.

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Nice non sequitur.
A Governor who passes the DREAM Act, meets with La Raza, wants bi-national health care with Mexico, and tried to build the NAFTA Super Highway which he was then going to sell to Spain is decidedly racist in favor of Hispanics.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

That’s jen for ya.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I am definitely going to say something to AP and Ed if you don’t stop with the personal attacks on me that are unconnected to anything having to do with this blog, the topic under discussion or anything else.
They are just sheer personal attacks.
Knock it off.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Nice non sequitur.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Heh, this is comedy, right?

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Gotta’ be comedy. You need more practice.

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

When you’re running for office, especially POTUS, everything’s fair game.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 2:35

WRONG.

What a lovely person to have as a fellow Texan, are you sure you’re not a liberal Democrat?

Everyone else please note: most Texans are nice, friendly people. There is always someone with a chip on their shoulder that makes the rest of us look bad.

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

When it comes to my country and who’s going to lead it as President, I don’t think it should be anything but dead serious.
Especially given the state it’s in now.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Awwww – need a kleenex?

Why don’t you just report ALL of us to AP and Ed, because nearly everyone else here thinks you’re stupid too.

Shay on October 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Susanboo on October 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I’m a conservative Republican.
And I have a “chip on my shoulder” and I’m not a “nice, friendly person” because I stated the Media’s SOP simply and clearly?
Wow.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Heh, this is comedy, right?

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

No, it’s sophistry, a form of rhetoric off of which Jenfidel does not appear to be able to wean herself.

Her arguments also fit the definition of solipsism, which, clinically, is rare except in certain pathological circumstances.

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Someone at another blog had a good point: Cain runs a pizza chain called “Godfather’s” (implying what exactly about Italians?) yet he attacks Perry for this. Hypocrit.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I’m a conservative Republican.
Wow.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Ya’ ain’t kiddin’ there. You go as far as to insult Texas and Texans. You say Perry is a redneck, but not an authentic redneck.

You must be from Houston.

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

More personal attacks on me, disguised as discussion…and you’re still not making any argument for anything, even your own opinion.

This place is full of trolls, determined to protect Perry at any price.
You have nothing to justify Perry’s actions and record, so you attack me and anyone else who isn’t supporting him.
Good plan. Should get him elected, too.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

There ain’t nuthin’ subtle about this nutball.

Though you might be on to something with the solipsism description.

She is all over the place with her charges.

Is she a Paul supporter?

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM

They are just sheer personal attacks.
Knock it off.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Tattletale!

Perceptron on October 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Clearly Cain “jumped the gun” and needs to “walk back” his verbal “lynching” of Perry.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

That’s jen for ya.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM

They are just sheer personal attacks.
Knock it off.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

This is my afraid look…..wanna see it again?
///

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM

No, I’m saying that you twist words to fit your own eccentric theories (sophistry), and that you constantly introduce facts that are not in evidence anywhere but inside your own head (solipsism).

If your chosen method of argumentation is dishonest (or sociopathic), it is not unexpected that some of that is going to splash back on you.

Here’s a perfect example:

My pet peeve is his Texas “Renewable Energy” Act of 2005 that forces us all to use 10% wind power, whether we want it or not, resulting in blackouts and outages.

Would it surprise anyone to know that your description above is totally misleading? I think not. The legislation in question was signed by Perry, but originated in the Republican-controlled legislature. Not only that, it did not mandate “10% wind power”. It was (1) an extension of previous legislation signed by Bush, and (2) increased the renewable energy component for power generation, but did not specify a source. In fact, the most recent iteration went so far as to require a percentage of the power generation come from something other than wind. The focus on wind power has been the result of business decisions by various companies who evaluated costs and benefits and came to their own conclusions. Yet you try and blame it all on Perry. Sophistry.

Your solipsisms are equally accessible, but I omit to quote them here only for the sake of brevity.

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM

HTL on October 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, I think I am going to trust Jenfidel on this one…

Perry signed a law. That pretty much makes it his responsibility and calling it his Texas “Renewable Energy” Act of 2005 is perfectly reasonable.

It is also perfectly reasonable to blame that law for forcing 10% wind power down the throats of Texas residents. Regardless of what the law intended, it ended up with 10% wind power. It is called the law of unintended consequences, when government tries to dictate minute details on a very large entity such as the free market.

Looking at the wind farm numbers, it looks like every time they get to peak power the wind farms are producing very very close to valley power. So, it is also reasonable to blame the law that got Texas 10% wind power for the blackouts that would not have occurred without the law.

As for your final argument, saying that it was simply a continuation of a previous law. Well, when something is shown to be a failure and you double down on stupid, well, it says much about you.

Score +1 Jenfidel

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Well I haven’t been a Bachmann fan for quite a while and I’ve had my negative things to say about her, but otherwise you raise a good point. Others of us are constantly ridiculed for “whining” about unfair media attacks and playing the victim card. Many of these same people who dished out the ridicule are now whining about — unfair media attacks. Sure, it was an unfair attack on Perry. Now quit the whining. Right? Those are the rules. AND — he shouldn’t say anything about it.

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM

So now not vetoing a law allows it to be christened with your name? As if it was your idea in the first place? No. The fact is that Jenfidel thought she could throw out an incendiary phrase, make it sound like it was Perry’s idea, and establish guilt by word association. That meets the classic definition of sophistry. Incidentally, even if Perry had vetoed the law in 2005, the 1999 version would still have been fully operative. And what were all those crazy Republican legislators thinking, anyway? Or is even Texas now overrun by RINOs? If so, then we are truly lost.

As for the previous iteration of the law being a “failure”, it actually wasn’t, and isn’t. The renewable energy targets are being consistently surpassed. The fact that unusual weather conditions have reduced normally abundant wind power in West Texas is a temporary situation, not a permanent one. Additional generating capacity will allow Texas to meet its own energy needs, and export a considerable number of megawatts to the rest of us at a profit when the wind is blowing again (like, starting right about now). Probably built into the original business plans, in fact.

HTL on October 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Greenville Texas

cozmo on October 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

+1000

Additionally, he has yet to apologize for his role in Texas’ secession at the outset of the Civil War.

unclesmrgol on October 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

That is the most ridiculous rationale I ever read. I have defended all the candidates against the baseless attacks because I refuse to let the media set the narrative, but when the criticism is warranted, such as when Pawlenty looked weak for not attacking Romney in the debate and Bachmann jumped the shark with her Gardasil angle, I let it slide.

Perry deserves his criticism on in state tuition and debate performances, but the Mexican Drug War? Give me a break, those attacks are just as fallacious as this one. There is a very real threat the cartel represents and it has increasingly been spilling over into our country – Perry said NOTHING wrong there. Yet you let these moronic attacks slide because your feelings were hurt after your candidate of choice was attacked?

That’s the problem with emotionally attaching yourself to any candidate.

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 1:52 AM

ddrintn on October 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM

You’re one of the biggest monsters on this site to any candidate not Palin. I’d rather intentionally stare at the sun while pouring salt in my eyes than accidentally read one of your posts as I just did.

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Yeah, I think I am going to trust Jenfidel on this one…

astonerii on October 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Yeah, not the smartest of things to do. Never trust someone as blatantly dishonest as that one who has a history of fallacious and unfounded attacks, including right here in this thread.

I remember this community being more reasonable at one time.

Daemonocracy on October 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM

That’s jen for ya.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM

They are just sheer personal attacks.
Knock it off.

Jenfidel on October 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

This is my afraid look…..wanna see it again?
///

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM

C’mon, knock off this crap.

This isn’t LGF and let’s not start.

We’ve got an incumbent to throw out.

Play nice.