Quotes of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on September 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

“A recent Gallup survey shows that, among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, Herman Cain has the highest net favorability rating of anyone in the current GOP presidential field. Cain’s net favorability rating among those who are familiar with him is +62 points (77 percent hold a favorable opinion of him, while 15 percent hold an unfavorable opinion). Rick Perry is 2nd, with a +54 net favorability rating among those who are familiar with him (71 percent favorable, 17 percent unfavorable). Most of the 2-week survey, however, was conducted before the most recent GOP debate (in which Perry struggled) and before the subsequent Florida straw poll (won by Cain) — so the gap between Cain and Perry has likely widened…

“Cain also ranks first among those who feel “strongly” (either way), as 27 percent have a ‘strongly favorable’ opinion of him, while only 1 percent hold a ‘strongly unfavorable’ opinion.”

***

“Does a résumé like Herman Cain’s add up to an American presidency? I used to think not. But after watching the American Idol system we’ve fallen into for discovering a president—with opinion polls, tongue slips and media caprice deciding front-runners and even presidents—I’m rewriting my presidential-selection software…

“The GOP nominee is running against the incumbent president. Unlike the incumbent, Herman Cain has at least twice identified the causes of a large failing enterprise, designed goals, achieved them, and by all accounts inspired the people he was supposed to lead. Not least, Mr. Cain’s life experience suggests that, unlike the incumbent, he will adjust his ideas to reality.

“Herman Cain is a credible candidate. Whether he deserves to be president is something voters will decide. But he deserves a serious look.”

***

“But money, as it were, is a problem: While Romney and Perry have a ton of it, Cain lacks the fundraising network of his better-known rivals. And that’s not the only issue. Cain is competing with Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum for social conservatives, and that means he needs to do respectably in Iowa, where they make up a major chunk of the GOP electorate. But Cain has little organization in the state – as evidenced by his fifth place finish in the Iowa straw poll – and some his staff in the state quit because they didn’t think the campaign was putting in a serious effort.

“A Cain campaign official acknowledged to CBS News that the candidate is unlikely to win Iowa. But the campaign hopes to survive the state – a third-place finish would be enough, though Cain has claimed he’d be ‘ecstatic’ with fifth-place – and then hold on until South Carolina.

It’s a state Cain’s campaign believes the candidate can win — and thus eventually get to the White House. Cain hails from nearby Georgia, where he hosted a radio show that could be heard across the border; the state is also 28 percent African-American and highly religious, which makes it demographically appealing for Cain, a Baptist minister. And the open primary means Democrats and independents who support Cain can cast ballots.”

***

“The absence of GOP competition for the black vote has allowed the left wing to demagogue the Republican party in the most negative of terms within the black community, without much of a GOP response. Take for instance that comment from Melissa Harris-Perry that I discussed Wednesday, about how the Republican party is not the ‘party of civil rights.’ It is asserted far and wide that the GOP represents little more than the crudest, most reflexive form of Goldwaterism. It’s just not true, so where is the Republican pushback? If Democrats tried to slander the GOP among, say, Catholic voters, you’d see the Republican establishment move heaven and earth to counter such a scurrilous charge. But because the black vote is not up for grabs, this kind of blatant falsehood ends up going unchallenged…

“Cain is right – there is potential for Republicans among African Americans, at least in theory. White conservatives overwhelmingly vote Republican, but black conservatives do not. According to the American National Elections Study, John Kerry won about 90 percent of the black conservative vote. White moderates usually split their votes between the two parties, according to the study, but black moderates do not. Again, Kerry won better than 90 percent. By granting left wing demagogues complete freedom to mischaracterize conservative Republicanism to the black community, the party consistently loses black conservatives and moderates who might otherwise consider the GOP. This, in turn, helps prevent the big policy breakthroughs the GOP hasn’t seen for a generation…

“Herman Cain would not be able to change any of this overnight. And maybe not at all — it would take a great deal of political capital, a deft touch, and a little bit of luck. But the point is this: a Republican candidate for national office, who took competing for the black vote seriously, might help revive Republicanism in the black community. The process could be similar to the kind of top-down advancement the GOP enjoyed in the South after World War II — when Dwight Eisenhower, the Texas-born national hero who beat the Nazis, convinced Dixie to give the Republican party a second look. If Herman Cain could do that for the GOP with African Americans, there would be a real potential not only for the party to do better nationwide, but for African Americans to leverage their voting strength more effectively.”

***

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Herman is talking about the “Herb” issue and says he doesn’t think she’s running.

Oh No!

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM

I wish all would stop calling him “Herb”. He is not Hoover. He s/b called Herman Cain or Mr. Cain. It’s enough that the left will call him all sorts of bad things. His name should not be mutilated.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Did he call her “Sally Palin”?

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:27 AM

*kneeslapper*

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

You too? I was laid off in early 2008 and found a job at another firm on the same day. I stayed with them until the Fall of 2009. They were struggling and could not pay me regularly. I was commuting 150 miles round trip each day and could not continue the sacrifice. Drew unemployment, sadly, for the maximum and then got my current job. It is all so surreal.

carbon_footprint on October 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

We’ve been through it too. Our income down about 30% in past few years.. When we moved to Alabama it took 15 minutes for hubby to find a job, firm went belly up and he was out of work for 30 days.., he lost his last job(he was accused of being a racist) and was out of work for 3 months, the newest job pays less, is a longer commute and is contract work (no benefits/holiday pay etc.)..

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Did he call her “Sally Palin”?

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:27 AM

No, but Leno asked him about all the candidates, Herman said Mitt had nice hair and Perry was a good Governor, Gingrich, brilliant, Santorum, stressed and Bachmann pretty. I think he said Ron Paul was grumpy LOL.

It was a good interview, he handled it very well.

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM

And don’t forget “oreo”; just the other day West and Cain were called that by CBC attendees.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM

If I were a racist I might say Cain appears to have a shallow, limited, and naive understanding of foreign affairs. And he continues to say silly things, like he won’t have any Muslims in his cabinet, or the “right of return” of the Palestinians to Israel is no big deal. And that he hasn’t shown a grasp of even a single area of policy, whether it’s foreign or domestic.

Paul-Cincy on September 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Really? Like any of the Muslim advisors to the past two admins have been of any use to America? If so name them. If not screw them. The onus is on them to prove their loyalty to nation and constitution and to forsake Shari’a as the source law for this nation.

AH_C on October 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Tell that to “Sally”.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Just saw Herman on Leno. He did great. I know this is too much to hope for. I am not getting my hopes up high.

I didn’t think Cain had a chance, so I was for Perry first, then Cain second. But if Cain did have a chance, then Perry would be my second. I haven’t written Perry off yet. Perry is followed by Santorum and Gingrich, in my mind.

The problem for Cain is not can he get people who hear him and understand his message to vote for him. The problem is that money drives elections. Romney and Perry can raise money. Can Cain raise enough, even if it is less than them? That is what we will see in the coming months. Can Cain raise enough and do enough to stay towards the top by the time primaries start.

We shall see.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Tell that to “Sally”.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I don’t think she’d make as big a deal of it as the thin-skinned anti-Palin ‘bots.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

LOL, a stalwart.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I liked Cain’s answer to “flavor of the week.”

He said there is ice milk and there is chocolate walnut. He is chocolate walnut, he has “substance.” Love it.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM

She’d cry “sexism” like she always does; maybe even “Neanderthals”.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I liked Cain’s answer to “flavor of the week.”

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Hmm, I hope he wasn’t referring to the color of his skin with that. I get really sick of blacks saying that they are “chocolate” and that whites are “boring vanilla”.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I am a stalwart for the best conservative who can beat Obama (and Romney for the nomination.)

There is no need this early to settle on one person. We have some good candidates. None are perfect. But Cain or Perry (and some of the others too) would make great Presidents. We need to pick which one would be the best candidate. Because you can’t be a good President unless you are first a good candidate. This is reality. This isn’t a game where we pick our guy and never change, no matter what. Too early.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Riiight, because she wants to back someone who is conservative and can actually win? Suuuure.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Newt!? Contract with America 2.0! Give me an f’ing break, like he did so well the first go around.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…you know the rest. Newt is unelectable.

PakviRoti on October 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Any sane person knows you’re right, Elisa. But Palinbots think that because they are so blindly loyal, everyone else is “wobbly”.

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Chocolate has more substance than vanilla. And nuts add substance. The idea is substance. lol Why would anyone want to be vanilla when you could be chocolate (black or white.) Plus, wouldn’t those optics look stupid if Cain called himself vanilla?

OK, I think that is all the explanation required as we dissect every statement made by these candidates. lol

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM

He said “black walnut”.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:41 AM

thanks, my friend. Always a pleasure reading your posts. Good night.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Leno asked the question about the flub made by Palin and he gave the same answer as he did yesterday about his enemies calling Herm or something like that.

He said he didn’t think she was running too.

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

There’s white chocolate too. And redheads could go with strawberry ice cream :p

El_Terrible on October 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Cain on Leno, full interview

commodore on October 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM

He said “black walnut”.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I played it back and you’re right. I think was threw me off was he said he was “Haggen-Dazs Black Walnut.” When my kids were little, my grandmother always kept Haggen-Dazs Chocolate ice cream in her freezer for them. So I just assumed it was chocolate. I didn’t know Black Walnut was a kind of rich ice cream like Butter Pecan.

Sorry folks.

But SUBSTANCE is still his message as far as flavor of the week. Good answer by Cain.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

He never said vanilla or choclate.. He said there is ice milk (very low standard ice cream yukkier than frozen yougurt) then there is Hagan Daaz Black Walnut ice cream (Hagan Daaz is very high in butterfat so it is rich and delicious. He thinks of himself as Hagan Daaz Black Walnut. Better.

BTW black walnuts are called “black” because the husk on the walnut is black when it is ripe. Black walnuts are richer and have a stronger nut taste than other varities of walnuts.

I don’t he was making a “color” reference more than he was making a I am better, I am top shelf reference.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:56 AM

It’s one o’clock in the morning and now I want chocolate ice cream. This is bad. lol

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:41 AM

And so you’re groupies for Perry or Cain? LOL

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM

My God, this coming from one of the blindest PerryKrishnas around. That’s good.

Leno asked the question about the flub made by Palin

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 12:47 AM

To be honest though, we might be more concerned about Cain’s flub on the right of return.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM

There’s white chocolate too. And redheads could go with strawberry ice cream :p

El_Terrible on October 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I’m a red head. I go with Vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge swirls, my favorite. Put on some more hot fudge sauce, colored shots, whip cream and a maraschino cherry or two and mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cain did good on Leno, he is very likable, and he seemed prepared for the question Leno asked about his comment regarding Muslims in his cabinet. The problem is that I believe Leno took Cain out of context, I thought Cain originally said he would be concerned about putting Muslims in his cabinet and not that he wouldn’t allow any? His answer kind of made no sense with the way Leno worded the question about not allowing any Muslims in the cabinet and Cain said he was thinking jihadist instead of Muslim, why would anyone ask if he would put a jihadist in the cabinet? That might come back to bite to him.

Daemonocracy on October 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:56 AM

I have black walnut trees on my property in Kentucky. The hardest darn nut to crack in the world, but worth it if you’re patient. I have broken a few windows running over them with the riding mower.

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

There is no need this early to settle on one person.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

So you’re a stalwart Gallup supporter. Gotcha.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

@ Elisa

We shall see.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Cain is MORE qualified they any one up there now. Einstien said that repeating the same behavior and expecting differing results is a sign of insanity. We have constantly elected career politicians for decades. Look at the mess we have now. So doing so again would be INSANE. Cain is a man of the people. We need to get his BUTT up there. To me he is Ronald Reagan NOIR and he does away with the race card that obama and the main stream propaganda machine will use if the reps run a white man. I dont care about the color of his skin. All I know is its like a 2 fur deal at GodFathers pizza, We get brains, performance and some one who knows how to balance a friggen check book. And the cherry on top is the color of his skin.
so stop being a naysayer and jump in with us. The water is fine. Cain can and should win.
A quote from his book, note the second paragraph.

My guest lists for state dinners and other important occasions will be light on A list celebrities and heavy on normal Americans who work each day to restore our nation to greatness. And unlike the practice of certain previous administrations, there will be no “paying” guests staying in the Lincoln Bedroom.

Once each month I plan to invite small groups of average citizens to join me for dinner and conversation. As someone who will have to spend most of my working hours in Washington, these events will make it possible for me to take the nation’s pulse on the pressing issues, as well as to stay connected to the people.

That is who Cain is. A man of the people !
sorry to go so long on this but I love this guy!

ColdWarrior57 on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

IMO I would want the CIC to think Jihadist first, Muslim second.. Just sayin’

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Y’all do know who Herb Cain was, right? I’m pretty sure he was syndicated.

John the Libertarian on October 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Oh, and Cain had a great answer with the Black Walnut ice cream = substance and explains his 999 plan very well. I’m still not a fan of the plan with that national sales tax alongside an income tax, but at least in this casual format he was able to explain it well.

Daemonocracy on October 1, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Black walnuts are my favorite too… once you’ve had them the rest of the walnuts “pale” in comparison.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Y’all do know who Herb Cain was, right? I’m pretty sure he was syndicated.

John the Libertarian on October 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

He wrote for a big paper.. San Francisco or Chicago.. I remember reading those columns 20 years ago or so.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM

IMO I would want the CIC to think Jihadist first, Muslim second.. Just sayin’

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM

That’s fine, but he should have corrected Leno before he went into the jihadist explanation. I don’t think Cain actually said he wouldn’t allow any Muslims in the cabinet, just that he would be uncomfortable. The explanation works much better for what he actually said as opposed to what Leno said he said.

Daemonocracy on October 1, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Daemonocracy on October 1, 2011 at 1:18 AM

I think he handled it fine.. he admitted that he flubbed, he clarified his position, and he reminded us of a potential threat. Kinda hard to do a long back and forth in a short ammount of time.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM

That is who Cain is. A man of the people !
sorry to go so long on this but I love this guy!

ColdWarrior57 on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

No apologies necessary. I love him too. I hope the rest of the primary voters love him (and donate to his campaign.)

Becaise Cain would mop up the floor with Obama in the general and Cain would make an excellent President.

Thanks for the link. I hadn’t heard that about Cain. The man gets better and better the more you learn about him.

A man of substance, maturity, intellect, humor, grace, class, heart, guts and he is capable and effective.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

ColdWarrior57 on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Thanks for the link. Nice!

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Herman Cain even getting some attention on tabloid/Michael Jackson Trial Central TMZ.

Pizza, Politics, Cain at Airport Video

carbon_footprint on October 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Can we replace obama with him?

Lanceman on October 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM

San Francisco or Chicago.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Yep. San Francisco Chronicle, back in the days when it still commanded some respect. He was famous for constant use of the ellipses…

John the Libertarian on October 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I watched the Judge interview and her response didn’t really make sense. Something about how the media had made Herb the flava of the week, but then Herb was soaring because he was connecting with people.

MeatHeadinCA on October 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Let’s take another look at Palin’s original comment about Cain in the Greta interview on Tuesday:

“Take Herb Cain. Look at why he is doing so well right now. He is, I guess you could say with all due respect, the flavor of the week because he is the one up there who doesn’t look like he part of the permanent political class. Herb Cain, he came from a working class family. He’s had to make it on his own all these years. We respect that. That has an automatic connection with the electorate where we say ‘We can relate to him. He knows the problems, the issues that we face every day and he is determined to do something about it.’ He’s not elite. He doesn’t seem to allow us to be disenchanted with what he is proposing, because what he proposes in terms of solutions, Greta, for our economy are based on common sense and time tested truths and common sense and true economic principles that will work. Herb Cain is a good example of a connection with the voters and why his message is resonating with the people”

Wow, she really threw him under the bus! /

In all seriousness, other than screwing up his name (which there is no excuse for) it seemed like high praise to me.

Kataklysmic on October 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Just watched Cain on Leno. I thought he did great.

carbon_footprint on October 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Thanks for the info!

Now I want to buy some… high in butterfat sounds yummy, lol. Is it similar to butterpecan? That’s one of my favorite flavors. That Herman makes me want pizza and now ice-cream, too!

Knucklehead on October 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Since he is a cancer survivor and in the political field, no wonder he likens himself to a tough nut!

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Wow, she really threw him under the bus! /

Kataklysmic on October 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I agree.

Someone said maybe she had the San Francisco Herb Caen in her mind.

She wasn’t putting him down. I don’t think she was belittling him as “flavor of the week.” I think she feels they are on the same team. So I didn’t understand the “Herb.” She couldn’t possibly not really know his name.

Just a mistake on her part. No harm done.

She is coming around, I think. It must be very hard for her. She has paid a very high price over the last few years and things aren’t going like she thought they would. God bless her.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Night everyone. God bless.

Asian Girl, pizza and ice cream. Doesn’t get better than that.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM

* Aslans girl.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Y’all do know who Herb Cain was, right? I’m pretty sure he was syndicated.

John the Libertarian on October 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Herb Caen wrote a column for the San Francisco Chronicle from the late 30′s until his death in 1997. A very long run. One of his schticks was to separate his snippets of thought with ellipsis…he called it “three dot journalism”. I have one of his books, Baghdad by the Bay.

The equivalent “local legend” columnist in Chicago (writing for the Sun, I believe), was Mike Royko. No three dot journalism, but still pretty entertaining.

HTL on October 1, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Will get to see Herman live and in person later today….looking forward to what he’ll say…

He’s not my first choice, but hes been sounding good

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:03 AM

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Good to see you..:)

PS..Dire Straits was here..and it was late!..:)

Dire Straits on October 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Hey DS :)

Couldn’t sleep, wanted to see what the HA crew was up to

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:16 AM

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:16 AM

I hear you..It is pretty quite this at this time..:)

Dire Straits on October 1, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Gotcha…..have a great weekend, ya hear:)

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:25 AM

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Same to you!..I will see you around HA this weekend!.:)

Dire Straits on October 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM

You got it :)

cmsinaz on October 1, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Rick Perry says Americans aren’t soft, what we have is a soft president

I also liked him saying that Mitt has come out with several positions on the same issue and that he’s like “that great movie star, Flipper”; lol!

Aslans Girl on October 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Herman Cain studied mathematics and physics.

He worked on naval ballistics as a contractor for years after college.

No one talks about this.

blatantblue on October 1, 2011 at 6:06 AM

He knows more about mathematical feasibility than anyone else right now.

Herman Cain is a problem solver.

Cavuto aired a clip from 17 years ago when Herman Cain asked Bill Clinton a question on healthcare. He was already discussing the financial pitfalls of the whole idea back then.

Cain Me!

blatantblue on October 1, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Herman Cain studied mathematics and physics.

He worked on naval ballistics as a contractor for years after college.

No one talks about this.

blatantblue on October 1, 2011 at 6:06 AM

that would upend their “pizza guy” meme.

ted c on October 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM

I love the insinuation that Cain won’t be able to raise money in the general like Perry or Romney…

What if – and this is just a hypothetical – what if there were actually two people on a presidential campaign ticket, and what if the Vice President had a huge fundraising base that he added to the President’s strong support on principles.

But… that would never happen.

Poor hypotheticals with no basis in reality.

BKennedy on October 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM

I like Herman Cain. He is a good man.

However, I am not sure he is really up to this job. I realize that maybe none of these candidates are. I am not arguing that, but one thing a President needs to know about is foreign policy and I am not sure Cain really has that kind of background. When he was on Chris Wallace and it became apparent that he did not know what right of return was, I wondered how that could be. I know what right of return is and I am not running for President. It just made me wonder what else he did not know.

I also have my doubts that his 9-9-9 plan will ever get past Congress and while I supported Bush’s private account plan for social security, I honestly don’t think the American people will support such a plan after the meltdown..they were not too keen on it before. Reform for social security? Yes, But radical changes to the system? Probably not.

So, yes I like Cain and if he got the nomination I would most certainly vote for him, but I am not sure that he can actually push this through for a win. But what the hell, he has every right to try.

Terrye on October 1, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Right of Return is, again, a boutique issue. Illegal Immigration directly affects America, yet people are still gung-ho for Perry despite his initial reaction to the issue is to call the base heartless. Which he never really walked back, at all.

Oh, but we have to settle for Perry/Romney because we like to make compromises or something.

If you are saying, “I like Herman Cain, but (vacuous multitude of boutique issues or “electability” grumbling)”

Remember that applies to the two so-called frontrunners, except on huge, critical issues:

“I like Romney, but Romneycare.”

“I like Rick Perry, but he thinks I’m a heartless nativist, just like George W. Bush.”

BKennedy on October 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM

He is good for the election, but this man has no business being president.

tomas on October 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Of course./

Seriously you’re becoming hilarious.

He is good for the election, but this man has no business being president.

tomas on October 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Maybe not but why?

CW on October 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM

He is good for the election, but this man has no business being president.

tomas on October 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Herman Cain has forgotten more about being an executive than the rest of the candidates combined have ever known.

Exactly why does he have no business being president? If you aren’t going to provide anything of substance, perhaps you should just stay in your lair.

BKennedy on October 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM

He is good for the election, but this man has no business being president.

tomas on October 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Finally. Obama voters admit the truth about Obama.

How refreshing.

Key West Reader on October 1, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Someone said maybe she had the San Francisco Herb Caen in her mind.

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM

That’s impossible… Sarah Palin doesn’t read newspapers, Kstie Couric says so.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Since that gaffe, he has 1. admitted it was a serious flub, 2. taken steps to learn more. 3. joked about it w/Chris Wallace in a subsequent interview and 4. visited Israel.

His principle was always right on…to be a friend with Israel it was just a stupid moment..Everyone has them.. I think how he handled it afterwards says alot about him as well..

Even with his gaffes to date, there isn’t enough material for a daily review ala OOTD.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Elisa on October 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Ditto that. The Tonight Show crowd certainly seemed to respond positively to him – didn’t think an L.A. audience would give a conservative like him such a warm reception. If he can get an L.A. audience to like him, that certainly bodes well for most of the remainder of the United States. (I say “most” because obviously San Fran, Seattle, and Vermont are lost in space.)

A true conservative is striking a chord nationwide – can you feel it? Guys, I have a conservative fee-vah, and the only cure is more Herman!

OneVision on October 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Cain is a good, solid conservative and a successful, intelligent and street smart man. He could and would learn quickly anything he doesn’t now know about foreign policy. I would definitely take a chance on him for president. He couldn’t possibly do worse than that nuanced Harvard genius we have now.

SurferDoc on October 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Come on. If Palin had done something like that we’d STILL be hearing about it as evidence of her stupidity. heck, she can say “Herm” and the PDS orthodoxy instantly becomes “Herb”.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Of course./

Seriously you’re becoming hilarious.

CW on October 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Seriously, you’re becoming a bore. Nutter. Loser. Pathetic. Hilarious. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! LOL… Save yourself some typing.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

You got that right.

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

ddrintn on October 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

The right never gets a “pass”… but the left…. well they get to Stand up for Chuck.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM

BKennedy on October 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Ever heard of Mitt Romney? I heard he was a bit of a business man too.

As for why Cain has no business being POTUS, just look at his proposals. The man has no idea about what the job entails. This nation is not going to amend its Constitution to enable a Nein-Nein-Nein plan. And while he’s working on that amendment thing, what do we do in the mean time? What’s plan B just in case he doesn’t pull it off? What will keep it from becoming a 10-10-10 or worse along the way? I don’t care how many “neins” he wants, it won’t happen. What’s more, adding a national sales tax on top of an income tax is a recipe for ruin.

All that is on top of his total ignorance of foreign policy (right of return was a symptom of a terminal disease). His remarks about American Muslims were patently offensive. He is running to be their president too.

The man has his virtues and talents, but he is certainly not POTUS material.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM

SurferDoc on October 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Amen, and well said!!!

capejasmine on October 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Gotta admit, Cain is growing on me, too.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

No one is going to have a chance to vote for Cain. The Republicans that pushed the Florida primary to January did so to cut out the competition for guys just like Cain (who won the straw poll but has no money and little time to get it now). I smell Mittens.

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM

All that is on top of his total ignorance of foreign policy (right of return was a symptom of a terminal disease). material.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, you’re right…Mitt “Peacetime” Romney is the only hope for our great nation.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I’m gonna work the phones for Cain…. Mittens supporters are behind the change in primary dates…. changing their date results in the loss of FL delegates.. why would FL want to do that???

Cain can win if we get behind him.

kringeesmom on October 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Actually Mitt has had lost of foreign contacts through his global business ventures. He has also been working quietly on enhancing his knowledge of the most recent events and actors:

Romney talks about Israel

Romney meets with top British officials

Can you name a candidate with better experience, knowledge and contacts?

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Damn, I better find the pictures I took 2 years ago at Herman Cain’s Tea Party rally in Georgia. If he wins the W.H. my kid could make a few bucks on Antique’s Roadshow someday.

Buy Danish on October 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Actually Mitt has had lost lots of foreign contacts through his global business ventures. He has also been working quietly on enhancing his knowledge of the most recent events and actors:

Nice typo Brutus :-)

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

To stop the momentum, kringeesmom, of guys like Cain and even Christie if he gets in. If the other states change their primary dates they lose delegates, too, but Mittens’ minions don’t care. It’s a winner takes all anyway, and it’s a lock. St. Sarah is the only one who has the $ and notoriety that if she declares soon she could pose a serious threat to Romney and maybe whoop him. If she doesn’t declare this next week that she’s in, she’s not.

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Can you name a candidate with better experience, knowledge and contacts?

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I’d wager that Gingrich has bigger balls than him in that area if you like studied candidates so much. The point is that everyone, even perfectly-coiffed robotmen, make gaffes or otherwise, aren’t programmed with every minute detail there is to know about FP under the sun. And the Mitt gaffe is really bad because it was a published article. What’s worse–not knowing the definition of ‘peacetime’ or the more obscure ‘right of return’? You decide. Just be consistent.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Who are these mortals caring citizens who dare challenge question The Establishment? We The Establishment forbid late entries in this race request that American people select from the fine slate already available to them. The Establishment has ordered requested that FL hold its primary earlier thus forcing encouraging other states to do likewise. We know that this will dissuade foolish mortals who dare to challenge may inconvenience some who have planned to run. However, The Establishment knows that the choice is academic anyway. America will welcome The Establishment‘s recommended puppet public servant Mitt Romney with open arms.

Signed,
The Establishment

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Nice typo Brutus :-)

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

It’s okay to have a typo here and there when you’ve established yourself as a smart person who’s a good writer. Let it go. ;-)

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

MJBrutus: What you say about Mitt is true and I understand why you promote him. But I think he’s a gutless wonder. That said, he can beat Obama because he appeals to moderates, some independents and Democrats, so that trumps my opinion.

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Gingrich is a knowledgeable man. I don’t consider him to be a serious contender, but I do respect him, including his ability to work with foreign governments.

As I tried to say, Cain’s answer wasn’t a gaffe. A gaffe is a slip of the tongue by someone who knows better. Cain was out of his depth on something that I consider to be common knowledge.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

TY. And I respect you as well :-)

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I can understand why you have that opinion of him. I won’t try to change your opinion, that’s his job :-)

I find many of his “flaws” to be assets. But I am both biased and tend to look at things differently than many others do.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM

But I think he’s a gutless wonder.

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I’ve watched Romney for quite some time now and I just can’t put him under the “gutless” category. He handles himself pretty well out on the street when challenged by aggressive reporters and/or hecklers (ok, he maybe needed to check his temper a wee bit that time against the heckler at the Iowa Sate Fair soapbox). What he is is very cautious and handled with extreme care–like fine china. This is why he won’t put his neck out–so it doesn’t get stomped. It’s ambition driving him and his people. Power-lust. Rise to the top any way possible. No sense of servility to the people. Just a means to an end my friends, means to an end.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Cain was out of his depth on something that I consider to be common knowledge.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I disagree that it’s common knowledge, MJ, particularly for novice politicians and non-wonks. I can see how his people may have neglected getting him up to speed on all these FP terms as their main focus is promoting his business acumen and experience in that area, but it’s good that they were made aware of the weakness early on in the campaign season and have time to get crackin’ on it. Even senators who serve on committees and attend high-level meetings make gaffes in this area (circa 2008), so Cain gets a pass from me. Yes, it helps he’s charming as hell, too.

Gotta run for now. Take care all.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

RepubChica: Not a servant’s heart like Sarah said. Nor does he have Cain’s integrity. We still have to beat Obama. But let’s keep in mind Obama may lose if primaried and it could be Hillary or a moderate Democrat we face, so it would be to our advantage to put up a Republican who can run on his/her private and public sector experience.

gracie on October 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Yes, it helps he’s charming as hell, too.

Gotta run for now. Take care all.

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

He is a good guy. I loved when he said he would bring a sense of humor to the WH! No place is it more needed :-)

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

American idol system for picking candidates. i like that. that’s what gave us obama.

abcurtis on October 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

RepubChica on October 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Mitt served both at the Olympics and as a Governor with a One Dollar salary and at the Olympics ONLY received compensation if the Olympics made a profit…which so far has been the ONLY Olympics to make a profit which was ran by who? Romney! So I would say that Mitt has ALWAYS served the people with the right attitude and also is not gutless as you also corrected Gracie on.

Romney is more qualified than any person running for our CURRENT situation that this country is faced with and if you are looking at everyone’s resume’s to hire I would be calling him immediately asking when can you start?

I really like Cain BUT BUT he does not have a lot of depth and experience in multiple disciplines that a POTUS needs and those are facts.

g2825m on October 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Ever heard of Mitt Romney? I heard he was a bit of a business man too.

The man has his virtues and talents, but he is certainly not POTUS material.

MJBrutus on October 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Because of course Brutus, Cain is going to submit his plan for a national sales tax before he gets the other tax rates lowered. The man thinks in phases, you don’t think he’s had to deal with phasing in complicated policy changes before? He’s turned around two large companies. Mitt Romney “saved” the Olympics, which is a one-time deal.

Economically, Mitt Romney’s plan has north of 50 friggen points. You’re worried about Cain’s 3 points but blithely ignore Romney’s rabbit hole of 50+ separate warps through the overburdened tax code? Math must not be your strong suit – but it is Herman Cain’s, seeing as he has a Mathematics degree.

As for Foreign Policy, you’re extrapolating one data point infinitely as a “symptom.” Well, Romneycare is a “symptom” that Mitt Romney is a big fan of mandates, and Romney’s multitude of flip-flops are “symptoms” that his political word is as good as Barack Hussein Obamas – e.g. whatever Mitt Romney tells you has an expiration date.

Moreover Herman Cain was exactly correct about the nature of the purely Islamic radicals. The purposeful ignorance of elements like Nidal Malik Hassan caused the death of 14 people. If he was perhaps a bit too blunt on it, that’s preferable to Romney-esque calculated silence and timid, late endorsements on every issue.

Romney can certainly hold his own if he gets the nomination, which at least makes him superior to Rick Perry. But Romney is in every way inferior at the top of the ticket to Cain. Whatever holes in Cain’s metrics for electability can be patched up with a Vice President’s penchant for fundraising and geographic base. You cannot patch up Romney’s ideological holes with a VP, just as Cheney could not prevent Bush from pushing amnesty.

BKennedy on October 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM