Video: Woman hears voice for the first time

posted at 7:15 pm on October 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

It’s not “newsy,” but then neither was the video of the little Brazilian girl and everyone loved that. What this is, in fact, is a legit viral sensation and assuredly the most affecting thing you’ll see today. Her name is Sloan Churman; she’s 29 and has been deaf since the day she was born — until very, very recently. Eight weeks ago she had surgery to have the Esteem hearing aid implanted in her ear. This is the moment when they turned it on. Magic.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

How is arguing for a lack of belief pushing another faith Sharrukin?

You don’t have a lack of faith as I already pointed out.

You believe that men have more intrinsic value than chickens do you not?

Do you believe that men are equal?

JUST like they tried to stop Galileo and Copernicus who challenged the church’s view that the earth was the center of everything and that the sun revolved around the earth instead of the other way around.

In 1533, Johann Albrecht Widmannstetter delivered a series of lectures in Rome outlining Copernicus’ theory. Pope Clement VII and several Catholic cardinals heard the lectures and were interested in the theory. On 1 November 1536, Cardinal Nikolaus von Schönberg, Archbishop of Capua, wrote to Copernicus from Rome:

Some years ago word reached me concerning your proficiency, of which everybody constantly spoke. At that time I began to have a very high regard for you… For I had learned that you had not merely mastered the discoveries of the ancient astronomers uncommonly well but had also formulated a new cosmology. In it you maintain that the earth moves; that the sun occupies the lowest, and thus the central, place in the universe… Therefore with the utmost earnestness I entreat you, most learned sir, unless I inconvenience you, to communicate this discovery of yours to scholars, and at the earliest possible moment to send me your writings on the sphere of the universe together with the tables and whatever else you have that is relevant to this subject …

Religions pit man against man, and a world without religion would have one less reason to fight and disagree.

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM

How touching and naive.

What about ideology? Wouldn’t a world without ideology be a world with one less reason to fight and disagree?

Wouldn’t a world without property be a world with one less reason to fight and disagree?

Why all this time and effort spent on religion? Seems more than a little odd that religion is always the one you guys go for rather than ideology or political beliefs.

And why do you even care if it pits man against man as you claim?

Why does that matter if you have no faith?

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Man will always fight over things, that much is sure, but wouldn’t having one less reason to fight be something worth fighting for? ;-)

I fight against religion because it seems the most likely reason for nuclear war to be fought in the first place. The Muslims will sneak a smuggled nuke into one of our cities, or once they get proficient enough with missiles and can reach us they decide to finish it all and bring on this Armageddon that both religions work towards.

So what do YOU believe?

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

So what do YOU believe?

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I believe I want some authentic German Black Forest cake.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Made me laugh.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 8:54 PM

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Do you mind entertaining one question?

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Do you mind entertaining one question?

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM

No problem!

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM

No problem!

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Very interesting perspective you have. I was just wondering if you grew up in a home that professed one faith or the other. Not which one but just if your family did follow a faith.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM

No I was raised in a completely secular home. I have been in a church exactly twice in my life. Once to see my brother married who was a Christian (and boy did he get the hairy eyeball for that), and once when I was young just to see what they looked like.

I have read the Bible, though not from front to back or anything. I have a great deal of respect for Christians and have little tolerance for militant atheists who have to attack Christians to prove something. Christians always seemed like pretty decent people to me.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I gathered that from your exchange with davidk and your comments to SK537. Have you ever seen the Harrison Ford movie “Witness” about the Amish boy who was witness to a murder in Philly I think it was supposed to be?

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Yes, it was very good.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Yes, it was very good.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Yep, very good movie. In a way, one of Ford’s best I think. Although Mrs. Hawk loves him as Decker in BladeRunner.(I appreciate acting, she appreciates bad boys)

But the point was that there is a scene in the movie where Ford, who is hiding with the Amish, dressing like them, ends up in town with them and watches a bully start to accost the Amish Family he’s with. He pops the guy in the nose and defuses the situation, sort of. I have seen that behavior in many people like you. Not that you’d take to violence, but that you wouldn’t stand by without involving yourself. There’s a bit of that in me, which there shouldn’t be. I am not great Christian by any stretch.

But if you’ll humor an old Christian, I believe God smiles on that and people like you. I would pray that he’d consider that.

Anyway, very good discussion with you and the others I mentioned. Take care.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Nah, I’m probably goin’ to hell, but thanks anyway!

One thing that I do know is that the morality that made the west great was Christian morality, or a modified moral code derived from Christianity. We have a lot of good things in our lives which others in foreign lands lack. This is not because their nations lack resources. They lack the mindframe that created the west.

I cannot convince myself that what I believe to be good and evil is coincidently pretty close to what Christians also believe. I know where it comes from even if I don’t believe in the source. My hypocrisy only goes so far (loved Tombstone as well).

Anyway, very good discussion with you and the others I mentioned. Take care.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM

You as well… and your wife is right, Bladerunner is one of the best sci-fi movies made (NOT the directors cut without the voice over though).

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Meant to quote, not strike.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

The first thing I would have wanted to hear would have been my wife’s.

29Victor on October 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Haven’t been married long have you?

right2bright on October 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Meant to quote, not strike.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Much of what I write should be stricken. :-)

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Much of what I write should be stricken. :-)

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Hardly. You have more patience than me if your argument with SaurKraut is anything to go by.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM

You are treating religious belief as arbitrary. Is it fair to say you think religious belief is probably better understood as vestigial?

If you are thinking its vestigial, and assuming God does not exist, surely you are still premature in pronouncing religion superfluous. It is not irrational for people to wonder about their relative positions within greater and greater frames of reference, and we haven’t developed any alternative framework for expressing those questions. And there are others. If consciousness is emergent—if a human being is more than the sum of his or her atoms—what else is emergent? What else is about to unpredictably appear in the natural universe? What has already come and gone, lost forever?

As a warning, we see unfolding from one bee, a whole hive. We reassure ourselves that we can gather up the natural rules and describe it completely—with an effort, shortly. We try not to think about the reality that we would never have thought to look for these rules if anyone took away the bee.

Unfolding from one protein, a whole cyclic cascade. Unfolding from one cold rock, an astonishing ecosystem with mankind as its hapless tyrant.

Is it even possible to know all the physical laws governing matter and energy, or do we have only opportunity to see the few that have expressed themselves in a measurable way? What else might be down there, beneath the surface of natural law? Does it matter? Should we know? Are we wondering about it just because we are structured to be careful about our own survival, or would we still wonder even if we evolved enough and learned enough to make ourselves completely secure?

It is not insanity to wonder about things near the boundary dividing knowable and unknowable, to wonder about what something might mean given a larger frame of reference. And it is absolutely not ridiculous, stupid, or thoughtless to see structure in something and ask the question why.

All this, opening and keeping open the door to what men call “religion,” even if no God exists.

I typed this … tome, 537, not because I want to argue about whether or not a fast computer with an adequate genetic model could model a bee hive, but because you are, in my opinion, thinking too small. You just reduced yourself to arguing Hitler was a Christian for goodness sake, and that religion must go because it is just another something that divides us. At least blaspheme, if you are going the neo-atheistic “insane” rout. Or, as I am subtly trying to suggest, you might back off a bit and make room for the complete legitimacy of religious thought.

It actually has nothing to do with volcanoes.

Axe on October 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Meant to quote, not strike.

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Much of what I write should be stricken. :-)

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM

So funny.

Axe on October 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

sharrukin on October 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Most of that is just fun regardless how serious the comments seem. I don’t think he takes me very seriously at all and I know don’t take him serious. He is firmly ensconced into my prayers though with me asking God that he never meets Harrison Ford.

later

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM

One thing before I go. The video. I came to comment on it when I saw the crap posted about her comments as to her religion. A DL and DS here, but it is wild to see the emotion in the faces of people when they are going through these life revelations. I think Allah hit it on the head actually, comparing it to the little girl from the Operation Smile video. There is something about “that” film that could win a film festival for displaying the human emotion. Better than anything I’ve seen lately. Honestly, I cannot get over the change in that little girl. Not so much in her appearance, but in her demeanor. What an angel and what an insight to our soul. And this young woman may or may not have heard before, but her reaction could not have been faked. Wonderful stuff Hot Air amid the politics.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

LOL@Bruthaman! You assume too much… And we all know what assuming does to the assumer.

Use that google-fu of yours and go find one of my previous posts about who I am. Aw, nevermind, here’s the short story…

I’m 43 now and have been a Christian for 30+ years of my life. I’ve read all the major apologetics writers of our day plus several others. Sproul, CS Lewis, Aquinas, Martin Luther (my original religion), the list goes on.

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I was way off base. I never would have imagined someone of your age falling prey to atheism.

Generally it’s the younger generation. Those without father figures who are easily influenced and looking for something to fill that void. The same types that are drawn into Alex Jones. They are looking for that “father figure.”

At your age, the only thing that comes to mind is something catastrophic in one’s life. Perhaps a marriage that failed, or the loss of one’s family in a tragic accident, that resulted in extreme bitterness towards God. Or, possibly a major “lifestyle” change (know what I mean?) and thus, one cannot justify the “lifestyle” change and still beholden to the religious values.

Whatever it was, I wish you well.

BruthaMan on October 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Just to note on the “has she heard before” question. My mother is an RN and I had her watch the video and she pointed out that the woman is reading lips the entire time so she wasn’t necessarily processing the sounds the way it looks like she is, she’s just so good at reading lips that it appears she’s just understanding.

demotheses on October 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I have two older sisters (over 50), and an older brother(49) who where born deaf. If given the opportunity to have either this implant, or another device that would allow them to hear, I honestly don’t know if they would choose it. They (and I) grew up in an era where deaf children were told NOT to use sign language. They were told to use their voice, and to read lips. To this end, even our mother was never very proficient in ASL, but we all learned on our own. I know many deaf people feel that this emerging technology suggests that they can’t be “whole” people until they have the ability to hear. That they are less than perfect humans. And several perceive that as a slight.

If I had the ability to grant my sisters and my brother the ability to hear, I’m pretty sure I would.

What a wonderful moment for this young woman.

juanito on October 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM

And sk, we’re mostly all believers here, what the heck do you want to keep arguing about? Please, do yourself a favor and give it a break.

hawkdriver on October 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM\

Hi

I kept bringing the thread of the Brazilian girl here. When it comes to religion, Hawk, ppl are INCREDIBLY stubborn. I was subscribed to a religious/open faith blog and the debate that turned a lot worse than this (read all above) and I was one of the two Catholics. Can’t impose nor attempt to change anybody’s mind.

I left that blog with a message to the webmaster-I didn’t feel it was right for others to change religion or faith beliefs. That has to come from me, from my heart and with Jesus by my side.

Be safe always,

PPF

ProudPalinFan on October 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Getting in on this late, but for some, who are congenitally deaf, at first it’s a very scary thing. I was with one young lady, who was having one turned on, and she started crying like this… It scared her. It’s not what they expect… it’s not like a hearing aid.

Another friend of mine had a cochlear implant done, but she had heard before. She said at first, everything sounded mechanical, but after about a week, the brain started adjusting and everything started sounding more normal.

CynicalOptimist on October 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

As I said to Bruthaman, the bible wasn’t compiled until several hundred years after these transcipts/stories/whatever were first written down. Think of all the years prior to that that these stories were word of mouth. How many times did they get it wrong (the retelling) and how many times did someone take creative license to add something they wanted into it?

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM

When you base what you believe on incorrect facts, than you can expect your beliefs to be false, right?
Than, look and read what you have written, it is based on incorrect facts…so if you are consistent, than you have to believe your beliefs are in error.

Just some random facts to show how wrong you are:

The first five books of the Old Testament (known as the Pentateuch or Torah) was written by Moses during the forty years that the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness (1450 – 1410 B.C.).

While he was still alive and kick’in…

It is generally agreed that the Book of Mark was the first Gospel written and that it was written between A.D. 50 and 75. Of the four Gospel’s, John’s is considered to have been the last one written, around A.D. 85. The Book of Acts, a historical account of the establishment of the early Christian church, is believed to have been written by one of the Apostle Paul’s associates, around A.D. 62 (near the end of Paul’s imprisonment in Rome).

Well, looks like your “Think of all the years prior to that that these stories were word of mouth. How many times did they get it wrong (the retelling)”, isn’t quit right.
So that makes the foundation of your belief wrong…and that does what to your beliefs…I know, you will ignore facts when it is convenient…
Have a blessed day…

right2bright on October 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM

BruthaMan on October 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I wish I had $5 for every time a believer said that I must have gone through a traumatic experience in my life to cause me to lose my faith, and as I said to hawk the other day in another thread, I’m married with two lovely children… LOL@calling me gay! I came out of A closet, the closet where I hid my unbelief before letting people know that I no longer believe, not the gay closet.

Nobody is ever happy ALL the time but I’m actually happier now without religion in my life than I was when I still had it, and it’s NOT because I can now do whatever I wish or anything so base as that. I’ve never understood why believers think that “no god” in someone’s life necessarily means “anything goes”.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM

right2bright on October 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I said the oldest known copies of the religious texts that we have are from 200bc, NOT that the torah/talmud were written in 200bc.

Way to go misreading what I said and then wasting your time formulating a fallacious argument based on something I didn’t say.

As for the writings of the new testament, the Gospel of Mark seems to be the accepted first writings… but as you said, it wasn’t written until somewhere between 50AD and 70AD. That’s a full 18-37 years after Jesus supposedly died.

THAT is a lot of time for people to make edits and changes in the overall story is it not? Also consider that they didn’t have any previous writings to go from which IMPLIES that a lot of the way it was spread was word of mouth, until someone finally decided,

“Hey! Let’s write this shit down bitches! I’m tired of John and Luke screwing up the telling of it!”

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM

@right2bright

I didn’t say that the writings were from 200bc. I said the oldest copies we have are from that period. The period where they were originally written is pure speculation on anthropologists part. They can ONLY come up with an educated guess as to when exactly they were first written because we don’t HAVE the originals anymore. If they did, THEN they could date them, but they don’t so they can only guess.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

How do you avoid the temptation to steal, rape and kill without some invisible cosmic entity and eternal damnation to keep you in line?

Hate to see what chaos would ensue if all the true believers lost their faith.

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM

it all and bring on this Armageddon that both religions work towards.

So what do YOU believe?

SauerKraut537 on October 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

It is you and your type that will bring on Armageddon. You all subscribe to the beliefs of the whore of Babylon, and will not abide purity and the love of God. You despise beauty and peace and embrace ugliness and carnality.

We see you, and in these comments you are experiencing the type of battle we will engage in. Unfortunately foryou, God wont talk. When that day comes, his action will sweep you and yours off the face of the earth.

csdeven on October 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Lol@Pablo

Where you been man? I’m always arguing against the inanity of religion by myself here.

But yeah, I USED to think I couldn’t live a moral life without god, but I obviously think differently now, and I’m still living a moral life!

I haven’t killed anyone, enslaved anyone, stoned anyone or stolen from anyone either! Amazing isn’t it?!

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Lol@Csdeven

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Was out of town and got caught up today.

I agree that fighting the HA echo chamber can be tiresome.

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM

It’s brutal. Half the time they don’t read what I’ve said and I have to repeat myself over and over again.

It’s like they start reading what I write, they come across the first thing they disagree with and only respond to that and none of my other points.

Arguing with a religious person is like wrestling with a greased pig.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Hate to see what chaos would ensue if all the true believers lost their faith.

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Not to worry. You will never live to see that.

SKYFOX on October 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Ah skyfox,

But people are leaving their religions in droves. The non religious in America are the fastest growing segment in our society. It’s only a matter of time my friend. It’s only a matter of time.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM

demotheses on October 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I’d like to back this statement up. I am also a very very skilled lip reader which helps me understand what is being said. I do it so well that people are shocked to find out I have a hearing loss.

I’m happy that his woman got her ability to hear improved. Way to go.

Conservative Samizdat on October 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Thanks conservative samizdat for your website.

I enjoyed your letter to Red State.

I THINK I’m with you in thinking that Romney needs to be our nominee (I didn’t distort your position did I? You like him as the nominee?) and I agree with you that people often distort his record because he isn’t conservative enough for them.

I’m hoping he’s our man when it comes to the election in 2011-2012.

Romney would be a great president and we need someone in the middle again. I’m exhausted with the hard left and hard right in America. They’re screwing this place up almost beyond repair.

So, a chess player huh? I play in the ICC (chessclub.com) under this same name (SauerKraut537) if you want to play sometime.

ICC is great, you can buy a membership and get ranked and play in tournaments and such…

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Yep, and how many of the “faithful” are the twice a year church types.

IE, they know it’s BS, but they have to “keep up appearances”.

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM

In my final years I was the twice a year type, maybe a few other times we would go as a family because of some other reason, etc but go look at the church pews when it’s not a major holiday, etc and you’ll see empty pews for the most part.

It’s lost its relevance, religion has, and once people begin to see that morality and religion are two distinct things, AND separable? Then they start to “get it”.

I hope people wake up soon before we blow ourselves up in the name of the Lord.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You’ve said this before. What would you know about it? Do you have some method of how many times people go to church? Do you go to one and keep track. I forget, is it Christians sticking their noses in other people’s business or you atheists?

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I agree that fighting the HA echo chamber can be tiresome.

Pablo Honey on October 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Maybe if you were better at it?

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM

hawk,
You like to claim that anyone who argues against you loses and that they just aren’t good at it (debating). You say it so much, I wonder if you’re just saying it to build up your opinion of yourself. In fact, I bet that’s EXACTLY why you do it.
;-)

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM

It’s like you think that if you can just keep saying it that it makes it true.

LOL!

Again I ask, who stated the following?

“If you tell a lie big enough and repeat it often enough, people will eventually come to believe it.”

Just keep telling yourself that you won, and in your mind you did… Dunning Kruger effect man.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

;-)

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Well, I never had to beg anyone to help me with a debate.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

PS, I think Pablo Honey is female.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Oh, I forgot …

;-)

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM

You haven’t proved, a single point. I certainly didn’t lose anything.

You might want to ask yourself if the Dunning Kruger effect, “man”, would be more appropriately applied to your concept of reality.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Not really, because I know my limits and I know I’ve “lost” points in our debate… Well, not really lost but you’ve made some points that I can agree with. You on the other hand deny that I’ve proved a single point, which is patently false and self deluding. NOBODY ever wins a debate hawk, and nobody is 100% correct like you assume you are, thus the dunning kruger aspect to your reality.

You’re not more right, you’re just more “confident” in your own rightness.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM

And I wasn’t REALLY asking for help from Pablo Honey, but I welcome other people helping me to counter overly religious buffoonery here on HA.

I didn’t know she was a she though… Good to know.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Oh, and you’re ignorant of how ignorant you are… ;-) zing!

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM

You’re not more right, you’re just more “confident” in your own rightness.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM

There is some truth there.

Oh, and you’re ignorant of how ignorant you are… ;-) zing!

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM

More opinion. zing!

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 9:08 PM

You’re not more right, you’re just more “confident” in your own rightness.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM

There is some truth there.

In that you don’t seem confident in your rightness.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM

One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision
– Bertrand Russell

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM

“People who spend the majority of their time offering the wisdom of other people usually have little to offer of their own.”

- J. Hawkdriver III

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM

LOL@hawk!

Offering famous quotes is a poetic way of saying something… Since you’re so keen on trying to interpret the words of others instead of hearing what they actually say, I thought maybe you’d enjoy that one.

Thought maybe you’d listen to someone else’s opinion since mine is ALWAYS wrong. ;-)

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Oh, and offering it up is just a way to say something that one offering it up might wish to say, but since it’s been said much better by others greater than you or I… Well, I know you got it.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Come on. You know it was funny.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Waht did you think of this hearing implant this young lady got? One of the commenters posted a link to where you can hear what they sound like. Appears as though it would take a little training/practice to understand even using it. Very very mechanical sounding.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I think advances in science like this will alleviate a lot of human frailties.

Ever heard of the Skin Gun?

Regenerative medicine?

Science saved my soul

As Bishop Lancelot Andrewes once said, “The nearer the church, the further from god” ;-)

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

But I love it! That she gets to hear. Limbaugh got something like this I think.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM

and it was kinda funny… ;-)

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Dude, take a break from your crusade. I was trying to have a real discussion with you. Did you check out the link to the actual sounds the implants make?

I’m really kind of hoping for two advancments. One that doctors will be able to grow a kidney from a person’s own tissue for my kid. And for all of us old folks, more advances in hearing restoration. I am close to needing some type of device myself. Our new aircraft lets me adjust radios to my needs without effecting the volume for my co-pilots, which helps. But I still strain some days to hear ATC.

I remember the condition you discussed about yourself. You you have some therapy or medicine that you use? Is it helpful?

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

But I love it! That she gets to hear. Limbaugh got something like this I think.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Didn’t see these. Wouldn’t bet the paycheck on it, but what she got is what Limbaugh endorses.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Myotonic muscular dystrophy is a type of muscular dystrophy wherein myotonia is the cardinal symptom. Myotonia is a sustained involuntary contraction of a group of muscles, which means there is an inability to relax muscles voluntarily. I have a very mild form of it that I inherited from mom. Not much to be done with it medically speaking right now although maybe someday they can fix the gene.

Imagine looking at your hand, and smashing it in your face! Kidding, imagine your hand and then you go to close your hand super fast, and reopen it just as fast going back and forth, open to closed. About 2 seconds into doing that my muscles lock up.

The muscles just seize and then eventually start letting go. After that initial hit, it’s gone, provided I stay active. If I stop moving, the next time I start moving it can happen again.

In High School while playing football, it happened a lot where I’d be running the 40 yard dash and about 5-8 yards into the run my leg muscles would lock up and I’d injure my hip extensor, or fall flat on my face. *smirk*

I personally never got diagnosed with it, but my mother and sister were and I have the same symptoms they do.

In regards to growing tissues and organs. The same “pixie dust” in the regenerative medicine video I linked to has been used to heal heart muscle damaged by attacks. They’re in the process of growing a heart with it, and they’ve reconstructed muscle growth in a soldier whose quadricep was blown off by an IED.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Kidneys and bones and other organs are not far behind.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

extracellular matrix they call it.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

You see, after you’re born, your cells go into preserve mode. When you’re injured, your skin scars, your bones mend, etc. Putting the extracellular matrix onto an open wound stimulates the bodies own stem cells into believing they need to regrow a limb, organ, whatever instead of scarring.

That’s why the hobby shop guys finger grew back, because he sprinkled the pixie dust onto the wound and tricked the body into thinking it needed to grow/regrow the limb instead of scarring and closing the wound as fast as possible.

In Mexico there is a salamander, can’t remember it’s name right now but something like axlotle or something. Scientists can cut off the arms and tails and within weeks the salamander has regrown the entire limb as if it never was gone. They aren’t stumps for legs, they are completely regrown legs with digits for fingers.

It won’t be long before we’ll be able to stave off death for longer and longer periods. They’ve reversed aging in mice in the labs and mice that normally live only a few years, live twice as long, and when they go through the genetic therapy… their bodies revert to where they appear to be very young muscular mice. In other words, the scientists let nature take its course, and when the mice reach their golden years they apply the process and the mice regenerate muscle and act young again and live for several more years.

I can’t find the exact article right now but I recall reading it somewhere.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Kidneys and bones and other organs are not far behind.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Bones are pretty much grown at will, no? I’ve been having a bad part of my jaw grafted in preparation for an implant and for a crown. Two visits actually in a dentist’s chair has pretty much reversed the damage done by a fly by night dentist my Step-Father had to take me to as a kid. (Funny, it can be a grown substance or cadaver tissue, but the doctor won’t say which. I know they lengthen bones in little people and have reconstructed majot bone damage to soldiers I know personnally. Brace and heal and adjust one of my fellow aviator calls it. He was just about smashed to bits in an Apache crash.

I’m sorry to hear that you don’t have some therapy to ease your ails. I do just get on with some of my complaints, but dealing with something neurological seems much more the challenge.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM

It’s not debilitating and only affects me when I need fast twitch muscle movement, thus why I wouldn’t have been seen as a candidate for what I would have preferred to do had I been in the military, a front line soldier, tip of the spear.

Sure, I could have been a desk clerk or something, but that wasn’t my idea of being in the military. Not to take away from logistical and support roles in the military mind you! It’s just not what I envisioned myself as doing when/if I ever went into the military. I’d want to be blowing some shit up and doing something active!

It was bad enough that though that I could see myself failing boot camp for, ie falling on my face like I did doing 40 yard dashes.

Don’t get all excited or nothing but can you imagine a Drill Sargent chewing me up one side and down the other for continuously having muscle lock ups? ;-)

Bones will not grow back once you reach a certain age, but it appears as if this pixie dust might do the trick provided doctors can manipulate cells well enough.

TED Talks: Anthony Atala on growing organs.

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Really glad it’s not dibilitating. A fellow instructor’s wife has MS and a friend of Mrs. Sheephawk has MS. All I can say is, good days and bad.

I honestly enjoyed it. I have lesson plans to do for my students. Take care. You have the last word this time.

;-)

hawkdriver on October 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM

g’night

SauerKraut537 on October 3, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Cool.

Alxpeace on ebay is a thief and a liar. Do not do business with alxpeace. You will regret it. Ebay and paypal will rip you off. This is guaranteed. Their protection plan is worthless. Please repost this everywhere.

woodNfish on October 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I couldn’t resist hawk!

I’m sure this was posted by Allahpundit, but it’s funny! From HotAir headlines… ;-)

Did Jesus die for Klingons too?

SauerKraut537 on October 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM