Van Jones: It’s time for an “American Autumn” in the spirit of the Arab Spring

posted at 8:57 pm on September 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

Part umpteen in a continuing series on Jones’s quixotic dream “to build a progressive counterbalance to the tea party.” Honestly, I find it almost charming that he thinks selling his program as a U.S. version of the Arab Spring will win the public over to his cause. I haven’t seen an American poll on that subject in a good long while, but last I checked, people here were decidedly lukewarm about the protests in the Middle East. And that was before the most recent unrest in Greece, the August riots in London, and the spectacle of Egyptian populism degenerating into an assault on the Israeli embassy in Cairo. The grievances are distinct in each of those cases but the broader lesson that demonstrations of mass popular discontent have tended to turn out rather badly lately abides. And in case that lesson hasn’t been fully digested yet, wait until the heroes of the revolution in Egypt elect a much more radical regime than the one they just toppled. My hunch is that if Jones ever did organize a Tahrir-sized crowd for sustained protests, it’d end up operating as a de facto GOP campaign commercial. Then again, maybe electoral politics is beside the point here. The left’s disappointed in Obama, partly because he isn’t the progressive lion they hoped he’d be and partly because he’s on track to lead the party to a total wipe-out next year. Somehow the Great Liberal Realignment of 2008 has led to this, and this. They tried fashioning the permanent Democratic majority from the top-down by electing O, now they’re going to try it from the bottom-up with the “American Autumn” or whatever. Gotta stay relevant somehow, no?

Anyway, that’s one highlight from a predictably hard-hitting interview with Lawrence O’Donnell. The other highlight: Jones casually dismissing “this phony made-up deficit stuff” that Republicans are always yammering about. That’s part of his ongoing attempt to convince a population that’s $14 trillion in debt that the main thing standing between them and prosperity is their unwillingness to turn rich people upside down and shake the quarters from their pockets. Who knows? Maybe the American Autumn will be a huge success and our new Democratic congressional majority will reinstate the Clinton tax rates and pass Medicare for all, like real progressive warriors want. Then we’ll really be rich.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

He’s such a handsome young man…too bad he’s a nincompoop.

scalleywag on October 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I can just hear the lefties now:

“Tax us again, tax us again, HIGHER…HIGHER!!!”

“Turn off the lights, turn off the lights…HAMPSTER POWER!!!”

“Gimmie a job…but don’t make me work…EVIL CORPORATION”

landlines on October 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM

We can laugh all we want at Van Jones’s idiocy, but he is one dangerous dude. Do not underestimate him.

onlineanalyst on October 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I don’t underestimate him. He wants genocide.
Will the AA community silence him before its too late?

orbitalair on October 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Blah blah blah blah.

It’s time for Van Jones to fukk off.

hillbillyjim on October 2, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Notice the only station out there that seems to give this bozo all the air time he just craves is MSNBC?

pilamaye on October 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Actress, comedienne and now author Roseanne Barr shares her solution for dealing with the rich and how the banks could repay the money the U.S. government bailed them out with in 2008.

“Part of my platform is, of course, the guilty must be punished and that we no longer let our children see their guilty leaders getting away with murder. Because it teaches children, you know, that they don’t have to have any morals as long as they have guns and are bullies and I don’t think that’s a good message,” Barr told Russia Today (RT).

“I do say that I am in favor of the return of the guillotine and that is for the worst of the worst of the guilty.

“I first would allow the guilty bankers to pay, you know, the ability to pay back anything over $100 million [of] personal wealth because I believe in a maximum wage of $100 million. And if they are unable to live on that amount of that amount then they should, you know, go to the reeducation camps and if that doesn’t help, then being beheaded,” Barr said with a straight face.

No word yet on whether she refers to her plan as American Autumn.

Akzed on October 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

“I, first, would allow the guilty bankers to pay back anything over $100 million (in) personal wealth, because I believe in the maximum wealth of $100 million. If they’re unable to live on that amount, they should go to re-education camps. And if that doesn’t work, they should be beheaded, R. Barr.”

[Second attempt to post this, sorry if it shows up twice...]

Akzed on October 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

So let me see if I get the plan here.

Step 1: Massive liberal sponsored rioting and violence in the streets.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Amazing Liberal gains in elections from the voting populace.

Does step 2 involve magic?
Killing anyone not a party to the liberal dream?
What?

Or am I mistaken and there isn’t an intermediate step?

Is the dream for most American families to have riots and violence on a daily basis, and only now will one of the political parties give them the violence they so dearly have hoped for?

gekkobear on October 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM

So let me see if I get the plan here.

Step 1: Massive liberal sponsored rioting and violence in the streets.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Amazing Liberal gains in elections from the voting populace.

Step 2: People demand order be restored.

(That really is Step 2—Van Jones really is a revolutionary Communist)

Axe on October 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM

If the elections go the wrong way in 2012 this country is finished.

adamsmith on October 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Glenn Beck predicted this move by Van Jones 2 1/2 years ago.

And I think the term that Van Jones means is “American fall” not “American autumn.”

disa on October 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM